PDA

View Full Version : favorite counter service restaurants

dlann03
05-20-2010, 09:11 AM
When eating in the parks or hotels, we stick to counter service restaurants to save money. What are your favorites? We will be staying at OKW and visiting all four parks. So far, our favorite is Cosmic Ray's in MK because there are many lines and plenty of choices.

abmitch01
05-20-2010, 09:14 AM
DD and I loved the patisserie in France for a quick lunch. Disappointed in Flametree BBQ.

DD and I also ate bfast and lunch at Aloha Isle one day eating just dole whips:thumbsup2

eatatmidnight
05-20-2010, 09:24 AM
We like to eat at Sunshine Seasons in The Land when we are at Epcot.

abmitch01
05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
oh yeah, we had a meal there twice, great both times

plus, the kids got a kick out of knowing the veggies were from the Land ride

bootleg89
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Wolf Gang Puck in DTD was our absolute favorite.

mickey2010
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
earl of sandwich in dtd my family loves this place

cjnix29
05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Have to second some of the suggestions here. Sunshine Seasons, Cosmic Ray's, and Earl of Sandwich (there is a AAA discount for the Earl). All because large portions and we share meals. Great bang for your buck!

dfchelbay
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Pecos Bill's in the Magic Kingdom. HUGE portions and generous condiments bar too. :thumbsup2

Mickey527
05-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Everyone already listed all my favorites. I LOVE the CS place in Mexico but they are closed for remodeling. I always got the Plato de Combinacion and a Margarita from the booth just outside. (I got the margarita first). Looking forward to their opening, a great place to sit with a drink and nachos to watch Illuminations.
Sunshine Seasons is a can't miss with the family because there is something for everyone. I usually get the chicken or salmon from the grill but my family likes other things and here we don't have to go all over for their favorites.
Peco's Bills has a great toppings bar. Your plain old burger is like a deluxe by the time you add the mushrooms, melted cheese, lettuce and tomato, pickles and grilled onions. No better burger.
Earl of Sandwich used to be one of my favorites but I can't eat bread anymore and their sandwiches are all about the bread. But don't pass it up, it is fantastic.
the QS in Morocco has great 1/2 chicken with some tasty sides. Definately a meal to share.
If you have a car try the QS at Coronado Springs. It is a little more pricy but again, many choices for everyone. they have Italian, Grill, Chinese, and a deli among others. Also, you are seated and your drinks are brought with free refills, but you have to leave a tip.

soccermomof3
05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Casey's Corner in Magic Kingdom is one of our favorites!!!!

okeydokey
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I can't stand Cosmic Rays. It's always crazy with different check outs depending on what food you are buying and hard to find a seat no matter what time of year or day. In MK we love Columbia Harbor House. We sit upstairs away from the lines.

In Epcot, Sunshine Seasons is great, with lots of varieties and you only have to check out once. There are several on the WS that are good too, Morocco, China.

AK we used to love Tusker House but now it's sit down so we do Flame Tree. At DS, the choices are not good but we do stick with Backlot Express.

4Seasons
05-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Pecos Bill's in the Magic Kingdom. HUGE portions and generous condiments bar too. :thumbsup2

Yeah we love this one too!

clowe247
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
MK- columbia harbor house,
AK- flame tree ( down fall, ducks and birds bombard you when you sit down eat)

HS- no favorites

EP- england fish and chips ( yorkshire)

DDD- WG puck express

Pepper Market at cornado Springs

Listen to this weeks dis unplugged they have the good and bad counter service and TS restaraunts

SunnieRN
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Wolf Gang Puck in DTD was our absolute favorite.

If you are on the QS dining plan, this is a GREAT use of a CS meal. If you are OOP it is a bit more expensive than most CS locations.

earl of sandwich in dtd my family loves this place

Great value if you are out of pocket and not on the dining plan!;)

Magic Kingdom: CHH or Cosmic Rays, for the same reason. Lots of choices!

