PDA

View Full Version : California Grill - is it worth 2 TS credits?

nursetinagb
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I've been slowly planning our Dec trip since our 180 day mark is just over a month and a half away. We've been debating doing CG for a dinner but that leaves us a TS meal short. Or we could eat lunch at the airport on the way out of town to use the extra QS for dinner. Is it worth the 2 credits or should we skip it and do something else? In which case I'll have 2 TS credits that I'm not sure what to do with. Oh, decisions, decisions! Good thing I started planning so far in advance!!!

Below is what we have planned for now
Day 1: T-Rex Cafe - Dinner ($)
Day 2: Crystal Palace - Breakfast
QS - Lunch
CA Grill - Dinner
Day 3: QS - Lunch
Coral Reef - Dinner
Day 4: Chef Mickeys - Late Breakfast
QS - Dinner
Day 5: QS - Lunch
Whispering Canyon Cafe - Dinner
Day 6: Hollywood and Vine - Lunch
QS - Dinner
Day 7: QS - Lunch
____________________ - Dinner
Day 8: QS - Lunch

septbaby
05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Generally speaking the Signature restaurants are worth the extra. We happily spent our 2TS credits at Narcoossee's. TheBrown Derby is the only Signature where people seem to really question the value of using 2TS for their meals.

I hate to say this, but CG is really popular and you may not get that ressie, even at 180. If you decide to go that route, be sure to have a plan B for those two credits.

We were able to snag an early dinner ressie for CG in June, too early for the fireworks viewing though. We won't be on the DP so I won't be able to give you my experience "DP value" judgment.

SheenaXena21
05-11-2010, 06:14 PM
In my honest opinion.... no.

Don't get me wrong the food was good.... not excellent. The service was okay... he was kinda rude. I was telling him what I wanted, he stopped me, and said that he didn't speak southern. I'm from Tennessee, and yes, I do have an accent, but I'm not an idiot, and that's how he made me feel. I just mocked laughed, and ordered.

But the food, even though it was good, I had better at 1 TS restaurants (Kona, Le Cellier).

I'm glad I tried it.... but in the future, I'm not going to waste 2 TS credits on eating there.

stitchlovestink
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
We ate at Cali Grill last Nov.... and loved it.
Now that said, we did have free dining (from a pin code) so really we weren't 'paying' 2 credits.
I thought the food was excellent. and we were lucky enough to snag a window table for fireworks viewing. Our server was wonderful. My ONLY complaint was regarding the rude people at the table next to us who allowed their children (2 kids I would guesstimate to be 4 and 6 or 5 and 7) to 'run' around the restaurant. They kept pushing past my one daughter's chair to stand at the window to watch the fireworks. It wouldn't have been so awful IF they would've stayed put, but they kept running back and forth from the window to their table and they were very loud. :headache:
We will definitely go back to Cali Grill, but I do want to try at least one or two other signature restaurants first, like Yachtsman and Narcossee's. I suggest giving it a try, it is a fun experience. :goodvibes

MissScarlet
05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
We had dinner at the California Grill for the first time last week and used 2 credits. We were on the basic dining plan and ended up ordering multiple appetizers out of pocket. The sushi, flatbread, and dessert were amazing, while the main course was just ok. Dinner ended up taking 2 and a half hours and we had a great experience, but unless I was on deluxe, I would save the 2 credits and go to California Grill for appetizers and dessert instead.

DeeCee735
05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
If we want to go for just appetizers and desserts, do we specify that on the reservation, or can we tell them that's' all we are having when we arrive for our dinner reservations?

Markstudy
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
We loved it. We got in for the fireworks and it was a long 2.5 hour meal. Our service was top notch! :wizard:

Fantastic night and we thought it was the best use of 2 credits :cloud9:

The price is expensive but table turn-over is very slow :flower3:

MrsLS
05-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Its only worth it if you plan to spend more $ at the 2 credit restaurant then you do at two 1 credit restaurants. It is one of the better signature restaurants on property. We like it a lot.