PDA

View Full Version : just back from POR!

yup I'm Goofy's sis
08-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Just back from a great week at POR, our first time there. We had 2 connecting rooms in AB for the six of us, DH and four DS, ages 10, 14, 18 and 20. We got everything we asked for, and I was very pleased with our location in Lodge 17, 1705-1706. 1705 is a corner room with two windows, we had two double beds in each room plus the trundle in each room. My 10 yr-old did use the trundle some nights, it was just long enough for him at 5 ft.

We were in standard rooms, but I requested that we "not see the parking lot". This location was perfect--we were around a corner and close to our car for unloading, but our first floor view was of the swampy lagoon-like landscaping around one of the quiet pools. It was very pretty. We never even made it into the "main"pool, but I was astounded at how pretty the setting was around the quiet pool--a very curvy, deep-end pool with palm trees right at the edge.

We enjoyed the food court, found plenty to choose from and a decent value compared to eating in the parks. I especially enjoyed breakfast there, and the pizza was great. We purchased four refillable mugs for the kids, and at last count, had refilled them about 17 times in our week!

I was also pleasantly surprised that the shop offered some basic items that would have been good to know in advance. I requested a coffeemaker and brought coffee & filters with me, but they sold filter packs at 10 for $6. They also sold milk and bread for convenience store prices, and a small but decent selection of snacks and boxed bakery goods. There was a big bag of cheese popcorn that we loved for $1.59!!!

Housekeeping was fine, and we did enjoy a steady supply of folded washcloth/sticker animals and dolls each day. I must admit, I couldn't quite picture these from the posts, but they were cute. I left a tip of $6 each day. We brought home enough soap and shampoo to last for quite a while! They were very generous with towels.

The room decor in Alligator Bayou was great fun--we loved the rustic log beds and mirror frames, the Brer' Rabbit and alligator shower curtain. The theming was perfect for us--after previous magical trips in the Fort Wilderness cabins, this was a step back to a hotel climate with just a touch of whimsy. The Magnolia Bend buildings look beautiful, too, but this was down-home comfortable.

Bus service was good--we generally only waited a few minutes. You just have to be realistic--if it is very important to be somewhere at a specific time, you have to be there early--otherwise, that will undoubtedly be the one time you just miss a bus, and have to wait a full 20 minutes--it's just Murphy's law! When we were at the stop at 8:00 a.m., we arrived at the gates at 8:20 as planned. When we were late, and arrived at the stop at 8:40 one morning, we didn't get to the park until 9:15.

We had to intentionally plan a trip on the Monorail, since you don't really need to use it from POR. We took it from Epcot to MK one afternoon. Another day, we did the resort loop from MK to the Grand Floridian. We got off there and took a bus to Downtown Disney, and took the boat back to POR later that night. The boat ride was very pleasant.

The piano guy was there at the lounge on a t least a couple nights during our stay, we just listened while passing through, but it looked like a good time.

They were painting parts of Lodge 14, the wings near the parking lot were unoccupied last week.

We were able to get a Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood & Vine for the very next day when we arrived, it was a great deal. The buffet meal for teenagers is always a good investment, and it was great to walk into the Fantasmic seating at 8:30. I was concerned that those packages might not be available at the last minute, but that did not seem to be an issue.

Now we are home, getting into the re-entry frame of mind before school starts. I'd be glad to answer any questions for those of you still looking forward to the magic!

Sandi
08-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Hey Goofy's Sis -
I'm glad you had a good time. My 7 yo DD and I (just us girls) will be at POR end of Sept. - early Oct.

Were the boats to Downtown Disney operating when you were there? My DD loves that little trip and we weren't able to do it during our February visit.

Did the painting on Building 14 look like it would be done soon or was it major work? I love that building and am aiming for it next month.

Thanks for your help.

Southernswthrt
08-11-2002, 07:00 PM
We'll be at DW in late December, and I was thinking of going to H&V for the Fantasmic dinner package. How was the selection? How was the food? I've narrowed it down to H&V or Derby.

jaguar9748
08-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the review - glad you had a great stay!!

faith
08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Your trip sounds wonderful. Was building 17 non-smoking?

jaguar9748
08-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Faith - 17 is non-smoking. The smoking option building in the first alligator bayou cluster (14, 15, 16, 17 and 18) is 18.

Chip 'n Dale Express
08-12-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by yup I'm Goofy's sis
Bus service was good--we generally only waited a few minutes. You just have to be realistic--if it is very important to be somewhere at a specific time, you have to be there early--otherwise, that will undoubtedly be the one time you just miss a bus, and have to wait a full 20 minutes--it's just Murphy's law!

I'm glad you had a great trip! :) POR is a nice resort...

Indeed, you make a good point... you do need to be realistic about the Transportation... If you need to be someplace at a certain time, Disney always recommends allowing for 60 minutes for transportation time. Generally speaking, it won't take you that long. However... we prefer people to arrive early, rather than late, and as such, factor in transfer time, walking time, and "Murphy's Law" time...

smjj
08-12-2002, 09:16 AM
We will br there in Dec. and I read all reviews on POR having never stayed there. I think we will like it a lot. We ask for the Bayou section buildings 14,15 or 18 but you know how that is. I think the POR will be a big hit with us based on all the good reviews I keep reading on the place. Thanks for the review...smjj

Steve Hurley
08-12-2002, 01:58 PM
:p Thanks for the great review. My Wife & i are going in Sept. for our anniversary and everything i read so far syas we made the right choice. Does it look like Bldg 14 will be done in a month?:p

yup I'm Goofy's sis
08-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Sandi--yes, the boat to DD was running after 4:00 p.m. every day.

Sandi and Steve--the painting did not look like anything major to me, but I'm no expert. The guest rooms on that end were vacant [doors open, tarps flapping], but my husband thought he saw guests still staying at the other end. I could not tell if they were working indoors or only on the exterior.

Southernswthrt--we enjoyed Hollywood & Vine very much, and found it to be a great value for our teens. The food was good, and the selection was fairly impressive. There were several interesting salad options, including a soutwestern ceasar salad that would have been enough for me all by itself. There was a seafood pasta dish, and oriental dish, and a German sasauge dish, as well as several "basic" meats--prime rib, turkey, roast pork, salmon. There were several hot vegetables. There was the typical soft-serve ice cream with a zillion toppings, and half a dozen types of cakes. There's also a kid-scaled serving bar with chicken nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs! Beverages were included in the price--that makes a big difference to me.

I haven't eaten at the Brown Derby, but I am confident recommending H&V. Probably just a matter of preference between full-service menu and buffet.

Faith--yes, Lodge 17 is non-smoking.

Thanks to all for your responses! How fun to be able to give back after absorbing all your great info for weeks before our trip!