Epcot: Tangeriene Cafe the schwarma platter. We often get the Yorkshire fish and chips as a snack and share among us!!

AK: We usually eat back at the Mara. We use snack credits for egg rolls at the CS Y&Y or fried rice while we're at the park and we get a pizza for the boys to split.

HS: Starring rolls Cafe, but the kids are harder here, so we take our food t Pizza Planet and get them pizza.

I would also like to try chinese or Japanese CS at Epcot this time. Any good suggestions?

gillenkl
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Poly: Captain Cooks (love the Aloha Pork Sandwich)

MK: Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray

Epcot: Sunshine Seasons

Studios: ABC Commissary and Pizza Planet

AK: Flametree BBQ

Fort Wilderness: Takeout Fried Chicken Meal from Trails End

CR: Contempo Cafe

Sometimes we visit a resort and eat at their CS before going back to the parks at night. Let's us see other resorts and checkout their food.

dlann03
05-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. We leave in one more week and I'm taking a list of restaurants with us. I'm also wondering if AK is still doing "picnic in the park" and, if so, if it is any good.

ilovebassets
05-22-2010, 08:09 AM
cosmic rays at the MK. we also get a kick of sonny eclipse there!

the french patisserie at epcot. yum!

food court at POR. DH still talks about the make your own pasta bar there.

branv
05-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Now I love the whole theme park greasy stuff like burgers, dogs, pizza, etc. But those are all over the park, and after a few days I find myself wanting something hearty but not so oily. So I find my favorite places are those places that offer something different.

We love to go to Liberty Square Market for baked potatoes, corn on the cob and fruit (watermelon, grapes, etc).

Another favorite is Kringla Bakeri -- not just the food but the sweets :thumbsup2 I also think it's one of the best hidden relaxation spots. Even on a 90+ degree day, their patio is cool: it's dark, completely shaded, has fans, and is surrounded by pretty vegetation. But it's small, so shhh...just don't tell anyone I told you ;)

branv
05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. We leave in one more week and I'm taking a list of restaurants with us. I'm also wondering if AK is still doing "picnic in the park" and, if so, if it is any good.

Last I heard, they'd stopped doing it. But I do remember reading they might bring it back during busier times, but I would think that if Easter/Spring Break didn't persuade them to do so, I don't know what will.

Evi
05-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I'd say my favorite is the picnic in the park but I keep reading that its not coming back. Very sad I thought those were the healthiest meals in AKL.

shonnons
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM

I love the condiment bar. This is also the best place to see the SpectroMagic Parade

Shmily1
05-24-2010, 08:04 AM
We ate at PVH at MK week before last and had the parmigian chicken with orzo. It was awesome!! It must be new or seasonal because it's not on the menu board but on a little sign at the cash register. YUM!!

patsal
05-24-2010, 12:41 PM
OKW has pretty cruddy CS, so if you have a car I'd recommend hitting the food courts at other hotels. If you want a nice break from the parks and the over crowded CS try the monorail hotels--it is quick and easy to get there and they are seriously quiet during the day! On an AK day the Mara at AKL has many nice offereings as well.

MarilIncredible
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
We usually do Pecos Bill's at MK. I love the chili.

At DHS, I got a great Greek salad at the backlot last time I was there in Jan. 2009, and I go back and get the same thing again.

At AK, I love Flametree.

At Epcot, I vote for the ham and cheese croissant or baugette at the French Patisserie, or the Yorkshire Fish and Chips. The Moroccan food is good too, but I make stuff like that at home whereas I don't make croissants or batter fried fish at home.

DisneyRunner2009
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
We try to save money by splitting meals. These are some of our favorite CS locations.
Port Orleans-both resorts
MK-Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's
DTD-Earl of Sandwich
DTD-Wolfgang Puck Express
EPCOT-Sunshine Seasons
Poly-Captain Cook's