PDA

View Full Version : Nothings FREE with free dining???

ColdNorway
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I´kinda confused about the free dining.
We are gonna stay at wdw in the beginning of September.
2 adults.

I see that Animal Kingdom Lounge has this great rate @ 150$ night:thumbsup2,with pool view.
(http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll/qscr=dspv/from=f/shtl=1/fgds=0/favl=0/htsd=0/flag=1/fsam=1/htid=602436/ihtl=4/smgt=3/crti=3/rfrr=-5517/itdx=/itid=/itty=/hwrq=EX01773180B2JGDC$B0$ED$D6!2$B2$ED$D6$B21!70$C 8$12$5C!H0$0A!801000.$BF$D7$0C!2$E0$D7$0C!A0$190Zm ny.Ujfopa.Zgsnu$AE.Spfgsy!A0!6$FF!R010003!90100020 001011!A0!4$FF)So when i book 6 night,the total cost are about 1021$ Inc,all taxes.
If i book this with 7 day magic your way tickets,the add for two persons will be little over 500,inc tax. for the tickets.

So,Question: Now my total cost are 1530$. This include :
6 nights. AKL,pool view and 7 day MYW tickets.
--------
If i book this with FREE dining, the cost will be 2190$.
(i do see that Disney change the nightly cost from 150 a night,to, 250 a night,when you book without this free dining package,but,,,,you can book the 150 a night price an any hotel web cite,for hotel only (http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll/qscr=dspv/from=f/shtl=1/fgds=0/favl=0/htsd=0/flag=1/fsam=1/htid=602436/ihtl=4/smgt=3/crti=3/rfrr=-5517/itdx=/itid=/itty=/hwrq=EX01773180B2JGDC$B0$ED$D6!2$B2$ED$D6$B21!70$C 8$12$5C!H0$0A!801000.$BF$D7$0C!2$E0$D7$0C!A0$190Zm ny.Ujfopa.Zgsnu$AE.Spfgsy!A0!6$FF!R010003!90100020 001011!A0!4$FF))

So,again, can someone please let me know whats so great with this free-dining,that everyones talking about.
I can´t find anything free in this, just an 700$ add,for 6 days of dining for two people.

PixieDustandEeyore
05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
well the big difference is price is due to dining. If you eat at , at least 1 table service a day its worth it. Buffets are usually over 25 bucks per adult. The average table service meal can be over 30 a person (it depends what you order, if you split etc) Its hard to get away with quick service meals for 2 under 25 bucks at some places. So if you plan on two disney meals a day its quite good.

But if you plan to bring your own food etc do the room rate that is cheaper, but if you are reliant on Disney for all your meals then I'd recommend the dining.

I love free dining but we stay at the values and eat all our meals at disney so we save alot of money.

I find the best deal right now is the moderates with Free Dining, I find deluxes the 40% off codes can be more advantageous depending on circumstances. Its all about your family.
So do you eat your meals at disney or do you bring your own food?

StitchandPooh'sMom
05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
You have to choose your discount at Disney - you can't have both. You can either get a discount on the room rate, or you can book free dining (if it is being offered for your time frame). You need to run the numbers to see which makes more sense for your family. If you have four adults (age 10+) in a moderate room, the free dining is a much better deal since the DDP is about $42 per day per adult - you save $170 per day for food costs by paying rack rate for a room that doesn't even cost $170 in value season. If you have two adults staying at the Grand Floridian, 40% off is a better deal since free dining would only save you $84 per day, while 40% off in value season saves you at least twice that much per night.

Edited to add:

I re-read your post and see that you are a group of two adults. The savings per day for you would be $84 (about - I can't remember the exact price of the DDP) if you opt for free dining in a moderate or deluxe, but you have to pay rack rate. If you book AKL at 40% off, your discount is $100 per day. You can most likely still add the dining plan (paying $84 per day) - you just can't get it free with a discounted room.

Depending where you want to eat, the DDP may or may not be a good deal for you.

kaytieeldr
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
So,again, can someone please let me know whats so great with this free-dining,that everyones talking about.
I can´t find anything free in this, just an 700$ add,for 6 days of dining for two people. You're doing the math wrong.
The rack rate - the standard, undiscounted cost per room per night - at Animal Kingdom Lodge is, apparently, $250.
As the above poster points out, the Guest gets to choose the discount from between/among what's offered.
You choose an offer where the room rate is discounted 40%. You then pay $508.50 for park passes and an unknown amount for food. Total $1530.
Since you refer to 'this' [same] package with the free dining, that can only mean the same $508.50 for tickets. You would then be paying $1702.50 for the room and $508.50 for the tickets. Total $2211 (maybe the tickets are a little cheaper with the package somehow?). But wait - that's room and tickets AND food - for two people. This time, you know how much your food will cost. Do you think the two of you will eat more than $340 worth of food each over six nights, divided among six snacks, six counter service meals, and six table service meals? I do ;)

eta: sorry, I had to go out. The reason I say your math is wrong is that Disney isn't adding anything to anything - much less $700. They're subtracting 40% from the rack rate to give you the $150 per night room rate you encountered.

ColdNorway
05-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Ok. Thanks.
There are NO sutch thing as FREE dining then.it:thumbsup2
That was the only thing i was wondering about.
I thought FREE meant ZERO xtra cost.
Im from Norway, sorry, here Free means free. = Zero.
And the rack rate in sept are 144$ & 150 at AKL with the bad view rooms. Click on the expedia link above. There you find the 144 & 150 rate.
And there are NO web site that can sell discounted Disney Hotels, so that means that it´s 144 & 150$ rack rate.
Disney´s web site add 100 pr night,if you book with "free" dining. WOW. Nice move.

Thanks.

clanmcculloch
05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Ok. Thanks.
And the rack rate in sept are 144$ & 150 at AKL with the bad view rooms. Click on the expedia link above. There you find the 144 & 150 rate.
And there are NO web site that can sell discounted Disney Hotels, so that means that it´s 144 & 150$ rack rate.
Disney´s web site add 100 pr night,if you book with "free" dining. WOW. Nice move.

Thanks.

Free does mean free. The price you pay with free dining is the full price for your room plus tickets and the dining plan is added for no extra cost (hence the word free). Just because they give you something for free doesn't mean it's the best deal. That's what's confusing you. In order to collect this free benefit you have to pass on any other possible discounts. In your case, you can save more money by saying no to the free offer and taking advantage of a room discount.

For my family, free dining saves $168/night because my kids are both 10+ and therefore are Disney adults. My room isn't even costing me $149/night which means that Disney would have to not only give me my room for free but actually pay me to stay in order to get as good of a discount with a room discount. Everybody has to do the math to figure out which deal is best for them. It really is as simple as that. There's nothing misleading or underhanded about calling the deal free dining since they are giving the dining plan for free.

It always comes down to the math.

Rack rate at AKL standard view is $240/night for value season. The price you're getting is a DISCOUNTED rate, not rack rate. $144 is the 40% discount off rack rate. That's a $96/night savings. Expedia is quoting you the 40% discount that you can get directly through Disney. It is NOT a good idea to book this way. Please book directly through Disney if you hope to get any customer service if anything comes up before your trip. Expedia will own your reservation, not you.

Mary•Poppins
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Last year, a DIS podcast talked about "Free Dining" and said that the only time it beat the 40% room discount was when it was the Regular Dining plan and you stayed at a value resort. We did this last year when we were offered a PIN for and stayed at the AllStar Music in December (not the Quick Service Plan).

I can't find the podcast ... perhaps someone else can find it ...

Planogirl
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
It depends on the size of your group and how much you eat. There's only two of us and we eat few full serve meals so free dining is quite expensive for us.

clanmcculloch
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
It all depends on the time of year (therefore the rack rate; fall free dining is value season) and the people in your room and the available room discounts. It really is important to always do the math to figure out which is the best deal for your group. It's never as obvious as it might seem.

mistysue
It's not that $150 is the rack rate, $150 is the rate after the 40% room discount that site is adding for you. If you go to disney's site, search for specials and look at "room only" you will get the same rate.

In your case free dining is a bad deal. For me, staying at POP- the dining we get free is worth $70 in an $82 room. A room discount would mean we pay $65/night, but get no food... so free dining costs us $17/night for two meals/snacks per person per night.
If you were 4 adults even and liked eating on property- the dining would be a better deal for you than the lower room rate.

brymolmom
Ok. Thanks.

Thanks.

I beg to differ - there is definitely IS such a thing as FREE DINING and it is THE BEST DEAL my family has ever gotten. However, it is not the deal that is best for each family - there is the point. I have paid $90 per night for a value room (best discount I could have gotten on that room at the time is $15 per night) - and gotten the dining for FREE saving my family of 2 adults and 2 children almost $100 per night! WOO-HOO!

Now I agree that the smaller the number of people in the room, ESPECIALLY if you want to stay in a deluxe it is usually NOT A GOOD DEAL for your family - however, it IS still free. It's just that another discount is likely going to save you more.

And you're already saving $100 per night on that room with that rate - Disney can't give everyone that AND free dining...well, I guess they could but likely not the best business decision.

deerhart
05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/animal-kingdom-lodge/rates-rooms/

link to AKL room rates. What should first show up is value season and it clearly shows the rack rate is $250 a night for standard pool view ($240 for standard view)

3boymthr
05-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Ok. Thanks.

Thanks.

I just checked Expedia. If you read carefully, it states that the rate you are being quoted is an "Expedia Special Rate", which means it is not a rack rate. When it is a rack rate Expedia will state that.

Another thing with Expedia to be wary of special rates are charged up front so you will have to pay the full amount NOW as opposed to 45 days before for a package or when you check in for room only.

kaytieeldr
05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Disney´s web site add 100 pr night,if you book with "free" dining. WOW. Nice move.Disney's website adds ZERO per night. Period. Disney's website provides the rack rate.

And the rack rate in sept are 144$ & 150 at AKL with the bad view rooms. Click on the expedia link above. There you find the 144 & 150 rate.Wrong. Disney's own website provides the rack rate. Various Travel Agencies will negotiate with various end providers for blocks of rooms at discounted (from the rack rate) prices. Part of this contract - because that's what it is - limits the time span in which the Agency must sell these rooms at these rates or they must return the unsold rooms to the control of the end provider (WDW, in this case).

Your confusion over the difference between rack rate and discounted rate doesn't mean free dining isn't free.

Planogirl
05-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I get the OP's point. It doesn't seem free if it ends up costing you more. How many hotels normally charge rack rate after all?

Tiger926
05-19-2010, 05:47 AM
I get the OP's point. It doesn't seem free if it ends up costing you more. How many hotels normally charge rack rate after all?

As others have already explained, it is FREE, as there is no charge for it in that package.

It's irrelevant what other hotels charge - Disney always has multiple discounts/promos going on at one time, so you need to do the math to see which promo fits your needs.

Free dining is FREE - it might not be the best deal for you, but it's still FREE as the food component is added at no charge = FREE!

Tiger :)

brymolmom
05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure if I just miss out on really great deals or what - I can't imagine getting $100 off PLUS free dining. It just doesn't make sense. When I buy a sweater at JC Penny's - it is USUALLY on sale - 10% off, 15% off...but if I wait for the 'best deal for me' - it is Buy one get one for 1 penney....OF COURSE that's off the FULL PRICE of the sweater. They never offer that deal on the sweaters that are already 15% off.

So I guess that just makes sense to me since every business I know always charges their discounts off of 'full price' - especially for their best deals.

I LOVE free dining and OP - price it out at a value room and you will see the true discount and how large it is. Since 'other' discounts on value rooms are so small....free dining almost always is larger than the other discounts. It will show you the true meaning of Free Dining - even if you still want to go with your other discount at AKL.

BellePrincessBelle
05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
The OP is not including the price of the PAID dining plan in their figures. You need to do apples to apples. Your original quote does not include dining and as others have said you can not stack discounts. You either get room discount or free dining. For my family free dining was the better overall deal.

thebigkahuna
05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
You have to choose your discount at Disney - you can't have both. You can either get a discount on the room rate, or you can book free dining.

This.

When I booked my room, it was at a discounted rate. When I got a pin, I called back only to be give a HIGHER total cost.
I asked, (because that didnt' make sense) and she told me that my room rate was at XXX dollars a night - I stopped her right there - but that's NOT the room rate I booked! Turns out, you have to pick your discount. Free dining = rack rate for the hotel. Discount on the room = NO free dining.
There is free, but you have to pick what discount you want more. (I wanted the hotel for a lower rate - your views may vary)

Hope that helps!

PinkRhombus
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
As a family with 2 adult, and 2 kids under 10, the difference in savings between the different offers that have come out has been very small.

All of these have been early June, mod for 7 nights, with QSDP, base tickets and right around the same $:

4/3 deal (last year), adding quick service

30% off, adding quick service

Free QSDP pin, rack rate for room

The last one was maybe $100 cheaper than the 30% off one. I'll take the $100 savings, but it's not a deal breaker either way for us.

Bren's Mom
05-19-2010, 08:18 AM
I´kinda confused about the free dining.
We are gonna stay at wdw in the beginning of September.
2 adults.

I see that Animal Kingdom Lounge has this great rate @ 150$ night:thumbsup2,with pool view.
So when i book 6 night,the total cost are about 1021$ Inc,all taxes.
If i book this with 7 day magic your way tickets,the add for two persons will be little over 500,inc tax. for the tickets.

So,Question: Now my total cost are 1530$. This include :
6 nights. AKL,pool view and 7 day MYW tickets.
--------
If i book this with FREE dining, the cost will be 2190$.
(i do see that Disney change the nightly cost from 150 a night,to, 250 a night,when you book without this free dining package,but,,,,you can book the 150 a night price an any hotel web cite,for hotel only[/URL])

I can´t find anything free in this, just an 700$ add,for 6 days of dining for two people.

Your room, tickets and dining plan when booked with the 'free dining' promotion are $2190.

Your room, tickets and dining plan when booked with the 40% off promotion and PAYING for dining is $2117.86.

So you actually save more money by booking the 40% off promo.

I get what the op is saying, free dining ISN'T really free. It's somewhat deceptive. What we all know, and what we're sharing with the op, is that for ANY 'deal' you have to do the math. Compare apples to apples. See which is less expensive, sometimes the 'free' deal is NOT the best one...and the op is right that this isn't 'right'.

skw444
05-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok. Thanks.

This is wrong. The rack rate is usually the highest published rate for a room. The rack rate at AKL is NOT $144/$150. As others have stated, you have to pick which promo offer you want, but you can't have both.

ICF
05-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Look at it this way....

Disney is going to get their money from you (or at least most of it) one way or another.

They're either going to charge you full price for the room and give you free food or they'll give you a discount on your room but your on your own for food.

Only you know if the "free" food is less than or greater than the $100 extra you're paying for the room.

clanmcculloch
05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Your room, tickets and dining plan when booked with the 'free dining' promotion are $2190.

Your room, tickets and dining plan when booked with the 40% off promotion and PAYING for dining is $2117.86.

So you actually save more money by booking the 40% off promo.

I get what the op is saying, free dining ISN'T really free. It's somewhat deceptive. What we all know, and what we're sharing with the op, is that for ANY 'deal' you have to do the math. Compare apples to apples. See which is less expensive, sometimes the 'free' deal is NOT the best one...and the op is right that this isn't 'right'.

I don't understand the last statment that this isn't right. Why isn't it right? It's a promotion. There's nothing misleading in the name as the dining plan is included at no extra cost. Disney is also offering other promotions as well which may be better for some people (the OP for example). They don't actually have to offer any promotions at all (though if they want to fill rooms during value season and a weak economy then it's a very good idea). They're not telling people they have to choose the more expensive promotion. What's not right about it?

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I get what the op is saying, free dining ISN'T really free.Well, technically that's right. The 'headline' for the promotion does just day free dining. But the text - which a reasonable person would be expected to read and understand before booking this package - states "Book a Walt Disney World vacation package that includes a 5-night, 6-day stay at a Walt Disney World resort and a 6-day park ticket, and receive the Dining Plan for free! " (emphasis mine).

Bren's Mom
05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't understand the last statment that this isn't right. Why isn't it right? It's a promotion. There's nothing misleading in the name as the dining plan is included at no extra cost. Disney is also offering other promotions as well which may be better for some people (the OP for example). They don't actually have to offer any promotions at all (though if they want to fill rooms during value season and a weak economy then it's a very good idea). They're not telling people they have to choose the more expensive promotion. What's not right about it?

It's misleading, particularly to someone like the OP who is from another country. Many, many people I'm sure (those not on the Dis) will book the 'free' dining promo not realizing that this may be costing them MORE.

Lots of companies do this. It is what it is. But I understand and agree with the op's frustration.

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
I beg to differ - there is definitely IS such a thing as FREE DINING and it is THE BEST DEAL my family has ever gotten. However, it is not the deal that is best for each family - there is the point. I have paid $90 per night for a value room (best discount I could have gotten on that room at the time is $15 per night) - and gotten the dining for FREE saving my family of 2 adults and 2 children almost $100 per night! WOO-HOO!

Now I agree that the smaller the number of people in the room, ESPECIALLY if you want to stay in a deluxe it is usually NOT A GOOD DEAL for your family - however, it IS still free. It's just that another discount is likely going to save you more.

And you're already saving $100 per night on that room with that rate - Disney can't give everyone that AND free dining...well, I guess they could but likely not the best business decision.

The OP is right. Free should mean free in Norway and in the old USA. It is a marketing ploy that most of you have fully bought into. If it was truely free dining for resort guests, then it would be a perk like EMH. EMH does not require you to book at a higher rate. Take the deals I get for Vegas, for instance. I get a VERY discounted room, 2 for 1 show tickets, and free buffet offers for much LESS than rack rates. They don't bump the price back UP to "cover" the so-called "free" meals and show tickets. So, the OP is 100% correct. FREE dining costs you money, anyway you slice it. It might be a great deal. It might be less than you'd pay in teh parks. It might even be less than driving yourself out to Bob Evans and McD's every day, but it is not FREE. They say FREE, and it is not FREE. Just saying, no such thing as a free lunch at Diz! :hippie:

clanmcculloch
05-19-2010, 09:14 AM
The concept of free with purchase is all over the place in retail. Quite frequently there are better deals if you watch your sales because when there's a buy one get on free deal the full priced item is more than the same for frequent sale price plus the free item. The onus is ALWAYS on the consumer to look at this. It's not up to the business to tell you this. It's standard marketting practices. The item is still free as long as you satisfy the other terms of the offer.

Disney isn't saying that you get the dining plan for free without you having to satisfy any terms. They're very clear about the offer. On the Special Offers page, they line up all three deals side by side. It's very clear that there are other offers available. They make it very easy to price out all 3 offers if you want to take the few minutes needed to do so. How is Disney doing anything wrong?

It is ALWAYS up to the consumer to ensure that he is getting the best deal for him. OP chose to look on a site NOT operated by Disney. Disney makes it easy when you go through them.

mom2travel
05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
The OP is not including the price of the PAID dining plan in their figures. You need to do apples to apples. Your original quote does not include dining and as others have said you can not stack discounts. You either get room discount or free dining. For my family free dining was the better overall deal.

This is what I was going to post. The comparison is not for identical trips - OP needs to add the cost of food to the discounted room plus tix price before comparing to the free dining price.

crisi
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
The OP is right. Free should mean free in Norway and in the old USA. It is a marketing ploy that most of you have fully bought into. If it was truely free dining for resort guests, then it would be a perk like EMH. EMH does not require you to book at a higher rate. Take the deals I get for Vegas, for instance. I get a VERY discounted room, 2 for 1 show tickets, and free buffet offers for much LESS than rack rates. They don't bump the price back UP to "cover" the so-called "free" meals and show tickets. So, the OP is 100% correct. FREE dining costs you money, anyway you slice it. It might be a great deal. It might be less than you'd pay in teh parks. It might even be less than driving yourself out to Bob Evans and McD's every day, but it is not FREE. They say FREE, and it is not FREE. Just saying, no such thing as a free lunch at Diz! :hippie:

EMH isn't a free perk. EMH requires you to stay at a Disney hotel AND hold a park pass. If it were "free" it would be offered to everyone. Free Dining requires you to book a room at rack rate.

TANSTAFL and caveat emptor. Disney is a business - there isn't anything you are going to get from them other than a few marketing materials for "free."

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
To the OP poster ... this is what happens when you question almight Diz Corp on this fans board. They get defended to the hilt, and you get slammed for questioning them. Thou shalt not question Diz!! I fully understand where the OP from Norway got confused and disappointed. To him (and many non-DizBoard folks) free means free. It shocks a bunch of folks to see their so-called free dining will cost them $700 more than their room and tickets. That ain't FREE!!!

clanmcculloch
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM

You're mis-stating something. Disney is NOT bumping prices for free dining. What they're doing is offering a discount to those who do not choose free dining. They're telling people to choose which deal is best for them.

Dining is an optional component of a package. People need to buy food. The "perk" that Disney offers regarding dining for staying onsite is the ability to purchase a dining plan. Giving something that you'd normally pay for for free is not a perk, it's a discount. Room discounts are also discounts.

Let me explain this again. Disney has rack rate rooms. We'll use the OP's room as an example. Rack rate is $250. When he applies the 40% discount to the rack rate the room becomes $144 but that doesn't include dining which would cost an additional $42/pp which means $228/night for his party. When he applies free dining to the rack rate the room remains at $250/night. $228 is better than $250 so the OP is better off with a room discount. Notice that the rack rate didn't change when the dining was added with free dining. It was added FOR FREE. Again, this doesn't mean it's the best deal, just that it was free.

Here's a different example that may help you understand. If you go to a store and see shirts marked buy 2 get one free, that's effectively a 33.3% discount on each but you have to buy 3 shirts to get that 33.3% discount. If the shirts go on sale for 40% off then this is a better deal. It's a bigger discount plus you're not required to buy 3 in order to get the discount. The first deal gives you something free though. This isn't misleading or misrepresenting anything. It's up to the consumer to figure out his own best deal.

If you like the deals in vegas then go to vegas. Disney chooses their deals that work for them. When going to WDW you're limitted to the deals they offer.

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:29 AM
EMH isn't a free perk. EMH requires you to stay at a Disney hotel AND hold a park pass. If it were "free" it would be offered to everyone. Free Dining requires you to book a room at rack rate.

TANSTAFL and caveat emptor. Disney is a business - there isn't anything you are going to get from them other than a few marketing materials for "free."

I don't read you. Even in your explanation it is indeed a free perk. You have a room and ticket, you get EMH hours FREE (no additional charge). Diz busses are the same sort of thing. There is no package for EMH and bus use... you stay there and have a ticket, you have it. So, a person sees a 30 second spot in TV saying FREE dining, they think it is in that same realm. You can have a room and ticket and think dining is free, NO SUCH LUCK. It is $700 more or so. Classic bait and switch. Low-ball marketing ploy. I don't care if EVERYONE does it. Doe snot make it clean or nice.

crisi
05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't read you. Even in your explanation it is indeed a free perk. You have a room and ticket, you get EMH hours FREE (no additional charge). Diz busses are the same sort of thing. There is no package for EMH and bus use... you stay there and have a ticket, you have it. So, a person sees a 30 second spot in TV saying FREE dining, they think it is in that same realm. You can have a room and ticket and think dining is free, NO SUCH LUCK. It is $700 more or so. Classic bait and switch. Low-ball marketing ploy. I don't care if EVERYONE does it. Doe snot make it clean or nice.

And if you have a rack rate for a room during the "free dining" promotion - it becomes a free perk. You can skip the package components and not buy tickets at all - just get a hotel room at Disney for the golf - and EMH isn't a free perk. Just like you can not get a dining plan.

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
You're mis-stating something. Disney is NOT bumping prices for free dining. What they're doing is offering a discount to those who do not choose free dining. They're telling people to choose which deal is best for them.

Dining is an optional component of a package. People need to buy food. The "perk" that Disney offers regarding dining for staying onsite is the ability to purchase a dining plan. Giving something that you'd normally pay for for free is not a perk, it's a discount. Room discounts are also discounts.

Let me explain this again. Disney has rack rate rooms. We'll use the OP's room as an example. Rack rate is $250. When he applies the 40% discount to the rack rate the room becomes $144 but that doesn't include dining which would cost an additional $42/pp which means $228/night for his party. When he applies free dining to the rack rate the room remains at $250/night. $228 is better than $250 so the OP is better off with a room discount. Notice that the rack rate didn't change when the dining was added with free dining. It was added FOR FREE. Again, this doesn't mean it's the best deal, just that it was free.

Here's a different example that may help you understand. If you go to a store and see shirts marked buy 2 get one free, that's effectively a 33.3% discount on each but you have to buy 3 shirts to get that 33.3% discount. If the shirts go on sale for 40% off then this is a better deal. It's a bigger discount plus you're not required to buy 3 in order to get the discount. The first deal gives you something free though. This isn't misleading or misrepresenting anything. It's up to the consumer to figure out his own best deal.

If you like the deals in vegas then go to vegas. Disney chooses their deals that work for them. When going to WDW you're limitted to the deals they offer.

I understand the math. I understand the ploy. I am simply saying I also understand where the OP and TONS of other folks are mislead and disappointed. They plaster FREE dining on ads. Folks see what room rates they can get and think they can FINALLY afford that trip with those rates. Then .. not so fast. It is a bait and switch. It is underhanded. It is marketing 101. I am a Dizzer, but I know the game...

clanmcculloch
05-19-2010, 09:35 AM

It in no way is bait and switch. This person is getting the dining added to a full price package for no extra cost. The fact that this person did NOT take a few minutes to ask if this is the best deal or to go the WDW website to see that this isn't the only deal is his own fault. It's not $700 more than rack rate. This person just didn't take advantage of a different offer which would have been better for him.

Bait and switch is when a company advertises one thing and then delivers something else. Disney in no way says that this is the best deal for everybody. They deliver exactly what is advertised. Again, it may not be the best deal for everybody but it's still exactly what was advertised.

What ever happened to people taking responsibility for themselves? Why are consumers not resposible for finding the deal that's best for them? If you're unable to figure it out for yourself, the CM on the phone at CRO will price out all the deals for you or you could even get a TA to do it for you.

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:37 AM
And if you have a rack rate for a room during the "free dining" promotion - it becomes a free perk. You can skip the package components and not buy tickets at all - just get a hotel room at Disney for the golf - and EMH isn't a free perk. Just like you can not get a dining plan.

OK. I never even considered someone staying on property and NOT doing to the parks. Not a golfer. So, you got me on that one... but you see my point, right? ;)

andrews_dad
05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
I love a good debate before lunch! :hippie: :laughing:

hsmamato2
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I heard that podcast,and it made total sense- to OP- it's only 'free' b/c you're paying full price (i.e. more than normal 'sale'rates) for everything else. And then your food bill is included with your total. but most of us don't eat huge expensive meals 2x a day every day we're visiting Disney,unless we get the dining plan.
So in your case, I'd say get the cheaper room,and get your food your own way! I haven't checked,but possibly paying out of your pocket for the dining plan,with such a great room rate would be a better deal for you.
Or even NO meal plan, and just eating wherever you feel like it.......
figure it this way-
cost of package with 'free' dining or
cost of discounted rooms,you pay extra for the dining plan or
cost of discounted rooms,you pay oop for all meals
then decide which you like best.
Nothing is ever free.
we checked out the 'free' deal too,decided we couldn't afford that much 'free':rotfl: and we'll go when it's cheaper /a better deal for our family.

clanmcculloch
05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I understand the math. I understand the ploy. I am simply saying I also understand where the OP and TONS of other folks are mislead and disappointed. They plaster FREE dining on ads. Folks see what room rates they can get and think they can FINALLY afford that trip with those rates. Then .. not so fast. It is a bait and switch. It is underhanded. It is marketing 101. I am a Dizzer, but I know the game...

Of course it's marketting 101. Disney is a business and good marketting is part of business. How is that bait and switch? The price doesn't get increased after the dining plan is added. It is EXACTLY what is advertised which is the complete opposite of bait and switch.

I still want to know what happened to personal responsibility. Businesses aren't going to scream "we can save you even more money than the discount we're already offering" from rooftops. The website makes it easy to see other deals and CMs are CRO will also go over other discounts if consumers take just a few minutes to ask.

mommycrawford
05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
OP...with only 2 in a room the price breaks are minor, but many families travel with children, so I think in that scenario, free dining saves them considerable money...especially since children over 9 would be paying about $42 a day for the plan...so a family of 4, with 2 kids over 9 would save $160+ a day.

I do understand not being impressed with the "free dining" discount when others are comparable, but I am going for 11 nights with 3 people over age 9, so free dining is very attractive to me.

persimmondeb
05-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I think the real confusion came from believing that the Expedia rate was the "rack rate". Although when it comes to promotions, I always like the word "included" better than "free". No matter how good a deal it may or may not be, the provider always has to account for it somehow.

Planogirl
05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the real confusion came from believing that the Expedia rate was the "rack rate". Although when it comes to promotions, I always like the word "included" better than "free". No matter how good a deal it may or may not be, the provider always has to account for it somehow.
ITA. Regardless of whether this is wise marketing or whatever, it still comes down to people looking at what it's going to cost them and free dining ending up costing them more doesn't FEEL free. I understand why it is but the impression is that it's not.

deerhart
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
wow, saying that this is a bait and switch or that its lowball marketing is like looking at two grocery stores and seeing that salad dressing is b1 g1 free at regular price at one place and the other is 2 for $3.00. You then have to figure out which is the better deal for you

Look Disney is running 2 promotions. Count them 1 - free dining plan 2 - % off the room rate.

You get one or the other but not both. I've not ran into a hotel, amusement park, etc that will allow me to use multiple promotions to save more money.

It's NOT a bait and switch, its not lowball, but rather its consumers who don't read EVERYTHING about the rate they are quoted before jumping the gun. Further expedia is HORRIBLE at producing that fine print. I check prices on there but then always go to the source to confirm pricing (hotel website, etc) and check out the details of the price before purchasing.

crisi
05-19-2010, 10:31 AM
ITA. Regardless of whether this is wise marketing or whatever, it still comes down to people looking at what it's going to cost them and free dining ending up costing them more doesn't FEEL free. I understand why it is but the impression is that it's not.

And, quite honestly, Disney has had such good success with "free dining" that its become not nearly as good a deal over the years. They seem to have moved to a "Kohl's model" - everything is on sale all the time, so if you are buying it for 20% off, you are pretty much paying full price - its the 40% off sales that are the good ones. And Free Dining - unless you have four adults in a value room - is often more of a 20% off sale than the 40% off sale.

I've never really "gotten" the dining plan - free or not free. I remember when the "budget board" had a lot of threads on how to save money eating at Disney - and it was never suggested that a sit down meal once a day with dessert and tip was going to save you money. Its a really nice value add for a lot of people's vacations - but its still possible to eat a lot cheaper at Disney than using the dining plan.

deerhart
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM

I just don't get why you see it this way. Lots and lots of sales aren't the "best buy" and end up costing you more. Just look at your grocery store. They will run numerous sales left and right. The salad dressing I talked about is a good example. One week is buy 2 for $3 the next week it's b1g1 free and the regular price is $3.29. Of course the sale he week before was the "better" deal and saved me more money, but that does not make the free bottle THIS week somehow not FREE because I could have saved $0.29 buying a different way.

It was just like when Disney was running the % off promos and the gift card promo at the same time. You got one or the other and needed to do the math to determine which one would result in better savings for you.

Planogirl
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
It's the word 'free'. That word conjures up a lot of images for people and something costing more is likely not one of them. Again, I understant the points and why Disney does this but it leaves some people with a different impression until they check the figures. If it works out to cost more of course they're disappointed.

deerhart
05-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I guess its all in point of view.

If I have the option of buy this get that free and THIS costs me $10, but all I need is THAT and it costs me normally $9, I can either get both for $10 or just buy what I need and only spend $9.

at $150 a night for 6 nights her room will cost her $900 + tax. Her tickets will be roughly $600 for two adults. A meal plan for two adults would be $504.00 This is for the 40% off sale for a total of $2004

with free dining her hotel is $250 a night for 6 nights for a total of $1500 + tax, tickets are still 500 and the meal plan is free. Thus the total is $2100.

When she compared just tickets and room at the 40% to tickets and room with free dining, she wasn't comparing apples to apples because she left off the cost of dining in her first equation. I assume she thought she would get it as well as the 40% off the room rate so she would only have a cost of $1500 for 6 nights at a deluxe resort, tickets, and the regular dining plan

crisi
05-19-2010, 11:10 AM
It's the word 'free'. That word conjures up a lot of images for people and something costing more is likely not one of them. Again, I understant the points and why Disney does this but it leaves some people with a different impression until they check the figures. If it works out to cost more of course they're disappointed.

Does Disney call it "Free Dining" - I haven't paid much attention but most of the promotional materials I've seen say something like "Free Disney Dining with the purchase of a minimum five night stay at a Disney resort."

Free Dining is, as far as I know, Disney Fan community shorthand.

4Seasons
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Of course it's marketting 101. Disney is a business and good marketting is part of business. How is that bait and switch? The price doesn't get increased after the dining plan is added. It is EXACTLY what is advertised which is the complete opposite of bait and switch.

I still want to know what happened to personal responsibility. Businesses aren't going to scream "we can save you even more money than the discount we're already offering" from rooftops. The website makes it easy to see other deals and CMs are CRO will also go over other discounts if consumers take just a few minutes to ask.

Exactly....DISNEY IS A MASTER AT MARKETING!!!
If this promotion didn't work they wouldn't have offered it year after year.

I mean look at it, look at the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people who "drink their Koolaid" and come back again and again, year after year (sometimes many times a year). Disney does something to attract and hook MILLIONS of loyal patrons (look at this board!)

Is it misleading or "bait and switch"?? NO

Is it a good deal??? Depends on your situation, for some it is, other not. That's totally for the consumer to determine.

Look at the fine print on promo advertising on other products/services. Many if not MOST times, it will be limited in some way, shape or form (i.e. "not combinable with any other discount/promotions).

It's nothing new, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a very common marketing practice.

Bottom line is.......if you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

brymolmom
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
OK - serious question because I'm curious for those who think that free dining isn't really free or that Disney is misleading consumers or whatever along those lines...

Do you think a reasonable consumer should expect to be able to get 40% off a room, PLUS the $500 gift card promo, PLUS the kids play and stay and dine free offer, PLUS the QS dining plan free using a PIN? Maybe a family of 4 would end up paying a couple hundred dollars for this trip??

I guess I just think that it makes common sense that I can't get all of these things together. So, to me, FREE dining is free...I don't expect to get the other discounts but do expect not to have to pay for the dining plan portion of my bill thus making it FREE as in I'm not paying for it. I am just surprised that it is misleading UNLESS you truly think the above could happen. THEN, I could see BIG disappointment.

3boymthr
05-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I guess its all in point of view.

If I have the option of buy this get that free and THIS costs me $10, but all I need is THAT and it costs me normally $9, I can either get both for $10 or just buy what I need and only spend $9.

at $150 a night for 6 nights her room will cost her $900 + tax. Her tickets will be roughly $600 for two adults. A meal plan for two adults would be $504.00 This is for the 40% off sale for a total of $2004

with free dining her hotel is $250 a night for 6 nights for a total of $1500 + tax, tickets are still 500 and the meal plan is free. Thus the total is $2100.

When she compared just tickets and room at the 40% to tickets and room with free dining, she wasn't comparing apples to apples because she left off the cost of dining in her first equation. I assume she thought she would get it as well as the 40% off the room rate so she would only have a cost of $1500 for 6 nights at a deluxe resort, tickets, and the regular dining plan

Actually, her dining wouldn't cost her $504 because the DDP isn't available when booking thru Expedia. Her meals would be 100% OOP. So the total cost could actually end up costing her more even with the 40% off room rate.

3boymthr
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
OK - serious question because I'm curious for those who think that free dining isn't really free or that Disney is misleading consumers or whatever along those lines...

Do you think a reasonable consumer should expect to be able to get 40% off a room, PLUS the $500 gift card promo, PLUS the kids play and stay and dine free offer, PLUS the QS dining plan free using a PIN? Maybe a family of 4 would end up paying a couple hundred dollars for this trip??

I guess I just think that it makes common sense that I can't get all of these things together. So, to me, FREE dining is free...I don't expect to get the other discounts but do expect not to have to pay for the dining plan portion of my bill thus making it FREE as in I'm not paying for it. I am just surprised that it is misleading UNLESS you truly think the above could happen. THEN, I could see BIG disappointment.

Nope Free Dining isn't "free". To me free dining is when I go someplace like the Hueston Woods Resort in OH and get the Family Getaway pkg. (or whatever pkg.) which includes two nights room at a discount of $20/night off rack rate and Free Pizza each night plus I'm getting 20 tokens for the arcade and something else I can't remember what. Now the caliber of the resorts isn't comparable, but roll with me here.

Or to use another analogy - When I stay at the Country Inn & Suites when I visit my MIL I can go pay rack rate or I can pay AAA rate or I can use a coupon or I can bid for a room at 50% off via priceline AND no matter I pay what I still get a free breakfast.

Now, I know WDW is offering way more in terms of food and entertainment, etc. but there you have it.

Bren's Mom
05-19-2010, 12:53 PM

I can understand your point, and that of everyone else who agrees with you. I think most consumers easily understand that there are different promos and that it's imcumbent on you to check out the options to see which promo works best for you or is the better deal. In the case of free dining, though, I think what some of us are relating to is the 'FREE' part.

Let me give you an example of my thinking:

You normally buy X brand shampoo, 24 ounces, and it costs $4.99. (Forget that this is the budget board and you got it free after CVS'ing and coupons...LOL...pretend you really normally pay $4.99.) You see an ad that says 'Get 25% more FREE!' for this shampoo. So you go to buy your now 30oz bottle of shampoo and it's $6.99. Are those extra 6 ounces really free? Um, no. You're paying MORE per ounce than you were before. That's misleading. You expect that when you buy the 'bonus' bottle, the price will remain the same.

So I still think it's reasonable for someone to think that FREE dining is really FREE. That during X time when you book a Disney vacation, they throw in the dining plan at no cost to you. So if you've been looking at Disney properties and see that they cost $150 per night (or whatever) that you might be unpleasantly surprised to find out that no, you don't get FREE dining with that room if you happen to be booking during the promo time period, that in fact, you have to spend much more for the room in order to get the FREE dining.

labdogs42
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
And, quite honestly, Disney has had such good success with "free dining" that its become not nearly as good a deal over the years. They seem to have moved to a "Kohl's model" - everything is on sale all the time, so if you are buying it for 20% off, you are pretty much paying full price - its the 40% off sales that are the good ones. And Free Dining - unless you have four adults in a value room - is often more of a 20% off sale than the 40% off sale.

LOL. Love your reference to the Kohl's model. Everything is overpriced so we can put it on "sale" all the time! ;) I love free dining and I love Kohl's, too! Guess I'm a sucker for a crappy deal! :laughing:

skw444
05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Let me give you an example of my thinking:

You normally buy X brand shampoo, 24 ounces, and it costs $4.99. (Forget that this is the budget board and you got it free after CVS'ing and coupons...LOL...pretend you really normally pay $4.99.) You see an ad that says 'Get 25% more FREE!' for this shampoo. So you go to buy your now 30oz bottle of shampoo and it's $6.99. Are those extra 6 ounces really free? Um, no. You're paying MORE per ounce than you were before. That's misleading. You expect that when you buy the 'bonus' bottle, the price will remain the same.

Using your analogy of the shampoo, here is how I think Free Dining works.

You go to CVS to buy a bottle of shampoo. It costs $4.99. This week they are offering a deal where you get a smaller travel size bottle free. The price is still $4.99 but you're getting the extra bottle (that you normally would've had to pay for) for free. But say it's the following week. The same $4.99 bottle of shampoo is on sale for $3.99 but because it's a different promo, you don't get the free bottle of shampoo. So, now if you want that extra bottle of shampoo, it's $3.99 plus the cost of the shampoo.

So, yes the first scenario costs you a little more money but you are getting the travel bottle free.

Bren's Mom
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Using your analogy of the shampoo, here is how I think Free Dining works.

You go to CVS to buy a bottle of shampoo. It costs $4.99. This week they are offering a deal where you get a smaller travel size bottle free. The price is still $4.99 but you're getting the extra bottle (that you normally would've had to pay for) for free. But say it's the following week. The same $4.99 bottle of shampoo is on sale for $3.99 but because it's a different promo, you don't get the free bottle of shampoo. So, now if you want that extra bottle of shampoo, it's $3.99 plus the cost of the shampoo.

So, yes the first scenario costs you a little more money but you are getting the travel bottle free.

Ahhhh...BUT...

Let's say the free travel size bottle free is for the month of September. And then a separate promo is in that store's ad for the week of Sept 1-7, the $3.99 sale. Wouldn't you think you'd get both?

LisaNJ25
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
OP...with only 2 in a room the price breaks are minor, but many families travel with children, so I think in that scenario, free dining saves them considerable money...especially since children over 9 would be paying about $42 a day for the plan...so a family of 4, with 2 kids over 9 would save $160+ a day.

I do understand not being impressed with the "free dining" discount when others are comparable, but I am going for 11 nights with 3 people over age 9, so free dining is very attractive to me.

exactly... for us we are paying $150 a night for POR and with getting free dinning it is saving us approx $150 a night. So its like we are getting the room for free.

I can see how the free dinning deals arent as good for couples or smaller families.

ReneeA
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
So what about those families of 4 that go to WDW during free dining, stay in a value resort at a rack rate of $97 a night? They are also getting the quick service plan free, which would cost $84 a night (2a, 2c) to add if they were paying; even more than that if one or more kids were over the age of 9.

You can't tell me you don't consider that free.:confused3 Even a 30% discount on the room only amounts to a $32 a night savings...and then you still have to pay OOP for food (which will cost a family of 4 a boatload more than $32 a day).

I can see the argument that it's not as great of a deal for the deluxe resorts...but it doesn't hold water when discussing values or even moderates when we're talking families with children.

Huff
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
To me free dining is when I go someplace like the Hueston Woods Resort in OH and get the Family Getaway pkg. (or whatever pkg.) which includes two nights room at a discount of $20/night off rack rate and Free Pizza each night plus I'm getting 20 tokens for the arcade and something else I can't remember what. Now the caliber of the resorts isn't comparable, but roll with me here.

Per some comments here you didn't get the pizza free nor the tokens. Odds are you could have gotten the room cheaper than $20 off rack by bidding on priceline or perhaps some other discounted offer.

What if there was a clear choice made in advertisements. Perhaps the ad read Free Dining OR 40% off room rate? The choice is yours as to which is better. For our group of 4 the free dining far exceeds the 30% off a value resort.

Tiger926
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

ITA! As an English teacher it drives me nuts when people say that free dining isn't free - yet it is. I'm not sure what vocabulary problem people have with this concept. A vacation package is made up of several components, and each of those components has a value attached to it. In this case, the room component will vary, but the dining component of the package is a zero charge, which = free! There is no bait and switch - that would only be the case if they charged you a fee of some sort when booking a free dining package. That clearly is not the case.

Whether it's the best deal is another discussion...but free dining is free as there is no charge for that component of the package! Tiger

crisi
05-19-2010, 03:20 PM
LOL. Love your reference to the Kohl's model. Everything is overpriced so we can put it on "sale" all the time! ;) I love free dining and I love Kohl's, too! Guess I'm a sucker for a crappy deal! :laughing:

I like Kohl's myself. But the trick is to understand the VALUE of your purchases and the going deals. If I wander into Kohl's because I need new jeans right now, I'm taking my chances on getting jeans for $10 more than if I watched the racks for three weeks.

Disney is the same way - understand the value of the package deal. Savvy Disney shoppers have been doing it for years - anyone remember the "never buy the package" advice from long ago - packages always had a mark up over buying the components individually (this was back in the "Disney doesn't Discount" days). Also, understand the components of your deal - a Water Parks and More option on your seven day hoppers is NOT a good deal if you will only doing one "Water Park or More" during your stay. The Dining Plan is seldom a good deal if you will skip meals and spend several days at Universal - or if you don't want to make ADRs.

cmjaffe
05-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Doesn't the guest have to pay tax/tip on the "free" dining plan now? (vs. years ago when it was "truly" free?)
If the OP is considering the free plan she must also add in the extra $$ they will be expected to pay for tax/tip on the amount that is used at the eating establishments.

deerhart
05-19-2010, 03:45 PM
So what about those families of 4 that go to WDW during free dining, stay in a value resort at a rack rate of $97 a night? They are also getting the quick service plan free, which would cost $84 a night (2a, 2c) to add if they were paying; even more than that if one or more kids were over the age of 9.

You can't tell me you don't consider that free.:confused3 Even a 30% discount on the room only amounts to a $32 a night savings...and then you still have to pay OOP for food (which will cost a family of 4 a boatload more than $32 a day).

I can see the argument that it's not as great of a deal for the deluxe resorts...but it doesn't hold water when discussing values or even moderates when we're talking families with children.

We are staying in Deluxe (Beach Club) with 40% off. This saves us $140-$150 a night. It ALSO saves us about $15 in taxes (since the tax rate is something like 11%) Our dining plan costs $138 a day (2 adults, 1 junior, 1 child).

So our total off room cost is about $151-$165 and for our stay is roughly $1300, our meal plan costs $1104. The meal plan does not become a better deal until my youngest child is also paying adult prices when staying at a deluxe and having a 40% off code.

On the other hand, staying at a moderate or value, the meal plan becomes the better deal. There my room would cost about $1350 (pre tax and rough estimate) and my meal plan still $1104. The discount of 30% would only save us $476. Value we would save like $240 total with the 30% discount.

So any promo that saves us over $1300 on a deluxe would be the one we would choose as so far that's the best deal.

crisi
05-19-2010, 03:55 PM
ITA! As an English teacher it drives me nuts when people say that free dining isn't free - yet it is. I'm not sure what vocabulary problem people have with this concept. A vacation package is made up of several components, and each of those components has a value attached to it. In this case, the room component will vary, but the dining component of the package is a zero charge, which = free! There is no bait and switch - that would only be the case if they charged you a fee of some sort when booking a free dining package. That clearly is not the case.

Whether it's the best deal is another discussion...but free dining is free as there is no charge for that component of the package! Tiger

I'm an accountant, not an English teacher. When pricing something, you need to review the total cost of ownership of the package. Its only free if its acquisition is not tied to another acquisition.

For instance, when Ronco includes the egg separator in when you buy the inside the egg scrambler - it isn't free. The cost of goods in the egg separator has been built into the price of the inside the egg scrambler. If it was free, you could call up and just get a free egg separator.

deerhart
05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Doesn't the guest have to pay tax/tip on the "free" dining plan now? (vs. years ago when it was "truly" free?)
If the OP is considering the free plan she must also add in the extra $$ they will be expected to pay for tax/tip on the amount that is used at the eating establishments.

tax is included, tip isn't

Tiger926
05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm an accountant, not an English teacher. When pricing something, you need to review the total cost of ownership of the package. Its only free if its acquisition is not tied to another acquisition.

For instance, when Ronco includes the egg separator in when you buy the inside the egg scrambler - it isn't free. The cost of goods in the egg separator has been built into the price of the inside the egg scrambler. If it was free, you could call up and just get a free egg separator.

The promo doesn't say "free package" as it's listed as "free dining", which means it's one component of the package.

Your total cost of ownership example can only apply when discerning what is the best promo deal for you, but, when discussing the actual concept of 'free dining', the dining portion is free as there is a zero charge attached to it. Whether the acquisition of this particular package component is tied to another is not revelant as Disney isn't advertising a free total vacation package. They are only advertising one component of said vacation package as being free. This is just a straight vocabulary issue - free dining really means free dining.

gina2000
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
It would be much more accurate to advertise: Free dining when you book a room at rack rate.

But WDW doesn't and too many people don't realize or understand that room rates are negotiable depending on occupancy rates.

Is it bait and switch? No, but it's not entirely straightforward either.

Planogirl
05-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Again, I'm only going by total cost. People can get a room for a certain amount at a discount. Of course anyone can understand that. However when said room is offered with free dining and you find that the room now costs quite a bit more, the dining no longer feels free to some people.

This has nothing to do with grammar or even logic ;) but the word 'free' and what someone might expect.

Personally I don't take part in any of it so I have no feelings one way or the other. But I know that some people particularly newbies can get a bit thrown off by this.

ExPirateShopGirl
05-19-2010, 06:01 PM
If you'll notice Disney has been adding the 'non-discounted package' disclaimer on its advertising for the free dining promotion.

Back when free dining was first offered it was a major steal for those staying in Value resorts. My kids and I dined for free (as 3 adults) and paid in the $78 or $82 range for the room at Pop... back when appetizers and tips were included. Sigh... the good old days!

Planogirl
05-19-2010, 06:03 PM
If you'll notice Disney has been adding the 'non-discounted package' disclaimer on its advertising for the free dining promotion.

Back when free dining was first offered it was a major steal for those staying in Value resorts. My kids and I dined for free (as 3 adults) and paid in the $78 or $82 range for the room at Pop... back when appetizers and tips were included. Sigh... the good old days!
Now THAT is a great deal! I always heard about these great rates but always had bad luck finding them except once at AKL. Bless AKL. :)

vicki_c
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
But WDW doesn't and too many people don't realize or understand that room rates are negotiable depending on occupancy rates.

This is not really true because it suggests that YOU can negotiate a better room price if the resort is not booked. Which you can't do at Disney, as far as I've ever heard.

Room rates are not "negotiable", but they do fluctuate depending on what other offers Disney is putting out, time of year, etc.

And I agree with all the others -- why would Disney make it really really obvious that there might be a better deal out there? That wouldn't be good business, and as a stockholder, I'm glad they make smart business decisions (most of the time anyway). Just like any company -- maximizing profit is what it's all about and if they want to stay in business, that's how it should be.

EclecticWAHM
05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
It would be much more accurate to advertise: Free dining when you book a room at rack rate.

Is it bait and switch? No, but it's not entirely straightforward either.

Sure they do - it's very straightforward:

Price based on 2 adults, one junior and one child. Number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Savings based on non-discounted price for the same package. Tickets are for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. See Important Details. Book through August 14, 2010.

It says so right on the page.

luckygirl539
05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
What if we have four adults in a room, and the free dining is only supposed to cover 2 adults and 2 kids? Can you pay the difference to add the other adults?

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Many, many people I'm sure (those not on the Dis) will book the 'free' dining promo not realizing that this may be costing them MORE.
The OP is right. Free should mean free in Norway and in the old USA.Free DOES mean free. It can't be considered the business's fault when people hear only what they want to hear.

I'm watching USA Network right now - 'now' being May 19, 2010. Some time between 10:15 and 10:35 PM, they aired a Walt Disney World commercial. In part, the announcer stated,
"Get the dining plan free when you book a five night six day Walt Disney World vacation including..."

Not "free dining" but "the dining plan free". BIG difference - but people hear only what they want to hear, and then interpret what they want to hear as they see fit. Add in doing the math backwards and you have misplaced anger or extreme confusion - as in this thread.

EclecticWAHM
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
What if we have four adults in a room, and the free dining is only supposed to cover 2 adults and 2 kids? Can you pay the difference to add the other adults?

You'll get the free dining for however many adults you register with your package. The 2 adults 2 kids is just an example they give.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Take the deals I get for Vegas, for instance. I get a VERY discounted room, 2 for 1 show tickets, and free buffet offers for much LESS than rack rates. They don't bump the price back UP to "cover" the so-called "free" meals and show tickets. Las Vegas is a whole different animal. While several companies own multiple properties, they still compete with other companies. Walt Disney World 'competes' with itself to a much greater degree than it competes with any offsite property.

So, the OP is 100% correct. FREE dining costs you money, anyway you slice it. It might be a great deal. It might be less than you'd pay in teh parks. It might even be less than driving yourself out to Bob Evans and McD's every day, but it is not FREE. They say FREE, and it is not FREE. Just saying, no such thing as a free lunch at Diz! :hippie: The OP is incorrect. The OP is doing the math backwards. Walt Disney World is not adding anything to anything. They are charging rack rate - the same rate from which they calculate any discounts. The dining plan free is simply an alternative discount.

WALT DISNEY WORLD DOES NOT OFFER FREE DINING, no matter how many timees we call it that on the DIS Boards or how many times anybody calls it that on any other unofficial site. They call the promotion EXACTLY what it is: THE DINING PLAN FREE, with the purchase of a Walt Disney World Vacation Package (note that not only do they designate it 100% accurately, they include the conditions required to qualify to get the dining plan free).

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
To the OP poster ... this is what happens when you question almight Diz Corp on this fans board. They get defended to the hilt, and you get slammed for questioning them. Thou shalt not question Diz!! I fully understand where the OP from Norway got confused and disappointed. To him (and many non-DizBoard folks) free means free. It shocks a bunch of folks to see their so-called free dining will cost them $700 more than their room and tickets. That ain't FREE!!! I'm not sure where you're getting this impression, or why you're spreading inaccurate information. When any business or entity is in the wrong, of course it's reasonable and sensible to question their actions.

In this case, Walt Disney World - which is, as fare as I can tell, to what you refer when you say 'the Diz' - has made no error and has disseminated no false or incorrect information here. Nor has the OP been 'slammed'. The OP's calculations are erroneous because (a) he/she is basing them on false beliefs - that Walt Disney World doesn't allow outside sources (Expedia in this case) to offer discounted prices, which was pointed out to be wrong based on information on Expedia's own site and (b) he/she does not understand rack rate, which is the listed/published/standard room rate a hotel charges, expects to get, and bases its projected revenue on. NO business would EVER set a rack rate and then ADD to it. EVER.

Again, Walt Disney World does not, has not, and to the best of my knowledge will not ever offer free dining. They have in the past had, and currently offer (and ideally will continue in the future) their dining plan free with the purchase of a Walt Disney World Vacation Package. Yes, there's a difference - a big difference.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't read you. Even in your explanation it is indeed a free perk. You have a room and ticket, you get EMH hours FREE (no additional charge). There are still conditions. You have to meet all the conditions. In the case of EMH, no there's not a package - but you have to be a registered Guest at a Walt Disney World resort (or have checked out that day) and possess and use a valid park pass.

There is no package for EMH and bus use... you stay there and have a ticket, you have it Now you're comparing oranges and monkeys. There are no [enforced] conditions for bus - any WDW transportation usage, period. Get in line, get on the bus/boat/monorail, ride. That's it. You could be hitchhiking through the area - wouldn't matter. No comparison

So, a person sees a 30 second spot in TV saying FREE dining,But the person DIDN'T see ir hear an ad of ANY length saying free dining. They saw or heard an ad saying "... the dining plan free with the purchase of a Walt Disney World Vacation Package...".

Classic bait and switch. Low-ball marketing ploy Neither. You should really take the time to learn more about marketing.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I understand the math. I understand the ploy. I am simply saying I also understand where the OP and TONS of other folks are mislead and disappointed. They plaster FREE dining on ads. Folks see what room rates they can get and think they can FINALLY afford that trip with those rates. Then .. not so fast. It is a bait and switch. It is underhanded. It is marketing 101. I am a Dizzer, but I know the game...If you could please direct me to anywhere that Walt Disney World has plastered "free dining" on ads, I would appreciate it. I haven't seen that anywhere. What I've seen is "the dining plan free with the purchase of a Walt Disney World Vacation..." which is VERY different from what you - and apparently many others - percieve. Advertisers can't be responsible for readers' comprehension.

It's not bait & switch.
It's not underhanded in the least.
Marketing 101? Maybe - but the marketer knows what they're doing, it's 100% on the up-and-up, completely legitimate, and entirely ethical. There's no intent to mislead. Again, they can't help it if readers interpret "... dining plan free with the purchase of a vacation package..." as "free dining". Nor should they be expected to.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Do you think a reasonable consumer should expect to be able to get 40% off a room, PLUS the $500 gift card promo, PLUS the kids play and stay and dine free offer, PLUS the QS dining plan free using a PIN? Maybe a family of 4 would end up paying a couple hundred dollars for this trip?? Well, since you asked... :teeth:

Let's see. The $500 gift card was at the Moderate resorts, right? So, okay, $149 weeknights, $159 weekends. We'll go with the typical seven night vacation.
$149 x 5 = $745 + $159 x 2 = $318; $745 + $318 = $1,063 + 12.5% tax = $1,195.88
$1,195.88 - 40% = $717.53
$500 gift card = ($500.00)
kids play/stay/eat free = $0.00
Free DDP PIN = $0.00 (heck, it's a PIN code, why not upgrade it to the original plan ;))
Two adult one day base passes = $168.27 (using old passes or APs, bought these just to satisfy package requirements)

$717.53 - $500.00 + $0 + $0 + $168.27 = $385.80 net cost for a one week vacation for a family of four, with park access and dining.

I'm in!

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Nope Free Dining isn't "free".But, again - simply because we call it "free dining" doesn't make it free dining. Walt Disney calls it "the dining plan free" (with WDW vacation package purchase).

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 10:54 PM
You normally buy X brand shampoo, 24 ounces, and it costs $4.99. (Forget that this is the budget board and you got it free after CVS'ing and coupons...LOL...pretend you really normally pay $4.99.) You see an ad that says 'Get 25% more FREE!' for this shampoo. So you go to buy your now 30oz bottle of shampoo and it's $6.99. Are those extra 6 ounces really free? Um, no. You're paying MORE per ounce than you were before. That's misleading. You expect that when you buy the 'bonus' bottle, the price will remain the same.Well, no, that's not the same at all. That's a consumer affairs issue. SOMEBODY'S taking advantage of a change in the package size. I'm giving the store manager one chance to fix the mistake, then I'm calling the Attorney General's office.

That's not what Walt Disney World is doing. They're being clear about what the offer is. They're not taking advantage of anything. They're CERTAINLY not increasing any price to compensate for offering the dining plan free as a promotion.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
What if there was a clear choice made in advertisements. Perhaps the ad read Free Dining OR 40% off room rate? The choice is yours as to which is better. For our group of 4 the free dining far exceeds the 30% off a value resort.Respectfully, with so many people not being able to tell the difference between 'rack rate' and a discounted or sale rate; or the difference between "free dining" and "the dining plan free...", do you really think it would be advisable to put multiple package choices in a single advertisement?

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
For instance, when Ronco includes the egg separator in when you buy the inside the egg scrambler - it isn't free. The cost of goods in the egg separator has been built into the price of the inside the egg scrambler. If it was free, you could call up and just get a free egg separator. Okay, so it's not free, it's a Gift With Purchase - just like when you go to Macy's and spend $35 on make-up and get a 'free' tote bag.

Therefore, when Walt Disney World offers its package promotion that includes a Dining Plan at no additional cost over the price of the package... it's a Gift With Purchase.

Case closed.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Again, I'm only going by total cost. People can get a room for a certain amount at a discount. Of course anyone can understand that. However when said room is offered with free dining and you find that the room now costs quite a bit more, the dining no longer feels free to some people.
The room doesn't cost 'quite a bit more' with the dining plan free. It costs quite a bit less when it's discounted from the rack rate exclusive of any other promotion.

No, it's not semantics. It's fact.

kaytieeldr
05-19-2010, 11:24 PM
No, but that's GOOD news :teeth:

There's an additional per-adult charge for more than two people ages eighteen and over in the room: Value resort $10 per night per adult, Moderate resort $15 per night per adult, Deluxe Resort $25 per adult per night. Plus tax, of course ;).

Once you pay the extra person cost for the room, each occupant gets the dining plan free as part of their package. Say you were staying at Pop Century Sunday through Friday, so five nights. Rack rate is $82 per night, plus $20 for the two additional adults, or $102; with tax, $114.75. At the Value resorts, you get the Quick Service Dining Plan, normal cost $31.99 per night. Total for four people, $127.96. The value of your free dining plan is MORE than what you'll be paying for the room.

You could upgrade to the Standard Dining Plan for $10 per night each. This brings your per-night room rate to $154.75 including the upcharge (but no change in tax because your room rate itself doesn't change), while the value of your free dining plan also increases - to $167.96. Again, you're paying less, total, for the room than the value of your dining plan.

Trying it another way - if you were to stay at a Moderate resort, four people for the same five nights would be (and I know I did this above, but still...) $1,006.88. The value of your (basic) dining plan for four adults for the five nights would be $839.80. Not the same great bargain - but a difference of about $160, more amenities, better landscaping... and with careful planning, you could probably 'spend' more than a thousand dollars worth of credits ;)

bumbershoot
05-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I went from page one to page six with nothing in between...wanted to mention....

I didn't do it this year, but the last 2 or 3 years I've checked the package prices *before* "free dining" was announced, and then after. And each time, the price I was quoted before was the same price I was quoted after. Therefore, if I was only going to go with whatever package deal I was offered through disneyworld.com, the dining plan would very much indeed be free to me. If I were going to pay the price (and a reasonable price indeed, I have seen!) anyway, it would be great!

All the OP is doing wrong is looking at one discount price and wanting that discount *along with* the "free" dining plan as well. Can't do it.

Tiger926
05-20-2010, 05:40 AM
katieeldr - I'm confused as to why you say "free dining" is different than "dining plan free"? It is one and the same in this promo as Disney clearly states that a package must be purchased - the dining is free, no matter how anyone slices it on here or anywhere else. That package component is free - there is no charge for it.

As we've already beaten to death on this thread and countless others - Disney rooms start at rack rates. They don't have to offer discounts to anyone. The fact that they do, just seems to confuse people.

If you want the free dining promo, you start at rack rate for room, and the dining plan is added to your package at no charge = free.

If you want a 40% room discount, then you get a 40% room discount off of rack rate, and the dining plan may be added at a cost, plain and simple.

Free is free - as it pertains in this case to one package component. Whether you call it free dining or dining plan free, is irrelevant in this case as all of the promos clearly state that it pertains only to package deals. Now, if Disney advertised free dining with no package stipulations, then that would be another issue entirely. That is not the case here, nor has it ever been (I think this is what you were attempting to say) as this promo clearly states that a vacation package must be purchased.

I guess this topic is one that will never truly be understood as people will conjure up their own ideas as to what "free" actually means. It doesn't mean total package free or cheapest package - all it means, as Disney is clearly advertising, is that one package component is free. The stipulations are clear about no other stacking of discounts, so rack room rates apply.

It is up to the guest to determine, just as they do with other promos: military, AAA, etc., what the best promo is for their family.

As many of us have pointed out, the OP thought he could stack discounts together - that is not possible, and so he must determine what the best deal is for his family. It's not Disney's fault at all, and those who think Disney is misleading or falsely advertising are absolutely incorrect.

StitchandPooh'sMom
05-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Now you're comparing oranges and monkeys.

Where, oh where is the Tag Fairy? :rotfl2: I am loving reading this debate, but this made me LOL. Thanks for the giggle this morning! :goodvibes

kaytieeldr
05-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I guess this topic is one that will never truly be understood as people will conjure up their own ideas as to what "free" actually means.Well, I think I've taken about fifteen posts to express what you very clearly stated in one single sentence!!!!!! You truly boiled down the entire issue to its core, and I thank you for that. It's a good thing I'm not working today, or I'd be kicking myself for staying up 3/4 of the night only to have someone synopsize all my 'hard work' into a single lucid statement :rotfl:

kaytieeldr
05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Where, oh where is the Tag Fairy? :rotfl2: I am loving reading this debate, but this made me LOL. Thanks for the giggle this morning! :goodvibes
Aw, thanks - but I think the Tag Fairy doesn't like me :sad: I'm glad I made you giggle, though. Did I mention my backup career in stand-up comedy? ;)

StitchandPooh'sMom
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Aw, thanks - but I think the Tag Fairy doesn't like me :sad:

Perhaps because your self-imposed tag is already awesome - I laugh every time I see it! ;)

But I'm still giggling over the oranges vs. monkeys comment. :)

kaytieeldr
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Thank you again. The stand-up comedy show was May 18, and we were all great... and I rocked. I'm thinking of getting into, if not stand-up, at least comedy writing ;)

Tiger926
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, I think I've taken about fifteen posts to express what you very clearly stated in one single sentence!!!!!! You truly boiled down the entire issue to its core, and I thank you for that. It's a good thing I'm not working today, or I'd be kicking myself for staying up 3/4 of the night only to have someone synopsize all my 'hard work' into a single lucid statement :rotfl:

:rotfl:Right back at you! The oranges and monkey comment was hilarious!!!

crostorfer
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
There was a post similar to this about a month ago or so where someone was kind and generous enough to make a price comparison chart and share it with the rest of us, (I'd have to go back and find the link), so that people could decide whether their PIN codes were a better deal, or if Free Dining was better all based on where you were staying at. They broke down specific costs and gave examples for different family sizes.

All in all the general consensous was that if you are staying at a Deluxe, (like the AKL as the OP stated), you are better off taking the $40% off. You have to do your research, which is why I LOVE DIS! :love:

And just to throw my two cents in...no, free dining isn't totally free anymore, nor should anyone expect it to be. If it was totally free, Disney would cover the tip and the adult drinks too, LOL! I kid, I kid, don't flame me please.

Planogirl
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't partake so they can call it free dining for monkeys if they wish. (The oranges and monkeys thing is funny. :) ) As Tiger926 stated it depends on what people feel the meaning of 'free' actually is. I see free dining as free but still expensive in some cases. I doubt that Disney would put that in their ads though. ;)

3boymthr
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Per some comments here you didn't get the pizza free nor the tokens. Odds are you could have gotten the room cheaper than $20 off rack by bidding on priceline or perhaps some other discounted offer.

What if there was a clear choice made in advertisements. Perhaps the ad read Free Dining OR 40% off room rate? The choice is yours as to which is better. For our group of 4 the free dining far exceeds the 30% off a value resort.

Actually, at this resort, no I couldn't. They don't show up on Priceline or any other travel website and the AAA rates are higher and don't include any benefits. It's booked exclusively thru Xanterra - so in this instance I did get it all.

Really, I dont think what they are doing is wrong per-se but it definitely is a matter of perception and it's definitely not free - and unless you somehow have a deal where you are staying on points - you are paying for it some way some how - just like I'm paying for my vacation. For me nothing is free unless I'm paying absolutely $0 for it. For us "free dining" or "free dining plan" wouldn't be a good deal - not that I'm going anyway - we're going to the aforementioned Hueston Woods.

DawnM
05-20-2010, 03:15 PM
We don't do free dining. We can't afford it! :lmao:

We don't stay on property either.

Dawn

deerhart
05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Actually, at this resort, no I couldn't. They don't show up on Priceline or any other travel website and the AAA rates are higher and don't include any benefits. It's booked exclusively thru Xanterra - so in this instance I did get it all.

Really, I dont think what they are doing is wrong per-se but it definitely is a matter of perception and it's definitely not free - and unless you somehow have a deal where you are staying on points - you are paying for it some way some how - just like I'm paying for my vacation. For me nothing is free unless I'm paying absolutely $0 for it.

But if you book the PACKAGE with the free dining plan you ARE getting the dining plan for 0. There will be no added charge beyond your room rate and tickets.

Of course, your ALSO free to book the same ROOM at a % discount and then choose to add on other things AT FULL PRICE

Tiger926
05-21-2010, 05:37 AM
But if you book the PACKAGE with the free dining plan you ARE getting the dining plan for 0. There will be no added charge beyond your room rate and tickets.

Of course, your ALSO free to book the same ROOM at a % discount and then choose to add on other things AT FULL PRICE

I honestly don't think it matters how many times we all point out that the dining plan is free during free dining, people are not going to believe it as they have their own definitions of what free really means.

amshowers
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I recieved a free dining pin and dh recieved a 40% pin and the free dining suits our family much better. We only had to buy 1 day tickets with our free dining pin and free food for our family of 5 (4 being disney adults) is much better deal. I think it depends on where you want to stay, free dining, rack rate for a deluxe is not such a good value. Free food for a family of 5 staying at mod. for rack rate is a very good value.