PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian RPC - Horror Story

WeLoveDisney
08-10-2002, 04:02 PM
We are just back from an 8-day stay at the Grand Floridian Royal Palm Concierge. Although before we booked our trip we read many negative posts about it, we decided to give it a try and form our own opinion. We have always had very enjoyable stays in Disney before this trip, and had every reason to be this trip would be just as good, if not better. Boy, were we all wrong. Each day brought more and more problems and our complaints to the concierge and to management were either not responded to, or responded to in a truly offensive manner. We will never again return to the Grand Floridian, and if this trip had been my first to Disney, we would have never gone again.

This review will be very detailed, because I think to make such a statement requires me to tell you what aspects were not acceptable to me.

Background - My husband and I are both in our late 30’s, with 2 teenage children. We are very fortunate to travel frequently on both business and pleasure, and have stayed many times at Disney deluxe resorts, both concierge and non-concierge level. I think my expectations of this trip were appropriate.

This trip was for a very special reason. My entire family (parents, brothers, sisters, spouses, and all the grandkids) were going to celebrate - my father just sold his business and my mother just finished a long course of chemotherapy. It was the first time we have ever all vacationed together since we were kids. Where else would we go? We are all Disney fans and have been since our first trips there as children. We booked 4 rooms at the Grand Floridian Royal Palm Concierge. My parents owned their own business all of their lives, up until a few months ago, and this was their first vacation in a very long time. It had always been my mother’s dream to stay at the Grand Floridian and was so happy that we would all be there together to celebrate her end of chemotherapy and my father’s retirement. We booked 4 rooms on the 4th floor of the main building.

The troubles started before we got there. I heard the word “no” more times than I can count. The reason we chose the Royal Palm Club was to have the extra level of service promised. I don’t think the requests we made were unreasonable. “No service” would have been preferable to the “Obnoxious service” we received. A few weeks before our trip, my husband and I made a one-night stay at the Grand Floridian, thinking they would remember us and help with special requests (not exceptional requests - here’s what we asked for: close to the elevator, suggestions for the 7 grandchildren with us, and a character breakfast). We were told they would make this stay the magical stay of our dreams and not to worry. We were told that someone would contact us and make all of our arrangements. Well, a few days before the trip when no one had still contacted us, I called and was told I’d have to send an email, they were too busy to talk to me and take my requests over the phone. I emailed my priority seating requests, some room requests for extra towels and blankets, and left for the trip.

Throughout the eight days, here’s some examples of what we encountered. While each incident seems small, please remember that there were several every day, and we never did receive satisfaction on any of them.

-The priority seatings I had requested were reserved incorrectly (wrong dates). They told me that my email must have been wrong and truly seemed bothered that I asked them to change them all. (I looked at my email and it was right).
We were also told the character breakfast could not accomodate all of us. There were no suggestions made to separate the party, choose another restaurant, etc. Just a NO.

-The room keys didnt work in the concierge elevator. I asked why I had a blue key instead of a gold one I expected and they told me it didnt matter. 3 trips to the concierge later and it still didnt work.

-Length of stay passes could not be arranged for my children who were leaving earlier than me, even though I was told several times before that this would be no problem. When I went to purchase them I was told it is too complicated to do in the reservation system and my bill would be wrong.

-The extra towels and blankets were not in my room. They were not delivered for the first 2 nights even though I called about 4 times for them.

-We received slippers in the room, my daughter (age 14) asked for an extra pair and was told “no, only 2 per room).

-My mother called for an extra bathrobe that was never received.

-Park tickets were not on the room keys although we paid for them and we had to stand in the rain at guest services in MK for 30 minutes to straighten out.

-Food on the buffet often ran out too early, and there were no replenishments. Our request for a single cookie, when coming back from EPCOT was met with “They’re G-O-N”. I think he meant G-O-N-E.

-The turndown service never turned down all the beds in the room, or made up the daybed in the morning. I asked repeatedly that this be done and it was never done correctly. Concierge told me it was housekeeping's problem, housekeeping told me they were not getting the requests from the concierge. I was in the middle and not getting the service I wanted. I understand sometimes mistakes are made, but in eight nights this was never done right and I called every day.

-Very important and something I had not read here before, is that the A/C in the rooms is motioned sensored. If you are not moving around, it shuts off. We called to complain several times that our room was too warm, and we were told to move around more. Even during the middle of the night when I told them it was too warm to sleep. I am serious. It was impossible to nap or read in the room during the day, which we like to do.

-The buffet attendants were very rude (except for one, Juan). Besides us being told that cookies were “G-O-N”, we were also told that if we wanted the good stuff (ie chocolate covered strawberries), to “get there earlier”. For clarification, they were put out on the 8-10 buffet serving but gone by 8:30 - 9 each night.

-The buffet attendants actually made fun of a guest in her bathing suit after she left the lounge. All the other guests heard this. If that had been my daughter or sister I would have demanded their termination. As it was I felt very uncomfortable.

-There was no help from the concierge staff when we needed them most. The day I left I realized I left my wallet behind. My sister who was still there retrieved it and asked the concierge to overnight deliver it to my home. When I called for a tracking number they told me they had no record of receiving it from my sister. No one was returning my calls, and I finally called the manager who found it (it was not yet in the mail 2 days later). He told me there would be no charge for the mailing (there was).

-My sister lost her eyeglasses in the Magic Kingdom and they offered no help, not even a phone call or extension for her. When she went to the concierge desk they told her to go back to her room and dial zero. I would think at a minimum they would have made a call for her.

-My brother in law collects Disney coins and asked for a list of machines (he was given this at the WL). The concierge didnt know what he was talking about so he went to the front desk who helped him (politely and accurately).

-After the screw ups with the park passes, my parents noticed that their bill was wrong and they were doubled billed for the passes. They pointed this out and was told it was too late, it was in accoutings hands and check back in 14 days to make sure it is credited.

There are many other examples like those, and my sister who was with me in a different room will also be posting about her own experiences. The main point of the story is that there was no special service, too many “no’s”, and too many rude comments.

Now, I will tell you the most offensive part. After spending each day talking to the concierge or the manager about my problems, I finally spoke to one of the managers, Kristen. Kristen apologized and told me that my expectations were certainly in line and that she would personally ensure that things would get better. When I was asking her if she thought my expectations were unrealistic, I also asked her what I was paying extra for the concierge service for. She told me that she would credit my account (no amount was ever discussed and this was her idea, not mine). Upon checkout (and I had to call twice for my bill to be delivered when they are usually put on the door), I noticed there was no credit. I called the concierge to ask about it and was told someone would call me back. In the time that took, I decided to count my losses, not go through the hassle, (I wasnt expecting a large credit, more of a token apology) and go home. When the concierge Chris called back, I told him not to worry about it. He should have left it at that. Instead, Chris told me that he spoke to Kristen who said she never said that. He also said that a review of my problems showed that they were not all that significant, or were resolved. He then insinuated that I exaggerated these issues in order to get a credit. Needless to say, I was furious. Being late for a flight I took his managers name (Kristen) and the GM of the hotel and left. This was all ridiculous. The entire reason I booked at the RPC is that I dont mind paying for service THAT I ACTUALLY GET. I would have gladly spent more money receiving the service that I wanted than spending a week on the phone complaining about the BS for a discount.

Also to note, the GM (Georgine Suzanne) has not returned any of my calls. I am so upset by this entire trip that I will not let this drop until I receive a response. This is the first bad experience I have ever had at Disney, and have been vacationing there since I was a child. I am not looking for any monetary credit, I am looking for a response that restores my faith in Disney.

This trip was so important to my parents, who paid more for this vacation than they did for their first house. I told everyone at the concierge how special this trip was and they received nothing. No warm words, no special acknowledgement, nothing. Well, they did receive rude comments and ignored requests.:mad:

Luv2Roam
08-10-2002, 04:11 PM
:eek: :eek: But after reading what happened at the Poly with the digital camera (Poly woes thread) am I surprised? No.
I hope that you get some sort of resolution. You obviously dropped a bundle expecting good servoce and perks and received what anyone would not have expected or wanted -- anywhere. Sounds like a Holiday Inn would have been an improvement.:(

HookedOnDiz
08-10-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry you had such a frustrating time with the staff... I think everyone expects the staff to make a mistake once in awhile or forget something, but the poor service you received when you brought these matters to their attention was inexcusable. We expect better from Disney...

snowwhitemom
08-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this but I must say I'm not surprised. We stayed there for the first time in Oct.2001 and for reasons just as yours I willchoose other resorts from now on. I was upset with the service level that we received and we did not have Con. Ser. , I can't imagine spending that and that happening, I hope your family had a great time in the parks and made some great memories despite GF. :D

Blondie
08-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Sounds like GF Concierge really dropped the ball with your family.

I'd be upset as well, especially considering the amount of money your family must have spent.

This is not the first time I have read discouraging remarks about GF Concierge though. Hopefully they'll straighten things out and get it back to being what it once was.

KimOhio
08-10-2002, 05:48 PM
dont expect much from the Disney staff we finally got our call back on wed from a trip over July 4th week she said we will try to fix the problems and thanks for informing them that was it guess they figure they got us we are DVC members have been to disney numour times and this was the 1st one that was really bad all around not just a few things

Tinkbell
08-10-2002, 05:49 PM
I read your sister's post too. The service should have been top notch over there. I would have been upset too. I can't believe they didn't do anything special at all for your mom. I've read reports where certain concierges will make a big deal over a birthday or anniversary. Your mom should have had surprises everyday because her reason for this vacaton was much more precious than a birthday. I hope you were still able to enjoy your vacation and I wish the best of health to your mom.:D

WeLoveDisney
08-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your nice words, Tinkerbell (and all of you)
We still had a good time because we were all together, and the hotel itself is beautiful and we enjoyed the rooms and pool.

I agree that they should have done something nice for my mother. I told everyone about her situation (and also, since she had chemo she lost all her hair - they could have definitely noticed who I was talking about). She was so looking forward to her chocolate covered strawberries and I told them it was so important to me that I would pay to have them there, but it still didnt happen. She was also the most bothered by the A/C motion sensor issue that I spoke about because she wasnt able to nap during the day (she is still not feeling back to normal). We asked them if there was a way to by-pass the sensor and they said yes but they were'nt allowed to. My brother in law actually pryed off the front on the last day and re-wired it.

As you all can see, my sister and I are both very upset and hope to get some response from Disney. We also tried our best to hide a lot of these issues from my mother because she was the one who chose the GF even after the bad posts we read - we tried to get her to change to the YC but she had her heart set there. Good thing she doesnt know how to use the Internet message boards!

Princess49
08-10-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your expirience, and feel so badly about it. Of all of the good things I can say about WDW- I think the one thing that I would complain about is HOW they handle complaints. We had few problems our last trip- we lost a piece of paper in our room & called housekeeping about it & they told us we were "welcome to look in the dumpster if we wanted to" I was Disgusted. We complained about that & a few other things to the manager & she said a simple- I'm sorry & that was it. Isnt there some higher source we could talk to? How come when you're shopping "the customer is always right"? But in WDW (so magical) you dont get the same treatment. There has to be a Disney person some where that would be appalled that people are having this type of expirience. We were told to fill out a survey & I did for almost 2 hours & nothing came of it. I hope you and your family had a good time in spite of all of that. & Good health & luck to your parents!

Purrrrfecta
08-10-2002, 06:27 PM
I know that many of us choose to stay at Disney for the wonderful service they provide.

I have seen other companies where this has happened as well. Companies have financial problems, lay off people, hire people who are substandard, and the quality of service goes way down. I am not saying this is the reason, but I can't help from wondering of this could be one of the reasons why service is not the way it once was.

In any case, I am so sorry to hear about your trip.
I am just glad you have been able to voice your troubles here on he dis boards.

Connie

izzarelli
08-10-2002, 06:33 PM
I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the problems on your trip. It's so upsetting after planning a huge trip like that, and the worst part is that there was no reason for it happening. I hope you decide to write & let the chain of command know, hopefully something will come of it. Unfortunately they can't give you your vacation back but maybe it'll help in the future.

I have to agree with Princess49 about how Disney has been handling complaints. A lot of times all it would take is some kindness and sincerity from Disney to turn a situation around.

VickiVM
08-10-2002, 07:00 PM
After reading both yours and your sister's report, I don't see how anything less than a monetary "credit" would be sufficient. I typically don't support this because I rarely hear about service so bad that a sincere apology and more attentiveness couldn't correct the situation. But I can only imagine how much money your family of 16 contributed to WDW only to receive such horrendous service.

My DH's cousin is in remission from breast cancer and last year we were in Seattle where the weather was in the 50's to 60's and she was constantly hot...never wore a jacket because that's what the meds did to her. So I can imagine how uncomfortable your mother probabaly was (and perhaps never mentioned it because that sounds like the kind of person she is.) I think in the interest of her well-being they should have made an exception and by-passed the A/C sensoring system.

Honestly, you can get better service from a 16 year old at a McDonalds.

Please keep us posted. And God Bless your family.

zurgswife
08-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Our family has found that if you complain about problems start at the top and state what you expect should be fair compensation for your dissatisfaction......

We have had small problems at different times with different stays and we have always found that the squeaky wheel is heard at disney.....

The worst problem we had was have 1 room out of 18 check out early (IL's 50th wedding anniv. reunion) and them being told they owed the room rate for the room....we had paid for all 18 rooms in full 2 months earlier.....I sent them on there way and a CM at the front desk told me I could be arrested for leaving without paying......It got nasty at that point...

We wrote and talked to everybody we could and we finally got an apology and a satisfactory compensations...

I think you should keep writing letters until something is done...like you said you paid for the service and never recieved the level of service that GF concierge should have extended....

Good Luck..

ebhurleys
08-10-2002, 08:22 PM
I would like to know the deal with the air conditioning. When we were in the CR Towers and complained, we were told to leave the drapes closed when we leave the room and it would stay cooler. Sure enough every day when we returned housekeeping would leave them open (even after being asked to leave them closed). Our room would be in the high 90s. I can't imagine we were the only ones complaining. It seems like motion sensor air conditioning is not an option in Florida.

I also agree that the reason you pay for concierge is to get a little extra attention and some service. I can only imagine what 4 rooms cost. I would persue this as high as possible. There is no excuse and I hope that someone listens with an open mind.

freediverdude
08-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I wish your family all the best. I was horrified when I saw your's and your sister's posts. I was considering possibly trying the GF, but I certainly won't now. Frequently staying at Disney, and being a premium annual passholder, I know about how much that stay probably cost your family, and it's no joke that it probably cost more than some families' first houses. After reading all the posts on this subject, I am about ready to drive the hour or so from my house over to the GF to confront the hotel manager myself with printouts of all this. If it had been myself, I would probably have demanded to talk to Michael Eisner himself before I left LOL ( well at least knowing me, I probably would have not left the property without talking to someone above the hotel manager LOL). Again I sympathize, and i think you need to keep asking for someone higher up to help you or to write to, even if it means calling up CRO or one of the hotels and making some inquiries about who is the head of all the Disney World resorts, who the resort managers report to, without telling them what is going on, just to find out the name of who you should be talking to. I imagine most of the hotel cast members know who the resort managers report to, and it's just a matter of getting them to tell you. I will be at a Disney resort over Labor Day weekend and may even ask myself. I also am curious about this A/C with sensors, as I have not encountered those before, although I'm not usually in a deluxe resort. Does anyone know if these A/C units are in all the deluxe resorts? I was thinking about splurging on a deluxe this fall, but for the price I would be paying, I WILL NOT lay in the bed and sweat at night. One night, and I would be transferred to a resort without those units LOL. But anyway, I'm sorry for your experience, and I hope they offer you another vacation or something, or at least a few nights free.

pollyanna
08-10-2002, 10:22 PM
I'm confused as to why two different DISers are posting the same "problems"????...are you Laurie,also?:confused:

jgates
08-10-2002, 10:36 PM
I think she mentioned her sister was posting also as there were some problems joint & some problems that were individualized.

WeLoveDisney
08-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Yes, we are sisters. This was a family vacation and we had 4 rooms at the GF concierge

Laurie528
08-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Our posts are almost identical because we were on the same vacation with just a few days different

manning
08-11-2002, 01:05 AM
click onto the address below. it will send you over to the Rumor and news forum. this address will give names and addresses to write to at Disney.

SEND A LETTER TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84539

They're lucky it wasn't me. They would have been carrying me out of there kicking and screaming!!!!!!!!!

TracyQ
08-11-2002, 06:32 AM
I could not believe the rudeness and basic lack of service your family encountered at the resort Disney describes as the "consummate guest experience." You and your sister should both write letters to Disney in the same just-stating-the-facts tone you use here.

While most people have a pleasant stay at Disney resorts, in recent months there have been too many reports of guests being regarded by CMs as liars and annoyances. You could have paid half of what you paid (or less) and stayed at a nice luxury hotel in the Orlando area or even (gasp!) at Universal Studios. When you pay extra to stay at a Disney deluxe, you should receive a significantly higher level of service. As a previous poster mentioned, you would have better treated at an All Star. And no one who pays that kind of money for a hotel room should have to do jumping jacks in front of the air conditioner to keep it on. You should be able to run it continuously if that's what you want!

IMHO, Disney should charge all of you the going rate for an All Star, not GF concierge; your parents should be comped for a few nights stay at a Disney resort of their choice; and you should all receive a sincere letter of apology from Disney.

kalamazoo
08-11-2002, 06:46 AM
Yikes!!! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry you had so many problems - especially having paid for special top-class treatment. ITA that you should continue to complain and write to whomever you can. Not only might you (hopefully) finally get results, but I think it would be cathartic as well. I imagine it would be very hard to shake off that experience. I'm sure Disney has tons of complaints each day, but you would think that they would do something for you even if it was some kind of comp or perk to be put towards your next stay (if you could bring yourself to even try another WDW resort).

Disney1
08-11-2002, 07:22 AM
Despite the charm of WDW, the hotel service has gone downhill. For I while, I thought it was me expecting too much until my recent trip to the Ritz Carlton in Palm Beach. Now that was real 5 star service and the best meals I've ever had. The trip was very relaxing. To boot, we paid only $165 a night.

Disney hotels are too expensive and I've had better service at a Holiday Inn Express.

That's my two cents.

pollyanna
08-11-2002, 07:29 AM
Just wondering if the service was less than stellar due to...

Busy time of year?

Or the fact that you had discount rates?(I have discount rates for the first time ever on my upcoming trip and wonder if staff "unconciensiously" will not treat me the same?)

Gail T AGAIN
08-11-2002, 07:39 AM
I am so sorry that you had this kind of treatment when you took your mom for a special reason, surviving breat cancer. I found the same thing at BWI, the food was never replentished so you had to get there when the hr. started or you missed out. I did call the resort manager and he was the nicest guy about my problem, I would start there. I am going back to concierge at the BWI next yr. to try it out 1 more time, it is a beautiful resort and besides I am getting an upgrade to concierge. Sure, I have my doubts and if it is bad I will switch hotels, whetherit be in the park or out. I expect when I pay top $$$$$$ i want top service, you by all meens should of gotten that. good luck and let us know the outcome. God Bless your mom and your family.

CaipiraBob
08-11-2002, 07:43 AM
We have a stay planned at the Polynesian Concierge coming up soon and after what I've been reading recently I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

We aren't so much concerned about the concierge level services as we are about the basic services being performed properly. Even Tiki-Man mentioned his issues with how the resorts have been dealing with guest issues and if something could compel him not to return anytime soon then maybe the problem is far worse than we suspect.

I still have a good window to retrieve my deposit. Thank you for your post. If nothing else, if I continue to see such negative feedback posted for situations that should have been a no-brainer for Disney, we'll go to Universal or Bush Gardens instead. The kids aren't brainwashed on Disney so it won' be a problem.

Too bad. I was raised with Disney being a household name and well know for catering to families with excellent service. If Disney management has allowed it's resort/park services to decline this far, Disney may be in for far worse financials in the future.

The Parks/Resorts are the cashcow for a corporation that has made some horrible media decisions over the past few years. Some pretty stupid decisions being made on the part of their leadership to allow their only performing areas of cash flow to falter in the level of service they provide. Some of their other public relations disasters at the parks have only further alienated people looking for a "family oriented experience" in an environement where innocent children can be just that: innocent.

Capitalism is a marvelous thing: the market will inevitably produce an alternative for families who want that "magic" experience. If Disney has dropped the ball I'm sure that something will come along and take their place. At any rate, I'll continue to read the posts. If I'm convinced that we won't being receiving the level of service we expect, we can always go somewhere else. Such a pity. Walt Disney had expected so much more from his work...

Katesdad
08-11-2002, 07:57 AM
We all know why the service is declining. Stock prices are tumbling, profits down, upper management is in jeopardy of losing their bonuses and stock options. So, you cut heads and service in order to keep the profits up. You turn up the airconditioning and blame it on motion sensors. Don't fill up the buffet because you may have to throw away some food at the end of the day. Keep cutting, and eventually you cut attendance. We start going to Universal and Bush Gardens. So you now need to raise prices. Problem is, we keep coming because it's "Disney" and we are all hoping for that magical trip like we had when we were children. Now our children are not having that magical trip and they will be less likely to return with their family when they get older. I'm sorry Michael has started this downward spiral. It's always tough to recover from. Service will get worse. Facilities will get old and upkeep will decline. Or someone will wake up and realize what they are doing and get it turned around. One can only hope.

Purrrrfecta
08-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Katesdad,

I agree with your theory. I was thinking along those same lines. It is absolutely terrible.

Luv2Roam
08-11-2002, 08:13 AM
One thing Disney should consider. The Dead Hard Disney lovers are saying enough is enough with the cut backs. If the repeat visitors start going elsewhere....

goofyandmore
08-11-2002, 08:20 AM
I don't blame you for being upset, especially since the GM hasn't responded to you. I feel like calling them directly myself about this! In the summer of 1998 my whole family also stayed at the Grand Floridian since after my dad passed away my mom wanted all of the grandkids to go to Disney which is something my dad had wanted. We stayed in regular lagoon view rooms and had a great time, although I didn't feel that the staff at check in was especially friendly. We stayed at the poly concierage in April, 2001 and really loved it. But we still missed that Grand feeling, so were going to book the GF for this November. HOWEVER, now that I have read these reports, we are thinking this over! Could you tell me what resort you will pick next? thanks,Carolyn

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi Carolyn,

The GF is a beautiful hotel, and we didnt have any problems with any of the CM's other than the concierge staff and manager. If I felt compelled to stay there again (I wont, but just in case you want to), I would stay in a regular lagoon view room and just not pay the extra $ for the concierge. As far as other deluxe resorts, here's what I would base my opinion on:

AKL
Pros - This is my favorite. I love the lobby and theming, sight, smell, sound - it is all incorporated into the theme. Plus, since it is a little off the beaten path it also feels more private. We've always gotten great service here. All 3 restaurants from Jiko, Boma, to even the fast food Mara are very good.
Cons - Transportation - because of the distance there are long bus waits and we usually take our own car (doesnt bother us but it might affect others).

WL
Pros - Great theming, my sister had the best service ever here. We like the pool. and all the flowers. Not as convenient as a monorail resort to MK, but only a boat ride away.
Cons - Cant think of any except not on monorail

Contemporary
Pros - I know a lot of folks have issues with lack of theming. I sort of like the retro-modern feel. I stayed concierge Tower Club on a business trip and the service was great. The concierge buffet food came from the California Grill (a top restuarant) and was very good. Convenient transportation cant be beat. My teenage son loves the huge arcade here.
Cons - I hear the rooms in the wings are more rundown lookiing (never seen them), and can be a long walk. Also, for me, the vanities and sink are in the same room as the tub/shower. With my son and husband, I like to have it separated so that more than one person can get ready (one can be in shower while other shaves, dresses, etc.).

Poly
Pros - Love the new volcano pool. Kona and O'hana are some "must-do" restaurants for us. Convenient to TTC to get you anywhere. Rooms are huge.
Cons - Under some renovation now, lobby is 70's dated, you have to walk outside from monorail / lobby to get to your room which in rain would not be fun.

Yacht / Beach Club
Pros- Location! the back door to Epcot, if you like World Showcase, this is for you. Also, location to the BW and boat to MGM.
Cons - Cant think of any, this is where I would pick next time. I do hear there is some construction going on there.

BWI
Pros - Same as Yacht and Beach Club. Also, the pool has a great theme and the BW view rooms are fun
Cons - Since a lot of people park there to use the BW or go to Epcot, the lobby and grounds always seem really busy and are full of people who are not staying there. Some might like the excitement, but I find it too busy.

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 08:43 AM
Pollyanna,
This would be obvious, but do you think people walk around with a sign indicating how much they pay so that every CM knows and treats them accordingly? Even at a d/c rate we were paying over $400 per night.

Do you also know that most people have some kind of code for a d/c whether it be Florida resident, annual passholder, or some type of special?

jennymouse
08-11-2002, 08:46 AM
It was only a few weeks ago I was flamed on these boards for saying that, for me, concierge was not worth the money spent. I feel this way when people DO get the services they pay for. It's unspeakable when you don't get those paltry services......it's theft!

DisOrBust
08-11-2002, 09:24 AM
I can't believe that RPC has not gotten its act together yet! We continually have posts here even from our own moderators (Misti I believe ) on the lack of quality and service at the RPC. I thought in business when demand decreases is the time you do your "best show" and provide the best value and quality to increase demand. WDW has been doing the oposite by cutting all the "extras". I have no ambition to stay at RPC in my lifetime, I wonder is that the effect WDW is looking for?

Someone who has RPC email should email them this thread.

wdwfan
08-11-2002, 09:36 AM
WeLoveDisney,

I just read your post and I cannot believe how horribly you were treated!! The RPC has sunk down to a new level! I hope that you pursue this problem and that you receive an apology. I have always been intrigued with staying at the GF and of course trying out their conceirge, but why bother? I'd rather get a regular room with a nice view and keep my distance from the help. Totally unbelievable! Can you imagine how many other people have also been treated this rudely and have not alerted others to it by posting here? The RPC didn't learn this level of rudeness or the feeling that they can do it and get away with it over night. Again I hope you receive some level of satifaction and I do hope that you will not let the unprofessionalism of the RPC employees spoil your desire to vacation at Disney. Keep us posted as to what happens.

minnie56
We stayed at the Grand Floridian/RPC for the millenium celebrations in 2000. We had made the booking 10 years prior and paid approximately $800 per night for our stay!!! Too many issues to go into with absolutely no resolution from any one, including managers of many levels!!

Never again! Biggest disappointment of all our Disney experiences!!:mad:

goofyandmore
Thanks for the very detailed info Welovedisney! Have you been to the BC? I am now leaning toward the YC or BC but my 13 year old thinks it is still important to be on the monorail for a quick visit to magic kingdom, our fav. park, although I do love the epcot parade and illuminations-that music is great!! How quick is the walk though to Epcot? I remember the walk from the monorail to the showcases being a bit of a walk for my mom or maybe I am not remembering correctly. thanks, Carolyn

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi Carolyn

From YBC it's about a 5-10 minute walk to get to World Showcase. You end up in between England and France (not near the front entrance monorail). The BC is closest (about 5 minutes or less depending upon where your room is). YC is a little further but from the YC pier you can take a quick boat ride to MGM or to Epcot (instead of walking). There is also a nice walkway to MGM, but that is closer to a 20-25 min walk (a lot of people run/jog out there in the AM).

disneyispi
08-11-2002, 11:22 AM
I feel so sorry for you and your recent trip to GF. I must admit I am more than alittle nervous now about my own trip to the concierge level at Christmas time:confused:

I have stayed at the GF for my last 3 visits and perhaps I am a glutton for punishment, but each time I experienced some problems. I would say that the most serious transgression was 2 trips ago in 1997 at Halloween.

I stayed in Conch Key and none of my special needs were met when I checked in. No bed board, no refrig (for my medication), and not a non-smoking room. I am asthmatic and the smell of cigarettes and pine-sol was overwhelming. When I complained to the front desk they moved me immediately into another non-smoking room but it took 2 days for the refrig and the bedboard. I was keeping my medication on ice in my cooler.

The most horrific experience came at about 2 am. Even then the A/C was not cool and my asthma is heat induced, but even that wasn't the main horror. I was sound asleep when I heard someone trying my door (I was there alone). I guess I fell back asleep but woke up when someone, a man, tried to get into my bed next to me. I SCREAMED bloody murder and turned on the light. He was an old man and thoroughly confused. I ran from my room and tried to use the phone in the lobby to call the police or whoever - I dialed "0". It didn't work. The phone didn't work at all, and I certainly wasn't going to go back to my room.

Other people had heard me scream and came out and I said there was a strange man in my room and could someone please call the police. They too were shocked that the phone didn't work. An older woman came over and apologized to me - she said "My husband is harmless dear, he gets confused and wanders." I guess he has Alzheimer's or something. But I wanted to know how he got "access" to my room in the first place.

Although people said they called the front desk, after 45 minutes no one arrived. So a guest couple walked me to the front desk where I asked why no one had contacted me. They said they had not been informed of any problems.

I later found out that the GF had issued the same room codes to both our rooms. They said the computer decides random codes and occasionally, it happens.

I also had the bad experience of getting on a bus with a CM who was quite psycho. Some kids (8th graders) from some church group in the deep South who had never been to WDW were being kids and talking on the bus. The driver slammed on the brakes on the way to Typhoon Lagoon, stood up and said if the kids didn't quiet down immediately she had the authority to revoke their trips and send them home. This had the opposite effect on the kids - they started to cry. I was the only adult on the bus and I told the kids not to worry - she didn't have the authority. I then went up to the driver and said she might have been a little too hard on the kids. She told me to Shut my ****ing mouth and stay out of it, it was none of my business, and she had this authority to throw me off the bus. I quietly told her "no," and as I was a Disney stockholder I knew she did not not have any such authority. I then went back to my seat by the kids - a few of whom were whimpering. About 5 minutes passed and the kids were talking loudly again, without any warning the bus suddenly swerved across 2 lanes of traffic, went into the wrong entrance for the Downtown Disney area, and stopped. The driver opened the doors and said "I've had it!" and walked off. Some of the kids were tossed out of their seats and had fallen to the floor - now they REALLY were crying. I went to the radio and called for help.

Did I complain about all of this. YOU BET I DID! I tried the GM at GF, Ms. Sussan, but she was on medical leave for cancer. When I tried to go through other channels and got nowhere, I got mad. I wrote it all up and sent copies to Michael Eisner. He reimbursed me for the entire cost of my trip package. When Ms. Sussan returned, I got a free 3 day visit back to the GF.

My feeling is this, if the complaints do not get resolved to your satisfaction and they are serious enough, start at the top and work down. I was more than satisfied with the handling of the matter once I contacted Eisner.

Now, when I have returned to the GF, a few minor mistakes may be made, but they treat me like the queen I think I am or at least, that I've paid to be for my stay. Also, in these harder times, I find that I am trying to be a little more patient with people; today could be my last day on this earth, and I'd like to be remembered for something nice I said rather than being too demanding. But that's just me and my belief. Every one else has to do what they think and feel is right.

I read the McManus items and I am hoping my trip at Christmas for 2.5 weeks, will be more reflective of theirs, and not repeat or create new serious mistakes as is yours.

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Disneyispi
Thanks for your post. That is unbelievable - I feel so bad for those kids! I'm glad you were there, but sorry about your trip.

I've had no luck with Ms Sussan - how did you contact Michael Eisner?

disneyispi
08-11-2002, 11:41 AM
WeLuvDisney

Would you like his address and phone number?:bounce:

By the way, I am so incensed over what you and others have written that I am printing out all of these threads and am going to mail them to various Disney execs, including Eisner!!:mad:

I am a Disney stockholder and the GF is "supposed to be" the flagship of the entire WD experience. Not only has the flagship hit a titanic-sized iceberg - it's staff and their treatment of guests have run all of the lifeboats aground or scuttled them completely.

pollyanna
08-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Disneyispi.........having a strange man in your room and the bus incident were both incidents that put you in bodily harm and were caused by WDW employees neglect-thus i can see a reason for compensation.

As to the original poster(Sorry,just playing Devil's advocate here)......all the troubles that happened were merely inconvieniences(wrong PS's) or wanting something that you could not have(slippers,robes,food that was eaten)..I just can't see Disney giving monetary compensation for these things,no matter how disappointing they were for your family.

Laurie528
08-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Pollyanna,

First of all let me start by saying that none of us are expecting monetary compensation. By the way this is Laurie, welovedisney's sister (in case you were confused again). I agree that what happened to disneyispi was far worse by any account. However, as for your opionion of us having to deal with just some mere inconveniences, you obviously are confused yet again. When you pay the money we were paying for service you shouldn't have to deal with inconveniences. Not being able to get an extra bathrobe or slippers, or wrong PS were not major complaints, they just compiled onto the main complaints we already had.. i.e. key cards that would not work, resulting in 30 min waits in guest relations, staff that was not only rude but actually offensive, losing valuable items and just the sheer negligence of the staff with concern to anybody's feelings at all. Merely inconveniences that we had to deal with? I don't think so. Good thing you're not running Disney.

TammiMcMan
08-11-2002, 02:18 PM
I am so sorry that you had such a hard time at the RPC. I made a trip report and resort review as soon as we returned. We were there from 7/27-8/3. We actually had a wonderful time and experienced no problems. However, a trip that we took in 2000 to the GF was terrible. I also had a manager who out right lied to me and every time I tried to contact Ms. Sussan, she would put me back in touch with the afore mentioned liar. I went through the chain of command at Disney management and even tried Eisner himself. Finally, I was able to get the name of the president of Disney Hotels, Al Weiss. He can be reached at their corporate office. The address is P.O. Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000. My letter to him was answered promptly. We never asked for monetary compensation either and in fact I returned the offer that was given to us. I had already paid the money, I simply wanted my concerns addressed so that improvements could be made and those in the wrong, would be written up or better yet, given their walking papers.

It's disgraceful the way that you're family was treated. We were given robes and slippers for everyone in our room and several times members of the lounge staff would go into their staging room and bring back cookies for the kids between servings. So obviously these things can be done and you had the misfortune of having to deal with some extremely rude staff members.

I hope you can get some satisfaction from Mr. Weiss, but I know that I still have a bad taste in my mouth whenever I think about that July 2000 vacation.

Tammi McManus

minnie56
08-11-2002, 03:17 PM
A comment made by a Disney employee at Port Orleans/FQ (Front desk) back in June.
I asked her was she happy that PO/FQ had re-opened, having been closed for quite some time.
She said "Oh yes, I am so happy to be back. I was placed at The Grand Floridian during that time and I hated every minute of it"........when I asked her why?...she remarked that the clientelle at that resort are such snobs and expect so much...everyone just 'hates' working there!! I remarked on the popularity of the Hotel and was advised it had dropped to the number 8 position amongst the deluxe resorts.
Interesting, I guess it works both ways!:rolleyes:

Kim89
08-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Im sorry about your stay at GF! My parents and I weren't impressed with this resort as well. I really don't think my family and I will be staying there again any time soon!

doombuggy
08-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Wow! There are alot of bad experiences out there. I have never used conc., and now probalby never will. Ugh!

Congrats to your mom on surviving cancer! My grandma is in the same boat. My grampa died a couple of weeks ago (speaking of Altzheimer's) and I have been planning to take my gradma to WDW next May. We will not be staying at GF, that's for sure!

Thanks for the info, and good luck in your writing endeavors! :D

wdw4us2
08-11-2002, 03:27 PM
I am so sorry to read about all the problems you had during your stay at GF. I also agree that you need to send letter to all of the Disney higher-ups (address listed on the Rumors & News Board).

I have stayed at all of the Disney owned Resorts on the property EXCEPT the GF. After reading posts such as yours, I'm thinking that maybe we're not missing anything.

I have stayed in Concierge at AKL, YC and BC. Each time I've stayed at YC/BC Concierge, I have been very impressed by the CM's working there. AKL was nice, too, but at YC/BC they seem to go above and beyond.

I sincerely hope you get some satisfaction from Disney after you write to them!

Lisa:cool:

Jennyfyar
08-11-2002, 03:31 PM
I am so sorry the GF RPC was not as magical as you had hoped. It sounds like they have employed many uncaring, untrained people and the level of service is greatly lacking. I shudder to think of the money you and your parents spent on this trip to receive horrible service and rude CM's.

I sincerely hope you have many fond memories of this trip, beyond what you experienced at the GF. You were at a magical place, with your whole family, celebrating two tremendous milestones.

I also hope you receive some satisfactory compensation from the GF RPC.

Jenny

Babsy
08-11-2002, 03:48 PM
I am sorry that you had such a poor experience with service at the GF, however, I cannot say that I am surprised. I have had similar experiences there, myself. The first time, I thought that it may have been an unusually bad experience and decided to give the GF a second chance. By the end of the second visit, I had decided to never again stay at the GF. I, too, have stayed in most of the WDW resorts, and felt that i had reasonable expectations! What I didn't know is that the service at the All Star resorts is vastly superior to that provided at the Grand Floridian. It is unfortunate, because it is truly a beautiful resort.

I have visited WDW 2-3 times per year for many years now. Many people have asked me why I keep returning to the same place over and over again. Now I have begun to wonder myself. When Disney ended Early Entry, I considered staying outside. However, I still wanted the convenience and atmosphere of staying inside. Finally, now, after experiencing the resent declines in service and continual cutbacks, I am starting to travel elsewhere. Next year I am planning a Transatlantic cruise and a trip to Europe. For the first time in years, I will not get an Annual Pass. This doesn't mean that I will not visit WDW again, but certainly the frequency will be substantially reduced. It is very sad, but the cutbacks have reduced the value of the WDW vacation to the point that I feel there are other places where I will have a more enjoyable vacation experience.

Sorry for rambling, but as I read your post and others, it reinforced the unhappy conclusions that I have been forced to draw for myself. But I am still a huge Disney fan. Just a little disillusioned, I suppose.

But disillusionment in the World of Fantasy Illusion that was once WDW is a bitter pill to swallow, indeed.

Babs

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Babs,
That is a good part of the reason why I'm so upset. I feel the same way you do, too. I love Disney, and have always had an annual pass and looked forward to our trips there. I know the theme park and attractions inside and out. I would staunchly defend it to friends and family who asked why I wanted to go there on almost every vacation. I have so many good memories of travellng there and have seen things deteriorate over time (this by far being the worse). I am still hopeful that Disney does something to restore my faith (and no, Pollyanna, if you read the original post carefully you will see that I am not looking for any compensation).

pollyanna
08-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by WeLoveDisney
Babs,
That I am still hopeful that Disney does something to restore my faith (and no, Pollyanna, if you read the original post carefully you will see that I am not looking for any compensation).

So what exactly can Disney do "to restore your faith",if it doesn't involve compensation?:confused:

TammiMcMan
08-11-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure about Welovedisney and her family, but I was finally satisfied with an apology that was sincere. There was no reason to be treated so rudely, regardless of the complexity of their requests.

Tammi

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Pollyanna,

Are you really that confused? Soemtimes it's hard to tell people's intentions on a message board, so why dont you let me know why you're so curious and I'll answer any questions you have.

moosebug
08-11-2002, 06:01 PM
I for one think you should be compensated. At tleast give you back the money difference between standard and concierge. Seems to me concierge didn't do their job which is supposed to make your stay magical. Let's be frank--you probably spent 3 times the amount of money on your trip than I did if Disney treats their high paying customers like that what about little ol me??? I've never had a bad stay at Disney but I have heard they are having a rough time. Are the cm's feeling this in their checks and therefore taking it out on us??? I hope you and your family remember only the great times you had when you were there!!

Jen D
08-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I am so disappointed to read yet another report of lousy and indifferent servive from RPC at the GF. You really got shabby treatment. I really hope GF turns things around soon, because I've been planning on staying there, but these reports don't lie. Even the biggest GF boosters are disillusioned. I got better treatment last month at a three-star Wyndham in Cleveland that I paid for through Priceline at $45 a night. "Minor inconveniences--" I don't think so. At the very LEAST, at the Concierge level you are paying for the extra help in trip planning (which they botched) and the food / drinks in the Concierge lounge, which often weren't provided as they should have been. So you really didn't even get the basic level of Concierge service.

I hope the rest of your trip (the stuff NOT at the GF) went well. Please keep us updated on your correspondence with the GF.

Cmould
08-11-2002, 06:32 PM
We Love Disney,
In 1998 I too had a horrible experience at the RPC. Like you I was unable to get any immediate satisfaction. I persisted, my ongoing battle with the GF became the family joke. I was looking for compensation as I would any time I did not get the product I had paid for. I wrote, I emailed and I called. It took almost 5 months before I was able to reach someone who actually acknowledged my complaints and offered compensation for our troubles. We were offered park tickets and a discount on any future GF stays. I took the park tickets and when I was making my next years reservations I inquired if the discount could be applied at another resort as my husband was refusing to step foot in the GF again. To make a long story short we did stay at the RPC again and the staff fell all over themselves to make our stay magical. We have stayed there twice since then and both times were also magical vacations. ( The last time we were upgraded to the Vice- Presidential Suite!) Continue your contact and don't stop until you are satisfied. This is their flagship resort and their prices indicate that superior service should be a given. I'm only sorry that we had to experience the problems in the first place . It would have been nice for us and for your family to get the vacation that we paid for when we paid for it.
Carol

indigo
08-11-2002, 06:39 PM
As someone who might be staying Concierge in the near future, I'm curious to know what people think about the concierge buffet food running out and not being refilled. If I paid for concierge service should I be able to show up with 10 minutes to go in the service time and still find all food selections (or nearly all) available? Isn't this part of what we're paying for as concierge guests?

CaliforniaDreaming
08-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by minnie56
A comment made by a Disney employee at Port Orleans/FQ (Front desk) back in June.
I asked her was she happy that PO/FQ had re-opened, having been closed for quite some time.
She said "Oh yes, I am so happy to be back. I was placed at The Grand Floridian during that time and I hated every minute of it"........when I asked her why?...she remarked that the clientelle at that resort are such snobs and expect so much...everyone just 'hates' working there!! I remarked on the popularity of the Hotel and was advised it had dropped to the number 8 position amongst the deluxe resorts.
Interesting, I guess it works both ways!:rolleyes:

After my last trip, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'd hate to work with those guests, too. However, in a few years I might end up being a RPC CM (for some reason, I've wanted to for years, and may have the chance to do it for 8 months).

Jen D
08-11-2002, 06:48 PM
However, in a few years I might end up being a RPC CM (for some reason, I've wanted to for years, and may have the chance to do it for 8 months).

Now THIS gives me hope! If anyone can whip the RPC Concierge into shape and be dedicated to a level of service that befits Disney and the Grand Floridian, it is Cali!!

:D

WeLoveDisney
08-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi Cali,

When Minnie first posted here, I didnt respond because I felt I didnt have to. Now that you've quoted it, I'd like to know what her definition of a snob is, and do you guys think that is what my family is?

You should really look at the facts. The service we received is not what we paid for - and I'm not talking about service that I wanted or demanded because I thought that was the way it should be. I'm talking about service as defined and set by Disney's own employees, marketing materials, my prior stays there, and also by others experiences on this board.

I saw people from different age groups, ethnicities, and walks of life at the GF. So, before Minnie made a post of rolling her eyes, I'd like to know which ones you think are snobs and what makes someone a "snob"? Is it by income? travel experience? attitude? class?

Minnie, you dont know anything about me or my family, so dont stereotype.

Cmould
08-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Indigo,
I must say that in the 7 times I have stayed at or had access to the RPC lounge (through the Grand Plan), they have never run out of food. We often caught the service just before it ended and there was always plenty to eat. I hope that this problem is addressed immediately.
Carol

TammiMcMan
08-11-2002, 07:52 PM
When we stayed at RPC, we saw all kinds of people. Some who wouldn't acknowledge the "hello's" and "good mornings" of staff members and quite frankly treated them as though they were part of the furniture. I was chatting with a member of the lounge staff one morning and she said that not only was I the first person she saw with a smile, but also the first one who had even acknowledged her presence. There were others, like ourselves, who got to know them and found out that they are definite hidden Disney treasures. One morning I watched as a guest came out of her room with a rose. She presented it to the gentleman who had been working in the concierge lounge with us most of the week. He was quite pleased to wear it in his jacket lapel.

I know that we are good people and desperately tried to work out our July 2000 problems with a smile on our face. Welovedisney's family seems like good folks also and it certainly doesn't sound like they were making outrageous requests. I keep thinking back to my trip and maybe my expectations were too high, but was it too much to ask that our room be made up before 3:00 in the afternoon, were we unreasonable in expecting that if lounge service was to last until 7:30pm, that there would still be food available at 7? I could have easily written off the GF, but I voiced my complaints until I was heard and if anyone has read my recent review, we had a magical time there just last month. As with everything else, one former GF staff member claims that the hotel is full of snobs and unreasonable guests, while I spoke to a current staff member who had left the resort for a little while and couldn't wait to "come home" as he put it.

Cali, I'm jealous about the job. I hope it coincides with our next trip to WDW. I know we'd be in good hands.

Tammi

Disney1
08-11-2002, 09:44 PM
WeLoveDisney

I know exactly how you feel. You can't get it across to some people. You pick any 5 star resort in a great location, that's not run by Disney and you'll pay half as much and be treated like a king. It's that simple. It's not about being a snob. It's the way quality hotel chains run their business.

FunkyLamb
08-12-2002, 01:27 AM
We had a package for 8 days at OKW for a 1 bedroom. Cost me a ton of money. We get to check-in. The CM was kind of an *** and tells me there are no rooms available. Hello? I booked this thing a year ago. You have my money. He tried to BS me saying that he had a handicapped ready room which was just the same (probably didn't occur to him we knew what the rooms looked like). Because of the confusion of the next 36 hours, we had numerous other problems.

Here is what I recommend to every person out there who has any type of problem remotely similar to this...Contact the General Manager immediately.

I have been in the hospitality industry for over 12 years. The buck stops with GMs. Restaurant, hotels, clubs. You name it.

Arrange a meeting with the GM face to face. In my case I was very calm and cool about it. I sat down in the lobby and in a very business like tone explained my grievences and my expectations.

In my experience, most people usually wait to say anything. Don't wait till your vacation is over and everything is ruined, Track down that GM and talk to them on your terms...and don't settle for an assistant. Treat it like a business meeting and tell them what you think is fair expectations.

So what happened in my case? I was comped the first night, given the obligitory dessert basket in the room and was called personally every day by the GM fro the remainder of the stay. I later told my girlfriend that had I just did some screaming on the phone, none of that would have happened.

I'm so sorry you weren't able to enjoy yourself. I had a flashback the minute I read your story. I hope you can contact the GM and get some resolution to a very un-Disney like stay at the Grand Floridian.

CaliforniaDreaming
08-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Hi Cali,

When Minnie first posted here, I didnt respond because I felt I didnt have to. Now that you've quoted it, I'd like to know what her definition of a snob is, and do you guys think that is what my family is?

You should really look at the facts. The service we received is not what we paid for - and I'm not talking about service that I wanted or demanded because I thought that was the way it should be. I'm talking about service as defined and set by Disney's own employees, marketing materials, my prior stays there, and also by others experiences on this board.

I saw people from different age groups, ethnicities, and walks of life at the GF. So, before Minnie made a post of rolling her eyes, I'd like to know which ones you think are snobs and what makes someone a "snob"? Is it by income? travel experience? attitude? class?

Minnie, you dont know anything about me or my family, so dont stereotype.

Woah. I'm not trying to say that your family was anything in anyway of being snobs. While I can't speak for minnie, I think you had valid problems that should have been handled.

When I quoted Minnie's post, I did so not to comment on your family, but to comment on an encounter with a RPC guest during my recent stay. Many DIS'ers know the story, and agreed with me that this guy was being a jerk (for those of you that I forgotten, the "Ford Explorer guy"). I was actually reserved in the Royal Palm Club for my last trip, and after months and months and months of reading horrible reviews, we opted for a regular lagoon view room. And, yes, there were problems there. Not with the staff, the staff couldn't have been better to us (with the exception of the people you talk to when you push "housekeeping" on the in-room phone). The problems we encountered were with the room itself. Yep, the a/c, but that wasn't too much of a problem. Clogged bathtub drains, stained bedspreads/bedskirts, broken drapes, TV remotes that didn't work, the list goes on. I tried to work it out with housekeeping, but all they did was tell me they'd be right on it - which was a lie. I got the drain and TV remote taken care of with our maid (she got a nice tip that day), the other stuff (stained bedspreads/bedskirts and broken drapes) weren't anything too important to us, and I reported it to housekeeping, so it's their problem when future guests get upset with the lack of upkeep to the rooms - they were warned. Even though I had those problems, the GF continues to be my favorite resort. It's beautiful, I've been staying there for years, I'll probably never get enough of the place. We'll be staying at the Beach Club next trip, though. After staying at the GF twice this year, we need a change of pace (yes, there were some very minor problems during our January trip, but all it really included were weather [LOL] and slow valet parking).

Anyways (trying to look at humor here), I do think you received the service that you paid for. You stayed in the Royal Palm Club - and you experienced the "royal" service that the "Palm Club" has lately been famous for. No one ever said it was a good service. ;) :rolleyes:

I would recommend contacting Mr. Weiss and you'll probably get pretty far with him. You may also receive a post card in the mail from the GF to take an online survey - make sure you take it if you get the post card. :)

WeLoveDisney
08-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Cali. Sorry for being defensive, just misunderstood why you were quoting Minnie's comments.

I read about the Ford Explorer guy, too and I agree. he acted like a jerk. In fact, my husband and I joked about it when we pulled our car up to the valet at the started cracking up.

I hope you do get to work at the RPC, you could really make a difference!

Poly Pal
08-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Disneyispi! How awful that somebody was able to get into your room in the middle of the night, especially with you travelling alone!

I can comprehend how keys for two different rooms might accidentally be encoded the same. But how on earth did that "old man with alzheimers" manage to defeat the deadbolt and safety bar? Scary!

minnie56
08-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Hold on ......I was only repeating what had been said to me not making an observation of my own. Don't shoot the messenger!

Had you looked back, you would have seen an earlier post by me where I relayed my displeasure at Grand Floridian/RPC in 2000. I spent over $6000 in 5 days and left a list of complaints as long as my arm, which by the way, got me nowhere! Not even an admission that maybe 'we didn't do our best' here!!

I merely repeated the comment to show you how we all see things different. I too, was one of those people the Disney employee considered to be a 'snob' and unable to be pleased it seems, when in actual fact, I like most of you, only wanted what I felt I had paid dearly for!

I meant to offend no-one!

WeLoveDisney
08-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Apologies all the way around, then

Sorry, Minnie

minnie56
08-12-2002, 06:38 PM
We're all talking about the same thing here really. I think most of us see a change and it's not for the better!
Disney is becoming a bit of a tough sell at my house these days with my husband because he says he comes home feeling "gouged" and that he's not getting value for money anymore.
It is rather disheartening!

A kid at heart
08-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Check your pms.
did the room have a ceiling fan? wouldn't that be enough to have a motion in the room to keep the ac running? I definitley would have been calling them every 5 min to get it in proper working order. No ac in this heat?

WeLoveDisney
08-12-2002, 10:31 PM
No, the ceiling fan didnt create enough motion because it was too high. The motion detector is right on the thermostat control. You would walk by it whenever you entered the room or were sitting up on the beds. Like some of the others posted, we tried haning things off the ceiling fan but it didnt work right.

We asked for extra pillows because we threw them up at the control from bed whlie we were trying to sleep. lol. or not lol because it wasnt funny at the time.

And yes, I demanded to speak to every manager and engineer there and did not get them to change it. The display on the control said that it was 78 degrees, so this is really not an issue of me thinking it was too hot when it wasnt.

CaliforniaDreaming
08-13-2002, 08:27 AM
Did you ever try to tape a piece of paper over the sensor, and then turn the fan on to create some wind to "flicker" the piece of paper around?

WeLoveDisney
08-20-2002, 10:01 PM
I spoke to Georginna Sussan a few days ago and now have the official scoop on the motion sensors. Each thermostat is supposed to have a "setpoint" at 72. You can set your A/C lower than that, and it will cool to that level if there is motion in the room. With no motion (i.e. at night), the room should not get any warmer than the set 72. Unfortunately, not all of these thermostats are sensitive enough, or get reset by guests playing with the buttons to a higher level. Ours was going up to a high of 78 at night.

jlima
08-20-2002, 11:30 PM
. . . instruct the housekeepers to re-set it to 72 after a guest checks out!! What else did she tell you . . . I'd love to know!

Sammie
08-20-2002, 11:42 PM
I spoke to Georginna Sussan a few days ago and now have the official scoop on the motion sensors. Each thermostat is supposed to have a "setpoint" at 72. You can set your A/C lower than that, and it will cool to that level if there is motion in the room. With no motion (i.e. at night), the room should not get any warmer than the set 72. Unfortunately, not all of these thermostats are sensitive enough, or get reset by guests playing with the buttons to a higher level. Ours was going up to a high of 78 at night.

That is great that you were able to talk to the GM, surely you talked about more than the motion sensors.

Did you resolve the conflict?

MJS
08-21-2002, 07:28 AM
I am glad that you spoke with the elusive GM (I will have to tell my DH that she does exist! ;))I don't buy the story on the thermostat. We were there for almost two weeks in May, and the thermostat in our room did not work. It was over 90 degrees outside, and our room was above 80 some days. Engineering came at least every other day to mess with the thermostat, and they never got it right.

I invite the GM to spend a few nights in 4422.;)

Disney Doll
08-21-2002, 08:57 AM
I have never stayed in the GF, but have been there many times for dinner, sightseeing etc. I have personally never liked the "feel" of the place...it seems "stuffy" to me. I will stick with the YC/BC.

hallie
08-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles, that's not right.

Cons - Transportation - because of the distance there are long bus waits and we usually take our own car (doesnt bother us but it might affect others).

I was surprised to read that because we were at the AKL for 2 weeks this past April. We never waited more then 10 minutes for a bus and I thought the bus system was the best I've ever experienced at WDW. Yes, the hotel is further out but not sharing the busses makes up for the time I think. we took at bus a couple times from the YC and couldn't believe they had to share with the other resorts, once we waited 15 minutes and then said forget it and walked to the monorail instead-lol.

Again I'm sorry to hear about your time at GFRPC, you should recieve something in compensation, atleast a sincere apology or how about a credit towards your next WDW stay?

saturday97
08-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Do all the resorts have the motion sensor A/C??

freediverdude
08-21-2002, 06:54 PM
I believe I may have had the same type of A/C in my wing room at the Contemporary this past weekend, although it seemed to be completely overridden. It had the same LCD readout with the set temp and actual temp, and two buttons for hotter or cooler, and a white round bulb that I believe was a motion sensor. I think either the hotel or a guest had completely overridden the sensor though, because I could even open the sliding door and it didn't turn off. However, if I turned it a few degrees too high, the little light turned red, and the HEAT came on! It seems if the light is green, it's A/C, and if it's red it's heat. And, in order to get it back to A/C from the heat setting, I had to turn it way WAY cooler to get it to go back to A/C ( the set temp had to be set to probably over 10-15 degrees cooler than the actual temp before it would turn back to A/C). It kind of sounds like maybe these were installed and the hotel people don't know how to work them, so they either just left them and hoped the guests could work it in some cases, or in other cases just overrode all the sensors to avoid complaints. But the GM of the GF was probably correct about the set temp, because it was set to about 72 or 73 when I first walked in.

goofyandmore
08-21-2002, 09:26 PM
All right Cali!!! Are you talking about that program disney has where college students can apply to work there and get credit for it? Anyway, I think that's what it is.

You should be the manager of the all darn place!

Wow, you have to tell us in advance if you are doing this, so we can make reservations and see you in action. I can only imagine that the RPC would be THE BEST concierage in the world!!!

Carolyn:) :) :) :)

CaliforniaDreaming
08-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by goofyandmore
All right Cali!!! Are you talking about that program disney has where college students can apply to work there and get credit for it? Anyway, I think that's what it is.

You should be the manager of the all darn place!

Wow, you have to tell us in advance if you are doing this, so we can make reservations and see you in action. I can only imagine that the RPC would be THE BEST concierage in the world!!!

Carolyn:) :) :) :)

Exactly! ;) It was actually recommended to me by some CM's at the GF, I knew about the program but never considered it before. I will request a position at the GF, RPC desk if possible. What do you think the RPC would be like with me working there? :cool:

disneyispi
08-21-2002, 09:49 PM
quote:

Exactly! It was actually recommended to me by some CM's at the GF, I knew about the program but never considered it before. I will request a position at the GF, RPC desk if possible. What do you think the RPC would be like with me working there?

Go Cali x2 (or squared)!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Please say you'll be at RPC by Dec!!!! Then I am absolutely assured that the RPC will run as smooth as silk! And I shall have no worries and be happy! As shall we all!!!

CaliforniaDreaming
08-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Not this December! I'll give everyone a few years to start saving up! ;) I'll even override the A/C system so it stays the temperature you want!

disneyispi
08-21-2002, 09:57 PM
Thanks Cali - I'll have to go back when you are there. As for the A/C - I like snow in my room, perhaps I'll take a refrigeration course before I leave, so I'll know how to operate it! LOL:p

jabrown40
08-21-2002, 11:20 PM
I just got back from BC and GF a couple of days ago. I know I would not go back to the GF. I will say that for some unknown reason, I was upgraded to a lagoon view in Boca Chica, and had a wonderful view of the fireworks, which I did see 2 nights. I have a totally different complaint. As you all know, Florida has been experiencing a lot of rain this summer. We were dressed up for a special dinner at Artist Point however coming out of the lodge, we were presented with a torrential downpour. (It had rained on and off all day, but this was fierce.) There were about 15 people stuck under the canopy of the lodge, many dressed for a nice dinner. A few of the canopied luggage golf carts drove by, but none would stop. I picked up the house phone, and asked the front desk if there was any way anyone could "rescue" us, so we could get to the main building. His response - "we don't do that." I explained several people were dressed nicely but got a flat "get an umbrella." Well, my son offered me the extra outer shirt he was wearing to sort of keep the rain off, and we made a run for it. Our clothing was absolutely soaked, including our shoes (ruined my dress sandals) and by the time we got to Wilderness Lodge, we looked like drowned rats. Not to mention the air conditioning was working fine there, so we also were quickly chilled. It made for a horrible dinner experience (food was great) and I just can't believe in those conditions, at 200-300 dollars a night that no one could help. Those little golf carts were dry as could be, and they all just drove by empty. I'll never stay there again, if that's an example of service. At least the BC is enclosed! (i know, I should have had an umbrella, but it wouldn't have helped my shoes or clothes). I know this may sound petty, but again, if this is a flagship hotel, I just think they should do their best to assist as needed.

WeLoveDisney
08-22-2002, 07:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your wet dinner :(

A few years ago, I stayed at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach on a business trip. I was caught in their lobby waiting for the rain to slow down so I could dash to my car. Without me asking, a bellman came over to me with an umbrella and offered to walk me to my car. That's service!

For those of you who asked about my conversation with the elusive Ms Sussan, yes, she does exist, but I only got her to call me back after I found out who her boss was and left a message for him. Then she called me back the same day. (And that was after leaving messages for her and her assistant for 2 weeks).

Disney1
08-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Service is very important to me on my vacations. I use these retreats to get relaxation and as well as new inspiration. As my job is in the sevice industry much like Disney's, my vacations are needed to "recharge" the battery. During the '90's, Disney high standards would get me all fired up again about customer service and I would return with a new purpose. Now I don't get that sense of pride in service when I visit anymore. It's the little things that make the difference.

Sammie
08-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your wet dinner :(

A few years ago, I stayed at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach on a business trip. I was caught in their lobby waiting for the rain to slow down so I could dash to my car. Without me asking, a bellman came over to me with an umbrella and offered to walk me to my car. That's service!

For those of you who asked about my conversation with the elusive Ms Sussan, yes, she does exist, but I only got her to call me back after I found out who her boss was and left a message for him. Then she called me back the same day. (And that was after leaving messages for her and her assistant for 2 weeks).

Did you get an apology, compensation, would love to know the details? Especially after you went through so much to hear from her.

Kallison
08-22-2002, 08:22 AM
After reading so many bad reports about the GF on the boards, it is one resort I no longer have an urge to try. Sorry for all your problems, I think you had very realistic expectations.

MJS
08-22-2002, 08:33 AM
We just booked a winter vacation at the Four Seasons. It is amazing to me the difference in dealing with them versus the RPC. The attitude at the Four Seasons is we can and will do anything to make sure that you have a great trip. The attitude at the GF was, we can't do that...we can't promise that...we can't fix that...not my job...Ugh! What a refreshing change! I hope the Four Seasons builds a resort in Orlando!

Kaitysmom
08-22-2002, 09:02 AM
We stayed at GF once. I had really high expectations because I had stayed at the other resorts. I thought this one was supposed to top them all - not only in price. Not worth it to us - we left kind of disappointed. Thank goodness we didn't go concierge!!! I hope they can find a way to bring the customer service back to the levels they were at before - maybe they just can't find good help anymore. It is sad to see all the cuts and changes, even the subtle ones, because it just isn't the same place anymore. It is still a wonderful place, but just not as wonderful. We're doing a Halloween trip and another two weeks in the winter and then we're done for a while :(

WeLoveDisney
08-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Here's Disney's response.
Georgine the GM was very professional and offered many apologies. She said that our experiences were not what they accept from their CM's and that she would take appropriate action. (I really didnt want to get anyone in trouble, to me since our problems were so widespread it is a training or mgmt problem). She also offered me her personal phone number and said to call her before my next trip and whether I stayed at the Grand or not she would make sure I was well taken care of. I was for the most part satisfied after our conversation. (A small part of me was not satisfied because she made a lot of excuses - hotel busy, cant keep track of all employees, etc. I really just wanted an apology).

I also spoke to Georgine's boss (VP of Hotel Operations). That conversation was very positive. He was very reassuring and seemed to take the problems much more seriously than Georgine. Unlike her, he asked what he could do and how I wanted this handled from here. All I asked for was (1) an apology (2) for him to ensure me my next trip would be smoother , (3) someone would return my sister Laurie's calls to discuss her problems separately with her, and (4) that they send a letter to my parents thanking them for choosing the GF to celebrate this special time in their lives. I do think he would have done more (i.e. credit) but I made it clear in the beginning that was not what I was looking for.

Sammie
08-22-2002, 05:01 PM
Glad you were able to work this out. You were gracious not to want more than you did, an explanation and apology.

That will make my friends feel better about their trip.

alexcturner
08-22-2002, 06:38 PM
We stayed at the GF RP a few days after 9/11. (We moved over from the BWV after other family members left.) We were upgraded upon check in(maybe because there was hardly anyone there. We had a nice experience, however I would have been very disappointed had we paid $$$$$ for RP. The food was ok but did not compare with the food or svc at the Poly. Also, we asked for a tour of some of the suites while we were there. The CM that took us around was very nice but asked us if we ever stay at Wilderness Lodge. We told him we hadnt yet. He said to stay there next time. That we would like it alot. He inferred that he did not really like the GF. I love the looks of the resort and the location, but I am at a loss also why management runs it the way it does. I guess thats why when Michael Eisner is there he stays at The Yacht Club. Maybe someone should suggest to him to stay at GF for 4 or 5 days. We LOVE Disney and are stockholders, Disney vacation club owners and go usually 3 or 4 times a yr and I also believe everyone should get what they pay for and then some. This is supposed to be Disney's flagship hotel.Please Disney, take notice and fix these problems.:bounce:Put someone in charge here that knows what customer service means. Maybe management needs to go to Disney University (the program they charge other companies to attend to teach them customer svc etc) or maybe they need to go to Four Seasons or another hotel to learn service. I mean this seriously. We have stayed at GF many times, for the look of the hotel, location etc. After the 1st time we knew it was not for the service. Housekeeping threw my own personal house shoes away(or something, anyway we never found them) and they never did anything to make it right. That was a small thing. However, I was not surprised by the above stories. I hope they truly change because GF could be a great hotel. I personally think only a return comped trip could make up for the trip you experienced. Pls print this and send this entire post to Michael Eisner, he just bought 10 million $$ in more Disney Stock so surely we wants the value to go up.
So do I.

MJS
08-22-2002, 08:15 PM
WeLoveDisney - I sent you a private message.

I am glad that you heard from management, and I hope that your issues were resolved to your satisfaction.

goofyandmore
08-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Cali, since you asked, yes, I know exactly what the RPC would be like with you running it and I want in!! Why you ask, read on:

You will have the whole GF running smoothly and beautifully. The CM's will not only be great with the guests but they will be happy to work there which in turns pays off all around.

The food in concierage will be bountiful yet tastefully delicious.

CM's will come to you will all of their questions and problems and that will suit you fine because you will know exactly how to handle the situation to everyone's satisfaction.

You will do such a great job to the pleasure of management, CM's and guests alike that your job will not be limited to the RPC, they will test you on select days as the General Manager for the GF and be so impressed that they keep you there with full reign to manage the RPC or any other part of the GF.

Then the Polynesian will hear about you and ask for a meeting to try and attract you to their hotel which you will seriously consider because you love it there too, but your heart will not let you part with the GF.

Since the start of your career there, attendance will increase ten fold.

Cali, there is no doubt in my mind that the Grand Floridian will be at its Grandest with you at the head of the ranks.

Just remember us little folks who knew you when! Carolyn:D :D

CaliforniaDreaming
08-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Then I'll move to CEO of Disney? :cool:

Actually, I would like to be the "Vice-President and Head of Resort Opperations" for Disney. :)

goofyandmore
08-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Is the Vice Pres. in charge of resort operations the highest position in charge of the hotels altogether? If not, why stop there Cali? I often wondered about working at the resorts because although there is alot of work, I think it would be great to work in the happiest place in the world! Carolyn

CaliforniaDreaming
08-23-2002, 10:03 PM
I think VP might be the highest incharge of resorts, but there might be a Prez, too. I'll have to check my Disney annual report sometime.

:)

dreamflight99
08-24-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaDreaming
Then I'll move to CEO of Disney? :cool:

Actually, I would like to be the "Vice-President and Head of Resort Opperations" for Disney. :) & I'll be "Asst. VP and Asst. Head of resort operations CUSTOMER SERVICE manager"! LOL...Together....We would turn the place upside down, and amend it all in a Hurry! ;)

hmp2z
08-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi! I just wanted to post, that we were upgraded to Royal Palm Concierge for our Disney wedding/honeymoon trip, and it has spoiled us so much that we will ALWAYS stay RPC from now on. I have heard many reviews, positive and negative of the GF concierge, and I think that a lot of it is in your expectations. In my opinion, when you pay extra for concierge, you pay for the room location (the best in the World, in my opinion), and the services of the concierge staff itself.
Any extras, like champagne in the room, or chocolate covered strawberries, are just extras to me. I understand that they don't make an unlimited supply of each item, and it's true that the concierge lounge was pretty full when we were there. They do put different items out for each different daily offering, so if I had happened to miss something (didn't happen - fully stocked and refreshed every time we were there), I would have just waited for the next item.
I think that yes, it is a lot of money to spend, but I would be clear before I went what I was spending the money on - location & concierge services. A lot of the problems I read here, like the robe issue, could be easily remedied, and wouldn't really have put me out. I don't know that I would categorize this as a "Horror Story" - I have had many worse experiences at hotels.
To give another side of the story, they did everything possible to make our stay not only memorable, but extremely magical. From the free upgrade, to the champagne & roses, chocolates, and cards left in our room each night (different things for different nights). Perhaps our expectations were unreasonably low, but we always just go to Disney expecting things to be clean and to get what we've paid for (i.e. lagoon view room, if that's what we've reserved) and other than that, we just let Disney work their own magic, and hang on for the ride :)
Cheers!
Heather W

Bugster
08-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Glad you had a great stay there.

I cannot comment on what others expectations are when they travel to the RPC. Some posters have mentioned that they had low expectations, so it seems to me that it is difficult to opine on what another RPC guest is thinking. You do not know what my expectations are, and I do not know yours. That said, my expectations are different when I am paying $700/night versus an upgrade. Big Difference!

There does seems to be a common theme in recent months about service at the RPC. There are problems, and Disney needs to fix them. It is not the guest's fault, regardless of expectations. Clearly, there is a service problem at the RPC. The GF is a beautiful resort, and I hope that Disney can return the RPC to a magical place.

To the original poster - You trip does sound like a horror story, and I hope that everything gets resolved in a postive way!

WeLoveDisney
08-24-2002, 04:42 PM
HMPZ,
You seemed to miss the meaning of my post. I'm happy you had a good time, but please dont invalidate what you dont understand or didnt take the time to read thoroughly.

Would you enjoy sweating in a room day and night that was almost 80 degrees that they refused to fix?

Would you enjoy being spoken to rudely by the CM's?

Would you enjoy standing in the rain at MK because for the 3rd time they didnt get your passes right?

Would you enjoy listening to CM's make fun of a teenage girl, someone's daughter?

Would you enjoy being promised things that never happened, despite assurances by management?

hmp2z
08-24-2002, 05:03 PM
I understand that some things went wrong, and yes, that is a pity, but there were some of the items listed under the "horror story" that seemed less than horrific to me, like the strawberries running out. I'm not discrediting all of your complaints - it just seemed like some of them were kind of reaching, to me...
Cheers!
Heather W

WeLoveDisney
08-24-2002, 05:15 PM
OK, But the problem with the strawberries wasnt simply that there werent any. The problem was how it was handled. The strawberries were something that my parents were looking forward to. They dont travel much and for whatever reason it was important to them. I told the concierge that and asked if I could pay to have them delivered to their room via room service and was told there was no need to, they would assure me we would have them that night. Well, after a few nights of missing them and only seeing empty trays, we asked on the next to last night if there were any more, could we please have some, we were told "if you want the good stuff get here earlier". It was all in the way it was handled and the rude comment that made me upset, not the fact I didnt have a strawberry!

Limmer
08-25-2002, 10:06 AM
hmp2z, I think what you might be misunderstanding is that it was all of these things that happened. I believe WeloveDiney said earler in the thread that if it was one of these problems it could be overlooked but when ALL these things happen one after the other and are not taken care of when complained about then there is the problem.