PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get rid of their cleaning people/person ~ was it manageable?

Anjelica
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Ok - so my husband has proposed we cancel our cleaning people. A few years ago I would have said no but recently I am open to the idea. We don't need to do it for financial reason at all but my husband likes to save money (I'm the spender) and he's making a case we can do it ourselves (which we can).

For those that have canceled their cleaning people/person - did you find it maneagable transitioning back into cleaning yourself? One of the benefits we had with cleaning people/person was that we got to spend more time as a family out and about doing things together (i.e. going to the park, swimming pool) so I am a bit worried that we won't have as much time to do those things. (Both my husband and I have full time jobs).

luvmy3jewels
05-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Last year, our cleaning lady got rid of us (she was having back problems and our house was too big for her to clean). I've been putting off hiring a new person, but am planning on trying to find someone this summer. Honestly, I really miss having the convenience of coming home from work to a clean house. Dh and I are very busy with work and our kids, and we don't really make the time that we need to in order for it to stay as clean as it should be. To us, it is worth the money every month to have someone come and do it for us!!

tink_lover
05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, we stopped our cleaning crew (2 young women) around the end of the year last year. I thought that all of us could handle it. What I found is that we spend so much time just doing the basic stuff that they were doing, that all the other stuff didn't get done - the deeper cleaning like wiping doors, baseboards, tops of door frames, window frames, cleaning out closets, refrigerator, etc. We have a large house and it is just taking too long to do the basics. For that reason, I'm going to find someone again. They can do the basic stuff and that leaves us to spend some time doing the "other" stuff. I work full time and travel during the week and really don't want to spend my free time over the weekend cleaning. Yesterday, on our first really nice day in a long time, I had to be inside from 10-3 just doing the basic - bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, laundry. YUK!

Crystal824
05-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't have a cleaning person. I would like to get one someday. I don't have any kids yet, but I will tell you that DH and I both work full-time professional jobs. We don't do too much cleaning during the week becuase by the time we get home and have dinner, it is time to go to bed. Our entire weekend is really spent cleaning, laundry, doing yardwork, and running errands. We often complain that we don't spend much quality time together because by the time we take care of all of that stuff, there is no time left. Really, it is up to you. I think you will find that doing those things yourself takes alot more time than you remembered.

We have a baby on the way, I hope to get a cleaning service within the next couple of years.

PlaneJoy1
05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
When I left corporate and took a pay cut to become a teacher the one thing that my husband said we could not reduce in the budget was our cleaning lady! He knew how stressed out I would get because I would not be able to keep up the house myself the way I wanted it.

If you can afford it - I would keep it. It really does free you up to do other things!

thebeesknees
05-17-2010, 11:41 AM
If you are sure you want to do it yourself, I'd recommend going to the FlyLady website. She has a rotating schedule that allows you to do things in 15-minute chunks, and still get the major and minor cleaning projects done over the course of a month. It does take some getting used to, but it has been a great help to me. I sometimes feel like my kids follow me around all day messing up what I have just cleaned, but this system has allowed me to keep everything presentable and to have people drop in on short notice and not be embarrassed about the state of my house.

That said, if DH would pay for a cleaning lady, I'd take him up on the offer in half a second!

vsimeone
05-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I got laid off from my job in May of 2008. The first thing we cancelled was the cleaning service. I was out of work all summer so I was able to keep up with the cleaning (but hated every minute of it!).

When I got a new job in September 2008, the first thing we reinstated was our cleaning service!

I, too, love the convenience of coming home to a clean house and not having to worry about spending my weekends cleaning. I want to spend it doing family activities or even just relaxing!

Best wishes with your decision!

katied
05-17-2010, 12:08 PM
If you can afford it, this is one thing I would NOT cut. Cleaning makes me unhappy, and since I have different standards than DH, the cleaning falls to me if we don't have someone in to do it (DH would think that toilets can go for months without being cleaned, and who needs to sweep/mop a kitchen floor?). I don't want to spend hours every weekend scrubbing bathrooms, floors, dusting, vacuuming, etc. I work all week, and I want to spend time at home with my family.

Yes, I still have to spend some time cleaning, but really just a quick wipe down of things if people are coming over or a clean up for a toddler accident, etc.

So, having someone in to clean is a MUST for us. I know it's not in everyone's budget, but there are many things I would go without before this.

Cjmuma
05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I know it may not be easy when you are used to having one... but I just finished grad school while working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week. If I can do it, anyone can. You just learn that some small messes are liveable.... :confused3

tinkarooni
05-17-2010, 12:16 PM
No. I have not found it to be manageable. Both DH and I work full time, and have two kids, I work at home but have no time to clean the house. As with other posters I find that I am the one stuck inside on a nice Saturday cleaning the house. It has really affected the free time I have and has made me really unhappy. I had a cleaning lady but she decided to start raising her prices and lower her standards. I let her go but after months of this craziness will be looking for somebody new. Anybody have any recommendations? :rotfl:

Sinderelly
05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
We/I have never had a cleaning person/service. I am used to just doing it myself. I work FT and have always just set aside a couple hours per week for cleaning. If you keep things "picked up" it doesn't take that much time...really. We do laundry as we get a full load so that it doesn't pile up. I do deep cleaning in the spring and again in the fall windows, closets, etc. Our house is very clean.

I am surprised at the number of people that hire someone to clean. I would rather save the $$ for Disney. :rotfl:

cheerforchelsea
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Talk to your cleaning lady and see if you can negotiate a new LOWER price....right now work is slow and she may be willing to negotiate with you. If she is trustworthy and you are pleased with her work she would be hard to replace if you decide it is not a job you want to do yourself.

littlbugmom
05-17-2010, 01:17 PM
If you don't have to cancel for financial reasons, I wouldn't. Why? Is there something else you'd use the money for? It sounds like DH just likes to save where he can....I'd tell him to focus his savings jones on another area. :lmao:

We don't have cleaning people. We do it ourselves. We both work full time. We have 2 kids and a dog. It would probably be great to have someone else do it because unlike my Mom, I do not "enjoy" cleaning. That said, we don't miss out on family time and we don't spend our weekends cleaning.

We put "cleaning day" on our calendar on Saturdays because it helps the kids to know that on Saturdays, they need to clean their rooms well. DH or I also do one deep cleaning job every Saturdays. This past weekend, I focused on the kitchen. Took me an hour. Our park time didn't suffer, we still played outside, relaxed etc....we had an enjoyable weekend.

Everyone does what works for them but we just keep things picked up and DH and I clean something every day. It takes me no time at all to clean a bathroom while the kids and DH clean up the dinner dishes. When it's time for bathes, the kids automatically pick up anything that belongs to them and take it up to their rooms before getting into the shower/bath.

As much as I'd prefer someone else to clean my house, I don't even think about it taking up too much of my time. It doesn't even register, kwim? It never really gets all that dirty because we have a consistent routine and everyone keeps the house clean. I can see how it might seem overwhelming though to someone who has always had someone else clean for them. Without a routine down that works for you, it would seem like a lot of work.

If I had a cleaning person, I wouldn't get rid of the service just to see that dollar amount saved. No way. If I didn't need that money for something else, I'd absolutely use it to pay someone to do the cleaning. :thumbsup2

DrMomof3
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
We just cut back from once a week to every other week. We're both professionals who work long hours and we have 3 little kids. I've been using flylady.net to help me stay on top of things. I've also been giving the kids a little bit of $$$ for each "chore" that they do. When we made our new budget, we had to make some cuts. I really wanted to keep our August Disney trip so we cut back on cleaning. With flylady and help from my kids, it's really been ok. Our house isn't spotless but it isn't terrible either. When our finances improve, I'll probably go back to once a week but this is do-able.

Amanda

Pigeon
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't have a cleaning person, but I sure wish I did. Dh has never been on board, and I'm not organized enough to do all the pre-cleaning (picking up for the household) that needs to be done. If I could afford it and it wasn't an issue with him, I'd have a cleaner in a heartbeat.

Dh and I both work full time and have two kids in various activities. I have very little free time as it is, and I hate spending most of it cleaning the house, on top of all the other chores and errands that need doing. Our house is usually a mess, to be honest.

Gigi22
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM
DH and I are recently retired, and we have kept our cleaning lady. There is no way I would try to economize by getting rid of the cleaning lady. If I had to cut somewhere to make ends meet, I would cut our entertainment budget first. And, I know if we were to cut the cleaning lady, I would be the one stuck doing the housework. No way for that!

ForTheLoveofDisney
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't have a cleaning lady but I would love, LOVE, LOVE to have one. I hate cleaning but my hatred wasn't as bad when I was home full time. Now I'm working full time and I'm exhausted when I get home at night. Often, things pile up out of sheer exhaustion and not taking the time to put it away. It's like what another poster said, work until evening and by the time you have dinner, it's time for bed. I HATE spending my Saturdays and/or Sundays cleaning up and being stuck inside. It's like a second job!

I don't know how to go about getting a cleaning person.

Any recomendations of how you found yours?

m&m's mom
05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
My husband said we would cut electricity before our cleaning lady. :rotfl2:
She is PHENOMENAL!!!
Seriously, no hurt feelings or fights because I know a lot of it would fall to me. In all fairness, DH is a great straightener and I stink at it but he does virtually no real cleaning.
We tell people that Leticia is cheaper than marital counseling so she stays!

Priorityonecb
05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I say if you can afford it, keep it! Or perhaps go to every other week instead of weekly. We always have a cleaning lady when I was growing up. I only work part time, and I enjoy cleaning my house. But, if I didn't and it was taking away precious weekend time with my family...I'd hire someone in a heartbeat.

disneyfans95
05-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Never seen the needs to hire one. Too us it is a huge waste of money.

We have two kids with the full sports schedule and we both work full time jobs. Like anything, just have to manage your time and stay on top of the chores.

Everyone chips in and it is not a huge deal. Sure it can be a drag doing the yard work at 4:30pm on a Saturday, but if that opens up Sunday for us to something as a family, we do it.

The whole idea of spending money for this just seems friviolous (spelling on that?).

Sorry but even with our FT jobs and two kids, there is enough time to knock out the housekeeping duties.

sunnyday123
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
No, but I did let the butler and chauffeur go. :rotfl2:

LuLuO
05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
We've never had a cleaning person but I am thinking about hiring a friend of my MIL's who does cleaning. MIL gave me a gift certificate to try her out. I'd love to have a cleaning person once a week. I feel like I don't spend enough time with the kids because I am cleaning and then I feel like I don't clean enough because I am spending a lot of time with the kids. I don't seem to be able to juggle it.

TALB
05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I got rid of our cleaning lady when she upped her fee to $20 an hour. I then hired a high school girl who isn't old enough to work yet. I pay her $10 an hour and she is awesome. I plan to hire her extra hours over the summer for some deep cleaning. You should consider this. I just asked some friends who had teenage daughters until I found one.

Anjelica
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your responses - it definetly gives me something to think about. I really am worried about not being able to have the family time we do now if we let the cleaning folks go.

Currently they come every other week - there is usually 4 ladies and it takes them a little more than 1.5 hours to do the cleaning. My husband thinks our kids (one turning 7 and one is 3) should be able to help out more, etc. I think he is convinced that since it only takes 1.5 hours for four ladies to do the cleaning - which he considers "ok" - that it won't take us much longer if we make our own schedule and each of us pitches in.

They currently don't clean every room in the house but about 75% of the rooms and the bathrooms which are HUGE for me. He says he will clean the bathrooms himself and believe it or not before we had cleaning folks he did clean the bathrooms (I don't mind the kitchen, etc.) so I know he will live up to his word on that.

Just a lot to think about - and I really do appreciate everyones views and experiences on the subject.

Jeninindy
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I think he is a bit off base if he thinks that a 7 year old and a 3 year old will be able to help clean the house - while they can put their things away, there is no way they can clean like four cleaners!!! :)

Good Luck with whatever you decide. My vote is to keep the cleaners if you can afford it. We don't have a cleaning lady, but would love one!

englishteacha
05-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I just don't clean my house. :)

No, we don't live in filth, but I probably should vacuum and dust a bit more often, and declutter more frequently. My bathroom is always clean, we always have clean clothes and dishes. I work full time, run the school drama program, and am in grad school. Something had to take the backseat, and for me it was cleaning. Getting my degree means more to me than having a dust free dining room or a perfectly vacuumed carpet!

If I could figure out how to pay a housecleaner, I would. However, since most of our trouble is clutter (we have a tiny house and every surface has "stuff"), there's not a lot a cleaner could do for me other than pick up the clutter and dust underneath it!

clh2
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I used to have a fabulous cleaning lady, and then she passed away due to pancreatic cancer.

We opted to not find a new cleaning lady to come in every other week.

What we currently do - for the times that I want the house to look immaculate - I find someone on craigslist. I did this before DD's confirmation party. It was the best present I could have given myself. It cost a lot, but is was SOOO worth it.

We also had someone come in and give the house a good once over about a week before Christmas last year. Yep - the house looked fab! Worth every penny.

The hard part of no longer having a regular cleaning lady - the whole house is never clean all at one time. I just try to make sure there is a "little extra" available close to the holidays.

Aisling
05-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't cancel the cleaning people. Since you both work, it's worth every dime. And tell Shannon you're helping the economy by providing employment!:thumbsup2

XYSRUS
05-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Have to chime in....husband is super frugal ie. Cheap. Anyway 4 years ago I started working nights and got a cleaning person. FF 4 years and we thought maybe we could cut down to every 3-4 weeks instead of every 2. Well, my frugal husband was the one who finally lost his mind and caved. We love our cleaning lady who comes every 2 weeks-wish we could afford every week!

jodifla
05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks for your responses - it definetly gives me something to think about. I really am worried about not being able to have the family time we do now if we let the cleaning folks go.

Currently they come every other week - there is usually 4 ladies and it takes them a little more than 1.5 hours to do the cleaning. My husband thinks our kids (one turning 7 and one is 3) should be able to help out more, etc. I think he is convinced that since it only takes 1.5 hours for four ladies to do the cleaning - which he considers "ok" - that it won't take us much longer if we make our own schedule and each of us pitches in.

They currently don't clean every room in the house but about 75% of the rooms and the bathrooms which are HUGE for me. He says he will clean the bathrooms himself and believe it or not before we had cleaning folks he did clean the bathrooms (I don't mind the kitchen, etc.) so I know he will live up to his word on that.

Just a lot to think about - and I really do appreciate everyones views and experiences on the subject.

Of course, this is still more than 6 hours of nonstop cleaning for your house. So that's six hours you won't be doing fun things. It doesn't sound like much, but if you already work full time, there aren't than many other hours in a day.

And even if you have the cleaning people there is still plenty to do daily in your house: Laundry, dishes, shopping, cooking. Not to mention all the yardwork. Not to mention all the projects that pile up that don't get touched if you are scrubbing floors.

If you were struggling, sure I'd cancel. But since your not, I'd spend the money and enjoy your life!

tink_lover
05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I posted earlier and had to come back to let you know..... I FOUND A NEW CLEANING LADY :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I sent an email to some neighbors and friends asking for recommendations and got a few back immediately. Called one of them, she came this week to look thru the house and I hired her on the spot. What did it was when she said that if she finishes early, she just looks for something else to do, like clean out the refrigerator!!!! I'm so relieved, it's really kinda sad.

labdogs42
05-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I just don't clean my house. :)

No, we don't live in filth, but I probably should vacuum and dust a bit more often, and declutter more frequently. My bathroom is always clean, we always have clean clothes and dishes. I work full time, run the school drama program, and am in grad school. Something had to take the backseat, and for me it was cleaning. Getting my degree means more to me than having a dust free dining room or a perfectly vacuumed carpet!

If I could figure out how to pay a housecleaner, I would. However, since most of our trouble is clutter (we have a tiny house and every surface has "stuff"), there's not a lot a cleaner could do for me other than pick up the clutter and dust underneath it!

I used to just not clean, but now that I have a cleaning lady, I find I LOVE having a clean house! (we hired the cleaning lady when I went back to work full time in January of this year. I made DH promise I could haev a cleaning lady if I got a full time job!) I'm the cheap one in the family and while it does pain me a bit to pay her every week, I have to admit, I 'd hate to get rid of her. Just knowing that the kitchen floor and counters and bathrooms will be clean every week makes me happy. It also gives me time to do the other cleaning tasks that weren't getting done like cleaning out the fridge on a regular basis, vacuuming the couch every so often, and decluttering the whole house. It also helps that I know she's coming on Wednesday, so I run around and clean up on Tuesday nights. Otherwise, I'd just skip it!

shortbun
05-23-2010, 01:43 PM
We're in the process of hiring one. I've been blown off twice by private cleaners and Tuesday, Merry Maids is coming. I can not keep up with the general cleaning during the week because my schedule is so crazy and the men in my house are pigs but I love them!!! They couldn't care less about clean bathrooms and kitchens or floors. There are fingerprints everywhere all the time. I am looking forward to the day when it's no longer an issue.

OP-could you cut back to twice a month instead of weekly?

esk
05-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I've had a cleaning person for the last 14 years...not the same one, of course. DH and I are both in the military and have lived in 8 different places, but we always find one.

At first, I figured I could do it, but it created resentment because I spent each Saturday cleaning and DH didn't. Then he pitched in with bathrooms (I hate them) and I did the kitchen, but the vacuuming of the dog hair alone made me nuts. So we got a weekly cleaner and never looked back.

We love coming home to a clean house on Fridays. Since we're not here much during the week (after work, it's dinner and bed for our 2 kids) the weekends are when we are at home and it would make me crazy to have to clean....like it would be hanging over my head that I have to get it done.

Every time we move, we go through 2-3 months before I find one I'm happy with and that is no picnic. Weekends are when we do errands, and adding cleaning on top of that just makes it harder.

By contrast, my mother has never, ever, ever had one. She used to give me a can of Comet and a sponge and tell me to get moving on the 3 bathrooms in our house.....I think I was 10? Maybe 12. After dinner chores used to drive us kids nuts and cause more fights. Although I have always liked doing the laundry....

mamaLori05
11-28-2010, 03:43 AM
If I could hire a cleaning lady, I would in a heart beat!!! I am a SAHM, with a 3 and 5 yr old and one on the way, oh and a dh who forgets where the dishwasher is and likes to read the newspaper throughout the entire house. I do keep up with the house daily by picking up after the kids (and dh), vacuuming the kitchen floor once a day to catch all the crumbs under the table, keep up on the dishes, etc..., but I find I still spend ALL DAY on Sat cleaning. Seriously, even with keeping up with everything during the week it takes me at least 6 hrs of nonstop cleaning on Sat to do all the deep cleaning like washing the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, wiping down the kitchen, dusting, vacuuming the entire house, etc...(and that doesn't include doing the windows or baseboards, those unfortunately get neglected to spring and fall cleaning). In addition to the 6 hrs I probably do another hour or two per day just keeping up with the daily stuff (the laundry, dishes, and the never ending of picking up after the kids). It is just me doing all the cleaning, so I'm sure if I had some help it wouldn't take as long, but it's still a LOT of work!!! I've already warned my dh several times that when I go back to work, I WILL be hiring a cleaning lady. I hate cleaning as it is, but I could NEVER keep up with it all if I was working full time, I can barely keep up with it as it is. So yes....keep the cleaning lady!!!!

karice2
11-28-2010, 05:15 AM
I have been considering a cleaning person. My grandma who loves to clean recommended it on Thanksgiving. My main issue is folding the laundry, does your cleaning people do that? Do you find yourself pre-cleaning for the cleaning lady, do they change sheets. What is done?

I am single with no kids but have about a 3 hour round trip commute every day. I just don't have the time or inclination to do the cleaning that I should be doing.

If you can afford it don't get rid of the cleaning lady. I will be joining your ranks soon.

wide awake
11-28-2010, 05:55 AM
I don't have a cleaning lady, if I could find someone that would do a good job, and if I weren't so cheap I'd think about it. For those of you that use a chain...do they really clean or is it surface ? I remember from "Nickled and Dimed" the author was appalled at how they were taught to make it look nice, but no real cleaning. Gross. Like many PP if a clean house is important to you the time is there. I loathe cleaning, but do the basics everyday and a full cleaning on Sundays...and I work approx 70 hours a week and have an autistic son. So yes, the time is there if you make it a priority.
One thing that helps me is that I am very careful about what I buy or put out. For example, if it can't be put in the dishwasher it isn't on my kitchen counters. One trash can under the kitchen sink so I'm not running around all over the house emptying various other trash cans. Leather couches and chairs for the most part. Washable bed coverings. Tile in all the bathrooms, downstairs hall, kitchen, laundryroom, and main eating area. Very few knickknacks. Throwing out most of the mail before it ever comes into the house. No shoes inside. Certain things done every day, just to stay on top...beds made, always at least one load of laundry, all dishes in the dishwasher and washed and unloaded at least once a day, all sinks scoured at least once a day, bathroom and kitchen counters wiped down, all toilets have bleach tablets to keep them ok between cleanings, trash taken out 2-3 times a day, and an everything has a place policy.
No, my house isn't cold and unwelcoming. I decorate w/ fresh flowers, have lots of books, and if I want to display something I hang it up for the most part.

crisi
11-28-2010, 09:13 AM
I had a cleaning person when my kids were little. When they got to be young elementary school age, the woman I used decided to stop cleaning houses. And I didn't bother to replace her. In part because I wanted my kids to start to participate in the cleaning.

So that was the time we pulled out chores. Does house cleaning and chores impact the amount of time we have to do other things - a little. But it also teaches my kids that the faster they get chores done, the sooner we can get to the pool. That the house does not clean itself. They are now eleven and twelve, and can do laundry, vaccuum, dust, put a meal on the table, clean a bathroom, do the dishes. With four hands it doesn't take very long at all to get a house in order. It is something we do together as a family....so no, it doesn't cut into family time.

Tink-n-MrIncredible
11-28-2010, 10:44 AM
No, I think it is cheaper for DH to keep ME than to get rid of ME.:rotfl2:

laurafergie
11-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I have been considering a cleaning person. My grandma who loves to clean recommended it on Thanksgiving. My main issue is folding the laundry, does your cleaning people do that? Do you find yourself pre-cleaning for the cleaning lady, do they change sheets. What is done?

I am single with no kids but have about a 3 hour round trip commute every day. I just don't have the time or inclination to do the cleaning that I should be doing.

If you can afford it don't get rid of the cleaning lady. I will be joining your ranks soon.

I actually am someone's cleaner. I picked up the job for extra money back in 2008 when my DH got laid off and just kept the job. I work 2 times a week/4 hours a day, (in addition to my real job) and the money I make from it goes in our vacation fund.

That being said - I used to have a cleaner myself. :) I wish I still did and would go back in a heartbeat. Kind of ironic in a way. I don't mind cleaning the other person's house, because it is a job - but HATE cleaning my own.

To answer PP's question. Yes - the lady I work for does make sure the house is "picked up". I am paid to clean, not move toys and clutter around. We agreed on this before hand. (I actually had to fire a family a couple of years ago because their house was so gross, cluttered and messy - all I could do was pick up their mess. But she didn't want to pay for the extra time. Not worth the stress)

I also do her family's laundry. She asked if I would when I was hired, and I don't care - it just runs as I work. I deliver to proper rooms, but I don't put away. (I don't want to invade their private dresser drawers)

I also change sheets - I will make the bed anyway - so it is not a big deal.

I deep clean one room (baseboards, inside windows, etc.but I don't move the furniture) per visit in addition to the agreed cleaning, so everything is in rotation.

Everything I do was discussed and agreed before hand. I actually modeled what I agreed to - to what MY former cleaner used to do for me - except I didn't have her do my laundry.

StitchBuddy
11-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a cleaning DD13 does that count?? Actually, I do pay her to do things that need to be done that are not in the normal day to day stuff. We have a large house and there is no way I could do it by myself and work full time. So, I pay my daughter for things like all the basebaords. I paid her $40 to clean them all this summer. Win-win for us. She wants the money and learns how to keep a house and I don't have to do chores I don't like or have time to do. She is an awesome cleaner!! Now, don't ask about her own room! Ha, ha!!

drcmk
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Currently they come every other week - there is usually 4 ladies and it takes them a little more than 1.5 hours to do the cleaning. My husband thinks our kids (one turning 7 and one is 3) should be able to help out more, etc.

That makes it easy. If it takes four people 1.5 hours, the two of you need to find six extra hours to do the same work. I think it is great to involve the kids in cleaning, but honestly, at their age, you are going to have to go behind your kids and redo what they do, so it won't save you any time.

For me, the amount of money that I spend on my cleaning service-- about $115 each time they visit--is clearly worth six hours of my time since I value time with my family or pursuing my hobbies at more than $19 per hour and so does my spouse.

Everyone's judgement there will be different.

jcgonczi
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
We got rid of our cleaning lady and IT SUCKS! I am a SAHM with 3 kids. I am busy and kids are messy! I spend so much time cleaning up the day to day gunk, that it is hard to get to the deeper stuff. Last month we slept on the same sheets for the entire month because I couldn't find the time to change them.

I don't want to spend so much of my time taking care of my house and things. I know that sounds lazy, but it is not meant that way. There are just so many other things I would rather be doing with my time. However, as with most things, whether or not to have a cleaning lady is a trade off between time and money. Right now for us the money wins.

Chelley00
11-28-2010, 12:28 PM
DH and I both work full time, have 4 kids with busy sports schedules, a dog and a cat. I have NEVER in my life had a cleaning lady.

I spend 15-20 minutes 2 or 3 days a week cleaning after the kids go to bed, and on the weekends we finish what I couldn't get done during the week. The kids are expected to keep their rooms picked up and anything they get out downstairs, and occasionally they will help with chores on weekends if I need them too. We don't spend our entire weekend cleaning, but once in awhile we have to do the chores before we can go play.

If everyone pitches in, things get done, and we are teaching the kids to be responsible for their messes and to help out as part of a family.

QVCshopper
11-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I've never had one, but I think a cleaner would make life easier if you have small children and work full-time. I have small children and work part-time at night, so I work cleaning/laundry into my day, as my husband does at night. It's about teamwork; we do equal work and get the job done. It would be nice to have a cleaner and I could afford it, but I think I'm ultimately too cheap to ever get one.

*NikkiBell*
11-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd suggest getting organized. Look into Fly Lady online for help. She's great! :)

windycitymom
11-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm the frugal one, but I LOVE having my house cleaned! I would cut the budget elsewhere. Typically, one lady comes in for about 5 hours, and I pay her $70 (4 bedroom home). It is a polish cleaning service so sometimes the ladies don't speak English, but the owner does. I'm always home when they clean. They also change sheets. It takes time to prep for a cleaning because I need to clear up the clutter and papers - but it's a good thing, otherwise, the piles would grow. Sometimes for budgetary reasons they don't come in as often as I would like, but I would never totally give it up.

I just had my house cleaned so now I can put up ALL of my Christmas decorations in a clean house!:banana:

For those who need a cleaning lady, ask your friends and neighbors whom they use. Word of mouth is good.

pearlieq
11-28-2010, 04:03 PM
If you don't HAVE to cancel it, I sure wouldn't!

Cleaning is time-consuming and unpleasant. It also leads to plenty of "but you said you would vaccum!" bickering.

As long as I have the means, I will be paying someone to clean my house. I have better things to do with my time and energy!

Anjelica
11-28-2010, 05:12 PM
We ended up NOT getting rid of our cleaning folks (glad we didn't). Unless we can't afford it or one of us is no longer working we don't have any plans of getting rid of them.

counselormom
11-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Nooooo!!!! Don't do it. I let my husband talk me into it a year ago and I regret it every weekend, after a long week at work, I'm spending hours
on Saturday cleaning instead of spending time with my kids.

nicki.momof3
11-28-2010, 05:49 PM
If I can do it, anyone can.

This is statement assumes that you work more, have more kids, and a larger house than anyone else.

I have had a cleaning lady and not had one. My husband works 11.5 hours days (only off one Wed. and Sunday) and I am a full time high school English teacher (I see 180 students a day - 5 classes x 36 kids per class). I also have 3 children under the age of 6.

Between grading a ton of papers everynight, spending time with my kids, helping my kids with their homework, making dinner / dishes, bed, and bath (My husband does not arrive home until after bedtime every night) the last thing I have time for is deep house cleaning.

We can not afford a weekly cleaning lady but we have found a nice medium in a bi-weekly one. She does all the deep cleaning and I do surface cleaning daily.

It has ment less $$ to spend on "extras" such as dinners out and movies but it is worth it in time. If I had to spent every weekend / evening deep cleaning it would have a huge (negative) impact on my childrens quality of life.

So my advise to the OP is if you can keep her - do it. Maybe reduce the frequency if you have to.

eeyore81
11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
My vote is not to cancel. We were without a cleaning lady for 3 weeks until we could find a new one. It was horrible. My husband and I both work and neither one of us wanted to clean on the weekends. We have a cleaning lady 2 days a week and I could not do without it. I would definitely cut out other things in our budget before I would cancel the cleaning lady.

CanBeGrumpy
11-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't have a cleaning lady, if I could find someone that would do a good job, and if I weren't so cheap I'd think about it. For those of you that use a chain...do they really clean or is it surface ? I remember from "Nickled and Dimed" the author was appalled at how they were taught to make it look nice, but no real cleaning. Gross. ....

That book ("Nickled and Dimed") is one of the big reasons I won't hire a cleaning person/service. In addition to what is mentioned above by the previous poster, the author also said they reused the cleaning cloths from house to house, so someone else's bathroom germs were now all over your bathroom. I just can't handle the thought of that.

Also, my house is continually a complete wreck, so no cleaning person would even want the job, I'm sure. ;) Now, a personal chef, THAT is something I would LOVE!!!!!

nicki.momof3
11-28-2010, 05:57 PM
DH and I both work full time, have 4 kids with busy sports schedules, a dog and a cat. I have NEVER in my life had a cleaning lady.

I spend 15-20 minutes 2 or 3 days a week cleaning after the kids go to bed, and on the weekends we finish what I couldn't get done during the week. The kids are expected to keep their rooms picked up and anything they get out downstairs, and occasionally they will help with chores on weekends if I need them too. We don't spend our entire weekend cleaning, but once in awhile we have to do the chores before we can go play.

If everyone pitches in, things get done, and we are teaching the kids to be responsible for their messes and to help out as part of a family.

I agree with the everyone pitches in concept - we also do that. However, I think there a lot of factors (size of house and level of expected cleaning desired). There is no way my house could be cleaned in 15-20 minutes day 2-3 days a week even if all 5 of us did it. Washing the floors and scrubbing the showers takes that much time.

When I clean my house I expect it very clean - a half done, quick job is not acceptable.

JeannieNM
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Since it is not an economic issue, I would not get rid of your cleaning lady especially if she or he is good. Three years ago my housekeeper left because she was pregnant, two more kids later she is back. I had a cleaning person who did what I call spit and polish but did not really clean while she was gone, I was never so happy as when she called and told me she could come back. MY housekeeper is back and comes twice a week, would do anything in the world to keep her, I am generous with leave and bonus for that very reason. Good luck with your decision.

graygables
11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
We/I have never had a cleaning person/service. I am used to just doing it myself. I work FT and have always just set aside a couple hours per week for cleaning. If you keep things "picked up" it doesn't take that much time...really. We do laundry as we get a full load so that it doesn't pile up. I do deep cleaning in the spring and again in the fall windows, closets, etc. Our house is very clean.

I am surprised at the number of people that hire someone to clean. I would rather save the $$ for Disney. :rotfl:

I have always said that I will never pay someone to do something I can do myself. Last year, I worked full-time (in an internship, so 50-55 hours/week), went to grad school full-time, homeschooled 2 kids, all as a single mom and still cleaned my own house. Well, OK, the kids helped. We still had time to do things as a family. I teach my kids that work is part of life and that includes maintaining one's living space. Leisure time is earned after hard work. First things first, and all that.

I also am a Flylady proponent. Her system is extremely adaptable and works very well. My "control journal" is in a rolodex while my friends have a binder and one uses a pocket photo album. It really is a matter of finding what works for you.

Here are some things that make maintenance easier and reduce the big cleaning jobs:
Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner
Scrubbing Bubbles Extend-a-Clean (bathroom counters)
bleach tabs in the toilets
basic toilet brush (daily swishes), we do use a disposable in DDs' bathroom
steam mop
Magic Erasers (esp in the kitchen)
Scotch Brite cooktop cleaner (glass-top range)
Swiffer dusters w/ extending handles

Maintaining is really so much easier than trying to do "big" cleaning. I might do that a few times a year, but it's hardly ever necessary. 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there, everyone picks up after himself, and things look pretty good.

mhsjax
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I agree with the everyone pitches in concept - we also do that. However, I think there a lot of factors (size of house and level of expected cleaning desired). There is no way my house could be cleaned in 15-20 minutes day 2-3 days a week even if all 5 of us did it. Washing the floors and scrubbing the showers takes that much time.

When I clean my house I expect it very clean - a half done, quick job is not acceptable.

This. I want 100% clean. I am crazy. Also if you have a cleaning lady that comes every other week or even once a week, if you have kids and or an animal, you need to clean in between. Also, kids don't do that great of a job, and they can learn in between cleaning sessions.

mhsjax
11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I have always said that I will never pay someone to do something I can do myself. Last year, I worked full-time (in an internship, so 50-55 hours/week), went to grad school full-time, homeschooled 2 kids, all as a single mom and still cleaned my own house. Well, OK, the kids helped. We still had time to do things as a family. I teach my kids that work is part of life and that includes maintaining one's living space. Leisure time is earned after hard work. First things first, and all that.

I also am a Flylady proponent. Her system is extremely adaptable and works very well. My "control journal" is in a rolodex while my friends have a binder and one uses a pocket photo album. It really is a matter of finding what works for you.

Here are some things that make maintenance easier and reduce the big cleaning jobs:
Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner
Scrubbing Bubbles Extend-a-Clean (bathroom counters)
bleach tabs in the toilets
basic toilet brush (daily swishes), we do use a disposable in DDs' bathroom
steam mop
Magic Erasers (esp in the kitchen)
Scotch Brite cooktop cleaner (glass-top range)
Swiffer dusters w/ extending handles

Maintaining is really so much easier than trying to do "big" cleaning. I might do that a few times a year, but it's hardly ever necessary. 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there, everyone picks up after himself, and things look pretty good.

wow, all of that and you didn't cure world hunger. Did you create more hours in a week or am I misunderstanding. worked 50 hours, plus your own school, plus home schooled your kids. Did I miss something?

graygables
11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
wow, all of that and you didn't cure world hunger. Did you create more hours in a week or am I misunderstanding. worked 50 hours, plus your own school, plus home schooled your kids. Did I miss something?

Math class?
168 hours in a week.
55 for work.
10 for grad school.
10 for homeschooling (it doesn't take homeschooled kids as long to do their work, plus mine are old enough that a fair bit does not involve me)
49 for sleep

That leaves me 6.5 hours per day (average) for other things. Utilizing my time wisely allowed me to do all of that. In that 6.5 hours, I also prepared homemade meals (no processed foods), repaired plumbing, painted walls, gardened, and still found time to do some fun stuff with the kids along the way (not the world hunger part, of course :sad2:) Hard does not mean impossible.

A little bit of daily maintenance goes a very long way to reducing the need for the clean-a-thon that so many people seem to think is necessary. Time management is a beautiful thing.

mhsjax
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Math class?
168 hours in a week.
55 for work.
10 for grad school.
10 for homeschooling (it doesn't take homeschooled kids as long to do their work, plus mine are old enough that a fair bit does not involve me)
49 for sleep

That leaves me 6.5 hours per day (average) for other things. Utilizing my time wisely allowed me to do all of that. In that 6.5 hours, I also prepared homemade meals (no processed foods), repaired plumbing, painted walls, gardened, and still found time to do some fun stuff with the kids along the way (not the world hunger part, of course :sad2:) Hard does not mean impossible.

A little bit of daily maintenance goes a very long way to reducing the need for the clean-a-thon that so many people seem to think is necessary. Time management is a beautiful thing.

Sorry, just assumed you commute time, homework time, kid activity time. I also know someone that worked full time and got her masters and it darn near killed her and that was without kids. I have a relative that did all you do but didn't work and she was never still, but her house was immaculate, so there was no need to insult my math skills. Seems like a little much to me, but hey, I loved my cleaning lady, and my kids still leaned how to do it. In fact we just purchased a new vacuum and my son had to try it because like he said, he is the one that vacuums.

2disneyboys
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM
everyone's opinion on here will vary.... I don't have a cleaning lady and prob never will. (dh & I also work full time, have 2 kids involved in various sports not to mention homework, and we are active in our church) and we (not I) do our own cleaning. and as my DH and youngest son have severe asthma and allergies, a "lick and a shine" don't cut it for our house.. we "deep" clean nearly every week and somehow still have family time ;). HOWEVER.... I love having a weekly yard service... they come once a week and do the basic stuff... cut, edge, rake etc.. THAT saves us more time then anything...and it lets me spend more time doing the fun stuff in the yard as a family (gardening etc) So I would not miss a cleaning service, but I would really really miss my yard service!

If financially it does not hurt you to have a cleaning service and it makes you happy, then go for it... the answer is not if its wrong or right for everyone else, all it matters is if its "right" for you.

mhsjax
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
everyone's opinion on here will vary.... I don't have a cleaning lady and prob never will. (dh & I also work full time, have 2 kids involved in various sports not to mention homework, and we are active in our church) and we (not I) do our own cleaning. and as my DH and youngest son have severe asthma and allergies, a "lick and a shine" don't cut it for our house.. we "deep" clean nearly every week and somehow still have family time ;). HOWEVER.... I love having a weekly yard service... they come once a week and do the basic stuff... cut, edge, rake etc.. THAT saves us more time then anything...and it lets me spend more time doing the fun stuff in the yard as a family (gardening etc) So I would not miss a cleaning service, but I would really really miss my yard service!

If financially it does not hurt you to have a cleaning service and it makes you happy, then go for it... the answer is not if its wrong or right for everyone else, all it matters is if its "right" for you.

Yep that yard service helps. Some people hate cleaning services because they don't want anyone cleaning their house, I understand that.

I had one when I had 3 kids under the age of 4. DH was working 6 hour days gone 12 hours of those days and on shifts, so I couldn't exactly vacuum and make all that noise when he was sleeping, so it made sense for me to have someone come in while he was at work. She came every other week and I cleaned in between. I know longer have her, kids are much older and DH work schedule has calmed down. We do still have a yard service, but ours is almost an acre and frankly we hate yard work, and I can't stand the Florida heat. My next door neighbor is just the opposite, (crazy thing) she loves outside and will work all day in 98 degree heat, but had a cleaning service once a week.

walkdmc
11-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I got rid of my cleaners in July, 7 months after I lost my job. I couldn't justify having them and not working, even though DH's salary is enough to cover the cost.

It has been hard to keep up with all the dust and vacuuming. If I'm doing laundry, I'm not wiping the baseboards, etc. I find it overwhelming and as a result, I'm cranky and my house doesn't look as good as when I had cleaners :( I can't wait to return to work, just so I can have a good reason to re-hire the cleaners, LOL!

If you can afford it, I wouldn't quit them. Plus, you're working FT, even more reason to have them.

luvthemouse71
11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Math class?
168 hours in a week.
55 for work.
10 for grad school.
49 for sleep

A little bit of daily maintenance goes a very long way to reducing the need for the clean-a-thon that so many people seem to think is necessary. Time management is a beautiful thing.:thumbsup2I agree. Cleaning isn't supposed to be pleasant. I mean, I can see why people that work might need some help cleaning but a SAHM that has a cleaner come in? Really? To me, that's just spoiled and a waste of money. It also explains some of the posts on here that complain about Mousekeeping...people just aren't used to cleaning up their own messes anymore.:confused3

Putting my flame suit on but I'm sorry, I would rather put my money towards better things- not towards something that any responsible adult should be able to do for themselves.

pearlieq
11-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Putting my flame suit on but I'm sorry, I would rather put my money towards better things- not towards something that any responsible adult should be able to do for themselves.

I didn't say I'm not able, I said I don't care to.

This is my "better things". Paying for cleaning service is not depriving me of something else I want.

I also imagine the person I employ appreciates having a job.

brittsmum1998
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I enjoy having cleaners come in also and I don't work.

I have chronic conditions and frankly would rather save my energy for other more fun things w/ family.

That being said, I cancelled the cleaners for one month due to some remodeling in the living room. I usually have them come in every other week. i found that I couldn't clean the house as well, could be lazy, could be illness . I never had the "energy" to clean it as well as they did and really missed them coming. They started coming this past Tuesday, and is always the case, DH noticed right away and complimented (as usual) how good a job they do.

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 07:07 AM
:thumbsup2I agree. Cleaning isn't supposed to be pleasant. I mean, I can see why people that work might need some help cleaning but a SAHM that has a cleaner come in? Really? To me, that's just spoiled and a waste of money. It also explains some of the posts on here that complain about Mousekeeping...people just aren't used to cleaning up their own messes anymore.:confused3

So why do you care how other people spend their money, I believe the question was is it manageable, she didn't ask about money and what you thought was a good way to spend it or if she was spoiled or responsible.

Chelley00
11-29-2010, 08:15 AM

It's not a half done job, I assure you. My house is very clean (I grew up with a Marine Corps dad and a nurse for a mother....white glove inspections!) But, if you have a cleaning lady come in for 3 hours every other week, you can do the same cleaning in smaller spurts during the week. One night I clean one bathroom. 20 minutes. The next night I might dust and DH will vacuum. I'm not killing myself on weekends to get things done, but I'm also not spending my entire evening cleaning my entire house. It's all in budgeting time.

princesspeach
11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
:thumbsup2I agree. Cleaning isn't supposed to be pleasant. I mean, I can see why people that work might need some help cleaning but a SAHM that has a cleaner come in? Really? To me, that's just spoiled and a waste of money. It also explains some of the posts on here that complain about Mousekeeping...people just aren't used to cleaning up their own messes anymore.:confused3

If I could stay home and have a cleaning lady I would do it in a heart beat spoiled or not. Why do you care how people spend their money. That sounds like jealosy. Some people actually make enough money to afford cleaning people and other things. I love my cleaning lady and I only work part- time. I can easily afford it, and I am providing a job for someone else and thats a good thing. I can't wait to give her a nice christmas bonus. She is not near as fortunate as we are. I feel good about employing someone to do a job I hate. Not a waste of money for me.

SDSorority
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Ok - so my husband has proposed we cancel our cleaning people. A few years ago I would have said no but recently I am open to the idea. We don't need to do it for financial reason at all but my husband likes to save money (I'm the spender) and he's making a case we can do it ourselves (which we can).

For those that have canceled their cleaning people/person - did you find it maneagable transitioning back into cleaning yourself? One of the benefits we had with cleaning people/person was that we got to spend more time as a family out and about doing things together (i.e. going to the park, swimming pool) so I am a bit worried that we won't have as much time to do those things. (Both my husband and I have full time jobs).

We got rid of ours. THANK GAWD I found the flylady. www.flylady.net She breaks things down into manageable bits. 15min a day, plus 1 hour a week and my house is spotless. :goodvibes

luvsJack
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Hmmmmm. I don't have a cleaning lady. Can't afford it. wouldn't have one if I could. Do I care if someone else has one? No--spend your money how you want. The question was though--"was it manageable?"

I wanted to come in and put a few :lmao: and say "no we are just living in a pig sty' decided not to. But, the question just kills me! Of course its managable! You do what you have to do! Families have been working and cleaning for years without someone hired to do it for them, I don't think that it has suddenly become something people cannot do!

I work 40 hours a week, spend a minimum of 20 hours per week on school, take care of dd by myself throughout the week--cooking, washing clothes, running her to activities, etc. And on Saturday morning we get up and spend a couple of hours getting the house **** and span. And then enjoy the rest of our weekend. (we don't clean the baseboards on a weekly basis but really don't see the need either) Its just a matter of what you WANT to do.

OP, if you do not WANT to do without a cleaning lady--keep her. If you WANT to do it yourself--get rid of her. But, "is it managable?" Seriously?

mookie
11-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Glad you have your flame suit on, because this is just plain ridiculous. Are you saying because I am a SAHM that I don't work or that I am lazy because I have a cleaning lady? I have 3 kids under the age of 7. Just the daily tasks of taking care of them is enough. Feeding them, picking up after them, doing their laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc. Cleaning is something that tends to get put to the wayside not because I am LAZY, but because I have many other things to do. I'm not getting into the SAHM/Working Mom debate, but I will tell you that when I was working I managed over 600 volunteers on a daily basis, and that job was CAKE compared to taking care of our house and kids on a daily basis. Just because I am a SAHM and have a cleaning service come to do the major tasks that would take time away from my kids doesn't make me lazy, it makes me realize that my time to be spent as a SAHM was so that I could raise my kids....not put them in front of a TV while I deep cleaned the house all day. Your assumptions are not only offensive, but very judgemental in the case that you don't know what goes on in my life on a daily basis, so for you to say that I am not a responsible adult because I don't clean my shower is very close-minded. :sad2:

ocalla
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Keep the cleaning lady!!!

