PDA

View Full Version : Color your own hair

joy@disney
05-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Need some help and advice. I am considering getting my hair colored for the first time. I started getting grey hair when I was 18. I am now 42 and have had some grey hair for most of my adult life. So I am used to seeing me this way, but I have really been feeling like a change.

My questions to you all are, should I have it done professionally or should I do it myself. If professionally, what do you all pay. If you have done it yourself, what brand do you use.

Thanks all.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Need some help and advice. I am considering getting my hair colored for the first time. I started getting grey hair when I was 18. I am now 42 and have had some grey hair for most of my adult life. So I am used to seeing me this way, but I have really been feeling like a change.

My questions to you all are, should I have it done professionally or should I do it myself. If professionally, what do you all pay. If you have done it yourself, what brand do you use.

Thanks all.

I'm a part-time stylist, and our salon starts at $60 for an all-over color (just one color, not highlights, etc.) and goes up depending on stylist level, length of hair, condition of hair, etc.

In general, though, it's fairly easy just to do a single color, so you could use a semi-permanent at home to get a feel for it and see if you like it. I am usually a champion for letting the pros handle the chemicals, but you'd be pretty safe with a semi-permanent color.

gk90
05-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Sally Beauty Supply has more types and brands of hair color available compared to what you'd find in the drug store--if you ask a salesperson there to help you pick an easy to use do-it-yourself product, I'm sure they can point out something good.

badblackpug
05-17-2010, 02:35 AM
I pay about $150 for color, highlights, cut and blow dry. My hair isn't real long, about a little above my shoulders, but it is super thick and coarse. I don't think I could manage the color on my own.

gk90
05-17-2010, 02:48 AM
I don't think I could manage the color on my own.
My MIL used to have my FIL help her with coloring her hair--she would be the 1st to tell you she's all thumbs and 2 left feet while he was great with tools, crafts, repairs, painting, detailing etc. Since he passed away she goes to the salon or has my SIL help her.

My mom is very handy and careful and she does her own hair coloring. I have grey streaks that don't show if I comb my hair over them but with pool weather coming up it's finally time for me to color them...I'm thinking I can do mine myself since it's a single color and I've been looking at some of these semipermanent colors:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Demi-Haircolor/SBS-800354,default,pd.html
http://www.sallybeauty.com/demi-permanent-haircolor/SBS-305448,default,pd.html
http://www.sallybeauty.com/haircolor/SBS-500766,default,pd.html

badblackpug
05-17-2010, 04:28 AM
My MIL used to have my FIL help her with coloring her hair--she would be the 1st to tell you she's all thumbs and 2 left feet while he was great with tools, crafts, repairs, painting, detailing etc. Since he passed away she goes to the salon or has my SIL help her.

My mom is very handy and careful and she does her own hair coloring. I have grey streaks that don't show if I comb my hair over them but with pool weather coming up it's finally time for me to color them...I'm thinking I can do mine myself since it's a single color and I've been looking at some of these semipermanent colors:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Demi-Haircolor/SBS-800354,default,pd.html
http://www.sallybeauty.com/demi-permanent-haircolor/SBS-305448,default,pd.html
http://www.sallybeauty.com/haircolor/SBS-500766,default,pd.html

OMG! ROFLMAO! :rotfl2: I can just imagine my completely, BALD, not a wisp of hair on his shiny head husband trying to color my hair! LOL! LOL! LOL!

drinkme
05-17-2010, 06:50 AM
The problem with diy at home coloring is that it's hard to cover gray. You may be able to keep the gray covered for 2 weeks if you're lucky.

When I used to get my hair professional colored, my stylist would give me beautiful blonde highlights in the front where my gray is the worst. It would cover the gray, and then when the gray started coming in, the blonde seemed to camaflouge it well to get me to 8-12 weeks to my next appt.

Blonde is a hard color to do yourself at home. Some times it comes out blonde for me, sometimes a strawberry blonde.

My daughter has had all shades of colors trying to get the platinum blonde coloring (gray, purple...lol).

So, if your gray isn't too bad, then do it at home with something from the drug store. But you probably want to get it professionally done if you have an important occasion to go to.

If you want to save money, then definitely do it at home.

luvthatdisney
05-17-2010, 07:11 AM
I too get the blonde highlights around my face and throughout the crown to cover my grey. My regular hair color is a medium brown, but the highlights seem to blend the gray away for longer than using one color. I can also stretch out the time between coloring due to the highlights as the grey just blends into it. I do not have a whole lot of gray, but it is very noticible when I use only one color no highlights.

singitalto
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
I have med-dark brown hair (well I really am about 1/2 gray now) I use Preference by Loreal Medium brown. Very easy to use, covers gray well. I leave it on longer, like 40 min total, so that the gray gets covered.Good luck!

patsal
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I have almost totally grey hair and I color it myself--I have to it would not be affordable for me otherwise. Since I am 43 and a teacher the kids woudl think I was really old if I left it natural! I use Garnier and get great color that doesn't fade for about 4-6 weeks. My hair grows really fast and it needs the roots touched up every four weeks.

msmayor
05-17-2010, 09:24 AM
The problem with diy at home coloring is that it's hard to cover gray. You may be able to keep the gray covered for 2 weeks if you're lucky.

When I used to get my hair professional colored, my stylist would give me beautiful blonde highlights in the front where my gray is the worst. It would cover the gray, and then when the gray started coming in, the blonde seemed to camaflouge it well to get me to 8-12 weeks to my next appt.

Blonde is a hard color to do yourself at home. Some times it comes out blonde for me, sometimes a strawberry blonde.

My daughter has had all shades of colors trying to get the platinum blonde coloring (gray, purple...lol).

So, if your gray isn't too bad, then do it at home with something from the drug store. But you probably want to get it professionally done if you have an important occasion to go to.

If you want to save money, then definitely do it at home.

Maybe its hard to keep the gray covered with a semi-permanent, but with a permanent level 3 its not really hard at all. I use Preference by Loreal and have had excellent success. I color about every 6 weeks and it does a great job.

The Preference has a great comb applicator that makes it very easy to keep control over the dye. I get $2 or $3 coupons all the time and with sales and coupons I pay around $5 a box. Excellent value, IMO.

SalandJeff
05-17-2010, 09:45 AM
I used to get my hair done at the salon, but started doing it myself when I got laid off. HUGE difference in cost.

It is really not hard to do, although I will admit I hate doing it. I use either Garnier or L'Oreal - whichever is on sale and also use coupons.

A couple of tips. Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get a coloring brush. It is kind of like a paintbrush and makes it so much easier to get the color concentrated on your gray at the crown and temples. Do those gray areas first, so the color is on those for a longer time. And if you are doing it yourself, I would try to stay fairly close to your own color until you get the hang of it. Also, don't panic if it looks darker than you expect. It will lighten up after a couple of washes.

If you want to change the color significantly, I would go to the salon.

Sadie22
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I pay about $150 for color, highlights, cut and blow dry. My hair isn't real long, about a little above my shoulders, but it is super thick and coarse. I don't think I could manage the color on my own.

Oh, my! Salons at our local mall charge about half that!

DisneyNutMic
05-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I put my natural color back in this weekend actually. I only do one color though so mine is pretty simple.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh, my! Salons at our local mall charge about half that!

I'm guessing she goes to a boutique-type salon (unique as opposed to chain). They tend to offer a more individualized (read: personalized, spa-like, etc.) consultation and experience than the mall/Wal-mart/Supercuts type of salons, hence the heftier price tag.

kesha
05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
If you can afford to get it done professionally that is what I would do. The price depends on the area you live. If you go with an all over color the gray seems to come back faster. If you can get by with highlights to cover your gray they seem to last longer. Just my opinion. I am not a professional but I do color my own hair with an all over color. Its a pain and as I have gotten older and getting more gray it is even a bigger pain. I'm ready to go back to the salon. I have saved alot of money doing it myself though. A professional told me what to buy at Sallys when I started doing it myself.

Pigeon
05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I've been coloring mine for many years. It's completely simple to do. I've used many brands and had good results. I usually use Preference, and it covers gray very well.

stinkerbelle's mom
05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I use Preference by Loreal about every 6 to 8 weeks. I use the different shades of medium brown. To keep it fresh about every 4 to 6 weeks I use the root touch up by Clairol. It will shine the crown and the roots and extend my regular dying time. The root touch up isn't has harsh as the more permenant dye.

Tink-n-MrIncredible
05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I vote for you to do it yourself. I have been doing mine for years. Here is a list of some things your want from Sally's : plastic gloves, color applicator bottle (small size), developer, and hair color (I like Clairol Gray busters). Let the associate or bring a friend and try and match the color swatch to your hair color. The associated should be able to tell you what type of developer and how much depending on what hair color you choose.

CrzyforPiglet
05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I've probably been coloring my own hair for about 2 years and have gotten okay results - not amazing but good enough for my needs and pocketbook. But I've noticed in the past 6 months that the grey hairs were getting more stubborn and coming out quicker so I broke down and got it done at the salon. The difference is amazing - I have gotten so many compliments and it still looks great. If I were you I'd try doing it yourself for a couple of times to see how it works out and if you like it before going to a salon.

And for the amusement of my son . . .
:banana: popcorn:: :rotfl2:

Skatermom23
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
For those of you who are going to a salon, are you having an all over color done or a foil? I have been getting foils done for years but I am noticing more of the greys getting left out. I wonder if I should switch to an all over color? :confused3 A friend recently told me that she gets a semi permanent color every 6-8 weeks (at a salon) and it covers the grey without the part line. Anyone have experience with that?

JandJ
05-17-2010, 05:06 PM
For years I had my stylist color my hair a reddish brown (naturally I'm a light brunette with 4 or 5 greys on top), but then I saw my sister's hair and loved the color (she has a lot more grey than I do) and she said she uses Nice N Easy. I asked my stylist about it and she said if I got a color that matched my ends it would be fine. I've been doing it for about a year now and no one believes I've switched from professional to Nice N Easy! It looks exactly the same! But, if I wanted to go another color - a lighter brown, for example - my stylist would have to do it the first time to bleach it all out, then I'd get an over-the-counter color that matched it and keep doing it myself.

I was paying anywhere from $40 - $60 and I have very short hair. Now I pay about $7!

es45
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks all.

Have it done professionally but do touch-ups at home. You can use a colored glaze (I use John Frieda) or a root touch-up (Clairol) product and extend the professional coloring.

I pay $50 for color. I pay $5-7 for the home products that I use to extend the color for 2-3 more weeks.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
For those of you who are going to a salon, are you having an all over color done or a foil? I have been getting foils done for years but I am noticing more of the greys getting left out. I wonder if I should switch to an all over color? :confused3 A friend recently told me that she gets a semi permanent color every 6-8 weeks (at a salon) and it covers the grey without the part line. Anyone have experience with that?

An all-over color is the only way to make sure you cover EVERYTHING. You can do a foil with a tint-between (the hair not in the foils is also colored), but it's hard to make sure EVERYTHING is covered. A semi-permanent color goes on just like permanent color with the same initial results. The difference is that the semi fades with every shampoo and will need an all-over touch up (as opposed to just the new growth) sooner than a permanent color would. Semi-permanent is great for those who change their minds often or just want to try something new for a bit.

EMom
05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I have some gray mainly framing my face. My hair grows super fast and I'd go broke paying to have it done since I have to do the roots every 4 weeks. I use permanent dye from Sally's. (liquid Wella, mixed with peroxide) I mix half light blonde and half medium blonde and it looks nothing like a combination of the two when I am done. :rotfl2: But it turns out to match my natural hair color and that's what I wanted.

I only color the new growth next to my scalp. Otherwise, it would be too harsh to color it so often. What winds up happening is that the color "takes" better on the non-gray hair than on the gray hair and that makes the gray hair look lighter......as if I've highlighted it. People either have no idea I color it or they ask where I get my highlights because "they look so natural." I say, "Honey, those are the gray ones." :lmao:

The color stays put on the stuff I dyed ages ago.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
P.S. I do echo the blonde highlights, especially around the face. I do that almost exclusively for the 40s set, and it does cut down on the obviousness when the grey grows.

njcarita
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm finding all the responses all very imformative.....I'm dreading coloring my hair for the first time.... I am not a salon person at all.... I drag myself in for a haircut about twice a year...... I am 45 and still have jet black hair ... every so often I find a wirely grey hair sticking out of my head.... but thats it..... I know when the time comes I'll probably be coloring it myself....

ExPirateShopGirl
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
I color mine myself with semi-permanent color. I use a light-medium brown with golden undertones plus a clear gloss with a really low developer (9 vol) to keep fading to a minimum. I color new growth only, every 6-8 weeks, and what grays I have end up looking like yellow-blonde strands. It's a single color process that ends up looking like sun-given highlights.

EMom
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Kind of off topic, but related. DD was a very blonde baby, but like a lot of kids, it's getting a bit darker as she gets older. Also, like a lot of kids, it lightens up in the summer. And...she has a lot of natural highlights and streaks of various shades of blonde. Anyone who has blondes in their family knows what I'm talking about. My own hair was NEVER one color, but several. :rotfl2:

When DD was 8, she was at her friend's house and they're Indian. As in, from India, Indian. Not a lot of sun streaked blondes running around where the mom grew up and I suppose that explains her question to my DD. She complimented her hair and asked in earnest, where I took her to get it highlighted. DD didn't have a clue what she was talking about. She said, "You know, to get the blonde streaks in it." DD told her she didn't go anywhere, that's just the way her hair was. When she came home and told me about it, she said, "I don't think she believed me." :lmao:

DH and I had a good laugh about someone thinking we'd take a 2nd grader to get her hair highlighted. Although to be honest, 3 girls in DD's grade were already getting streaks in their hair by then. Strangely enough, they all had black or very dark brown hair. None were blondes. :confused3

Beckypooh1972
05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I have some gray mainly framing my face. My hair grows super fast and I'd go broke paying to have it done since I have to do the roots every 4 weeks. I use permanent dye from Sally's. (liquid Wella, mixed with peroxide) I mix half light blonde and half medium blonde and it looks nothing like a combination of the two when I am done. :rotfl2: But it turns out to match my natural hair color and that's what I wanted.

I only color the new growth next to my scalp. Otherwise, it would be too harsh to color it so often. What winds up happening is that the color "takes" better on the non-gray hair than on the gray hair and that makes the gray hair look lighter......as if I've highlighted it. People either have no idea I color it or they ask where I get my highlights because "they look so natural." I say, "Honey, those are the gray ones." :lmao:

The color stays put on the stuff I dyed ages ago.

Yep, this is exactly how it works out for me to color my hair at home too. In my opinion blonde is easier for not showing the grays. I only touch up my scalp which is about 50/50 gray and brown when my roots start to show. I used to have my hairstylist do my color and she'd do a good job but it was expensive and occasionally didn't lighten as well at the roots as I would like. I use Loreal Preference and having tried many others I think it is the best by far. Avoid the ends if you just need to touch up the scalp. If you are going brunette I'm not sure I would due to the amount of gray you have; I think most home color fades enough to show gray. If you are mostly gray right now, I would recommend you go to a stylist - a good one - for your initial color choice, then keep up the roots yourself - match your color to the home color boxes at the store.

Sadie22
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm guessing she goes to a boutique-type salon (unique as opposed to chain). They tend to offer a more individualized (read: personalized, spa-like, etc.) consultation and experience than the mall/Wal-mart/Supercuts type of salons, hence the heftier price tag.

I was talking about a salon, not the chains such as Hair Cuttery, Walmart, Sport Cuts, etc. where you would not likely get the same stylist twice. My stylist was also shocked at the big city price.

melafive
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
My friend recently graduated from cosmetology school and she gave me an awesome tip. If your gray roots grow in fast like mine use redken shades in between professional colorings. It extends the time between your colorings and you don't have that nasty root line when it fades. The first time I bought the shades from her but last time I just bought it off ebay. I've never had a problem with it. Oh and if you have problem gray develop it under heat for a bit.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I was talking about a salon, not the chains such as Hair Cuttery, Walmart, Sport Cuts, etc. where you would not likely get the same stylist twice. My stylist was also shocked at the big city price.

I don't live in a big city, but those are the prices here for higher end salons. Interesting. I guess it's all about perspective where money is concerned. Of course it's more expensive than the chains (where the focus is quantity), but I've never thought salon prices (even before I was a stylist) to be :scared1:. Actually, the $10 haircuts scared me more than the $60 ones. ;):rotfl:

TxRabbit
05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I did my own for the first time in February. My hair used to be blonde. After being pregnant, my hair got so incredibly dark. Like my mother said to me for years, I could now say, my DS stole my blonde!!

To compensate I would let my hair grow out so that the sun would fade it. My hair was a mess in the color department where you could literally see the seasons in it. It looked like "grow out" at the bottom and dark at the top.

Based on a recommendation, I used this product:

http://www.wellausa.com/color_charm/for_consumers/demi_glazing_shades.php

It's a professional product available at Sally Beauty Supply. It blended my hair beautifully. As I was told, this product would not result in "roots". It lays on your hair and is designed to naturally wear off. Because of the nature of the product it is also recommended for first time color people. I would think that this would be a good start for you.

My mom used this product to cover and blend her gray. It worked beautifully. She also kicked it up a notch and added some red all at the same time. She started with faded brownish hair with gray concentrated in the temple areas. My mom had it done in the salon using this product.

Whether you do it at home, or in the salon, this is an excellent product and definitely one I would recommend for you.

PM me if you are interested in exactly what tools and the procedure I used to do it myself. It was very easy and inexpensive.

JCMHutch
05-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I have long medium ash brown hair that has turned white on the top of my head (the rest is still brown - go figure). My hairdresser colors it 2 times a year ($80 for a wash, cut & color) and then I use Root Touch Up or Performing Preference between professional colorings. This works well for me and keeps the ends from getting too faded out.

kaytieeldr
05-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Lately I've been getting professional color (but only a few times a year - I'm cheap and really don't care too frequently about the lonnnnnnnnng gray roots :lmao: ). But I've colored my hair for over thirty years, at first just because I wanted red hair, but after not too long because, well, here came the gray.

OP - you CAN do it yourself. Start with a semi-permanent color, a shade or shade and a half LIGHTER than your natural color. Why? Because it will color all the strands of your hair, and especially if you're brunette, it will make your brown hair more harshly brown. A lighter shade of brown will only slightly color your brown hair, while making your gray hair look like highlights. And the advantage is, it washes out after about 24-28 shampoos. Worst case, if you really hate it, you just wash your hair more often.

Junebugwv
05-18-2010, 01:36 AM
I have colored my dark brown hair for about 25 years. It is thick and a little below the shoulders. My gray is color resistant so I leave the coloring on for 45 minutes and I use any semi-permanent brand that does not have ammonia. I use 1 or 2 shades lighter than my natural color.

Seems like my roots grow faster than the ends! I color every 3 or 4 weeks and have to use a color stick to cover the roots after 2 weeks.

PolyndianPrincessJes
05-18-2010, 02:23 AM
I have colored my dark brown hair for about 25 years. It is thick and a little below the shoulders. My gray is color resistant so I leave the coloring on for 45 minutes and I use any semi-permanent brand that does not have ammonia. I use 1 or 2 shades lighter than my natural color.

Seems like my roots grow faster than the ends! I color every 3 or 4 weeks and have to use a color stick to cover the roots after 2 weeks.

Your ends never grow, just your roots. ;) I'm always in a perpetual state of "growing it out," and I wish the ends would grow, too. Would definitely speed up the process.

apnep
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
For years I had my stylist color my hair a reddish brown (naturally I'm a light brunette with 4 or 5 greys on top), but then I saw my sister's hair and loved the color (she has a lot more grey than I do) and she said she uses Nice N Easy.
I was paying anywhere from $40 - $60 and I have very short hair. Now I pay about $7!

I was getting my hair colored to at $45 a pop and then I saw a friend whose hair looked great and decided to give it a shot. I bought the Nice N Easy Perfect 10 (it only takes 10 minutes) and it came out great! It was very easy especially because the bottle came with a comb attached to comb it through the hair. I find that the coverage on my grays lasts just as long as if I had it done at the salon.

Why spend $45 + tip JUST for color (not to mention 1-2 hours of time) when you can do it in 10 minutes for $5-7 (especially if you have a coupon)?

I also just tried the Garnier Nutris and loved the color on that one too.

Ang

tar heel
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty cheap, but coloring my own hair is something I'm not going to do. I want an expert, and that isn't me. I pay $53 plus a $10 tip every 5 weeks at a local salon -- I call it "getting the red put on." God used to put the red on for me, but he stopped for some reason.:rotfl:

WINTER
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I was skeptical at first but now I do mine all the time. I use Garnier Nutriese. Love it!

dyna
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Another Loreal Prefrence user here until a few weeks ago I had long hair half way down back that was very curly no way I could have used the comb that came with the hair color. I cut my hair off it not an inch long (love it!!!)

Recently I found the Loreal Prefrence on clearance at Target in my color redish brown I can't remember the number right off top of my head but the clearance was a 2 pack for like 4.00 an yes the expiration dates was like 2 yrs away so I bought all they had a total of like 12 or 14 boxes.

Just be sure to cover anything you don't want dyed sink etc with a towel I start at the sink where I got a mirror to do my roots an old toothbrush can work for this then get in shower an do the rest. Just besure to clean up any drips or splashes immediately or the dye will stain! A bit of bleach on a cotton ball cleaned up a drip I missed a couple weeks ago tho. I had to leave it soak a few mins (just cleaned it up tonight but I also been out of town ever since I did my hair last.) I do not like bleachin tub tho to harsh as eats the finish which makes the tub harder to clean in the long run.

My complaint now that my hair is so short I don't even need half the dye but it's easier to throw rest away than it is to only mix half an try to save it an for what I bought the stuff for I can afford to throw half of it away. Salon would still charge me full price even tho I now have very short hair.

joy@disney
05-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to try it myself. Still nervous though. Wish me luck :thumbsup2

badblackpug
05-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't live in a big city, but those are the prices here for higher end salons. Interesting. I guess it's all about perspective where money is concerned. Of course it's more expensive than the chains (where the focus is quantity), but I've never thought salon prices (even before I was a stylist) to be :scared1:. Actually, the $10 haircuts scared me more than the $60 ones. ;):rotfl:

Actually, this is a pretty average price here. Before my stylist changed salons I was paying $300, so, yes, I do consider this a "bargain." Again, I have very thick, very coarse, difficult to manage hair, and I am blonde, which, as others have said, is a very difficult color to get right, and make look natural. I would not trust the barbers and the recent graduates from beauty school at Super Cuts or Hair Cuttery with my hair. Sometimes you DO get what you pay for!

IleneF
05-23-2010, 07:24 AM
I use natural instincts. It's so easy and my hair is actually healthier looking when I use it. It washes out in 28 washes or so, for me that is one month but it seems to last longer. The newer colors have a "warm glow" added which even though it's a solid color make it look like very little highlights
have been added. I love this product and would recommend it. BTW, my hair is dark brown with a few gray streaks and I use 28G. Good luck!

leebee
05-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I have long, medium/light brown hair that I have been coloring at home for decades. My guess is, left uncolored, I am probably about 75% grey (but who can tell? my haircolor is whatever it says on the box :lmao:) I use Color Silk by Revlon, which is really cheap ($2.50/treatment) and color every 6-8 weeks. When I started I used two boxes to get all my hair (thick, long) but now only do the roots and whatever is leftover I use on the ends, which tend to lighten up fairly quickly. I find that I need to leave it on for about 30 minutes to get good coverage. I have tried the more expensive OTC brands but find that Color Silk works well for me. I think I use the two boxes about twice a year, still, for even coverage, but just do the roots and ends in between. Sometimes I use the "for grey hair" brands, which are supposed to give better, longer grey coverage, but haven't noticed much difference.

Tips: "golden" shades tend to bring out reddish highlights on brown hair, "ash" shades leave a more normal-color. Keep some rubbing alcohol on hand- use it on a cotton ball to wash off the "oops" drips on the sink or on your skin. I have an old shower cap that I wear over my hair while it is coloring to prevent accidents, like if I sit on the couch and lean back or something. (I am wearing it- and coloring- as I type!!)

There's no way we could afford for me to have my hair professionally colored. Basic coloring starts at about $60 in our area. That would be over $500 a year, just to have my hair colored? That's crazy, and definitely not in our budget. I know it's affordable for some, but not for us.

andreadoiron
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
i've been coloring my own hair for years but recently found sally beauty supply. i love the clairol gray busters and other clairol permanent liquid color. it leaves your hair soft and doesn't stink. it's quite a bit less expensive than the drugstore as well.
you have to buy the color, the developer and the bottle separately but once you do all that, you'll save a ton and never go back to a box of color. the women who work at sally beauty will help you get everything you need and give color advice too!

joy@disney
05-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Ok, I really want to do this, and do it on my own. But it seems soooo overwhelming. You all have given great advice and I am very thankful to you all. I hope to try it this week. I will let you all know how it goes. Maybe even post a picture, if it goes well....:rotfl:

mamalle
05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I have been using Loreal preference for years. I normall use the med reddish brown for my persistent gray hairs..