PDA

View Full Version : Dream catcher???

Tink-n-MrIncredible
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Not sure if this is posted on the right board. Does anyone know of a website that shows how to make dream catchers and other items similar? My DD is into this type of stuff and they are not cheap.

ksl5f123
05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
How old is your DD? Is she looking for something authentic or just something that looks like a dreamcatcher? If she is very young, you can just bend a twig into a circle and weave some yarn through the middle. It can be in a pattern, but most dreamcatchers are pretty random. Be sure to add a bead somewhere toward the center.

If you want something authentic, I find it best to buy directly from crafts people at a pow wow or on a reservation. I own several dreamcatchers that were all under $15 when purchased this way.

Karen

funkychunkymonkey
05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Patterns arnt that hard to come by. You could pick a pattern she likes in a small keychain kit and buy it (around $5) then transfer the idea to a bigger catcher or buy a bigger catcher kit. My last kit was $20 at micheals. Now I make my own from rosemary braches. Most reservations sell them for a decent price, I know ours has them for around $30 .

http://www.eaglespiritministry.com/pd/howto/dreamcatcher.htm this is a easier one to make.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2177233_fully-beaded-dream-catcher.html is a more complicated one.
http://www.craftkits.com/c-23-dreamcatchers-mandellas.aspx here is a link to a wonderful site to get kits and other native goodies. Also check out the crafts for young people section they have a easy kit there for $7!! Thats a heck of a deal

If you need help making one send me a pm. Ive made about 30 or so in the past few years.

Mickey527
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree with the last poster.
Get a cheap one at Michaels or Joann's and once you get the idea of how to make it pick up the stuff for your bigger one.
I made these with plastic embroidery hoops. The hoops are sold as two pieces so you can get two dreamcatchers. I like the wooden ones and didn't cover them with leather like most instructions say. I just did the weaving and hung beads and feathers from the hoop. the wood looks nice, but you can paint it if you want a different color.

funkychunkymonkey
05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree with the last poster.
Get a cheap one at Michaels or Joann's and once you get the idea of how to make it pick up the stuff for your bigger one.
I made these with plastic embroidery hoops. The hoops are sold as two pieces so you can get two dreamcatchers. I like the wooden ones and didn't cover them with leather like most instructions say. I just did the weaving and hung beads and feathers from the hoop. the wood looks nice, but you can paint it if you want a different color.

You can also go around the hoop with leather or with plastic embrodery floss depending on it you really are "feeling" the creative urge (looping like this takes a long time). A looping suggestion- Double sided stick tape. If you fold it in half and put some along the loop it helps hold the cording tight.

SA53
05-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I got my dd a kit for one at Hobby Lobby for around $5.00. She had to put it together herself but it was easy. It was not that big, used a metal hoop and leather with a feather.

It came out a really great and keeps her bad dreams away.:lovestruc

K in SA

Samar
05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Our Dollar Store had them :)