PDA

View Full Version : sharing meals on dining plan

dgagnon519
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Someone might have already answered this. There will be four of staying at a disney resort 2 adults and 2 kids. We are celebrating my childrens bdays. Some of our family and friends are coming down to florida but are staying elsewhere. We will be taking some of their children to disney with us almost everyday. They couldnt all afford to do Disney but bought the tickets for the kids. My question is if we are on the deluxe meal can we share and let the kids have the apps and desserts so we are not purchasing out of pocket for them and can put their dinign money towards the plan. They are considered adults and will never eat an adult meal each themselves. We realize for buffets and stuff they will need to pay out of pocket.

rlovew
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Meal plans can only be used by those that are in the room. If you are paying - you are not allowed to pay for more meals than are on the tactula plan- 2 adult and 2 kids meals.

Tricia1972
05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Meal plans can only be used by those that are in the room. If you are paying - you are not allowed to pay for more meals than are on the tactula plan- 2 adult and 2 kids meals.

This is exactly right. It's Disney's written policy that sharing with those not on a dining plan isn't permitted.

Directly from Disney's Brochure:

Disney's Website (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2010DeluxeDining_updated2.pdf)
Q. Can I use my Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family
members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney
dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for
friends or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not
purchased a Disney dining plan.

pooch
05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
the correct # of meals, ie 2 adult and 2 kids meals, could the extra kids just "pick" off of these? I think that's what the OP is asking and, sorry, I don't have the answer.

TDC Nala
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
That's a really gray area. I am sure there would be no objections to letting the kids have some bites - what I think the objection would be is if the bites are expected to be the full meals for the kids who are not on the dining plan and nothing will be ordered for them specifically. Based on Disney's rule that you shouldn't use the dining plan to buy meals for persons not on the plan, this sounds as though it would fit that rule.

webbmom
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I get the not sharing with those not in your room. But this is what we did during our visit in March we were actually there for the full first day arrival at 9 am and did not depart till 4pm on the last day. (plus we had some 2 TS ADRs) in order to make our meal plan streach and that we needed something to eat but were not all that hungry, we ordered one CS meal and split it. We used the other credit at another day we ordered one whole meal and paid for an additional hamburger. We told the CM what we were doing and he was fine with it.

Tricia1972
05-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I disagree that this is a gray area at all. It sounds to me like the OP is planning on using their dining credits to pay for the kids meals for their extended family. Feeding them the appetizers and desserts from their (The OP's) dining plan. The extended family (who is not staying on site) will then put their dining money towards the OP's dining plan. That's flagrantly against Disney's rules.

Some of our family and friends are coming down to florida but are staying elsewhere.

We will be taking some of their children to disney with us almost everyday.

My question is if we are on the deluxe meal can we share and let the kids have the apps and desserts so we are not purchasing out of pocket for them and can put their dinign money towards the plan.

TDC Nala
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
agreed, Tricia, sharing is a gray area, but what's established is it is usually okay to share meals among your party if you are all on the dining plan.

It's probably okay to allow someone else to have a few bites of your appetizer if that is not intended to be their meal.

It's not okay to use your dining plan to provide all meals for your visiting relatives' children so they don't have to buy a meal - that's not how Disney intends the dining plan to be used, and they do have a rule against it.

dancin Disney style
05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
OP....it says right on your KTTW card how many people are on the plan ie: 2adults and 2 kids. So you are never able to order more than those number of meals.

If the extra kids in your party are not big eaters there are few things you can do. Since you must pay OOP you can order meals to split between them. You can order them each just an appetizer. You can also ask if they can order from the kids menu. Be aware that even when paying OOP sharing is sometimes not allowed. It may be up to the server.

simplymama
05-14-2010, 10:56 AM
OP....it says right on your KTTW card how many people are on the plan ie: 2adults and 2 kids. So you are never able to order more than those number of meals.

If the extra kids in your party are not big eaters there are few things you can do. Since you must pay OOP you can order meals to split between them. You can order them each just an appetizer. You can also ask if they can order from the kids menu. Be aware that even when paying OOP sharing is sometimes not allowed. It may be up to the server.

Really, they can legallly tell you, who you can give your food to, when you pay out of pocket? I don't think so. If I want to order a piece of cake OOP and give half to my child and they tell me I can't, there would be some serious upset on my part, that I would be taking up with management. I don't think pollicies like that are up to the discretion of the server. They better be set in stone.

TDC Nala
05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Some restaurants have a plate-sharing fee (at Disney I know only about Shula's and Rainforest Cafe doing this) which is done to counter the loss of revenue they realize from meal-sharers. If the restaurant has such a policy then they can indeed tell you who can eat your meal. It's usually for sharing entrees though, not for having someone else finish your dessert or anything like that.

This is a totally separate issue from the dining plan.

Miriade
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Hello, long story short I went through bariatric surgery 3 years ago, and 110 lb lighter I still cannot and I don't want to be ever able to glob food down like before :headache:
So I was looking at the food pics in some threads and OMG, the servings are HUGE :scared1: even the QS portions are easily bigger than my stomach!
My fiancee and I are going to stay in Septenber in POR and both of us are on the Dining Plan...
I want to know is WDW frowns down on TS and QS sharing meals...:confused3
Otherwise I am going to be asking for not so fancy and tasty kid's meals all over our 14 days of DP!:eek: (and even in kid's meal pics I've find they seems large servings).
thanks!

Cafeen
06-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Hello, long story short I went through bariatric surgery 3 years ago, and 110 lb lighter I still cannot and I don't want to be ever able to glob food down like before :headache:
So I was looking at the food pics in some threads and OMG, the servings are HUGE :scared1: even the QS portions are easily bigger than my stomach!
My fiancee and I are going to stay in Septenber in POR and both of us are on the Dining Plan...
Otherwise I am going to be asking for not so fancy and tasty kid's meals all over our 14 days of DP!:eek: (and even in kid's meal pics I've find they seems large servings).
thanks!
In this case, sharing is absolutely fine since you are sharing between members of the same package reservation. It's only restricted when you're sharing between those on your package reservation and those not on it. Many (many many many) people around these parts do just this to either save credits or save their stomachs from exploding ;).

And, congratulations :).

Miriade
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
My fiancèe who's pooh sized was complaining about the DP b/c it was just one entrée + 1 desert and 1 beverage or 1 buffet... but this cannot be as the pic I've been seeing where of huge amount os food!
but alas, that was a language mistake! :laughing:
We got Entrée as 'appetizzer' (in good and old Portuguese "entrada") and then Saint Wikipedia.org solved this mystery entrée is the main course.
WDP does not include the side dishes and first courses/appetizzer!:rotfl:

In this case, sharing is absolutely fine since you are sharing between members of the same package reservation. It's only restricted when you're sharing between those on your package reservation and those not on it. Many (many many many) people around these parts do just this to either save credits or save their stomachs from exploding ;).

And, congratulations :).

and Cafeen thanks!
The very first months after the surgery were a hardship to be endured but it was worth the effort.

Connears
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
thanks!

I had gastric bypass surgery jan 09 and have lost 130 lbs. I had no problem last xmas trip 12/09 using the DDP. DH and I often shared a cs meal and maybe a snack if he was extra hungry. I also was able to order appetizer as entree. there are many restaurants that have no sugar added desserts, but often we took home the dessert for DH (if we were not in the park). We also occasionally split a salad and paid OOP for this in addition to entree, dessert.

You definitely do not need to eat from childrens menu!

We are returning this xmas week also.

Connears