PDA

View Full Version : Tired of rusty spots on kitchen knives!

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Anyone know of nice kitchen knives that will put up with dishwasher use over and over and LAST? I seem to be buying knives every coupld of years and I am getting tired of it.

Straitlover
05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, the dishwasher's your main problem. Good knives are carbon steel, not stainless steel. Carbon steel knives don't belong in the dishwasher but should be handwashed. If you wnat to continue to use the dishwasher for knives, you need to buy stainless steel knives, and make sure they are as far away form the detergent dispenser as possible.

kid-at-heart
05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Washing knives in the dishwasher dulls their sharp edges. Knives should be hand-washed, however, if you prefer not to hand-wash perhaps you could just buy cheap ones that you do not mind replacing as they become dull/rusted. :goodvibes

3boymthr
05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I had this problem with my knives and I found that storing them in a wooden knife block really helps. Other than that I'd suggest as PP do and try handwashing them.

abolanwoski
05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I've had cutco knives since 1987 and love them. There are a couple little spots on some, but I confess - I use the dishwasher despite the directions saying not to! In addition, they have a life-time guarantee and last year, I sent them back for sharpening. They do it for free and actually replaced a couple that they thought needed replacing rather than sharpening. They are pricy, but I haven't paid for a knife for 23 years, so I think I made out ok in the long run!

amez
05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I love my Rada knives-we also bought their sharpener too. I put mine in the dishwasher and haven't had problems with rust. I have also got wolf gang puck knives (think I wrote that right) and they will get rust spots quicky if they aren't dried immediately.