PDA

View Full Version : Clean, Not-Too-Expensive Hotel Near Kennedy Space Center, FL?

momof1princess
05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
does anyone know of a clean, not-too-expensive hotel near the kennedy space center in FL? i'm TRYING to convince DH to drive down there to see one of the final shuttle launches and take a tour, but i have no idea where to start. when we go to wdw, we always stay at pop century, so the hotel doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and nearby. TIA! :goodvibes

Octoberbride03
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
There are actually lots of hotels near the Space Center though i think most of them are centered in Coca Beach near the cruise terminal. Talk a walk over to the cruise boards and they will tell you how to get the best deals this late. the hotels often book far in advance due to the cruise schedule.

momof1princess
05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
oh wow, thanks! i hadn't even considered cruises leaving from there and filling up hotels!

momof1princess
05-15-2010, 06:58 PM
ok, so i've found the residence inn cape canaveral on orbitz for $169 per night-can i do better? it's rated 5 out of 5 on orbitz and number 1 of 6 hotels on tripadvisor.

NVM, the space shuttle launch in july has been moved to november, so now it's september and november, and there are no rooms available at any of the hotels i checked for the september date.

Octoberbride03
05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
If you are willing to try Priceline and go a little lower star you might be able to score Country Inn&Suites. There is a thread on the cruise board telling you how to bid to get a family suite there. I have stayed there and it is a very nice hotel. But $169 at this date is not a bad price at all.

momof1princess
05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks :) not sure we can make either launch-the september one is the day after my DD's 13th birthday, and mid-november is full of family stuff. i'm going to search for that thread though, just in case.

Octoberbride03
05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2402968

I had time to go look it up. This is the most recent thread. Good luck. Too bad the Nov. doesn't have an actual date yet then you would know if you could clear the time for it. I saw a shuttle launch in 89 and it is well worth the trip. :thumbsup2

kehouse
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273
this is a great thread from the cruise boards.

JOEYDIS
05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
ok, so i've found the residence inn cape canaveral on orbitz for $169 per night-can i do better? it's rated 5 out of 5 on orbitz and number 1 of 6 hotels on tripadvisor.

NVM, the space shuttle launch in july has been moved to november, so now it's september and november, and there are no rooms available at any of the hotels i checked for the september date.

We did Priceline for out night before the cruise stay. I bid on a 2 star resort which I knew was the Country Inn and Suites and I got it for $50 a night plus tax. Total $60 dollars and they have free breakfast in the morning. Good hotel for the price. I think regular rate is about $149 a night.

Cheshire Figment
05-16-2010, 06:39 AM
The problem is just around a scheduled Shuttle launch all the Space Coast area hotels fill up and their are no discounts. And if the launch is delayed you ahve not saved anything.

Several years ago we were staying at WDW and the day of a 6pm launch we left the hotel abou 3.5 hours before the scheduled launch and were able to find a good viewing area. When we left we found a place to stop for dinner. And, since we already had a rental car all it cost was a few extra gallons of gas.