PDA

View Full Version : What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

pooh2001
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I will start a list of not so normal items to pack for use at WDW.

We bring a McDonalds takeout cardboard 4 cup holder. We bring plastic Disney cups in 4 different patterns, whcih fit into the McDonalds 4 cup holder. What we use it for is a tooth brush holder. Everyone gets a cup assigned to them, to place their toothbrush in. The toothbrushes are organized and do not touch the counter. :goodvibes

We also bring a power bar with at least 8 outlets in it. We use the power bar to plug in our 4 cell phones, camera batteries, ipods, and anything else which needs charging. It helps when there are only 2 or 3 plus available to charge things at night. :goodvibes

We bring ziplock bags in quart and gallon sizes. We use them to store any food we bring back to the room (no bugs please) and our cell phones & camera's when it rains. :goodvibes

What do you bring and use at WDW which are not normal items like a brush, clothes, extra sneakers ?

stinkerbelle's mom
05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the power cord! :) Good idea about the McDonald's thing, but we use the toothbrush covers.

We bring the over the door shoe racks with pockets. Keeps everything neat and organized in the room.

Find ourselves packing extra quarters and pennies for laundry and penny presses. Apparently we only do laundry while at Disney lol. This year we're gonna try the Purex all in one sheets.

delaneyc52
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Large plastic cups w/cover so I can bring wine down to the pool without paying large bar bills...;)

Moleskin for the handling of hubbie's predicted blisters.:rolleyes1

Pool noodles because yes I am too cheap to pay double the price at the resorts that sel:beach:l them.

Shih-Tzu
05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
This year we're gonna try the Purex all in one sheets.

I took some of these last year after reading about them on the DIS boards - the only problem was they weren't in Canada yet, so I literally drove to the States one weekend to get some to pack....I just put 4 into a zip lock bag and they were marvelous (plus, when we arrived at CBR, all our clothes came out of the suitcase smell marvellous!!!)

Something I take that I normally don't take when I travel anywhere else is Crystal Lite in the little individual serving tubes - if I don't like the taste of the water...I use one of those and if you take them out of the box, they take VERY little room when travelling.

The pool noodles look like a great idea, but I can't see me trying to get down the aisle of a couple of airplanes with them and during our plane change at JFK I'm sure there would be a couple of people staring at us in December :lmao:

I always have zip lock bags with me - and I make sure I have a couple of the big ones so if there's time to swim on the day we leave, I can put the bathing suit in it without getting everything else wet.....

And I pack a sewing needle...and if we run into a "problem" I use dental floss (we take the clear kind) as thread because it goes with anything and it is probably stronger than any type of thread you can probably buy....

I'll probably think of something else at about 2:00am (but I'm not going to get out of bed to post it :rotfl2:...but if I remember in the morning....I will)

Shih-Tzu
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
After reading my post, I noticed that I used the word "probably" a lot - sorry about that...that's what happens when you read, type and watch Doc with Billy Ray Cyrus all at the same time. I'll do better my next post.

baileysp
05-10-2010, 07:49 PM
good tip on the crystal lite.

delaneyc52
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
The pool noodles look like a great idea, but I can't see me trying to get down the aisle of a couple of airplanes with them and during our plane change at JFK I'm sure there would be a couple of people staring at us in December :lmao:-
Silly...they easily bend and are very light....just curl them up in your checked luggage!!

evilqueenmindy
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I get a lot of mockery for always having shout wipes in my theme park backpack, but how QUICKLY the tune changes when one has a ketchup incident!

Shih-Tzu
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Ahhhh, Shout wipes! Fantastic idea. I used to always carry a Tide pen in my purse, but there were a couple of white things that it turned "yellow" where I used it.....thanks for the suggestion!

Reference the pool noodle...the ones that I have must be a different size than you have - (mine are about 5 feet long and about 5 inches around and quite stiff foam so I never imagined they would fit in a suitcase) ...but we actually pack pretty light and have managed to travel with suitcases that can be used as carry on although we've always checked them - but yes, they might fit into a bigger suitcase - and now that you suggest that, I'm going to dig out the 26" suitcase and see if I can get them in there and how much room I'd have left....I was just having this picture of us dragging this neon green and pink things through an airport where there was snow on the ground outside....must cut down on the coffee;)

Another suggestion is postage stamps so you don't have to chase everywhere to find some to mail post cards back home - of course that doesn't work for me because I can't buy US stamps here, but I remember trying to find a place that sold some when I was there.....I thought I'd have some fun this year and mail all my Christmas cards from Disney...

DVCmom1960
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Brita water pitcher, and a video case with our favorite dvd's. Oh and laptop.:surfweb: PS I looove my owners locker:love:

cglaura
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I take a stack of lids from take-out drinks. If you turn it upside down and insert a popsicle or mickey bar through the straw x-cut, then the lid will catch any drips! :mickeybar

WelovMickey!
05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I take a stack of lids from take-out drinks. If you turn it upside down and insert a popsicle or mickey bar through the straw x-cut, then the lid will catch any drips! :mickeybar

One of the best tips I have read in a long time!!:worship:

LisaCat
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM

AWESOME tip! For anyone collecting the smashed pennies, the Mentos Gum containers are just the right size to put them in. You can get a LOT of them in a container and you can peel the labels off and glue on a piece of paper with each child's name on it if you have more than one kiddo collecting them. Also keeps Mom or Dad from having a bunch of loose, smashed pennies in their purse/pocket/pack at the end of the day and small collectors arguing over whose are whose!

And on the Crystal Lite packets tip.... they make some that are labeled "Hydration" that will help replace the electrolytes you lose sweating in that toasty FL sunshine! Pedialyte also now makes a powdered mix packet.

Reto
05-11-2010, 04:17 AM
One of those thick, black sharpies for the character autographs. Most regular-sized pens are just too small for the fur characters to hold properly.

pooh2001
05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Stickerbells Mom - thank you for your idea, love it :lovestruc... over the door shoe racks with pockets.

cglaura - :mickeybar thank you also for the way not to get drips from ice cream pops - stack of lids from take-out drinks.

delaneyc52 - Pool noodles -> can you use them at resort pools ? I did not know pool toys are allowed in resort pools :confused3

Shih-Tzu - Crystal Lite in the little individual serving tubes - wow a great way tpo make water taste better :goodvibes

evilqueenmindy - With my DD always seeming to get tomatoe sauce on her white shirts, your idea of shout wipes :thumbsup2 are wonderful !

DVCmom1960 - thank you for the media (laptop, DVD's) idea :3dglasses

Reto - :)thick, black sharpies, I will start to look for them.

Shih-Tzu
05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Ohhhh, I love this thread:love:....lots of useful information.....the idea with the lids!!! I'm a little old for the character autographs, but I remember taking a great big thick pen when the boys were small so they could write with those great big paws....(but I'm still not too old to always end up with ice cream and popsicle drips):lmao:

I haven't seen the "hydration" Crystal Lite yet, but that sounds even better...of course we're always later getting the nifty stuff in Canada (like the Purex 3'n'1 sheets) but hopefully I'll be over to Houlton a few times before my trip so I'll check for those - if not, I'll try to remember to pick some up in Bangor the day before I fly out....

All the ideas are great so far..

DisneySJB
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I also pack ziploc bags!!

Also, one of the best tips I've ever received on these boards is regarding water. Either bring or have a case of bottled water shipped to your room. Bring frozen bottle of water with you to the parks. Right about the time they are thawing, you will need a drink and won't have to pay park prices for a bottled water. :cool1: I love it that Disney lets you bring in food and drinks.

Greenfield1984
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
LOVE the tip about the plastic drink lids. Pure genious!

We bring our pop up hamper. Keeps the room neater and easier for doing laundry.
I also soak cut up spnges in dish soap and let them dry so we can wash out our mugs at night.

pooh2001
05-11-2010, 11:45 AM
If we all start to do the plastic drink lids for the ice cream pops :Mickeybar
then I bet others will start to use them too.

Maybe WDW will get the hint and have plastic lid type sliders for the ice cream sticks with Disney characters on them. They could even charge an extra 25 cents for each plastic lid type slider. I bet guests would buy them, children of all ages will keep and collect them, guests & the pathways will stay cleaner and WDW could make some profit.

We buy popcorn in the buckets and not the boxes, so we can keep the bucket as a sovenier. :goodvibes
So why not also keep Disney themed plastic slider pop holders ?

TammiDZ
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
wow....these are great! I've never heard of 1/2 of them. I'm definitely going to bring a power strip this year and the take-out cup lids for dripping ice cream.....BRILLIANT!

I know it's silly and not as clever as all the other posts, but I NEVER go to Disney without a waterbottle-fan.

Bembol_Rocco
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I also pack ziploc bags!!

I love it that Disney lets you bring in food and drinks.

Sweet. What a lifesaver.

jacksmomma
05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I am a bit germaphobic so in addition to some things already mentioned I bring...

A small can of lysol, great to germ killing on room surfaces, public tables, or public bathrooms.

Lysol wipes, I know they are horrible for the environment but I have to clean the TV remote, phone, etc in the room. Not to mention the pack n play we got on our last trip was covered with dried peanut butter left over from its last user! :scared: I cleaned that thing from top to bottom before putting DS in it!

WINTER
05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
taking my noodle in my checked bag! Last year at the Pop pool, there were noodles there that didn't seem to belong to 'anyone', just there for whoever wanted to use them. Maybe they got left:confused3 I would probalby leave mine for the general use!

JenniJ
05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought I'd have some fun this year and mail all my Christmas cards from Disney...

LOVE the idea of mailing all the x-mas cards from Disney! And we are traveling there end of November begining of December! Thanks! :thumbsup2

musclemouse
05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
These are all awesome ideas!

Mine is a collapsable cloth box from the dollar store. I put it on the table closest to the door for any little items that don't have their own place. I toss the door keys, change, etc... I also use them by the sink and beds.

delaneyc52
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
taking my noodle in my checked bag! Last year at the Pop pool, there were noodles there that didn't seem to belong to 'anyone', just there for whoever wanted to use them. Maybe they got left:confused3 I would probalby leave mine for the general use!
This makes me smile :) At BWV, they actually seemed to have a noodle graveyard for those of us who choose to leave our beloved noodles behind. I thought it was a great idea! Grab and go noodles!!!

bearlyanne
05-11-2010, 10:12 PM

I think I :love:you...what a great idea

verygfy
05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I bring a small fleece blanket, it is not very big and folds up in the backpack pretty easily which we use for the parades to absorb some of the heat from the sidewalks..

LovesTimone
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I bring a collapsible cooler which we take to the pool. In the cooler I fill from our in room cooler, soft drinks, water and adult beverages. I bought a plastic bottle with one of those freezer things to hold wine. Super money saver. NO glass at the pool please.
Gatoraid has the packet's that you pour into water, great on a hot day.
I bring my own pillows, must have!!!
Its a good thing that we drive.:rotfl:

saree
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
this one would probably be for adults!

i bring those oil absorbing sheets that clean and clear or neutragena(sp?) put out. they have like 50 in a little box (so its really easy to just pop into a bag!) but they are great for just wiping off the oil from your face so you don't look all greasy and sweaty in your pics. they dont smudge makeup and from my experience they dont interfere with sunscreen. the sunscreen thing being mainly why i use them -- i hate having my face feel all greasy nasty after i apply faceblock!

scrapbookmommy
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I bring a collapsible cooler which we take to the pool. In the cooler I fill from our in room cooler, soft drinks, water and adult beverages. I bought a plastic bottle with one of those freezer things to hold wine. Super money saver. NO glass at the pool please.
Gatoraid has the packet's that you pour into water, great on a hot day.
I bring my own pillows, must have!!!
Its a good thing that we drive.:rotfl:

So they don't say anything if you bring your own drink to the pool as long as it's not glass? I had wondered about this.

xipetotec
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
We pack an extra suitcase inside another. 1) eaasier to pack all unfolded dirty clothes, but MORE importantly, luggage is bigger/heavier after souvenirs are purchased.

We also do the ziplock bags.

Sinderelly
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Packing cubes! We used these last year for the first time. OUr suitcases held alot more and we bought one color for each person. Just take the cubes out of your suitcase and you are all unpacked! I'm a cubie addict! :rotfl:

cathydwin
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I like to have the address labels pre-printed for the postcards. Use a sandwich baggie for the labels & postcard stamp and all in one place when ready to send postcards.:rotfl:

Extension cord along with the power strip. If I am decorationg the window for Halloween or Christmas, a timer so that we come back to the lights on!

Alcohol wipes for any sticky residue left when removing the light from the window

ZoZo
05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Here's my weirdest one: I cut off a piece of a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth. It folds up very small, and packs into a ziploc bag. So nice to have when you want to sit on the ground (in case it's wet, dirty, sticky, etc.). Sit on it flannel-side-up! You can get those tablecloths at dollar stores - I keep one in the trunk of my car.

A swimmer's towel. They're also really small, but soak up so much liquid. If you're going on a ride after a rain shower, or on a water ride like Kali, you can wipe off the seat and wring out the towel.

Bandanas to keep cool. Soak in cold water, wring out, then wear around your neck.

PEANUT1
05-13-2010, 07:13 PM
In January my husband put battery powered LED mini christmas lights on our stroller..it made it really easy to find and everyone loved it:thumbsup2

KelleyGirl
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
We pack an empty canvas duffle bag in the suitcase for extra room on the way home. Its lighter than putting a suitcase in a suitcase. When we are vacationing without doing laundry, I will pack the dirty clothes, daily, into the empty duffle bag. At the end of the trip, we will have an empty suitcase for souvenirs and most of the packing is already done!

Some other items I don't think were mentioned yet:
pocket knife
tweezers for splinters
can/bottle coozie to keep drinks cold
toothbrush divider
extra trash bags (good for wet clothes going back into the suitcase)

Also, I reuse the souvenir popcorn containers to bring snacks into the park. We'll put ice in the bottom and then add ziploc bags of grapes or other fruit, also good for other snacks like a half bag of chips to be saved for later. The handle makes it easy to hang on the stroller.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lid idea for popsicles! Can't wait to use that one!! :thumbsup2

abaldacci
05-14-2010, 08:07 AM
we bring a pump soap from home so we don't have the yucky bar laying at the sink.

ag98
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks, everyone! These are great ideas! I've made many additions to my packing list from these!

wvnative
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
In our case, the powerstrip is a must. There are never enough outlets. lol

I think the only thing we always bring that wasn't mentioned was a nightlight. I really don't like waking up in a strange place in total darkness especially when I always travel with at least one teenage girl so you never know where they've laid a bag of a pair of shoes. haha

We also always bring a tide 2 go pen.

Neither of us care for Crystal light (or any of the others that taste like apsartame) so we bring the koolaid packs. Same concept, less after taste. haha

We also bring two mini M&M tubes. One green and one red. They're the perfect size. Green holds quarters and pennies for pressing. Red holds the pressed pennies.

AlyJoy716
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Packing cubes! We used these last year for the first time. OUr suitcases held alot more and we bought one color for each person. Just take the cubes out of your suitcase and you are all unpacked! I'm a cubie addict! :rotfl:

Where do you buy these packing cubes? Sounds like a great idea, but I don't think I've ever seen them.

Shih-Tzu
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Night light - good idea....(I cheated last time and left the light on in the bathroom and then just left the door open a crack......when I woke up in the night at least I knew what direction to head in ;)...

and of course, I take a few bags of King Cole Tea - can't get that down there but if you're from Atlantic Canada, you understand why:)

LWQuestie
05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Where do you buy these packing cubes? Sounds like a great idea, but I don't think I've ever seen them.

You can get them at REI, eBags, Magellans and specialty luggage stores.

lroger01
05-14-2010, 06:08 PM
All of these ideas are great.

I bring a "utility" bag. Think of it as a junk drawer for vacation. In it I put a few zip ties, caribiner clips, rubberbands, a flat pack of duct tape, small (credit-card sized) ziplock bags, a little twine or rope, clothes pins and other clips, safety pins, velcro straps/sticky velcro, etc. It sounds like a lot but really all fits in a quart-sized ziplock bag. There have been some trips where I didn't use any of it and others where it saved the day.

kencrane
05-14-2010, 10:27 PM
We bring a small box fan, I can not sleep with some kind of air movement, and it creates white noise to help cover the sounds of our neighbors flushing at pop.

steph73
05-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Definitely another vote for ziplock bags! They really come in handy. And another thumbs up on a power strip (or two!). We have 3 cell phones, 2 Nintendo DS's and a couple of cameras that need to be charged every night.

I always bring a pop up hamper or two. I discovered them a few years ago and I can't travel without them now! I leave a couple collapsed down in a small zippered pocket in my luggage at all times, they're great. And the new Purex all in one sheets with the detergent and fabric softener built in are wonderful for travel.

I saw that a hanging shoe organizer with pockets has already been mentioned, but I second that as well. Also, a canvas closet hanging sweater organizer. You can fit an entire outfit or two in each cubby... even more for small children's clothes. Very useful when drawer space is limited.

Let's see... clothes pins. They really are useful for a lot of things... keeping the curtains closed well and hanging up wet bathing suits are two that immediately pop into mind.

Ladies... bring some type of anti-frizz product for your hair! The Florida humidity is murder on almost all hair types. Even if you plan to just pull it back into a pony tail every day, a good anti-frizz product will help keep it neat.

A small package of wet wipes to take into the park. Also, if you have access to a freezer, you can wet a washcloth and freeze it overnight and bring it into the parks in a ziplock. Great for cooling down, and it can be rinsed out and reused as needed during the day.

I love these tips, great ideas, keep them coming! :thumbsup2

crisrn2003
05-15-2010, 04:50 AM
I saw someone mentioned moleskin for blisters. Just a bit of info to provide to prevent those blisters. Each morning, after the shower and before dressing, spray your feet with antiperspirant/deodorant. Any kind will do---a cheap $1 can of Suave works fine. Spray in between toes, soles, sides, etc. This will prevent your feet from sweating which results in friction and blisters. If you rest in the afternoon, reapply the deo before going back out. We could have potentially not needed to reapply, but why take chances?

My spouse and I ended up with over a dozen blisters on our first trip. WDW does not have any real relief aids for feet. After this tip, not one blister have we had since. Hope it works well for everyone.

Huntava
05-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned...but I freeze a couple bottle waters in the hotels minifridge/freezer. Put in backpack...they slowly melt, and you can hold them on your pulse points for intant heat relief. As they melt, you have cold water to drink.

LovesTimone
05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
So they don't say anything if you bring your own drink to the pool as long as it's not glass? I had wondered about this.

I started this when DD was little, she turned 21 last month,I have never had anyone say anything except what a great idea.Now we are talking about a small carry over the shoulder type not a rolling cooler. When DD was little, I put in juice boxes, capri suns, soda and water. I always bring my own beach towels (disney themed of course)I bring my own snack to the pool too. This has saved us alot of money over the years. One round of drinks at the pool bar 2 adult beverages and 1 kids smoothie would be around 25.00 with tip. Not that we never get drinks at the pool bar but if we are planning to stay for several hours then we bring the cooler with us. We think we save around at least 100.00 for a couple of hours at the pool.

DisneyWorldbuff
05-15-2010, 02:37 PM
We bring our own beach towels for the kids( I got some with their names embroidered from Disney last year). The sea of white towels on lounge chairs makes it hard for my family to see where they need to "meet" me. The colorful towels also prevent people from "taking" your lounge chair while in the pool(I hate that).

LoriABil
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I love this thread!

I was thinking about the lids for the ice pops/ice cream when I remembered that many places with "Kid's Meals" around here had the hard plastic cups and lids (reusable kind). We used to keep the small cups (perfect size for DS) but through the lids out. I'll have to start saving those! The harder plastic ones could be washed a reused!

Also, regarding pop-up hampers: there are over-the-door hampers for $3 to $4 at Target/Walmart that fold flat and pop up. We put it on the back of a closet door.

All I might add is, because we go around MNSSHP, we bring a "Glow Light" (Think Glow stick that never runs out). DS loves it, and it keeps him from wanting more "Glow products" in the parks - also makes it easy to find him! My dad bought it for camping, because he could turn it off (unlike the kind you break and wait for them to run out). It also flashes, and DS knows to turn that on if he feels lost!

TinaLala
05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
My favorite Disney item that I bring is a cooler backpack that we got at Target! We can keep the water cold all day long. We bring a few ice cooler packs and put them in a sink filled with ice overnight so the ice packs are cool during the day.

I second the ziploc bags - can't go wrong with those anytime!! I also have one with a cold facecloth to 'refresh'.

We always bring LED lights on keychains for the walk from the bus to the wrong just in case it's too dark along the way - especially important when you are staying at Fort Wilderness. And when rides get super dark and the kids get scared.

We use M&M containers for our pennies and quarters. Make sure you soak the pennies in ketchup before you go so they are super shinny!!

Blanket - we bought a Disney blanket one year that folds up into a pillow. We use it for the DHS parade or the pillows when the kids are asleep on the bus.

Musky
05-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Since we usually drive, we can take all kinds of unusual stuff, like our own pillows, a toaster, etc., but probably the strangest thing I bring is my bubbling/massaging foot bath. Nothing feels better after a long day in the parks!:cloud9:

pezheadmeg
05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Extra batteries. My camera takes standard AAs.

A master lock, a lot doesn't fit in the room safes.

My power strip? Cannot travel without it, so much easier in terms of plugging in chargers

Sunscreen wipes, individually wrapped.

hsmamato2
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I got a toothbrush holder at Walmart in the bathroom shelves section- I use it at home and I bring it for travel,it's a small plastic 4 brush holder,with a small shelf for the t-paste- and it has 2 suction cups on it,stick it on any hotel room mirror,and you have instant clean spot for brushes and paste,it takes up almost no room to pack-I love it! Also love my mesh popup hamper

FamilyShortyAJP
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Must haves for me in using public restrooms with my DD were post it notes to cover the automatic flushers and individually wrapped sanitizing wipes for cleaning the seats (you can buy them in bulk at Sams Club).

Brita water pitcher. I would fill it up in my hotel room (since FL water tastes icky) and then fill up a water bottle each day with it and ice and head out. Could get free cups of ice in the park when needed.

MooksterL1
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I get a lot of mockery for always having shout wipes in my theme park backpack, but how QUICKLY the tune changes when one has a ketchup incident!

Fantastic ideas! Thank you! My family will think I'm a genius when I whip these out in 3 weeks. :goodvibes

ban26ana
05-25-2010, 06:56 AM
We use post-its for the automatic toilets too!

Pack tons of outlet covers. Those kids find every single outlet.

kimis
05-25-2010, 08:00 AM
We bring our own beach towels for the kids( I got some with their names embroidered from Disney last year). The sea of white towels on lounge chairs makes it hard for my family to see where they need to "meet" me. The colorful towels also prevent people from "taking" your lounge chair while in the pool(I hate that).

If you bring your own beach towell (we do) how much do they charge to put your name on it? Thank you.

gonesaleing
05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
flat collapsible tupperware containers - use them to put snacks for the parks. Keeps the snacks/sandwichs from getting squashed and once they are empty, the collapse flat, easier to carry. Greener solution to plastic bags.

scarlet_ibis
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM

I love this tip! Thank you!

scarlet_ibis
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
We bring night lights for the room(s) and glow sticks, which do triple duty of entertaining the kids, helping to identify the stroller, and lighting up the room after dark.

We bring our own pins to trade (bought off of ebay).

Postcard stamps. I'm another one who likes to pre-print postcard addresses on labels.

We sort of scoffed when my mom suggested bringing our wireless router, but it would have been VERY useful in our 2BR villa, where the only internet connection was by the dining area.

On the tech side, we also bring a second SD card for the camera for when we fill the first.

My favorite ziploc bag use for the parks is for keeping the autograph books dry and the Sharpies separate from anything they might leak on. (I make custom autograph books for my kids, so I have a lot of time and money invested in them!)

We brought the over-the-door shoe organizer last time and didn't really use it. (And the door was too wide to use it, so it had to hang in the closet.) Now, I really like the tip for the hanging collapsible shelves because we had 5 people and only 4 small drawers in our room and 4 small drawers in the TV cabinet in the main room.

Tip: Baby wipes work similarly to Shout wipes on a lot of stains. SO well that you may question what's in them that you're putting on your baby's bottom!

yrdlyprincess
05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
valium....really for my sanity

disneydreamingdebby
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Tip I read somewhere else: an electronics bag. I plan on trying this for our next trip. All charging cords, chargers, power strip...With two phones, laptop, pocket video cam, ipod, cameras...it will be easier for it all to be together.

Hedy
05-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Ahhhh, Shout wipes! Fantastic idea. I used to always carry a Tide pen in my purse, but there were a couple of white things that it turned "yellow" where I used it.....thanks for the suggestion!

LOVE LOVE my Shout wipes on vacation. Much better than a tide pen when you are on the go.
I am a bit germaphobic so in addition to some things already mentioned I bring...

A small can of lysol, great to germ killing on room surfaces, public tables, or public bathrooms.

Lysol wipes, I know they are horrible for the environment but I have to clean the TV remote, phone, etc in the room. Not to mention the pack n play we got on our last trip was covered with dried peanut butter left over from its last user! :scared: I cleaned that thing from top to bottom before putting DS in it!
I order my water from Staples, and this year I also added some Lysol wipes and pump soap to my order-that way I didn't nee to pack them.
this one would probably be for adults!

i bring those oil absorbing sheets that clean and clear or neutragena(sp?) put out. they have like 50 in a little box (so its really easy to just pop into a bag!) but they are great for just wiping off the oil from your face so you don't look all greasy and sweaty in your pics. they dont smudge makeup and from my experience they dont interfere with sunscreen. the sunscreen thing being mainly why i use them -- i hate having my face feel all greasy nasty after i apply faceblock!
ELF makes these-you can get them for $1 at Target.
Here's my weirdest one: I cut off a piece of a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth. It folds up very small, and packs into a ziploc bag. So nice to have when you want to sit on the ground (in case it's wet, dirty, sticky, etc.). Sit on it flannel-side-up! You can get those tablecloths at dollar stores - I keep one in the trunk of my car.

A swimmer's towel. They're also really small, but soak up so much liquid. If you're going on a ride after a rain shower, or on a water ride like Kali, you can wipe off the seat and wring out the towel.

Bandanas to keep cool. Soak in cold water, wring out, then wear around your neck.
LOVE mine.

pooh2001
05-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I love the idea of personalized beach towels.

Disney Store website I think can personalize beach towels
http://www.disneystore.com/disney/store/DSISearch?Searchstr=beach+towel&storeId=10051&catalogId=10002&categoryId=11776&langId=-1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Nu=pProductID&Nr=OR%28pStoreID%3A10051%2CpStoreID%3A10601%2CpSto reID%3A10052%29&Ntk=All_Shopping&Ntt=beach+towel&selectedOption=All+of+Disney+Store&D=beach+towel&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Dr=OR%28pStoreID%3A10051%2CpStoreID%3A10601%2CpSto reID%3A10052%29&Dn=0&lid=search_submit&Search.x=48&Search.y=21

www.landsend.com also does beach towels with personalizations.
http://www.landsend.com/ix/index.html?store=le&action=newSearch&search=beach+towels
select to monogram it - I think for $5
Max. Characters: 10, including numbers, letters and the following punctuation: ! . # / - " '

You may even have a t-shirt design store which can personalize beach towels.

irisesareblue
05-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure if this is relevant but I pack all my clothing in Ziploc bags when I'm packing my suitcase - just roll the clothes and pop them into quart sized bags and push out the air, then zip. I can get more clothing into my carry-on and not pay the extra fee for checked luggage. As well, if the suitcase is opened at security, my un-mentionables are not out on display.:rotfl2:

I also purchase Mary Kay face wash cloths - they are "dry" and don't count towards liquids in the carry-on. You just run them under the tap and they suds up - I cut them in half before using them as I find that half of one is sufficient. And no need for toner as it's a two in one! Keeps the maintenance down as well. My Mary Kay rep thinks I'm nuts as this is the only thing I ever buy from her....

Such a great idea for a thread BTW. One week from tonight I'll be back at Disney World.:woohoo:

MissSha
05-30-2010, 07:41 AM
We found these great Brita water filters that fit in water bottles to refill and take to the parks. We think the water in the bubblers tastes aweful, and these filters take out that mineral/rotten egg taste!

MissSha
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Can't forget to mention Body Glide. It's great to prevent inner thigh chafing from all that walking in shorts!!!!:lmao:

CandyHead09
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Hmm my parents I'm pretty sure brought coffee cause the coffee in disneyworld tastes pretty gnarly :laughing:

also hangers and high heels HAHA I dont know why but this one pair of heels i have is SSSOOO comfy.

SuFiMomma
05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Just a quick thought on the personalized towels and/or shirts... Generally, due to "stranger danger", most experts will advise against putting your child's name on shirts. Maybe monogramming (initialing)the towels or shirts would be a better idea.

*NikkiBell*
05-31-2010, 02:48 PM
I just bought a set of three packing cubes thanks to this thread. Amazon has them for $26 with free shipping. I'm hoping they work as well as advertised here! :)

Happy Mom2
05-31-2010, 03:16 PM

GREAT idea!! I will definitely be doing this!! :cheer2:

cwestbrook
05-31-2010, 10:36 PM
I've read tons of travel packing lists and this is the first time I've read the drink lids for ice cream idea--priceless.

Thanks for all the ideas-I've made a long list.

Some ideas I can add:
room spray
bug spray or wipes
ear plugs and eye covers to sleep better
suction cup hooks to hang things from

codenamejack
05-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Haven't seen anyone mention febreze for the bathroom yet.

Last trip, we had collapsible water bottles and attached them by carabiner loops. They were so handy. We could refill at drinking fountains throughout the day and roll them up when they were empty. Ours were the Platypus Sport Bottles and I purchased them through Amazon. The carabiners on cinch loops were $1 at Walmart.

pooh2001
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Just a quick thought on the personalized towels and/or shirts... Generally, due to "stranger danger", most experts will advise against putting your child's name on shirts. Maybe monogramming (initialing)the towels or shirts would be a better idea.

I was not going to do first names - maybe our last name (5 characters)
or maybe Pooh Crew (9 characters)

we could do our zip code too - 5 characters

sort of personalized but not really

Virtucomp
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
We got some clear ID badge holders and retractable clips for them at Walmart in the office supplies section. We carry out Room Key in them during extra magic ours.

The CMs want to see your resort key now before letting you in. It was great to just pull the badge up and show them without having to fumble around.

The pack of badge holders was .97 and three retractable clips were $1.47 if I remember correctly.

sambuster
06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Moleskin, is a must.

Steve

Brook1099
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
what great ideas for traveling, I am thankful we drive becasue I do have to pack my
-Blanket, pillows and a fan is a must.
-over the door hooks cant leave without them
-mesh laundry bag that I hang on the over the door hooks
-Target has a fanny pack that holds a cell phone and a few card, lipstick and is has drink holder, using that this year.
- bnider ring for all my DD and myself hairbands, they always are in one spot haning them on the hooks in the bathroom(use this at home as well)
-I always freeze a water bottle a night to take to parks in the morning, in the heat this is great
- just bought from QVC cooling wraps, called Cood Downz , hoping to help stay cool when hot.going to try them @ Great Adventure this year, will post somewhere if they work
-bungy bands for folding our blankets and pillows for more room in duffle.
-small cooler for pool days to bring drinks and snacks.
_ small flashlite for dark rooms and a lite for keychain to take into parks, when dark and cannot see in front of me.
ziplocks and containers for all the leftover snacks credits.

- most important for my kids is a dogchain( usually Disney themed, I let them pick it out) w/ my cell # on it no names.I have bought the wristbands in the past too.

WDWGeek1971
06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
We pack an extra suitcase inside another. 1) eaasier to pack all unfolded dirty clothes, but MORE importantly, luggage is bigger/heavier after souvenirs are purchased.

We also do the ziplock bags.

I bought a giant, zipper topped tote bag from LL Bean and pack in my suitcase heading out. We prop it open in the bottom of the closet and use it as a laundry hamper while at WDW and then just zip it up as we pack to leave. Souvenirs, toiletries, shoes and such, then go back into the suit cases for the trip home.

Advantages are many . . . Place to put laundry in the room, avoiding have to run around in the morning picking up dirty clothes dropped on the floor the night before. Whole bag goes straight to the laundry when we get home. Extra room to bring home more than we brought. Packing up to leave is easier and quicker. Don't have to worry quite so much about transporting home purchases made during the trip.

WDWGeek1971
06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I also purchase Mary Kay face wash cloths - they are "dry" and don't count towards liquids in the carry-on. You just run them under the tap and they suds up - I cut them in half before using them as I find that half of one is sufficient. And no need for toner as it's a two in one! Keeps the maintenance down as well. My Mary Kay rep thinks I'm nuts as this is the only thing I ever buy from her....

I use the Olay face wash cloths--which also are "dry". I just buy them at Target and have great luck with them. They remove eye make-up, too, on the rare occasion when I bother to dab on a bit of mascara. I'm over 50 and find they leave my skin clean and minimize the need for an evening moisturizer, especially while traveling in the humidity that is Florida!

One of the reasons I use these, is that it helps avoid the stench of the central Florida tap water. First started using them because they are moist, and can be further moistened with bottled or boiled water--which is particularly helpful if you're traveling in the third world where the tap water can kill you. Fortunately, Florida water only smells badly, it isn't actually lethal. :-)

nsla35
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
These are some awsome suggestions. I am truly interested in the collapsible bottles or cups. Where can I get these must haves for WDW.

Thanks,

Elaina

emmabemmainc
06-03-2010, 07:01 AM
These are some awsome suggestions. I am truly interested in the collapsible bottles or cups. Where can I get these must haves for WDW.

Thanks,

Elaina

I've seen the cups atleast, at Target--in the camping aisle.

wets1210
06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Subscribing

codenamejack
06-03-2010, 10:14 AM
If you're asking about the bottles I mentioned, I bought them through Amazon. Other sites sell them too. They came in really handy! I felt better not buying and throwing away tons of plastic and we always had water on hand. Very handy in hot summer lines. :)

HeatherN
06-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Glo sticksfor the kids, great for parades, fireworks and entertaining the kids before shows.

A plastic shower curtainYou can get these at the dollar store, we use it for covering up strollers if it's raining , and we clip it to the stroller with clothespins, and you can also use it to sit on at the parades.

Mister FansThis saved our trip in August...you can get them at Walmart

Flip flopsThis may sound crazy, but we got really cheap ones and they pack pretty flat....we would change into them before water rides, and it saved us from squishing around in wet sneakers all day

Soft sided cooler.For keeping extra drinks and snacks cool.

Hedy
06-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Glo sticksfor the kids, great for parades, fireworks and entertaining the kids before shows.

A plastic shower curtainYou can get these at the dollar store, we use it for covering up strollers if it's raining , and we clip it to the stroller with clothespins, and you can also use it to sit on at the parades.

Mister FansThis saved our trip in August...you can get them at Walmart

Flip flopsThis may sound crazy, but we got really cheap ones and they pack pretty flat....we would change into them before water rides, and it saved us from squishing around in wet sneakers all day

Soft sided cooler.For keeping extra drinks and snacks cool.
If you're looking for misting fans, the dollar section at Target has a pump mister for $2.50

Trinity524
06-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I love this idea!

kimsuenew
06-05-2010, 11:34 AM
We :goodvibes always :goodvibes pack/take the following (these go into my "park bag" daily):

Shout wipes
Dramamine
Small bottle of Tylenol
All size baggies
Antibacterial wipes (indidual pakaged ones)
Kool-Aid/Crystal Light Packets
Extra Memory Cards
Mini M&M container (2... one for already rotated penny and two quarters and one to put pressed pennies in)
Over the door shoe hanger
Small pack of tissues
Lipbalm
Compact that has a mirror
Travel sized deoderant
Splenda
Sunglasses
Gum
Hairbrush
Fresh washcloth daily
Glasses wipes (individually packaged)
Trading pins (for both my DS and myself)
A couple of large bags... to cover my park bag when it pours!
An extra shirt for myself "just in case"
A few band-aids and antiseptic wipes
My glucose meter
Alcolhol wipes
Glucose tabs for when sugar unexpectedly drops
Cell phone
Inhaler
KTTW Card(s)
ID
Contact solution
Contact case
Pair of glasses
Day by day ADR Reservation list for the entire vacation

Although this list is long, it easily fits into my Jansport Sling that I use exclusively at WDW! :thumbsup2

And while this is not taken to the park daily, it is packed! We ALWAYS take our own pillows (ech, others drool... no thank you) and an over the door shoe rack to organize H&BA, ect... I also bring a tub of Lysol Wipes to clean knobs, light switches, handles, the telephone, and so on!

Trinity524
06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Okay, I had to read through everything first to make sure I wasn't duplicating..

I bring my own hair dryer. The ones on property take forever to dry my hair. It's bulky, but when you have a toddler screaming that he needs to see Buzz Lightyear, you might thank yourself.

I used to bring a shower curtain to block off the sink from the bedroom area for the value resorts. If you are staying at the refurbed Pop, you won't need this anymore.

I bring my own conditioner. Shampoo is shampoo, but conditioner is a must with some defrizzing help. If you have wavy or curly hair, your hair will look horrible if you don't dry it all the way and use product help.

Balmex for heat rash.

Chewing gum - It's not sold in the parks. I refuse to allow my husband smoke in front of my child, or yours. Suck it up DH, just because you don't love your lungs doesn't mean you can ruin everyone elses... oops, rant.

Lip balm with sunscreen. If you don't bring it, you will be sorry. I wear lipstick, but this is for the boys.

Allergy medication. I bring the Claritin redi tabs. When you are travelling out of your normal area, you never know if you will be allergic to a blooming tree you never saw before.

Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I am OCD about ironing but on vacation, I try to be normal. After clothes are in the suitcase, I spray and hang up.

I am totally subbing! Thanks OP!

mickey&minniealways
06-05-2010, 03:04 PM
we bring a lingere bag. You know the ones you use to wash your delicates in the laundry. Instead of bringing a pump soap dispenser that can leak in your suitcase put your bar of soap in there. You hang it up in the shower. It avoids picking up that icky wet soap.

Colored ice cube trays. If you use the colored ones mousekeeping wont think you took theirs. The tray in the villas always seem to be missing. But we freezed juice in these or wine for the adults. This way if you do bring it down to the pool it keeps your drinks cool without diluting them. Also freeze grapes in them. The frozen grapes keeps things cold. Put them in ziploc bags or Plastic containers. Helps keep food you bring down to pool or parks cold.

Denamac
06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
My DH came up with this idea a few years ago. We pack our digital camera and it's printer (along with photo paper). Then each night when we get back from the park, we print the pictures from that day and go ahead and put them in our photo album we bought as soon as we arrived at Disney. This makes it so easy to show everyone your pictures as soon as you get home. I would have never thought of this, but it really works out well!

mrodgers
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
My DH came up with this idea a few years ago. We pack our digital camera and it's printer (along with photo paper). Then each night when we get back from the park, we print the pictures from that day and go ahead and put them in our photo album we bought as soon as we arrived at Disney. This makes it so easy to show everyone your pictures as soon as you get home. I would have never thought of this, but it really works out well!
Half the fun of photography is playing around with the pictures. I do far too much processing and playing around to be able to print every evening in the resort room. Good idea though for the snapshooters. FAR cheaper though to send them out to a good printer like AdoramaPix (my recommmendation for excellent prints.)

j&d+2princesses
06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Wow, what awesome ideas! Definitely will be borrowing quite a few of these for you all. Thank you!

Kara
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Ive never heard of these??? where do I look for them??

mommycrawford
06-10-2010, 08:09 AM
crystalized ginger for nausea....Sometimes it's the heat, sometimes it's the food, and sometimes motion, but it's easy to carry and keeps things at bay!:thumbsup2

AlyJoy716
06-10-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't see how some of you take all this stuff with you. :confused3 You must drive! :thumbsup2 We fly, so we have to keep stuff to a minimum. I've already created a "Disney Packing List" that includes several of the items mentioned. Thanks for the great ideas!:love:

Sinderelly
06-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't see how some of you take all this stuff with you. :confused3 You must drive! :thumbsup2 We fly, so we have to keep stuff to a minimum. I've already created a "Disney Packing List" that includes several of the items mentioned. Thanks for the great ideas!:love:

LOL we fly Southwest so we can take a little more (gotta watch the bag weight though). ;) The packing cubes allow us to fit more into our suitcases. I was skeptical at first but wow!

We take a portable fan (small flat box type) which doubles as a white noise machine and keeping cool in the bathroom while getting ready. Nothing worse than a sweaty princess! :earseek:

mr.bungle
06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
We shipped a box over with a lot of food items as well as toiletries. Almond milk, cereal, etc.. We also ordered a box of granola bars from Costco and had it delivered to our room.

Each day we would pack some "to go" cereal packets (pouch kind not box kind) and granola bars in the backpack to munch on. We used the almond milk for the cereal and it traveled quite well. We weren't on the dining plan and always ate breakfast in our room with our own food.

I like a strong cup of coffee in the morning and in room coffee, and other coffee in general is pretty weak so I add a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee to it to make it stronger. Same idea as the Crystal Lite.

Band-aid brand has a pretty nice little stick (under 3oz) of blister balm that came in quite handy as well.

I guess we packed fairly usual things. The travel toiletries section at Target turns me into a kid in a candy store. I know, it's weird. But I buy a new shower poofy each time and travel soaps etc...

I like the idea someone else posted about the drink cup lids for popsicles. that is a great idea! I've also used those lids to put ketchup on for dipping fries.

cwestbrook
06-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Mr Bungle, I love your idea of using the drink lids for somewhere to put ketchup. That's always a problem.

onelilspark
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I bring Sham Wows in gallon ziploc bags. If there's been a rainstorm and we want to sit, I can mop it up. Then it goes in the bag so nothing else gets wet :)

ZoZo
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I bring Sham Wows in gallon ziploc bags. If there's been a rainstorm and we want to sit, I can mop it up. Then it goes in the bag so nothing else gets wet :)

I do the same thing using a "swimmer's towel" (purchased at Walmart for about $3. They absorb so much water, they're really handy and don't take up much room!

Stephanator
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I got a toothbrush holder at Walmart in the bathroom shelves section- I use it at home and I bring it for travel,it's a small plastic 4 brush holder,with a small shelf for the t-paste- and it has 2 suction cups on it,stick it on any hotel room mirror,and you have instant clean spot for brushes and paste,it takes up almost no room to pack-I love it! Also love my mesh popup hamper

I brought a suction-cup shower organizer for our trip last time. Those bathrooms at POP lack enough places for all our showering needs.

Some ideas I can add:
room spray
bug spray or wipes
ear plugs and eye covers to sleep better
suction cup hooks to hang things from

I bring ear plugs for myself to wear on certain rides. Dinosaur is LOUD. This would also be helpful for little ones who may sleep through parades/fireworks, etc...

Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I am OCD about ironing but on vacation, I try to be normal. After clothes are in the suitcase, I spray and hang up.

I love Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I always pack it on any vacation.

scarlet_ibis
06-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I bring ear plugs for myself to wear on certain rides. Dinosaur is LOUD. This would also be helpful for little ones who may sleep through parades/fireworks, etc...

I've heard to bring noise-cancelling headphones if your little one is sensitive to fireworks booms.

KJ-52fan
06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I bring several post-it notes to cover the clock face, microwave oven read-out, and the light switches that have the built-in lights on the switchplates. Also the clothespins to keep curtains shut. We like it as dark as possible at night.

I have a combo flashlight/alarm clock we use if we need to get up in the middle of the night. We bring a nightlight for the bathroom because sometimes the ones that are on the hotel hairdryer blink and that makes me crazy. I found a nightlight that doesn't have a bulb because the one time I did bring one with a bulb it had broken during the trip in.

I also bring a 60 watt lightbulb wrapped in bubblewrap and placed inside a large (old style) insulated Disney resort mug - it fits perfectly. I can then swap out the desk lamp bulb so I can actually see and I use the mug for the bedside.

shan136
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I also bring a 60 watt lightbulb wrapped in bubblewrap and placed inside a large (old style) insulated Disney resort mug - it fits perfectly. I can then swap out the desk lamp bulb so I can actually see and I use the mug for the bedside.

Lighting is very important to me too. I haven't stayed in a WDW resort in over 20 years, what is the deal with the lighting that you need to bring your own light bulb?

crissy1974
06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
The last two years I've been taking a folding potty seat for my DD4. It folds in 4's and easily fits in a gallon size ziplock baggie! It's also very lightweight. It keeps her little hiney from falling into the potty! :eek: Plus, we don't have to worry about wiping the toilet! Every night I clean it really good and put it in a new baggie for the next day!

Got some great ideas for our next trip! Thanks to all for sharing!

KJ-52fan
06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Lighting is very important to me too. I haven't stayed in a WDW resort in over 20 years, what is the deal with the lighting that you need to bring your own light bulb?

Honestly, when we stay in the one bedroom at OKW there isn't a problem because there's a big light over the dining table. It's when we stay in regular rooms both at WDW and regular hotels that the lights are sometimes too dim for me. So many hotels are trying to save on utilities that they've gone to very low wattage bulbs. I don't blame them since I imagine that there are plenty of people that leave lights on when they're not in the room (AC and heat, too). I don't always use the light bulb, but I have it if I need it and it doesn't weigh much at all.

Christie74
06-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I saw someone mentioned moleskin for blisters. Just a bit of info to provide to prevent those blisters. Each morning, after the shower and before dressing, spray your feet with antiperspirant/deodorant. Any kind will do---a cheap $1 can of Suave works fine. Spray in between toes, soles, sides, etc. This will prevent your feet from sweating which results in friction and blisters. If you rest in the afternoon, reapply the deo before going back out. We could have potentially not needed to reapply, but why take chances?

My spouse and I ended up with over a dozen blisters on our first trip. WDW does not have any real relief aids for feet. After this tip, not one blister have we had since. Hope it works well for everyone.

Thanks for sharing! I'm prone to blisters at Disney and was just thinking I must find something that helps before our next trip!

matt314hew
06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
We always take water bottles (Liter) that we fill up at the parks instead of buying drinks there.

Also we always take Zip lock bags for our phones, wallets, park tickets, etc. that we don't want to get wet when it rains.

One more item we take is fruit snacks, granola bars, and other food that we can take into the park for snacking during the day and we don't have to by as much food in the park. I think this year, I might buy fruit when I get down there that I can take in with us.

Rekenna
06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi!

Benadryl. They use to make the dosing spoons, but now have the quick dissolve tablets. DS4 always ends up having some type of reaction, no matter how careful we are, to something while there and Benadryl fixes him up in a jiff.

Stroller fans-life savers, for us and them.

Scissors, duct tape, nite lite, nail clippers, neosporin spray, power strip, clear shoe organizer for the over the door for toiletries, envelopes with $ and a thank you for Mousekeeping, sample size laundry detergent, Tide stain pen, bandaids, zip loc bags, wal-mart type plastic bags for dirty diapers/trash, stroller cover for pop-up showers, we buy a bulk of trading pins for the boys-they don't trade but we dole them out everyday so they have something new, I used to buy small toys on clearance at the Disney store before hand but now they are all closed, glow sticks, little bottles of bubbles, I also scrounge the $1 bins at Target and Walmart for little goodies for line waits, parade waits etc. These are the most important things (to me) that may not seem obvious that I thought of.

Have fun!

Naisy68
06-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Getting some great tips here! Subscribing!

mjh8955
06-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Years ago as we were heading out the door for the parks I grabbed my little boy's clean white tube sock and slid it onto my frozen water bottle before putting it in my purse. It kept the water bottle from sweating and getting everything all wet. I do the same thing for a regular cold water bottle and it keeps the water colder longer. Costs NOTHING. Now I have a reason to keep those stray socks, I just toss the sock when I'm done.

crazyredhead
06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
There are some great tips in this thread but this one is my favorite. Thanks everyone!

Years ago as we were heading out the door for the parks I grabbed my little boy's clean white tube sock and slid it onto my frozen water bottle before putting it in my purse. It kept the water bottle from sweating and getting everything all wet. I do the same thing for a regular cold water bottle and it keeps the water colder longer. Costs NOTHING. Now I have a reason to keep those stray socks, I just toss the sock when I'm done.

Whistle
06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I read about a tip to help with germs in the room. You can put the remote to the TV in a baggie, and you won't have to touch it.

Also, while you may not need it, a small eyeglass repair kit (our Dollar Tree sells them) could be a huge lifesaver!

mulbeck1
06-21-2010, 11:58 PM
This is for anyone who is planning on renting a stroller or anyone who has ever lost their rented stroller because the cast members move and organize the mass chaos of strollers while you are on the rides. Bring a big bow and tie it onto your stroller so when you get off the ride and come back to fetch your stroller which is in the middle of the sea of hundreds you will spot yours instantly and save lots of time searching. I always get seasonal type ribbon and make a big bow. The first time I did this my husband said "this is so embarrassing" but he thanked me after the first ride and laughed at everyone else the rest of the week that he saw searching and frustrated for their stroller.

By the way, just wanted to say this is my first post ever!

Going to Disney this December

disneydreamingdebby
06-22-2010, 06:09 AM
This is for anyone who is planning on renting a stroller or anyone who has ever lost their rented stroller because the cast members move and organize the mass chaos of strollers while you are on the rides. Bring a big bow and tie it onto your stroller so when you get off the ride and come back to fetch your stroller which is in the middle of the sea of hundreds you will spot yours instantly and save lots of time searching. I always get seasonal type ribbon and make a big bow. The first time I did this my husband said "this is so embarrassing" but he thanked me after the first ride and laughed at everyone else the rest of the week that he saw searching and frustrated for their stroller.

By the way, just wanted to say this is my first post ever!

Going to Disney this December

Welcome!!!:disrocks:

tinkermom23
06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Also, while you may not need it, a small eyeglass repair kit (our Dollar Tree sells them) could be a huge lifesaver!

Wish we had one! DS10 broke his glasses the first day!! Lost the little screw. We ended up buying super glue and it worked a little bit.

We bring a folding stool. It's lightweight and collapses to less than 2" flat. We kept it in front of one sink for the kids. They could wash hands & brush their teeth without our help. It cost $12 and I keep it in my Disney Box.

luckyBelle
07-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I bring a small pillbox in my day bag with enzymes for me and DH. All those food splurges can really upset the tummy! We get high quality digestive enzymes and take a few with each meal. Miracle.

I also bring a few waterproof Nexcare princess or fairy bandaids and some of those specialized blister bandaids just in case the Blister Block doesn't work!

scarlet_ibis
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I also bring a few waterproof Nexcare princess or fairy bandaids and some of those specialized blister bandaids just in case the Blister Block doesn't work!

Johnson & Johnson now makes Disney licensed Band-Aids. I bought a few boxes and they got packed in my parents' Owners' Locker so we'll have them for future trips, too.

Now, when we go to the parks, I bring a variety of them. It never fails that there is a panicked parent with a child who has skinned a knee or cut a finger or something. The only place in the parks where you can get a Band-Aid is the First Aid station. It makes both parents' and child's day to be able to pull out a cheery Band-Aid to help in the "kiss it and make it better" process. (Especially if they are 30 minutes into their wait to meet Tinkerbell...)

huntforjulia
07-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I've become addicted to the disboards! I'm still learning my way around, but I am Thrilled I found this thread, so much great information. I will definitely be putting several of these tips to use. Have my trusty note pad beside me to write down ALL the things I learn. Lots of creative ideas I never would of thought of. Thank You All for sharing!!:cool1:

resol37
07-14-2010, 04:55 AM
I bring a plug in air freshener. Not because of room stinkiness, but because the scent will continue to remind me of Disney once I get home. I usually buy a wallflower plug in from Bath and Body Works in a scent that I like, but don't use at home (so I'm not already used to it). Besides, it's nice to come back to a fresh smelling room at the end of the day.

A couple of people have mentioned glow sticks. I like getting a pack of glow bracelets. I can usually find a pack of 15 for $1 at Michael's. I originally did this on a trip with my extended family so that my cousin's kids could have them, but I brought more with me on my last trip with my ex-boyfriend. I may be 27, but they still entertain me! And you can hand them out to kids sitting next to you while waiting for a parade or fireworks at night...good conversation starter.

Love the idea of a swimmer's towel!

DisneyPolve
07-14-2010, 07:32 AM
We take a collapsible clothes drying rack that we place in the bathtub for all the swimsuits and towels. Never enough hanging room for the swimsuits to dry and then someone has to put on a slightly wet swimsuit, which is normally me :confused3

Also I take a few carabiners clips from DH rock climbing stuff. I clip them on to my Vera Bradley Hipster, makes it easy to hold sunvisors and hats when you don't need them.

Rekenna
07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
On our last trip I took a large beach towel with us to the parks, this way we have something to sit on if the ground is extra yucky when waiting for a parade, it also keeps the black grit off your legs when sitting on the ground. If we don't use it to sit on it makes a nice blankie for babies as well.

burly
07-19-2010, 10:24 AM
man o man just finished reading and have a handy dandy list started...:thumbsup2

Elisa
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I read that tip a few years ago, and it's great and works well. The other tip that went with it was that the lids for the plastic popcorn containers sold in the park that have a little tab for attaching to the bucket, are perfect for taking with you when you walk your dog. They make a great portable water bowl to pour water from a bottle into the lid. Then it attaches to your leash when you're done!!!

Sagginit
07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
evian water spray travel size. soooo refreshing and way less messy than filling a water fan.

thank you notes- i have ratatouille ones that i brought last year- since i have a food allergy i got lots of custom meals and it was nice to have one handy for the chef in our hotels foodcourt who made me several special meals.

a fleece throw - not to sit on at parades but to keep the peace in our room since im always cold the extra layer allows me to sleep comfortably in the ac.

MAGGIED
07-23-2010, 07:10 AM
you guys are awesome... some great ideas here....

ThunderMTexpert
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
i'm trying to think of what we bring that wasn't already mentioned:

by the time i'm done packing for my disney trip, my "medicine bag" is filled with more misc. items than actual medicine. i've got to say: my DH would be lost without the goldbond's.. er.. "man powder" for chafing! :laughing:

we sometimes pack an empty suitcase along for the ride, anticipating all the gifts we will come home with!

random must haves in the medicine bag: tylenol pm, earplugs, extra contacts (if needed), ear drops for water-sensitive ears, panty liners (esp after you ride a water ride.. you may look into needing this..) cough drops, abreva, zilactin (for ulcers in the mouth), Q-tips, etc..

& febreze is my best friend ever:rotfl:

Lamping3
07-24-2010, 03:43 PM

My DH's glasses lost their screw during our last trip and we got a FREE repair kit at the front desk at All star movies!

heather13
07-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I love this thread!!

Another vote for packing cubes. And when we travel, each person gets their own cube (so it helps limit how much everyone can pack). If we're going to be arriving someplace late in the evening I put everyone's pajamas plus an extra diaper & wipes together into one of the small cubes. Then we're not digging around searching for PJs when we just want to get to bed.

I travel with a clip everywhere I go - like a chip clip only mine is smaller & has a magnet. I've used it to create a bib with a napkin, hold up a sarong, and as a "toy" for the kids when they get bored standing in line or on a plane. I know it has loads of other emergency uses, just haven't run into them yet.

maxiesmom
07-24-2010, 04:42 PM
My last trip I took along a dark shower curtain liner and some clothes pins. I pinned the liner to the curtain divider they have by the bathroom at POR. It helped keep the main part of the room a bit darker, so it was easier for the kiddos to keep sleeping while I got up and started getting ready.

I also take a multi-outlet along so that we can plug in various hair straighteners and blow dryers at the same time. Also works for charing all those cell-phones.

maxiesmom
07-24-2010, 04:47 PM

I have found a "green" version of these wipes that work just as well as the Lysol ones. Green Works by Clorox.:)

sunshineNJ
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I bring a pop up hamper that folds into a tiny thing. I get then @ Bed Bath and Beyond, but they might also have them @ Target. I bring lots of quaters for laundry in case the change machine is broken, which I have seen. Garbage bags are good to bring home any dirty laundry so it dosen't touch the clean clothes. I bring lysol wipes and do the door knobs, tv remote. toilet etc. My son has sensitiver skin so I have Garden Grocer deliver All Free Clear which I know is okay for him. Usually in the machines they have harsher detergents.

Rekenna
07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Just thought of something that was a life saver on a previous trip. Binder clips!

We had a trip where it rained quite a bit and we were very stupid and did not purchase the stroller cover for our new double stroller. We took a poncho and used the binder clips to secure it to the stroller. Binder clips are very handy we used them to keep different things connected to the stroller that we wanted to keep at hand like schedules and such-they are cheap and don't take up a lot of room.

jasmom
08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I also pack the glow bracelets. We used them last year as bravery bracelets. On a ride my daughter thought was too dark or scary she would wear one and would be fine. We also gave a couple out in line a few times to other kids.

Penelope2000
08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
We bring a collapsable closet shelf, but ours is meant for shoes. We also bring about 10 of those small plastic white baskets (you can find for about "3 for $1") The baskets fit perfectly in the show openings. Everybody gets two baskets, (Dd, 13 tomorrow, could use more!:rotfl:) and there is one for other assorted items such as first aid, sewing kit, hair, another for receipts, etc. It really helps keep everything organized, and I like being able to grab my basket and head to the bathroom, or over to the desk/mirror area (with two teens, I never know when the bathroom will be available to brush my hair, etc.) This works better for us than keeping an over the door organizer in the bathroom.

I am sure that this would work for smaller outfits for younger kids (without using the baskets.)

We will also be bringing a pressure curtain rod and clip rings/sheet for our room at the Poly, as there is no divider between the sink area and the toilet area. I am actually a little surprised at that. When we stayed at the POR, we brought a shower curtain and those stick on/easy take off hooks to keep the sink area private - that worked great, but I think that there is now a curtain in that opening (they caught on!)

I bring peppermint foot lotion for the end of the day. Yum!

We will bring a small timer for the shower to help limit time spent (2 teens and Dh and I sharing 1 bathroom!)

We are bringing some Via, that Starbucks instant coffee, to add to our Nescafe. We like strong coffee, and really do not like the Nescafe.

Photocopies of fronts and backs of any Disney Gift Cards and Credit Cards that we bring. Anything important ID wise that I carry with me from the house, I will photocopy. (Backs have phone numbers and other important numbers.) Keep these in the safe.

An extra large plastic bag (Dollar Store has these) to carry with me to put my backpack in when we ride a wet ride (Kali River Rapids, etc.)

I am considering bringing binoculars.

Prior to Leaving, Other things that are helpful:

My Mil recently was in a car crash, and thankfully she is ok, but I was impressed that she carried with her in her pocket book a notebook with exactly what medications she takes/recent surgeries, her drugstore information, (prescription numbers) etc. This was invaluable to the doctors. Her medications were not in her handbag, they were in the back of the car, which had been towed - since she had the information, and I remembered to ask about them, the doctors at the hospital were able to give her prescriptions of her medications prior to sending her home with us, and since she is on a number of medications, and she was somewhat stunned, this really, really helped. There are a few medications in my family, and I will be copying down all the information into my little book and carrying it with me in the parks. Just in case.

Also important, we make sure that the person taking care of our dog has our dog's rabies certificate nearby where the sitter can see it, and we point it out to him. This has never been an issue, our dog is a sweetie pie, but you never know. We also fill out a small form approving how much we will pay for an emergency vet appointment without our knowing anything, prior to us having a conversation with our dog sitter/vet. This is so that they don't worry, and we know our dog will be taken care of immediately. I had a bad situation once pet-sitting someone's pet hamster, and I don't want to put anyone in a similar situation. The amount stated is pretty generous, but I would want to be part of a conversation about his health anyway, before major decisions were made.

Doing those last items may never be important, but they will give me peace of mind.

FriendofTramp
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
What are the binoculars for? I've seen it recommended before but didn't know where/why I would need them.

RockAndRollBallerina
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I always pack a power strip for the hotel room so I dont have to dig around for the other outlets in the room.

Penelope2000
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Regarding binoculars - I thought it would be great to see some things up close, like the animals or the Tree of Life in AK - Or parts of the castle at MK.

Penelope2000

Chelley00
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
We take a Glade Sense & Spray eveywhere we go. I don't like the ones that plug in, so this works well for us. It sprays whenever anyone walks into the bathroom so they don't forget :) Sometimes I put one in the room too, and when we walk in, it sprays and the room is all fresh again

TannersRfans
08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
this may have already been mentioned, but there are too many posts to read them all first! lol

I'm new here and overwhelmed with all the info!!

here's my idea - we bring two big strong bungie cords to bungie our backpack and shopping bags to our rental stroller. the downfall is a tipping stroller when your child gets out - so be careful and hold onto it, or take your stuff off first, then let your child hop out!

scarlet_ibis
08-02-2010, 09:24 PM
here's my idea - we bring two big strong bungie cords to bungie our backpack and shopping bags to our rental stroller. the downfall is a tipping stroller when your child gets out - so be careful and hold onto it, or take your stuff off first, then let your child hop out!

Ooh! I know the answer to this one! You can buy those velcro wrist/ankle weights to put around the bars above the front wheels of your stroller to keep it from tipping. The downside is that you would then make your lightweight, portable stroller that much heavier to lug onto the bus...

osubugbabe
08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Epsom salts are great to soothe tired feet. Also, a flash llight to inspect your room for bed bugs!

pooh2001
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Regarding binoculars - I thought it would be great to see some things up close, like the animals or the Tree of Life in AK - Or parts of the castle at MK.

Penelope2000

We have used them while at CR to see MK better from our balcony.
We also used them to see AK from our balcony at the Dolphin.

Never know what you can see from your sindow/balcony.

NO window or people peeking allowed.

FriendofTramp
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tips about binoculars...sounds like a good idea!

sargenca
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I also pack the glow bracelets. We used them last year as bravery bracelets. On a ride my daughter thought was too dark or scary she would wear one and would be fine. We also gave a couple out in line a few times to other kids.

This is a neat tip!! My daughter is 4 and this is her first trip to Disney. I've been trying to come up with something for the dark rides!

We also take extra pillow cases to put over the hotel pillow case. I like having that extra layer between me and the hotel pillow. I figured this out after realizing that my nose is usually stuffy after spending the night in a hotel. If I forget my extra pillow case, I'll use a clean t-shirt and just lay it on top of the pillow.

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/p07jurdbimlop3nv.png (http://distickers.com/ticker/)

Jitzy
08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
We always purchase the Resort Mugs. The problem is that there are 4 people in our family and only 3 colors of the lids. Last time we went, I brought along a blue lid from a previous years mug. I had our mugs marked and the lid colors sorted, so no one was grabbing someone else's mug. We use them a lot! Diet Coke tastes best when it is carbonated!!!!

rbdiaz
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
The shoe rack idea is a big one. Did it for the first time on a Disney Cruise, now do it all the time.

TannersRfans
08-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Ooh! I know the answer to this one! You can buy those velcro wrist/ankle weights to put around the bars above the front wheels of your stroller to keep it from tipping. The downside is that you would then make your lightweight, portable stroller that much heavier to lug onto the bus...

that's a great solution. we always rent a stroller - but we may skip it this year. my son is 9 so he's certainly big enough to walk around, but he's a cancer survivor (5 years off treatment in october and we're celebrating in DISNEY) and he tires more quickly than then average 9 year old. we just can't decide if we want the stroller or not. we have to get the double, too!

glassslippergirl
08-10-2010, 01:14 AM
I know it is not exactly "green," but we carry regular McDonalds straws when we go to Animal Kingdom. The paper straws-- only kind available in AK-- are impossible to drink through. Don't worry. We are very careful with the plastic straws and always dispose of them properly so they do not harm the animals.

maxiesmom
08-10-2010, 04:01 AM
I know it is not exactly "green," but we carry regular McDonalds straws when we go to Animal Kingdom. The paper straws-- only kind available in AK-- are impossible to drink through. Don't worry. We are very careful with the plastic straws and always dispose of them properly so they do not harm the animals.

I think that is a horrible "tip". While your family may be very careful, there are others who would not be. Why encourage them to do what you do, when it can cause a huge problems for the animals at Animal Kingdom?:sad2:

To me, that is like saying you sneak glass jars into the parks. It can cause injury to others, and shouldn't be done. Honestly, if you can't follow the rules of the park, you shouldn't go. I don't think it would be so hard for your family to either use the straws provided or to just not use a straw.

blessedmom4
08-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Clothes Pins~ They are wonderful to hold curtains closed in hotel rooms and have come in handy on many occasions for unexpected reasons (such as hanging wet clothes, keeping an open bag of chips, etc. closed).

A three pronged power adapter (has three outlets) which expands a normal outlet to four places to plug things and is not as heavy as a surge protector.

A nightlight, hotel rooms can be dark (I actually carry several).

Air Freshener :laughing:

Crazy Glue~ fixes everything.

Safety Pins, Emory boards, elastic hair bands (works as rubber bands as well). UNO cards, Ziploc bags in assorted sizes.

These are just a few of the things I always keep packed in my overnight bag.

I also pack a bag of medicine with Tylenol, ibuprofen, beano, acid reducer, cold meds, polysporin, Band-Aids, etc, prescription meds. Medical notebook with list of doctors/pharmacies (actually has their business cards with all of thier info), medication names, dosages; important dates (surgeries, procedures), etc., extra insurance cards.

BealsRwe
08-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Purex all-in-one sheets are great! We also bring Dawn dish detergent pads...we like to wash our reuseable mugs every day, and the Dawn dish detergent pads have dish soap, but are lightweight and not messy.

Naisy68
08-11-2010, 11:05 AM
These are all awesome ideas!

Mine is a collapsable cloth box from the dollar store. I put it on the table closest to the door for any little items that don't have their own place. I toss the door keys, change, etc... I also use them by the sink and beds.

GREAT idea!! Always have clutter on the table and this would at least make my clutter look a little better.

grafxgirl
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Night lights so we can see where we are walking at night.
Zip-lock storage bags for things like snacks or wet items.
Band-aids because someone in the family always needs one for one reason or another.

ILoveMyGirls
08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
great thread. i've copied and pasted several things including the men's gold bond for man rashes :) lol

TaraCavin
08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Although I am a super light packer, I love the thought of home smelling like well home.

ILoveMyGirls
08-13-2010, 06:22 PM
so far, as a result of this thread, i've bought the following for our upcoming trip.

-Shout Wipes
-Speedo swim towels, one for each of us.
-Purex Complete 3 in 1, Pure and Clean (laundry)
-Purex Complete 3 in 1 Refill, Pure and Clean
-Bodyglide Chafing Stick (to help with blisters)
-Dr. Scholl's Blister Defense Anti-Friction Stick (to help with blisters)
-Downy Wrinkle Releaser, Travel Size Light Fresh Scent
-Nexcare Active Waterproof Blister Pads

Will also take items I had not thought of:

-Ziplock bags
-Plastic soda cup tops to hold ice creme drips for the mickey ice creams. not going to steal them, will wash the ones we get now and between when we go on the trip.
-Piece of a plastic tablecloth for my kiddos to sit on during the parade
-Big bow to put on my ECV so I can find it easily if it gets moved.
-Light sticks for my kiddos.

Thanks all.

ILoveMyGirls
08-13-2010, 06:32 PM
you should not do things to break rules and potentially harm these animals just out of convenience for yourself.

CityGirlLost
08-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the paper straws.

I print a sheet of small labels that say "If lost, please call ..." with my cell number. I stick one on the back of each of my kids' shirts in the morning before we leave.

I stick them on our cameras and backpacks and water bottles.

Essentially, everything.

ILoveMyGirls
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
that's a good idea about the labels. have you lost anything and had it returned?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the paper straws.

I print a sheet of small labels that say "If lost, please call ..." with my cell number. I stick one on the back of each of my kids' shirts in the morning before we leave.

I stick them on our cameras and backpacks and water bottles.

Essentially, everything.

cuches
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Got this idea from another thread but I am using it for our trip this October! I am a BIG water drinker, especially at night....always have water on my nightstand and by morning it is always empty, I must drink all night long in my sleep. I used to send DH every night to the vending machine for my water fix (too much $$$) I thought about having a case of water shipped to our room but never did it because it would also be kind of pricey. This other DISer said she brings the same small Britta water filter pitcher every trip for her water fix. She puts t-shirts inside it to save room in the luggage. STEALING this idea makes me smile :)

Tina:flower3:

cuches
08-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Paper straws don't bother us and I don't like the idea of bending this rule because the animals are at risk of being hurt. I even go as far as cutting up the plastic soda can holders as to not harm some innocent animal from getting its head stuck in it (saw this happen once and left me stunned)

Not really sure if you were encouraging the use of the plastic straws at AK :confused3 but you can get slammed by the moderators of these groups for suggesting breaking the rules at WDW.

Tina

ChelleMouse
08-14-2010, 01:40 AM
-Swimmers Ear drops
-Garlic Mullein drops in case anyone's ears start hurting - perfect way to keep an ear infection away
- Boiron Arnicare Cream - works like a dream for pain - including sunburn
- Boiron Bitecare Gel - stops itching from bug bites
- Vitamin C and/or magnesium for those who tend to get constipated when away from home
- Capsules of Olive leaf extract should anyone catch a bug/virus
- Digestive enzymes to help digest eating way too much

Love the ideas I picked up in this thread! Thanks!!

Disney Mommy 3
08-15-2010, 12:17 AM
The last two years I've been taking a folding potty seat for my DD4. It folds in 4's and easily fits in a gallon size ziplock baggie! It's also very lightweight. It keeps her little hiney from falling into the potty! :eek: Plus, we don't have to worry about wiping the toilet! Every night I clean it really good and put it in a new baggie for the next day!

Got some great ideas for our next trip! Thanks to all for sharing!

AWW!! I had one for my kiddos too! I brought it everywhere..put it in a large ziplock and stuck it in the diaper bag...forgot about it till you mentioned it!!

Love the ideas!!! I do the pop up hamper, over the door organizer, tiny ALL detergents (we have skin sensitivity to detergents), clothespins, Ziplocks for EVERYTHING...
I put our toothbrushes in one of the cups that are on the counter....I have a box of stuff that I put stuff in before it runs out...for example, if a tube of toothpaste, or a bottle of shampoo is almost out, but you know it's got a week or 2 left in it,...it goes in the Disney box. Then about a week before we leave, all my toiletries and snax go in a box that i ship to our resort. When we finish the product off, I toss it and don't have to worry about repacking for the journey home! We fly, so I try to keep it to clothes in the suitcases. I am getting some of the packing cubes for our next trip--I am getting the folder/sleeve for dh. He packs a ridiculous amount of stuff and I am hoping to get him more organized! Thanks again OP for starting this thread!!!

carone0318
08-15-2010, 09:34 AM
We bring carabiner clips, 2 for each of us. We all carry our own backpacks and we clip a clip to each strap and clip a flip flop to each clip, so when it starts to rain, we change into the flip flops and put our sneakers & socks into the bag until the rain stops.

I bring all different color sharpies for autographs, except for the color green. For some reason that is the only color that they can not get off of the costumes.

When my kids were young & in a stroller, I would bring safety pins and a receiving blanket or towel. I would pin the blanket to the shade of the stroller. When the baby/child fell asleep, I would put the shade up and pull the blanket down over the bar/table to keep the sun out. While they were sleeping I would clip a fan to the stroller and have it blowing on them while they slept. It worked perfectly.

If you are planning on getting a henna tattoo, bring a small jar of Vasoline because you need to put the Vasoline on the tattoo while you are showering or swimming, it's not supposed to get wet. When we did it, I couldn't find any Vasoline on property to buy, so I ended up using triple antibiotic ointment cause it was gel-like.

brewhome
08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
We were at Disney in February and here are a few things that worked for us. Some have been mentioned before.

- My boys are 9 and 7. Before we left, I made up some labels on my computer with my and my husband's cell phone numbers on them, and then each day I stuck one label inside each of my boys' shoes. They knew they were there, but no one else saw an "if lost, contact" bracelet or anything else that would be embarrassing to an older kid. It gave them (and ME!) peace of mind to know that Mom and Dad's cell numbers were right on them at all times in case they got separated from us. I also made sure they knew that if they got lost, they should immediately find the nearest cast member to help them. It made them feel better to know that they could go to anyone with a Disney name tag for help.

- We also brought glow necklaces from the dollar store. The kids put them around their stuffed animals' necks at bedtime - a bit of a nightlight without being too bright.

- I love, love, LOVE ziploc bags for the camera, extra batteries, cell phones, etc. etc. We were there in a soaking rain one night, and our backpack was drenched - but the stuff inside was safe because of the ziplocs. You can use these for anything! Throw a few baby wipes in one for a refresher in the hot weather or for sticky ice cream fingers and faces. I also packed one with band-aids, ibuprofen, a few Tums, a small tube of sunscreen, tissues, Chapstick, etc. to take to the parks with us. It's much easier to grab one ziploc out of the backpack instead of digging around in a big bag for a little Chapstick.

- Pre-prepared envelopes for Mousekeeping. I prepped an envelope for each day with the tip and a quick thank you written on the outside of it, and left it by the sink each day before heading to the parks. It was simple to grab one each day and I didn't have to scrounge around for the tip money. We got some really nice towel animals for doing so.

- Disney gift cards for each kid (one from Santa and one from their grandparents). They knew how much money they could spend - once it was gone, it was gone - and I let them spend it as they wished. I told them I would buy them each one t-shirt, one toy, and one pin with my money, but the rest was up to them. That way, we had no fights about one getting more than the other, etc. etc., and I spent a set amount on each - no going overboard.

We're getting ready to go back, and here are a few things I will take next time:

- Coffee! Disney coffee stinks - plain and simple. I'll be taking a can of Tim Horton's with us for the mornings in the hotel. It will make my hubby a much happier camper.

- Collapsible water bottles. We carried regular ones with us last trip, but I really like the idea of the collapsible ones. Check out www.vapur.us. You can fill these, stick them in the freezer, and then when they're empty, roll them up to save space (and the environment, while you're at it!). I just ordered them so I'm not sure yet, but I have a feeling they won't sweat much, either.

- A deck of cards will keep the kids busy while waiting for the parades to start - they love to play War.

- Flip flops and a swimmers towel for water rides - whoever listed those on here - brilliant!! No sloshy shoes all day and a quick way to dry off.

dduckfan1
08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Love the idea of packing a canvas duffel bag for souvenirs! :thumbsup2 I'll definitely use that idea. Tide on the go pens also are a must!!

LadybugMomma
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Love the ideas. Can anyone tell me if the cubes are better than the space saver compression bags? We use the compression bags all the time but I am just wondering if the cubes would be better.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I too have started my list for our October trip.

Disney Mommy 3
08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Love the ideas. Can anyone tell me if the cubes are better than the space saver compression bags? We use the compression bags all the time but I am just wondering if the cubes would be better.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I too have started my list for our October trip.

I have done the bags...I would assume the cubes and envelope/folder things are better....haven't used them yet,but that's what I will be getting for our next trip!

heather13
08-16-2010, 07:03 AM

It really depends what you're packing. The compression bags are great for sweaters, ski gear, really anything that takes up a lot of space but could take up less without air. The packing cubes don't remove any air - in fact they take up a nominal amount of more space I think just because you're packing extra fabric. But they're fantastic for organization. If your goal is organization the cubes are best (I put my girls' clothes in with mine, so the cubes help sort it). If your goal is stuffing more items into a bag the compression bags are best (DH loves these even for t-shirts and is convinced he can put his stuff into a smaller bag as a result). Compression bags can also be used to organize stuff but I don't think they fit as much as the cubes because they're not meant to be overstuffed.

Sorry so long - HTH!

livvylivvie
08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Night light - good idea....(I cheated last time and left the light on in the bathroom and then just left the door open a crack......when I woke up in the night at least I knew what direction to head in ;)...

and of course, I take a few bags of King Cole Tea - can't get that down there but if you're from Atlantic Canada, you understand why:)

Hey!!! From one Canadian to another, I LOVE KING COLE TEA!!!!

livvylivvie
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
My Enjo Cloths!!!
I couldn't go without them! They Clean 6 times better then any chemical cleaner and you use JUST water!! I go over any surface that needs it! and NO Chemicals are used! and the clothes remove 99.99999% of Bacteria!!! :D (I just wash my cloth in the sink after our day at the parks and they are ready to go for the next day) My family has been chemical free for about 3 years, and I try to keep it that way even while on Vacation. My 4 year old has many allergies, (skin and food) and I can't believe the difference Enjo has made!
:)
If your curious about this product Google it!! It's great!!

mousescrapper
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
popcorn::

have to come back and read more....

mavdav
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
We are AP so I have a running list of what we pack for Disney. Disclaimer, we drive and we stay in POP

FEBREEZE - they sell a small portable size. Great for spraying down those sweaty clothes and smelly sneakers at the end of the day.

SHARPIE - the click kind, with a retractable tip. that way, you don't have to keep track of a top when getting autographs.

Over the door shoe holder - we use it for sunscreen, lotions, hairbrushes, etc. anything that is usually kept on the bathroom sink.

Hanging collapsible shelf - I got it at Walmart and hang all my kids clothes on it. They are 6 and 4, so their clothes are small. I also leave one shelf empty for them for their clothes that we pick out for the next day.

We pick out what pins we are going to trade the night before, put them on the lanyards, so they are ready to roll in the morning. We have lost many of pins, so now we only let the boys wear pins they want to trade and 1 or 2 that they like.

ZIPLOC bags - We use them to pack our snacks and to pack our frozen water bottles and juice boxes. That way nothing gets wet inside the backpack.

Booklight - I have small children so after they go to bed, I like to read a little bit at night.

Clothespin - for hanging wet clothes in the shower and for closing the curtain at night so the early morning sun doesn't creep in!

Light up Mickey and Buzz-we bought the boys light up buzz and Mickey almost 4 years ago and all i do is put in new batteries and they bring them to Disney every time! Its a toy that stays in the Disney bin.

GREAT IDEAS DIS friends!!! Keep them coming. I'm always learning something new! aka - backpack cooleR!

It'sJustPoints
08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
We're packed.. ready to go.. waiting for our ride to the airport. I sat down to scan the boards one last time and stumbled upon this thread... and I jsut ran out to the store to get a powerstrip:woohoo:!! Thank you!!!

OK.. now I am ready to go...

Disney Mommy 3
08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
We're packed.. ready to go.. waiting for our ride to the airport. I sat down to scan the boards one last time and stumbled upon this thread... and I jsut ran out to the store to get a powerstrip:woohoo:!! Thank you!!!

OK.. now I am ready to go...

You are a true Diser!!! LOL Have an awesome trip!!

mickeygirl14
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
thanks everyone for the great tips! i've got two small notebook sheets full, front and back...i'm sure my DH is going to love me when he's packing the van. :goodvibes

this is my first posting - i've just discovered DIS in the past week preparing for our trip in september. there's a lot of great info here - thanks!

WAHkoMom
08-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I am so glad I found this thread!! I've added several items to my packing list: shout wipes, power strip, over the door shoe holder (worked great on the Disney cruise!), crystal lite single servings, soft-sided cooler, glow-bracelets, clear ID badge holder with clips, caribiner clip to attach to purse (love that idea for hats!).

I have been thinking hard for something unusual that we bring, but anything that might qualify has already been mentioned!

Keep 'em coming!!! :wizard:

ILoveMyGirls
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I had no clue there were sharpies that clicked.

Was going to let the girls take all of their pins but not since I read this, thanks.

SHARPIE - the click kind, with a retractable tip. that way, you don't have to keep track of a top when getting autographs.

We pick out what pins we are going to trade the night before, put them on the lanyards, so they are ready to roll in the morning. We have lost many of pins, so now we only let the boys wear pins they want to trade and 1 or 2 that they like.

Emsabems
08-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Disposable trash bags - they are marketed for cleaning up dog poop or diapers. They come 100 for $1 and are small but always useful - can save a bit on ziplocs by using these when a waterproof seal isn't needed.

Instead of bringing autograph books I bought both the boys (3 & 5yrs) white bucket hats. We travel with sharpies and they are getting a nice autograph collection! (Good tip from pp about no green sharpies - thanks!)

Some great ideas in here! Thanks to all the posters!

:)
EmsaBems

ILoveMyGirls
08-18-2010, 05:06 AM
i am thinking about doing this, let me know your thoughts. instead of the misters that are out there as i can't find one with good reviews, i'm thinking of freezing water bottles, wetting a couple of wash cloths with cold water and squeezing them out, to carry in a zip lock bag with one frozen water bottle to keep them cold. this might be a good way to cool off while walking around the park. if my husband or kiddos get too hot, they can take out their own wash cloth and refresh their faces/neck with it to cool down. we are staying in a condo so we will have a freezer.

thoughts?

noahdove
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Wow!!! I can't believe what things I have missed:) I now have another list going..thank you all:)

free2div
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
We carry water or soda koozies with clips to clip on our belt...we drive so we bring our Kuerig coffee maker and all the coffee fixins..cups with tops to take with us. also a cooler....cargo pants or shorts are a must for us..cant imagine what you can get in those pockets. dollar store ponchos 2 in a pack for 1.00. of course ziploc bags..extra batteries...snacks like granola bars...we have the belt type carriers for our cameras and my husbands glucose meter..fits perfectly in one and he can wear it on his belt. sometimes a fanny pack instead of a purse.....and of course a mini medicine cabinet

mavdav
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I had no clue there were sharpies that clicked.

Was going to let the girls take all of their pins but not since I read this, thanks.

So glad I could help! I buy the Sharpies at office supply stores, craft stores and sometimes I can find them at Walmart and Target. Good time to find them now since school supplies are on sale!

I just recently bought a "shadowbox" type frame with a pincushion type back...I display all our favorite pins with a photo in the background and they hang upstairs in the playroom. This way we have something to do with the fun pins we have collected!

ILoveMyGirls
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
since i am handicapped i bought them online, probably pricey but they are on their way for our upcoming trip!!!!

i love your idea for the pins too.

So glad I could help! I buy the Sharpies at office supply stores, craft stores and sometimes I can find them at Walmart and Target. Good time to find them now since school supplies are on sale!

I just recently bought a "shadowbox" type frame with a pincushion type back...I display all our favorite pins with a photo in the background and they hang upstairs in the playroom. This way we have something to do with the fun pins we have collected!

ilovepete
08-19-2010, 08:44 PM
-Swimmers Ear drops
-Garlic Mullein drops in case anyone's ears start hurting - perfect way to keep an ear infection away
- Boiron Arnicare Cream - works like a dream for pain - including sunburn
- Boiron Bitecare Gel - stops itching from bug bites
- Vitamin C and/or magnesium for those who tend to get constipated when away from home
- Capsules of Olive leaf extract should anyone catch a bug/virus
- Digestive enzymes to help digest eating way too much

Love the ideas I picked up in this thread! Thanks!!

A girl after my own heart!! :rotfl: I thought I was the only one who brought all of these "crunchy" things!! :)

ILoveMyGirls
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
this is the best forum thread :)

ChelleMouse
08-20-2010, 07:58 AM
A girl after my own heart!! :rotfl: I thought I was the only one who brought all of these "crunchy" things!! :)

Thanks! :) When the crunchy stuff works, it works!

msp2mco
08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
So many good ideas are listed here!

I always bring the extra power cord.

We usually are in a DVC villa, so I bring a sea salt grinder and pepper grinder with me. I've also been known to bring extra ice cube trays, but my DH made fun of me, so I stopped doing that.

giggygirl
08-24-2010, 02:23 AM
This is the best thread I've read on the DIS boards!

I want to add a couple things that I hope will be useful for someone.

I always pack a small scissors and a little swiss army knife. The scissors has especially come in handy on every trip we've done.

Because we have to fly across the pacific and the weight restrictions on the luggage are so strict, we get to the post office near Disney and get a few flat rate boxes. We've used those boxes to mail home among other things, bags of trail mix that we buy at Trader Joe's and Bath and Body Works products.

We always pack a Sharpie and will take the advice on the boards, of having it with us in Disney for autographs. I also bring my own japanese style nylon wash cloth and for the kids a small bath puffy. We love the way they foam up and leave us feeling that much cleaner.

One last thing, I have an added use for the wipies that we bring along... I use them to remove eye makeup! (one less beauty product to pack!)

That's it... love this thread, looking forward to more great ideas! :yay:

DisneyLindsay
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I will be packing my lavendar essential oil, to put on the mattresses, pillows and around the carpet in the corners of the room. (you only need a drop or 2 in each corner) I am terrified of bed bugs and if they are present they will not come near where the lavendar essential oil is.

I also love the packing cubes, they give me lots more room in the suitcase and keep things nice and neatly organized. I also save the plastic holders of bed sheets and pillow cases (you know the zip up kind) and I use them to pack other essential items in (one pack of little swimmers, one for diapers, one for a medicine bag.
I also pack shampoo and conditioner and body wash in their own ziplock baggies, so that if they leak they will not get on anything else in the suitcase.

I noticed that someone on here spoke about the misting water bottle fans. We bought one in the parks last year and it is still going strong, we replaced the batteries and we will definitely be bringing it with us on this trip. I also will be bringing some King cole tea with us on this trip also!!

maxiesmom
08-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I will be packing my lavendar essential oil, to put on the mattresses, pillows and around the carpet in the corners of the room. (you only need a drop or 2 in each corner) I am terrified of bed bugs and if they are present they will not come near where the lavendar essential oil is.

Please don't! I know with my asthma if I rented the room after you were in it and had put any scented oil on the bedding, I would be miserable. Spending my whole vacation sucking on my inhalor, or worse, would be no fun!

Please have a little consideration for those who will be in the room after you. You should never spread or sprinkle anything scented around the room or in the bedding.

Naisy68
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Please don't! I know with my asthma if I rented the room after you were in it and had put any scented oil on the bedding, I would be miserable. Spending my whole vacation sucking on my inhalor, or worse, would be no fun!

Please have a little consideration for those who will be in the room after you. You should never spread or sprinkle anything scented around the room or in the bedding.

I too am allergic to certain scents, lavendar being one of them I would also have to switch rooms if it were too strong. HOWEVER, I do appreciate the idea for trying to keep the creepy crawlies at bay.

BelleRocks
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
What are "swimmers towels"? I've never seen them. Are they the tiny towels that expand???

ILoveMyGirls
08-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I bought mine from Amazon.com. I bought the Speedo ones based on the bad reviews on the less expensive brand. They are small and soak up a lot of water/sweat. Good to carry in a purse or backpack. I bought four, one for each of us.

What are "swimmers towels"? I've never seen them. Are they the tiny towels that expand???

Nezzaa
09-03-2010, 01:27 PM
i love this thread!

mytwinklestar
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I use address labels and place these on our cameras, inside our cells phones, video camera, and any other items that if lost, could be easily returned if our contact information is available. I don't know if anyone mentioned this before or not but it might help someone else recover a lost item. :goodvibes

Lees3rwe
09-04-2010, 03:35 PM

I completely agree with this... I have asthma too and that would probably kill me.

dopeydiva
09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
WOW!!! This thread is simply AMAZING!! I just finished reading each and every post. My list has grown again. I kept adding things to my list in a word document as I found it here and thought the lavendar oil sounded like a great idea BUT then I read the subsequent posts indicating that would really affect some of you. Is that true of fabreeze as well (it's already packed ) I wouldn't want to do something to screw up somebody's vacation.

My little tip for autographs especially if you are a scrapper OR if you want to put something together when you get home. I bring a pad or two of cardstock pads the small 3x3 or 4x6. They are in assorted colors and I have the characters autograph a color that coordinates with their costume. THEN when we get home, we put the autographed color cardstock piece on the layout with a photo of my little guys with the character. Probably for the really anal at heart, but gosh, it looks sooo pretty ;)

Much appreciation to all of you. The hubby keeps asking why I keep tossing stuff in a bag. His last question was 'what the hell is moleskin?' How much 'ya wanna bet he uses it ;)

We leave Tuesday.
Stay well,
AnnMarie

rene30
09-05-2010, 09:33 PM
We can't go any where that my husband and son will be walking a lot without "body glide" an anti-chafing stick. It helps prevent a rash you may get on your inner thighs. It looks like a deodorant stick, runners use them a lot. You can get them at most sports stores. My husband wouldn't even think about going to WDW without it!

KY*Figment
09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
I buy numerous ponchos at Wal-mart so at the end of the day instead of lugging back the expensive WDW we toss them. It's cheaper to buy each person one for every day of a 6 night trip than to buy a WDW for a family of 4. If your kids are short/ young it's still cheaper to my the kids size than to pay for WDW.

I buy the small travel kleenex w/ enough for a package a day. Wet wipes in the soft pack. Chap stick, small bottles of hand santitizers, small bottles of sunscreen, Tide Pen, kids change of clothes in zip lock bags, paper towels folded up in zip lock bag, frozen bottles of water, peanut packets for protein, and juice bags. Also, a empty plastic Kroger/ Wal-mart bag.

My husband use to say I packed too much in the backpack to go to the parks. He told me he would never say this again after our last trip. My oldest (8yo) vomited all over herself and me on the bus. We were on one of the split level busses. A man, wife, and a couple of kids were on the upper level. Two women were sitting close by us. I gave my husband the backpack and instructed him on what to get out. I wiped off the bulk of the vomit w/ paper towels. I then somewhat blocked her w/ my body to change her clothes all the way down to panties. She felt too bad to be embarrassed. I then got her changed. Wiped her down w/ wet wipes and as much as I could do of myself. I put her clothes in the zip lock bag that we took the fresh clothes out of. I then wiped the bus seats and some of the floor. By the time we got off I had everything pretty much cleaned up but wet areas on the seats and floor. I put all of the trash in the plastic Kroger/ Wal-mart bag. When we got off I explained every where she had vomited I had covered with kleenex. The others on the bus voiced how impressed they were w/ how well prepared we were. I also instructed everyone to get off at the back door. Also, from the time she vomited until we got off we kept trying to tell the bus driver but he never acknowledged us. So, when we got off the bus I explained to him what was done so he closed the bus and was going to take it to be cleaned. I went to the room and showered. When she felt better I had her shower. Prior to this we had never had one of my children vomit on the bus butmy over packing paid off. Also, when at the parks security goes through our bag I have had more than one compliment of using clear bag and being organized because I don't take much time in the line.

Lumiere Lover
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
A Toaster! Even though we are on the meal plan, we eat breakfast in the room. I hate to miss morning park hours because we are eating.

I buy a toaster from Wal-Mart ($7), and bring it down. We also bring down bagels, cream cheese, and english muffins for breakfast (we can get jelly at the resort). When it's time to leave, I have a toaster box to fill if we have have fragile items, and there is room in the luggage because the food/toaster/paper plates are gone.

:banana:

maxiesmom
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
A Toaster! Even though we are on the meal plan, we eat breakfast in the room. I hate to miss morning park hours because we are eating.

I buy a toaster from Wal-Mart ($7), and bring it down. We also bring down bagels, cream cheese, and english muffins for breakfast (we can get jelly at the resort). When it's time to leave, I have a toaster box to fill if we have have fragile items, and there is room in the luggage because the food/toaster/paper plates are gone.

:banana:

You are actually not supposed to have a toaster in your room. Disney doesn't want any cooking going on in your room, unless you have a kitchenette. They do provide toasters in the food court that all guests are free to use.

I also don't think your neighbors appreciate any cooking smells that travel into their rooms via the air duct system.

ILoveMyGirls
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
this is one of the reasons we like to rent a condo off-site as they have a full kitchen to use.

You are actually not supposed to have a toaster in your room. Disney doesn't want any cooking going on in your room, unless you have a kitchenette. They do provide toasters in the food court that all guests are free to use.

I also don't think your neighbors appreciate any cooking smells that travel into their rooms via the air duct system.

kaetra
09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I have to admit I would not be offended by a fleeting smell of toast, or pop tarts, or even an onion bagel, or practically anything you could put in a toaster.

I guess one of those new hot dog toasters has offensive potential. (When I saw those I thought - Eeew, where does the hot dog grease go? *shudders*)

Of course there is the fire hazard factor and the rule breaking breaking factor, but I actually trust that most people have the ability to operate a toaster safely. Let's just say that I personally wouldn't turn down a slice of toast from any of my Disney neighbors! :)

Disclaimer - I have never taken a toaster to a hotel before and I don't advocate breaking rules.

Halle
09-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Great thread, when I told DH about it he said tell them to bring a router...I informed him that a fellow Dis'er had already recommended that. He actually ordered ours online while we were at the GC last September, he'd die without it. My tip that I don't think has been mentioned is that I always bring Aluminum foil, not the whole roll just a big piece.

Tink6666
09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the power cord! :) Good idea about the McDonald's thing, but we use the toothbrush covers.

We bring the over the door shoe racks with pockets. Keeps everything neat and organized in the room.

Find ourselves packing extra quarters and pennies for laundry and penny presses. Apparently we only do laundry while at Disney lol. This year we're gonna try the Purex all in one sheets.

We do the laundry at WDW using the purex 3 in ones and they work great. We are DVC members so we tend to pack very light and do laundry once a day.:laundy:

don't forget to copy your WDW tickets in case they are lost. Guest services or the ticket center may be able to help if you kept a copy of the tickets. We learned this in June when our waterpark tickets curled up after getting wet.

Granfan
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Got this idea from another thread but I am using it for our trip this October! I am a BIG water drinker, especially at night....always have water on my nightstand and by morning it is always empty, I must drink all night long in my sleep. I used to send DH every night to the vending machine for my water fix (too much $$$) I thought about having a case of water shipped to our room but never did it because it would also be kind of pricey. This other DISer said she brings the same small Britta water filter pitcher every trip for her water fix. She puts t-shirts inside it to save room in the luggage. STEALING this idea makes me smile :)

Tina:flower3:

I'm sure you probably have looked into this, but I'm just concerned about why you need so much water. My mother had excessive thirst before she found out she was a diabetic and I believe it can also be related to kidney function as well. Not meant to worry you, but you never know what bit of info might help someone.

Lumiere Lover
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
We always bring a toaster on our trips, and have never been told otherwise by Disney. I can't see taking my food into their food court, and using their machines to cook it.

As long as the toaster is cool before we leave, then I feel there isn't a problem.

I am sensitive to smells, and unless the toast in burning, I really don't think my Disney neighbors would be able to smell my toast.

:love:

Going down in 11 days, and taking my toaster with me.

Also-I thought the thread with the Nemo fridge had a toaster and I thought a slow cooker or some other appliance with it.

Lumiere Lover
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
From earlier reports, it is a fridge, a toaster (being replaced), and a hot pot. The hot pot is the dangerous item.

Vikkil70 will be adding a toaster (replacing lost one) Earlier reports of a coffeepot being added fell through..To all upcoming swappers-please make every effort to put the toaster in the refrigerator so we don't lose it again. If it isn't put inside, chances are it will disappear. Thanks

7/5 Heard from gail8 and all went well with the swap except now not only are the toaster and hotpot gone but the shelf is as well. I'm thinking that the same swapper who forgot to pack the toaster and hotpot inside the fridge also left out the shelf. It's a bummer that this happened but oh well. (It would have been nice if the person who left our things out could have let me know) Gail has offered to see if she can find one and send it on, I'll post here if it happens. If not, items in the fridge will just have to be stacked inside. To me honest last time we used it we took out the shelf anyway to make way for taller items.

Granfan
09-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I completely agree with this... I have asthma too and that would probably kill me.

Thank you. I am bothered by all scented products! People who aren't just don't realize how we suffer. Several times last year we were in lines in a covered area and without a second's warning, a Mom would whip out a bottle of aerosol sunscreen and spray in the direction of her child. Of course it goes into the air and all over anyone near as well. Please be considerate of others who have breathing problems.
21 days to WDW :woohoo:

wahmtexas
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Just started packing today...
-cut up strips of dryer sheets in a baggie for park bag to put in pockets at night to repel mosquitoes :)
-mentos container filled with quarters and pennies
-homeopathic pink eye, cough, and ear ache relief
-stick sunscreen to reapply under the kids eyes
-hats
-sunglasses for the kids
-mini keychain flashlights for the kids
-antacid
-nightlight for the room
-hand sanitizer
wondering if I want to bring beach towels or not??? flying SW so no problem, 2 bags fly free but 10 days is quite a few more days than our last trip...

patches07
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
:surfweb:

kaetra
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
We always bring a toaster on our trips, and have never been told otherwise by Disney. I can't see taking my food into their food court, and using their machines to cook it.

As long as the toaster is cool before we leave, then I feel there isn't a problem.

I am sensitive to smells, and unless the toast in burning, I really don't think my Disney neighbors would be able to smell my toast.

:love:

Going down in 11 days, and taking my toaster with me.

I just saw this today in the Disney Mom's Panel - looks like toasters are OK to bring -
"Moms Panel * Answered Question

Planning a trip to ASM mid June, family suite. What are we allowed to bring when it comes to appliances, toaster, electric skillet, hot plate etc...?

Answered by
Erin F., NY Category
The rooms at the All Star Music Family Suites come equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. There is no need for you to bring these items from home.

There are toasters available for guest use in the quick-serve dining locations in all the resorts, or you could bring a toaster to keep in the kitchenette area of your room. However, hot plates, burners, and electric skillets are NOT allowed in guest rooms at WDW. Hot plates and burners are a real fire hazard and I have read that having one could be grounds for having you removed from your room."

debsters41
09-08-2010, 02:33 AM
That answer from the Mom's Panel was in fact referring to a suite with a kitchenette. I still do not believe toasters are allowed in the other guest rooms. I wouldn't want to be 'kicked out' for want of toast.

kimis
09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

They are small towels that dry nicely. We got ours at Walmart in the camping section.

kimis
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM

I also love the packing cubes, they give me lots more room in the suitcase and keep things nice and neatly organized. I also save the plastic holders of bed sheets and pillow cases (you know the zip up kind) and I use them to pack other essential items in (one pack of little swimmers, one for diapers, one for a medicine bag.
I also pack shampoo and conditioner and body wash in their own ziplock baggies, so that if they leak they will not get on anything else in the suitcase.

I noticed that someone on here spoke about the misting water bottle fans. We bought one in the parks last year and it is still going strong, we replaced the batteries and we will definitely be bringing it with us on this trip. I also will be bringing some King cole tea with us on this trip also!!

Where can I buy lavender exxential oil? I too am terrified of bedbugs. Thank you!

100AcreWood
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Ponchos. They are really expensive in the park.

Friendly Frog
09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Just an information link;

EDIT: http://bedbugger.com/2007/07/11/lavenderoil/

I also read somewhere else that diatomaceous earth does not work either and can be harmful, especially to children and pets, so please do NOT use it in a hotel room.

DizDragonfly
09-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Just an information link about bed bug repellents.

http://www.disboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=38218584&

That's a link to reply to a post ... not to a information link. :confused3

HS3kids
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Ponchos. They are really expensive in the park.

I just bought 10 ponchos at Walmart for 88 cents apiece, for my family of 5 :)

Also, bought 2 carabiner clips to hold a tote bag on the stroller handle. The tote bag will contain sunscreen, bug spray, first aid kit, wipes, outfit for youngest dd, snacks (also picked up some granola bars the other day) and an insulated lunch bag that will hold our refillable water bottles. We are staying at the FW Cabins so have a kitchen- plan to fill bottles halfway with bottled water and freeze overnight, then top off with more bottled water, to try and keep them colder longer.

26 days!!!!!!! :goodvibes:cool1::cheer2:

100AcreWood
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Thank you for all the tips! How do you freeze your water bottles? It seems like the resort mini fridge doesn't freeze.

maroo
09-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Thank you for all the tips! How do you freeze your water bottles? It seems like the resort mini fridge doesn't freeze.

The fridge works a lot better if you take it out of its cabinet...then things get really cold and can freeze! :) In fact...watch your cokes. :rolleyes1

Fabooliss
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't understand. :confused3

How do they work? It doesn't make sense to me that adding extra things to your suitcase gives you more room? I think I'm missing something?!

Local_Girl
09-18-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't understand. :confused3

How do they work? It doesn't make sense to me that adding extra things to your suitcase gives you more room? I think I'm missing something?!

I'm not sure that they really give you "more room", but they do help a lot in organizing your stuff so that it seems like you have more room. We bought a set of 3 varying sized packing cubes in 4 different colors (one for each member of the family). The small one will be for socks/underwear, the next size up, for t-shirts, and the largest size, probably for shorts and pants. They keep each person's stuff separately contained, and you can just pop them out of the suitcase and into the dresser drawers, keeping them in the cubes.

Today, we're using the cubes for an overnight trip. We'll only need one set of the cubes for everyone's clothing.

scarlet_ibis
09-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Do you have a web link for these cubes? I am having a hard time visualizing.

wanttobeinvienna
09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Great Ideas! Thank you everyone!

My MUST HAVE:

H2O Uno ... My 4 kids are 7,9,11 & 13- They are an awesome age for Disney- but Still waiting for parades, shows, etc can get a little boring! We have awesome games that sometimes include families from all over the world! They are plastic, and come with their own carribeaner! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game!

BigTikiDaddy
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
We add an old spare recieving blanket(we always refer to them as "spit rags" and some clips to help cover the little one in the stroller when she fell asleep. This helped create a shaded and slightly more "quieter" space to nap in.

We always made sure our little one had "Laser Lights" or some other light up shoes to help keep track of her in the dark, and a little bit of light for dark rides.

I usually add a couple of "mess shirts" as well, usually shirts that have stains on them that we don't care as much about, when the meals could be messy (spagetti sauce, chocolate ice cream etc..) put it on over their good shirts, and less worries about their clothes. (My DD2 is quite the messy eater)

HS3kids
09-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Sorry- not sure about the mini fridges, but we are staying at the Cabins at FW, so will have a full fridge & freezer...:drinking::goodvibes

MandM55
09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Thank you for all the great ideas. We are going in less than 2 weeks AND its my first time! I am so excited. We will be bring backpacks filled with these tips.

Question--How does everyone keep them dry on the water rides?

libcon
09-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I always pack a thermometer and children's Tylenol. I also like to already have an autograph book purchased for my DD (6) so we don't miss any Characters. And last I purchase a Disney gift card with $50 on it for my DD to use on whatever souvenirs she would like while we are there....that way she can budget out her own funds...although I do hold onto the card until she requests something.

Nancy F
09-19-2010, 02:59 PM
It's the only mayo I like.
Nancy:thumbsup2

Friendly Frog
09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Neosporin for minor cuts and anti-itch cortisone cream for the "Disney rash".

HS3kids
09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I always pack a thermometer and children's Tylenol. I also like to already have an autograph book purchased for my DD (6) so we don't miss any Characters. And last I purchase a Disney gift card with $50 on it for my DD to use on whatever souvenirs she would like while we are there....that way she can budget out her own funds...although I do hold onto the card until she requests something.

We were going to prepurchase autograph books until a friend showed me the memory books her daughter made...
I went out and got index card sized colored cardstock, used a 3 hole punch and made "rings" from red and white polkadot ribbons. The kids decorate the covers any way they like (stickers, bling) and the characters can sign pages. And extra pages are used for photographs that we will print when we get home, so the kids have their very own complete memory books :goodvibes:cool1::cloud9:

TxAnn
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
We were going to prepurchase autograph books until a friend showed me the memory books her daughter made...
I went out and got index card sized colored cardstock, used a 3 hole punch and made "rings" from red and white polkadot ribbons. The kids decorate the covers any way they like (stickers, bling) and the characters can sign pages. And extra pages are used for photographs that we will print when we get home, so the kids have their very own complete memory books :goodvibes:cool1::cloud9:

These sound really cute! Do you have any pics?

Local_Girl
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Do you have a web link for these cubes? I am having a hard time visualizing.

This is where we purchased ours:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032

I bought the black, raspberry, blue, and green sets.

HS3kids
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
These sound really cute! Do you have any pics?

The kids are still working on them, but I will try and take pictures tonight -hopefully we will finish them up today after I get home :flower3:
Then its just a matter of figuring out how to post pics to the Dis :confused3

Muppet_Girl
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Scotch Tape for Birthday, etc Buttons. It keeps the name on!!! :thumbsup2

scarlet_ibis
09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
This is where we purchased ours:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032

I bought the black, raspberry, blue, and green sets.

Oh, I like those. That would make it easier to unpack. I have three kids, and it can be a nightmare with them all sharing one suitcase (and the clothing getting all mixed up). Disney never has enough drawers for us, either.

Dragontears
09-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Lots of great ideas here. I too have added to my "list".

Now for my 2 cents worth:

I have been using essential oils for many years now and give seminars on their use. Lavender is wonderful to help relieve migraines and is a great relaxer among it's many uses.

However…it will NOT repel bedbugs. Neither will tea tree.

That being said…if you think you need to use it in the hotel, you can still be considerate of others. Simply put a few drops on a cotton ball to place near your pillow and in the corners, being careful to keep the treated side up. It does not need to be applied directly to these surfaces and will actually stain fabric. When you leave, just throw out the cotton balls.

This way you will not be leaving scent behind that may bother the next occupant of the room. :goodvibes

aenelson
09-24-2010, 12:48 AM
I LOVE the lavender, what I do is bring my own pillow, and a pillow spray. I just spray my pillow once, and the smell does not reach past the pillow. My DH can not even smell it. So this is another way!

Dragontears
09-24-2010, 02:24 AM
I too love lavender, it is one of the very few essential oils that can be applied “neat” …that is - directly on the skin. I rub a drop into my temples to ease my migraines, take a whiff on airplanes to help with jetlag and dab it on to take the itch out of insect bites.

I use a blend of lavender and bergamot in my bedroom diffuser and also in my bath. It is so soothing. :cloud9:

Funny, I am allergic to most fragrance products (puff up like a blowfish :eek:) but essential oils do not bother me. My dermatologist says it is the chemicals they use in perfume and cosmetic products etc. for fragrance. Good oils are all natural.

courtusher
09-25-2010, 01:32 PM
When my two were young and full of wanderlust i used to pin a luggage label to the back of what they were wearing with my cellphone number inside. I used a nappy pin as it had the safety part so it wouldnt come undone and pinning it between the shoulder blades meant they couldnt play with it or pull it off.
We also took a photo of them on our phone each morning then if, especially the oldest who could dissappear quicker than chocolate from my fridge (!) we lost them in the crowd we had a picture to show of them which also showed what they were wearing.
Another item would be a new storybook to read to the boys at the end of each day to settle them. In fact i still do this for my youngest and he is 16!!
The only other things i could think of was my eye drops as im a contact lens wearer and my eyes tend to dry out if im out all day and evening; and a small good quality hand cream.

mimomlile
09-25-2010, 07:03 PM
We have purchased cases of bottled water in the past to freeze in the hotel fridge the night before. When we didn't get a rental car or taxi to shop, it worked out best to choose Vitamin water as our first beverage purchase so that we could refill using ice cubes from the hotel ice machine. Normal water bottles have a neck that is too narrow.

freecia
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
A little soft sided cooler bag about the size of a sandwich for snacks/leftovers and possibly my collapsible sandwich container as an organizer and to prevent leftovers from being crushed (search ebay for Collapsible Sandwich Bento Box). A few extra ziplocks.

The ability to say "No", mean it, and not regret it with a smile. It makes for a happier vacation in general and lets me bring some money back home. It might be the happiest place on earth but you don't need to bring back Mickey's sink or do every single thing to complete the experience.

I hate over packing and under-utilization. A lot of the things on here might make life a lot easier if you have kids, for the kids, but not so much for the person carrying the luggage. Laundry sheets being the exception :) Less things means worrying less about what's not packed as well! Get multi-taskers, as Alton Brown would say.

ILoveMyGirls
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Could not agree with you more on these two points.

We brought the Purex sheets with us and they were wonderful. Also, only brought the minimum amt. of clothing, one pair of shoes that matched all of the outfits (red sandals for the kiddos), two pair of shorts each and four tops that matched the shorts. for us even less as we had a condo. Each child had one bathing suit (I used to bring one for every day!!). Packing with the packing cubes made life so easy as I did not have to fumble thru things when we got there as I wrote the girls names on their cubes, so easy to keep track of things. We are focused on reducing the amt. of luggage we check-in/carry-on a plane as we fly. The less luggage the easier the trip IMO.

The ability to say "No", mean it, and not regret it with a smile. It makes for a happier vacation in general and lets me bring some money back home. It might be the happiest place on earth but you don't need to bring back Mickey's sink or do every single thing to complete the experience.

I hate over packing and under-utilization. A lot of the things on here might make life a lot easier if you have kids, for the kids, but not so much for the person carrying the luggage. Laundry sheets being the exception :) Less things means worrying less about what's not packed as well! Get multi-taskers, as Alton Brown would say.

formytinkerbelle
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I saw something earlier said glow sticks so you don't have to buy the super expensive ones there. Target has had glow sticks (10 in a pack) for $1. That is 10 sticks for $1. We bought like 50 sticks for $5 and took them to Busch Gardens with us this year. It was genious. They come with connecters so you can make bracelets, necklaces and such. I just saw them in my store again with the $1 bins at the front of the store. I am going to stock up again for our December trip. We also decorated the stroller with them and it made it so much easier to follow.

bonnaroomama
09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
you should not do things to break rules and potentially harm these animals just out of convenience for yourself.

I get all the posters saying they shouldn't break rules, but what if you bring a non-disposable straw, like a crazy straw? I don't know if this would work, just throwing it out there!:flower3: