PDA

View Full Version : My Ohana review

DisneyMama409
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I ate dinner at Ohana's May 1st 5:00 pm. We rode the monorail to Ohana's. I was pleasantly surprised that it was on the same floor. I checked in and was seated within 3 minutes.

This is where it turns sour. The meal felt incredibly rushed. First they bought out the bread. It was cold...barely had flavor. I didnt really taste anything wonderful about the bread. They than bought out the salad and everything else. It seemed like as soon as we took a bite of one thing they were bringing something else out. There wasnt even anymore room on the table and they were still bringing stuff out :mad: We didnt get any refills on drinks . The waiter was so so . He didnt go above and beyond . He didnt even bring out the actual food. I felt so bad about the meal being rushed worse yet we were paying CASH and was still rushed in and out . I had the salad bowl sitting on top of the bread and the potstickers/wings sitting on top of the salad bowl with the noodles/veggies darn near falling into my son's stroller...Everything was bought out too fast! We barely got to enjoy anything. I didnt care for the food. I felt the salad dressing was too sweet . I was disappointed that everyone didnt get a seperate dessert...nope we all had to share banana pudding :rolleyes: Great... Not only that but I had it noted on the ressie that it was my mom's birthday and nobody said happy birthday or gave a special cupcake. In fact I had to ask for a flower lei * THREE times!!

Tinker'n'Fun
05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Even though my thoughts of Ohana our comparable to yours, it is important to note all your restaurants that it is a celebration, it is not required that a cupcake or something special be done. I noted my Mom's bday for our April trip and her first trip and only one restaurant acknowledged it. Too many people assume that it is a given and it is not.

Sorry you disliked Ohana. It is one of those love it or leave it places. I am a leave it person.

darthtatty
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
that was my pet hate about ohanas. we loved it but the same happened to us. the food was brought out very quickly. It was harder for us as we had a disabled son to feed too so it took longer to eat.
I wonder if anyone has managed to get them to slow down?:confused3

I have to agree about the cupcake- they arent a guarantee. people from Dis expect them these days and get disappointed-when really theyre not part of the meal.

RDM83
05-10-2010, 04:05 PM
When we ate at O'hanas this past April 23rd we got the same rushed feeling others are complaining about. I mean seriously, at one point the waiter just picked up our plates and side dishes without even asking if we were done. My husband and I looked at each other in disbelief :confused:
They definitely kept everything coming way too fast! The plates just kept piling up. :headache: I don't think we will be back.

DisneyFirstTimer10
05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
ugh- this is sad to hear- we are taking our first trip in two weeks, and Ohana is our first meal. We really want the whole trip to be laid back, and not rushed-

Celesdragon
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Same thing for my friend and I back on April 26th. Food was really good, but the rest of it... not so much. The waiter insisted on sitting the two of us at the open three-person table that was literally right on the walkway for the kids' games, instead of along the wall where we saw at least 5 open two-person tables. Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't center stage at the moment, with all the kids lined up facing us doing a dance, and the waiter trying to squeeze us in past all the families standing with cameras and the like.

We had stuff dropped on our table at least twice, and my friend's chair was hit several times when people crowded around us to watch their kids throughout the meal whenever they'd call for races or dancing. We couldn't even request a seating change, because our waiter disappeared within seconds. Our following waitress who finally showed up 15 minutes later couldn't move us, because they had already filled the open seats that we noticed earlier (though we noticed a family of four being squished at one of those two-seaters. We would have gladly switched with them). We also kept having food rushed, before we even had a chance to have a bite of the previous food, something would be dropped by. And it wasn't until they brought dessert that someone finally got a hint and started taking away our leaning tower of dishes. Food was great, service... worst of our vacation.

vettegirl
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I hope we don't get bad service next week. I have been fortunate the two times we have eaten there to have the same waiter. The service was top notch. I guess you just never know what you going to get a any restaurant nowdays. I wished we could get individual dessets there, I don't like sharing mine either, it's too good to share.:lmao:

DisneyMama409
05-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I was so upset after my meal. I had it all built up in my mind and i was totally disappointed. I even bragged about everything to my mom and brother about how amazing this meal would be and everything was so so ...and wayyyyy too much food . Crappy service. I thought about writing Disney about it but I should've just complained right there on the spot ..makes no sense to complain about it now but we will never eat at Ohana's again.

fairyfan
05-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I was there last week and agree that the service was poor, but we loved the food and we ate at our own pace no matter how fast the food came out.
Our waitress also did not refill our drinks either and my husband asked about alcoholic drinks and she never brought him a drink menu. Needless to say, it reflected in her tip for sure. We would definitely eat there again because we loved the food. The bread wasn't warm, but it was delicious and we thought it was one of the top 2 meals of our trip and a new favorite.

vway2552
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I too agree with the OP about the rushed service. My experience was also felt very rushed. My advice would be to think of it as a buffet, and instead of getting up and choosing what you want, everything they have is brought to you.

SuzieN
05-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought 'Ohana was totally yucky when we ate there last October! HUGE disappointment as this was the restaurant I was most looking forward to.

wish_upon_a_star35
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
We are going to Ohana's in June. But we are going for breakfast. I've been calling back to try and get a dinner ressie but I'm not having much luck at all.

I was wondering with all of the not so good reviews if anyone has ever complained about the service during their meal and if so what happened? I know in the past when we traveled we did suffer through a horribly serviced meal or two.

I hope our experience isn't so bad...but it's true nowdays you never know!!!

Tinker'n'Fun
05-11-2010, 12:06 PM
We are going to Ohana's in June. But we are going for breakfast. I've been calling back to try and get a dinner ressie but I'm not having much luck at all.

I was wondering with all of the not so good reviews if anyone has ever complained about the service during their meal and if so what happened? I know in the past when we traveled we did suffer through a horribly serviced meal or two.

I hope our experience isn't so bad...but it's true nowdays you never know!!!

I had the manager come to our table to tell him about our service. I did NOT want anything in return and told him this immediately. He noted our concerns, said he was sorry that we were not happy, and that was it. I personally just wanted to leave and go get something to eat. I was hungry!!

wish_upon_a_star35
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I surely don't blame you at all! It's a shame that the service is so poort. It's not as if Ohana's is a cheap eat either :sad2:

kathie859
05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
The pacing of the meal is a real challenge at Ohana. The first trip was absolute chaos--food being thrown on the table....hit and run servers....it was unsettling. We tried it again and focused on managing the service. We actually sent some food back when we weren't ready for it and noted where the server would be in order to get more drinks, food, whatever. It seems a shame that it's on the diner to orchestrate the meal--but that's how it is there.:confused3 I will say that the food on the second visit was much better than the first visit. So I guess it's hit or miss.

tluvstink
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry your dinner wasn't what you expected. I think 'Ohana either has a good night or a bad one. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in between. I hope that makes sense:goodvibes

We had dinner there several years ago and the service was great and we did not feel rushed at all. We actually had to wait a while for the check.

I hope this does not turn you off of Disney dining. There are a lot of great places to try.

Terri

DisneyDancin7
05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
oh no! I'm eating there tomorrow night!!! I guess I'll let you know how it is!

Joshua_me
05-14-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear of this...

'Ohana *used* to be a much more leisurely experience.

Imagine the same food, (except of a somewhat higher quality) brought out more slowly and when you were ready for it... And a waitstaff that asked what you wanted more of and what you didn't...

Nowadays, they've taken the "get 'em in, get 'em out" thing to a ridiculous level...

I hate to see this happening at The Poly. :mad:

PrincessTiffany
05-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow! I'm shocked at the bad review for Ohana. It is our family's absolute favorite, non-character, meal in all of WDW. We have been many times over the years and the food and service has always been so good when we have been there. And the kids are always so excited for the hula lessons and coconut races. Sorry to hear of the bad experiences, but it's a must do for us.

apirateslife4us!
05-15-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree with PP who said 'Ohana is either a love it or leave it kind of place. And also, with the person who said it's like a buffet that is brought out to you. We loved it when we went three years ago, although back then the reviews were no different I still wanted to try and am so happy that we did. The food was brought out in the way everyone described, however we didn't take it as a sign of being rushed, we just ate what we liked, asked for more of what we loved, and spent around an hour enjoying our meal. We'll definitely be going back, but I can see how this wouldn't work for every kind of diner. The fanciest food we get here at home is IHOP or Red Robin's, so I guess it's no surprise that every table service at WDW was an amazing and much-loved experience to us. :wizard:

DisneyMomx7
05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Wow! I'm shocked at the bad review for Ohana. It is our family's absolute favorite, non-character, meal in all of WDW. We have been many times over the years and the food and service has always been so good when we have been there. And the kids are always so excited for the hula lessons and coconut races. Sorry to hear of the bad experiences, but it's a must do for us.

We've eaten dinner at Ohana at least 10 times and always have had a great experience too.

Sorry OP had a bad night. I would have asked the servers to please wait, and hold off on the next course if it was we were still eating.

Also the everything, including the dessert, is always family style. If that isn't what the OP was expecting she didn't do her "homework" on Ohana!

soniag
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
We ate there on may 3rd and the service was lousy, our waiter didn't cared!!! But once we order the beef medium rare it got better. In fact, since we have all the receipes of the meal (except for the pork dumpling) we are making our own ohana diner right at home. It cost almost nothing to make and our bread pudding is pretty much as good if not better then theirs!!

Aloha

mdsouth
06-18-2010, 07:49 AM
We found Ohanas to be our best meal the entire trip. It was wonderful. :cloud9: Our waiter was excellent and he did not rush us at all. :thumbsup2 He brought out the food and gave us time to try it, then he came by numerous times to check our drinks and to give us more of the food we wanted.

I agree with the poster, if the OP expected separate individual dessers than he or she did not understand the concept of the restaurant. :confused3 It is served family style.

We really enjoyed it and plan to go back. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

We found Le Chefs in France to be very hectic and rushed. Plus the food was just okay - it didn't have much flavor. So, I guess it really depends on what you want and expect and sometimes the actual time you go. I totally understand how the service can be different for each group of people. A poor server can really ruin an experience.

MissLiz
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
We ate there on our May trip. We have always loved Ohana and when we couldn't get ADRs there on our previous trip, we missed it, so it was one of the first we tried to get for this trip.

I have to say that we were a little disappointed. The food was fine...of course, it did come out fast, not really in a course by course fashion, but it was good. Our problem was the service, or lack thereof.

Our server was already looking at the next place he was going while he was setting things on our table. I don't know how many times he set stuff on other things and almost knocked them over. Also, they used to come around more with the meats, but this time, the server came by once with the meat and we didn't see him with meat again.

We have a 13 month old so we weren't looking to spend hours there. But even we felt really rushed. We are thinking we may skip it again next trip.

The only other thing we didn't like (and I never noticed before because we were always a party of 3) was that there are very few 4 top tables in the main dining room. DD7 does all of the games and such and it was harder to do when we were stuck in the back where most of the 4 tops are. Not a deal breaker, but it was a little difficult.

jwboucher
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I am so happy I found these reviews. I have been to Ohana's 3 times. The second visit was so so and I really didn't want to go back. But DH loved it so we did. It was good, I liked the new veggies and noodles. That was 2007. But this year we are torn between Ohana and Chef Mickeys.....Any thoughts? .....Please.

dvcdek
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I remember a different place

JerseyDisneyGirl
06-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Thank you for posting this. I was starting to think it was just me. I have never felt so rushed through a meal, I should have insisted that the server slow down. The food was terrbile and to top it off we didn't even get sat in the main room. It was our kids very first meal at Disney, and it was horrible. I still get angry thinking about it. I would NEVER eat there agian.

DeeCeeSW
06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
We've eaten at 'Ohana so many times I've lost count. Most of the time, service is spot on, but there definitely were times when it lacked and things seemed rushed. Not being shy, I spoke up and asked for the pace to be slowed, that I could not possibly eat that much at once, and that our table was way too small for all that food. The onslaught stopped. On our last trip, the service was above and beyond--the waitstaff knew exactly what I wanted and needed without me having to ask (more shrimp, less meat, more dumplings!!). I'm sorry that the OP had a less than stellar experience. For the first time in years, 'Ohana will be our first night dinner spot (used to be Chef Mickey's but IMHO, the food is subpar).

GusT
06-21-2010, 04:54 AM
I am so happy I found these reviews. I have been to Ohana's 3 times. The second visit was so so and I really didn't want to go back. But DH loved it so we did. It was good, I liked the new veggies and noodles. That was 2007. But this year we are torn between Ohana and Chef Mickeys.....Any thoughts? .....Please.

I have been to WDW the last 3 years and 'Ohana is a must do for us every year! We did Chef Mickey's the first 2 years and will NOT do it again. We have never felt rushed at 'Ohana, but that is because we look at it as all one meal. The salad, veggies, noodles, dumplins and wings we just see as sides to the meat they pass around. I have never had a bad meal there and we ate there twice in 2008. The dessert is a shared plate, it is a family style meal afterall. We never had to ask for refills on anything, they were always asking us before we ran out. I loved the salad and have made the dressing more than once since we have been home. I am hoping to go back in November and it will definately be on our list. It is our favorite!!!

Like I said I think people make the mistake of thinking of it as a appetizer, entree, dessert place. We just think of it as.... as soon as you sit down you have lots of food to choose from!!

Erica

heartofdisney
06-21-2010, 05:17 AM
We've only been to Ohana's once,in September of 09,and while I wasn't too impressed with the food itself ,we had no problems with the service at all. My daughter is a vegetarian,and the chef even came out to talk to her about what she would like,and said how happy he was to make something different then the usual fare. He was extremely nice to us,and especially her,and then came out a second time to see how she liked the meal,which she liked alot. Ours was only so-so.It wasn't unedible or anything,but it just didn't meet my expectations due to the hype I was hearing on this board either.

mfd25wife
06-23-2010, 11:35 PM
We ate there last week and loved it. If they offered us something we were not ready for, we just told them we didn't need it yet. I reminds me of Texas De Brazil without the little red/green discs. We had a great server who made sure we never ran out of drinks. DD loves noodles and they brought her an extra bowl of them. We also enjoyed watching the fireworks from our table. I'm sorry not everyone has had the experience we did. We plan on going every trip now.

Vegcentric
06-24-2010, 12:59 AM
You know, it's weird but years ago when my family still did family vacations and my sister and I were still kids, we loved 'Ohana. My father didn't, but he didn't like anything (he's kind of grouchy, so we don't pay him much mind, lol!) about the vacation but my mother was pretty impressed as well. The food was amazing, and they brought out quite a variety of different stuff. I can't remember what we ate, but I do remember the service being really, really great. Our waiter came over, called us cousin very enthusiastically and gave us all leis and then explained what we were eating.

Flash forward to 2009, the last time I was there with my husband...and it was dreadful. Having lurked the disboards for quite some time I knew there were lots of mixed reviews, but oh man...it was bad. People are talking about the slow service...I remember just being ignored most of the night. We saw our service maybe twice - at the beginning of the meal and at the end. We did get leis, but she had absolutely no personality. We were stuck in a corner and barely saw anyone. Also, I don't know what was up that evening but the air conditioning was up SO high that I was shivering throughout the meal. We probably won't be back any time soon.

HeidiGW
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I agree. The first time we went to 'Ohana in 2003, maybe, we had the greatest meal of any trip...a party of 10 no less! We keep going back to 'Ohana, hoping for a glimmer of the first experience to find none! Although, the bread pudding has always been wonderful!!! My worst beef, ha, is that after being rushed/ignored it takes 45 minutes to pay!!!!!

Dizneydaz
06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Had dinner only once at 'Ohana about 4 years ago. Starters were good, meats were almost inedible. Mostly cold and tough. Sat our group of 3 at a table for 8 in the back, by ourselves. Didn't enjoy it at all.

Been several times for breakfast and enjoyed it enough to go back.

PrincessTiffany
06-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Ohana is our MUST DO meal every trip! It is our favorite non-character meal on property. The food has always been delicious and we've also always had good service. Just thinking about it makes me hungry . . .

raider97
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
We love Ohana! We had a great meal here on Christmas Day 2009. We had a 5 p.m. reservation and the food and the service was spectacular! This is a must-do for us!

CoffeeCup
07-01-2010, 10:45 AM
We ate at Ohana June 3, and I'll never go back. We checked in a few minutes early for our reservation and were given a pager to buzz us when our table was ready. After waiting over half an hour, DH asked the hostess when we would be seated. She claimed she had buzzed us much earlier, but since we were sitting there holding the pager, we knew she hadn't. She argued with DH until he asked her to buzz our pager, and he showed her that it wasn't working. Instead of apolgizing, she told him she had called our name several times without our showing up. That may have been true since there was no way we could have heard her because of a huge family group clustered around the hostess podium playing, screaming, running and pulling each other down on the floor, etc. The problem was that the pager didn't work, and she blamed us for not showing up when she buzzed us. When we finally were seated, the food came out far too fast, as others have said. That is annoying, but we've always enjoyed the food at Ohana and have learned to accept the fact that we will be rushed. However, the event that really caused me to decide never to return was when a waiter, dragging a table, through the aisle, knocked that table into our table and caused the bowl of chicken wings to fall on my leg. He stopped and asked if I were okay but never actually apologized. I asked him for extra napkins to clean the wings and sauce off my pants and the chair, and he just stood there. I asked again, and he said he'd go get something. Finally, several minutes later, he brought a wet, warm cloth like they always bring for you to wipe your hands. I didn't want anything, I know accidents happen, and, fortunately, I was wearing black, cotton capris that could be wiped off and later washed. I did expect an apology and more than one damp cloth to clean up the mess. It also would have been nice if the waiter had offered to clean the sauce off my chair instead of leaving it for me to do.

Silverfox97
07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, minority here. "Ohana is our FAVORITE WDW table service destination.We just ate our 4th dinner at 'Ohana Thursday. It was the best yet. Party of 7. ADR for 5:30pm, we arrived at 4:50pm and were seated at 5pm. We had a dining pair of servers - our drinks were CONTINUOUSLY full, and we were not at all rushed. In fact, after the bread, salad, potstickers/chicken wings, noodles/veggies, were we are asking them to bring on the meat skewers! They kept telling us to pace ourselves, and we knew the best was the dessert, so we planned on it. The only thing "disappointing" was the bread we were served was a little dry/not warm, but we were OK with that, as we knew what was to come and would rather fill up on bread pudding for dessert than welcome bread. Our serving pair was truly tremendous - we were cash paying (with Tables in Wonderland), and he didn't even look at my TIW card - just put the discount on there. I can guarantee we will be going back for a 5th and more times!!! :worship: Love "Ohana!! (Anyone have the recipe for the noodles???)

EvilQueenT
07-20-2010, 07:15 PM
do you think the change in ohana's as well as many other of the disney table service restaurants is due to the cuts they've made in order to offer free dining? things i've noticed are rushed service...trying to keep turnover of tables going to seat more diners, less variety on menu's etc...

PrincessTiffany
07-20-2010, 08:04 PM
do you think the change in ohana's as well as many other of the disney table service restaurants is due to the cuts they've made in order to offer free dining? things i've noticed are rushed service...trying to keep turnover of tables going to seat more diners, less variety on menu's etc...
What cuts have they made to offer free dining? I've eaten at Ohana's before there was a dining plan, after there was a dining plan and the last three times we've eater there, we've been on free dining. It was good every single time we ate there, pre and post dining plan.

Hmom03
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
We were also disappointed by 'Ohana this last trip. We noted that my husband had a black pepper allergy when we made our resses. Since we had had no issues with our other dining experiences, we assumed that there would be no problems with the food because no one mentioned it. Unfortunately, that wasn't what happened. When we noticed the pepper on the food, we asked one of the servers that were bringing around the food for something without pepper. He said that everything had pepper on it. We had to argue with him for about 10 minutes before he agreed to ask a chef to come out to our table. He just kept telling us that everything had pepper on it. It was very frustrating. When my husband finally got something he could eat, the rest of us had been finished eating for about 15 minutes.

FFerret
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's our two trips--both were great!

2005 Dec, around 8 pm
LOOONG wait despite ADR; maybe 45 minutes. Seated close to window, but couldn't see fireworks or MK. Food and service were wonderful. Mr. FFerret left large tip--waiter made extra trips to bring specific meats. Kids loved it, too.

2008 Apr, around 6 pm
LOOOONG wait despite ADR. Sound familiar? :) Seated in corner in other room. Thought we would be abandoned, but service was excellent! Food not rushed at all.

We're going again in Sep for the first seating of the night w/ free dining. Hope all will be well--it's Mr. FFerret's favorite Disney meal :love: This time I'm trying the Lapu Lapu!

Topper
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
(Anyone have the recipe for the noodles???)

http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_sfnood.htm

Peter Pirate 2
07-26-2010, 08:17 PM
What cuts have they made to offer free dining? I've eaten at Ohana's before there was a dining plan, after there was a dining plan and the last three times we've eater there, we've been on free dining. It was good every single time we ate there, pre and post dining plan.

No offense but you must be very, very easy to please. 'Ohana is a great restaurant, my Disney favorite, but the quality and service takes a definite hit due to free dining, no question. Right now, they're offering chicken instead of turkey, a definite down grade (excepting personal taste, of course). They no longer have a predominately Polynesian staff. Their specialty drinks have gotten smaller yet more expensive and they even tried to get rid of the skewered shrimp at one point.

It's OK to have your opinion based on your taste and enjoyment but don't pretend like it's the end all.

princess aleya
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
I have to agree with you, we too felt very rushed throughout our meal. We barley had time to chew and enjoy it. I have to also agree that I'm not a fan of bread pudding and didn't like the fact that it's the only dessert you can have :sad2:. This was our least favorite meal of the trip.

dvcminnie
07-30-2010, 08:02 PM
We ate at Ohana last week it was amazing we had ressies for 8:00 p.m. decided to go a little early and were seated within 10 minutes. My husband has an allergy which was noted on the ressie our server came out ordered our drinks and said the chef would be out to speak with us due to allergy. She came out told my husband what he could and couldn't eat and enjoyed talking to her. The whole family loved the meal we were not rushed to hurry. we actually stayed for awhile so the kids could particpate in the activities we even watched the fireworks from out table. It was a great meal we will defiantely be going back again.:cool1:

BenandMorgsMom
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you for posting this. I was starting to think it was just me. I have never felt so rushed through a meal, I should have insisted that the server slow down. The food was terrbile and to top it off we didn't even get sat in the main room. It was our kids very first meal at Disney, and it was horrible. I still get angry thinking about it. I would NEVER eat there agian.

Oh no worries, you are not alone. In the 12 years we have been DVC members and having had the opportunity to eat at all the restaurants at least once, this past March we tried for the third time at Ohana's. I can sum it up with 2 words....NEVER AGAIN! What a waste of more than 100 hard earned dollars. The food was cold, it was thrown on the table, everything was piled up to fit, we never received a beverage till the meat was being brought around. What a disgrace. But with that said....we've had many,many wonderful dining experiences other than Ohana's.:thumbsup2

tkitty
08-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I was there last week and agree that the service was poor, but we loved the food and we ate at our own pace no matter how fast the food came out.
Our waitress also did not refill our drinks either and my husband asked about alcoholic drinks and she never brought him a drink menu. Needless to say, it reflected in her tip for sure. We would definitely eat there again because we loved the food. The bread wasn't warm, but it was delicious and we thought it was one of the top 2 meals of our trip and a new favorite.

This was our experience also. I really looked forward to it, and was disapointed. I wanted to try one of the drinks i'd heard about, but kept getting ignored. Some of the food was good, but most just so-so. It was my DGS's BDay, and I had to ask twice if they could do anything for him (It was noted on the ressie). Finally he did get a cupcake. We were on the DDP, so they got their 18% tip,as we were a party of 6.
I really wanted to love it, but we'll stick with breakfast, which was wonderful on a previous trip.:goodvibes

Ladybugsy
08-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Has anyone ever complained to a manager? We are also going to be a party of 6 and I hate to think I have to pay a non attentive server almost 40 bucks for nothing. I am not one to complain, but I think it's totally ridiculous to have to pay for something I don't receive...SERVICE.

PrincessTiffany
08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
We ate at Ohana last week it was amazing we had ressies for 8:00 p.m. decided to go a little early and were seated within 10 minutes. My husband has an allergy which was noted on the ressie our server came out ordered our drinks and said the chef would be out to speak with us due to allergy. She came out told my husband what he could and couldn't eat and enjoyed talking to her. The whole family loved the meal we were not rushed to hurry. we actually stayed for awhile so the kids could particpate in the activities we even watched the fireworks from out table. It was a great meal we will defiantely be going back again.:cool1:
I have to agree with you - AMAZING has always been our experience at Ohana. It's our must-do meal each time we visit WDW. We have eater there many times and the food and service were always excellent. And the "Hula Lady," as my kids call her, is always so much fun! We look forwad to eating their each year and can't hardly wait for our December reservation - my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!!!

sak0526
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
We used to go to Ohanas at least once every visit- whether on a dining plan that trip or not. it was always a favorite. first with the kids and then with the friends that went with us after the kids got too old (ie, too many activities or working). We loved it! then 3-4 years ago we had a terrible meal. Ok any place can have a bad night. the next 2 years we went back and it was the same thing. Not only was the service just ok (and we went like 9 ish so not so crowded) but the shrimp was mushy and yucky and the salad was limp, and it just wasnt good. so 3 strikes and we're not going back. I wish they'd go back to the old menu, but barring that i wish they'd cook better.

and 1600 park fare used to be so good, and the desserts were to die for. now they are like any other place. sigh.

Heard02
08-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Went for breakfast a couple years back....loved it!
Went for dinner last year....HATED IT!!!

The breakfast was good and the character interaction was great!

The dinner.....rushed and unsanitary server.
Our server had a runny nose and kept wiping his nose on his hands and would still serve people. GROSS!!!! I was super mad!!!!
I called the next morning to express my feelings and left a message for the manager and never got a return call.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO OHANA!!! NEVER!!!

tami82
08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Our meal didnt feel rushed at all. It was about over an hour and a half total in time and felt all items were brought out in good timing. We went twice during our stay and do have to say the first time was a big quicker but our second visit was a little bit slower and drawn out which i guess is good because you want to enjoy your meal.

christymarie
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
We had an amazing time at Ohana. They made a point to tell us that we could take as long as we wanted between courses and never rushed us. We even got extra pot stickers because they tasted so great. We had a great experience and would go back in a heartbeat.

We ate there August 11th of this year.

Hmom03
08-30-2010, 10:04 PM
We had an amazing time at Ohana. They made a point to tell us that we could take as long as we wanted between courses and never rushed us. We even got extra pot stickers because they tasted so great. We had a great experience and would go back in a heartbeat.

We ate there August 11th of this year.
Maybe the CS at Ohana read this thread :laughing:

christymarie
08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe the CS at Ohana read this thread :laughing:

Perhaps. :)

sacall
08-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Has anyone ever complained to a manager? We are also going to be a party of 6 and I hate to think I have to pay a non attentive server almost 40 bucks for nothing. I am not one to complain, but I think it's totally ridiculous to have to pay for something I don't receive...SERVICE.

We ate there (just Dh and myself) on 8/14, deciding to give it one more try because we had bad service the previous time we had gone. Nope, never again. Our server was horrible - took forever to get drinks, forever for her to come back and ask us if we needed anything. I will say, the person who was bringing the meat/chicken/shrimp was great. But we did feel really rushed, like they were throwing the food at us.

We were not the only table complaining about our server. My husband did speak with the Manager, but we didn't want anything from it, just letting them know. I think the other table by us was going to complain. However, two tables over, it looked they they had a great server.

Stacy

Diegosmom
05-20-2011, 02:38 PM
How is service now? Hoping to book an ADR for here for Jan and hope that service is getting better?

chskover
05-20-2011, 10:35 PM
We eat at Ohana's every trip. We just ate there last Friday 5/13. It was the best we have ever had. The food was excellent and the service was great. We will continue to go and enjoy our meal.

poohluvrs
05-21-2011, 11:06 AM
We :love:LOVE:love: Ohanas! Went last two trips and was great both times, a must for us too, and we are super picky!:cutie:

tkitty
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I ate dinner at Ohana's May 1st 5:00 pm. We rode the monorail to Ohana's. I was pleasantly surprised that it was on the same floor. I checked in and was seated within 3 minutes.

This is where it turns sour. The meal felt incredibly rushed. First they bought out the bread. It was cold...barely had flavor. I didnt really taste anything wonderful about the bread. They than bought out the salad and everything else. It seemed like as soon as we took a bite of one thing they were bringing something else out. There wasnt even anymore room on the table and they were still bringing stuff out :mad: We didnt get any refills on drinks . The waiter was so so . He didnt go above and beyond . He didnt even bring out the actual food. I felt so bad about the meal being rushed worse yet we were paying CASH and was still rushed in and out . I had the salad bowl sitting on top of the bread and the potstickers/wings sitting on top of the salad bowl with the noodles/veggies darn near falling into my son's stroller...Everything was bought out too fast! We barely got to enjoy anything. I didnt care for the food. I felt the salad dressing was too sweet . I was disappointed that everyone didnt get a seperate dessert...nope we all had to share banana pudding :rolleyes: Great... Not only that but I had it noted on the ressie that it was my mom's birthday and nobody said happy birthday or gave a special cupcake. In fact I had to ask for a flower lei * THREE times!!

This was our experience also. Right down to the birthday that was on the ressie. I had to remind her twice, and then it was hardly worth the trouble. This was back in Oct. 2009, sorry to see it hasen't changed.

sjs314
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
DH an I will be eating at 'Ohana for the first time in October. Like the OP we have a ADR for 5:00pm (made it for this time since we are going to MK afterwards for MSEP & Wishes)

Does it seem as if they are rushing the earlier guest and the pace slows down with later reservations? say 8pm or later? I had read that allow 2 hours for a meal at 'Ohanas (wait time after check-in before being seated) and actual meal time and yet I read in this thread people rushed and finished in one hours time. :confused3

Just a little worried now about our reservation time

smiths02
05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
No offense but you must be very, very easy to please. 'Ohana is a great restaurant, my Disney favorite, but the quality and service takes a definite hit due to free dining, no question. Right now, they're offering chicken instead of turkey, a definite down grade (excepting personal taste, of course). They no longer have a predominately Polynesian staff. Their specialty drinks have gotten smaller yet more expensive and they even tried to get rid of the skewered shrimp at one point.

It's OK to have your opinion based on your taste and enjoyment but don't pretend like it's the end all.

Why is there no question that it is free dining? Have you not noticed that the economy has completely tanked in this country (and many other places in the world)? Most places are offering less and charging more.

bluejasmine
05-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Although I LOVE Ohanas and go every trip on our first night I agree about that rushed feeling BUT we dont allow them to rush us. We take our time, ask for seconds of anything we want and just relax. I understand they have ALOT of ppl that dine each night so we are considerate but at the same time we take our time as we would any restaurant.

Ever notice they do the same thing at Japanesse restaurants? Only thing is they will take your plate and scrape it into a to go box so you basically have to go..LOL

DCDisney
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I think WDW is just over birthdays now that the promo is over. I wish they didn't even ask because it leads you to think they will do something. We went for my 40th and never at any of our weeks worth of sit down meals did they ever do anything. We also stayed at Universal for 2 days and they said HBD at check in and sent a room service tray with a big piece of birthday cake, fruit, a card with a pin, and a gift cert for a free app or sundae at any of the on site restaurants.

Dallas_Lady
05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
'Ohana isn't what it used to be. It's so popular that they rush the experience to get the next set of diners in. I loved it in 2002 & 20004. In 2007 it was ok. 2009 it was just as the OP described. We have an ADR for it this trip, but I might cancel it.

DisneyCayley
05-25-2011, 08:59 PM
We ate at 'Ohana on May 15 and LOVED it! Our servers were amazing and we didn't feel rushed at all. As a previous poster mentioned, we looked at it as not appetizers, main course, dessert but one big meal and then an amazing dessert. We would recommend it to anyone and if we are ever able to go to WDW again (please please please!) we would definitely head to 'Ohana!!

Disneylove1228
05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
we ate at ohana May 1st, it was awesome!! we had great service all around, he even brought me and my husband a 2nd desert and called it the "main course"! LOL :lmao::rotfl:

maltdisney
05-28-2011, 09:06 AM
We eat at Ohana usually the first night of every trip and have experienced both - being able to sit relax and eat at your own pace and other times when we felt like our server must have been looking at a stopwatch.

Either way, we love the food and the atmosphere and you have to remember that you're not totally subject to the pressure to eat quickly and leave when it occurs. I've sent the dessert back on more than one occasion when they've turned up with it, telling them that no, I'm not finished and could you please bring me more pork / steak / chicken etc :) Don't be afraid to tell them you will be there for a while, so they should slow down a bit. It works!

Buzzsgramma
05-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Yikes!!! I have a ADR for 14 at 2 pm on Thanksgiving Day and I am just about to cancel it......

maltdisney
05-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Yikes!!! I have a ADR for 14 at 2 pm on Thanksgiving Day and I am just about to cancel it......

If it's any assurance, I had a similar size party there some time ago and they all loved it. Service was absolutely fine. Different dining dynamic I think when there's a big party.

arcticdisneylovers
05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry to to hear your experience was not good. I guess experiences really vary. We went in January and loved it. The service was terrific and the food was great. We were the first table seated with a castle view. DD6 loved the games, in fact she announced to all that, "This is the best day ever" :rotfl: I think Ohana's will be a regular for us now. DH probably liked the food more than me. There too much food as usual. Our servers were very attentive and kept our drinks refilled and offered food refills more than once. Though we didn't need more food. We also enjoyed the little fire show outside the Poly after supper. I do seem to remember waiting a bit for the bill to be brought but no big deal.

latmck
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
We ate at Ohana on Tuesday 5/24/11. It was the best meal we had all week for dinner. We were sitted in about 10-15 min after our ADRs time. It was fine because we were chatting with others & taking pics. Our waitress was so great, & we didn't feel rush at all. In fact, she told us to take our time & relax & enjoy everything. The food tasted so so good. Our waitress brought out a cupcake for our anniversary & ice cream for the girls. I didn't know that they did that; I was waiting for the banana bread pudding. Ohana is on our must do list.

DisneyLindsay
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
2 years ago we ate at Ohana with a party of 16 and in September we ate there with a party of 22.
We have had amazing service, and great food. We were not rushed in the least, yes the food comes fast, but with that many people at a table you want enough to go around.
We also looked at it as one big meal and not courses. I've enjoyed every morsel, and can't wait to go back, in fact his coming sept visit we have it scheduled twice!! Can't wait! It is my husband favorite meal of all, and the concensus of our party is we should eat there every night! Really though there is so many great restaurants to choose from, but Ohana's make our short list every time!:love::love::love:

WishIwerethere
05-29-2011, 02:15 PM
We were there May 10 and were grateful to be seated earlier than our very late reservation. Service was not good but also not horrible. My biggest disappointment was with the food.

We had eaten there several times, the last being several years ago, and each time the sides were garlic mashed potatoes and a couple of veggies (I believe corn and green beans), and the bread pudding was served individually (along with other dessert choices for those who did not like bread pudding). Everything was excellent -- very memorable meal and well worth the cost. This time we got cold noodles and steamed broccoli as the only sides. Yuk! The meal cost $125 for three people (including tip), and it wasn't even close to worth it. We won't go again, given the number of wonderful choices at WDW. (And I don't think I have ever NOT liked a sit-down meal at WDW.)

disneyfav4ever
05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your meal, but it sounds like you expected better service since you were paying OOP instead of being on a dining plan, and that you're also upset because you didn't get anything special for free, and I don't know why a family-style dessert would be suprising, since that's how the whole meal is served. But I do agree that the food comes out too fast, and the tables need to be larger or something to accomodate the amount of food served.

disneyfav4ever
05-29-2011, 03:54 PM
http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_sfnood.htmI'm going to have to make this for dinner sometime this week, I almost always have all the ingrediants for that.

MamaCoog
05-29-2011, 04:30 PM
We are also in the minority here that 'Ohana is one of our favorite meals at WDW. I always make our ADR so that we can see Wishes. I don't think we've ever gotten out of there in under 2 hours. The food is served family style but you are welcome to eat at your own pace. I've never had a server ask us to leave because we were taking too long to eat :confused3 Maybe it's because we're from the south and family style dinners are common here? It would be no different from a typical Sunday dinner after church where everyone sits down to a table full of food. You're not expected to eat everything immediately, you just take your time and eat until you're finished. We just ask our server to remove the items that we are finished with, as we finish them to free up some room as we go. We've always had an amazing experience there :love: Luckily, there are tons of other options on WDW property for the OP to try!! I have trouble trying new things because it means I have to miss out on an old favorite.

Princess Me
05-30-2011, 02:05 AM
We also had a bad dining experience at Ohana on March 19th of this year. We were not rushed at all, in fact each course took forever to arrive & some things we had to ask for multiple times. This was our first visit to Ohana and, despite my research, we did not know how the restaurant was laid out and what entertainment was available. We had a 9 year old in our party and both the host and our server knew it was our first visit (they asked us), but neither told us that there was children's entertainment. We were seated at a table near the entrance of the restaurant (separated only by plants) and nowhere near the entertainment--we could only hear it, not see it. I had read about the amazing lapu lapu drinks and so we ordered three of those right away, but we did not get them until after the main course had arrived. We had to remind our server about them twice before she finally brought them, and she never once apologized. Most of our meal was just spent waiting--for drink refills that we had to ask for, for each course, for my niece's children's meal that we had to ask about, and at the end for our check. Also, we were not given leis, but we saw a couple of other tables who had them, and my niece really wanted one, so we asked our server in the middle of our meal about them, and she said she would find some. We did not get leis until after we received our bill, and only then because we asked a more official looking employee with a clipboard about them. None of the staff was particularly welcoming or friendly & we definitely did not feel anything magical during the 3 hours we spent there.

Buzzsgramma
05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
I cancelled Ohana's for 14 on Thanksgiving at 2:00 pm.

jm106
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
We had dinner there last tuesday and it was lovely. The kids had a great time dancing and they enjoyed the food. my 5 year old ate his weight in shrimp- he was the only one who asked for more food. They did not leave much time betwee the "courses" but I was fine with that since I dont mind my meal parts eaten together. The beef was cooked a bit more then I would have liked but still tasty and not dry. We arrived just a few mmin. early and we sat for no more the 5 min. to wait for our table.

momof2forever
06-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I am really thinking I need to cancel my reservations.......these reviews do not sound very promising!

PrincessTiffany
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Ohana is the best restaurant and food in all of WDW! We eat there EVERY trip and will continue to do so - we were there in December and it was, as always, fabulous and we will be going there in August also.

LENNON500
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I know it's been said many, many times before, but it's so true....everyone has different tastes so one person saying the food is wonderful and the other saying they did not care for it is to be expected and neither one is wrong. I think some of these "dining reviews" are fairly useless. Completely subjective and unique to each person experiencing the restaurant. :confused3

CoffeeCup
06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I know it's been said many, many times before, but it's so true....everyone has different tastes so one person saying the food is wonderful and the other saying they did not care for it is to be expected and neither one is wrong. I think some of these "dining reviews" are fairly useless. Completely subjective and unique to each person experiencing the restaurant. :confused3

I agree that, for the most part, dining reviews are subjective and should be read as one person's opinion. However, when a number of people continue to have a similar opinion, I start to pay attention to what they are saying. At the same time, I don't believe everything I read on message boarads. There are people who like to "jump on the train" and agree or disagree with what others have written. There are some "cheerleaders" who post the same opinion over and over.

We are willing to try almost any restaurant once, and we try to include on every trip at least one place we haven't eaten. If we enjoy the restaurant, we go back again. If we don't enjoy it, we usually wait a few years and give it a second chance. I realize everyone can have a bad night, and I don't think it is fair or even in my best interest to decide I never want to eat at a certain place simply because the food wasn't as good as I had expected on one visit.

There are a few restaurants we have tried once and decided we never want to go again. We hated Whispering Canyons, not because of the food, but because of the noise and atmosphere. Some families love the restaurant for the reasons we don't like it, and that it fine. There are restaurants for every taste and preference, and that's one of the things I love about Disney World. I had read enough reviews to know it didn't sound like a restaurant we would love, but I tried it once so I could form my own opinion. I can appreciate the appeal for some families, but it wasn't something we enjoyed.

I read reviews to get a variety of opinions, I am willing to give almost every restaurant a chance, and then I form my opinion based on my experience.

TheNewMrsB
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
For what it's worth, my husband and I adored our time at Ohana - even though the table was full of food with little room for our plates and cups, even though everything came out at a break-neck pace. I would not cancel a ressie based on reviews - opinions are formulated based on not only the experience but how the experience was colored by expectations. I don't expect much - I guess that's why I'm generally happy? ;)

disneyfav4ever
06-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree that, for the most part, dining reviews are subjective and should be read as one person's opinion. However, when a number of people continue to have a similar opinion, I start to pay attention to what they are saying. At the same time, I don't believe everything I read on message boarads. There are people who like to "jump on the train" and agree or disagree with what others have written. There are some "cheerleaders" who post the same opinion over and over.

We are willing to try almost any restaurant once, and we try to include on every trip at least one place we haven't eaten. If we enjoy the restaurant, we go back again. If we don't enjoy it, we usually wait a few years and give it a second chance. I realize everyone can have a bad night, and I don't think it is fair or even in my best interest to decide I never want to eat at a certain place simply because the food wasn't as good as I had expected on one visit.

There are a few restaurants we have tried once and decided we never want to go again. We hated Whispering Canyons, not because of the food, but because of the noise and atmosphere. Some families love the restaurant for the reasons we don't like it, and that it fine. There are restaurants for every taste and preference, and that's one of the things I love about Disney World. I had read enough reviews to know it didn't sound like a restaurant we would love, but I tried it once so I could form my own opinion. I can appreciate the appeal for some families, but it wasn't something we enjoyed.

I read reviews to get a variety of opinions, I am willing to give almost every restaurant a chance, and then I form my opinion based on my experience.:thumbsup2

darbry
06-11-2011, 08:21 PM
We went to Ohana's last year and it was nice. We are going again this year. Our waiter asked us if we had ever been there and we told him no. So he explained that he would be bringing all of this food out and if we wanted more of something just to ask. He was attentive and would ask us what we think of the food. Good experience here.

darlaya
06-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had experience having a late ADR at Ohanas. Our ADR is for Thursday, September 16th at 9:30pm. Does anyone know how late they are open and if the food and service are poor that late int he night?

DoleWhipMom
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
It does stink when you are looking forward to a place and it doesn’t meet your expectations. We had that last year at Chef Mickey’s - been going for years but after consistently getting worse each trip, last year’s trip sealed the deal and it’s not on our list this year. Not because of the staff, because of the food. Hopefully they'l fix it and we’ll go back in the future.

We’ve gone to Disney World enough times now to know that sometimes a place can have an off night; maybe the staff isn’t the best (or the guests). We have been lucky and have had great experiences at Ohanas and love it. Looking forward to it on our next trip. I think what happens sometimes is that a restaurant gets “hot” and it’s tough to keep up with the demand. Our only problem with it last year were a few rude guests at the check in counter. I honestly do not know how the staff keeps their cool sometimes!

But, if anyone will be canceling because of these reviews, my friend is looking for an 7:30ish on 9/4 so let me know and she’ll take it instead! :)