PDA

View Full Version : what's the going rate in your area for dog boarding?

abmitch01
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Just picked up the dogs. Sometimes that's the best part of the trip, their reaction to seeing us. It was $30 a day for 2 dogs kept in a shared kennel. $20 for one. Boy, that adds up when you figure my share of the rental house for 11 days was only $600. Guess it's one area you can't scrimp on.

Psychodisney
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Ours is $25/day for a large dog. I think a 20 minute walk is an extra $8, or 10 minutes of play time is $6. Then the grooming fee is about $50 when we pick him up. Definitely adds to the vacation budget!

starann
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Here our vet charges 21 a night a dog. They provide food (you can supply your own though), toys, blankets. They dogs are in a large kennel and then have 'grass time' at least 2x a day and if the vets office is slow, more. I have 2 dogs.

Plus each dog had to have the kennel cough vaccine as well as both had to have flu shots, which adds about another $100 to the total, as we usually dont board them so we dont get those things done!

Pembo
05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Our vet charges $15/day for a large dog. We are taking our puppy to a pet resort that charges $25/day and that includes food, 7 walks a day plus a bath if you stay more than 7 days.

amez
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Here the guy charges $10 a day-we have two large dogs that share a kennel and it's x2 so $20 a day. We supply our own food. They have a smallish outdoor run that attaches to each kennel that he can leave open for them all the timeor close off in too hot/cold weather (our dogs like being outside alot even in bad weather-feel like they have to protect the house and see what is going on I guess) He also has a large fenced in area that he lets them out and plays with them several times a day as well.
We're looking at over $200 for our next vacation, but atleast I know they are taken care of.

edited to add- we are definitely getting a good deal-and it's very close to our house when we pick up and drop off.

4Seasons
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
It's $25/day here at our local pet resort. A little less at the vet's but they don't have the attached outdoor runs like the pet resort does.

THANKFULLY at this point we have family who will take in our dog and take care of our birds and turtle when we go away. I'm more than happy to pay them the same amount to know they are in a loving home. My inlaws won't accept money so we always buy them something nice during our trip.

TheRatPack
05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
We have a local kennel that has outdoor covered runs, very nice roomy indoor kennels and it cost 18.00 per night for 1 dog and then 15.00 extra per dog sharing the same kennel. We have 3 small dogs (all around or under 10 pounds) so they all go in the same one...with plenty of room to spare. It's an extra 1.00 a day/per pet to have them feed our food to them.

Jenn4615
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Ours is 20 dollars per day per dog...and no discount for them being in the same cage:rolleyes: Of course my dogs are little and they like being together...
Luckily we have wonderful friends who usually take our dogs! Saves us ALOT of money!

alwaysmom
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Ours is $17 per day per dog includes food and treats. Our dogs (1 large & 1 small) will share but have time apart. It has a nice fenced in running area. I bring the larger dogs crate (it's his safe haven) and blanket and the little ones pillow. I do get charged a fee for them to give medicines if necessary. The cat stays home. A friend stops in to visit him.

es45
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Our vet charges $16/day for each of our dogs; they are medium-sized.

The kennels charge $27. Of course, you can pay even more and get pool time, spa time, or TV time...:rotfl:

Hanover
05-17-2010, 08:25 PM
We take our beagle to "Pet Paradise" for $20/day. She loves going there and doesn't even look back when we drop her off. We provide her food but they have raised dishes they use and bedding/toys for her. She has her own kennel with blinders on the side and her own dog run. She is walked and played with each day. She gets a 4 oz snack of our choice of meat/poultry and treats. They have radios that play for the dogs and even a shallow pet pool she could play in. The day we pick her up, they bathe her, cut her nails and put a cute little bow on her collar (bow ties for the male dogs). It gets super busy though so we have to book months in advance.

sunnyday123
05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok, I'm moving. To board my Newf it was $41 a day, with 2 walks and play time. I do know it was a little extra because she needed the large sized kennel. It was $3 for any extra walks, which they didn't charge me for, and they gave her a premium canned food when she wouldn't eat because she missed us. They also brought in a fan for her so she didn't get hot, so I guess it really wasn't bad when you consider all they did for her.

Debbie Jean
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Ok, I'm moving. To board my Newf it was $41 a day, with 2 walks and play time. I do know it was a little extra because she needed the large sized kennel. It was $3 for any extra walks, which they didn't charge me for, and they gave her a premium canned food when she wouldn't eat because she missed us. They also brought in a fan for her so she didn't get hot, so I guess it really wasn't bad when you consider all they did for her.

I was thinking the same thing! :lmao:

I pay $42.95/day to board my tibetan spaniel at the vet in northern NJ :scared1:... premium pet food, 4 walks a day, AC, music and lots of attention... Happy, my little fur baby, loves going to "doggie camp" :cloud9:, though, so I guess it is worth it. She has a special bag that I pack and when I get it out, she starts jumping around, barking like crazy then runs for the door! :rotfl:

She's had some health problems :sad2: so knowing that she is getting good care really gives me peace of mind if I go away. :goodvibes

pixiewings71
05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
We have 2 dogs we board, they charge us $30 for a shared kennel, the dogs get play time out in the yard and they are spoiled rotten while they are with Tina and crew. WE could board them for less but we trust Tina and her gang with our fur babies so we pay it. :) We have a week in Vegas coming up, we hate paying that boarding fee when we get back but we love seeing the dogs so happy when we get back. :)

cjnix29
05-17-2010, 09:02 PM
We are going to check out a kennel we hopefully can keep our dog in this summer while we are on vacation. It's $18 a day, includes food, for our 50 pound dog. We, like a PP has said, have hesitated because of the vaccination requirements, and vet fees, to find one. But it's time! Grandma can only watch her grand puppy for so long! ;) We have found them as expensive as $30 a day for one dog.

ljcrochet
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I try not to think about what it cost to board my english springer spaniel. I think it is $25 a day plus $19 for her to play all day with other dogs. They supply the food. She loves it there, but if MIL is not traveling with us she dog sits for us.

gymstx
05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
My boarding place charges $16 dollars a night. You can drop off and pick up pretty much at any time, you are only charged per overnight. The lady there is great, she keeps notes on every dog and journals every day. Then when you pick up your dog, she gives you the journal. If you have 2 dogs and they want to share a kennel, the 2nd dog charge is $8. She walks the dogs, even though they get to go outside and play in the yard. They get treats, and they are spoiled. I am so thankful we found her!!!

Sam's_Mom
05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Our guy charges $15 for "doggy camp". He has air conditioned kennels with raised beds and a lounge area with dog movies playing. They are walked several times a day and have a "campfire" outing every day or so. He takes pictures of her "vacation" so we can see what she has done.

ncmickeyluvr
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
We pay $20 a day each for 2 shih tzus.....in the same cage. They take them outside to a grassy area to go to the bathroom and exercise a bit 3 or 4 times a day. There's another place closer to my house but they keep them in a concrete kennel and expect them to go to the bathroom on the concrete. My dogs will give themselves UTI's trying to hold it until they get on grass, so I'll pay more for the other place.

disneycruising
05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Here in Northern California, it cost me $50 a day to board our Yorkie.

daisy2jae
05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
We pay $18.00 a day large kennel even though we have a small dog. It's indoors and has it's own control temp for the kennel. That way the kennel is set to the temp she's use to at home. They walk her 4-5 times a day. Plus the staff plays with her through out the day. We bring our own food. Plus it's at our vet so if anything goes wrong Dr Erin is right there. We live in a town of 14,000 people but drive 45 minutes to our vet who is in a town of 3,600 people. We couldn't ask for a better vet. She even does house calls for ER issues and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. We can call her anytime something happens. I would even pay more but she only charges $18.00 a day. Not bad when I know she's taken well care of.

angwill
05-18-2010, 12:25 AM
I love our vet who charges $6 day per dog for a large kennel with nice big runs they go out in daily. We can use their food or bring out own. My dogs love it so much there they have to go say goodbye to the lady who takes care of them before I can get them out the door to go home. I live in the middle of nowhere though and the vet has an office and kennel in a seperate buidling out in back of his house. He charges close to nothing for vet services compared to others I have seen on the boards too.

disfan07
05-18-2010, 12:30 AM
$25/night per dog. We have 2 dogs so $50/night.

