PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a droid? Phone dilemma

casjen
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I have a Palm which I liked, but now I don't love so much. I am eligible for upgrade in August, but my contract doesn't end until December. My phone battery is dying and doesn't hold a charge for long. I also want a phone with email and internet and my phone doesn't do this.

That said, I fell in LOVE with the iphone. But, I'd have to switch to AT &T and DH is on Verizon. The iphone will be about $200.

I saw the Droid at the verizon store and it seemed nice. I want a phone with a toushscreen like the iphone. I do not like Dh's blackberry storm. The Droid will be $150 in August if I upgrade.

I am getting the phone itself as a gift so the cost isn't a major issue.

My question is whether to go to AT & T and deal with a dying phone for 7 more months or upgrade ot the Droid in August and stay on Verizon so DH and I can call each other for free.

I don't know what to do!

RachaelA
05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
DH really wanted IPhones but didn't want to switch from Verizon. So we got droids. We both really like them, but don't love them. I love the Iphone (my brother and SIL have them), but they would have been more expensive initially, plus a more expensive monthly bill and we wouldn't have free mobile to mobile with our family. For us, it wasn't worth it for the Iphones.

jas_mom1
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a Droid and love it. DH has a blackberry and wants to switch to a Droid. There is a new droid incredible which looks more like an iphone.

yellowfish78
05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Which Palm do you have? Have you checked out the Palm Pre? I have that phone with Verizon, DH has the Droid. We both like (and don't like) features on each others phone. With the Pre I have email, internet, 3G, wifi hot spot (in case service is unavailable) and an awesome calender.
Which Palm do you have?

princessdi81
05-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I WOULD NOT recommend the Droid. I got one the day it came out and LOVED it. However, after having it a month, I started having numerous problems - it would randomly dial people, drop calls, and people wouldn't be able to hear me speak. There were also a few other issues with it. After 4 phones (Verizon WILL NOT give you a new phone, only a refurbished one, even if it is still under warranty), I had enough and switched to Sprint! Love my blackberry now!

mistysue
05-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I have a droid Incredible. It is the most wonderful thing I have ever had!:cheer2:
You couldn't pay me enough to drop this for an Iphone. Verizon's network is also a million times better here.

Bill and Jen
05-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Love my Droid, got it the day they were released. My wife has one too.

We both love it and have had no major problems at all. The amount of free apps are great and the free turn by turn navigator is a godsend.

The only thing I would recommend is, if you are waiting until August, wait and see what else is available from verizon, there are 2 new Driods due out by the end of the year, and of course there is the Droid HTC incredible.

The droid IS putting a computer in your pocket. It does everything you could want.

Minniemouse07
05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I got my Motorola Droid at 8am the morning it was released and have loved it since day 1.

I've had absolutely zero problems with my phone...no dropped calls, or other issues at all.

The apps that come on it (google maps, google goggles, etc) are almost enough by themselves but I also love my downloaded apps...barcode scanner/shop savvy, key ring, TED Mobile, NPR news, pandora, slacker, etc.

The turn by turn google map app is priceless to have. When dd got car sick on the way to my Aunt's house on Christmas Eve, all I had to do is say Target into the phone... it found all the Targets in the area, I clicked on the one I wanted and got spoken turn by turn directions. Dd didn't have to sit through a day at my aunt's in pukey pants!

Another huge feature is the full integration between my gmail account, my contacts and my calendar...and my contacts are cross referenced w/ my Facebook account.

I'm extremely happy w/ my Droid...and I thought I was happy w/ my BlackBerry before this! :thumbsup2

GaSleepingBeautyFan
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I just bought a Droid today.

I'm still learning what it can do and how to do it and other than the fact that I accidently deleted my entire contact list an hour ago (ooops), I've been enjoying playing with it.

angwill
05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a samsung moment that is an android phone and love it. This is a sprint phone which if you look at the packages compaired to Verizon, which I had previously, they are less expensive and I can call any other cell phone on any network unlimited. Like another poster said it works with google, gmail, and facebook and has a ton of free apps. It is faster than my home computer too which is sad. Keep in mind because of the speed and all it does the batteries need to be charged throughout the day and do not hold a charge for long periods of time.

SilverSynchro919
05-20-2010, 12:45 AM
I have the Droid and I absolutely love it. The keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to (I'm a textaholic) but I absolutely love it. I had an EnV Touch before this and the touch screen on the Droid is so much more sensitive and way easier to use. I would HIGHLY recommend this phone.

DisneyCaliCouple
05-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Another Droid owner. I've had mine for about three months now and still love it! Have had no problems. I think the Droid is really Verizon's version of the iPhone. They just did an update about a month ago that made it even more similar to the iPhone.
My boyfriend has an iPhone, but wants to switch to Verizon for the service quality. Before he was set in the fact he would only switch if Verizon picked up the iPhone by the time his contract runs out. Now, if Verizon doesn't have the iPhone by then, he's still going to switch and probably get a Droid.

Another bonus, as previous people said, the Free navigation with Google Maps is great! True it may not have as many apps, but there's still a LOT of free apps. Plus I think Verizon's service is so much better than At&T.

Cindyrellablue
05-20-2010, 01:57 AM
I have the Droid Incredible, and so does DH (he also has a blackberry for work). We love our Droids...but we don't love the battery life on it. Because it runs multiple apps at a time, it can really drain the battery quickly...for this, we've gotten an app that kills any apps you don't want running at the time, really easy to implement and although it is another step, it's almost second nature at this point.

The camera on this phone is really good and the megapixels are actually better than my tiny point & shoot. My friend's iPhones can't compete.

If you still love the iPhone though, don't fret....Verizon is getting it this year...although it is slated for June, it will probably be later.

luvdisney00
05-20-2010, 05:51 AM
I am reading this thread with much interest as this is my dilemma exactly. I have an ipod touch and am dying to get an iphone, but we have been verizon customers since day 1 of having cell phones and don't want to switch. Actually DH won't switch, so I's have to get an iphone w/ my own contract and it'll be way more expensive PLUS everyone I talk to is on verizon and therefore free to call. Now I'm thinking the dilema is whether to get the droid when my contract is up in June or to wait and see what the verizon iphone is like. I've heard there are problems with the network and the first release won't be as good as the ATT iphone. I've also read that the screen will be smaller which I won't like at all. The touch is just about perfect, I LOVE it and wish it was my phone.

My daughter has an older droid which she likes a lot, but it does dial people in her bag all of the time. I guess i may go check out some of the new ones, I have till June anyway to look and research.

TONNIE
05-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I have verizon and my friend had the droid at work and I thought it was so cool I ordered the incredible which is on backorder for two weeks. :scared1:

I didnt want to wait that long but dh swears by it says the apps and the internet are super fast. I had some doubts because of the wait and the touch keyboard, but dh says it has voice texting . OMG it will be time for a new phone before I learn how to use this..:rotfl2:

bokolo
05-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Another Droid owner here. I've had mine about 2 months and haven't had any problems. I wanted an Ipone too, but we didn't want to switch over, so we stuck with Verizon. It is a great phone to have. Everyday I discover something else it can do!

LisaInNc
05-20-2010, 07:06 AM
I have a driod....I LOVE it.

2 friends of mine that had iphones changed to droids.

Lisa

RachaelA
05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
I am reading this thread with much interest as this is my dilemma exactly. I have an ipod touch and am dying to get an iphone, but we have been verizon customers since day 1 of having cell phones and don't want to switch. Actually DH won't switch, so I's have to get an iphone w/ my own contract and it'll be way more expensive PLUS everyone I talk to is on verizon and therefore free to call. Now I'm thinking the dilema is whether to get the droid when my contract is up in June or to wait and see what the verizon iphone is like. I've heard there are problems with the network and the first release won't be as good as the ATT iphone. I've also read that the screen will be smaller which I won't like at all. The touch is just about perfect, I LOVE it and wish it was my phone.

My daughter has an older droid which she likes a lot, but it does dial people in her bag all of the time. I guess i may go check out some of the new ones, I have till June anyway to look and research.

there is no concrete information that verizon is going to get the iphone. i wouldn't hold out for it.

Mrs. Bradbury
05-20-2010, 08:46 AM
I got a Droid last Friday and I am in loooooove. :lovestruc My daughter got one the day they came out last fall and tells me all the time she's so glad she waited and got the Droid (she was ready for an upgrade and I begged her to wait because I read awesome things about the Droid). In talking to one of the IT people in my department when I came in on Monday, I was rattling off the cool apps and features and she kept replying, "My iPhone won't do that . . ." :rotfl:

All that said, there is a big learning curve. The hardest thing I am having to do is train myself not to curl my fingers over the phone if it's not locked and touch the screen. Makes things happen I didn't mean to.

With some birthday money I also got a package deal on the car & home dock as well as the car charger. The home dock dimmed is still very bright at night, almost like a nightlight, and my decidedly low-tech solution is to put a navy bandana over it. ;) The car dock - meh. It will be very handy when using the navigator but otherwise there are some major holes, such as it doesn't automatically switch to speakerphone when you click it into the dock. That seems like a no brainer. :confused3 However, I'm sure there will be an app for that at some point.

I am very, very pleased so far.

Huff
05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
I have a Palm Pre and love it. WebOS which it runs is the only true multi-tasking OS on a phone as far as I know.

Along with plenty of Apps from the App store it is incredibily easy to download and run all the homebrew apps. IPhones you must jailbreak which isn't easy for the typical user.

casjen
05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I will go look at the Droid again. I would get the incredible I think. I need August to get here so I can upgrade. My Palm is on it's last battery legs.

Minniemouse07
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I will go look at the Droid again. I would get the incredible I think. I need August to get here so I can upgrade. My Palm is on it's last battery legs.

I know on the phone board I was stalking before the Droid release there were a lot of people that had upgrades 2+ months out from the release date and they were able to get Verizon to move their "NE2" date up so they could take advantage of it.

Can't hurt to try and call Verizon to see if they would do so for you!

AlexTina
05-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I have the droid incredible, in fact I am on it right now while waiting for the kids to get done at the dentist. I love, love, love it. Verizon coverage around here is far better than ATT so for me it was a no brainer. My aunt has an iPhone and side by side the droid wins.

LadySiren
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a Motorola Droid and DH has the Droid Eris. We both love our phones! My Droid does almost everything my laptop does and is fairly fast. We do get dropped calls but that has to do with the crappy VZ coverage in my area, bleh.

*Seanaci*
05-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Go with the Droid. When you really do the research, ihones aren't all that great. Plus, most droid phones coming out now can do most of the same things as the iPhone.

Also, I'd stick with the same company as DH so you don't have to pay extra to call/talk to each other.

DisneyCaliCouple
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Plus, on the Droid you can have multiple apps running, where as with the iPhone you can't.
As a previous person stated, the battery can run down quickly if you do not close the apps. Verizon has a free app called a Task Killer, which closes every app open for you with one click. The person at Verizon told me about this herself and put it on my phone before I left. Now it's second nature to do and my battery has never become close to dying on me.

LISMYLIFE
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I can highly recommend the Droid as well. I upgraded my Blackberry for it, and upgraded both kids to it (one 3 months early, and one 8 months early). They may have let us do it early as I was adding two data plans. We are now all on the same contract date!

The other big advantage for us was the availabilty of insurance. If you lose or break your I-phone, it is about $400 to replace (no initial discount). The Droid has insurance for about $6 a month with a $75 deductible. Great for high school students!

chyam
05-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Which Palm do you have? Have you checked out the Palm Pre? I have that phone with Verizon, DH has the Droid. We both like (and don't like) features on each others phone. With the Pre I have email, internet, 3G, wifi hot spot (in case service is unavailable) and an awesome calender.
Which Palm do you have?

I have the Palm Pre and CANNOT wait to dump this phone in June! I hate the fact that it doesn't have voice activated calling and the key board is so small I will be going with the HTC EVO 4g in June.
I loved how the Palm Pre looked and the whole feel of it but honestly it just doesn't seem all that user friendly but then that maybe just me, I had the Instinct before that I did like just did not love, so went with the Palm Pre and I really don't like much else about it.

TONNIE
05-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I just got a email from dell and they have the droid for free for new verizon wireless csts and 19.99 for upgrades with two year plan

here is the link

http://mobility.dell.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=35693_cc11493a5cd04c64b2ae99 c7ca4af004

tiggerplus5
05-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I didnt want to wait that long but dh swears by it says the apps and the internet are super fast. I had some doubts because of the wait and the touch keyboard, but dh says it has voice texting . OMG it will be time for a new phone before I learn how to use this..:rotfl2:

The voice texting is soooooooo cool. I am still on a learning curve with the screen querty keyboard so this makes it much easier. It also has the auto text feature. It tries to figure out what you are typing so you don't have to text the whole thing. I love my droid.

It's fast! Definitely download a task killer. It does run more than one app. The battery life is poor. I purchased a car charger because I need to charge it twice a day on average. I have been using it a lot though :thumbsup2 I tried Google maps and navigation for the first time yesterday. Awesome!

I've had no problems with the hardware. I have to learn not to touch the screen so much. I've called several friends by accident. Ooops! There are a couple apps that stop working-"force close" comes up. I think that's a programming issue with the app.

I can't compare it to the iphone but it really is a portable computer on your phone. email syncs-facebook, twitter, etc automatically updates. I luv it!

casjen
05-21-2010, 04:47 PM
upgrade. I called. I am eligible in August. I was so excited thinking I could upgrade right now.

vettechick99
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Get the Droid! DH has it and I love it. I have a BB Curve and like it, but it's not near as awesome as the Droid.

Jana49
05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Another happy Droid owner here. If you don't want it to make random calls, double click on the power button, and it will sleep. Not power down, only sleep.

mickeysmate65
05-22-2010, 03:05 PM
We are looking at phones now as well. Will end up being a Droid family by close of business tomorrow! Glad to hear all the good reviews and advice.