PDA

View Full Version : Definitely budget related - weddings

swilshire
05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
DD 24 just became engaged and we're already going crazy trying to plan the July 2011 wedding. When DH and I were married, he built an arbor in the backyard and we were married there. The reception was held on the porch. No provisions for rain (which it did, but fortunately early in the morning and not enough to make it muddy). Can't remember where we borrowed the chairs from. I worked part-time in a restaurant and they furnished the food at cost. Lots of our friends contributed to the wedding in lieu of gifts. The grooms cake, the flowers for the top of the wedding cake, the video, the photos, the dj .... all gifts.

DD has considered and rejected several venues for the wedding. We'd all like a beach wedding, but two elderly grandmothers can't travel far, so we need to stay local. Some of the prices are ridiculous. We found one place that was very reasonable, but the port-a-johns ruined the otherwise perfect place.

Any and all tips appreciated. We're going to look tomorrow at one place that would be very nice, but we'd have to rent our own tent(s), chairs and tables. No idea how much all of that would cost.

:confused3:confused3:confused3

Sheila

mrsklamc
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Can the port a johns be moved?

gillenkl
05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
My DD10 was watching "Disney Dream Weddings with David Tutera" on tv this morning......there's a budget buster.....she better start saving now!:rotfl2:

I don't have any advice but congratulations to your DD!!:bride:

jlodoj
05-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats to your daughter! I think she may be saying the port-a-johns are the bathroom options.

mrsklamc
05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Congrats to your daughter! I think she may be saying the port-a-johns are the bathroom options.

Oh, I get it now...I'm a little slow. :) I thought they were just ruining the ambience.

I wanted a beach wedding too...just immediate family and then a reception at home. DH veto'd , wanted his whole extended family there...Just thought I would suggest it since every family dynamic is different.

laurafergie
05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I have no idea of what your budget is - But renting tents and chairs are not as scary as you may think. When my parents remarried (long story) we did an outdoor wedding for 150 folks. Rented tents, tables, chairs, dishware, silverware etc.. The rental costs were a few thousand plus or minus. And they set up and took down the tents and delivered everything.

I want to say everything, including rental, food, cake and dress was under $5000. We did have a free place for the wedding to take place though. A photographer friend did the pictures and I catered the food. So that kept the costs down.

You have to get your budget (stick to it) Firmed Up - Then you will see what the options are.

BIG ADVICE - I have catered many events - DO NOT think as Mother of the Bride or your DD as the Bride - that you will have time to do ANYTHING the day before or the day of the wedding as far as work - Those two days you are just the Mom and the Bride. Trust me on this one. (Speaking as someone who has picked up the pieces too many times while everyone is freaking out)

annsteere
05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Go to www.stretcher.com and then go to weddings.

Tietheknot is another site with ideas.

Congrats. Our DD is getting married Sat. It is a wonderful time of life. Great fun and bonding as long as you remember it is HER wedding and she remembers that it is about a marriage not a one day show.

Beware the wedding business machine. We are doing a big budget event and some of the vendors are crazy: My blood pressure went up this week when the dress shop resisted steaming out the seams on her dress to give her an additional inch of space to breathe and dance comfortably. We'd prepaid $250 for alterations and all we wanted was an ironing job so I knew it couldn't be the effort. The consultant said "You will look thinner if you leave it like this." DD is 5'9" and 110 pounds--size 0 or 3!! Somebody has lost their mind.

Deesknee
05-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Congratulations on your DD engagement.

We rented for our kids graduation party. Not a wedding, but....
We rented the medium size tent, I think it was about 15x20, that was $450. The chairs were cushioned and very sturdy they were $1.25 each, the tables were round and sat 10 people the were $6 each. This was just last summer. We could have rented walls on the tent also for weather, but we chanced it & saved the extra money. I was so impressed at what you can rent now a days. A dance floor, ambience lighting, silverware,plates, champagne glasses & fountain, dj equipment, bubble machines, cotton candy machines, the list went on and on. The company we went thru did delivery & set up the tent, we set the tables & chairs up.

