PDA

View Full Version : Anyone vacation on the CT coast?

katie111
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
We are looking to do something different this year for vacation. We live in MA & usually vacation in NH or Cape Cod (or Disney of course!). We're looking at renting a house on the CT seashore. Right now we're looking at Niantic (Black Point), Stonington, and Old Saybrook. Has anyone vacationed in any of these towns? How were the beaches? Are there many amenities around, i.e. restaurants, mini golf, go karts, etc? We're looking for somewhere to have an old fashioned kind of vacation, lots of biking, playing on the beach, going out for ice cream, etc.

Thanks!

cel_disney
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, I didnt vacation there, but I pretty much grew up in Old Saybrook CT!

Its a little beach town (but you need to end up south of Rt 1, not north or you will feel too far away) - with ice cream parlors, a movie theatre, and mini-golf all in the vacinity!

Mystic, Connecticut is also very nice - if you didnt choose to stay there -it would be well worth a day visit to see the aquarium, the seaport, etc from Old Saybrook or Niantic...

aejammers
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Grew up in Old Saybrook but now we rent a house in Niantic every summer. I think Niantic is much more suited to the ride bikes, get ice cream vacation you want. To get to town from the beach areas in OS is quite a hike on a bike.

The beaches in Niantic are very nice. You should also check rentals in Crescent Beach area. Downtown Niantic has a movie theater, great seafood restaurants, and you get that beach feel everywhere

Its also very easy to get to Mystic (Seaport and Aquarium), Submarine museum in Groton, Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun if you want to gamble one night, and The Dinosaur PLace in Oakdale if you have small kids. If you stay in OS and want to do any of these, you have to fight the traffic on I-95 getting over the bridge from OS into Old Lyme.

I think you would have a great time in Niantic!

gk90
05-21-2010, 03:40 PM
We've vacationed in Newport RI which would be well worth a day trip; other good day trips from Niantic in addition to Mystic would be New Haven (if you're interested in Yale & museums) and Narragansett. As for beaches it's been 20+ years since I was in Niantic but I remember they were beautiful with big rocks and big waves.

HeatherC
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I would suggest the Charlestown, RI area. They have beautiful beaches and lots of beach cottages within walking distance of the beach. Do a google search for Blue Shutters Beach or East Beach and Ninigret.

And if you want to spend more money...there's alway Block Island!!!! GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!!

lovinpoohbear
05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
www.ocean-beach-park.com New London, Ct beach and boardwalk with one of the best beaches voted by National Geographic. It also has a swimming pool and a little amusement park with an antique merry go round, bumper cars etc. It also has a little "splash" sprinker water play area that is free to get into.
My sister in law goes here every year and raves about it. She says it is clean and quiet, just what she is looking for when getting away!!!

katie111
05-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks so much for the replies! We've narrowed it down to a cottage in Niantic & one in Latimer Point (Stonington) as these are the ones we can find for the week that we want (July 4th week). I did check out Charlestown & Old Saybrook but couldn't find anything we wanted that was available. We're pretty last minute for a very popular week.

Thanks for the Ocean Park beach suggestion. We actually did a long weekend last yesr in CT and went there for a day. My kids loved it so we will definitely make a daytrip there again this year. I'm glad you reminded me of that!

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!