PDA

View Full Version : How Much Have You Seen Flights Rise By?

bod diddy
05-17-2010, 07:50 AM
With David Cameron adding taxes here, there and everywhere, I scrambled to book my trip for next January. The flight had already risen by 10 since before the election result, I don't know if that's coincidence or if that it was the change to flight tax (it is now being charged per plane as opposed to per passenger). It got me thinking about the sharp rise that we've all seen in flights we've all seen recently. Is there any exact reason for the hike, poor pound, rising fuel, rising tax, consumer demand, volcanoes or all of the above?

To illustrate my point, here are the costs of my last two flights to MCO per person:

Sept 2009 : 330 with Virgin, Miles Plus Money
Jan 2010 : 360 with KLM/MartinAir

Upcoming trip:

Jan 2011 : 435 with Virgin, Miles Plus Money

Let me hear your woes.

originalkk
05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
There is no change to flight taxes yet. The change to taxes on planes rather than passengers (through the APD) is still a proposal at present.

However, there has been a big increase in APD since it was introduced, and the previous government intended a further big rise in November (300% increase in charges for economy seats since introduction in 2006).

On top of this, rising airport fees, fuel prices, weakness against the dollar, plus the huge drop in premium traffic which subsidised economy seats on scheduled carriers, have all had their effect.

KemlynUltra
05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I was going to post the same thread as I feel the same!

My flights with Virgin have increased by 15 per adult since yesterday with the miles with money option for December. It is now 435.

Cant decide whether to take the plunge now or wait a bit longer.

paulfoel
05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Hmm. Flight in September BRS to MCO with continental are over 560 now !!!!

Usually get these for well under 500.... :-(

gemmybear83
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Sept/oct 2009 300 va economy booked in the virgin sale

december 2010 407 va miles and money (didn't find this too bad as were flying on weekends)

Were planning on going to New York and then onto Orlando next year so it will be interesting to see what flight prices are like!

T16GEM
05-20-2010, 11:03 AM
The flights that I bought last year BHX - MCO with Continental were 325

The same for 2011 are coming out at 480 :scared1: That is for January!!!!

We have been looking at going April / May next year and the flights are just ridiculous at the moment! I don't know how people justify flying with Virgin when their flights seem to be so expensive! We will 100% be going indirect just because it's the only way to save a few pennies!

:mad:

wilma-bride
05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Interesting since, for some reason, I decided to check the price of our flights for August again today. We paid 390 each for Economy with VA back in February. The same flights today were over 1100 each :scared1:

scojos
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Interesting since, for some reason, I decided to check the price of our flights for August again today. We paid 390 each for Economy with VA back in February. The same flights today were over 1100 each :scared1:

looked at ours too, paid 500, now over 1200 - frightening isnt it!!