PDA

View Full Version : Turndown service

lvs_eeyore
08-12-2002, 05:22 AM
I was reading my 2001 Passporter and it said that turndown service is available at all Deluxe Resorts if you ask for it. Is this still the case? I know concierge does it but I didn't realize that you could get that service in a non concierge room. Kinda neat!

BedKnobbery2
08-12-2002, 05:26 AM
Okay, can someone please explain the desire to have this done? I have stayed in hotels that offer turn-down service, and aside from the first time, I have always refused. I guess I fail to see why having someone else come in and turn down the blankets on my bed is A. necessary or B. desirable. What am I missing here?

lvs_eeyore
08-12-2002, 05:40 AM
I just thought it was a nice little extra if someone desired it.

Ramelle
08-12-2002, 05:46 AM
Turndown service is more than just turning back the covers on the bed. They also bring fresh towels, glassware, and straighten the room a little, at least in my experience. It can be a nice thing if you've been using the room since the morning housekeeping.

Enjoy!:p

Purrrrfecta
08-12-2002, 07:03 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

When I stayed at the Beach Club in 1992, we came back to our room every night to find that we had the service. We never requested it, nor were we in concierge.

cinmell
08-12-2002, 07:15 AM
If you are in a deluxe resort you can call Housekeeping when you arrive and request turndown. We did this. We didn't care if they turned down the sheets, but as stated above, fresh towels and taking away the used ones, and clean glasses was nice to have at night.

Disneydenise
08-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Theey use to leave a little chocolate for you and a business card witha poem fom a Disney classic. My children thought that Tinkerbelle was coming nto the room when we went out at night. I loved coming back to the refreshened room and the children kept all the cards. They still have them ,they are 12 years old and the kids love to see them when we look thru the old albums.

jennymouse
08-12-2002, 09:02 AM
Since I got flammed for putting down this service when I haven't actually used this service not too long ago, I think I'll give it a try when we're at AKL. I agree, I should at least try it before putting it down.;) Besides, I think my DD & DGD would get a kick out of it.

Would someone educate me on this? Do I call guest services or housekeeping for this? How do I handle the tip? How much? (Three of us)

cinmell
08-12-2002, 09:09 AM
You can call housekeeping to request this.

Disneylvr
08-12-2002, 09:36 AM
I am thinking about requesting this at AKL next month. No, it is necessary but it could add a little pixie dust to my vacation. :D We had it done, without request, on a non-Disney trip last month and it did make our stay at the hotel a little more special. What does it consist of at the Disney resorts? Just the turn down and fresh towels or do they also put a mint or chocolate on the pillows? A stay at a deluxe resort doesn't come very often for DH and I so we plan to make this a special as possible.

ducklite
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
This is something I really enjoy. You come back to your room...the drapes are shut and a soft light is left on. The beds are turned down with chocolate on the pillows (BWI uses Taffy). The used towels have been replaced with fresh ones, and any full garbage cans have been emptied.

It's just a nice touch.

I leave a $2 tip.

Anne

CaliforniaDreaming
08-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Do I need to call housekeeping everyday for turndown? Staying at the Beach Club...

ducklite
08-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming
Do I need to call housekeeping everyday for turndown? Staying at the Beach Club...

Hey Cali-

In past years, no, it was automatic. It no longer is to my knowledge. I'd call to be sure :)

Anne

karensi
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
I'll be staying at the CR with DD and 2 DGC, I too, think that this is something that they and I will enjoy. On the Disney cruise they came in at night and turned down the sheets and left chocolates on the pillows. The kids thought it was from Tink and may still think this if it happens on our trip to WDW in Oct. Anyway, is $2 the standard tip,as mentioned by ducklite, or do you again tip according to the # of people in your room?

PieInYourEye
08-12-2002, 12:37 PM
When do you tip for turn down? Do you leave the tip there for them at the time, or when you're checking out? If the later, how do you make sure the right person gets the tip?

ducklite
08-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I leave $2 regardless. It seems appropriate for the four minutes it takes to service the room. I leave it each night as I head out to dinner.

Anne

Minnie's Mate
08-12-2002, 01:35 PM
For our family of four, I tip $4.00 per day for housekeeping. We have not taken advantage of the turn down service at WDW, but at other hotels, I tip $1.00 if I am traveling alone and $2.00 if the family is with me. In larger cities (NY, Chicago, SF, LA, etc.), those figures should be doubled.

I leave the housekeeping tip each morning when I leave the room. When I return to "freshen-up" for dinner, I leave the tip for turn down service.

To insure that the tip is received, I either place the tip in an envelope with "Housekeeping" on the outside, or I fold a piece of the stationary in half and write it on the outside with the tip inside the fold. I do this because I once left the tip for housekeeping just laying on the night stand, and it was still there when I returned. The house keeper must have thought I forgot to put the "change" in my pocket before I left.

I budget the tip as part of the room cost. Just as I budget tip as part of a table service meal.