PDA

View Full Version : Cal Grill, HDD Revue or Luau

lenpat01
05-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I only want to use 2 credits once on our next trip. Which of these three do you suggest? Just wife and I and we are seniors.

atmail35
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I really can only speak for Cali Grill since I haven't experienced the others but I thought the food at CG was excellent. We had great service and wonderful food and the view wasn't bad either. :rotfl:

DH had the Oak-fired Fillet Of Beef - with Tillamook Cheddar Gratin, broccolini, and teriyaki barbecue. I had a salmon dish that isn't the same as the one the allears website. It had a risotto that was so yummy! DD had the mac and cheese and even that was delish.

The dessert (molton chocolate cake) and cheese board were also excellent.

I'd totally eat there again. I guess you don't get much "entertainment" at CG, but you can come back to watch the fireworks from the observation deck if your reservation doesn't coincide with the time.

Have fun!

squirrel
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Not sure when you are going but SoA dinner show does sometimes get cancelled because of the weather. I haven't been to this show.

I have been to HDDR and it was so good I'm going again this year.

I have not been to California Grill.

Luv2Roam
05-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Between the two dinner shows would just be preference which you would enjoy more. We like the luau more. But that doesn't really mean it is better. We even like the layout and food better.

CA Grill I am sure would be nice. But I would probably still lean towards the luau.

Part of your decision should be based on what time of the year you go and the possibility of inclement weather.

For the luau, I would book close to the start or at least in the middle of the trip, just in case it is cancelled due to weather conditions.

We usually go in January, and book the first show due to this. So far we have been lucky and it has not been cancelled.

MommyJack
05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
The hoop de doo is great. I went in 2007 with 2 kids, DH, dm and dmil, we all enjoyed it very much. The food is good if you like barbeque ribs and chicken.

This year we have booked the SOA dinner show. Again we have a mixed crowd: DH, DD, DS & MIL.

I think if you want something sophistocated, go for CG, otherwise I would suggest the HDD.

beroh2253
05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I have been to the HDDR 4 times now the last time being last Oct. and can't wait to go again.
Luau been there once and if they would change the show a little I would go back but in no hurry
Cal Grill- Haven't been there yet

If you are on the dining plan you should book the Luau early in the week incase the bad weather would cancel it you could use the 2TS credits somewhere later in the week, if you would book the Luau late in the week you may not have time to use up your credits

GraceLuvsWDW
05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Cali Grill! Definitely Cali Grill.

Gigi22
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I haven't been to HDD Review yet. California Grill is a very lovely high-end restaurant; a lot of families have dinner there. If you schedule your dinner carefully (refer to the MK fireworks schedule), you should be able to get a good view of the fireworks at dinner. You may have to get up from your table, and/or go outside on the walkway to do so. As to the Luau, well it is a very nice , but not outstanding, dinner show that takes place in an open-air setting. The dinner tables themselves are under a roof, but the stage isn't. As other posters have mentioned, the Luau can be cancelled due to weather issues. The luau meal consists of run-of-the-mill food, in huge quantities (think about feeding teenaged boys and you have an idea of the amount of food you will be served), beer and wine are included in the meal price, so it can be a cheaper meal than the Cali. Grill.

PrincessBelle39
05-17-2010, 04:22 AM
I think it must be a personal thing. I've only done CG and wouldn't consider HDDR. I can certainly vouch for CG. It was awesome. Might consider the Luau.

lenpat01
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the input/feedback.

Can someone explain or describe the fireworks viewing setup at the California Grill??

GraceLuvsWDW
05-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Most of the tables in Cali Grill have excellent view of not only the fireworks but a great view of the Disney area. During Wishes they dim the lights. If you'd like, you are welcome to go out on the terrace where they have the music piped in. It is a spectacular view although it can get a bit crowded out there. The waiter we had was so good, he timed the meal so we could be outside during the fireworks and our entrees came out shortly after the end. Our meal was a spectacular event in and of itself. Highly recommended for a special occasion! At 2 credits it is a VERY good deal.

hushupu
05-19-2010, 11:16 PM
I vote for the HDDR

PiperGirlInWondrland
05-20-2010, 08:10 AM
I would definitely vote for California Grill! We didn't care for the HDDR and when we went to the luaua my kids fell asleep (they thought it was boring) and it was also SO cold the night we were there. We were freezing by the end of it! :goodvibes