I do agree with the previous poster, don't try to do anything yourself. I didn't enjoy my kids graduation the way I should have, because I was too busy doing "hostess" stuff. And that was with 2 awesome friends taking control of setting up food buffets & alot of the clean up. Make sure you enjoy this day.

EKW
05-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I take it you don't have a faith community...that would be my first stop for an inexpensive venue.

How about local art galleries, museums, etc? Are there any community halls? Community centers? Nondemonitational chapels (Odd Fellows, etc)? Historical homes that are on the parks registry?

You might call your local Chamber of Commerce and ask if they know of any local sites that host weddings.

Good luck!

4Seasons
05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
What about a local botanical gardens?

Disfamily0405
05-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't know how much your budget is for but I can tell you I had a cheap wedding...all told license, venue, food, cake, decorations, dress, hubby's outfit, everything cost me roughly $2500. I decided to get super crafty and so I decorated everything myself, with the help of some wonderful friends and family. so my suggestion would be to think creatively about the port-a-johns. I used some really cheap satin like fabric and tulle I got at Hobby Lobby (ours occasionally has all wedding stuff 1/2 off) to conceal the less than desirable things such as the bathroom and storage room, it was still accessible but didn't stick out and ruin the ambiance. I have to say I should have bought stock in 3M stick up hooks, I used them EVERYWHERE, just bunched up the tulle or cloth and tied them with some pretty ribbon and then hung the ribbon on the hook. I have to say it was easy and beautiful. The funny thing was that our Disneymoon cost almost DOUBLE what our wedding cost :lmao:
Congrats to your DD, whatever y'all decide on always remember it is the happiest day of her life and no matter how lavish or budget it is nothing will change that.:bride:

swilshire
05-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Can the port a johns be moved?

Yes, but then there would be no where to go. :laughing:

Definitely not good.

DD looked at the fancy trailer toilet rentals and they were quite expensive.

Sheila

swilshire
05-23-2010, 07:08 AM
What about a local botanical gardens?

They are definitely on the list. They have pictures of beautiful weddings on their website. The local art museum was one of the first places she called. $3000 for the first 3 hours and they don't furnish anything.

We're trying to do this on a tight budget, but as mentioned above, everything is just crazy.

Sheila

4Seasons
05-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Yes, but then there would be no where to go. :laughing:

Definitely not good.

DD looked at the fancy trailer toilet rentals and they were quite expensive.

Sheila

So if they cannot be moved and are the ONLY obstacle to an otherwise perfect venue, can some type of screen be constructed so they cannot be seen?

Ress76
05-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Is a local park an option? We were married in an enclosed pavillion (actually, an old farmhouse) a overlooking Lake Ontario, and the site cost us $150 for the day. A friend did the catering, our best man and his wife made out cake, my mom made my dress, friends helped decorate. As a PP poster said, the honeymoon cost mroe than the wedding.

There are a lot of places you can cut corners on a wedding-Friday evenings is generally cheaper than Saturdays. A smaller wedding in obviously cheaper than a larger one. Photography/videography can be very expensive. Food is expensive. You and your daughter just need to sit down and see where herr dream-fairytale-perfect wedding can be altered a little bit to fit the budget. For us, we always wanted a small wedding (still wound up being larger than I'd have liked, but DH has a HUGE close family), we wanted it to be local, I've known what I wanted for a wedding dress since college. It can be done :):bride:

hffmnheidi
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Make sure you check out the dollar stores for paper plates, napkins, cups, paper tablecloths, and wedding bubbles for the guests. You'd be surprised at how dollar store items can be transformed with a little creativity.

You can always purchase wedding stamps and ink pads and stamp the napkins and cups with a wedding icon. Don't do it on the plates because the ink could possibly run into the food items. Same idea with the tablecloths. Spice up the bubble jars by tying some wedding ribbon around the lids. You could possibly save on the ribbons by using a Michael's coupon.

Colleen27
05-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Have you looked around at state/county parks? They usually have real restrooms and such, but tend to be beautiful and quite affordable. The only hitch might be alcohol; we had a couple parks in mind for ceremony & reception until we learned they don't allow alcohol.

Another idea, and one I wish I'd thought of when I was planning my wedding, is to look for unusual gardens/farms that might host ceremonies. There's a privately-owned garden in our community that hosts events but is primarily a showcase of the plants the family sells at their greenhouse/nursery, and there's a lavender farm in the area that is also available for wedding services. My 8yo has already decided she's getting married on the lavender farm after we went for an afternoon tea there; it is just so beautiful and everything smells amazing with acres of lavender blowing in the breeze!

swilshire
05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
So if they cannot be moved and are the ONLY obstacle to an otherwise perfect venue, can some type of screen be constructed so they cannot be seen?

It's not the sight of them that we object to so much as USING them in July temps. Yuck!

Sheila

Illuminations_Rocks
05-23-2010, 06:22 PM
It's not the sight of them that we object to so much as USING them in July temps. Yuck!

Sheila

If that's the case, can you look into one of the "luxury" porta potty rentals? They are WAY nicer than the regular old port a lets and some even offer "flushing" capability.

tommya60
05-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Two friends are in the planning stages for their daughter's weddings....both have found that calling and asking for quotes for a catered dinner resulted in significantly lower costs--even after adding in cake cutting/serving and some other 'extras'.

If you have any colleges/universities nearby you might try there. A local college has a beautiful conference center, lovely gardens, etc. It's not ideal for a wedding during the school year because of parking problems, but it's great in the summer when school is not in full session.

Mrs. Charming
05-23-2010, 06:49 PM
This isn't venue-related, but I read about this when I was getting married and it worked beautifully. I read that instead of getting your alterations done at the bridal shop, go to your local (reputable!) tailor/dry cleaner who does tailoring! I got all my alterations including beading and bustling for $60!

MrsPete
05-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Can the port a johns be moved?Or screened off?

Another thing . . . please, please come up with a back-up plan for bad weather! I have worked enough weddings (catering and cakes) to know that it's not uncommon at all for rain to ruin a bride's plans. And it doesn't always have to be rain: I clearly remember once -- I was only about 10 and was working with my mom -- the family was in the front yard having the wedding, and we were in the back yard with all the food, just waiting for the reception to begin. It was a VERY windy day, and the top layer of the wedding cake blew off. Fortunately, I caught it. Unfortunately, my fingers embedded deeply in the icing. Mom and I put it back on and FRANTICALLY covered my finger gouges with additional flowers and flourishes. It was bad, but if I hadn't been standing RIGHT THERE when it happened . . . it could've been worse.

That's not my only outdoor reception problem memory. There was the time the cake table was shakey, so I took my shoes off and waded into the nearby creek to find flat rocks to keep it steady. I had an indoor wedding, and I'll encourage my girls to do the same! Or at least an indoor/outdoor place. Actually, my husband thinks he's already picked out their reception venue -- it's a big party barn near us that does nice stuff. We went to a wedding there about two years ago, and he absolutely loved it.

chicagodisneyfan
05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
If that's the case, can you look into one of the "luxury" porta potty rentals? They are WAY nicer than the regular old port a lets and some even offer "flushing" capability.

We have used the deluxe porty potties at parties - but there are expensive - we have paid $2,000.

They flush, have running water, wood paneling and air conditioning - important in July.

A great option.

snarlingcoyote
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
The funny thing was that our Disneymoon cost almost DOUBLE what our wedding cost :lmao:
Congrats to your DD, whatever y'all decide on always remember it is the happiest day of her life and no matter how lavish or budget it is nothing will change that.:bride:

You sound like a wise woman who knows what is important in life!

eatatmidnight
05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
You do live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I understand why she would like to be married outdoors. Is there anything near Cove Lake or Norris Lake State Parks? I don't remember the size or conditions of the pavillions they have. It has been a while since I was in the area.

