PDA

View Full Version : Does film in disposable cameras go "bad"?

englishteacha
05-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I found a waterproof disposable camera...that I think I bought about 9 years ago. Think it will still take pictures? Will the pictures come out? I forgot we had it for almost a decade! Now we're going on vacation and I would like to use it to take pictures at Typhoon Lagoon, but I'll be bummed if they don't come out.

bigdisneygroup
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
As far as I know disposable cameras come with an expiration date and the prints will come out grainy if you are much past the date.

Sadie22
05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I have used some old film several years past the date with okay results, but they weren't once-in-a-lifetime photos. If you have a local camera shop you could see what advice you get there.

MomRN
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I was wondering this same question... found a few disposable cameras that my grandma had that expired 1-2 yrs ago.

funkychunkymonkey
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Mine have made it about 2 years past the expration point.

weewuvvdisney
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Can't help you with your original question. We had used one before with great results.

We went down in Feb/March and brought our waterproof camera. We had great plans but Mother Nature didn't agreen with our plans.

It was so cold that the kids were in the pool once, just to say they made it in. They took about 4 pictures.

Hope we get to use up the film this summer. We don't have a pool so that doesn't help....

I think 10 years is a long time....

Hope you have a great trip!

alyssa810
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
My mom is the queen of CHEAP disposable cameras, and pays little to no attention to the expiration date of the film. That being said, most of her pictures come out crappy, especially indoor pictures. I believe she had a camera from 2000 (the pictures all had "happy new year 2000!" footers) that she finally finished in 2005, and the pictures were OK- most were outside shots though, so she does occasionally get some winners. I'd say if you already bought the camera, use it- you never know what might come out!

I think a brand name camera makes a difference too; she never gets Kodak, she always gets the $1.99 ones from the cheapo store!:confused3

becky1960
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, 35mm film does go bad after the expiration date. Photo labs keep their test strips in a Frig. I used to keep my film in the frezzer. Ran a photo lab a few years back..

englishteacha
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
To update: The expiration date on the camera was 2002! Ack! I think I'll give it to the nephews to play with at the lake this summer and buy a new one if I decide to take pics at Typhoon Lagoon. DH says, "Why would we want to carry a camera at a waterpark??" I suppose he's right, though taking pictures of the shark snorkeling thing would be cool.

weewuvvdisney
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
We have some fun pictures from being in the pool. Goofy shots and stuff. Everytime we look at them, we have great big smiles and think back to our swimming in the pool. You don't have to use them only in the water. You can use them all over the water park (saves your regular camera from water damage).

Enjoy!

Heidi Loves Disney
05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Not sure if film in a disposable camera is the same as regular 35 mm film, but a couple of years ago I found a used roll of 35 mm film with 12 photos.
I took the chance and got it developed. It turned out to be 12 photos of my son as a toddler, and he's 16 now.

My dad took all my 35mm film I overbought for our 2004 trip. I think I bought like 20 rolls of film, but my camera broke the first day of our trip. He's still using the film and it still comes out fine. I'm not sure the expiration though.

seashoreCM
05-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Usually film doesn't go bad soon after it expires but ten years later would be questionable.

If the camera was left in a hot place like in a car out in the sun a lot, the film will go bad more quickly.

The film is the same as sold separately for non-disposable cameras.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

I dismantled a disposable camera once and inside was a roll of film, cartridge and all. Don't do this at home, I mean, don't dismantle the camera when it is not "finished" because the film is not protected by the cartridge at first and is gradually wound into the cartridge as you take pictures.

gr8leg8
05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
My parents are both photographers
and we always had lots of film in the freezer.

My friends always looked at me funny when we went looking for the ice cream.

Thanks for bringing back this memory. :rotfl2:

I finally got my mom to buy a digital a few years ago.
she loves it :love: