PDA

View Full Version : Moving Out

avgeek81
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi. I'm think of moving down to eastern Florida. I have some friends down there and think need a change. The thing is i have always lived at home and i'm trying to come up with some kind of budget for what it will cost me per month so i can see if i an afford it. I can tranfer my job down there ad i can stay with my friend until i find a place. I take home about $400 a week ad i have about 20K in savings.

I plan on using some of my savings for the move down and deposits stocking up stuff in the apartment. This is what i have for expenses so far

Rent-i looked online and most of the places look to average around $700 a month i'd have to check them out when i get down there to see if they are decent.

Renters insurance- how much does this average, can i get a quote if i dont have a place yet

Car insurance- my car isnt in my name but i can change it over. My car is about 15 yrs old and i have a good driveing record. when i had my old car i think it was less than $100 a month. Can get a quote if i dont have an adress down there or the car is not in my name?

Electric and other utilities- i have no idea how much this cost, whats the average for a one bedroom apartmet( some places have water included but i dont want to count on that)

Cable/internet- i was pricing online most look to be aroud $100 a month i really only care about internet because i plan on watching most shows online but it still seems pretty expensive for just internet if you dont have a phone line bundle

food/groceries-i'm guessing around $100 a month. im pretty cheap/frugal i mostly live on peanut butter/ jelly, mac and cheese, hot dogs, chicken breast and the like. i brown bag it to work every day. i sometimes eat out but probably will less when i move

Gas- i only spend aout $25 a month now but i dont know how far i will be from places so i'm thinking maybe $50/$75 i might get a bike to ride to close places.

What am i forgetting? Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance

MomToOne
05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Car maintenance and repairs - obviously, car repairs don't hit every month. But when they hit, they hit BIG. So save some each month just for that.

Phone - cell, or landline, or both

A Mickeyfan
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
renters insurance can be a high bill. I am a homeowner & homeowners insurance is crazy down here. I pay 3 times more than my aunt in NY pays.. she has a larger home & more land.. but Fl gets hurricanes so we pay dearly for that with insurance...

avgeek81
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm hoping not to spend all my savings so i should have that for car repairs and other emergencies. I get the car checked regualrly so it is in pretty good shape considering its age. but i know how repairs add up

I have a call phone but i only pay like $30 a month for pretty much unlitmited minutes/text since my bro works for verizon and i was planning on paying him for like 6 months ahead before i left becuae he uaually waits til i owe him like $200 to collect anyway. i dont need a landline but it seems to be cheaper to just get one in a bundle than pay seperate for internet

MomtoGKC
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
What area are you looking at? I just rented a new house in Boca Raton. I forget the exact amounts but renters insurance for something like $25,000 coverage was about $26/month through Geico.

ah1126
05-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I am in NWFL and we pay less than $300 a year in renters insurance.

malibuconlee
05-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Doing a real budget many people forget to put in items like insurance co-pays, clothing for yourself, gifts (Christmas, birthdays, weddings you are invited to).

sbsteel
05-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Don't forget the Target/Wal-Mart trips -- cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, DampRid, pet supplies (if it applies to you), birthday/graduation/sympathy/etc. cards, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, lightbulbs, etc. And those trips are always more than you plan on spending, lol

sbsteel
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Also, do you have furniture? Household necessities like vacuum, mop, dishes, pots/pans, silverware, etc?

Luvchefmic
05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
The electric/water/phone/internet will all depend on where you live....I live in the "country" my "city" is the provider for the water A town over they pay the county for water. My electric runs about $60 a month, that's because I run the a/c very little, and shut the water heater off most days (a tip the electric co told me about) friends in Orlando say their electric bills are running high hundreds...I have tv/internet/phone bundled for $115 month...the biggest expense (besides the move) will be the initial registering your car in FL....it will have to be in your name & insured in your name...FL charges a first time registrant in the state fee. If you do an internet search you will find a phone number for the "tag" office and can get info...I did alot of research and made a lot of long distance calls while still in NY before the move. Most importantly...you already have a job & can transfer to FL...I wouldn't advise ANYONE to just pack up and be unemployed and think they will be hired cold down here...not in this day & age with Florida's unemployment rate......Good Luck to You...when all is said & done we LOVE it here :goodvibes