PDA

View Full Version : Found insurer who will cover volcanic ash...

pinkhart
05-17-2010, 01:39 PM
and will sell single trip policies for next year so I could get my policy now! :cool1:
The company is direct travel, see http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

2Tiggies
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
..... and so many folk on here are going to be loving you for this! :)

I am going to have a look at their website. (I need to check what the rest of the cover is like too ;))

joolz1910
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
There is also 14% cashback on Quidco with this company!:goodvibes

2Tiggies
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
There is also 14% cashback on Quidco with this company!:goodvibes

Ooooh!! :worship:

The more expensive option, which is still about the cheapest insurance I would ever have taken out if I go with it, looks fairly good. I need to compare it to the ones I have used in the past and see how it fares but thanks for the heads up on the quidco site. :thumbsup2

I just wondered though, they say they cover volcanic ash claims but isn't that for existing policy holders making a claim? They don't specifically say that you are covered for this with a new policy. :confused3

pinkhart
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I just wondered though, they say they cover volcanic ash claims but isn't that for existing policy holders making a claim? They don't specifically say that you are covered for this with a new policy. :confused3

No, my DH spoke to them on the phone (we had pre-existing medical conditions to include) and it is definitely for new policies too.

2Tiggies
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
No, my DH spoke to them on the phone (we had pre-existing medical conditions to include) and it is definitely for new policies too.

You're a gem! :goodvibes Tell your DH thanks - he just saved me a phone call. ;)

gibbo01
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
We have used them for the last 6 years or so.
We have also claimed twice during that time, all be it for minor things, and they have been superb in every aspect.
I would reccomend them without a thought. :yay:

2Tiggies
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Topcashback.co.uk is offering 17.5% ;)

The Premier Plus cover looks good to me at half the price of the AXA Gold I took last year and similar cover.

2Tiggies
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Having read through all their print, can anyone see whether the family cover limits are per person insured or per family? It is just me and my 8 year old daughter so where they say, for example, up to 3000 personal possessions cover(I just picked anything as a random example), is that per person or for the two of us together?

pinkhart
05-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Having read through all their print, can anyone see whether the family cover limits are per person insured or per family? It is just me and my 8 year old daughter so where they say, for example, up to 3000 personal possessions cover(I just picked anything as a random example), is that per person or for the two of us together?

On the website on the page it gives you to select your level of cover, if you click on the View Full Benefits link it definitely states benefits are per person. :goodvibes

squitty
05-18-2010, 02:18 AM
We've just renewed our policy with Direct Travel and were told that the cover for the volcanic ash was for exsiting customers only.

DH was also talking to them as he has pre exisiting medical conditions.

pinkhart
05-18-2010, 02:49 AM
We've just renewed our policy with Direct Travel and were told that the cover for the volcanic ash was for exsiting customers only.

DH was also talking to them as he has pre exisiting medical conditions.

:scared1: Not what I want to hear! They seemed very clear on the phone last night that we would be covered. I think we need to ring them again...

2Tiggies
05-18-2010, 04:50 AM
On the website on the page it gives you to select your level of cover, if you click on the View Full Benefits link it definitely states benefits are per person. :goodvibes

Thanks, I saw that. I just wondered if it applied to children as well since they go "free". There are usually reduced limits for minors on a policy for certain things, but they don't seem to say anything either way.

pinkhart
05-18-2010, 08:15 AM
:) Well, DH rang again this morning and they are DEFINITELY providing cover for new customers. They are treating each time the ash cloud covers the UK and causes disruption as separate events, rather than the eruption being one known event.

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I just emailed them to ask about their policy for ash cover for new customers - I like to get something in writing! I will post here when I get a response!

squitty
05-18-2010, 01:03 PM
:) Well, DH rang again this morning and they are DEFINITELY providing cover for new customers. They are treating each time the ash cloud covers the UK and causes disruption as separate events, rather than the eruption being one known event.

That's great news that they are doing it.:woohoo:

I got a letter first from Direct Travel stating that they were covering Ash etc, I did post on another forum to contact them to as we thought it was exsiting customers only. Someone rang them and they said it was for existing customers only. Then when we renewed they also said that it was for existing customers only.
They need to get facts right to all customers though.

maznorm
05-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Any news on the email reply from them?

Netty
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I was told it was up to the underwriters to decide whether they will pay out or not....
also just to add - I have used this company for a few years now and use the standard cover annual insurance

2Tiggies
05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I was told it was up to the underwriters to decide whether they will pay out or not....
also just to add - I have used this company for a few years now and use the standard cover annual insurance

Aren't there 3 levels of standard cover? (Sorry, I don't have the page open just now). I was looking at the premium option. Do you find the standard adequate for your needs? I mean if anything happened, would the maximum payout limit for any given clause be sufficient to fully cover your costs? I do apologise for the 20 questions, but it's nice to bounce it off someone who has been using it for a while. :goodvibes

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Any news on the email reply from them?

No, nothing . . . it said a response should come within 24 hours - its now 27!

2Tiggies
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
No, nothing . . . it said a response should come within 24 hours - its now 27!

Tick tock ....!

BTW, OT, but where have some of our tickers gone?

Netty
05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Aren't there 3 levels of standard cover? (Sorry, I don't have the page open just now). I was looking at the premium option. Do you find the standard adequate for your needs? I mean if anything happened, would the maximum payout limit for any given clause be sufficient to fully cover your costs? I do apologise for the 20 questions, but it's nice to bounce it off someone who has been using it for a while. :goodvibes

sorry thats what i meant=standard, premium, premium plus cover
yes standard is fine, 10,000,000 medical expenses cover is more than enough!

2Tiggies
05-20-2010, 05:43 AM
sorry thats what i meant=standard, premium, premium plus cover
yes standard is fine, 10,000,000 medical expenses cover is more than enough!

It was actually the baggage cover I was looking at as well as the cover for cancellation/abandonment, etc. It obviously depends how much you spend on each thing. The Standard would be fine for me if they email back and confirm that my DD gets the same cover level as I do as an adult - but otherwise I would rather spend an extra 10 or 20 and err on the side of caution.

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM
They never answered my email, so certainly won't be getting my business!

howlongtillsummer?
05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Just right too. If they won't answer a query how would they be during a claim :scared1:.

I will often email companies to check their attitude before I buy something, even an online purchase where I don't actually need to ask a question.

What terrible PR.

pinkhart
05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
To be fair, the auto email response warned that they were dealing with a large number of volcanic ash queries and wouldn't be able to respond as quickly as normal.
It has been a few days though...

2Tiggies
05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
To be fair, the auto email response warned that they were dealing with a large number of volcanic ash queries and wouldn't be able to respond as quickly as normal.
It has been a few days though...

If they were smart, they would have an automated follow up response after the 24 hour period when dealing with a high volume of queries, advising the same and giving assurance that a response will follow in due course. I suspect they are probably dealing with a large number of claims and an equally large number of queries based on the fact that they currently appear to be the only insurer offering vocanic ash cover to new customers. We'll see. :)

Netty
05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
They were quick enough to respond and pay out when we claimed for a delayed departure,
if you dont feel happy then go with another insurer, I have as i have said in previous posts, been a customer of theirs for a few yrs, so they get my money no probs. also when you have been with them for 1 yr and go to renew you get 10% off your renewal.:thumbsup2

torsie24
05-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Is 78 normal for a 3 week trip...?

Also looking at the benefits it looks like I'll need the 108 one!

That's more than our wedding insurance! :scared1:

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Is 78 normal for a 3 week trip...?

Also looking at the benefits it looks like I'll need the 108 one!

That's more than our wedding insurance! :scared1:

I'm trying to cast my mind back . . . we generally get annual insurance, and I think it usually comes in around 60-70. I have always booked with Aviva or Halifax (I never really trust these smaller internet companies that offer it dead cheap!!). I haven't got any quotes for this year yet, so I'm not sure what's going on with prices!

2Tiggies
05-22-2010, 11:16 AM
They were quick enough to respond and pay out when we claimed for a delayed departure,
if you dont feel happy then go with another insurer, I have as i have said in previous posts, been a customer of theirs for a few yrs, so they get my money no probs. also when you have been with them for 1 yr and go to renew you get 10% off your renewal.:thumbsup2

Actually I think they are looking pretty good. They are less than half the price of the usual policies I have used in the past (61 for 2 weeks on the highest level of cover for me and DD8). AXA is quoting 136 for the same trip and aside from one or two things that have higher cover, the rest is about the same. I am still going to wait for feedback and will probably go with them. Thanks for all your help and advice. :goodvibes

Netty
05-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually I think they are looking pretty good. They are less than half the price of the usual policies I have used in the past (61 for 2 weeks on the highest level of cover for me and DD8). AXA is quoting 136 for the same trip and aside from one or two things that have higher cover, the rest is about the same. I am still going to wait for feedback and will probably go with them. Thanks for all your help and advice. :goodvibes

your welcome! :goodvibes

Nommi
05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Does any one know whether this covers DIY holiday bookings? Its the first time I've booked things sepeartley and I'm still trying to get my head round it.

:confused:

pinkhart
05-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Does any one know whether this covers DIY holiday bookings? Its the first time I've booked things sepeartley and I'm still trying to get my head round it.

:confused:

Yes it does! But you should read the small print or ring and talk to them to make sure it's right for you.

eeyorefanuk
05-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Just in case they have just added this bit to their website

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/am-i-covered-for-travel-disruption-caused-by-the-icelandic-volcanic-ash-incident.aspx

Nommi
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes it does! But you should read the small print or ring and talk to them to make sure it's right for you.

Great stuff! Thanks so much! :thumbsup2

pandv_2000
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I e-mailed Direct Travel to get it in writing about the volcanic ash and finally got the following response: -

We can confirm that providing you are not aware of any circumstances that may cause you to cancel or cut short your trip and you are not aware of any problems with your flight at the time of paying for your travel insurance or booking your holiday then you would entitled to submit a claim under either section 7 Missed Departure or section 8 Delayed departure or abandonment of our policy wording subject to terms and conditions.

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I got the same email! May go ahead and book now . . .

Red-Snapper
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I e-mailed Direct Travel to get it in writing about the volcanic ash and finally got the following response: -

We can confirm that providing you are not aware of any circumstances that may cause you to cancel or cut short your trip and you are not aware of any problems with your flight at the time of paying for your travel insurance or booking your holiday then you would entitled to submit a claim under either section 7 Missed Departure or section 8 Delayed departure or abandonment of our policy wording subject to terms and conditions.

I am probably being over cautious but that email response is a typical Insurance reply. It does not specifically refer to the volcano and actually says "you are not awar of any circumstances that MAY cause you to cancel your trip"

Well - yes you ARE aware of some circumstances that MAY cause you to cancel your trip.

I am sure their intention IS to pay in respect of the volcano but with that statement they are very much leaving the door open in case they need it.

2Tiggies
05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I got the same email! May go ahead and book now . . .

I liked the report that they were quick and straightforward to pay out a claim. That is the ultimate test of any insurer, no matter how good your cover is.

Katies Dad
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Columbus direct offer an add on to their policy `Emergency Travel Upgrade` to cover unforseen circumstances preventing teturn home - they have added this because of the volcanic ash.

Also saw yesterday that Aviva are adding `ash cover` as an add on to their policies from 1st June.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/may/23/volcanic-ash-travel-insurance

Both seem to offer ok cover (I think but don`t really know much about insurance and havn`t heard much about Aviva - hear the name columbus a lot more)

I`m assuming this would be as well as Travel Delay already included.

Does anyone know anything about either?:confused: we still havn`t sorted our insurance for August

Thanks

2Tiggies
05-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I always look at the maximum level of cover for everything listed in the policy. You need to be sure that it is adequate to cover your needs in that area should anything go wrong. So if your flights cost you 500 each, then a cover level of 400 isn't going to cut it for me. Similarly, to give an example, I do a fair bit of shopping out there. So a 500 luggage cover is also pointless. It really depends on your needs.

Most decent policies will cover you to some extent for delays anyway. However they usually kick in with compensation after a minimum amount of time, say 12 hours for example, and then pay out at regular intervals at a set amount up to the limit offered. You also need to check thing like abandonment/cancellation and make sure that you have adequate cover. It is such a personal thing and varies widely. I have in the past had the habit of over insuring myself, although I am fully aware that you can only claim for your actual losses. I look at it this way: I am spending several thousand on a trip, so why would I compromise on my insurance to save 20?! Now somewhere between lies a happy balance and it is just a case of finding the right one for you. I see plenty adverts on tv for Aviva. They have been around for a while but I don't know anyone who has used them so can't report on this. You need to feel comfortable with your choice though and if you are the kind of person who sticks to trusted brands, then stay with a provider that is familiar to you in some way.

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
05-28-2010, 03:36 AM
I made a claim with Aviva (back when they were Norwich Union!) a few years ago. They were great, paid up immediately. I normally still insure with them because of that.

Red-Snapper
05-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Both seem to offer ok cover (I think but don`t really know much about insurance and havn`t heard much about Aviva - hear the name columbus a lot more)

Aviva = new name for Norwich Union i.e this country's biggest Insurer.

Columbus = not an Insurer, they are a broker. Their cover is provided by an Insurer I have never heard of (probably some Lloyds Syndicate)
and you need too look hard to even find that mentioned.

Go with Aviva.

Scrap_Vamp
05-30-2010, 02:42 PM
We got a reasonable quote from Aviva for annual travel insurance so we are going to wait another couple of days and book with the add on for emergency cover - read about it on Martin Lewis' website, and it is one that is recommended.

We have other insurance with Aviva too, so we trust them!

eeyorefanuk
05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
We got a reasonable quote from Aviva for annual travel insurance so we are going to wait another couple of days and book with the add on for emergency cover - read about it on Martin Lewis' website, and it is one that is recommended.

We have other insurance with Aviva too, so we trust them!

what is the add on for emergency cover??

Scrap_Vamp
05-30-2010, 05:20 PM
It's the one mentioned earlier in this thread - for volcano cover :)

Katies Dad
05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies, never thought of Columbus just being a broker I assumed they were an insurance company. Am going to get quote thru Aviva as the `emergency cover` is available from tomorrow.

Please does anyone know - if you have this emergency cover - can you claim for travel delay as well (hopefully it won`t be needed) as you can on the Columbus one.

Thanks, its all so confusing..