PDA

View Full Version : what's your budget weakness?

abmitch01
05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
If left to your own devices or had extra $ to spend on yourself, what would you habitually choose?

Mine is purses. I love new bags, not necessarily pricey but really soft leather or one that is the perfect size. My souvenir from Disney was a $120 Coach tote from the outlet. Not a planned purchase but that back of the room clearance wall combined with a 20% off coupon convinced me. That was way more than I usually spend. Shoes and clothes don't really do it for me, give me a purse anyday.

lakelandcallsme
05-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Really really good chocolate (it can get pricey) and expensive moisturizer. These are rare and special treats!

LisaInNc
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
For me it's purses too. I alllow myself one drop dead pricy bag a year. It's a good splurge because I will get a lot of use out of that purse since I will carry it most days in that season.

Lisa

disneydreamer98
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Disney bags and purses!!! I have enough to supply all the members of the DIS with at least one! :rotfl2:

disneydreamer98
05-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Disney bags and purses!!! I have enough to supply all the members of the DIS with at least one! :rotfl2:

Oh....and did I happen to mention jewelry and watches? :rolleyes1

JandJ
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
shoes, clothes, and scrapbooking supplies - definitely my weaknesses!

ssawka
05-17-2010, 04:12 PM
gadgets, gadgets, gadgets! Any kind of electronic gadget.

bridget
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
shoes are my weakness :)

How did you get a 20% off at the outlet? I am going at the beginning of June, and I saved my birthday money from my parents and mil and then I got a check from PTO for teacher appreciation week (so it makes it okay) :)

abmitch01
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
they handed them out at the door. I think they do that fairly often, I've gotten other ones that way, lol

I like gadgets a bit but I'm usually behind. When my brother has raved about a gadget that "will change your life" for about 3 yrs, then I'll jump on the bandwagon. like tivo, that was a good one

jennyopenny
05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Clothes from White House, Black Market. I only shop there about one time a year, but :cheer2: that store makes me CRAZY HAPPY!

Kate and Pete
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Fabric!! I'm a sucker for a piece of cotton!! :rotfl:

abmitch01
05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
you'd think I'd spent $2000 the way my mother kept telling my DD how good mommy budgets the money, works hard and saves up for special treats now and then. My DD sighs and goes, "I know, I know- coupons. She probably got me with a coupon." :rolleyes:

Virgderon
05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
This sounds silly, but it would be Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper. I don't drink coffee, so I get my caffeine by drinking soda. If I have no soda, I will buy it whether it is on sale or not.

mrsklamc
05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Isn't it obvious? Disney!:lmao:

Shreggor
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Travel.

Jennifer in MI
05-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Travel!

Handbag Lady
05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Weekend trips
Handbags
Jewelry
Good skincare

Oh, for the Coach person who asked about the 20% off coupon...they do sometimes hand them out at the door, but just Google "Coach Outlet Coupon" and usually the first one up is a coupon you can print. This is almost always for 20% off of your total purchase, even after the 40% off clearance and such.

hlkeck
05-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Iced Coffee from McDonalds. I could go to Disney an extra trip a year if I could cut out those coffees.

TammyAlphabet
05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Cruising.

englishteacha
05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
My vacations. Even though I travel frugally, it would still be cheaper to stay home. :)

DH insists on real sodas, no generics, and we both agree that real Oreos are far superior to any store brand knock offs.

Disney845
05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Random day to day would definitely have to be books. I would buy just about every new book that came out in the genres I like to read given the money to do so. I am a total book snob. I like to "own" my books, not borrow them from the library (novels that is, research books of any kind are fine to borrow). I actually prefer paperback to hardcover due to storage limitations and I am fastidious about spine cracks, wrinkled covers/pages, etc.

I have been really good lately...but I think that has more to do with the fact that a Walden Books closed down earlier this year and I bought a ton of books (imagine SO standing there with books piled high in his arms and the clerks were laughing at him [good naturedly] for being my shopping cart) at great discounts and have been living off those for several months.

As we are currently on a "budget" my blow money most often goes to books.

tinkarooni
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Outfits. Love the shoes, love the bag, love the whole thing! I have become obsessed with "What Not To Wear" :happytv: when I realized that I dressed like a middle aged frump (I'm only 38 but think I'm going through my midlife crisis :rotfl:) I started exercising, lost a couple of dress sizes and it has been straight downhill from there. I can't just buy pants, I need to buy the shirt, the cardigan, the accessories....AHHHHHHHHHH.

But I have a great looking wardrobe and can be ready in minutes time for just about every occasion short of tea with the queen.princess:

CourtasanSatine
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Movie tickets

MANDY48449
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
PURSES WOULD BE MY DOWNFALL TOO:cool1:

beachbunny
05-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Travel, designer shoes and handbags, and jewelry are total budget busters for me.

HM
05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Books

ajh88
05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Shoes.

I can often find shoes on clearance, but recently, since I have to stand and walk so much for work, I have to invest more money in fewer pairs. It was really hard to buy that first pair of $100 shoes, but my feet thank me for it. They also last longer, but it is still not easy to drop that money for ONE pair.

RadioFanatic
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Eating out or delivery bc I'm just so darn tired after a day of work and travel (especial WDW of course!)

garydeb
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Disney and Diet Coke!!!!!
:thumbsup2

TexasTom
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
sushi buffet for $25.

sydneysmom
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
my weakness used to be Joan and David shoes until I got divorced and had to buckle down on everything.....then I got married again and got a beautiful little step daughter (4). My DH would agree, my weakness is buying little clothes for her. It's SOOOOOOOO addicting !! :confused3 and I often get shut off !! :rotfl2: Maybe I should go back to shoes!!!

Arielle22
05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Random day to day would definitely have to be books. I would buy just about every new book that came out in the genres I like to read given the money to do so. I am a total book snob. I like to "own" my books, not borrow them from the library (novels that is, research books of any kind are fine to borrow). I actually prefer paperback to hardcover due to storage limitations and I am fastidious about spine cracks, wrinkled covers/pages, etc.

I have been really good lately...but I think that has more to do with the fact that a Walden Books closed down earlier this year and I bought a ton of books (imagine SO standing there with books piled high in his arms and the clerks were laughing at him [good naturedly] for being my shopping cart) at great discounts and have been living off those for several months.

As we are currently on a "budget" my blow money most often goes to books.

Books are my downfall as well. DH got me a Kindle in Nov for my birthday and I was so happy! This morning I turned it on and there was a book I had pre-ordered. It came out today and I could read it on the train. Now I don't have to worry about running out of places to store my books!

Jess6001
05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
disney, cloth shopping and nice resturants! :thumbsup2

goofyisinphilly
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Books, yarn and scrapbook supplies. It depends on the day and the hobby for the week.

Priorityonecb
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Small weakness: Books, I would love to have a room dedicated to wall to wall books and the most comfy chair on the planet to read them.

Large weakness: Travel

Luvchefmic
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
as a big collector of Lady & The Tramp items and only if money was no object (like the Publishers Clearing House Van pulled up :goodvibes) I would get the set I have been drooling over for years, long out of production and sometimes found on eBay (for about $900) WDCC Lady & The Tramp's BELLA NOTTE SET & BASE .........someday (sigh)

superme80
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Good organic food. Especially if its vegan. I could easily drop $50 at Whole Foods without even trying. If I had the chance I would just love to shop there every day!!!! I love me some whole foods! :love:

DisneyCrafter
05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't even need to think twice before I say traveling.

polkadotminnie
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
vacations and camera equipment:thumbsup2

CC12005
05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Ok, since no one here know me I'll confess (although, my friends already know these are my addictions). My two big budget busters are travel and my kids birthday party. Yes, the latter is an unusal budget buster. What I spend on my kids birthday parties would send my family to Disney World every year at a moderate resort from the West Coast. But they (my preschoolers) & I really enjoy the party. It's a great chance to get together & share a wonderful day with friends & family. My splurges are for all those things others consider a waste at a party. Unique keepsake favors, a photographer & videographer to document everything and of course a fabulous cake. Yes, I could save money & just take my kids to Disneyland to have their silhouettes done, but I love to share by bringing the artist to the party so everyone can enjoy.

crisi
05-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Good food and wine - including the aforementioned chocolate.

lttlmc3
05-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Dinners out! I'm a huuuuuuge sushi lover!

KelleyGirl
05-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Salon hair products (I'm a sucker for a new product line :laughing:)
Dunkins Iced Coffee
Shoes

AndreaDM
05-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Big splurge - Travel for sure, we take anywhere from 3-6 trips a year (1 or 2 big ones and several long weekend trips)

Little splurges - wine and books

DH is so happy I'm not a crazed jewelry/clothing woman. He knows if he bought me a pricey piece of jewelry I'd promptly make him return it so I could use the $$ to book our next trip.

mlulrich
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
going to the movies, travel and the GIANT Suburban in our driveway (but with 4 growing boys, we decided to bite the bullet and we haven't regretted it at all!)

An_Island_Girl
05-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Although I would surely say vacations... I just found out I'm going to be a grandmother!!!
We don't know the sex yet, but once we do, I'm sure I'll go overboard on baby shopping!

DisneyFan32WI
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
In no particular order:

1. Travel
2. Restaurants
3. Beauty Salon

abmitch01
05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
congrats on the grandbaby!

it makes me feel better to know everyone has a weakness for something

luvdisney00
05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Disney and bags..not just purses but all kinds of bags, tote bags make up bags wallets etc...I especially love Vera Bradley stuff and coach. I have been eyeing the D&B Mickey bags, but if VB ever came out w/ a Disney pattern I'd HAVE to have it!

abmitch01
05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I just ordered my first VB after seeing about the recent sale on this site. I used to think I didn't like them until I looked at all the patterns avail. At least, the prices on sale are reasonable.

I love wallets, totes, all that stuff, too.

At Disney, I saw these adorable bags the UKers had, Radley bags. Now I have to have one of those. It might be a good thing that I keep being outbid on ebay, they are way too expensive.

ReneeA
05-19-2010, 04:10 PM
When we lived on one income, we had very few splurges. Now, I buy myself Iced coffee from Tim Horton's everyday. We also plan to get back to taking a 10 day vacation every year. :cool1:

Fall1
05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Mine is kids clothes, I can't resist the cuteness!

bnhasak
05-19-2010, 04:53 PM
We are huge Dairy Queen addicts. Once it opens around Easter we are there almost every other night to get a small chocolate with chocolate sprinkles. Just so yummy after a long day and just screams summer.

When DQ is closed I'd have to say magazines though I get most of my subscriptions free thanks to the budget board all these years. :rotfl2:

So really I would have to say our annual Disney trips.

Melmac
05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
My splurges have already been mentioned:
- Travel. (we try and do 2 trips a year, one of which is to Disney)
- Books. Even though I used to work at a library (or maybe it is because I worked at a library), I like to have my own books. I think for my birthday this year, I will ask for a Kindle.
- Movies. I like to own a lot of movies (we have over 300) and it has only gotten worse since the release of Blu-Ray. We also rent a lot of movies.

mrodgers
05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
My hobbies. Not really a budget buster because I can't buy the stuff for my hobbies because it is too expensive. It's just I've started into the hobbies in the past and left them because of needing new equipment for them.

My first hobby I got into was RC airplane flying. Bought a cheap "beginner" plane and flew it for 2 years. I crashed it hundreds of times and it was really robust. It finally died on me with a harsh nosedive into the ground. I still am interested in the hobby, but need to move beyond the cheapie beginner plane and that will cost several hundred which I don't have. Hobby is sitting on hold.

Next, photography. I needed a new camera and when researching models online, I ended up reading more about photography than cameras. Thus, I skipped the pocket cam idea and went with a fuller body superzoom with full manual function. I learned what I could and outgrew the camera quite rapidly. Unfortunately, I need to upgrade myself to a DSLR, but they are just too darn expensive. A "beginner" DSLR isn't going to get me much more than I already have, along with I know what I want and a "beginner" isn't going to give it too me. So, I'd be looking into about $1000 for my Nikon D90 and lenses that I want. I don't have $500 to spend on my RC hobby, I sure don't have $1000 to spend on a camera. Hobby is sitting on hold.

My current hobby, guitar. Wifey bought me a cheapie acoustic guitar way back in 2005. I've always been interested in guitar, and electric is what I'm interested in, not acoustic. I played around with that acoustic for 5 years but didn't learn anything. Wifey went back to work after the youngest started school and wanted to have a nice Christmas. We've gone 9 years of not doing much for Christmas. So, she splurged on me and bought me my electric guitar. Spent $300 on the guitar and amp. A $200 electric guitar is still a cheapie, but it turned out to be a dang nice guitar. I love it. I've learned more the past 6 months since Christmas than I had in 5 years with the acoustic.

The nice thing about this guitar I have is, it's an inexpensive guitar and not just a cheapie. It is very nice and I absolutely love it. I'm not looking for anything more or better or upgraded like I am for the other 2 hobbies. You can get into thousands and thousands worth of equipment with the guitar, but I am perfectly happy with the one I have. In the future, I'm sure I'll get into more stuff with it, I'll be "needing" some effects pedals and such, but now we both work, we are going to Disneyworld which 15 months ago we were wondering how to pay the two housepayments that were due and never even thought we'd be able to go on vacation. Heck, we have a 9 and 6 year old, have been married for 13 years, and this Disney trip this year will be our honeymoon.

DawnM
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Gadgets!

Computers
Programs for the computer
Cameras and camera accessories (lenses, etc....)

2005s4
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I used to dine out 4-5 nights/week.. but have cut back to 1-2x. A great meal cannot be replaced...

DisneyFan32WI
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
IF there was a TCBY in Wisconsin, THAT would be my weakness. We used to have one a few years back, and I would spend $5 a day on this deliciousness. ;)

Sagginit
05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
1. dining out, i cant force myself to be frugal and order a cheap dish with water. last time i ordered a $10 glass of wine and drank half and then was sooo mad at myself for doing that.
2. nyc. i live in NJ and took three expensive day trips in less than 6 weeks. im staying out for a while since the last time i went in it cost me $200.
3. travel. i booked a trip to disney as a cheap vacation, i wanted to go to europe which would have been four times the cost.

im starting to feel like you can teach the girl to use a coupon but you cant teach her not to spend that saved money. :confused3

Sarah_Rose
05-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Running gear! Particularly running skirts - I'm a sucker for a skirt in a cute print!

Also, pet supplies. I spoil my dogs way too much with new toys and treats. :love:

tomthebarncat
05-20-2010, 03:38 AM
good coffee, wonderful fragrences and of course handmade Italian leather shoes! I have an extensive handbag collection, so I am ok there!

PinkRhombus
05-20-2010, 08:03 AM
gadgets, gadgets, gadgets! Any kind of electronic gadget.

Me, too. I am such a nerd.

Other than that, I love LOVE to go look through Goodwill stores.