PDA

View Full Version : car seats and rental cars

pigget74
05-18-2010, 10:36 AM
which companies offer to rent a car seat and which ones do you need to provide your own.

BrettS
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I believe that most or even all of the rental companies will allow you to rent a car seat. However, my sister has started bringing her own car seat whenever she travels now. She said that she had several bad experiences with several different rental companies where they provided old expired car seats that she didn't trust. The airlines don't charge you to check a car seat, so other than the hassle of dealing with it at the airport you won't pay extra for it and you'll know that you have a safe one for your kid.

amylynne01
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I also would never rent a car seat from a rental car place. You have no idea what the history of the seat is - if it's been in an accident, if it's expired, if it's been taken care of, or if it will even fit your child. Most definitely bring a car seat. Your children should ride in their car seat on the plane, so there is no reason why you wouldn't have one with you.

ssawka
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I believe that most or even all of the rental companies will allow you to rent a car seat. However, my sister has started bringing her own car seat whenever she travels now. She said that she had several bad experiences with several different rental companies where they provided old expired car seats that she didn't trust. The airlines don't charge you to check a car seat, so other than the hassle of dealing with it at the airport you won't pay extra for it and you'll know that you have a safe one for your kid.

Not to mention that renting car seats from rental companies is very expensive. We are renting a car at MCO in July, for a week. DD needs a booster seat, and the rental company wanted $60 for the week. We just bought a $13 booster seat from WalMart that we will be bringing down with us.

Tina
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Hertz will give you one free car seat if you have a AAA membership. I'm not sure if any others offer this, but its worth checking out.

Jessica14
05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't know how old your kids are, but we used the backless booster seats last time and will need to bring them again. We managed to get one into our suitcase and the other fit nicely in the overhead. The kids don't need one on the plane, but by law still need one in the car.
Jessica

mamaso
05-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Does the kids need those booster seats when you are on a tour bus for San Diego? :surfweb:

amylynne01
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Most airlines recommend that kids under 40lbs ride in a child restraint onboard. If your children ride in boosters, then they will use just the seat belt as the booster needs the lap/shoulder combo. To protect car seats from being thrown around, I would use them so they're always in your line of sight.

MichelleinMaine
05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
in addition to others' comments about price and appropriateness, I'll add that car seats are on request only from car companies, they aren't guarenteed. So if you get to the airport and the person prior did not return it on time, you are outta luck.

Far easier and safer to just bring your own.

cinmouse
05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
We have always brought our own, as the rates can be as high as $25 per day for a rental. We bought a carseat carrier bag at Toys R Us for about $25 dollars, it is great, we were able to use it to also pack extra diapers/toys when our son was younger...now that he uses a booster, we still use the bag and use the extra space for the stuff we buy on vacation.

IMO it is worth bring our own, even with the checked bag fee's some airlines charge...but if your child does not mind sitting in it, you can always use it on the plane in thier seat and then you have no checked bag fee. I woulh receommend the carseat carrier bag either way, as it helps with lugging it around.

MichelleinMaine
05-19-2010, 02:24 PM
IMO it is worth bring our own, even with the checked bag fee's some airlines charge...but if your child does not mind sitting in it, you can always use it on the plane in thier seat and then you have no checked bag fee. I woulh receommend the carseat carrier bag either way, as it helps with lugging it around.

I can't speak for all, but I know Delta does not charge baggage fee for car seat. We ended up carrying it/gate checking DD's booster seat, but it did not count towards our/her carry on alotment.