For our upcoming trip in july we are paying $550 for just the dogs (they are going to be there for 11 nights)

Mom2apirate&princess
05-18-2010, 12:34 AM
My vet boards my dog for $9.80 a night plus a one time well check fee of $13. It's pretty reasonable. We supply the food and treats.

2mickeys1minnie
05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Our vet charges $28 per day each to board them. There is an extra fee for 30 minutes of playtime per day. This will be the first time I am leaving them at the vet as my sister usually takes them but she is traveling with us this time. I am a nervous wreck! I hope they are ok while we are gone.

MickeyHereWeCome!
05-18-2010, 07:21 AM
I run a dog sitting business out of my home. The dogs basically join our family during their stay...no kennels or limitations of outdoor or play time. I charge $22 per dog, per night. Multi dog families pay $20 per dog. My clients provide the food.

Yes, it definitely does add up. We have three dogs of our own. I am very relieved that my aunt has volunteered to watch our dogs for our Disney trip and our Texas trip this summer. That would have been about $700 for those two trips....yikes:eek:

bettymae1121
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Last I looked it was $18 a night for one dog, food included. But they have add-ons like doggie daycare (they take all the dogs who's owners paid for it and they can play together while supervised by staff) and you can have the groomed on the day you pick them up so they don't smell like a dog kennel. I think I usually spend about $250 or so for a week, as I'll add in the grooming and a few days of doggie daycare. But I love the kennel, it's a part of a 24 hour emergency vet clinic so I know if my fur baby gets ill, help is right there. Plus I can trust them to take good care of her in the first place.

My last trip, I paid a friend of mine half what the kennel would cost to house/pet sit for a week, and that worked out even better. I saved money, Missy didn't have the stress of being at the kennel (as nice as it is, she doesn't like it) and my friend got away from her mom for a week while earning some extra money (my friend lives at home with her mother while she is job hunting).

robinb
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Just picked up the dogs. Sometimes that's the best part of the trip, their reaction to seeing us. It was $30 a day for 2 dogs kept in a shared kennel. $20 for one. Boy, that adds up when you figure my share of the rental house for 11 days was only $600. Guess it's one area you can't scrimp on.About $20 a day for 1 dog and that includes doggie playtime with the pack.

$600 is a big chunk of change. Have you considered hiring a house sitter? Or maybe paying someone to take your dogs for the duration? I hire a friend to babysit my dog while we're gone. She likes my dog, she makes a little cash on the side and I pay less than if I had to kennel my dog. It's a win-win situation.

ssawka
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I think we pay $30-$35 a day for our Chessie (large dog about 90lbs). There is a pet resort near us that charges $60 a day. :scared1: Now that's crazy! I've stayed in some hotels for less than that! :lmao:

njsweetP
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
We pay between $35-45 a day depending on time of year. Privately owned kennel in backyard, skylights, big runs, and plenty of outdoor play time with other puppies!

punkin
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I think we pay $30-$35 a day for our Chessie (large dog about 90lbs). There is a pet resort near us that charges $60 a day. :scared1: Now that's crazy! I've stayed in some hotels for less than that! :lmao:

I often stay in hotels for less than that! We pay $35 per day for an English Springer.

Bunnyfeather
05-18-2010, 11:25 AM
If you have 2 or more dogs, look into a petsitter!

We pay $15/visit for someone to come to our house. We have 3 visits a day, but could do 2 if we wanted. She brings in our mail/paper and waters our plants and calls us if anything is amiss at the house. She loves on our 2 dogs and 1 cat and takes care of their needs. They don't have to leave their home.

Also, when we used to board one dog we found there were often 1 or 2whole extra days of fees because we had to drop off the day before if we had an early flight and we had to pick up the next day if we had a late flight back! With a petsitter, they stop coming as soon as you are home.

BellePrincessBelle
05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
$40 a day w/ your own food! We get ripped here.

ceecee
05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I toured 5 kennels before finding one I trusted. I pay $27 a night for two large dogs in a shared kennel (it's large and we get an extra bed). It's a 10,000 sq ft facility on 32 arces. It includes high quality food. It has a covered run as well as an open one so they can go out and play even if it rains. Green Beans and walks, play time, grooming is charged seperately. It has web cam too.

ExPirateShopGirl
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Our kennel is $14 a day regardless of the size of dog. Includes food even though we bring our own. Extra $1 per day if your dog needs 2 meals a day instead of just one. They will feed per your schedule. Includes 4 run around periods. No multi-dog discount. Dog must be fully vaccinated including bordatella. I love them!

TheRatPack
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Speaking of kennels....how many of your dogs don't eat when you get them back home? The first year or so we left ours at the kennel they did fine, the following year our Dachshund wouldn't eat for a few days when we got her back home. And anyone that has a Dachshund knows they like to eat LOL

She would sniff her food but not eat it....and I wondered if maybe they accidentally gave her the kennel food all week and she was scoffing at her regular food (even though we pay extra to have her fed her regular food since it's healthier for her). I'm so nervous about leaving her again this year....we took her on vacation with us for YEARS and just the past 3 years have we began leaving them in a kennel when we vacation. Oh and she's 10 years old....so maybe just something older dogs do?

mom2val
05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
We board through our vet and pay $25 a day for our lab. When we had 2 dogs and they shared large kennel it was still $25 each.

kellia
05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
$25/day, bring your own food.

Really stops us from going anywhere for just the weekend. Even just a weekend camping adds $125 by the time we have to drop her off Friday morning on the way to work (they close at 5pm before we could get home and get her there) and can't get her until Monday after work. So, that ends up counting as 5 days!

a1tinkfans
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
i PAY 21.50 A DAY.
He is in his own area, air conditioned/heat, runs and fed their foods (sci diet) or you can bring own. ANy med 1 extra a day. No blankets or toys allowed :(

We get a quickie bath upon pickup, 25. and then I wash him with my natural stuff (I want him a little clean before I take him in the house :lmao:)

I think its a good deal, I mean leaving the vehicle at the airport is $$$ :eek: and you get nothing for that

MarthaJr.
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Just thought I'd add my experience here in Wisconsin. We've used the vet with pretty good success at $25/per dog per day--even if sharing indoor heated/cooled kennel space with your own food + treats and they take them out into a grassy yard 3 times a day for 15 min. (We have 2 small schnoodles.) Dogs must have all standard vaccines + bordatella which I think is good--then you know the other dogs are unlikely to pass anything to your dogs. However, if you want doggie day care style play time add $20 per dog per day or $3 per extra 15 min. of "playtime".

One dog doesn't seemed fazed by the whole kennel experience while the other (who is generally nervous anyway) doesn't eat well while we're gone.

We tried a "pet resort" last year for roughly the same price and were very unhappy with how the dogs were returned to us. (My dad had picked them up as we had a flight later than their pick up hours.) They both had dried feces caked on them which clearly had been there for some time. This led me to believe that they were upset while at the so-called resort and clearly were not given appropriate attention. Needless to say we will never return.

Actually, tomorrow I am going to check out another "pet lodge" which looks really nice and comes highly recommended by a co-worker. It is an open concept type place where the dogs can be with other dogs. They do an assessment to figure out each dog's ability to appropriately interact with other dogs. Their fees are $34/day for both dogs. Unlimited playtime and interaction with people and their own "room" for when they are indoors. I really hope this is the place for us.

FYI-We did go away this weekend and had a neighbor kid ($50)come by several times a day. The dogs did seem to do quite well with minimal potty accidents and no property damage. I just don't think this would work well for 7 nights as they are used to plenty of attention and I don't think the neighbor kid could make that kind of commitment to this relationship. LOL!

DisneyLover83
05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
We pay $27 per day at a free range kennel (no cages) or $25 per day at the vet.

locolala
05-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I know the resort you speak of, and the 60 is the absolute cheapest it goes! For their luxury kennel it's 110 a night, and that include 4 walks, 2 playtimes, a window.. and a TV. Yeah, it's all crazy. This is why I like having cats. We pay DH's friend 40 bucks and he'll come over and stay at our house for an hour or so a day to play with them and feed them. 40 bucks covers one week! He even does the litterbox lol.