I would love to have one, but I am not sure how to go about finding one.

How did you find yours? And how did you go about trusting that person in your home? Any tips would be appreciated.

SaraJayne
11-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Glad you have your flame suit on, because this is just plain ridiculous. Are you saying because I am a SAHM that I don't work or that I am lazy because I have a cleaning lady? I have 3 kids under the age of 7. Just the daily tasks of taking care of them is enough. Feeding them, picking up after them, doing their laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc. Cleaning is something that tends to get put to the wayside not because I am LAZY, but because I have many other things to do. I'm not getting into the SAHM/Working Mom debate, but I will tell you that when I was working I managed over 600 volunteers on a daily basis, and that job was CAKE compared to taking care of our house and kids on a daily basis. Just because I am a SAHM and have a cleaning service come to do the major tasks that would take time away from my kids doesn't make me lazy, it makes me realize that my time to be spent as a SAHM was so that I could raise my kids....not put them in front of a TV while I deep cleaned the house all day. Your assumptions are not only offensive, but very judgemental in the case that you don't know what goes on in my life on a daily basis, so for you to say that I am not a responsible adult because I don't clean my shower is very close-minded. :sad2:

In my opinion, yes, it does make you lazy, unless you are physically impaired in some way. Your opinion is obviously different.

Unless you live in a museum, it doesn't take an entire day to clean a house. :rotfl:And why in the world would you "deep clean" every single day?

Millions of men and women manage to work (some outside the home), raise children, volunteer, run errands, pay bills, grocery shop, etc while still keeping their houses in livable condition. Shocking, I know, but it happens every single day. :eek:

mookie
11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
In my opinion, yes, it does make you lazy, unless you are physically impaired in some way. Your opinion is obviously different.

Unless you live in a museum, it doesn't take an entire day to clean a house. :rotfl:And why in the world would you "deep clean" every single day?

Millions of men and women manage to work (some outside the home), raise children, volunteer, run errands, pay bills, grocery shop, etc while still keeping their houses in livable condition. Shocking, I know, but it happens every single day. :eek:

Again, it's not a matter of being ABLE to do it. I am CHOOSING to do it because that time spent cleaning is less time for the kids. I CHOSE to stay home to spend time with them...not to deep clean my house. It's no different than a working person CHOOSING to spend their time at home doing other things except cleaning, also. And if I can afford it, SAHM or not....so be it. But to think for a SECOND that I sit around eating bon bons because I have a cleaning service is just ignorant.

I've been on both sides, and I can see where someone who has never stayed home with kids would think that. I once did. But I will say it over and over again...working and not staying home was way easier than staying home with kids.

Now, since we are off-topic and have hijacked the post, I'll bring it back. Is it managable without a cleaning lady? Absolutely. But it's how you want to spend your time...and if you can afford it, go for it.

declansdad
11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that there are so many people who pay for a cleaning service and they are discussing it on the Budget Board???

mookie
11-29-2010, 10:46 AM

And for the record, why would I deep clean every day? I wouldn't. But when you have 3 kids who need your time throughout the day, you can't "deep clean" in a day w/o getting interrupted 600 times for various things, and that makes the job take twice as long. Which means that most times, when I didn't have a cleaning lady, it took longer for each room because of all of the needs of the kids would make me have to stop. This would mean that I would usually have to take a few rooms each day. Spread that out over a weeks time, and that time adds up significantly.

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
If you have 3 kids and a cleaning lady and you don't work, IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU LAZY. Been there done that. Mine are older now, so I don't have one, but when I do go back to work, or IF I do go back to work, yep I will have one.

Yes you can clean something everyday, bathrooms one day, vacuum the next, ect. My thing is this, when I had mine, she came every other week, and for the one day, everything was clean at the same time, the floors weren't in need of vacuum, the bathrooms were all done, the furniture was all dusted at the same time. I liked my WHOLE house very clean. Not just a few rooms being clean then the next day something else being clean. And, very important here, if you have kids I don't care what or how she cleans, you are still doing some cleaning before she comes back. To call someone lazy is rude. Maybe that person volunteers, or has other commitments. I have a friend that has 3 and stays home, but with her volunteering and PTO and her sports and her kids ports, she puts in more hours than most folks that work.

Who cares if someone has a cleaning service, it is their money and time, who are we to say that anyone is lazy or spoiled. That is rude and wrong. But then again maybe those that think that are just green with envy.

For what it is worth, I do have friends that deep clean everyday, it is just the way they live, again who are you to judge it. I guess your way is right and the only way, NOT.

shortbun
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
No way I would give up my cleaning team. They come once a week and I clean most surfaces once a week too. They save me four hours or more of cleaning and the cost is well worth it because we are pigs. :)

bettymae1121
11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
My parents both worked full time and did all the house/yard work themselves (yard and house always looked great). So sure, it's possible to do and possible to do without it taking up all of your free time (my parents still had time to spend with us and each other, including activities). I once asked my mother why we didn't have a "maid" like some families on tv. My mother said "I don't need a maid, that's what I have you and your brothers for". Said tounge in cheek at the time, but it was true. Once we were old enough we had chores, and those chores were usually cleaning the house. On top of having our help so she didn't have as much to do, I also think it was just something she didn't want to spend money on. She (and my dad) had other things that were important to them that they spend money on instead.

DH and I have both said once we've finished remodeling the house, we're getting a cleaning service. I work from home and we have no kids, so I'll be honest...for us it's just lazyness. We both hate cleaning and both would rather spend time on other things. DH has even said he's thinking about a lawn service, but he's so picky about how the yard looks I doubt he'd actually do it. By the time we're done remodeling we'll be in a position that we can easily afford it, so why not? We work hard and need to spend our money on something, why not spend it on something that frees up our time to enjoy other things? This is what WE want to spend our money on. Different choices than our parents made, but no less valid, at least in my mind.

For us, it's lazyness :) but for others - even SAHPs - it could be, not a "need" perhaps but an important part of what allows them to be the type of parent they want to be. If they can afford it, why not? None of us need Disney trips, or need fancy personal cell phones, or need to eat out, or need a late model car with all the bells and whistles. But many of us, once we reach a point where we can afford those things, go and get them. Why? Because it's what we want to spend our money on. To me, that's a good enough reason right there. "I want it and I can afford it". One person wants an iPhone, another person wants a cleaning service. Both are "wants", both are things that other people may look at them and say "what a waste of money!".

I say...who cares?

SaraJayne
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Again, it's not a matter of being ABLE to do it. I am CHOOSING to do it because that time spent cleaning is less time for the kids. I CHOSE to stay home to spend time with them...not to deep clean my house. It's no different than a working person CHOOSING to spend their time at home doing other things except cleaning, also. And if I can afford it, SAHM or not....so be it. But to think for a SECOND that I sit around eating bon bons because I have a cleaning service is just ignorant.

I've been on both sides, and I can see where someone who has never stayed home with kids would think that. I once did. But I will say it over and over again...working and not staying home was way easier than staying home with kids.

I am a SAHM and have been since my firstborn was 6 months old. :)

shortbun
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that there are so many people who pay for a cleaning service and they are discussing it on the Budget Board???

It's in my budget because I don't go out to eat or buy expensive clothes, shoes, bags, accomodations, cars....and I do not accumulate credit card debt.

SaraJayne
11-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Yup. :)

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Yup. :)

Don't know why you are so quick to say Yup. Do you go on vacations? My dad thought they were a total waste of money. Do you ever eat out? Do you have pets? Again could be thought of as a total waste of money. Your computer, do you need it for work, do you need a cell phone, an other conveniences. Again, why so judgmental, just because you don't have one and don't want one doesn't mean that others wouldn't love one or that others would refuse to part with theirs.

Figment1990
11-29-2010, 11:28 AM
This is an interesting post to me because I was just debating this over the weekend.

We have someone who comes every week, actually, two ladies. It kills me every week to write the check. Not necessarily because I would rather be saving the money, but because i'm not exactly happy with the results.

We started off having her come every other week about 5 years ago, but that was when it was only DH and I, and since we both worked long hours, the house was really not that messy. Almost a year after DS was born when the holiday season started, I had her come every week, and we just kept her at every week since then. For the most part the house looks fine. I love coming home to vacuumed carpets. And this past year, I've had an injury that would not have enabled me to do the cleaning myself. Like PP have said, the time we do not spend cleaning enables us to have a little more time together on the weekends, or breathing room during the week.

The last few months, I've noticed our floors just do not look that clean. Then last week, neither do my bathrooms and I found makeup spilled on my dressing table. Now I don't expect her to move toys off the floor if I forgot to, or for her to move excessive things on shelves to dust around. But the makeup was just splattered there on my desk, with one swipe in it, like she took a quick swipe at it, but left it there. Fortunately it's a very old desk and laquered so no harm, but still - I expected it to actually be clean!

Anyhow, so I don't know what to do. I know that she does mostly surface cleaning, and alternates in some more detail work, like baseboards and windows every so often. But she's supposed to dust the lightfixtures (like kitchen and dining chandliers) all the time and I looked up and saw a cobweb having dinner with us the other night! Ick!

So last week I said: if I'm going to have to reclean a bunch of stuff, I might as well clean and put the money towards a second Disney trip!

Any advice? I don't know how to approach her. We never agreed on services too much because when I hired her I had no idea what to expect. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. My house is definitely not messy - my family is very very neat (DS 3 doesn't spill paint or food or anything), and we have a little clutter but DH and I are a little picky so not that much.

Maybe I can say something to her like: Is there a different product you recommend for the floors and toilets? I noticed they don't seem to be looking as clean as they used to. Do you recommend a deep cleaning product to be used every so often?

???

mookie
11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Now I'm starting to wonder...how is this any different from someone who goes and gets their car washed? Couldn't you do that at home too? Anyone that goes to a car wash is lazy. :rotfl:

Do you have a dishwasher? Couldn't you be washing them by hand? Again...lazy. :rotfl:

Do you order out? You could be making your own meals. Anyone who orders out must be lazy. :rotfl:

This could go on and on. The point is, people pay for conveniences all the time. To judge what we spend our money on if we can afford it is wrong, because I'm sure that you spend your money on some sort of convenience item, too. The budget board is here for people to make their money go as far as they can so they can afford the things that they want. It's not always about people who are scraping by and looking to cut corners to provide the basic needs of food, clothing and shelter. If you look through the threads, it's about saving money for WDW, or buying the latest Christmas gift. These are all luxury items....just like a cleaning service is.

princesspeach
11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Keep the cleaning lady!!!

I would love to have one, but I am not sure how to go about finding one.

How did you find yours? And how did you go about trusting that person in your home? Any tips would be appreciated.

Word of mouth is best. Do any of your neighbors or coworkers have a cleaning person. The agencies will charge 3x as much to clean your house. I would look for somebody that works for themselves. You can hang around while they clean until you get to know them. Ours is like a member of our family now. She has been with us 6 years. I trust her completely and she watches our house for us when we take vacations. Good luck.

mookie
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Don't know why you are so quick to say Yup. Do you go on vacations? My dad thought they were a total waste of money. Do you ever eat out? Do you have pets? Again could be thought of as a total waste of money. Your computer, do you need it for work, do you need a cell phone, an other conveniences. Again, why so judgmental, just because you don't have one and don't want one doesn't mean that others wouldn't love one or that others would refuse to part with theirs.

mhsjax, you are in my head!!!! :rotfl:

declansdad
11-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Now I'm starting to wonder...how is this any different from someone who goes and gets their car washed? Couldn't you do that at home too? Anyone that goes to a car wash is lazy. :rotfl:

Do you have a dishwasher? Couldn't you be washing them by hand? Again...lazy. :rotfl:

Do you order out? You could be making your own meals. Anyone who orders out must be lazy. :rotfl:

This could go on and on. The point is, people pay for conveniences all the time. To judge what we spend our money on if we can afford it is wrong, because I'm sure that you spend your money on some sort of convenience item, too. The budget board is here for people to make their money go as far as they can so they can afford the things that they want. It's not always about people who are scraping by and looking to cut corners to provide the basic needs of food, clothing and shelter. If you look through the threads, it's about saving money for WDW, or buying the latest Christmas gift. These are all luxury items....just like a cleaning service is.

Why are you so defensive?

I think it is ironic because I look at the budget board as a place to go to get tips on how to save money, not spend it.

For the record, I didn't call anyone lazy. However, we did have a cleaning lady at one time and I thought it was a complete waste of money.

princesspeach
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM

I didn't realize the budget board was just for poor people. Do you think us middle to upperclass people don't have budgets. A budget is a budget whether you make 20,000 a year or 200,000 a year. We all have have budgets to live on. Do they need to rename this board the low income budget board?

mookie
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Why are you so defensive?

I think it is ironic because I look at the budget board as a place to go to get tips on how to save money, not spend it.

For the record, I didn't call anyone lazy. However, we did have a cleaning lady at one time and I thought it was a complete waste of money.

I'm not defensive at all, and if it came across that way, I do apologize. I totally agree with you, it is somewhat ironic. But, I like the budget board so I can save money....for the other things that I want to spend money on. I like a good deal, and it helps me to be able to get ones on the more expensive things I want. I never thought you called me lazy, I was responding to SaraJayne's posts.

declansdad
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't realize the budget board was just for poor people. Do you think us middle to upperclass people don't have budgets. A budget is a budget whether you make 20,000 a year or 200,000 a year. We all have have budgets to live on. Do they need to rename this board the low income budget board?

Did I say that? When I think of looking for ways to save money, I don't think of paying for a cleaning staff for my home.

SaraJayne
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM

I said it was my opinion, which we are all allowed to express.

Why are you so defensive about being a SAHP and having a cleaning lady? ;)

I think this is another regional difference that is often talked about.

And for those saying I'm jealous, no, I'm not. :laughing: People that know me know what my house looks like.

princesspeach
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Did I say that? When I think of looking for ways to save money, I don't think of paying for a cleaning staff for my home.

When I browse through these boards. I think there is a lot of things people spend money on that I would consider a waste a money, but I would never comment on it or tell them its a waste of money. Its their money. You may consider a cleaning person a waste of money, but for me its one the best investments I have ever made. It allows me the freedom to work more hours if I want and I make 10x more a day than I pay I pay my cleaning lady to come in and clean for a day. There is all different ways to look at things.

Minnesota!
11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
We work 40+ hours a week (he works closer to 50), we both are in school full time, and have 2 kids. We don't have a cleaning person. Finding a routine is key. We do a "pickup" everyday. Meaning putting thing back where they belong, vaccuming, sweeping, cleaning the toilet and keeping up on the laundry. Plus dishes. Takes about 15 minutes out of the day. Saturday mornings are our big clean day. Dusting, organizing, going through the pile on the counter that accumulates during the week, bedding washed, walls washed, floors mopped, etc. It takes about 1 hour out of the day. So...I spend about 2.5 hours a week cleaning...and I save a lot of money! My kids (ages 6 and 3) have chores, too. The older one is responsible for gathering all the laundry, for dusting the living room, and he sweeps and vaccums, too. The little one dusts, picks up toys, wipes down the walls and counters and tables.

A daily routine is key.

NMAmy
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Back to the original question--of course, it's manageable. Millions of people manage to work full-time, raise and spend time with their kids, and clean their own home.