Atchley
05-23-2010, 08:31 PM
DSIL lives in the Nashville area and is getting married next July as well. She is having her wedding at one of the plantations down there. I can't remember the name of it, but it will be able to have about 50 guests. The wedding will be out in front of the home and the reception will be on the patio behind it.
I noticed that you are in the tn area. I would just google wedding plantation nashville, tn and see what you come up with. There are several around the area. Good luck.

swilshire
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
You do live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I understand why she would like to be married outdoors. Is there anything near Cove Lake or Norris Lake State Parks? I don't remember the size or conditions of the pavillions they have. It has been a while since I was in the area.

We went to one very nice wedding at Norris Lake State Park about 25 years ago. It's also on the list of possibilities. Cove Lake would be a bit out of the way, so I hadn't really considered them.

There are some very nice venues in the Nashville area (nearer to the groom's family but 200 miles from us). We're leaning toward staying near our home because we know florists and bands. Also, more of their friends live here.

So much to decide!

Thanks for all the advice.

Sheila

Stitch And Friends
05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
A suggestion for flowers is to use silk instead of real. A friend of mine found a warehouse that sells silk flowers and they were significantly cheaper than the costs she was getting quoted for real flowers from florists. Since they were silk, she was able to make all the bouquets/arrangements well in advance. They were high quality silk so they looked just as pretty and you definately can't tell in the pictures. The bridesmaids all got to keep our bouquets (mine is sitting in a vase in our guest room - made a beautiful decoration!) and she kept some of the table arrangements and gave the rest to her mom, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunts, etc. It saved a lot of money, plus it gave something that was able to be used after the wedding.

Another idea is instead of giving favors, make a donation to a charity. I have yet to get a wedding favor that I actually did something with after the wedding. We made a donation to Susan G Komen and put a card on each table saying we had done that in lieu of favors. This isn't something that necessarily saves you money (although it could because no one needs to know how much you actually donated), but we felt it was a better use of the money it would cost that on silly favors that half the time get left on the table anyway!

NotUrsula
05-24-2010, 03:27 PM
The magical key to curbing a wedding budget is to find a reception venue that does NOT have an exclusive catering contract. They can be pretty difficult to find, but that is your ace. If you can find one, you can go out on bids for catering, and you'll get a much better price than you would with a caterer that has an exclusive venue contract.

Have you checked local women's clubs? They often will rent out their clubhouses for weddings, though there can be some strict restrictions on use of the venue. (I got married at one of these, and they had a no-beer rule. White wine was allowed, but not beer, because if it spills it gets sticky and smells bad, and all but one room was carpeted.)

Another possibilitiy is the alumni houses of local colleges, and so much the better if you're an alum. Big schools usually lock in the catering, but commuter campuses often do not.

Oh, and about those wedding favors -- don't bother. No one really notices if you don't have them, except people who have recently been involved in planning a wedding. Also, I obviously don't know your religion, but if you are Catholic, Lutheran or Episcopalian and having a church service, you also don't really need church flowers; there will be some on the altar already. There are lovely big sprays of calla lilies in pots next to the altar in my wedding photos, but I didn't pay for them; they were the ones that the Altar Society had put out for mass that week. We added a few pew ribbons, but no add'l flowers.

swilshire
05-30-2010, 09:39 AM
We looked at three venues on Friday. None were perfect. One she rejected outright because it was in a state park and they were very strict about the alcohol policies.

She may choose one of them, but is not entirely convinced that it's big enough. It's also sort of oddly shaped. It's on two levels and if it turns out that she needs more tables on the top level, the majority of the guest will be a few feet lower than the bride and groom's table. Also, they would need to move the few tables on the higher level after eating to make room for dancing.

So much to decide.

Sheila

MissouriPrincess
05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
My sister was married two days ago. The wedding and reception was in the groom's parents's backyard. No rain clouds in sight, but it was unseasonably WARM for May in Kansas. I was in the wedding party, and we were drenched in sweat before the ceremony ever began. I'd keep that in mind. It was difficult to not think about how uncomfortable I was all day. I felt like my make-up was running down my face. I was self-conscious about sweating. The men had it worse in their black tuxedos.

Even the wedding guests went through the bottled water quickly. The ice melted almost immediately in the punch. It wasn't long before the only thing left to drink was alcohol--not a bad thing for some people, I suppose, but I really don't like the taste of wine or beer. We kept going in the house for water.

swilshire
05-31-2010, 06:38 PM
MissouriPrincess,

Thanks for the info, but I've been forbidden to mention how hot it is going to be in July again. At least the leading venue right now is air conditioned for the reception. The ceremony will be outside, but is relatively short.

The second leading place is totally outdoors (we'd have to rent a tent) but we visited in the afternoon and it was well shaded from the afternoon sun by tall trees. Definitely a bonus.

Sheila

SRUAlmn
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
My DD10 was watching "Disney Dream Weddings with David Tutera" on tv this morning......there's a budget buster.....she better start saving now!:rotfl2:

I don't have any advice but congratulations to your DD!!:bride:

Actually, Disney weddings can be very affordable. My sister got married in her hometown and I had a Disney wedding and they cost about the same, only for mine, we didn't have to do any of the work ;)

erin.w
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Not to sound rude, but I am in the process of planning my wedding and in order to have the wedding we want, we are paying for it. My mom was able to give me as much money as she thought appropriate and we are saving for the next year in order to have the wedding we want.

Oh and we are planning for a Disney wedding!

mrsklamc
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Not to sound rude, but I am in the process of planning my wedding and in order to have the wedding we want, we are paying for it. My mom was able to give me as much money as she thought appropriate and we are saving for the next year in order to have the wedding we want.

Oh and we are planning for a Disney wedding!

OP and her daughter are simply shopping around to find the best location, for the best price. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess I just don't understand what the point of your post is.

erin.w
05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
I understand the need to shop around, I thought she was concerned that her daughter would not find a location she liked in her budget.

My post was not intended to sound rude - in my wedding I have learned how much things cost - and that's where I have learned to cut costs in areas not as important to me.

To the original poster - I have found it helpful to find 3 factors that are most important to us and to go from there for planning. Your daughter may find that helpful, as many people have told me to do that!

MeggerasMa
05-31-2010, 09:15 PM
We recently hosted out daughter's wedding and were able to locate a lovely restored train station that has a restaurant inside with great food. They were very accommodating (since DD's preference was for the ceremony to be outside, weather permitting) and worked with a local church for rental of chairs. DD selected the train station lobby as the "alternate" ceremony location if the weather was anything less than perfect. Needless to say, in NE PA in April, it was too windy with threatening skies, so indoors we were. The high ceiling, period lighting, velvet curtained archways created an intimate setting. Even our florist was cooperative with moveable pieces that we were able to use in the lobby for the ceremony and then place in the restaurant for the reception. Sorry for the unnecessary details - my point is, perhaps your local historic society would be able to offer suggestions. Best of luck to your and your DD.

beansmom
06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
i do agree that ya have to think outside of the box on location. I would have LOVED to have my wedding at this wonderful medieval castle in Gloucester, MA but the venue was $3k alone...just the venue. Nothing else. And everyone would have had to travel.

Instead, we are getting married at a Renaissance Faire in Dallas--I am from there and a good portion of my friends and family are already there...David's family would have had to travel no matter where we got married. The package at the Faire is $2560 for wedding garden, reception pavillion, food, flowers, live period music during the ceremony, the cake, officiant and admission for 30 guests. Additional guests are $40 a head. Even at 50 guests, we are at less than $5k for the wedding. I'm having my dress made by a seamstress for $180 with me providing the fabric. We are giving jars of honey harvested by a friend for favors as well as cd's with the wedding/Renaissance music on them. And tiny castle frames...they are actually placecard frames but we are putting thank you cards in them and giving them. They are $1 each..pretty affordable, imo.

Everyone we tell is quite enthusiastic about the venue...including David's 93 yr old mother!

There are some amazing venues most any place...I would definitely ask around. Community centers...what about apartment clubhouses of someone you know? We used to live in an apartment and I would KILL to be able to rent their clubhouse for a reception now. And, yeah, I really don't envy yer July outside. Ick.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :) p.s. try www.craftster.org for DIY ideas.

swilshire
06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
We have many historic buildings in the area, but most are very high dollar. I suggested the local train station, but one of DD's friends was married there recently and she didn't want to "copy" her.

Sheila

MeggerasMa
06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Sorry if my post implied our train station wedding was high dollar! We didn't have to pay anything for use of the station. In fact, the owner of the restaurant section within it was thrilled, as well as the small community it is located in and the folks who worked so hard at the restoration. We really didn't have much time to plan or to come up with the $$$ for a large expensive to do. So we did what we could afford at short notice. It was just a thought. I'm sure you will come up with something suitable to both your DD and your wallet! Happy planning!

Tigge50447
06-02-2010, 11:29 AM
My brother got married on a boat (on the hudson river) it was much cheaper then any of the places in upstate NY. Not sure if you have off seasons but winter rates up here are always cheaper. I planned my wedding (which didn't actually happen, long story) but it was at one of the best locations in our area but in March which was an off date and on a Friday night. They did however they wanted to charge us $75 per person to test the food. which was odd

savannahcat
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Have you thought about a bed & breakfast? We were married (13 years ago) at a beautiful one. We rented all of the rooms (6) for the weekend, but that was our only venue cost. We had about 60 guests and paid around $6K for the entire event (dress inlcuded). Both the ceremony and reception were outdoors, but could have been indoors if necessary, although it would have been tight.

LisaInNc
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
July in TN outside? Men in jackets and ties and women in dresses? Add in dancing? I would say definately inside with air conditioning for the reception.

I wish you a lot of luck!

Lisa

kayrosek
06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Community centers would definatley be one suggestion we have several around here that are very inexpensive (some as low as 75 for the night). Also unusual hotels. DH and I were married at a local Comfort Suites. Their banquet room was really pretty which was surprising for how cheap it was. We paid $750 for the room, tables, chairs, linens etc and finger food buffet.

B714210
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
My DD was married in Disney (on GF beach) in October. Pricey. But, she and groom wanted an at home reception for guests who didn't make the trip to FL. Best money saving idea... we went around to different venues. Looked at the luncheon menus. Prices were 50- 65% cheaper than dinner menus. We asked to have the reception in the evening, but serve the "lunch" portion. Since it was early Nov. and "slow", they OK'd it. No fee for the room, by the way, they were grateful for the business. Bottom line? A beautiful reception at the Hilton Garden Inn, steak and chicken for $12-14 a plate, including beverage and sides. It was cheaper for 175 guests to come to that reception than the rehearsal dinner for 25 in Disney.:thumbsup2 Call around, and don't give up until you negotiate the wedding DD wants at a price you can afford.

swilshire
06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Yep. This is going to be expensive.

Wrote the check today for the selected venue. Went to a "yard sale" at a wedding venue that went out of business and bought a few things.

Looked at dresses Friday. The two front runners weren't too expensive, but DD looked at a little cloth flower that she liked better than the glittery decoration on the strap of the dress. It was $150. A tiny little head band was $180.

We ordered shoes today because DD found some she loved and she was afraid they would be sold out soon because they're a summer style.

It's fun to plan, but definitely a money pit.

Sheila

mommy2_3
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
me and DH got married in a park in an enclosed shelter. it was in Dec. so after xmas we got a bunch of things on sale, lights, red flowers, these little holiday bears, ect.... we spent around $2000 for everything. the most expensive thing was the dress. $350. we had his uncles do the video and photo, the cake we got at walmart for $150 (beautiful cake at that!), my mom and stepdad paid for the food (that was our gift) and had a retired judge come and do the cermony for $50, we got a drink fountain at walmart for $50.
i got alot of things at walmart! invites, my veil, headpiece, bouquet (fake), the little flowers for the guys, rose petals, and i made the flower girl basket.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/proudmommy2b/wedding/134589-R1-03-21A_004.jpg my mom set the cake up and made it slanted lol

we didnt have the best wedding (long story) but me and DH are married and happy and thats all that matters!

swilshire
06-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Forgot to add that we have an appointment with the wedding photographer this afternoon. Hope he doesn't want a lot of money up front.

We are going to economize on some things, but DD wants certain things that I can't really argue with. Different things mean a lot to different people and I'm trying to let her lead the way. She's very level headed, so it should be OK.

Sheila

Shyvioletisme
06-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Forgot to add that we have an appointment with the wedding photographer this afternoon. Hope he doesn't want a lot of money up front.

We are going to economize on some things, but DD wants certain things that I can't really argue with. Different things mean a lot to different people and I'm trying to let her lead the way. She's very level headed, so it should be OK.

Sheila

to me photography is something that you definitely shouldn't cut costs on. These will be the things you have forever left over from your wedding day and a good photographer was the thing with our wedding we wouldn't budge on. It was our most expensive part of the wedding. Definitely don't buy accessories or headband type stuff from a bridal salon. Have your daughter check Etsy for stuff like that. People make AMAZING stuff on there and at much cheaper rates than you can get in a store.

beansmom
06-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I think you guys should diy whatever you can. I was going to comission a floral headwreath for my ren faire wedding then realized with some silk flowers and a gluegun I can do it myself and have exactly what I want. I made a BEAUTIFUL wreath....and since, my fiance and my gf have both insist i try to make a cottage business from it!

We are also having a very small (6 or so) legal ceremony in Newport, RI in September. I am making a small centerpiece with sand (free from the beach), shells, willowbranches in a large glass container. I made a second beach themed headwreath and purchased my dress for $17 at Burlington Coat factory the other day.

We'll have a small cupcake and finger food 'reception' back at our hotel. It's all what you think is most important. If money is an issue, things have to be compromised on.

Tenn in July? Oy!

swilshire
06-14-2010, 11:24 AM
to me photography is something that you definitely shouldn't cut costs on. These will be the things you have forever left over from your wedding day and a good photographer was the thing with our wedding we wouldn't budge on.

Well said!

We hired the photographer we met with because we both liked him so much that we knew we'd be heart broken if he booked another wedding on DD's date. I'm sure we could have found cheaper, but not for the quality and attention that we'll get with this person.

He has photographed one of DD's friend's wedding and the shots I've seen are just tremendous.

Sheila

disneywatcher
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
When I got married, my mom and I made my center pieces. We hot glued glass candle holders into medium sized globes then added pot pouri around the candle holders. We placed purple candles into the candle holders and hot glued purple ribbon around the top and bottom of the globes and covered the seams with a little silk rose.

My veil was bought on sale (head band) and I took it to the same place that did my dress alterations and they made it detatchable for free. I wore plain white ballet flats that my mom decorated. My aunt and mom bought lace at a store and a plain silk guest book and decorated those themselves. We used lace circles and plastic spoons with kisses for our favors (the tag read "A spoonfull of kisses from the Mr and the Mrs."). We also used the lace circles and pot pouri to make things to be tossed at us when we left the reception although most opted to keep them as favors as well. My mom's friend from church made us a beautiful 2 tiered cake in purple and white. I got my dress from a resale shop but it was brand new still with tags. The dress cost me 500 dollars but was originally priced at around 2k. Dont be afraid to shop around and possibly do some DIY work.