PDA

View Full Version : holy cow! WHAT a difference vinegar makes!

phred52
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I did 2 loads of towels in my laundry today. First load, I used the last of the vinegar. For my second load of towels, I was out of vinegar, and the towels were washed exactly the same way but without the usual vinegar added.

WHAT a HUGE difference! I never really noticed before. First load is soft. Second load is ...well....not. Actually they feel scratchy, it is a very noticable difference. Got to go stock up on vinegar! :laundy:

dvc at last !
05-15-2010, 10:18 PM
This is news to me !
Do you use white or cider vinegar and how much ?
Thanks.

Octoberbride03
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Use the white distilled vinegar. I just fill the fabric softener dispenser and leave it, but I could probably use less and still get the towels nice and soft. Best part is I can throw my microfiber in the same wash because there is no actual fabric softener being used. Only drawback is that it doesn't help with static cling so much. But the towels really do come out nice and they do NOT smell like vinegar.

phred52
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I buy the gallon jugs of white vinegar & add 1/4 cup per load ((instead of using "real" fabric softner)).

apnep
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Not only that but it really helps to loosen the dirt in the clothes and gets them cleaner.

Ang

Canadian Traveler
05-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the tip... I am going to try that tomorrow:cool1:..

Cruise
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Not only that but it really helps to loosen the dirt in the clothes and gets them cleaner.

Ang

AND helps keep your washer fresh and free from mildew.

lizziepooh
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Do some of you put it in the wash water as well as the rinse water?

Carl Fredricksen
05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
I discovered the wonders of vinegar last year, and we use it for just about everything now. I buy gallon jugs of white vinegar on sale whenever I can, and stock up with about 6 at a time. Use it in laundry every load. Keeps the laundry fresher and the washer smelling nice, and really does help to loosen the dirt.

Vinegar is not only great for laundry, but you can use it with your dishes as well. For those of you that hand wash, use a 1/1 mixture of dish soap and vinegar. In the dishwasher, pour a 1/8 cup in the bottom before you start it up. Keeps everything cleaner, and smelling better.

And we keep a bottle of 1/1 mixed vinegar and water under the sink. Instead of using those expensive Clorox wipes, the vinegar/water is great for keeping counter tops clean and killing germs. It's also about the best window cleaner you can get.

Also check out this site called The Wonders of Vinegar (http://www.forestsong.com/html/the_wonders_of_vinegar.html) and look at the section marked 60 uses for Vinegar. You'd be surprised what this little wonder of nature can do.

Going back to the laundry thing, in addition to using Vinegar, I started making my own laundry detergent, because it was just getting so expensive. Mix this with 1/4 cup of vinegar in every load, and IMO you'd be hard pressed to find anything on the shelf that works as good. Also, it's dirt cheap to make. All our clothes come out so much cleaner and softer using this:

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

1. Grate 1/2 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap (or you can try other soaps) in a food processor or cheese grater.
2. 1 cup 20 Mule Borax
3. 1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
4. 1 cup Baking soda.
5. Process until mixed.
That’s it. It takes 5 minutes. Use about 2 tablespoons per full load of laundry.

Fels Naptha, Borax and Washing Soda are usually available in the Laundry Aisle of your grocery store. Ivory soap can be substituted if your local store does not carry Fels Naptha.

My $15 investment in these ingredients should yield enough detergent for about 450 loads making it about 3 cents per load, plus the cost of the vinegar.

JoShan1719
05-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the tips! For the first time ever I'm looking forward to laundry tomorrow lol

Duckyiam71
05-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Also check out this site called The Wonders of Vinegar (http://www.forestsong.com/html/the_wonders_of_vinegar.html) and look at the section marked 60 uses for Vinegar. You'd be surprised what this little wonder of nature can do. This was supposed to quote Carl Fredrickson. Dont know what happened there?

Thanks for the tip and this great website! Vinegar is so cheap too!:laundy:

Carl Fredricksen
05-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I hate to keep going on about this, but vinegar is such an underused and cheap substance in everyday life!

I know it sound gross (and does take some getting used to), but if you plan to use vinegar as a health remedy (upset stomach) or as a daily drink mix, use Bragg's Organic (http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html). It contains what they call the "mother" which is a very nutritional substance that is in the bottom of the bottle. The standard apple cider vinegar in most grocery stores does not have this. You can find Braggs at health food chains and some gourmet grocery stores.

I drink 2oz of Bragg's mixed with 8 oz. of water twice a day to help with my diet goals and cholesterol. And believe it or not, as gross as it tastes, this mix is the best thing in the world for killing an upset stomach. You'd think it would make you barf, but it really settles the stomach acid right down. And it's great for cleaning your teeth, helping your skin tone, and strengthening your teeth and fingernails all at the same time.

Anyway, I could keep going, but I'll just let the vinegar do the talking from here on out....:laughing:

JoShan1719
05-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Also check out this site called The Wonders of Vinegar (http://www.forestsong.com/html/the_wonders_of_vinegar.html) and look at the section marked 60 uses for Vinegar. You'd be surprised what this little wonder of nature can do. This was supposed to quote Carl Fredrickson. Dont know what happened there?

Thanks for the tip and this great website! Vinegar is so cheap too!:laundy:

The "[/QUOTE]" portion at the end of his quote was deleted.

lisaross
05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Can u mix the vinegar in with the detergent? as for the softner u need to put it in at a certain time in my machine - too much work - so if i can just mix it w/the detergent i might give it a try..

figment52
05-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Can u mix the vinegar in with the detergent? as for the softner u need to put it in at a certain time in my machine - too much work - so if i can just mix it w/the detergent i might give it a try..

I have added the vinegar at the beginning and it still works just as well as in the rinse water.

Carl Fredricksen
05-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Personally, I just dump the detergent and vinegar in and start up the washer.

dgthree
05-16-2010, 08:02 AM

I pour vinegar into a Downy ball & toss it in at the beginning of the wash cycle. The ball opens up in the rinse. Seems to work for me. I haven't used fabric softener in 5 years.

Pembo
05-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I started using vinegar instead of fabric softener after I tried cleaning out the fs holder in the washer. It was so nasty with residue, blech. Vinegar works great. I use Bounce sheets in the dryer to get rid of static. I've found you can use the same sheet for 2 loads and then they make great shower door cleaners.

cm8
05-16-2010, 08:57 AM
I hate to keep going on about this, but vinegar is such an underused and cheap substance in everyday life!

I know it sound gross (and does take some getting used to), but if you plan to use vinegar as a health remedy (upset stomach) or as a daily drink mix, use Bragg's Organic (http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html). It contains what they call the "mother" which is a very nutritional substance that is in the bottom of the bottle. The standard apple cider vinegar in most grocery stores does not have this. You can find Braggs at health food chains and some gourmet grocery stores.

I drink 2oz of Bragg's mixed with 8 oz. of water twice a day to help with my diet goals and cholesterol. And believe it or not, as gross as it tastes, this mix is the best thing in the world for killing an upset stomach. You'd think it would make you barf, but it really settles the stomach acid right down. And it's great for cleaning your teeth, helping your skin tone, and strengthening your teeth and fingernails all at the same time.

Anyway, I could keep going, but I'll just let the vinegar do the talking from here on out....:laughing:

:thumbsup2, we use Braggs to make our foods as well!

Sarah_Rose
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the tip! I need to start buying gallon jugs of white vinegar, asap! We bought a new washer/dryer a couple months ago and they've been designated fabric softener free zones, as I'm going to be cloth diapering once my little one arrives this summer, and I've heard that fabric softener (even the residue in the washer/dryer - I read one DIS member's rant that her diapers were plastered in the stuff after washing them in a WDW resort laundry room) can ruin cloth diapers by making them less absorbent. The only problem is, my towels are so scratchy, now! :lmao:

One more random vinegar use: white vinegar cures the hiccups, 100% of the time! Just pour about an ounce (or a "shot") in a cup and then drink it down quickly in one gulp. It's nasty, but your hiccups will be gone immediately!

JoShan1719
05-16-2010, 12:11 PM
One more random vinegar use: white vinegar cures the hiccups, 100% of the time! Just pour about an ounce (or a "shot") in a cup and then drink it down quickly in one gulp. It's nasty, but your hiccups will be gone immediately!

I don't think I could drink vinegar. I'll stick with my method: teaspoon of sugar. Works every time!

Dizneydaz
05-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the tip OP.:goodvibes I will definitely give it a try. I stopped using fabric softener awhile ago after reading about causes of dry skin (book written by my dermatologist). Years ago I read about not using fabric softener on towels, especially 100% cotton, as it makes them less absorbent.

I use vinegar and water on our windows; to get hard water off counters (especially around the faucet); and thanks to a recommendation from my granite installer, about a 1:3 mix of vinegar and water to clean our granite coutertops. Works great!

We buy our vinegar at WM. I think I'm going to check at Sams and see how much they sell it for (and if I can fit the huge container in my pantry;) )

Octoberbride03
05-16-2010, 01:27 PM
White Vinegar is also a natural De-greaser as well. When I clean the kitchen I pour a little on my wet washcloth and it cleans the stove nicely. This is on a regular stove.

njsweetP
05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Has anyone ever used the white distilled vinegar as a hair rinse? If so, how?

Cruise
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM

I've never used white distilled vinegar for this. It's always been apple cider vinegar that I've seen recommended as a hair rinse. When I do it, I use 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water.

apnep
05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Going back to the laundry thing, in addition to using Vinegar, I started making my own laundry detergent...My $15 investment in these ingredients should yield enough detergent for about 450 loads making it about 3 cents per load, plus the cost of the vinegar.

So, what do you keep your soap concoction in after you've made it?? Is it ok to use in the front loaders?

Ang

DaniB
05-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm willing to give this a try!

Can anyone tell me if it can be used in a front loader, that calls for the HD only detergent? Or is it HE? Something like that...

phred52
05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm willing to give this a try!

Can anyone tell me if it can be used in a front loader, that calls for the HD only detergent? Or is it HE? Something like that...

I actually use that recipe for my laundry soap, too. (I make like a quadruple batch since my kids like to take some home with them after a visit..) I also have a front loader washer. So, yes you can.

Carl Fredricksen
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
So, what do you keep your soap concoction in after you've made it?? Is it ok to use in the front loaders?

Ang

I had a friend at work who was willing to try it on her front loader, and after some coaxing she said it worked great. She is now making her own as well.

figment52
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM

Ang

I have mine in a plastic container will a locking lid. Anything with a lid should work fine.

Disney Khi
05-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the tip! I need to start buying gallon jugs of white vinegar, asap! We bought a new washer/dryer a couple months ago and they've been designated fabric softener free zones, as I'm going to be cloth diapering once my little one arrives this summer, and I've heard that fabric softener (even the residue in the washer/dryer - I read one DIS member's rant that her diapers were plastered in the stuff after washing them in a WDW resort laundry room) can ruin cloth diapers by making them less absorbent. The only problem is, my towels are so scratchy, now! :lmao:

I use vinegar for all of my diaper loads and it works great! I have mostly cotton prefolds and a had a few cotton fitteds for the newborn stage. You might want to check and make sure the vinegar is safe if you have any fleece-lined diapers. I think it's probably fine but the pocket and all in ones can be a bit finicky to wash I've heard.

mad hatter fan
05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I had read a post a while back that said that the home made laundry detergent can fade colors. Has anyone noticed this happening? I am interested in trying to make some but am wondering if I should not use it on my darks? :confused3

tanyabanana
05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I have been making my own laundry soap for about a year and haven't noticed any fading, and I wear dark blue shirts for work everyday.
I can't believe how much of my money Tide got from me before but never again.
I am glad to find the vinegar tips and will try adding that as well.
:flower3:

jerseygirl81
05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I just did a load of laundry with the vinegar and I'm anxious to see them when they are dry. My Mom had a piece of furniture delivered and the man asked her if she polished her kitchen cabinets which she did he told her she had a wax build up and to clean them with vinegar and water to bring back the she so she did and they looked like new. Linda :)

Debbie-TN
05-16-2010, 07:00 PM
That's very interesting about putting it in you laundry. I'll have to try that.

It also works great for cleaning out you coffee maker. My family puts vinegar on their green beans:scared:. I always thought that was gross. Does anyone else do that?

phred52
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
My Dad always put vinegar on his cooked spinach. :sad2: Green beans got butter added.

heatherleigh
05-16-2010, 08:31 PM
How funny you posted this, I JUST got done washing some towels in white vinegar. The reason I'm doing it, is in a last ditch attempt to get the mold smell out of them. If this doesn't work, I'm probably going to have to toss them...

dispor
05-16-2010, 08:33 PM

It also works great for cleaning out you coffee maker. My family puts vinegar on their green beans:scared:. I always thought that was gross. Does anyone else do that?

I had almost forgotten about this! Yes, my mom did it when we were growing up. Not sure where she got it from. My father was from Pennsylvania Dutch country. Maybe from there?

My father also used to put vinegar, salt, pepper, and a little sugar on tomatoes. Served with a slice of butter bread. Yum!

clj1410
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I use vinegar to get stains out of my carpets. Just pour it on and let it sit for a minute and then blot it out with a white cloth.

It worked wonders when my DD had the stomach bug and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time and the night befores dinner ended up on the carpet (spag & meatballs)!

2TxAgs
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM
A few years back a wise mom told me to use vinegar in the wash to clean soccer socks and get the smell out - it worked!

apnep
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM

1. Grate 1/2 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap (or you can try other soaps) in a food processor or cheese grater.
2. 1 cup 20 Mule Borax
4. 1 cup Baking soda.
5. Process until mixed.
That’s it. It takes 5 minutes. Use about 2 tablespoons per full load of laundry.

OK, one last question. Sorry if this is dumb. When you grate the soap, is it fine or just a normal big grate? I told you it was dumb but I'm going to try it! :)

Ang

drgreene1096
05-16-2010, 09:52 PM
What is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda? I've never heard of it.

buckler
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
What is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda? I've never heard of it.

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/laundry-boosters/Products/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-detergent-booster.aspx)

hapandpam
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
The title of this thread caught my attention and I read through it. When I read about the person making her own laundry detergent, I vaguely remembered hearing something years ago advising against using soap to wash children's flame resistant pajamas, but I couldn't remember the specifics so I did some research. I found out that if you do buy flame resistant pajamas for your child, you should not use soaps to launder them. The reason cited was soaps contain fats and laundry detergents don't. The fats break down the chemical they use to make the material flame resistant. (I also came across a whole controversy about the use of the flame retardant chemicals in children's pj's, but that is a whole new topic.)

I don't know if all soap contains these fats, but it is something you might want to investigate if you are considering making your own laundry cleaner and you have children.

pilesoflaundry
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
A few years back a wise mom told me to use vinegar in the wash to clean soccer socks and get the smell out - it worked!

It works great on all uniforms and gym clothes. I use it in the wash on hubby's pt uniforms and it's also the best thing to get the funk out of stuff they wear in the field. (you military spouses know what I'm talking about, that stuff can stink!)

I always keep vinegar in the house. It's great for glass cleaning and other clean up. Thanks for reminding me to put it in the towels. I've been forgetting lately.

elle bell
05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the tip! I use vinegar to mop my kitchen and bathroom floors, but I've never thought to use it in the laundry. I personally love the way my floors smell after cleaning them with vinegar. It reminds me of being at my grandma's house as a little girl.

billwendy
05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Im very tempted to try both the vinegar and the homeade laundry detergent. Question - doesnt everything smell like vinegar when you are done? Does vinegar get your whites white? Im curious about the soap grating also....:thumbsup2

ANyone have a good idea for cleaner that you put into the shower sprayer (the automatic one where you push the button - Scrubbing Bubbles maybe?)????

Thanks!!

turkeymama
05-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Im very tempted to try both the vinegar and the homeade laundry detergent. Question - doesnt everything smell like vinegar when you are done? Does vinegar get your whites white? Im curious about the soap grating also....:thumbsup2

ANyone have a good idea for cleaner that you put into the shower sprayer (the automatic one where you push the button - Scrubbing Bubbles maybe?)????

Thanks!!

I use vinegar to clean my floors and windows (and sometimes in the laundry with towels). Once the vinegar dries, the smell goes away, but the house does smell cleaner and fresher once it dries.

ETA: I also use vinegar and baking soda to clean the shower. It's the only thing the truly gets the soap scum off the shower door.

Carl Fredricksen
05-17-2010, 01:06 AM
OK, one last question. Sorry if this is dumb. When you grate the soap, is it fine or just a normal big grate? I told you it was dumb but I'm going to try it! :)

Ang

I grated mine as fine as I could so it would blend with the soap powder. You can us a food processor if you don't want to grate it by hand.

njsweetP
05-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm assuming you all are talking about white distilled vinegar when it comes to cleaning and laundry right? except for using apple cider vinegar for a hair rinse.

Carl Fredricksen
05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm assuming you all are talking about white distilled vinegar when it comes to cleaning and laundry right? except for using apple cider vinegar for a hair rinse.

Yep. Standard cheapo white vinegar for laundry.

njsweetP
05-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Yep. Standard cheapo white vinegar for laundry.

Thank you!

snowgooseltd
05-17-2010, 06:28 AM

My husband puts vinegar on his cooked spinach. Of course, we're original New Englanders so we use vinegar on our french fries and fried fish, also steamed periwinckles....what can I say????we have weird tastes!!

snowgooseltd
05-17-2010, 06:29 AM
How funny you posted this, I JUST got done washing some towels in white vinegar. The reason I'm doing it, is in a last ditch attempt to get the mold smell out of them. If this doesn't work, I'm probably going to have to toss them...

Did it work??

dumboiu
05-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know if you can use a little vinegar when washing hardwood floors?

billwendy
05-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Question - can you use this when you wash in cold water (the soap mixture?). Also, is it good for sensitive skin?

Mickeyfollowers
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
This is a great thread. I will be going to the store this weekend and buying a jug of white vinegar and washing all my towels even if they are not dirty, I could never get them soft. I also will be trying it on my floors, I have a very good sense or smell and all the cleaning product smell stick in my nose for days. Thanks for all the ideas.:thumbsup2

WeLuvDiznee
05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank-you everyone for your great tips in vinegar! I stopped putting fabric softner in with my towels awhile back after reading in a Martha Stewart Magazine,that it will lessen the absorbency of the towels.And, I noticed that my washer stinks if I don't keep the door open all the time,like a mildew smell.I have a front loader,so I'm going to try the vinegar for certain.

labdogs42
05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't use fabric softener on my towels because of the absorbency issue. I'm goign to try the vinegar thing to see if it makes them softer but still absorbent. I had heard of this tip before, but I keep forgetting to try it! Thanks!

As for the homemade laundry soap, is this stuff a liquid or a powder? Does it have any scent? I like unscented laundry detergent, so I want to make sure if I make it myself, it won't have some perfumey smell!

Mickeyfollowers
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Thank-you everyone for your great tips in vinegar! I stopped putting fabric softner in with my towels awhile back after reading in a Martha Stewart Magazine,that it will lessen the absorbency of the towels.And, I noticed that my washer stinks if I don't keep the door open all the time,like a mildew smell.I have a front loader,so I'm going to try the vinegar for certain.

I just bought a front loader a couple of weeks ago, I did research on them looking at reviews that buyers posted and said they had the same problems with the mildew smell. They suggested and the manual also stated this, you should wipe down the rubber gasket and the door after your last use and keep the door opened to dry out. Like I said I have only had a couple of weeks and hoping that it doesnt get the mildew smell.

julezdisney
05-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Great tip! THANKS!

dgthree
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't use fabric softener on my towels because of the absorbency issue. I'm goign to try the vinegar thing to see if it makes them softer but still absorbent. I had heard of this tip before, but I keep forgetting to try it! Thanks!

As for the homemade laundry soap, is this stuff a liquid or a powder? Does it have any scent? I like unscented laundry detergent, so I want to make sure if I make it myself, it won't have some perfumey smell!

The soap recipe upthread is a powder. Can't tell you about the smell, as it depends on the soap you use - that's the only scented component.

I remember the Duggar family making a liquid soap on one of their shows - when I did a search, this is the recipe I came up with (can't check their site, as it's blocked at my work, but here's a link you could try - http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html).

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

apnep
05-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I just bought a front loader a couple of weeks ago, I did research on them looking at reviews that buyers posted and said they had the same problems with the mildew smell. They suggested and the manual also stated this, you should wipe down the rubber gasket and the door after your last use and keep the door opened to dry out. Like I said I have only had a couple of weeks and hoping that it doesnt get the mildew smell.

I've had my front loaders for a couple of years now and I've always used the vinegar as a softner and have never had a problem with smell. I also do wipe down the rubber gasket when I am done laundering for day and leave it open to air dry too.

Ang

phred52
05-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Question - can you use this when you wash in cold water (the soap mixture?). Also, is it good for sensitive skin?

I wash mostly in cold with the homemade powder and vinegar. Works great.

I started doing this back when my DD #2 was a very itchy kid. Once I realized she scratched in her sleep, all night long, we went to the allergist and dermatologist. The cure for her was to eliminate fabric softner and perfumes and dyes in laundry detergent. Made a HUGE difference in her life!

labdogs42
05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
The soap recipe upthread is a powder. Can't tell you about the smell, as it depends on the soap you use - that's the only scented component.

I remember the Duggar family making a liquid soap on one of their shows - when I did a search, this is the recipe I came up with (can't check their site, as it's blocked at my work, but here's a link you could try - http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html).

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

That's the recipe I have seen before. Sounds like that one is just a bigger pain to store, huh? The ingredients are about the same as the powder stuff. I think I'll try the powder recipe. Seems MUCH easier to deal with! I think I never tried this because I couldn't figure out what I'd do with 10 gallons of detergent!

2thfairy
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm definatly going to try using this for laundry. I have stopped using fabric softner due to a dr's recomendation. Never know how bad that stuff was.

I also use vinegar in my dishwasher instead of jet dry. It does not leave a vinegar taste or smell and the dishes come out spotless still. Saves a ton of money. also helps keep the inside of the washer clean and good for the elements inside it.

disneydonna
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
We have a well. I use vinegar for everything! Put about 1/4 cup at the end of the dishwasher cycle and your glasses come out sparkling!

Berrie
05-17-2010, 05:01 PM
This is so interesting! I've got to try vinegar in the laundry and dishwasher.
Thanks for the tips!

triciari
05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I can't wait to wash more clothes!!

manhattan
05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
I recently had one of my son's friend stay with us after a fire at his house. I washed and washed his clothes and could not get the smell of fire out. I googled and found someone recommending vinegar to remove the odor....sure enough, it worked! Have used it a few times to remove odor, but will start using it as a softener too.

MANDY48449
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I use vinegar to clean the coffee pot, and to clean the drains just add a little baking soda with it..

minnie1928
05-17-2010, 07:59 PM
My family puts vinegar on their green beans:scared:. I always thought that was gross. Does anyone else do that?

My family did that too when I was growing up! I haven't done it in ages, mostly because no one (other than me) in my family eat green beans. :confused3

I use vinegar in the washer, dishwasher, to clean out drains (with baking soda), and to clean windows.

Aisling
05-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I can't wait to wash more clothes!!

Me, too!:rotfl:

HappyGilmore
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Wonder if BP has thought to try it in the Gulf of Mexico- I bet it would work

apnep
05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Wonder if BP has thought to try it in the Gulf of Mexico- I bet it would work

Ha! Good one! :lmao:

superme80
05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Just did 2 loads today!!!! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to sleep on my sheets!!!! Laid down and wow!!! Oh so soft!!!! :cool1:

superme80
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Just did 2 loads today!!!! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to sleep on my sheets!!!! Laid down and wow!!! Oh so soft!!!! :cool1: Thank you for the tip!!!!!

mickeymaker2003
05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
For those of you with front loaders, I keep my door cracked open all the time. I have one of those big round magnetic wreath holders they sell at Christmas (it is about a three inch round vinyl coated magnet). It sticks to the front of the machine. I can put it overlapping the door opening so the door won't close, but it still looks mostly shut (not hanging wide open). When I want to do laundry, I just move it to the side and it stays stuck to the washer until I need it again. Mine is white on my white washer so it is barely noticeable.

disneyhand
05-17-2010, 11:30 PM
My Mom always cleaned with vinegar. There are so many good uses for it already mentioned, here's another one for food. Simple and tasty if you like sour!

My Mom used to pickle cucumbers. My picky children wouldn't eat them although they loved store bought dill pickles :confused3. Years ago my friend told me her family always peeled and sliced cukes and put them in a covered container with water and vinegar and nothing else. Shake it. Keep in frig.

Never gave me a ratio of the liquids so I just guess every time I make it. My kids love them and call them sour cucumbers. We like the cukes crunchy so we usually make only a couple days worth at a time.

sameyeyam
05-18-2010, 12:08 AM
For those of you using vinegar instead of fabric softener, try using tinfoil balls in the dryer to help eliminate static. I know it sounds weird, but put two balls of tinfoil in the dryer. I just loosely crumple up tinfoil and throw them in, they last for a week or two of drying. I make mine a little smaller then the size of a baseball. They don't work quite as good as fabric softener, but they do help somewhat with the static problem.

If you are using dryer sheets, you can also cut them in half. They still work just as good and then they go twice as far and cost half the price.

Carl Fredricksen
05-18-2010, 03:23 AM

As mentioned, it is a powder. It does have the Fels-Naptha smell when in the storage container, but it doesn't seem to transfer to the clothes after they are washed. I was concerned to because I prefer unscented as well, and it does just fine by me.

But the soap smell does keep the laundry room smelling good!

jenseib
05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Only read the 1st page, sorry, if this was asked. Can you use it with oxy clean powder? I normally put a scoop of oxy clean in each load.

mamo-4-wdw
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the great tips. I usually use vinegar to clean the coffee maker and we do the cucumber thing too. Some of the family puts vinegar on turnip greens.

apnep
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
As mentioned, it is a powder. It does have the Fels-Naptha smell when in the storage container, but it doesn't seem to transfer to the clothes after they are washed. I was concerned to because I prefer unscented as well, and it does just fine by me.

But the soap smell does keep the laundry room smelling good!

Carl,

So I saw someone mentioned it being bad to have fat in the soap...does Fels-Naptha have any? I thought all liquid soaps had some fat content in it and that's why they are bad for the front loaders...including the HE kind. I could be wrong.

I have a couple of bars of Zote soap (the pink bar) and was going to just use those but I notice they have fat in them...

Ang

jenseib
05-18-2010, 08:06 AM

As a hairdresser, we have always used white vinegar for hair rinses. never heard of using apple cider vinegar for that.

It's good for perking up curls. (we used to recommend it when perms were really in)

Also a little off topic, but a good way to get build up out of your hair, and medicines, is to use baking soda....shampoo, make a paste with the baking soda, let it sit 5 minutes, rinse...shmpoo again and then condition really well. (It wil ldry your hair out) We used to use this before all perms to get any of the medine or foreign traces out that can affect the way a perm comes out.

njsweetP
05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
As a hairdresser, we have always used white vinegar for hair rinses. never heard of using apple cider vinegar for that.

It's good for perking up curls. (we used to recommend it when perms were really in)

Also a little off topic, but a good way to get build up out of your hair, and medicines, is to use baking soda....shampoo, make a paste with the baking soda, let it sit 5 minutes, rinse...shmpoo again and then condition really well. (It wil ldry your hair out) We used to use this before all perms to get any of the medine or foreign traces out that can affect the way a perm comes out.

Thank you! I like the tip about perking up the curls. I did a rinse with white vinegar and then a rinse with apple cider vinegar. I liked both, couldn't really tell a difference.

ceecee
05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I always used vinegar in my top loader since you could open it while it was running. My front loader obviously does not stop mid cycle. Where do you add the vinegar with the detergent or in the softner area? My washer and towels smell really bad...I leave the door open all day and wipe it out. I bought some Tide cleaner for the washer and it smelled terrible!!! Too much fragrance.

katied
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I always used vinegar in my top loader since you could open it while it was running. My front loader obviously does not stop mid cycle. Where do you add the vinegar with the detergent or in the softner area? My washer and towels smell really bad...I leave the door open all day and wipe it out. I bought some Tide cleaner for the washer and it smelled terrible!!! Too much fragrance.

I've put the vinegar in the place of fabric softner for my front loader. It's worked great! I also never close the door on my front loader - so it can dry out. That way, I don't have any smell issues.

To get rid of the smell issue if you already have it, run an empty cycle on extra hot, and instead of soap, put 1/2 cup of vinegar in the soap dispenser. This should clear out your washer (some folks use bleach instead of vinegar - up to you, but I'm not fond of using bleach for anything).

Good luck.

njsweetP
05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Ok, so I've been going crazy (cleaning) since I started reading this thread.
Has anyone tried using 50% water/50% vinegar solution on their stainless steel? It's wonderful!!!! Cleans and shines!!! I think I read somewhere that vinegar can be used as a deodorizer, is this true? I just cleaned DD's whole bathroom using vinegar from mirror to tub, sink to floor! The room is shinin'!

ceecee
05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I've put the vinegar in the place of fabric softner for my front loader. It's worked great! I also never close the door on my front loader - so it can dry out. That way, I don't have any smell issues.

To get rid of the smell issue if you already have it, run an empty cycle on extra hot, and instead of soap, put 1/2 cup of vinegar in the soap dispenser. This should clear out your washer (some folks use bleach instead of vinegar - up to you, but I'm not fond of using bleach for anything).

Good luck.

Thanks! I will try anything to get rid of the smell.

imagine
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Anyone know if you can use the homemade soap and/or that much vinegar when you have a septic system? I seem to hear conflicting reports, so curious if any of you using that are on septic? Our's is a very simple, gravity fed system, no pumps/mechanical parts, etc.... I'd love to do this, but want to be sure it isn't harder on my septic system. I know you are to use liquids with septic, so I assume I would have to go the liquid route?

Thanks for any insight!!

FoundMyPrince
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I did 2 loads of towels in my laundry today. First load, I used the last of the vinegar. For my second load of towels, I was out of vinegar, and the towels were washed exactly the same way but without the usual vinegar added.

WHAT a HUGE difference! I never really noticed before. First load is soft. Second load is ...well....not. Actually they feel scratchy, it is a very noticable difference. Got to go stock up on vinegar! :laundy:

Thank you for the tip! I washed several loads of laundry yesterday :laundy: and added the vinegar in the fabric softener area -- worked great!!

SnowWtch
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I understand you put the vinegar in the fabric softener place in the machine but how much do you use? Do you think it would help get the stains out of a shower mat? I tried washing it and it's still discolored. It's one of those non-slip mats that go in the bottom of the tub.

tink576
05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I use 1/4 cup per load. Don't know about getting stains out. You could give it a try and let us know;)

sameyeyam
05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Anyone know if you can use the homemade soap and/or that much vinegar when you have a septic system? I seem to hear conflicting reports, so curious if any of you using that are on septic? Our's is a very simple, gravity fed system, no pumps/mechanical parts, etc.... I'd love to do this, but want to be sure it isn't harder on my septic system. I know you are to use liquids with septic, so I assume I would have to go the liquid route?

Thanks for any insight!!

I'm on septic and have used both liquid & powder, both homemade and also store bought. So far no problems. We have our septic pumped about every 4 years, just to get rid of the sludge, kind of a preventative maintenance kind of thing. I also use vinegar in my wash and have no problems.

I think as long as your septic is getting a good mixture of water, solids to help bacteria grow, etc. you shouldn't have any problems. I think it's when you use a LOT of something that you have problems (like vinegar, bleach, etc) that it will cause the bacteria to die off.

Grease is probably the number 1 problem in septics. As long as you aren't pouring a ton of vinegar or bleach down the drains you should be fine.:thumbsup2

alicia080979
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I burnt my hand cooking dinner tonight and within a few seconds you could see a blister start to form in all the red swolleness. I just happened to read this thread last night and the links within about all the uses of vinegar. I had DH grab the vinegar and poured some on a paper towel and held on my hand for a few minutes. The pain, redness and swelling went down and no blister formed!!! I couldn't believe it! So thank you Vinegar lovers for saving me from a painful burn tonight :worship:

Carl Fredricksen
05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Carl,

So I saw someone mentioned it being bad to have fat in the soap...does Fels-Naptha have any? I thought all liquid soaps had some fat content in it and that's why they are bad for the front loaders...including the HE kind. I could be wrong.

I have a couple of bars of Zote soap (the pink bar) and was going to just use those but I notice they have fat in them...

Ang

Maybe someone with more chemistry knowledge than I can chime in. The list of ingredients is on the front of their webpage HERE (http://www.felsnaptha.com/). The only thing I see in that list (I used to do IT work for a soap company) is glycerin which is a byproduct of the fat rendering process in making bar soap. But the glycerin is usually refined off and used separately for other things than soap.

The only information I have found on HE detergents is that they are specifically concentrated to be low sud formulas, which this homemade one is as well. I haven't seen anything about the fat content in the soaps, but I don't have a front loader so will not claim to be an expert at all.

HERE (http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-he.jspx) is the ingredient list for Tide HE (for comparison), which has Ethanol in it :scared1:. But it lists sodium fatty acids which usually translates to animal fat. The Fels-Naptha does not list this as an ingredient.

I also find it amusing that the Tide uses Borax as an ingredient, which is a primary ingredient in the home made soap :laughing:

Carl Fredricksen
05-18-2010, 11:01 PM

If I had the option, I would put 1/8 to 1/4 cup in the softener area, so it would release later in the cycle.

apnep
05-19-2010, 12:28 AM

Ceecee, I have a front loader. I put the vinegar in the softener compartment before I start the load.

Ang

apnep
05-19-2010, 12:30 AM
HERE (http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-he.jspx) is the ingredient list for Tide HE (for comparison), which has Ethanol in it :scared1:.

I also find it amusing that the Tide uses Borax as an ingredient, which is a primary ingredient in the home made soap :laughing:

Yikes. I'm going to check the ingredients on my laundry soap now.

Thanks for all the tips. You've been most helpful! I can't wait to run out of soap now so I can make my own!

Ang

Nicolepa
05-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Going back to the laundry thing, in addition to using Vinegar, I started making my own laundry detergent, because it was just getting so expensive. Mix this with 1/4 cup of vinegar in every load, and IMO you'd be hard pressed to find anything on the shelf that works as good. Also, it's dirt cheap to make. All our clothes come out so much cleaner and softer using this:

2. 1 cup 20 Mule Borax
4. 1 cup Baking soda.
5. Process until mixed.

Fels Naptha, Borax and Washing Soda are usually available in the Laundry Aisle of your grocery store. Ivory soap can be substituted if your local store does not carry Fels Naptha.

My $15 investment in these ingredients should yield enough detergent for about 450 loads making it about 3 cents per load, plus the cost of the vinegar.

You only use 2 TBS? I recently started making my own detergent but the book said to use 1/2 cup per load. At 1/2 cup I couldn't possibly figure out why everyone said it was cheaper, but I loved how white my clothes were getting. I gave up when I grated my finger 2 weeks ago (very painful even 2 weeks later). But if I can use only 2 TBS and get the same results I'm all for that!

Aryn
05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I have bought the ingredients and made the soap, now I just need to convince my DH that this will work. He is such a skeptic, but I asked him how he thought people washed clothes before Tide and stuff like that. I guess we will see if the recipe cleans his clothes as well as Tide. I have faith, the DIS boards have never let me down before!!:rotfl2:
I will post and let everyone know how it went after my first load.
I have a top loader and will use 2TBS plus 1/4 cup vinegar.

Wish me luck!!!

apnep
05-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I have bought the ingredients and made the soap, now I just need to convince my DH that this will work. He is such a skeptic, but I asked him how he thought people washed clothes before Tide and stuff like that. I guess we will see if the recipe cleans his clothes as well as Tide. I have faith, the DIS boards have never let me down before!!:rotfl2:

Wish me luck!!!

Well??! I'm dying to know! :)

Maleficent's Folly
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Ceecee, I have a front loader. I put the vinegar in the softener compartment before I start the load.

Ditto on front loader.

Aryn
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Success!! I washed and dried a load last night and they are so clean! My DH was very impressed. He is very picky about the softness of clothes and he had no complaints. The whites were white and he had workout clothes in the wash and they came out so clean!!! Plus I am saving a ton of money, so everyone is happy.
Thanks to the poster who gave me the recipe.

charming23
05-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I used vinegar for the first time yesterday while washing a load of towels and WOW!!!!!. They came out so fluffy and clean.

Thanks for the tip. I will be using vinegar from now on.

jenseib
05-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I didn't notice a singel difference in clothes with vinegar. I never use fabric softenr. What is the "big" difference I should see?

Crystal0608
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I love vinegar. I cook fresh green beans in water with a spoon or so of sugar and a couple dashes of apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a *must* in turnip greens, spinach, well any greens, turnips, and cucumbers. I love malt vinegar on fries and balsamic vinegar cooked with chicken. I also use apple cider vinegar to make homemade salad dressing w/ oj, olive oil, & s&p. I also drink homemade pickle juice after I finish off the pickles.

I'm not a huge fan of the white distilled for eating, but great for cleaning & laundry. I don't smoke, but I've saw cups of it on counters of households that do to get rid off the odor. I keep a small dish of vinegar mixed with dawn to kill nats this time of year with fresh produce on the counter/windowsill. I put the vinegar in with my detergent when I do the laundry.

thebeesknees
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
I had a quilt made by my great-grandmother that had some stains and odors. I soaked it in detergent and Oxy-clean for several hours, then washed it. Most of the stains came out, but I could still smell the odors. So I re-soaked it with Oxy-clean and vinegar. The smell came out completely this time. I don't know if it is the vinegar or the Oxy-clean that did it, but thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who has a tough odor to remove from clothing.

DMOMof3
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
WOW, can't wait to go home and do laundry tonight, lol :laundy:

mrodgers
05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I have to wonder, does vinegar work the same as using Borax in the laundry?

We have a front loader washer and well water. When we run the washer, the water absolutely stinks. There is nothing wrong with the water, we even drink it straight from the ground. We have no filters or anything on our well. We test it often as well.

We've always had problems with the water, and as a result our clothes, stinking. The entire basement will also stink from the water (laundry is in the basement and runs into a sump pump.) I got to thinking Borax one day and told my wife to pick some up. We tried it and bingo! No more stinky water or clothes. Clothes came out much cleaner as well.

Is this the same with vinegar, or are you just using vinegar as only a softener?

phred52
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I have to wonder, does vinegar work the same as using Borax in the laundry?

We have a front loader washer and well water. When we run the washer, the water absolutely stinks. There is nothing wrong with the water, we even drink it straight from the ground. We have no filters or anything on our well. We test it often as well.

We've always had problems with the water, and as a result our clothes, stinking. The entire basement will also stink from the water (laundry is in the basement and runs into a sump pump.) I got to thinking Borax one day and told my wife to pick some up. We tried it and bingo! No more stinky water or clothes. Clothes came out much cleaner as well.

Is this the same with vinegar, or are you just using vinegar as only a softener?

My reason for using the vinegar is as a softner. I don't seem to have an odor issue with laundry or water. You could experiment with a load or two and see if the vinegar deals with the problem. Would be a nice savings if it works!

Aisling
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I just bought my first gallon of vinegar! I always get the small bottles, so DH said "what do you need all that vinegar for?" :laughing:

I have a PottyPatch on my back deck for my dog and the urine smell was really strong, even though I hose it down everyday, someones 3 or 4 times a day. I've used pine and other cleaners on it to get rid of the smell, but the mix of the two scents made it worse.

Well, i poured some vinegar on it and after about an hour, the smell is gone! I was afraid the vinegar smell on the Potty Patch would stop my dog from using it, but he's using it just as usual.

So another :thumbsup2 for vinegar!

hipchickie
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I have turned into a vinegar freak in the last few months, I never used fabric softener before, but I dried my clothes in the dryer. Now I use vinegar, give them a toss in the dryer just to get off the lint and pet hair, and dry on the line - things feel just as soft! I too ran out once, and I tried to wash and hang out a towel UGH, it was as stiff as a board!!

I have also gotten a steam cleaner, and between that and vinegar, i have gotten rid of all my cleaning chemicals :thumbsup2

natale1980
05-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Did any one else read this as, "holy cow! WHAT a difference viagra makes!"

LOL! :rotfl2:

-nat

momtosam
05-20-2010, 10:09 PM

We do that here! I thought it was a PA Dutch thing. My father holds a knife over the opening of the vinegar bottle to drizzle it out.

momtosam
05-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I didn't have time to read all the posts, but I'm so excited to try this. I have two kids with eczema, so fabric softener is a no-no. I can't wait to get my fluffy wash back after years of not using softener.:laundy:

Carl Fredricksen
05-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Only read the 1st page, sorry, if this was asked. Can you use it with oxy clean powder? I normally put a scoop of oxy clean in each load.

Here (http://modcottage.com/?p=117) is a recipe to actually uses a small dose of Oxy Clean, instead of the Baking Soda I have in the one I use (also has a little more Fels-Naptha). I have not tried it, as I am too cheap to buy the Oxy, but good luck if you give it a go (this site also promotes Vinegar for a fabric softener)

S.O.’s Home-Made Cheap Laundry Soap
1 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated (comes out to about 2 cups)
1 c Borax
1 c Washing Soda
1/4 c OxyClean (not necessary, but we add it)

You only use 2 TBS?...
...But if I can use only 2 TBS and get the same results I'm all for that!

Yep, 2 tbl is all we use, and the 4-5 "guinea pigs" I talked in to using this at work are using the same amount, even in HE machines. No one has seen anything but positive results with this amount so far.

Wish me luck!!!

Saw your later post, and glad to see it worked out so well! My DW is very discerning about our laundry as well, and she has been on board since the first load. :woohoo:

Nicolepa
05-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Yep, 2 tbl is all we use, and the 4-5 "guinea pigs" I talked in to using this at work are using the same amount, even in HE machines. No one has seen anything but positive results with this amount so far.

Cool! I will have to try it again using 2 TBL. Now that would be a huge cost savings. Not to mention I woulnd't have to make it as often. :-)

Carl Fredricksen
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Cool! I will have to try it again using 2 TBL. Now that would be a huge cost savings. Not to mention I woulnd't have to make it as often. :-)

I did a basic cost analysis on the mix I use, and it worked out to about .03 cents per load :yay:

Makes me wish I had all the money I have spent on detergent over the years back. I could probably pay for my kids college :eek:

billwendy
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

Where are you all finding the washing soda and Borax???? I cant seem to find it???:confused3

TexasTom
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks. I will go buy white distilled vinegar and put it in my laundry.

Nicolepa
05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

Where are you all finding the washing soda and Borax???? I cant seem to find it???:confused3

Borax should be pretty easy to find. I have found it at Target and every grocery store I've ever been in. The washing soda was harder to find. I finally found it at Fred Meyer. They are owned by Kroger so if you have a Kroger maybe try there?

mom2brina
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I've used vinegar in my laundry for about 2 years now. I like the smell of the softeners so I mix half and half.

Just a few months ago I started using it in my dishwasher. I had this horrible problem with a white powdery film left on the dishes. I was ready to buy a new dishwasher until a neighbor said she was having the same problem. That led me to believe it was the water, not the machine or soap since those were different. The first couple times I poured about 3 cups of vinegar in the bottom of the DW & ran a normal cycle. Now I use about 1-2 cups in every cycle along with a DW liquid or powder. I also poured the vinegar in my rinse aid spot. Works really well.

Another CHEAP cleaning agent I use is ammonia. Works really well on soap scum & cleaning grease off the stove. Just be careful of the fumes - especially in the shower! Dilute it with water.

Carl Fredricksen
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Borax should be pretty easy to find. I have found it at Target and every grocery store I've ever been in. The washing soda was harder to find. I finally found it at Fred Meyer. They are owned by Kroger so if you have a Kroger maybe try there?

I am very lucky. The local Kroger has the washing soda, Fels-Naptha, baking soda, and Borax all at the same place, but I noticed this has varied from store to store. Borax is also sold at some hardware stores.

ski_mom
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
The first couple times I poured about 3 cups of vinegar in the bottom of the DW & ran a normal cycle. Now I use about 1-2 cups in every cycle along with a DW liquid or powder. I also poured the vinegar in my rinse aid spot. Works really well.

We've had this problem in the past too - so do you still just pour the 1-2 cups in the bottom of the dishwasher and put the soap in it's compartment?

I'll have to try this.

LackeyGang
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow! This there are some really great tips! I can't wait to start laundry and dishes :rotfl:

khowell921
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow!!! I've added the vinegar to the laundry the past several washes. Without knowing this, my 10 year old son, said "Mom, are you sure these are my shirts, they feel so soft?" It really does work!!! Thanks so much for the tip. :worship::banana:

Friendly Frog
05-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't want to go back and read each post again. Would someone please post how much vinigar to add to the rince cycle if you use regular laundry soap.

OR

Will adding it to the soap cycle still make the cloths soft? If so how much do I add?

Thank you.

TexasTom
05-21-2010, 08:44 PM
This evening I went to Sam's and bought a box of 2- one gallon white distilled vinegar for $3.38. On the box, it lists 20 tips for vinegar. Laundry is not one of them but I will try it anyway. Thanks.

mom2brina
05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
We've had this problem in the past too - so do you still just pour the 1-2 cups in the bottom of the dishwasher and put the soap in it's compartment?

I'll have to try this.

Yep, I just pour it in the bottom every time. We go through a lot of vinegar at our house! But it is CHEAP!

luvillians
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
We love all the uses for vinegar! I do use it in the laundry and in a spray bottle for cleaning around the house. I will also add some lemon or orange essential oil to the spray bottle and mop water.
I never thought of using it in the dishwasher and have never noticed the list on the side of the Sam's Club box so I will be checking out both of those tomorrow. :goodvibes

When we used to host poker parties at our house years ago we allowed everyone to smoke in our house. Cigars and cigarette smoke was thick most of the evening. We would set out bowls of straight vinegar overnight and the smell would be gone in less than 24 hours. My mother would stop by the house the next afternoon and she couldn't smell and thing which is really saying something as she hates the smell.

Leshaface
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM
For the past three years, I've been making my own All-purpose cleaner (trying to go green) :thumbsup2

I bought a plain bottle spritzer (or use a windex bottle when it's all gone) and put the following:

-Fill the bottle half way with white vinegar
-Add one squirt of dish washing liquid (palmolive, joy, dawn, whatever you have)
-Add a few drops of essential oil (I use tea tree oil because it smells really clean; will try lavander once I'm out of tea tree)
-Fill the rest of the way up with water, and shake to incorporate

I use this mixture to clean sinks, counter tops, and bathtubs.

For a soft scrub for sinks I mix a few tablespoons of baking soda with a tiny squirt of dish washing liquid and add a little bit of water until a soft scrub is formed!

NancyIL
05-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I just added ~ 1/4 cup of vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser, and I'm washing a mixed load of towels and underwear. We'll see what happens! I love the smell of Downy, but it really does make a mess of the dispenser.

sydneysmom
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I just got done w/ 4 loads....sheets, towels, quilts. OMG!!!! :cool1: Seriously, this is the most amazing tip ever! Our white sheets are so clean, bright and soft. the towels are definately fluffier. I was very skeptical of this....the first thing I thought was ...."who wants the smell of vinegar on everything"....no smell whatsoever. :banana:

I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who has any doubt. I can't wait to tell my mom and my sister!!! thanks for posting this !! :thumbsup2

Arkansan
05-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I add vinegar to all my loads as well. It helps colored clothes (especially really dark ones like jeans and black clothes) keep their colors and resist fading. Years ago when the "Benneton rugby shirts" were in style (gotta love the '80s!) you needed to soak them in a mix of vinegar and water before you could wear them so the colors wouldn't run.

A neighbor told my mom this trick when they hosted a garage sale together. My mom commented on how unfaded the woman's clothes were and she told her the vinegar trick. I wash inside out, too, which also helps.

Vinegar is great for towels, because fabric softener builds up on them and makes them less absorbant. The vinegar softens without buildup.

ErinC
05-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Where do you buy your essential oil? I like the tea tree smell.

2BOYMOM
05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I just made my first batch of laundry powder. I couldn't find the Fels-Naptha, so I used Ivory soap. There is a Kroger about 6 miles from my house so maybe I'll swing by there tomorrow.

I first went to Wal Mart and all they had that I needed was the vinegar (gonna use that in my rinse) and the baking soda. So I went to a Hispanic grocery near my house and they had the Borax. At Harris Teeter (grocery) I found the washing soda. Can't wait for my load to be finished so I can see how it works! Doesn't take much to get me excited!

Friendly Frog
05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I just added ~ 1/4 cup of vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser, and I'm washing a mixed load of towels and underwear. We'll see what happens! I love the smell of Downy, but it really does make a mess of the dispenser.

Thank you

ceecee
05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Where do you buy your essential oil? I like the tea tree smell.

I buy Tea Tree oil at our health food store. HATE the smell though...supposed to be good for acne but you can't get it that close to your face! ;)

fab5friend99
05-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I have never heard of vinegar in laundry but I'm going to give it a try. I already use it in the dishwasher in place of the jetdry and that works great.

I also use it in my sinks. I have hard water and I freely admit that housework is not my thing. I get a mineral buildup in my sinks around the drain. I just put in the stopper and pour in some vinegar and run some water and let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so. Then I clean as normal and the buildup is gone! It is wonderful!!!!

I also use it on the outside water bowl for my dogs. There gets to be a mineral buildup and sometimes something green. I just add some vinegar and water and let it sit overnight and then wipe it out with a papertowel in the morning and it's clean!

quirkymom
05-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow! I've heard vinegar is great for a lot of things, but I will try this for sure!

NancyIL
05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
After drying two loads of laundry that were washed with white vinegar added to the fabric softener dispenser - I really can't tell a difference. My towels were fluffy before, and they felt the same after. Maybe the whites smell a bit better! :teeth:

JoShan1719
05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
After drying two loads of laundry that were washed with white vinegar added to the fabric softener dispenser - I really can't tell a difference. My towels were fluffy before, and they felt the same after. Maybe the whites smell a bit better! :teeth:

Gotta agree with you... I did two loads of laundry with vinegar and they felt the same. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

jenseib
05-23-2010, 06:36 AM

I agree so far. I never used fabric softener, so I was thinking I would see some huge difference, but nothing so far.

DISdreamin'
05-23-2010, 07:56 AM
For those of you reporting great results with vinegar (and, I suppose, for those who aren't too!) are you in an area with really hard water? I'm thinking that the better results are for areas with hard water, as perhaps some of the scratchiness of dried clothing results from hard water deposts. :confused3 I'd be really interested in feedback.

Personally, I run a cup of vinegar through our dishwasher occasionally for this very reason. It seems to help remove the hard water buildup. :thumbsup2

NancyIL
05-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree so far. I never used fabric softener, so I was thinking I would see some huge difference, but nothing so far.

I normally don't use fabric softener in the washer for towels. Maybe I need to use more than 1/4 cup of vinegar.

jenseib
05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
For those of you reporting great results with vinegar (and, I suppose, for those who aren't too!) are you in an area with really hard water? I'm thinking that the better results are for areas with hard water, as perhaps some of the scratchiness of dried clothing results from hard water deposts. :confused3 I'd be really interested in feedback.

Personally, I run a cup of vinegar through our dishwasher occasionally for this very reason. It seems to help remove the hard water buildup. :thumbsup2

Yes, 100 % well water. In fact without our water softener we have yellow water. I don't drink it even. It's safe, but I think it tastes nasty. DH grew up on it as we are on the same well as his mom, so he's used to it, but he really deosn't like it so well either. I grew up with well water as well, but we had wonderful well water. It tasted just like bottled water. I was very clear as well.

ceecee
05-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I normally don't use fabric softener in the washer for towels. Maybe I need to use more than 1/4 cup of vinegar.

I didn't notice a difference either. We have hard water (w/softener) and well water. So I added about 1/2 c to a load of towels this am. I plan on putting some in the dishwasher too...I don't have an extra place for Jet Dry so I guess I'll put it in at the bottom.

rmom50
05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
We live in an area of VERY hard water - rusty water. Awful water. ..so I have been using vinegar in every cycle of my dishwasher for a couple of years and it is AMAZING. Also..........the repair person (who used to have to come way too often because of the hard water clogging the dishwasher), told me to use the cheapest possible POWDERED dishwashing detergent. It is just as good as more expensive powder and better than using a liquid. Be careful with vinegar if you have natural counters/floor, etc. - it will eat it (we have marble and it will ruin marble). Sorry if this was posted earlier. :)

hipchickie
05-23-2010, 11:43 AM

yes, we have very hard well water.
I wonder if people who don't notice a difference are machine drying as well - I can now hang dry my towels and they are as soft as if they were machine dried, but if I machine dry a load, they are always soft - vinegar or not

billwendy
05-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi - so if I use a dryer, should I use vinegar or no???? I did finally find borax, but am still looking for the washing soda!

Gigi22
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I am washing both my sheets and towels using vinegar as a rinse agent. I find the sheets have a nice soft feeling to them, haven't started the towels yet. I never use fabric softener on either sheets or towels, as I was told a number of years ago that fabric softener weakens the fibers in them--and you can't dry glassware/crystal properly if you use any fabric softener when you wash tea towels. So the vinegar will be an interesting experiment for me!

phred52
05-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Last night I tried vinegar in the dishwasher for the first time. I threw a cup in the bottom, as the jet dry dispenser is full of jet dry. Wow, there was a noticable difference when I unloaded it this morning! I'll be using vinegar in there from now on, too.:thumbsup2

Mermaid02
05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Last night I tried vinegar in the dishwasher for the first time. I threw a cup in the bottom, as the jet dry dispenser is full of jet dry. Wow, there was a noticable difference when I unloaded it this morning! I'll be using vinegar in there from now on, too.:thumbsup2

I did this last night too- My dishes look and feel MUCH nicer! I've been using vinegar in my laundry for months- loving those results!

I just ordered a book off Amazon: 400 uses for vinegar!

jenseib
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
yes, we have very hard well water.
I wonder if people who don't notice a difference are machine drying as well - I can now hang dry my towels and they are as soft as if they were machine dried, but if I machine dry a load, they are always soft - vinegar or not

no, I dryer dry too, still not seeing a difference. Alos put some in the dishwasher, but nto seeing much difference there, but hopefully will get rid of some of the yellpow on the bottom soon.

billwendy
05-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Sooooo, here is my report...

Finally found everything I needed and made the detergent! I washed with that and put the vinegar in my downy ball....I LOVE how everything came out!!! I love to sew and wash my fabrics before sewing and they came out softer than I have ever felt before!! I love it!!

It was so hard to figure out which recipe to use so I did
1 bar of Ivory
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1/2 cup baking soda

Next up - a cup of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher!! We already use it in the rinse dispencer!!

Loving this@@

Berrie
05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Sooooo, here is my report...

Finally found everything I needed and made the detergent! I washed with that and put the vinegar in my downy ball....I LOVE how everything came out!!! I love to sew and wash my fabrics before sewing and they came out softer than I have ever felt before!! I love it!!

It was so hard to figure out which recipe to use so I did
1 bar of Ivory
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1/2 cup baking soda

Next up - a cup of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher!! We already use it in the rinse dispencer!!
Loving this@@

Glad to see it worked so well for you!! :thumbsup2

SnowWtch
05-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I noticed that my washer doesn't have a place for fabric softener but does for bleach. Can I use that for vinegar?

Also, my white vinegar's best buy date was in 2008. Think it's ok to use in the wash?

rmom50
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I noticed that my washer doesn't have a place for fabric softener but does for bleach. Can I use that for vinegar?

Also, my white vinegar's best buy date was in 2008. Think it's ok to use in the wash?

yes and yes. :)

Gigi22
05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I posted earlier that I was using vinegar on my sheets and towels. This is the first time I have used vinegar on either. I wasn't very happy with the results of using vinegar on my sheets. I have 100% cotton sheets with a high thread count, and I am fond of the "crisp" feel that they have after being freshly washed and dried. The vinegar made the sheets feel soft, so I won't try that again. But, on the towels and other laundry, success!

4forWDW
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks OP for this post:)
We are spending so much for detergent and softener this will be a big savings for us:thumbsup2
Can't wait to try it.

MaryAnnDVC
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm doing my first load of laundry with homemade detergent :) with vinegar as a fabric softener. My daughter and her boyfriend got a big kick out the whole concept and suggested I name it, make a label for it, and write a slogan and jingle. Kids...so funny. :rolleyes: :laughing:

I googled the combination of the laundry ingredients mixed with vinegar, since I know you can make "volcanoes" :) with baking soda and vinegar, and the results are "safe". However, I googled "mixing bleach and vinegar" and it is NOT safe. My dishwasher detergent contains bleach, so I'm hesitant to use vinegar as a rinse. Does everyone who uses a vinegar rinse, or puts vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher, use a non-bleach dishwasher detergent?

rmom50
05-27-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm doing my first load of laundry with homemade detergent :) with vinegar as a fabric softener. My daughter and her boyfriend got a big kick out the whole concept and suggested I name it, make a label for it, and write a slogan and jingle. Kids...so funny. :rolleyes: :laughing:

I googled the combination of the laundry ingredients mixed with vinegar, since I know you can make "volcanoes" :) with baking soda and vinegar, and the results are "safe". However, I googled "mixing bleach and vinegar" and it is NOT safe. My dishwasher detergent contains bleach, so I'm hesitant to use vinegar as a rinse. Does everyone who uses a vinegar rinse, or puts vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher, use a non-bleach dishwasher detergent?

you can use vinegar with bleach. you should never use ammonia with bleach. ;)

ceecee
05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I posted earlier that I was using vinegar on my sheets and towels. This is the first time I have used vinegar on either. I wasn't very happy with the results of using vinegar on my sheets. I have 100% cotton sheets with a high thread count, and I am fond of the "crisp" feel that they have after being freshly washed and dried. The vinegar made the sheets feel soft, so I won't try that again. But, on the towels and other laundry, success!

I used vinegar on my 1000 ct sheets and I love the soft feel! It took several times before I noticed a difference.

MaryAnnDVC
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
you can use vinegar with bleach. you should never use ammonia with bleach. ;)Mixing vinegar with bleach is not safe. To what extent is probably determined by quantity, but as one site said "Mixing these chemicals just seems like an unreasonable risk to take." (Google "vinegar and bleach".)

Kristi1357
05-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Can't wait to try out the homemade laundry soap and vinegar.
Thanks for all the great tips, everyone! :goodvibes

micheleq
05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I've been using white vinegar to clean for a while now, but just started to use it in the laundry in lieu of liquid fabric softener! Thanks everyone!

danabalana
05-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I made my laundry soap today and have been using the vinegar in the laundry and dishwasher for a few days now. I'm impressed :thumbsup2
I love to find something that saves me money and works well. Thanks everyone :cool1:

rmom50
05-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Mixing vinegar with bleach is not safe. To what extent is probably determined by quantity, but as one site said "Mixing these chemicals just seems like an unreasonable risk to take." (Google "vinegar and bleach".)

Thanks for letting us know! :) Sounds dangerous. :guilty:

thewesterberg
05-28-2010, 08:29 PM
The wonders of vinegar! The stuff is amazing - learned another use today. I'm in charge of popping pop corn for DS school once a month as a PTA fundraiser. The commercial popper is quite old and is covered in layers of oil from all the use thru the years. At the end of each popcorn day I try to get some of the stuff off, but have not been successful. Well, today I found a spray bottle with vinegar and water in it... it took it off the layers of oil with little effort! You could actually see through the glass instead of being all cloudy.

SandrA9810
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
got my first load of laundry in with vinegar. I finally have a bed to sleep on at my aunt's new house. So that means new sheet sets. I picked out a blue/green organic cotton set.

I'm so happy... I got to pick out my own bed. Which matress firm priced matched from another store, but theirs was hundred times better. So yay, nice and squishy bed. And hopefully nice and fluffy new sheets to go with it.

I hope this works well with underwear, mine always seem dirty and scroungy, and never come clean. I finally threw out all my old ones and bought new, so i'm starting from scratch and clean.

Maybe tonight i can go buy the stuff to make detergent. Sounds like fun. How much should i make for a years worth?? And would a 5 gal jug be enough to hold it all?? For the powder version with only using 2tblsp each load, 5gal seems like it would be plenty. Maybe 3-4 loads a week.

FoundMyPrince
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
got my first load of laundry in with vinegar. I finally have a bed to sleep on at my aunt's new house. So that means new sheet sets. I picked out a blue/green organic cotton set.

I'm so happy... I got to pick out my own bed. Which matress firm priced matched from another store, but theirs was hundred times better. So yay, nice and squishy bed. And hopefully nice and fluffy new sheets to go with it.

I hope this works well with underwear, mine always seem dirty and scroungy, and never come clean. I finally threw out all my old ones and bought new, so i'm starting from scratch and clean.

Maybe tonight i can go buy the stuff to make detergent. Sounds like fun. How much should i make for a years worth?? And would a 5 gal jug be enough to hold it all?? For the powder version with only using 2tblsp each load, 5gal seems like it would be plenty. Maybe 3-4 loads a week.

:scared: hope it works for you

SandrA9810
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
The wonders of vinegar! The stuff is amazing - learned another use today. I'm in charge of popping pop corn for DS school once a month as a PTA fundraiser. The commercial popper is quite old and is covered in layers of oil from all the use thru the years. At the end of each popcorn day I try to get some of the stuff off, but have not been successful. Well, today I found a spray bottle with vinegar and water in it... it took it off the layers of oil with little effort! You could actually see through the glass instead of being all cloudy.

disney does this nightly at each of it's popcorn stands. Not much fun to walk past it while they're cleaning.

SunnieRN
05-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Can someone please list the washing soda ingredient?? I can not find it in my local stores and I remember that a pool chemical is the same ingredient. I know I found it once, but was going to wait to buy it until I used up the HUGE liquid laundry detergent I had just bought. Now I can't remember the ingredient. Doh.

Also, my plan, for storage reasons is to make the dry soap. I wash everything in cold. If I "melt" the soap in a mug with HOT water first, could I then add that to my cold water, so it will be completely dissolved?

Thanks!!

Nicolepa
05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Also, my plan, for storage reasons is to make the dry soap. I wash everything in cold. If I "melt" the soap in a mug with HOT water first, could I then add that to my cold water, so it will be completely dissolved?

Thanks!!

You won't need to do that. I wash everything in cold and I would just throw it in. Never really had a problem as long as I started running the water and put the soap in before I put the clothes in. I didn't wait for the water to finish running I just started it, put the soap and the vinegar in the spout and started loading the clothes.

SunnieRN
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Found the answer, sodium carbonate. I could NOT find washing powder, but found this EASILY!!

Chris
05-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh I never knew this! Going to buy some White Vinegar too!!

novdisneydreams
05-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I've been reading this thread with fascination and went to the site 1001 Uses for Vinegar. I don't think I need it in my laundry, but I did do some bathroom cleaning/shining with it today - looks great, but I still smell it!!! Am I doing something wrong? I saw a method for cleaning /deodorizing upholstery - 1 quart of water and 1 cup of vinegar - I'd love to try it, but I am afraid that my couch will smell like vinegar ( instead of dog!) forever. I wonder if I need to dilute more in the bathroom or rinse better? Any thoughts???

disneydreamersx4
05-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Dollar Stretcher.com says do NOT use vinegar to clean upholstery, something about the acidity not good. But they recommend baby wipes to clean upholstery! I'm going to try it.

Baby Wipes Clean Upholstery?
You would be amazed with what baby wipes do. My sister-in-law has a cleaning business and doesn't use anything abrasive. She told me that she uses baby wipes to clean furniture. When I had my own child, and a whole new category of spills, I tried her suggestion out. I was amazed with how well it worked. There isn't too much water and soap, but enough to get stains and dirt out.

SandrA9810
05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
:scared: hope it works for you

well they smell clean and feel clean, they just don't look it. Of course i've had most since high school days... 8-9yrs ago. I guess that's long enough to be replaced.

almburr
05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I just started using it in the laundry. I can tell the differance. Works well on peed on bedding.

PlutoLuvr
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
well they smell clean and feel clean, they just don't look it. Of course i've had most since high school days... 8-9yrs ago. I guess that's long enough to be replaced.

You've been wearing the same underwear for eight, nine years?

charming23
05-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I have been using the vinegar on towels and bedding but yesterday I decided to use it on the regular laundry and it made such a difference. Everything came out softer and even a bit cleaner. My socks have never been so white.

I think I might try making my own laundy soap next. I have to be careful what kind of detergent and softener I use due to allergies and the free and clear is expensive sometimes.

SandrA9810
05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
is that a bad thing?? I don't keep them if they've got holes or the elastic starts to come off.
Half my clothes are that old too. I guess i'm just not that hard on my clothes to need to replace them every season.
Here and there i'll buy something new. But i generally don't get rid of the old. I'm strange i know, i don't like clothes shopping.

dd50
05-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I have been using vinegar in the laundry for years. It rinses the soap out and you don't have to use fabric softener. Love it!

rmom50
05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
is that a bad thing?? I don't keep them if they've got holes or the elastic starts to come off.
Half my clothes are that old too. I guess i'm just not that hard on my clothes to need to replace them every season.
Here and there i'll buy something new. But i generally don't get rid of the old. I'm strange i know, i don't like clothes shopping.

no, it is an admirable thing. :thumbsup2

yourMaire83
06-01-2010, 10:14 PM
So glad I saw this! I have lots of skin allergies and have to use the free and clear laundry detergent and no fabric softener. Can't wait to try a little vinegar in the wash!

Grace&Carolinesmom
06-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say I made the powder homemade laundry dertergent this weekend. Found everything I needed at my local grocery store. Made a double batch since I decided to grate the full bar of soap instead of half. We have a front loader w/d. My husband thought it was a total waste of time and worried about the vinegar making his clothes stink or too many suds in the washer.

WOW! It worked fantastic:thumbsup2 Clothes are clean, smell great, and soft too. Not only am I impressed but hubby is now a believer. He is going to tell everyone he works with too:) Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread:wizard:

Tweevil
06-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I am going to have to give vinegar in the laundry a try...
I have hard water and it seems to hold onto the soap - :confused3

Thanks!

TexasTom
06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
This weekend I cleaned the shower glass door with vinegar. I thought the scum (white cloud) was baked in because nothing could remove it. Well, vinegar did it. Next I will try it to kill the weeds in the flower beds.

I added it to the laundry. The cotton t-shirts seem to be soft and fluffy. But I don't notice it on bed sheets nor towels.

mad hatter fan
06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
This weekend I cleaned the shower glass door with vinegar. I thought the scum (white cloud) was baked in because nothing could remove it. Well, vinegar did it. Next I will try it to kill the weeds in the flower beds.

I added it to the laundry. The cotton t-shirts seem to be soft and fluffy. But I don't notice it on bed sheets nor towels.

Be careful with the vinegar on the weeds. I found it kills the weeds nicely but also the grass, LOL! It might kill your flowers too.:confused3

lisaross
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Did u use 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar for the shower doors? i need to clean mine as well. have been walking around the the 1/2 mix in my spray bottle cleaning windows, countetops etc..

TexasTom
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Did u use 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar for the shower doors? i need to clean mine as well. have been walking around the the 1/2 mix in my spray bottle cleaning windows, countetops etc..

No mixing with water.

I've just read in the July 2010 issue of the Consumer Reports, page 15, that water-diluted vinegar foot soak is a home remedy for toenail fungus.

jensen
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Do those of you who've had success with vinegar have water softeners?

Luv2Scrap
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I just finished all 13 pages of this thread and I can't wait to get home and try some of these tips!

OMG, did I really just say that? I'm excited to clean? :confused: :scared1:

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. I've also shared several of them with a couple co-workers today. :thumbsup2

jessica52877
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM

I am right there with you only high school was 15 years ago! I did just buy some new underwear at Christmas, but the old are still good so still have them too!

2bearsmom
06-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I made the homemade liquid detergent last year buy my 4yr old ds broke out in a rash from it, he has eczema but this was a different rash all over his legs. I quit using the detergent and he was fine.

I do love Bragg's apple cider vinegar, I use 1 Tb and 1 Tb honey mixed with a mug of hot water and drink it as a tea to help alleviate my allergies. Helps with bloating too and makes your nails grow.

dgthree
06-02-2010, 02:17 PM

I have a water softener, but it only feeds the hot water heater. Most of the cold water is untreated, except for the line that feeds the fridge & ice maker, which runs through a filter.

jenseib
06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I am right there with you only high school was 15 years ago! I did just buy some new underwear at Christmas, but the old are still good so still have them too!

I still have some nightgowns that I have had since I was in 8th grade... I am 41 now! LOL!

I have not noticed anything different yet. But will keep trying.

mhsjax
06-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I must be doing something wrong. tried the vinegar as a fabric softener. My towels aren't any different than when I don't use a regular fabric softener.

I did try baking soda on my counter tops and stove. It was wonderful. My counter tops are dark and it is hard to see any sticky stuff, so I just put baking soda all over. Wow, no sticky rough spots anywhere.

SandrA9810
06-05-2010, 02:01 PM
nothing like making the manager of a grocery store feel a bit stupid. I asked him if they carried arm and hammer washing soda. He asked if it was for laundry, i replied yes. So he took me down to the laundry isle, where i pointed out that that was laundry soap, not washing soda.

So any helpful hints on finding washing soda in dallas?? I went to tom thumb and walmart with no luck. Couldn't find the fels soap, and ivory was on sale. And that's supposed to be a simple bar of body soap, right??

And any hints on finding a 2tbs scoop?? I can find 1/4tbs - 1tbs and then a 1/4cup-1 cup.

MichelleB
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
We are runners and tech clothes say not to use softener. Can the vinegar be used?

dgthree
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
And any hints on finding a 2tbs scoop?? I can find 1/4tbs - 1tbs and then a 1/4cup-1 cup.

I bought a measuring cup set at WalMart that has a 1/8 cup in the mix. Can't help you with the other questions, though.

Octoberbride03
06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
We are runners and tech clothes say not to use softener. Can the vinegar be used?

Since its a naturally occurring product I don't see why not. I have microfiber cleaning cloths that also can't have any fabric softener or dryer sheet and I wash them with my regular towels using the vinegar. Doesn't seemed to have damaged them at all. I think the key is that vinegar wasn't designed to soften clothes from a formula it just happens to be good for that use among several hundred.

santadog
06-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I used vinegar to clear up a case of Swimmers Ear I picked up in the pool at Pop Century!

SandrA9810
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
i actually found a mini measuring cup at bed bath and beyong... 4$ for the little darn thing, but exactly what i wanted. It's 1-4tbsp. So a full scoop of vinegar and a half scoop for the home made laundry soap.
I wanted something to make it easy on my g'mother.

And according to google shopping, i can find washing soda at ace hardware... So i'll head over there tomorrow to see.

And i also found a mini grater at BB&B perfect for soap bar size. I don't think my aunt would appreciate me grating soap on a food utensil. She's a little weird like that.

I should have plenty to make a big supply for her. I'll check at micheals for a glass jar to put it in. Make it a little pretty for her.

GrumpyFamilyof5
06-06-2010, 09:13 AM
wow you learn something new everyday,thanks!;)

Nicolepa
06-06-2010, 11:26 AM

A coffee scoop is 2 TBLs.

SandrA9810
06-06-2010, 02:51 PM
LOL.... So i found the Ace hardware fairly easily. I walked in and asked for it, and the guy took me right over to it. He said "every one's been coming in here and asking for it, it's been a big seller for the past 6 months." I told him it's a cheap way to make laundry soap, and the internet said you were like the only place that sells it. He said, "like? We are the only place that sells it". So if anything he won't be going out of business because he sells arm and hammer washing soda.

And for any one in Dallas area. It's a really old Ace Hardware on the corner of Oates and Gus Thomasson across from a grocery store. They've got the whole nine yards for making it. Washing soda, baking soda, borax, and ivory soap.

rmom50
06-06-2010, 03:02 PM
LOL.... So i found the Ace hardware fairly easily. I walked in and asked for it, and the guy took me right over to it. He said "every one's been coming in here and asking for it, it's been a big seller for the past 6 months." I told him it's a cheap way to make laundry soap, and the internet said you were like the only place that sells it. He said, "like? We are the only place that sells it". So if anything he won't be going out of business because he sells arm and hammer washing soda.

And for any one in Dallas area. It's a really old Ace Hardware on the corner of Oates and Gus Thomasson across from a grocery store. They've got the whole nine yards for making it. Washing soda, baking soda, borax, and ivory soap.

I LOVE Ace Hardwares! They are the only ones in our area to carry clear plastic trash bags. I use them for clothing donations and/or storing linens and clothing (so you can see what is in there and not have to buy more Rubbermaids!). OT I know - but budget wise ;)

jenseib
06-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I used vinegar to clear up a case of Swimmers Ear I picked up in the pool at Pop Century!

How?

ZuZugal
06-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know if you can use a little vinegar when washing hardwood floors?

Someone may have answered this but I have not read all of the pages...

I LOVE to use a water/vinegar mixture on my hardwood floors. About half and half. I put it in a spray bottle, and use a very soft cloth to rub it in. Works beautifully. And most of my floors are hardwood. I keep the bottle under the kitchen sink for whenever it is needed.

lisaross
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Are ur floors polyurathaned?

Someone may have answered this but I have not read all of the pages...

I LOVE to use a water/vinegar mixture on my hardwood floors. About half and half. I put it in a spray bottle, and use a very soft cloth to rub it in. Works beautifully. And most of my floors are hardwood. I keep the bottle under the kitchen sink for whenever it is needed.

Praise2Him
06-07-2010, 08:26 AM
I also got all my laundry detergent supplies at ACE hardware after not finding them at 3 different grocery stores. They also had them all together, along with the recipe printed out, so I guess it's becoming more popular to make your own :)

A little off topic, but not much...I also found a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent (basically the borax & washing soda with no soap added). Has anyone used it? I think I'll try it when I run out.

sydney dog
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
A little off topic, but not much...I also found a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent (basically the borax & washing soda with no soap added). Has anyone used it? I think I'll try it when I run out.

A friend of mine gave me the same recipe this weekend when she found out I was making my own laundry detergent. It's equal parts borax and Washing soap; use 2 tbs per load. Also going to try vinegar in the Jet Dry compartment.

I did make the laundry detergent this weekend. I didn't see any big difference (other than price) but will be using it from now on. DH thinks I'm nuts. Now I have to use up the rest of the regular laundry detergent, but after that is gone won't be buying anymore. Also tried the vinegar in the softener holder. Won't be needing that any more either.

For anyone in Jersey, found Felps soap and washing powder in ShopRite. Had to go to Foodtown for Borax. All of it in the laundry aisle.

By the way I am storing in it an rubbermaid shoe box size container.

gk90
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
For any of you in NY/NJ, I found Fels-Naphta soap, Arm & Hammer washing soda and Borax all together in the laundry aisle at Pathmark. Our local Walmart didn't have any of them, not even the Borax.

njsweetP
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
For any of you in NY/NJ, I found Fels-Naphta soap, Arm & Hammer washing soda and Borax all together in the laundry aisle at Pathmark. Our local Walmart didn't have any of them, not even the Borax.

Also Wegmans sells all three right next to each other in the laundry aisle.

ForAandA
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow, I haven't used vinegar in years! I am going to start using it again, thanks to all of you :).

I'm also not going to tell DH, lol. He thought I was "weird" when I used it for DD's baby clothes and diapers. We will see how weird I am once the grocery bill goes down some!

I honestly never made homemade laundry soap. I think that I am going to have to give it a try!

disneydreamersx4
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I buy the Costco Kirkland Brand powder and that's $14.69 for 200 washes but you can stretch it to 400 washes if you just use 1/2 the amount per load. So that works out to $0.0367 cents per load and the homemade one I think is $0.05 per load. I don't see much savings and less work to buy the Costco one:confused3

I will start using vinegar for fabric softener though, thanks :thumbsup2

Angel16
06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I have to start back on page 2, put want to learn as much as I can from you all. Wonderful information!

SandrA9810
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
i noticed the major difference in the vinegar as softner when using the homemade soap. I'm not one for flowery scented stuff. So i'll have to look for essence oils. I love mountain rain or nature smells.
Maybe i can use the arm and hammer essentials dryer sheets, but i don't want the two smells to be competing with each other.
I bought a giant cookie jar with a seal tight lid. And it only fills about a 1/4 with a double quantity... So that's like 8 times the amount... That should last a whole year with the way my aunt does laundry. And I only do about 2 loads a week myself. One batch will probably last me a year.... Times 8 and i'm set for life...

hipchickie
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
what is everyone using for a spot treatment? Can I just dissolve some of the soap in water and put it in a spray bottle? Any idea for amount?

disneydreamersx4
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I buy the Costco Kirkland Brand powder and that's $14.69 for 200 washes but you can stretch it to 400 washes if you just use 1/2 the amount per load. So that works out to $0.0367 cents per load and the homemade one I think is $0.05 per load. I don't see much savings and less work to buy the Costco one:confused3

I will start using vinegar for fabric softener though, thanks :thumbsup2

Wondering if anyone knows the price per load for the homemade laundry detergent?

ZuZugal
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Are ur floors polyurathaned?

That is a good question. we build our home 6 yrs ago and had them installed then...so they are not the "old" hardwood. Is the newer stuff polyuranthaned? Guess I need to look through my homeowners stuff to find out - sorry

SamSam
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM

I would love to have the recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent...would you mind posting it?

sydney dog
06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I would love to have the recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent...would you mind posting it?

Mix Equal parts borax and washing soda, 2 tbls. per load

sydney dog
06-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Next to the Fels Naptha in the store Colgate also had a bar soap for Laundry. Has anyone ever used this? It was half the price of the Fels Naptha.

SamSam
06-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks, can't wait to try it.

georgemoe
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Another here on board with the vinegar for softener. Thanks! :thumbsup2

ceecee
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM

I found both borax and soda at our Kroger store but at $4.69 and $4.99 don't think I would save much! The boxes were pretty small.

Carl Fredricksen
06-10-2010, 03:55 AM
I found both borax and soda at our Kroger store but at $4.69 and $4.99 don't think I would save much! The boxes were pretty small.

WOW. The washing soda here is only about $3. You can also find Borax at Walmart, and ours has it at $2.68. Keep in mind even though the boxes look a little small, you only use 2 Tbls per load so that is where the cost savings is at.

kacaju
06-20-2010, 06:32 AM
to those that have made their own laundry detergent. Did you make up the powder or liquid? Is one better then the other for hard water? I have everything I need to make it, just trying to figure out if I should try the powder or liquid.

billwendy
06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
to those that have made their own laundry detergent. Did you make up the powder or liquid? Is one better then the other for hard water? I have everything I need to make it, just trying to figure out if I should try the powder or liquid.

I made a big batch of the powder about 6 weeks ago and am loving it!!!!

Berrie
06-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Another fan of homemade powder here. :thumbsup2