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I said it was my opinion, which we are all allowed to express.

Why are you so defensive about being a SAHP and having a cleaning lady? ;)

I think this is another regional difference that is often talked about.

And for those saying I'm jealous, no, I'm not. :laughing: People that know me know what my house looks like.

I am defending the choice of others, I no longer have one and I haven't in over 6 years. I did when the kids were very young and with 3 and DH working 6 12 hour days, yep, you betcha I did. We wanted time off to do things together. As far as now, I am the cleaning lady. But I would never call someone spoiled or lazy because they had one, that is my problem with what you said. Why do you feel the need to basically call names?

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
We work 40+ hours a week (he works closer to 50), we both are in school full time, and have 2 kids. We don't have a cleaning person. Finding a routine is key. We do a "pickup" everyday. Meaning putting thing back where they belong, vaccuming, sweeping, cleaning the toilet and keeping up on the laundry. Plus dishes. Takes about 15 minutes out of the day. Saturday mornings are our big clean day. Dusting, organizing, going through the pile on the counter that accumulates during the week, bedding washed, walls washed, floors mopped, etc. It takes about 1 hour out of the day. So...I spend about 2.5 hours a week cleaning...and I save a lot of money! My kids (ages 6 and 3) have chores, too. The older one is responsible for gathering all the laundry, for dusting the living room, and he sweeps and vaccums, too. The little one dusts, picks up toys, wipes down the walls and counters and tables.

A daily routine is key.

I takes only 1 hour to wash bedding, wash walls and mop floors. I realized that this can be done while bedding is being washed, but it takes 40 minutes alone just to wash mine, and with my family it is at least 2 loads. I am not trying to argue really, I am just trying to understand correctly. Dusting doesn't take long, but how often does anyone really polish, do baseboards, windows? I guess I am slow, it takes me way longer than that, but I do it during the week. I would not do it if I worked, but more power to anyone that does. My time off is way more important than any money I have to spend, but that is me, what others do is fine. I have friends that don't and I have friends that do. And unlike the other pp, I don't think that one is lazier than the other.

mookie
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I takes only 1 hour to wash bedding, wash walls and mop floors. I realized that this can be done while bedding is being washed, but it takes 40 minutes alone just to wash mine, and with my family it is at least 2 loads. I am not trying to argue really, I am just trying to understand correctly. Dusting doesn't take long, but how often does anyone really polish, do baseboards, windows? I guess I am slow, it takes me way longer than that, but I do it during the week. I would not do it if I worked, but more power to anyone that does. My time off is way more important than any money I have to spend, but that is me, what others do is fine. I have friends that don't and I have friends that do. And unlike the other pp, I don't think that one is lazier than the other.

Agreed. I have a decent sized house, and it takes my cleaning ladies (a team of 3 girls) about 3 1/2 hours to clean it when they do it. And I'm not messy or a slob, it's just the way that it is. It's a big house. If it takes them that long to do it, imagine how long it takes me with 3 kids thrown in the mix? And that is just the regular cleaning...we aren't talking the usual pick up/do laundry/etc, thrown on top of that. Well worth the money for my time, not for being "lazy." But again, that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

allison443
11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Hmmmmm. I don't have a cleaning lady. Can't afford it. wouldn't have one if I could. Do I care if someone else has one? No--spend your money how you want. The question was though--"was it manageable?"

I wanted to come in and put a few :lmao: and say "no we are just living in a pig sty' decided not to. But, the question just kills me! Of course its managable! You do what you have to do! Families have been working and cleaning for years without someone hired to do it for them, I don't think that it has suddenly become something people cannot do!
I work 40 hours a week, spend a minimum of 20 hours per week on school, take care of dd by myself throughout the week--cooking, washing clothes, running her to activities, etc. And on Saturday morning we get up and spend a couple of hours getting the house **** and span. And then enjoy the rest of our weekend. (we don't clean the baseboards on a weekly basis but really don't see the need either) Its just a matter of what you WANT to do.

OP, if you do not WANT to do without a cleaning lady--keep her. If you WANT to do it yourself--get rid of her. But, "is it managable?" Seriously?

I agree with the bolded part...asking is it "manageable" sounds like it's so hard to imagine doing without a cleaning service....we don't have one and believe me my house is clean...Millions of people have done this and still do it!;)
I will add that I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with having a cleaning service whether your work outside the home or stay at home. If you can afford it and want it, go ahead!
:)

DebMcDonald
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I was forced to get rid of mine about a year and a half ago when my husband got laid off and we've never gotten them back again. Is it managable - yes, does my house look as good - no way, but the extra money in my pocket is worth it.

princessmom29
11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
A daily routine is key.
My house is 1600 SF. There is only me. DH, and DD7. WE do pick up, dishes, ect every day. I spend AT LEAST an hour a day on these things, plus 3 hours minimum on the weekends doing floors, toilets, sinks, baseboards, toy room cleanup ect. Plus time spent in between loading, unloading adn folding laundry. That is WITH DH and DD's help. I just don't see how anyone could get by on 2.5 hours a week for everything with a family. Mabye a single in a studio apartment! Loading the diswasher alone takes at least 15 min. If you add the handwash pots and pans that is up to 30 min a night. I try to do a load of laundy every other night. Load, unload and fold is 30 min, even if you do something in between.
I would LOVE to have a cleaning lady, and am seriouly considering biting the bullet and paying for it. I have literally NO time left. I work 40+ hours a week, and DH works 60+. By the time we get home, get dinner, do homework, do dishes, get some cleaning/ laundy done it is time for bed. DH leaves the house at about 5:30 am and pulls in about 8 pm just in time for bath and bed for DD. I am left to handle ity all during the week becuase he is just not there. I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep if I stay up to get everything done. I spent most of Saturday deep cleaning. Sunday is church and get ready for the week agian. I don't think it would be a waste of money to buy myself a little less exhaustion.

momto2girls
11-29-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL! I always laugh when there are comments on this board that a topic isn't "budget" enough. We have a wide variety of incomes and budgets here, but that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't like to save money on things when they can.

I am a SAHM and I have cleaners come clean for me. My house is very large and I am not very efficient when I clean, so it would take me forever. Fortunately, paying for cleaners is not a hardship for us. It is worth it to my family because I would be super-stressed if I had to fit that into my schedule. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :rotfl:

Robinrs
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
:confused3 And to think I came to the budget board because the Comm Bd was too controversial...:laughing:

Cinderella94
11-29-2010, 03:47 PM
:confused3 And to think I came to the budget board because the Comm Bd was too controversial...:laughing:

:rotfl:

luvsJack
11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
My house is 1600 SF. There is only me. DH, and DD7. WE do pick up, dishes, ect every day. I spend AT LEAST an hour a day on these things, plus 3 hours minimum on the weekends doing floors, toilets, sinks, baseboards, toy room cleanup ect. Plus time spent in between loading, unloading adn folding laundry. That is WITH DH and DD's help. I just don't see how anyone could get by on 2.5 hours a week for everything with a family. Mabye a single in a studio apartment! Loading the diswasher alone takes at least 15 min. If you add the handwash pots and pans that is up to 30 min a night. I try to do a load of laundy every other night. Load, unload and fold is 30 min, even if you do something in between.
I would LOVE to have a cleaning lady, and am seriouly considering biting the bullet and paying for it. I have literally NO time left. I work 40+ hours a week, and DH works 60+. By the time we get home, get dinner, do homework, do dishes, get some cleaning/ laundy done it is time for bed. DH leaves the house at about 5:30 am and pulls in about 8 pm just in time for bath and bed for DD. I am left to handle ity all during the week becuase he is just not there. I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep if I stay up to get everything done. I spent most of Saturday deep cleaning. Sunday is church and get ready for the week agian. I don't think it would be a waste of money to buy myself a little less exhaustion.

30 minutes to wash dishes? It takes me 10 minutes tops. And the load of clothes maybe 10 minutes to fold and a couple of minutes to put in washer, a couple to switch to dryer. Not 30. I work every day, work on my online classes every day and work out 3 times a week and am here with just me and dd almost all week. Cleaning does not take all of my time. I don't really get what ya'll are doing that takes so long.

Saturday deeper cleaning is done in no time with dd's help and we have the rest of the weekend to do what we want. I spend nowhere near 3 hours every weekend. Now grant you, I do not scrub down the walls and clean carpets every Saturday, but do it when it needs it. Baseboards get dusted but not "cleaned" every week :confused3 what are you doing to them? I usually give them a swipe with the little brush on the vacuum. Doesn't take but a few minutes. You have one child, why is she not cleaning the toy room herself? I don't do dd's room.

If I could afford it, I don't think I would have a cleaning lady. I don't really like the idea of someone else in my home when I am not there and I would end up either cleaning before she comes or re-doing it after she leaves anyway.

If that is where you want to spend your money that is your choice, of course. I am just curious why it takes you so long to clean?

princessmom29
11-29-2010, 04:58 PM
30 minutes to wash dishes? It takes me 10 minutes tops. And the load of clothes maybe 10 minutes to fold and a couple of minutes to put in washer, a couple to switch to dryer. Not 30. I work every day, work on my online classes every day and work out 3 times a week and am here with just me and dd almost all week. Cleaning does not take all of my time. I don't really get what ya'll are doing that takes so long.

Saturday deeper cleaning is done in no time with dd's help and we have the rest of the weekend to do what we want. I spend nowhere near 3 hours every weekend. Now grant you, I do not scrub down the walls and clean carpets every Saturday, but do it when it needs it. Baseboards get dusted but not "cleaned" every week :confused3 what are you doing to them? I usually give them a swipe with the little brush on the vacuum. Doesn't take but a few minutes. You have one child, why is she not cleaning the toy room herself? I don't do dd's room.

If I could afford it, I don't think I would have a cleaning lady. I don't really like the idea of someone else in my home when I am not there and I would end up either cleaning before she comes or re-doing it after she leaves anyway.

If that is where you want to spend your money that is your choice, of course. I am just curious why it takes you so long to clean?
If you can do it, then more power to you, but it takes me more than 10 min to scrub the 2-3 pots plus a casserole dish that is typical of dinner dishes, dry them, and put them away, not to mention pre-rinsing all the other stuff for the dishwasher.
I scrub toilets, tubs, shower stalls, mirrors, sinks and counter tops, and sweep and mop the bathrooms, scrub the stove and sinks, sweep and mop the kitchen floor, wipe down baseboards,and window sills, vacum all the carpets, and spot clean with the steamer where needed. I also get all of the yard work when DH is working Saturdays, which has been every Saturday for the past 8 months with the exception of the one he took off for Disney. All this gets done every week. Deep clean tasks get rotated. These are things like hand scrubbing grout and resealing , steaming all the carpets, closet cleanouts, windows, washing down the exterior of the house, deep cleaning oven and dishwasher.There is usually at least one of these to be done. DD does help with the toy room, but at 7 she is not yet to the point where she does it all without any help. She also sets and clears the table, but I don't trust her to load the dishwasher yet. We average 4 loads of laundy a week, and much of it (DD's uniforms and DH's work clothes) needs ironing. It takes at least 30 min a load to wash fold, iron and put away.

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM

ok, I know this isn't directed at me but here goes.
It takes me longer, but I have 3 kids.plus a dog. They make a huge mess. One child is no where near the mess and work that 3 are.In fact one child is well not even worth mentioning, sorry been there done that. Again, I don't have a cleaning lady, I did once and it took her 3 hours to finish the entire house, she did the floor on her hands and knees.

Ok, I pick up and do laundry and vacuum when kids are at school. I also volunteer and run errands. They hit the door starting at 2:30, then homework help and all sorts of activities in 3 different directions, and most of them make dirt and more laundry, so I come home and cook dinner, I won't serve junk food. then clean up, even with the kids help by now it is pushing 8:30 Baths for the dirty kids, vacuum up sand and dirt brought in from dirty kids. At least 3 towel, they are nasty and we won't use them again, after all the dirt and sweat. Now they can do their nightly reading and finish homework. Sorry, after that I am done. I won't clean until 9 or 10 pm. The weekend, I have 4 sets of sheets to do, all at least queen size, so at least 3 loads, now factor in Cheerleading competitions that require you to be gone all day., sometime 3 soccer games and assorted laundry and dirt, Yep it takes WAY more than a few minutes here and 1 hour on the weekends. And I don't like to use what little free time I have to clean, but I do for now. I am not saying it can't be done, however to think that all I have to do is just dust a little and go over the floors with a duster and pickup is absurd. Way too many kids with way too many activities that cause a mess. And nope I wouldn't change it for anything, so this is my lot in life.

I sure hope that one day if I get a cleaning lady again, I won't be called lazy or spoiled. I would hate for it to become nasty and believe me it would.

princessmom29
11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
It takes me longer, but I have 3 kids.plus a dog. They make a huge mess. One child is no where near the mess and work that 3 are.In fact one child is well not even worth mentioning, sorry been there done that. Again, I don't have a cleaning lady, I did once and it took her 3 hours to finish the entire house, she did the floor on her hands and knees.

Ok, I pick up and do laundry and vacuum when kids are at school. I also volunteer and run errands. They hit the door starting at 2:30, then homework help and all sorts of activities in 3 different directions, and most of them make dirt and more laundry, so I come home and cook dinner, I won't serve junk food. then clean up, even with the kids help by now it is pushing 8:30 Baths for the dirty kids, vacuum up sand and dirt brought in from dirty kids. At least 3 towel, they are nasty and we won't use them again, after all the dirt and sweat. Now they can do their nightly reading and finish homework. Sorry, after that I am done. I won't clean until 9 or 10 pm. The weekend, I have 4 sets of sheets to do, all at least queen size, so at least 3 loads, now factor in Cheerleading competitions that require you to be gone all day., sometime 3 soccer games and assorted laundry and dirt, Yep it takes WAY more than a few minutes here and 1 hour on the weekends. And I don't like to use what little free time I have to clean, but I do for now. I am not saying it can't be done, however to think that all I have to do is just dust a little and go over the floors with a duster and pickup is absurd. Way too many kids with way too many activities that cause a mess. And nope I wouldn't change it for anything, so this is my lot in life.

I sure hope that one day if I get a cleaning lady again, I won't be called lazy or spoiled. I would hate for it to become nasty and believe me it would.
Well, I am the one with the one, hardly worth mentioning apparently, child and that actually sounds a lot like my life. DD dances 3 days a week for multiple hours, and we have a dog that adds to the mess. DD and her friends can do a number with all the in and out when they are over here playing.

mhsjax
11-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I am the one with the one, hardly worth mentioning apparently, child and that actually sounds a lot like my life. DD dances 3 days a week for multiple hours, and we have a dog that adds to the mess. DD and her friends can do a number with all the in and out when they are over here playing.

Hardly worth mentioning has nothing to do with her importance but everything to do with the mess that one child makes over 3 kids. So you do know about being gone and dealing with stuff also you are home so DD is home more, they make more of a mess when not in day care.

mookie
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM

:thumbsup2

Again....in my head! :rotfl:

I am by no means saying your dd is unimportant, either. But I am saying that I had NO IDEA how easy I had it with just one. And yes, it was easier. I didn't have a cleaning lady back then, either. But add two more kids in a short time span, plus all of the activities, dirt, etc that goes with them, and it does make it way harder to get things done in the short time you talk about. After they go to bed, I can fly around the house and get done in an hour what could take me all day without all the kids around, but yes, I'm spent, so I don't like doing that day in and day out. And I deserve "me time" too...dontchathink?

Which is why I choose the cleaning lady. I'm not saying I don't still have those late nights cleaning...I still do. But if I want to do what I can to make my life a bit easier on me, so my kids can have a happy mom rather than a frazzled one, I'm all for it.

momtosam
11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I had a cleaning person for a long time. We let her go to save money. It was "manageable" as the title of your thread says, but it was also "miserable." My job requires me to do work at home every night, which means I spent every weekend cleaning and going for groceries/errands. My DH and I agreed it was worth the $$ to have the cleaning lady back. What I did do, though, is explain to her that we are on a budget and could only afford $x.xx per visit. We worked out a deal for this amount that leaves out her cleaning a few rooms of the house. These few rooms are easy enough for me to keep up with. So maybe instead of quitting the cleaning lady altogether you might want to try to work out a deal.

princessmom29
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Hardly worth mentioning has nothing to do with her importance but everything to do with the mess that one child makes over 3 kids. So you do know about being gone and dealing with stuff also you are home so DD is home more, they make more of a mess when not in day care.
I teach so we are SAH during the summer. I do MUCH better when I am not at work all day. I have no problem getting it all done when I am home all day with just the one child, especially since she is past the "needy" stage. The problem comes in when we leave the house at 6 am and don't get back until 6:30 pm, and THEN I have to get it all done. I imagine it would be harder with more children, but my point was that having only one child doesn't make it a cake walk. Sometimes circumstances make a difference.

nicki.momof3
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
If you can do it, then more power to you, but it takes me more than 10 min to scrub the 2-3 pots plus a casserole dish that is typical of dinner dishes, dry them, and put them away, not to mention pre-rinsing all the other stuff for the dishwasher.

I have to agree with you. I work full time and when I get home I make my family a homemade meal. It usually involves 2-3 pans / pots and something in the oven. Washing / drying / putting away the large stuff by hand and pre-rinsing the smaller stuff for the dishwasher takes more than 10 mintes if done well. I also frequentlly have a "little helper" (child under 5) helping so it take double as long.

If I was simply sticking a processed one pan meal into the over and serving on paper plates it would only take 10 minutes but that is not how I choose to feed my family.

Once dinner is done it is very important that I also clean the table and all cooking surfaces with a cleaner (keeps the kitchen cleaner and everyone healthy).

Planogirl
11-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Plus one kid can be messier than another kid. Our only son is very messy but it's up to him to deal with his room.

I've never had a housekeeper but good for you that do! We all value different things and having someone besides me clean my house is of no importance to me. It's also not in the budget but that is mainly because I don't think it's worth it.

By the way, I don't serve processed food (too much) or use paper plates. Plus I wash everything by hand.

DVCLiz
11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I just timed myself. I washed two pots - not very dirty - and a handful of other small items, rinsed them all and put them in the dish drainer to air dry. I unloaded the dishwasher - not very full since I've been using the clean dishes from it all weekend (lazy!) - and reloaded and started it. I put a few things away and wiped down two countertops.

It took me 22 minutes. I put a dirty pot in some soapy hot water to soak - if I'd scrubbed it I probably would have been closer to 30 minutes.

For the record, I am a single parent SAHM of a DD16 and I have household help twice a week - 3 hours two days a week. That's down from 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. I love my cleaning lady and I'd give up a lot before I'd let her go. I did cut her back this year because I didn't need as much done around the house. She does all my laundry, including ironing - if I did that myself and/or sent things to the laundry I could get by with one day a week.

Of course anyone can clean her own house - it's not rocket science. It's just a question of whether you want to do it yourself or spend the money to pay someone else to do it. I don't see why it should be a judgement call unless you are spending money you can't afford.

Anyway, tomorrow when the cleaning lady is here I'm going to fix a Diet Coke, prop my feet up and watch TV while she cleans. And I'm going to think about the poster who said I was lazy and not give a damn!:rotfl:

mookie
11-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Anyway, tomorrow when the cleaning lady is here I'm going to fix a Diet Coke, prop my feet up and watch TV while she cleans. And I'm going to think about the poster who said I was lazy and not give a damn!:rotfl:

:worship:

:rotfl2:

luvsJack
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Seriously ya'll, I really do not care if you have a cleaning lady or not and I certainly do not think anyone is lazy (and most definitily not stupid) if they have one. Just not something I find important but whatever makes you happy, ya know?

I must say though, I was thinking of this thread earlier and couldn't help but laugh. Here we are all talking about lack of time and yet here we all are on the dis. . . hmmmmmm. :rotfl:

I must defend myself though. I don't serve junk either but neither am I out picking the veggies right before I cook them. Just a happy medium. A lot of crock pot meals--but homemade with lots of nutrition, bread with all meals and a yummy salad. And we don't use paper plates nor a dishwaher. I wash dishes as I go and by the time we get finished eating, I only have our plates, glasses and silverware (the number depends on whether its just me and dd or one of my sons and their wife has come over or dh is home). The food is in serving bowls which get covered and placed in the fridge--unless they are empty of course. Everyone in the house knows that the sink has hot soapy water in it, and to rake out their plate and put it in the water--so I don't have to retrieve any of the dishes, all are there and ready to be washed.

I only have one child at home now, but I also have two sons and at one time another young boy lived with us for a few years--so I have been there with three at one time. And you are right, it is more work there is no denying that; but that doesn't mean that only child is easy peasy either. I do a LOT of running around for activities and such too. And have found that preteen girls=LOADS of washing (which she has recently started doing herself).

And with so much school work of my own, I have learned to work very fast so that I have more time for that--which is what I should be doing right now!!

enjoy your cleaning lady tomorrow, DCVLiz! :)

bunny
11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
To the OP, it is definitely manageable especially if your husband is willing to help you. The key is to remain organized and on a schedule.

For most people having a cleaning lady is a luxury not a neccesity. No matter how much people protest otherwise, millions of people working or staying at home manage just fine without one. It is just a matter of financial priorities.

Try it for a few months and if you hate it or find it too overwhelming hire your cleaning person back.

I do find it ridiculous though people who claim that can't clean when they don't have jobs outside of the home. Don't your children take naps? Can't you stay home from one lunch date? At least be honest about why you have a cleaning lady. Bottom line- you don't want to do it yourself and you can afford to pay someone else to do it.

dixonismydog
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
OP.....I say if you can afford it, keep the cleaning people and spend the extra time with your family! Life is short..........

bunny
11-29-2010, 09:52 PM
OP.....I say if you can afford it, keep the cleaning people and spend the extra time with your family! Life is short..........

That is one of the reasons a lot of people in our country are financially struggling right now. Yes, sometimes life is short and sometimes it is really long. When it is long, it sucks to spend your last few years in a crappy nursing home because you are out of money. You may look back at age 90 and think what wouldn't you give for the $250,000 you paid your 2x a month cleaning lady for the last 50 years!

princesspeach
11-29-2010, 10:24 PM
That is one of the reasons a lot of people in our country are financially struggling right now. Yes, sometimes life is short and sometimes it is really long. When it is long, it sucks to spend your last few years in a crappy nursing home because you are out of money. You may look back at age 90 and think what wouldn't you give for the $250,000 you paid your 2x a month cleaning lady for the last 50 years!

That is the most ridiculous post I have ever read. I pay my cleaning lady about 1700 a year. Where in the world do you get 250,000 in 50 years. I assume you go to disney since you are on this board. Maybe you should stop wasting your money on disney trips so you can afford a nice nursing home. I don't mean to insult you, but I think you have a bit of class envy or some thing I am not sure. That post made no sense. If I live to age 90 and am in a nursing home. I just hope I can remember what my name is. I doubt I will regret that I enjoyed my life when I was young and healthy.

brittsmum1998
11-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Really? There could be a bus out there with my name on it tomorrow. As I'm going to that big casino in the sky I may be glad I didn't spend all of my life cleaning ;)

One never knows, and life is short. Have to enjoy it while you can. If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure, why not?

I personally feel that I am a good wife/ mother (not perfect by all means) cleaning is my gift to myself and I deserve it. Thats all that matters.

pearlieq
11-29-2010, 11:31 PM

I'm assuming then that you live in someone's basement and do housework exchange for rent. And that you live on no more than 1500 calories worth of dried beans every day. And wear only trash-picked clothing. Because of course there's no such thing as too much savings! You may need that money someday.

I kind of wonder what you're doing on a Disney board. Don't you think you're going to be lying in your nursing home ruing every dollar you spend on that?

Planogirl
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
It does seem kind of funny to see all of this talk about having a cleaning lady on a budget board. Having someone else clean is a luxury and I certainly see nothing wrong with it if it floats your boat. But it doesn't seem to conjure up the word "budget" for me.

mafibisha
11-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm not going to express an opinion, because no one really cares what I think anyway! :lmao:

However, I would sincerely like to know what y'all consider deep cleaning?

Regardless who does the cleaning (professionals or we the home owner) what all is involved in deep cleaning?

Planogirl
11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not going to express an opinion, because no one really cares what I think anyway! :lmao:

Regardless who does the cleaning (professionals or we the home owner) what all is involved in deep cleaning?
To me it involves things that you wouldn't do on a daily or weekly basis like shampooing the carpet, washing the blinds and windows, cleaning the fridge and so on. Regular cleaning would be vacuuming and scrubbing the bathroom, dusting and so on.

Pea-n-Me
11-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I don't think anyone should have to justify their choice to have a cleaning person, regardless of whether they work out of the home or not. :confused3

A few people mentioned what I was thinking as well...

... Not ironic discussing it on a Budget Board, but ironic discussing it on a Budget Board on a Disney site. Ha! :lmao: (Speaking of luxuries!)

I also think that you can still be frugal/budget minded and do things like have a cleaning person or go to Disney. It's all about choices, and what we choose to spend our money on.

Anyway...

One thing that helps me is that I am very careful about what I buy or put out. For example, if it can't be put in the dishwasher it isn't on my kitchen counters. One trash can under the kitchen sink so I'm not running around all over the house emptying various other trash cans. Leather couches and chairs for the most part. Washable bed coverings. Tile in all the bathrooms, downstairs hall, kitchen, laundryroom, and main eating area. Very few knickknacks. Throwing out most of the mail before it ever comes into the house. No shoes inside. Certain things done every day, just to stay on top...beds made, always at least one load of laundry, all dishes in the dishwasher and washed and unloaded at least once a day, all sinks scoured at least once a day, bathroom and kitchen counters wiped down, all toilets have bleach tablets to keep them ok between cleanings, trash taken out 2-3 times a day, and an everything has a place policy.
You're maybe a bit more extreme than I am, ;) but this is an excellent post.

I began having a bi-monthly cleaner when kids were little, but having less of a need now, I don't anymore. I think it was money well spent as it allowed me to have more time with the kids without being stressed out. I don't regret it at all.

As for managing now, I find that having everyone keep up with these "little things" like those listed above are key to keeping things under control. I try to keep things uncluttered and neat, do quick wipedowns and straightening out as needed, and I might pick one room at a time here and there to dust and/or deeper clean rather than to try to take up a whole day doing it all at once. I bought some new cleaning equipment to make it easier (a cannister vac, Swiffer duster and mop, cleaning wipes, etc) and that has worked out well. I know it's strange, but I actually enjoy cleaning my house. (After taking care of kids and sick patients all week, it's rather relaxing. I put on some nice music and enjoy the quiet and solitude of cleaning at my own pace. :) )

One of the best things DH and I ever did was last year take a Feng Shui class. It helped us put clutter into perspective and launched us into a still-ongoing attempt to clear out the entire house of it (:scared1: ). Once the clutter is gone and the house is neat and organized, it's actually pretty easy to keep surfaces clean. (I guess I can only speak for myself, but this has been my experience).

beaucoup
11-30-2010, 12:39 AM
I could use a cleaning person when DH is home. He causes a lot of work for me. ;)

I cleaned before Thanksgiving company. I cleaned again on Friday after everyone left. We weren't even home most of Saturday. Then how the heck did it look like the place exploded on Sunday morning? :rotfl:

mamaLori05
11-30-2010, 03:01 AM

A daily routine is key.

I think the difference here is that you are gone most of the day, and possibly a difference in house size. Those same chores you mentioned above take me MUCH MUCH longer, but the kids and I are also home all day, which is bound to create more of mess. The daily chores (vacuuming, putting the toys etc away, dishes, wiping off the counters, laundry, take me a total of about 2 hours a day (usually spread out througout the day). The weekend deep cleaning (washing the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, more vacuuming, more laundry because it is never ending, dusting, etc.. take me at LEAST 5-6 hours to complete! Today alone just cleaning the downstairs (the bathroom, cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming and washing all the floors, cleaning the living room and dusting took me 4 hours, and I didn't even get to touch the playroom where the kids played while I cleaned (or the upstairs for that matter)!!! I probably spend roughly 15-16 hours a week cleaning :scared1:.

mamaLori05
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
I could use a cleaning person when DH is home. He causes a lot of work for me. ;)

I cleaned before Thanksgiving company. I cleaned again on Friday after everyone left. We weren't even home most of Saturday. Then how the heck did it look like the place exploded on Sunday morning? :rotfl:

OMG!! I was saying the EXACT same thing this weekend! :rotfl2: I think it took the kids (dh included) about 3 minutes to destroy the hours I spent cleaning, AND WE WERE BARELY HOME!!!!! Glad to hear it's not just our family! :rotfl:

dixonismydog
11-30-2010, 04:12 AM

Really.....I see it through totally different eyes I guess! The OP says it isn't something they can't afford, so I assume they have put money aside for their retirement. Many years from now, she'll be sitting in the nursing home, recalling all of the great memories she has of her family and the times they spent together.;)

I have a cleaning lady, for exactly that reason. I hate to clean but I feel it is important to have a clean, healthy home. I just don't want to do it and would rather take the kids hiking or swimming and have someone else do it! :) So, one thing that we cut out is dining......either fast food or a sit down restaurant. Eating out for us is a luxury. Perhaps once every 2 months we eat out as a family. This also includes fast food. We all prioritize differently I guess.:confused3

descovy
11-30-2010, 05:50 AM
It does seem kind of funny to see all of this talk about having a cleaning lady on a budget board. Having someone else clean is a luxury and I certainly see nothing wrong with it if it floats your boat. But it doesn't seem to conjure up the word "budget" for me.

Just browsed the first page of the budget board. People are asking advice for getting iPod Touches, iPads, Kindles, American Girl, X-Box, Wii, Build A Bear, Blu-Rays, Uggs... I could go through older pages and find more and more of the same kind of posts.

Aren't those luxuries too?

I go through posts looking for information about maybe getting my daughter ONE American Girl Doll. Pricey for my budget, but folks here by their DD several $100 dolls AND accessories, AND spend $500 at Christmas AND go on pricey Disney Vacations every year.

That's okay? That's "Budget"? But a cleaning lady is not?

If you are looking for a Frugal-only forum, I suggest "Frugal Living" on City-Data.com. No snark intended, really.

But if you're asking for only tightwad tips in a DISNEY forum, you are in the wrong place. The Budget Board hasn't been a "frugal-only place" in the years I've been on it!

luvsJack
11-30-2010, 06:13 AM
I think the difference here is that you are gone most of the day, and possibly a difference in house size. Those same chores you mentioned above take me MUCH MUCH longer, but the kids and I are also home all day, which is bound to create more of mess. The daily chores (vacuuming, putting the toys etc away, dishes, wiping off the counters, laundry, take me a total of about 2 hours a day (usually spread out througout the day). The weekend deep cleaning (washing the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, more vacuuming, more laundry because it is never ending, dusting, etc.. take me at LEAST 5-6 hours to complete! Today alone just cleaning the downstairs (the bathroom, cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming and washing all the floors, cleaning the living room and dusting took me 4 hours, and I didn't even get to touch the playroom where the kids played while I cleaned (or the upstairs for that matter)!!! I probably spend roughly 15-16 hours a week cleaning :scared1:.

It used to be that it was the working outside the home mom that needed cleaning help but now its the sahm?? :rotfl: Not laughing that a sahm might need help but just the change in justification.

Everyone is going to justify why they need or don't need a cleaning lady.

I have been a stay at home mom (two/three little ones), sahm keeping a couple of extra kids some days (2/5 little ones including mine) and I have worked with anywhere from 1-3 kids at home. None of it is easy, but I did have more time for the "deep" cleaning when I was sah. I also was able to clean, go to the park, or whatever with the kids and cook. Of course they make a mess and then we say "ok, time to clean up" and everyone cleans up the mess. Maybe that is part of it, I was happy with "everyone clean up" and if toy A got put where toy B goes--its all good, its not on the floor, kwim? Some people can't let it go that way.

If I had a cleaning lady, I am sure I would suddenly find that I don't have the extra time I thought I would. I would probably be saying "How on earth would I keep the house clean without her". But, since for some of us its just not an option, we do it ourselves and still have the extra time, too.

SaraJayne
11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Really.....I see it through totally different eyes I guess! The OP says it isn't something they can't afford, so I assume they have put money aside for their retirement. Many years from now, she'll be sitting in the nursing home, recalling all of the great memories she has of her family and the times they spent together.;)

I have a cleaning lady, for exactly that reason. I hate to clean but I feel it is important to have a clean, healthy home. I just don't want to do it and would rather take the kids hiking or swimming and have someone else do it! :) So, one thing that we cut out is dining......either fast food or a sit down restaurant. Eating out for us is a luxury. Perhaps once every 2 months we eat out as a family. This also includes fast food. We all prioritize differently I guess.:confused3

You make it sound like families that don't have people that clean/do laundry/yardwork for them do nothing but watch Mom slave away at chores, all day, every day. :rotfl:

Not hardly. :laughing:

mafibisha
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM

To me it involves things that you wouldn't do on a daily or weekly basis like shampooing the carpet, washing the blinds and windows, cleaning the fridge and so on. Regular cleaning would be vacuuming and scrubbing the bathroom, dusting and so on.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. But then again maybe not, is that the deep cleaning that some people do weekly?
(I'm lucky to do that once a ......?! :scared1: !!!)

I'd really like to know because something tells me I don't do it enough . . . :headache:

graygables
11-30-2010, 07:37 AM

I think I have hit on the crux of it, at least for me. I don't want my 4 DDs growing up with the belief that they don't have to clean their own homes. I don't want them marrying a man who thinks that they have to have someone else do the cleaning in order for them to find some elusive happiness b/c that's what he saw modeled in his own home growing up.

We have to work. That's part of life. Work includes that we do which earns us money and it includes that we do which maintains our space. I also am seeing a trend of possibly over-scheduled kids and people putting too much pressure on themselves to somehow "keep up" causing "stress". I just don't understand how cleaning one's own living space causes "stress". It's part of being human unless one chooses to live in squalor. Cleaning is simply a fact of life.

I grew up in a time where having a cleaning "staff" (I'd call more than 1 a "staff") was something for spoiled, rich people who had "more money than sense". It was for people who were above the rest of us minions who had to clean our own floors and dishes and clothes. It was for people who believed their time was somehow more valuable than the rest of us and didn't have to put in a real day's work. I'm not at all saying that's how it is NOW, but when I was growing up, that was the reality. Everyday, ordinary people cleaned their own homes and NO ONE had a cleaning lady (this was also rebounding from the "housekeepers" of the 40s/50s and desegregation). Cleaning staff = Elitist.

I think many people who come to this board think of it more as a "frugal living" board rather than budgeting what you have, regardless of how much that is. And, I would guess that a lot are in my generation with the same impressions that I mentioned above which is why we are a bit shocked at so many people who hire their houses to be cleaned. I can't do it. I simply cannot hand my hard-earned money over to someone else to do what I can do myself. I can't. Because of that, I've learned to budget my time wisely (and that includes "fun" time for me and DDs) and I can still get my house clean on my own. The OP asked if it was "manageable" and the answer is ABSOLUTELY.

descovy
11-30-2010, 07:47 AM
I think I have hit on the crux of it, at least for me. I don't want my 4 DDs growing up with the belief that they don't have to clean their own homes. I don't want them marrying a man who thinks that they have to have someone else do the cleaning in order for them to find some elusive happiness b/c that's what he saw modeled in his own home growing up.

We have to work. That's part of life. Work includes that we do which earns us money and it includes that we do which maintains our space. I also am seeing a trend of possibly over-scheduled kids and people putting too much pressure on themselves to somehow "keep up" causing "stress". I just don't understand how cleaning one's own living space causes "stress". It's part of being human unless one chooses to live in squalor. Cleaning is simply a fact of life.

I grew up in a time where having a cleaning "staff" (I'd call more than 1 a "staff") was something for spoiled, rich people who had "more money than sense". It was for people who were above the rest of us minions who had to clean our own floors and dishes and clothes. It was for people who believed their time was somehow more valuable than the rest of us and didn't have to put in a real day's work. I'm not at all saying that's how it is NOW, but when I was growing up, that was the reality. Everyday, ordinary people cleaned their own homes and NO ONE had a cleaning lady (this was also rebounding from the "housekeepers" of the 40s/50s and desegregation). Cleaning staff = Elitist.

I think many people who come to this board think of it more as a "frugal living" board rather than budgeting what you have, regardless of how much that is. And, I would guess that a lot are in my generation with the same impressions that I mentioned above which is why we are a bit shocked at so many people who hire their houses to be cleaned. I can't do it. I simply cannot hand my hard-earned money over to someone else to do what I can do myself. I can't. Because of that, I've learned to budget my time wisely (and that includes "fun" time for me and DDs) and I can still get my house clean on my own. The OP asked if it was "manageable" and the answer is ABSOLUTELY.

See, as I posted earlier, a good part of the Budget threads have NOTHING to do about being frugal. American Girl, Wii, etc., etc., If anything, it has more to do with SPENDING money around here than SAVING money.

How many threads here are about shopping... post your black friday finds, pass along a free shipping code, where can I get a good price on a gadget, BUY, BUY, BUY. What would make anyone think this board is about "frugal"?

dixonismydog
11-30-2010, 07:58 AM
You make it sound like families that don't have people that clean/do laundry/yardwork for them do nothing but watch Mom slave away at chores, all day, every day. :rotfl:

Not at all. I admire those of you that can clean. I just personally hate it. Hate everything about it! I have friends and my Mom, that actually enjoy some aspects it. I kind of envy them in a way!;) I would just personally go without other things (me personally....new clothes, shoes, etc....) to pay for my cleaning lady. Which is only $50 every other week by the way..........

mhsjax
11-30-2010, 08:04 AM

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, except for that part about it being managable, it is. Now, I don't care if anyone has a cleaning lady or not. It isn't my business and I just frankly have other things to worry about but, I knew many people growing up that had a cleaning lady that came in maybe every other week(like I did) or even once a month to do heavy stuff. I didn't grow up rich at all, but very middle class.

We all have things that we can't turn our hard earned money to. I hate to go out to dinner, ever, way to expensive, frankly, my cleaning lady was cheaper that a couple of dinners our for the 5 of us. There are things that people buy here on the dis boards, that I would never dream of. That is ok, we all have different wants. As far as my kids thinking they don't have to clean, I will say it for the 100th time, if you have someone come in and clean every other week, or even once a week, and you have kids. You still have to clean a little and pick up. do you really thing that just because someone comes in and cleans that you don't have to lift a finger?

On the over scheduled thing, it can be true. We are going at least 3 nights now and it will increase to 4 nights in March. My kids aren't over schedules, but we have 3, 1 had 2 things, they go hand in hand , the other 2 have 1 thing but on multiple nights and frankly these nights always seem to collide with each other. So what may seem like over scheduling isn't. My kids love
their activities and it keeps them motivated to get homework done on time and it gives them a sense of responsibility, if they don't show, the rest suffer. So I am teaching my kids time management, and responsibility. Not to mention, even when I did have my cleaning lady, we still picked up, did laundry, wiped down bathrooms, cleaned the kitchen every night, that includes sweeping and or vacuuming the kitchen and eating area. Ok, I think I covered everything. If you don't want or think a cleaning person is a good idea financially fine, but please don't imply that those of us that do are not teaching our kids that they don't have to clean or do anything , you couldn't be farther from the truth.

descovy
I am frugal in other ways, but I do choose to have a twice monthly housecleaner.

If money were tight, that would be the first to go.

But don't think I or my kids don't have to do chores! :rotfl2: From the sounds of things, my kids age 6,8,10 have the same if not more chores than their friends.

Every morning, they make their beds and pick up their rooms. I wash laundry, I'll fold it if it's a school day, but if they are here, they fold it. They are responsible for putting it away after school.

In the morning they make their lunches together and are expected to clean up the mess behind them. They routinely help clean counters, sweep, mop, vaccuum, do dishes. The endless "kid clutter" is their responsibility to pick up after.

And on the night before the housecleaner comes, the whole family pitches in for a final sweep through the house to clean up clutter, put things away etc... Because the housecleaner does not need to spend her time washing our dishes, picking up our towels, sorting our piles of mail.

Having her come twice a month ,means I need to keep up on my clutter. I can't just leave things lying around until lord knows when. And while I am guaranteed clean floors, clean stove, clean toilet, etc... twice a month, it's not like I don't have to pick up after all of us the rest on the time. And it certainly isn't like my kids are expected to chip in, either.

Certainly I have lived life without a housecleaner. And I could again. But I tell you straight up, my house was never as picked up (clutter) and never cleaned as often. Call me lazy, but that's the truth. Having a housecleaner MAKES me declutter and focus on keeping up on the mess.

dixonismydog

OH I WORK!!!! Make NOOOOO mistake about that!!!!!!!!!!!:confused3Just because I choose not to clean my own house doesn't make me lazy...if that is what you are implying....which I'm sure it can't be!!
And cleaning is a fact of life...it's just service that I am happy to pay for. Personal preference. My husband can change the oil in our cars too, if he so desired. By choice, it's a service he would rather pay for.
I can cut my own hair as well.......but that is also a service that I will happily pay for! The list goes on and on..........

Pea-n-Me
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd like to address this. (I'm going to use the generic "I" but I know you were not directing your comments to me or anyone in particular.)

It's assuming that she did all the work and I did nothing, which wasn't the case at all. I still cleaned every day as well, just not to the degree that I would have had to had I not hired her to "help", and just as I pay other people to help when I deem it appropriate (and just as we DIY as well). My kids know I value a clean, neat home and I'm willing to sacrifice other things when necessary to get and keep it. (And they know I'm frugal as well.) And as I said before, I no longer hire a cleaner because my kids are older and I feel I can (and enjoy) doing the work without hired help. But that also means my kids have to pitch in more now as well. :) Sometimes it's easier to do things myself, but I want them to know and appreciate what goes into keeping a house clean, so they're helping with chores on a daily basis as well (not that they weren't before, just perhaps to a lesser degree then - both because of their age and because we had help).

Having a cleaner doesn't necessarily mean you don't have to clean. :laundy: It means you made a choice. And we all love choices, don't we? :rotfl2:

DVCLiz
11-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Seriously ya'll, I really do not care if you have a cleaning lady or not and I certainly do not think anyone is lazy (and most definitily not stupid) if they have one. Just not something I find important but whatever makes you happy, ya know?

enjoy your cleaning lady tomorrow, DCVLiz! :)
I wasn't referring to you, luvsJack;)

My cleaning lady and I have been to town this morning. She helped me carry a rug out to the garage, carry the artificial tree inside, help set it up, clean all the baseboards, carpets, etc. in the sunroom where the Christmas tree will stand, and put away the Thanksgiving decorations upstairs. We have been an efficient team this morning. I emptied the dishwasher and reloaded it before she came.

That is what I find most useful about having somebody to help clean - she is another adult I can count on. When you don't have your husband to work with it is a real convenience to know that you have that sort of help available to you, even if you have to pay for it.

Wow - that's a lot of cultural weight to assign to somebody who mops and changes the sheets a couple of times a month!

If you think you can't raise your daughters the way you want to if you have any household help, then you are wise never to hire any. I am curious, though - if one of them ends up having a cleaning lady or marrying someone who did, how will you react? I can't imagine caring about this as an issue in my adult child's life. Nor do I see it as setting her up for some disappointment if she chooses not to or can't afford a maid. I think she'll cope just fine either way.

punkin
11-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I do not currently have a cleaning service (I did when DDs were little and I worked). I am just a little bit envious of those who do. It was a huge help to me when I did it. Currently I choose to budget my money and my time differently. I think it is a personal choice.

When youngest DD was a baby and I became a SAHM, I literally could not manage to clean my (then) huge 6 BR house, complete with slobbery, sheddy St. Bernard, and a DH who worked ALL the time and traveled. My current situation is a small 4 BR house with one DD in college, one DD in middle school (able to help me clean), and a small English Springer Spaniel. My DH is home most evenings at a half-way decent time and occasionally (after much nagging) will even help me clean. Now I "manage" with no problem, but I would still like a cleaning service, just not enough to give my other "wants".

I will mention that different people have different ideas about what constitutes "clean" and what exactly "deep cleaning" is. IMO, "deep cleaning" involves moving appliances and polishing the silver. I just did a real deep clean before Thanksgiving. My house is now again, what I consider pretty messy, but what my MIL would consider perfectly fine and "lived in".

Robinrs
11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
No, but I did let the butler and chauffeur go. :rotfl2:

:laughing: FUNNIEST LINE EVER!!!! :laughing:

Planogirl
11-30-2010, 11:00 AM
:laughing: FUNNIEST LINE EVER!!!! :laughing:
I agree. :rotfl:

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with having a cleaning person if that's what you want. In my world, it's a luxury while an XBox is a necessity. See how that is? ;)

In fairness for a cleaning person to be a budget board item, we should discuss the best make and model of said cleaning person and how to get a discount. (I kiddd!)

mookie
11-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi ALL! I'm baaaaackkkk.....(actually, I did have to take time off the DIS boards. I was running errands, taking my son to hockey and guess what? CLEANING FOR THE CLEANING LADIES!!!! :lmao:)

:sad2:

So sad that you choose to live your life for those few years at the end. Are you saying because I have a cleaning service means I don't know how to plan for my future, either? Ridiculous.

Just browsed the first page of the budget board. People are asking advice for getting iPod Touches, iPads, Kindles, American Girl, X-Box, Wii, Build A Bear, Blu-Rays, Uggs... I could go through older pages and find more and more of the same kind of posts.

Aren't those luxuries too?

I go through posts looking for information about maybe getting my daughter ONE American Girl Doll. Pricey for my budget, but folks here by their DD several $100 dolls AND accessories, AND spend $500 at Christmas AND go on pricey Disney Vacations every year.

That's okay? That's "Budget"? But a cleaning lady is not?

If you are looking for a Frugal-only forum, I suggest "Frugal Living" on City-Data.com. No snark intended, really.

But if you're asking for only tightwad tips in a DISNEY forum, you are in the wrong place. The Budget Board hasn't been a "frugal-only place" in the years I've been on it!

:thumbsup2

SaraJayne, I know by now that we should just agree to disagree. However, I just have to say, that this is definitely off. Yes, my kids watch me turn circles around them, all day, every day. From the moment they get up until when they go to bed. I am queen of multi tasking, and you will never see me in front of the TV durning the day. Even when I'm folding laundry, I'm on the phone with the ins company for DS's coverage for his special needs (which, is a lovely task that takes up way too much time.) or teaching my kids how to sort socks, by color, counting, etc. All of my kids have jobs, but yes, they don't always do it the way I would like, and that's my own thing. So while I do have them help, I do end up "perfecting" the job after they are done. Again, my own fault, and my own thing. But yes, my kids do not EVER see me just sitting around. There is always SOMETHING in this house that can be done. Organizing, cleaning, laundry, dishes, making meals. There is never NOTHING to do. So yes, my kids do see me doing work all the time. I'm a SAHM, and it's my job. But every once in awhile, if you are working overtime, all the time, you call in the troops...and for me, that's my cleaning lady.

I'd like to think I'm a lot less snarky today than I was yesterday, so I'm going to try to keep this nice. While I understand what you are saying about the "generation gap," I can also tell you it's a load of crud. I know this because my mother, who never had a cleaning lady, (actually, she shunned them and had the same opinion as you about others who hired them) was the cleanest woman you ever met. When I got married, had kids, and got my own cleaning lady, she thought I was crazy. Then, she threw her back out. I sent her my cleaning team, and she fell in love. She didn't realize what she was missing. Now, she is the BIGGEST advocate for a cleaning team, and has kept them on even after she's been fully healed. At one point, I was thinking of cancelling my team and trying it on my own, she THEN told me I was CRAZY if I cancelled them! So yes, while you say it's a "generation thing," just know that people from "your generation" can turn to the dark side and see the light, too.

And speaking of....doesn't that kind of blow your theory on what she taught me? She was the above person you speak of "by the book." Thinking that hiring a service would send a bad message to her children. Guess what?! Not only did it not work with me because I still got a service, but it didn't work for her, either, because she got one too!!!!!!

I am frugal in other ways, but I do choose to have a twice monthly housecleaner.

If money were tight, that would be the first to go.

But don't think I or my kids don't have to do chores! :rotfl2: From the sounds of things, my kids age 6,8,10 have the same if not more chores than their friends.

Every morning, they make their beds and pick up their rooms. I wash laundry, I'll fold it if it's a school day, but if they are here, they fold it. They are responsible for putting it away after school.

In the morning they make their lunches together and are expected to clean up the mess behind them. They routinely help clean counters, sweep, mop, vaccuum, do dishes. The endless "kid clutter" is their responsibility to pick up after.

And on the night before the housecleaner comes, the whole family pitches in for a final sweep through the house to clean up clutter, put things away etc... Because the housecleaner does not need to spend her time washing our dishes, picking up our towels, sorting our piles of mail.

Having her come twice a month ,means I need to keep up on my clutter. I can't just leave things lying around until lord knows when. And while I am guaranteed clean floors, clean stove, clean toilet, etc... twice a month, it's not like I don't have to pick up after all of us the rest on the time. And it certainly isn't like my kids are expected to chip in, either.

Certainly I have lived life without a housecleaner. And I could again. But I tell you straight up, my house was never as picked up (clutter) and never cleaned as often. Call me lazy, but that's the truth. Having a housecleaner MAKES me declutter and focus on keeping up on the mess.

This, this, and THIS! :thumbsup2

mookie
11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree. :rotfl:

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with having a cleaning person if that's what you want. In my world, it's a luxury while an XBox is a necessity. See how that is? ;)

In fairness for a cleaning person to be a budget board item, we should discuss the best make and model of said cleaning person and how to get a discount. (I kiddd!)

If you find the magic answer for the perfect make, model and price...let me know!!

and PS....A Wii is also a necessity in this house...does that make me DOUBLY bad? :rolleyes1

mizzoutiger76
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM

This is exactly why I would love to have a cleaning crew come in, even just once a month, if we could afford it. I spend most of my free time cleaning up after my tornadoes :laughing: that I hardly have the energy to do the deep cleaning.

We live in a small duplex with all hardwood floors and by the time I've picked up, moved everything, swept, mopped it takes me 3 hours :headache:

Plus, I just hate cleaning :rotfl:

JamesMom
11-30-2010, 01:38 PM

LOL - this is why we don't have a maid service. The house would look great for about an hour and then I would need her back. It is a daily effort to keep the house up. Now if I had a live-in maid like my grandmother who cleaned, iron and cooked, that would the life, lol. Reminded me of the book the 'The Help" - that was so my grandmothers era.

mamaLori05
11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
It used to be that it was the working outside the home mom that needed cleaning help but now its the sahm?? :rotfl: Not laughing that a sahm might need help but just the change in justification.

Everyone is going to justify why they need or don't need a cleaning lady.

I have been a stay at home mom (two/three little ones), sahm keeping a couple of extra kids some days (2/5 little ones including mine) and I have worked with anywhere from 1-3 kids at home. None of it is easy, but I did have more time for the "deep" cleaning when I was sah. I also was able to clean, go to the park, or whatever with the kids and cook. Of course they make a mess and then we say "ok, time to clean up" and everyone cleans up the mess. Maybe that is part of it, I was happy with "everyone clean up" and if toy A got put where toy B goes--its all good, its not on the floor, kwim? Some people can't let it go that way.

If I had a cleaning lady, I am sure I would suddenly find that I don't have the extra time I thought I would. I would probably be saying "How on earth would I keep the house clean without her". But, since for some of us its just not an option, we do it ourselves and still have the extra time, too.

No need to get snarky, I don't have a cleaning lady. Do I think SAHP's NEED a cleaning lady, no, would it be nice, YES!! However that wasn't the point I was trying to make with my post. My point was that someone was saying it only takes them 2.5 hours a week to clean their house total, and didn't understand how it could take someone longer. Well, if you are never home to make a mess, or have a smaller house, then it's not going to take you long at all. I was simply trying to say that when you are home all day with multiple kids, 2.5 hours is not going to cut it, at least not in my house.

mookie
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
No need to get snarky, I don't have a cleaning lady. Do I think SAHP's NEED a cleaning lady, no, would it be nice, YES!! However that wasn't the point I was trying to make with my post. My point was that someone was saying it only takes them 1.5 hours a week to clean their house total, and didn't understand how it could take someone longer. Well, if you are never home to make a mess, or have a smaller house, then it's not going to take you long at all. I was simply trying to say that when you are home all day with multiple kids, 1.5 hours is not going to cut it, at least not in my house.

LuvsJack and I have opposite points on this topic, but I don't think she meant to be snarky. I am a SAHM and can appreciate the irony of everyone saying that we are the ones who need cleaning ladies. It is ironic.....and I have one!

I also do agree with your statements. I also find that when everyone is home, it's way more work because things get so messy. Things get messier and take longer to pick up. I'm still recovering from everyone being home for 5 days over Thanksgiving weekend...my house is a neverending mess! And just when I think I've got it all under control, the oldest comes home from school and blows it back up again! :rotfl:

Maybe I should relax my standards, but I think that might put me in the loony bin, too. :rotfl2:

crisi
11-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Its almost always NICE to have a cleaning lady - regardless of if you work outside the home, are a stay at home parent, or want more time to devote to romance novels and days at the spa. Few of us enjoy cleaning out houses. From there its a matter of:

1) Is what you pay worth the return (in time)? A cleaning lady might be worthwhile if it means eight hours of sleep a night, and might not be worth it if it means more time to go shopping and spend on things you don't need.
2) Is what you pay worth what you are giving up (in monetary terms?) A cleaning lady might be worthwhile if you were having to scale back from the Grand Floridian to CBR on vacation - it might not be worth it if it meant no vacations at all.
3) Does it fit into your life? If picking up for the cleaning lady is more of a chore than cleaning yourself....if you want your kids to clean bathrooms and mop floors for their allowance (and you don't care about white glove cleanliness)...then maybe no. But for a lot of people - a cleaning lady is a wonderful indulgence. For others its a necessity. For still others, its a way to give back - by paying my cleaning lady a living wage, I put money back. Right now, I pay my mother to clean my house. She gives the money to my sister. I won't give money directly to my sister (who is a bit of a screw up), my father won't support my mother giving money to my sister (they are both retired). I get a clean house, my mother gets to help my sister. My father is none the wiser. (My kids still have to do their part of the chores - which is a benefit to Grandma as the cleaning lady - she's also teaching my kids to clean).

mamaLori05
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
LuvsJack and I have opposite points on this topic, but I don't think she meant to be snarky. I am a SAHM and can appreciate the irony of everyone saying that we are the ones who need cleaning ladies. It is ironic.....and I have one!

I also do agree with your statements. I also find that when everyone is home, it's way more work because things get so messy. Things get messier and take longer to pick up. I'm still recovering from everyone being home for 5 days over Thanksgiving weekend...my house is a neverending mess! And just when I think I've got it all under control, the oldest comes home from school and blows it back up again! :rotfl:

Maybe I should relax my standards, but I think that might put me in the loony bin, too. :rotfl2:

My apologies to LuvsJack then. It's always hard to read the emotion on the boards. :flower3:

But yes, I agree with you!! Glad to hear it's not just me that cleans for hours only to go into the room you started with and have it look like you were never there. :lmao: My dh likes to predict what we did for the day just by looking at the living room. If it's clean when he gets home, he knows we were probably gone most of the day. If it looks like a tornado ran through it, he knows we were home all day, and probably had multiple neighbor kids and friends over. He likes to see it messy because that means no money was spent for the day. :rotfl2:

dd5 is at school today, and ds3 had preschool for 2.5 hours this morning and then we went over to help set up for a bookfair at dd's school. Guess what, the house is still picked up!!!! :banana: However that could easily change in the next hour or two. :rotfl:

luvsJack
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
No need to get snarky, I don't have a cleaning lady. Do I think SAHP's NEED a cleaning lady, no, would it be nice, YES!! However that wasn't the point I was trying to make with my post. My point was that someone was saying it only takes them 2.5 hours a week to clean their house total, and didn't understand how it could take someone longer. Well, if you are never home to make a mess, or have a smaller house, then it's not going to take you long at all. I was simply trying to say that when you are home all day with multiple kids, 2.5 hours is not going to cut it, at least not in my house.

No, no I wasn't trying to be snarky. I just think it gets funny how we ALL (me included) try to justify doing it OUR way.

One person has a billion reasons why they NEED a cleaning person while another has a billion reasons why the DO NOT need a cleaning person at all and its just a waste of money.

I am sure everyone's house is different, everyone's situation is different and everyone's level of what is "clean enough" is different and so course all those differences makes the need different. :)

I didn't find that my house was messier when my kids were home (now dh is another story :laughing:) all day. But they were/are expected to do a certain amount to help and to always pick up after themselves.. Now when we are in and out and get home late, get up in the morning running.--that's when my house gets to be a mess!!

Figment1990
12-02-2010, 01:14 PM
popcorn:: I'm completely entertained. This is like a good novel.

Just wanted to throw in another two cents and my experiences on a few points.

#1 - if people are IN the house all day long, it can get "messier" than if you are out of the house all day long. I learned this quickly when my mom was watching my son at our house and then we started to take him to her house for those few days she watches him. It's amazing. Now when I get home, the house looks just like I left it the night before! (after I picked everything up) Also, things stay cleaner now, b/c DS isn't eating 3 meals in the kitchen (food on the floor is inevitable with a toddler), and the rest of the "cleaning" stuff takes less time at night because we're not picking up clutter all night. Of course, now that he's a little older, it's truly amazing what he can accomplish in the few hours between dinner and bedtime. Thank goodness for the "toys away" song we learned at music class.

#2 -About kids seeing you have a cleaning person.
When I was old enough to remember (grade school?) my mom had a cleaning person. And she was a SAHM. I have no idea what her thought process was about getting one, although I look back now and I think it was because my grandmother thinks you have to have a spotless house, so my mom couldn't keep up with what she thought was expected of her. (not me, my mom and grandma don't know that I don't move furniture to vacuum or have never wiped down my walls and I don't plan to tell them!) Anyhow, my point is, I'm a BIG saver. I hate to spend money unless we really want or need to. Not because we always struggled or anything, but it's just the way I am (must be the accountant in me). So even though I witnessed my family having a cleaning lady, I still fought getting my own for a long time. I'm happy now, but it wasn't something I automatically thought I was entitled to because my mom had one. And we still did chores - I was always cleaning the kitchen, folding laundry, weeding the garden, sweeping the porch, etc.

One other funny anecdote. When DS was first born, DH and I had alternate days off from work with him. On grandma and daddy days - it was all fun and games. One day I told DS while he was sitting in his bouncy chair that mommy days were not going to be as fun because mommy had lots to do at home! :lmao: DH now pitches in more, but since it always takes him longer, I end up doing more. I also do all the scheduling, finances, menu planning, cooking etc, even though we both work. Whatever. Every family is unique. Plus I'm just wired to not sit still. Unless I'm reading the DIS....:thumbsup2

Teacher03
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I would LOVE to have a cleaning person. I am not lazy by any means, but I am not a great housekeeper. I just can't stay on top of things. My husband is the same way. Now, we do have a clean house, but because I'm not a great housekeeper, it takes forever! So if I had the money, I would definitely hire someone to clean. I would probably feel guilty (even though I know I shouldn't) but I could live with the guilt.

Planogirl
12-02-2010, 03:43 PM

If you find the magic answer for the perfect make, model and price...let me know!!

and PS....A Wii is also a necessity in this house...does that make me DOUBLY bad? :rolleyes1
You're apparently beyond help. ;)

Planogirl
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I would LOVE to have a cleaning person. I am not lazy by any means, but I am not a great housekeeper. I just can't stay on top of things. My husband is the same way. Now, we do have a clean house, but because I'm not a great housekeeper, it takes forever! So if I had the money, I would definitely hire someone to clean. I would probably feel guilty (even though I know I shouldn't) but I could live with the guilt.
I would kind of like to have one to come occasionally and do what I consider deep cleaning and washing windows too. I would rather do the vacuuming and dusting and the idea of someone washing my clothes... :scared1: It's not a priority though so I just don't wash the windows. :upsidedow