PDA

View Full Version : Small frying pans...what do you have?

clh2
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
We tossed out our small frying pan today. It was "tippy" on our burner (we have a gas stove, so, it sits on a burner grate), and tonight - we had just HAD IT with this pan.

I like this size of pan - so I will need to get a new one.

What kind do you have, and do you like it? I can't even tell you what kind we had - we dumped it in the garbage - and I'm not going back into the bag:rotfl:

Thanks!

Mrs. Charming
05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a few Anolon pans, got them at Macy's. Love them. They're 4 years old, get used almost daily, and they look brand new. They're heavy, non-tippy (I threw out my tippy ones, too) and they have a nice silicone covered handle that doesn't get too hot.

Sagginit
05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
ours is used 75-95% of the time for eggs so we have two nice "green" ones. one we got at macys, one at marshalls. they have a great nonstick, nontoxic coating that is perfect for eggs and clean easy.

Mrs. Charming
05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
ours is used 75-95% of the time for eggs so we have two nice "green" ones. one we got at macys, one at marshalls. they have a great nonstick, nontoxic coating that is perfect for eggs and clean easy.

It's funny you have an "egg" pan-- we have a "grilled cheese" pan!

akcire
05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
all-clad

clh2
05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
It's funny you have an "egg" pan-- we have a "grilled cheese" pan!

OP here - I am thinking I probably should have stated what this pan is used for: Mostly small quantities of scrambled eggs, i.e.3 eggs or less, OR sauteing up some mushrooms. I have a "bigger" frying pan, which I do not love, but at least I don't hate, and it doesn't tip.

I do, however, have a particular favorite pan, that needs to do double duty. Our Calphalon double-burner griddle is for both grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, as well as pancakes!:thumbsup2

I feel bad - I posted this on the budget board, but FWIW, this is NOT a budget question.:rotfl:

snarlingcoyote
05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a couple of old cast iron skillets that work brilliantly. One I bought at the Army Navy store soon after I married and the other one we found in an old 1920's stove in our old house.

clh2
05-16-2010, 10:03 PM
OP here - cast iron skillets really scare me from a high-maintenance perspective. isn't the care of cast iron a lot of work?

lomorton
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I got my favorite "EcoPan" at Home Goods for around $12. It has resisted scratches and seems to cook evenly on our gas range. :-)

Topper
05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Le Creuset
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cHaHNTdsuZe0ieLQsGLwSNAyv8DKRLJ4c5Any4Ef8JfVrBihIv _Ttr_6s1zV8Dx0GED4l3VOB_4wtwmk2Df3fn59bZjOTO3r6b6N 3CQXe9xJZNGsjXwJLj9p7b2aC-8q1H3nwA575GvX4sXUVnRuK_hQ-dKmaV-ojG8MQL9gLZ86Z_5Ki4wxeQ

eatatmidnight
05-17-2010, 07:16 AM
We have 2 ...an Emeril nonstick and a Calphalon nonstick that we really like. They both came from Bed Bath and Beyond using 20 percent off coupons.

gardengalB4
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
circulon -got it from Macy's.

snarlingcoyote
05-23-2010, 11:54 PM
OP here - cast iron skillets really scare me from a high-maintenance perspective. isn't the care of cast iron a lot of work?

Hi! Sorry I didn't get back to you.

Actually, cast-iron is pretty easy to take care of. If you use it frequently, then you don't need to do anything. If you don't, you need to oil the pan down before you put it away. You should wash in the sink, not the dishwasher (I confess, I don't know why, it's just how it's done in my family. I guess you could, actually. . .)

If a cast iron skillet gets rusty (and boy howdy, the ones I found in that old stove hadn't been used in at least ten years) you should wash it well, then rub it down with crisco or oil.

I know people who swear by building a big fire and thrusting their skillet into the heart of the fire to temper it, but I think that's a holdover from olden days maybe. No one in my family has done it, and our skillets are just fine.

The best part is that I have skillets that I will be able to hand down through the family. My mother has skillets that were left to her by her mother. (My grandmother died in 1977, and her skillets were old then!) It's kind of like Fiestaware - so long as you don't break it, you'll be using it until you pass, and if your kids carry on the tradition, THEY can use it.

jlima
05-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Le Creuset
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cHaHNTdsuZe0ieLQsGLwSNAyv8DKRLJ4c5Any4Ef8JfVrBihIv _Ttr_6s1zV8Dx0GED4l3VOB_4wtwmk2Df3fn59bZjOTO3r6b6N 3CQXe9xJZNGsjXwJLj9p7b2aC-8q1H3nwA575GvX4sXUVnRuK_hQ-dKmaV-ojG8MQL9gLZ86Z_5Ki4wxeQ:thumbsup2

Mine's red. I use it for eggs and grilled sandwiches.