PDA

View Full Version : What is the absolute cheapest place to stay in or near Charleston,SC?

MomofSixinSC
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I won a one-year family membership to the SC Aquarium yesterday! :cool1: I am really excited to take my children. But it is a 3.5 hour drive from the Upstate area of SC, where we live. It would certainly be more fun to stay overnight somewhere and may hit the beach while we are that close.:beach:

But we have very little money. Our budget for a Disney trip is $300 + gas for the 8 of us. Does anyone know a really cheap, but not scuzy place we can spend one or two nights?

NCRedding
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
That is a tough one. Downtown would probably be out of budget, but you may want to try the Best Western King Charles Inn on Meeting Street, near the market. It does offer free parking which is unusual for the downtown area.

Look at North Charleston around the coliseum area. The hotels are fairly new and it isn't a bad drive into downtown Charleston. I think you will have to pay to park in a garage at the aquarium. There may be some on street parking around there.

Nice win. Check on their website to see if you get free or reduced entrance to any other zoos, aquariums, etc.

WDWAurora
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
We stayed at the Days Inn across the bridge from downtown. Not fancy, but fine. It was convenient to the beaches, too.

southernprincess1
05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Summerville, SC is a town you might want to consider. My husband and I stayed there to avoid the high hotel costs of Charleston. I believe it was about 10-15 minutes from Charleston. It's a nice town and had serveral hotel and restaurant options.

swilshire
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
We got the Embassy Suites North Charleston on Priceline for under $50 all in Easter weekend. It took several tries and we only got it for Friday night. Never had any luck with Thursday. Great breakfast and nachos Friday evening. The place was full of families.

Sheila

stacyalisa
05-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey neighbor:wave2:

Sorry, I can't help you on where to stay but I went there w/ my third grader's class a few months ago and they had a good time. Hope y'all do too.:thumbsup2

MSSANDRA
05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
I want to hear about the 300.oo WDW trip:lovestruc

MomofSixinSC
05-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I want to hear about the 300.oo WDW trip:lovestruc

Here is how our budget breaks down:
4 nights at Fort Wilderness Campground in the value season = $198 (incl. tx)
All meals cooked at campsite = same price as eating at home = $0
One day at MK using GAD vouchers = $76.50 (for 3yo, who was too young to volunteer)
Other days spent at campground, DTD, or touring other hotels = $0

Total cost = $274.50

That does not include gas costs driving there and back. However, part of that cost has been defrayed as well - someone at church offered us a $50 gas card to use for the trip. :woohoo: