PDA

View Full Version : Dole Whips/Floats????

taben
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Okay...leaving in a couple days and I have read to get a dole whip or a float. WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET OR IS THIS THE SAME???

Never had one and have heard they only sell them at MK??

And...if you step back from the line, watch the CM's hand them out, if there are two line's going at one time, you can see which CM hands out a bigger serving. LOL :rolleyes1

Your thoughts?

jdisnut
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
They are not the same thing! A Dole Whip refers to the pineapple soft-serve available at Aloha Isle in Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom. A Dole Whip float combines the soft-serve with pineapple juice. Imagine a root beer float, but substitute the vanilla ice cream for pineapple and the root beer for pineapple juice.

Captain Cook's, the counter service location at the Polynesian, also offers self-serve Dole Whips, but not Dole Whip floats.

estherhead
05-13-2010, 12:23 PM
They are not the same. Dole Whip is a soft serve ice cream in either pineapple or orange flavor. A float is the above ice cream floating in pineapple juice. It's sold from Aloha Isle. I've had a root beer float from here too. But my favorite combo is orange ice cream floating in pineapple juice. Especially yummy after it's melted a bit.

Tricia1972
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
As stated they are different. I personally prefer the pineapple/vanilla swirl soft serve in the Pineapple (aka Dole Whip) Float.

rpk1951
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I do not have a favorite, but my wife makes us stop every trip at least twice.

Lynn5700
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
My favorite is a plain pineapple float. All pineapple.

2 Little Mermaids
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM

Ditto, the pineapple soft serve with pineapple juice yummy. DH likes the orange soft serve with pineapple juice. I guess it all depends on how much you like pineapple. I will drink the juice then eat the ice cream. If your on the DP, they are both a snack credit. Enjoy which ever one you decide.

TRBelle84
05-13-2010, 05:57 PM

AGREED! I'm counting down the days until I can have one :love:

daleswife
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM

MINE TOO!!! MMMMMMMM I dont get one for another 18 months!!!

CrabbyPatty
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Okay, I was a "doubting Thomas" before our trip last year. But, the pineapple/pineapple juice float is truly Paradise in a Cup. There's just something about the taste of the pineapple juice combined with the pineapple whip on a hot, hot day. It's light, refreshing, sweet, but not too sweet ....... wonderful stuff.

Lynn5700
05-13-2010, 10:39 PM
MINE TOO!!! MMMMMMMM I dont get one for another 18 months!!!

They are the best!! My local ice cream place has a dole whip machine!! When I spotted the machine, I freaked out, lol!!

PoohsFan1
05-13-2010, 11:19 PM
I too love the Dole Whip Float, the more pineapple flavor the better :love: I even got my two DDs into Dole Whips, they want to try out the floats when we are there in September. My DH, on the other hand, sticks with his root beer floats.

Lynn5700
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Ditto, the pineapple soft serve with pineapple juice yummy. DH likes the orange soft serve with pineapple juice. I guess it all depends on how much you like pineapple. I will drink the juice then eat the ice cream. If your on the DP, they are both a snack credit. Enjoy which ever one you decide.

Ooh, that sounds good, too.

AGREED! I'm counting down the days until I can have one :love:

Me too.

I forgot to say how refreshing the floats are on a hot day. They really are.

myhouseofmouse
05-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Float....one evey year!!!

chartle
05-14-2010, 07:34 AM
They are not the same. Dole Whip is a soft serve ice cream in either pineapple or orange flavor. A float is the above ice cream floating in pineapple juice. It's sold from Aloha Isle. I've had a root beer float from here too. But my favorite combo is orange ice cream floating in pineapple juice. Especially yummy after it's melted a bit.

For people that have issues with lactose, Dole Whip is NOT ice cream.

There is only a small amount sodium caseinate a milk derivative, the same kind of stuff in non dairy creamer.

I didn't have one the first time I knew about them because I thought they were ice cream. After I got back I found the ingredient list and saw no milk products.

Did have one in Feb, it was the first ice cream like product that didn't give me gas. :cool1::thumbsup2:cool1:

summerlady
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Gotta have the Float! Only six months and 1 day until I can have another one. :sad2:

mom2taylorandemily
05-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Mine too!!!

tinkandonaldfans
05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
We ate so much last year with free dining that we found we were too full for snacks!

I want to try one so bad, it sounds as thought the float is a clear winner on here!

Maybe a Dole Whip float will be my wedding present to myself!

arielmomma
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with the all pineapple people! Go for the all pineapple float - So Yummy!

Only 7 more weeks until I get to have one!

goofy4tink
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
2 1/2 months before I can have my Dole Whip float...one of my favorite things to snack on.

WAHMto5
05-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the floats, sooo refreshing!!

atmail35
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM

ITA!

We had our first ones last week and it was our favorite treat. DH got a vanilla Dole Whip the first time and then converted to the pineapple float the second time ;) They are pretty large. My DD5 "had" to share hers with us because she couldn't eat it fast enough (hot = melting like crazy).

I miss the pineapple float already and wish we could get them here!

BTW, if it is hot hot hot when you are there, head for the shade or you will have a dripping mess. Especially with the Dole Whip in a cup (not the float) since the cup itself is small but the amount of DW is huge and it really melts fast. The float seems to contain the DW better ;)

Enjoy!

chartle
05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
I miss the pineapple float already and wish we could get them here!

If you have an ice cream machine you can buy the mix from Hawaii.

http://www.unifiedenterprisescorp.com/products2.html

How to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1fnJHTrI_o

disney 4 5
05-14-2010, 10:45 AM
We have one on every trip too. Last year we almost forgot & we were in Adventureland & my husband said "Dole Whip?" & off we went to get them. So as we are getting close to our parents only trip, my husband keeps saying "Dole Whip?" YUM can't wait.

crazycatlady
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I guess my family is really in the minority...we all prefer the plain Dole whip. Pineapple for me and DD, orange (citrus swirl, not Dole whip?) for DH and DS.
Float was a little too sweet for us.

2Tiggies
05-14-2010, 11:17 AM
As stated they are different. I personally prefer the pineapple/vanilla swirl soft serve in the Pineapple (aka Dole Whip) Float.

Oh this is the one I like too. Darn! Now I am craving one! :laughing:

Princess Kaye
05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
The Dole Float definately. Everytime we pass the Dole place we get one. They are so good on a hot day.:goodvibes

nuttyliser
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I do not have a favorite, but my wife makes us stop every trip at least twice.

I agree with your wife, they are a must have, at least twice!
Can't wait to have one again in just 3 weeks! :love:

kwdancer26
05-15-2010, 12:40 AM
The Whip is the ice cream itself. The float has the ice cream and pineapple juice. A stop for this ice cream is a must. In fact, it's the only reason why I'm going to MK over my next trip.

3smithboys
05-15-2010, 04:33 PM
When we went this past Winter Break, it was so cold that we only had DW one time.... we are taking our first summer break trip this August during free dining. I have a feeling that many snack credits will be spent on delicious dole whips and floats!!!! :cool1: :love: :cheer2:

B-Ride
05-15-2010, 08:05 PM
We prefer the soft serve, the float has just a bit too much pineapple juice. Our family usually shares a snack at most places but Aloha Isle is one place we all insist on our own Dole Whip. No sharing allowed!:rotfl2:

goofy4tink
05-15-2010, 08:10 PM
And to add to my Dole Whip Float excitement, my friend called me from WDW to see if I had ever had one of the pineapple popsicles in WDW. No, I hadn't. Why? Because I never knew they existed. Oh.....why is August so far away???

honeydiane1953
05-15-2010, 09:50 PM
I finally had a Dole Whip a few weeks ago and it was just OK. Everyone is different and it did NOT set my world on fire. To each his own.:love:

Tricia1972
05-15-2010, 09:59 PM
And to add to my Dole Whip Float excitement, my friend called me from WDW to see if I had ever had one of the pineapple popsicles in WDW. No, I hadn't. Why? Because I never knew they existed. Oh.....why is August so far away???

Pineapple Popsicles?!?! That sounds like it could be somewhat healthy and delicious. Are they at Aloha Isle as well?

graceesmom
05-16-2010, 09:28 AM
We were at WDW last week. I ordered the pineapple float at Aloha Isle twice. Each time I received something different.

The first time, I received something that resembled ice cream but had pineapple flavor and pineapple juice.

The 2nd time I received something that resembled soft pineapple sorbet covered with pineapple juice.

They were both delicious, but I have no idea why I received something different even though I ordered the same thing.

There was a lady next to me when I had the sorbet looking one and she had the ice cream looking one. I asked her what she ordered and she said A pineapple float. She asked what I ordered and I told her the same. She said that was funny b/c earlier in the week she received what I had when she ordered the pineapple float and was expecting the same thing again, but received the more ice cream looking one.

Can anyone help me figure out what I got? I like them both, but for the futrue if they're is really a difference, I'd like to know how to order correctly.

Thanks.

The Princess
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Dole whip float.....yum...wish I had one now

chartle
05-16-2010, 09:40 AM
We were at WDW last week. I ordered the pineapple float at Aloha Isle twice. Each time I received something different.

The first time, I received something that resembled ice cream but had pineapple flavor and pineapple juice.

The 2nd time I received something that resembled soft pineapple sorbet covered with pineapple juice.

They were both delicious, but I have no idea why I received something different even though I ordered the same thing.

There was a lady next to me when I had the sorbet looking one and she had the ice cream looking one. I asked her what she ordered and she said A pineapple float. She asked what I ordered and I told her the same. She said that was funny b/c earlier in the week she received what I had when she ordered the pineapple float and was expecting the same thing again, but received the more ice cream looking one.

Can anyone help me figure out what I got? I like them both, but for the futrue if they're is really a difference, I'd like to know how to order correctly.

Thanks.

As far as I know they only serve one kind of pineapple flavored soft serve from that location.

The two different items most likely came from two different machines. All Dole Whips come from the same mix.

Soft serve machines can be finicky. They are all continuous feed machines and if you pull too much product too quickly it can effect the texture.

Pink Mouse Ears
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
I got a float (pineapple/pineapple) last time- feeling like this was the "true" Dole Whip, haha. Next time I think I'll get the orange with pineapple juice just for a little variety. I can't see a point in getting just the ice cream- I dunno, just doesn't seem that special to have pineapple soft serve. :confused3

Cat0727
05-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I got the soft serve. I have to plan out the next time I get one, though, because it is sooo filling!

PinkRhombus
05-16-2010, 04:13 PM
If you have the "Lines" app (free with touringplans membership), they have a little chat type thing.

Someone posted last night that the line for the Dole Whips was about 30 people deep (or somewhere close to that).

Popular stuff!

branv
05-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I mentioned this on another thread, but definitely be sure you specify pineapple if that's what you want. If you notice on the menu, "Dole Whip" means pretty much any of their soft serve flavors. Sometimes you can just ask for a Dole Whip or Dole Float and you'll get all pineapple. Sometimes you say the same thing and they ask, "What flavor?" If you don't specify, and the CM doesn't ask, is new or assumes something, you might end up with something you didn't intend.

I used to only order pineapple whips, but our last trip I finally went for a float and OMG! I had..well, let's just say more than a few that trip. Though one pet peeve is that about half of those ended up with warm pineapple juice. I know if they run out and fetch a new batch it might not be cooled yet in time for new orders, but it can be kind of...acky.

tatafornow
05-16-2010, 09:46 PM
This makes me want to break ALL pregnancy rules and eat soft serve!!

:scared:

MouseEarsJenny
05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Um. Just so you won't be disappointed.

Dole Whip and Dole Whip Floats are revolting. :sick: I advise you have neither.

Personally, I think the whole hype around them is a devious attempt to get newbies to suffer (kind of like Beverly at EPCOT).

DH had one last year. I tried some. We both agreed. NASTY.

chartle
05-16-2010, 10:01 PM
This makes me want to break ALL pregnancy rules and eat soft serve!!

:scared:

What rules would you be breaking?

Dole Whip is not like any soft serve that you have ever had. There is no dairy at all and I don't think there is much fat.

tatafornow
05-16-2010, 10:04 PM
What rules would you be breaking?

Dole Whip is not like any soft serve that you have ever had. There is no dairy at all and I don't think there is much fat.

I think they say no soft serve because of possible bacteria in the soft serve machine.

chartle
05-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I think they say no soft serve because of possible bacteria in the soft serve machine.

Never heard of that one.

We had to break down the machine at McD's every night and they ran tests all the time.

ETA found a lot of info though

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=soft+serve+pre&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=soft+serve+pregnancy

2luvmickey
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I guess my family is really in the minority...we all prefer the plain Dole whip. Pineapple for me and DD, orange (citrus swirl, not Dole whip?) for DH and DS.
Float was a little too sweet for us.

We had our first Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation in Oahu. Since then, a stop at MK Aloha Isle is a "must" for our family.

We even introduced the cousins to Dole Whips on our recent trip to DLR. Love 'em!!! One DS tried the float, but prefers the whip. :love: