PDA

View Full Version : Favorite restaurant or bar that is gone.

FunkyLamb
08-12-2002, 01:54 AM
I was just reminded of a couple of favorite places that we used to like. Even a drink which I can't find anymore. I just wanted to hear if anyone else had some places that either closed or changed names or concepts.

I used to love hitting the Catwalk Bar in the middle of the afternoon for a nice cocktail. I've heard from several people it is no more.

Another thing I looked forward to every trip was Italian Toast at Tony's Town Square for breakfast. Gone.

Pleasure Island Iced Tea. Gone.

Anybody else got some old faves?

Uncleromulus
08-12-2002, 05:11 AM
Lots of restaurants that would make my list--but Tony's for breakfast is as good as any. Used to go there each visit to the MK.
And the Catwalk is missed too--just when they could really use a bar area at the Brown Derby, they go ahead and close it....

cinmell
08-12-2002, 06:20 AM
We were just talking about this last night. Like you, we miss the Catwalk Bar and Tony's breakfast. The Catwalk Bar was a great place to cool down and have a drink.

Kim&Chris
08-12-2002, 08:12 AM
This might not qualify, but I really loved when Chef Mickey's was located in Downtown Disney. It was such a pretty restaurant with a great location. Even though they just 'transplanted' it, it's not the same!

I also miss Tony's for breakfast!

f-LORI-da
08-12-2002, 08:21 AM
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I liked Le Cellier when it was cafeteria style.

I've dined there since the change, and enjoyed it as well as any of the many other places I can get a good steak at WDW. What I miss is the quiet and tastefully decorated spot to get my cheese soup or some really good mac & cheese and very tasty, crusty rolls without a PS:rolleyes: What a find it was!:rolleyes:

Disneylvr
08-12-2002, 10:45 AM
I am another fan of Chef Mickey's when it was in Downtown Disney. It was our first meal on our honeymoon in 1994 and we loved it! I also miss Minnie Mia's, Donald's Dairy Dip and Goofy's Grill at Downtown Disney. Not because they served great food, I just loved the names!

TiggerFanNTX
08-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Probably going to date myself a bit here but am curious to see if anyone else remembers or misses the Melvin the Moose character Breakfast that was held at pioneer hall in Ft Wilderness in the late 80's, early 90's.

This was reminiscent of Hoop Dee Doo only the star was Melvin the Moose (Country Bear Jamboree) and also stared Chip -N- Dale.

Kinda wish it was still around to take my DD's to as I have fond memories. Oh well. I can still take em to Hoop Dee Doo

Bev J
08-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Oh for a fritta at Tony's for breakfast and great coffee to boot. Cant to the buffet or character stuff for breakfast, where else could you get a great breakfast at the MK!

FunkyLamb
08-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey did anyone ever eat at the Fireworks Factory at PI? I used to like that place?:p

Kim&Chris
08-12-2002, 02:10 PM
How about Minnie's Menehune Breakfast?? Remember that one? I LOVED that breakfast! The characters were so much fun, and the restaurant was soooo roomy and comfortable. Also, they used to give people the cutest little buttons to wear throughout the day....I still have a few of them. The buffet was awesome, and I remember that the food was always hot and yummy!

I'm not saying that O'hana's isn't fun, I'm just saying that Minnie's breakfast used to be my most favorite meal at WDW!

Disneylvr
08-12-2002, 02:24 PM
YES!!! I remember the Fireworks Factory at PI. I remember they had the BEST baked potatoes. I think I ate there in 1990. And I also loved Minnie Menehune's Character Breakfast too. We ate there on my 30th birthday and everyone made me feel so special. Gosh, this thread is making me sad. :(

RussH
08-12-2002, 05:32 PM
The Catwalk bar is not dead just open at really bad times. Just this past Xmas/NYE week it was open every night.
Policy that I heard is when the shows are on downstairs Catwalk is closed. So only after the last show is over and cleaned up Catwalk will open if park close is 3+ hours later. The only thing missing was the Wine-O-matic. Even the TV worked.
If you are going at a really heavy time with late hours make sure to ask at Tune-In or the Brown Derby because Catwalk might just be opening that night.
RussH

GeorgeG
08-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Where to start...

I'll go along with the Melvin the Moose breakfast at Pioneer Hall. That was a lot of fun.

The Empress Room aboard the Empress Lily was probably the best ever for that special occasion. On more than one visit, our server was Edward, and he made us feel special. We tried Fulton's once and were somewhat disappointed.

We only dined at Ariel's in the Beach Club once, but it was probably the most memorable. The server was Timothy and he was truly amazed.

The Top of the World had a great dinner show, breakfast, Sunday brunch and a good lounge. Sorry, California Grill fans, I just can't warm up to the way it is now.

Others from the Contemporary we miss are the Pueblo Room and the Gulf Coast Room (guess I'm really dating myself now). The Outer Rim used to be nicer back about 10-15 years ago, too.

I liked when the Beirgarten had menu service, but I've come to enjoy the buffet.

Last, but not least, I remember when the World Showcase hot dog wagon was back by the American Adventure and the hot dogs were great. They just don't seem quite the same at the new location, which I kinda chalk up to early "cutbacks."

Captain Crook
08-12-2002, 07:11 PM
I really miss Robert's Grill at DD. The steaks were better than Shula's and the Seafood better than Flying Fish. If the chef could have just walked the straight & narrow (tsk, tsk, tsk)...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

blanche
08-12-2002, 10:39 PM
exactly where is the catwalk bar in mgm? thanks

FunkyLamb
08-12-2002, 10:48 PM
When you go back by the bathrooms at The Brown Derby, there is a staircase on the left side. That leads to the Catwalk Bar. To me that was one of the cool things about it. Not too many people knew it was there. We actually stumbled upon it one day and it became our favorite watering hole.

Uncleromulus
08-13-2002, 05:22 AM
RussH:
I guess tht's better than nothing--but not by much. Everytime we're likely to want to go there, it's almost certain to be closed. But just MAYBE they'll open it full time again--. Hah!! Dream on, Uncleromulus!!

Funkylamb:
Did use to like Fireworks factory--especially remember their black and yellow checkerboard vinyl tablecloths!!

montessori
08-13-2002, 05:50 AM
Remember the men's room at the Firework's Factory? I remember hearing about it.
There were big one way mirrors right there where a man stood to use the facilities. So he could see the people sitting at the bar on the other side of the wall! What a hoot! http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/lol.gif
We loved the Catwalk too. I used to smoke back then, and it was one of the last places to allow smoking. It was cool and dark and quiet...and smoky? http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/95.gif
We also had such fun character breakfasts at the Poly and on The Empress Lily.

Shannon D
08-13-2002, 07:25 AM
We miss Bonfamilles at Port Orleans.

Great breakfasts (heard dinner was good too, but now I'll never know!) wonderful atmosphere, terrific CM's.

Gagebre
08-13-2002, 09:25 AM
There was a counter service restaurant near Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse in MK that had the best Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich. I would look forward to that each trip.

Regina
08-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Aw, the Empress Lily Character breakfast.:( It was so pretty on the boat, and they'd give the kids either a certificate or a felt pennant to remember it by.

Bonfamilies had the best salad dressing. I have the recipe somewhere. I never made it because it makes about 10,000 gallons.;)

And Minnie Menehune :( :( :( . We just were looking at some pictures from there.

Does anyone remember the salmon dish from when Chef Mickey's was Downtown? It was outstanding.

cinmell
08-13-2002, 11:57 AM
How long ago was Chef Mickey's in Downtown?

Kim&Chris
08-13-2002, 12:06 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Chef Mickey's was in Downtown Disney until around the early 90's.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.....

FunkyLamb
08-13-2002, 12:40 PM
The did a major renovation of the Marketplace around '93 or '94 and that is when it was taken out. At least that's what I remember.

Hey did any of you ever have one of those Pleasure Island Iced Teas. Those things were great. I tried several times to replicate it at home, but with no success. When I went back one year, no one knew what I was talking about. Like it never existed. I finally talked to a bartender who had been there awhile and he said that they just got rid of it.:(

chazorme
08-13-2002, 02:08 PM
I realize that change is good...healthy and progressive.However, I must admit that by nature we, DH, DD, and I, are creatures of habit. We greatly miss the marvel of Tony's sit-down, quiet breakfast of fabulous foods. The loss of Chef Jason, at CSR's Maya Grill, has caused us frowns in the food-planning stage of our upcoming trip. There is something to be said for traditions!

FunkyLamb
08-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Man there was nothing nicer than nursing a hangover from Pleasure Island on the patio of Tony's Town Square. Some OJ, a cup of coffee and Italian Toast.

Now I can go hit Space Mountain!

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Angel25Fan
08-13-2002, 02:39 PM
I loved the Fireworks Factory! They had "the best damn meatloaf" I have ever had!

When at a convention in '92 we took friends of ours there. I had been bragging about the meatloaf and it got dubbed "the best damn meatloaf."

They even called over the manager to tell him of my love for the dish.

The following year, in '93 we were back for another meeting and of course had to get the meatloaf again... and what would you know... the manager remember us! When we called him over to our table he couldn't believe that "the best damn meatloaf" guy was back!

LuvTigger
08-13-2002, 10:00 PM
I only had dinner at Ariel's once too, but I REALLY enjoyed it and was so disappointed when it closed. It was a very memorable meal for me too!

MicGoof
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
I miss the Fireworks Factory at P.I.!!! It had the best food, best drinks, best atmosphere...... :(

TiggerFanNTX
08-14-2002, 12:12 AM
I remember a place in the magic kingdom eating as a kid, cannot recall for sure the name, it was sponsored by Oscar Meyer and had Chef Oscar.
Anyone remember this? it was one of my dad's favorite places to eat.

madcoco
08-14-2002, 01:30 AM
Seasons at DI.Some of Disney's better Chefs tested their recipes there on occasion.
Hope they keep Reflections and The Gathering Place open at DI when the DVC opens.

Bonfamilles. We could always get a blackened steak done perfect there even when not on the menu. Someone else already mentioned the salad dressing.

Uncleromulus
08-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Reflections and the gathering Place--haven't heard anything about either. Are they lounge-type spots at DI? And do I miss Seasons!! Remember when they first opened , when they had various "nights"--Northwest Nite, New Orleans nite,, etc. Food served "Family Style", but on lazy susans at the table. Whirl that around and sample everything!!

Disneylvr
08-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by cinmell
How long ago was Chef Mickey's in Downtown?

I know it was there until at least the end of April 1994. DH and I were on our honeymoon then and that is where we had our first dinner at WDW. That would of been April 25, 1994 to be exact.

swankybeth
08-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Not a restaurant, but I miss the chicken satay that they used to serve at Chakranadi Chicken Shop at Animal Kingdom. That stuff was soooo good. My boyfriend and I would lick the sauce off the wrappers! :rolleyes: Now they serve plain chicken, yuck. :(

Simba's Mom
08-14-2002, 12:37 PM
"Wake up moose!" I loved that character breakfast, with all the kazoos. We went twice-1987, 1992. Yes, I feel old! Last night we were talking about our upcoming trip that we're taking to celebrate DS's graduating from college. He wanted to know if we were going to that one! I also miss the buffet brunch at the Contemporary top floor. And I liked Crystal Palace when it was cafeteria style, but without characters.

madcoco
08-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Reflections and the gathering Place--haven't heard anything about either. Are they lounge-type spots at DI?
Uncleromulus The Gathering Place is the lounge outside Seasons which they renamed and renovated when Seasons shut down.They also had some of the best burgers around property and was great for R and R.

Reflections was just the coffee house(located in the bungalow area) which also served some mean $5.00 milkshakes and snacks. LOL
It was also the 1st time we were introduced to the "Depthcharge"
(strong coffee with a shot of espresso thrown in)

gibbys1
08-14-2002, 01:18 PM
I forgot all about the Fireworks Factory until you mentioned it! We ate there a few times and we liked it.

montessori
08-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Yes, I really wish they hadn't done away with The Fireworks Factory.
And, how about the men's bathroom? http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/lilly/laugh1blue.gif

Sister Scoop Disney
08-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Chazamore, I'm from Pa also. We'll be in wdw the same time you are!! 8-24 for us! can't wait. I also miss the Pueblo room and the Gulf coast room in the Contemporary and the Empress Lily in DD. Old FW was awesome! Also miss 20,000 leagues under the sea (sorry i know it's an attraction)
Bye

anut4disney
08-14-2002, 02:39 PM
I am still upset about Tony's not serving breakfast. It has been a tradition for us to go there every day that we go to the MK. :(

I too enjoyed Melvin the Moose breakfast at Fort Wilderness. That was the last thing that we did before we left. Everything packed and checked out, go to breakfast and leave after meal. The kids loved it and it was something special for the kids to remember.

Disneylvr
08-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by swankybeth
Not a restaurant, but I miss the chicken satay that they used to serve at Chakranadi Chicken Shop at Animal Kingdom. That stuff was soooo good. My boyfriend and I would lick the sauce off the wrappers! :rolleyes: Now they serve plain chicken, yuck. :(

No more chicken satay!!!??? I am heartbroken. :(

FunkyLamb
08-24-2002, 12:09 PM
I think Tony's not serving breakfast is still the worst for me too.

That Italian toast and an OJ were a great start to the day.

eeyore0062
08-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Definitely the Catwalk Bar! I can't believe they let Playhouse Disney take over our favorite hideaway! I think they should have put Playhouse Disney over where they put the ABC advertisement, and left well enough alone with the Catwalk Bar, and the restaurant that used to be below!!!

Brier Rose
08-24-2002, 04:31 PM
I miss the Character Breakfast at the Garden Grille in Epcot and the Jolly Holidays Dinner Show:(

DisMNagain
08-25-2002, 12:23 AM
Yep, another vote for missing the Fireworks Factory.

Mmmmmmmmm the smoked shrimp......

mmmmmmmmmmmmm the onion rings.......

MMMMMMM!!! cornbread........

Loved the atmosphere there too!

kdibattista
08-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Our all time favorite breakfast is the Crystal Palace and we are so disappointed that it is being refurbished during our stay. :( :( :( :( But that just means that we have to go next year to eat :D :D :D

FunkyLamb
08-26-2002, 11:39 AM
I wonder if they'll pick up some of the dishes from the old breakfast at Tony's.

Grumpy92
08-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Rosie's Red Hots (The BEST Hot Dogs), Sunday Brunch at the Top of World, Glad to hear about the Catwalk will check that out.

The Catwalk is located above the Disney Playhouse area. You can access it through the Brown Derby area, staircase & elevator.

DeborahB
08-26-2002, 04:50 PM
I miss Tangaroa Terrace at the Poly! We ate breakfast there many times and it was great........a big buffet or off the menu.....you could also order the famous Tonga Toast....and my personal favorite, the waffle station staffed by a chef making hot, fresh Mickey waffles with different toppings.
I think this restaurant is only open for special functions now.

Debbie

A1A1
08-26-2002, 06:13 PM
Empress Lily Riverboat!

Why would they get rid of that?

It was great! I have such fond memories of the ole Empress. I have never stepped foot into whatever it is now. Took a look at the menu, and decided nothing could compare to the Empress Lily.

:( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :confused:

Nightbird
08-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi Guys:

Wow, the Gulf Coast Room!! Does anyone remember how they used to have a book of matches with your name engraved in the cover when you arrived at the restaurant? There was also a violinist that roved around the dining room and played the Disney Classic tunes. This was circa 1979 - 1981 as I recall.

The Empress Room at the Empress Lilly had the best Lobster Thermadore I have ever had. There was a beautiful chandelier and a vaulted ceiling with gold leaf covering in the center of the dining room. Lots of tableside service also, I recall cherries jubilee to be exact. I was only 20-22 years old when we ate there but both of these dining venues were heads above anything at WDW now. V & A's comes the closest but formal dining has sort of gone by the wayside.

Thanks for the memories!
Later, Sherree

aalan
08-26-2002, 11:37 PM
my wife and i had a great meal at ariel's, one of the best tuna steaks i ever had. a nice smallish sit down restaurant, with a really nice aquarium.

FunkyLamb
08-27-2002, 12:52 PM
I went to Fulton's after they changed it and it just was not the same. I think there is (or was) an independent restaurant group that operates Fulton's and a couple of other Downtown Disney restaurants.

madcoco
08-27-2002, 03:11 PM
It still is owned by Levy Bros.Restaurant Group which also operates PYC next door.They do quite a bit of food service at Race Tracks and Ballparks across the country.

FunkyLamb
08-27-2002, 09:51 PM
That's what I thought, I just couldn't remember the name. They used to operate The Fireworks Factory also.

It's been a few years since I have been to the property. Does anyone know what has happened to the Fireworks Factory/Wildhorse Saloon area?

FunkyLamb
08-31-2002, 02:26 PM
bump

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

msmouse
09-01-2002, 11:34 AM
We loved the fireworks factory. My dad would get the biggest kick out of the men's room. The bar has a one way mirror. When you go into the men's room, it appears as tho everyone at the bar is watching you. One of my favorites is the grilled veg. sandwich in the village at the seafood place on the lake. Can't remember the name for the life of me, but that sandwich is to die for.

A kid at heart
09-01-2002, 11:58 AM
Breakfast Calzone at Tony's!

Wilma Flintstone
09-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Thanks for Catwalk Bar info. I posted a new thread on this board and said I was surprised it was totally closed.
Ariel's was a fantastic restaurant--truly a special experience. White-glove service combined with innovative cuisine (don't even ASK about the desserts) made for one happy diner! Can't they bring it back?? Oh pleeeeaaassseee??
--Wilma :( the unhappy dreamer

Wilma Flintstone
09-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Forgot to add Bonfamilias. The Oysters appetizer on a bed of dry ice (has anyone had that there?) was fantastic. We went back twice--and we were staying at Disney's Vacation Club at the time (now OKW). Add a bottle or two of Blackened Dixie Voodoo Lager (is that what it's called??) and you've got it made. Oh the memories are killing me...:p :p
--Wilma (are you listening Disney?):confused:

FunkyLamb
09-03-2002, 01:27 AM
The lady and I went to Bonfamilles one time a few years ago and being from New Orleans were very impressed with the food for breakfast.

It was funny how the CMs all got excited when they found out where we were from, but they were even happier when we told them how much we enjoyed the food and the service.

Wilma...That beer is called Blackened Voodoo and it is made by Dixie Brewery on Tulane Avenue right here in New Orleans. It's actually the best beer they put out there.

:cool: