PDA

View Full Version : What restaurants to avoid in EPCOT World Showcase?

OkieDisney
08-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Where have you had not so good experiences?

disney queen
08-10-2002, 01:47 PM
you will get a variety of opinions on this one. now, having said that, we avoid the restaurant at mexico!:p remember this is my opinion and i am sure a lot of people here will disagree w/me. LOL

TigerBear
08-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Oh, its so good we are all so different...San Angel Inn in Mexico is my favorite World Showcase restaurant. The atmosphere and the queso fundido appetizer can't be beat. :)

My least favorite dining experience was in Italy and I would only return to Rose & Crown if I got an outside patio seat for IllumiNations.

tinagirl
08-10-2002, 02:14 PM
I DO like the San Angel INN
I DON'T like the CANTINA de San Angel.

Just remember that almost every "country" has at least two restaurants...a full service and a counter service. So if someone says a "country" remember to find out which of the two they didn't like.
~Tina

dbail2
08-10-2002, 07:22 PM
We did not like Norway...

Jennasis
08-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Nine Dragons i China...YUCK! Worse than the local take-out at home.

TinkerPixie
08-10-2002, 09:47 PM
We like Norway, but you couldn't drag us back to the take out place in China. It has been awful both times we tried it.

followme2disney
08-10-2002, 09:54 PM
I would avoid the counter service restaurant at Morocco. In Jan we ate there to try something new and we found it practically inedible. Maybe this style of food was just not to our taste. We had to get burgers when we got back to CSR (which were particularly good).

Doctor P
08-10-2002, 11:10 PM
The counter service restaurant in Mexico is terrible. The sit down restaurant in Mexico was outstanding.

DancingBear
08-11-2002, 06:22 AM
I agree with the above poster re takeout in China--yuck!

We've had good experiences in San Angel Inn (although tables are way close together!) and Akershus.

honeymom
08-11-2002, 07:35 AM
I had a great meal at the San Angel Inn.

I had a bad meal at the Rose & Crown.

MadMadamMim
08-11-2002, 09:12 AM
We had a great meal at Le Cellier, and a really bad one at Rose & Crown

ucralum
08-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Good: Rose & Crown, Chefs de France
Bad: Takeout in Mexico and Japan

Richyams
08-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Awful Nine Dragons
Tried, not bad, but not apealing....Rose & Crown, Morroco
Good, France
Very Good, Le Celler
Favorite, San Angel

GEM
08-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Alfredos in Italy and Nine Dragons in China - very average food at really expensive prices! Not bad, just not worth the price. We can get Italian and Chinese here at home that is just as good and way cheaper!

Here are some of our absolute favorites, though!

Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco
San Angel Inn in Mexico
Le Cellier in Canada
Akershus in Norway

*We also love the counter service place in Morocco. It's the only "fast food" place we will eat at Epcot. It is different, but very good!

DisneyHumbug
08-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Nine Dragons in China - food not good and very overpriced.

PrincessAli
08-11-2002, 09:04 PM
We had dinner in Italy and hated it, might have been the time of year, tables were too close together.

China's take out was yuck, but we lucked out for lunch at Nine Dragons--not as bad as we expected.

Chef de France is our absolute favorite

FunkyLamb
08-12-2002, 02:14 AM
China sucks, period.

Chefs de France is mediocre. Bistro de Paris is much better.

Le Cellier is the best overall quality and value wise.

nicholas 25
08-12-2002, 04:48 AM
Any food in China is a disaster
Take out at Mexico is spotty
Alfredos is the worst food value

RachelEllen
08-12-2002, 09:45 AM
We loved the counter service at Morocco. It's great quality middle eastern sandwiches, wraps, and pastries.

Rachel

aring75
08-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Dh and I have to eat at Le Cellier in Canada every trip now. We love the atmosphere and DH is a die-hard carnivore!!

We loved San Angel Inn in Mexico. The "twilight" setting is so relaxing, although it does make it kind of hard to see the menu. Excellent food though (IMHO).

We will not eat at Akershus in Norway again. The service is superb, but the food does not appeal to either one of us. Mostly cold meats and salads, and some warm foods with strong "unusual" tastes. The breads were good, did not care for the soup.

Would like to try R & C. Heard some good things about it. I think we'll try it for our November trip.

Counter-service in American Pavilion was terrible when we tried it. We were just looking for something quick and simple. I ordered chicken strips, DH ordered a hamburger. Both were cold and unremarkable. Took forever and a day to actually get the food. Then, most of the tables in the seating area weren't cleaned off even though they were not being used. Is the American section of the WS the only one without a sit-down restaurant?

Kallison
08-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Italy and China

f-LORI-da
08-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Dined here for lunch on our last trip. Although the food was fine, and the service superb, my biggest complaint was the lack of choices on the menu. Perhaps dinner would be different.

Despite the small menu, I wouldn't rule out dinner here on a future trip, although I probably would try the Bistro first.

Eeyore1954
08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
I am not a fan of the Biergarten (Germany) or Akerhaus (Norway).

stevets
08-12-2002, 01:42 PM
I would rather drop dead from starvation than ever eat Alfredo's food again.

If you go to the worst Italian restaurant in your hometown, order anything off the menu, put it in your refirgerator for a month, take it out and drop it down the sewer and let it float around for a while it will still be better than Alfredo's at it's best.

aring75
08-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Tell us how you really feel stevets!!

valeriekc
08-12-2002, 06:32 PM
We are certainly in the minority as we love the "honey sesame chicken" at Nine Dragons!! Maybe you all are ordering the wrong item?

We like the "Rose & Crown" and it has become a family tradition for our 1st night in WDW! ( although the food is average to slightly good if your hungry enough)

We don't like "Alfredos" cruddy, overpriced, and we've even given it a few tries.

The sitdown place at Mexico was OK but can't they light up the tables a little there??

Just did the Marrakesh in May and it was pretty good and a very nice experience!

We've never eaten in America but we live here so no big deal!

Le Cellier was good the first time and ok the 2nd time so what ever.

Hope that might help!!

swankybeth
08-12-2002, 07:09 PM
I would definitely say avoid Akershus in Norway. We gave it a big YUCK, although many do quite enjoy it! :)

amyntx
08-12-2002, 07:13 PM
but we have ALOT of great mexican food choices in Texas. I think it might depend on what you are use to. For counter service, especially with kids, we love Germany for the hot dogs & sausages and also UK's fish & chips.

raidermatt
08-12-2002, 07:54 PM
No bad experiences. Of course we like some better than others, but that's just a personal taste thing.

POOH&PIGLET
08-13-2002, 07:34 AM
We've never had a bad dining experience at EPCOT. :D

stevets - LOL! ;)
We've never been to Alfredo's but probably will try it once just to say we did it. I guess we are forewarned.

Lanshark
08-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Last 3 times we tried San Angel Inn in Mexico it was horrible and the service was poor. We won't go back. This one used to be one of our favorites.

pennyplanner
08-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Thumbs down to Marrakesh dining experience.
The belly dancer was fun but the food was mediocre and the restaurant was unkempt. We were disappointed.

Thumbs up to Norway Kringla Bakery. A bit pricey for lunch but really yummy! High quality open-face sandwiches and super dessert choices.

Yakatori House was also really a pleasant surprise. Everyone groaned as I dragged them in but the tasty light dinner was perfect for leaving room for a Kaki Gori for dessert!

--penny

Tiggerlover91
08-14-2002, 09:05 PM
No bad experiences really...enjoyed some places better than others. Teppanyaki is my overall favorite in Japan with San Angel Inn in a close second. Lotus Blossom Cafe in China (CS) was quite yummy also. I must be unlike the others too, as I enjoyed Nine Dragons. The sesame chicken was very good and my fruit drink was quite yummy too. :p :o

docswkids
08-14-2002, 09:44 PM
The take out from China is awful. I think frozen chinese food from the supermarket would be better, even if you didn't defrost it! My kids think the best chinese food comes from the food court at the mall, and even they wouldnt touch the food from world showcase China.

Almont John
08-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Obviously, opinions on this topic are varying & contradictive. I noticed a lot of comments both ways on Mexico & China. I wonder how much of that is due to what Americans are used to - ie food in Mexico is nothing like Taco Bell, and a lot of 'authentic' Chinese restaurants have to serve what we have come to expect to be successful.

That said, I tended to go to places I was pretty sure I'd like, like the Biergarten (which I did). I was pleasntly surprised by Makaresh. I had the sampler which was wonderful. I was afraid it would be spicy (which I don't like), but it was just right.

Now this was back in '88, so things may have changed. We'll see next month.

PrincessAurora
08-15-2002, 03:55 PM
OK... enough said.

Actually, no. Nine Dragons is the worst place to eat in all of WDW that I have found so far. The service is snail slow (even in off hours), the prices are too high (even for WDW) and the food is nasty. This is where cold, greasy noodles go to die.

Do yourself, your wallet and your stomach a favour and skip it.

The counter place is worse. This is where they unload all the nasty congealed noodles/rice that they couldn't unload at Nine Dragons.

I've had EXCELLENT chinese food. I live in the San Francisco bay area and lived in LA for 13 years. I know great chinese food, OK chinese food and NASTY chinese food.

This is nasty.

Music Mole
08-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Princess Aurora - LOL!! from both my husband and me!:p

Not that China was on our list of options for our upcoming trip - I'd already read enough cautionary reviews - but yours is by far the most well-put!

jdwright13
08-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Germany -- the show was fine, the food was the worst german food I have ever had in my life.

Also, the French beer is nasty.

Beanie
08-17-2002, 08:55 PM
The only place that I have really not enjoyed while at WS was Nine Dragons! Honestly, IMO, the local take out here is much better!!

disvaclub92
08-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Alfredo's - tried it three times - three strikes - they are out.

Pinnie
08-17-2002, 09:50 PM
Had 2 so-so meals in Germany (Biergarten)

Very disappointed with Rose and Crown in July.

Would give anything for a place at WDW like the one at DL that serves those awesome Monte Cristo sandwiches.......

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCV 2002

callahanjulie10
08-18-2002, 08:14 AM
I have to say that there are so many different opinions about the same places that I am more confused than before I read this post! LOL

With that said- I think that a lot of the comments are based on if that person likes that particular type of food. I can see that I will avoid Nine Dragons- there are some Chinese food experts out there BUT as for the Morrocan and Norweigan (sp), I can see that this type of food can be either loved or hated. I would go to these 2 restaurants just to try because they aren't standard fare and the peopel who disliked them might just actually dislike this type of food in general not the actual restaurant.

My DH LOVES and I do mean LOVES de Biergarten where as I think it is so so. BUT he loves german food and I can eat it but I much prefer mexican or japanese.

Go, enjoy, and experiment- that is part of the FUN at Epcot

Richyams
08-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Would give anything for a place at WDW like the one at DL that serves those awesome Monte Cristo sandwiches.......

They used to serve them at Tony's in the MK.

They were really one of my favorite things to eat in all of WDW. The last time I had one was nearly twenty years ago. I have no idea why they took them off the menu.

ahutton
08-18-2002, 09:09 AM
My picks for the "worst places" have more to do with little or no atmosphere and average food. We did not like Chef's de France or Alfredo's. There were noisy and way overcrowded, tables much to close together and too much like any run of the mill table service restaurant. If we are going to dine at Disney we want some atmosphere.

eeyore0062
08-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Well, mine are for taste preferences, not service problems.

I would avoid Akersaus for everything but the Storybook Princess Breakfast... that was great!

I would also avoid Biergarten, Sommerfest, Tangerine Cafe and Restaurant Marrakesh.

Nine Dragons doesn't do anything for me, not because of any experience, but because I can get good Chinese food at home.

We have enjoyed Tempura Kiku, Matsu Ma Lounge, Le Cellier, San Angel Inn (lunch), and Yorkshire Fish House.

A kid at heart
08-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Lotus Blossem (chinese take out) it was without a doubt the grossest I have ever eaten, I've eaten eaten the chinese in both SFO and the LA area and while those had great food, this was just plain disgusting in WDW> I can get better egg rolls from my grocery store chinese take out.

CaliforniaDreaming
08-18-2002, 02:06 PM
I've done the following in Epcot WS:

Lotus Blossom Cafe (China) - Lunch - Horrible
Teppanyaki (Japan) - Dinner - Good
Cantina (Mexico) - Lunch - Good
Alfredos (Italy) - Lunch (2x) - Good
Chefs de France (France) - Dinner - Very Good
Rose & Crown (UK) - Lunch - Good/Very Good
San Angel Inn (Mexico) - Dinner- Good

So, theres my ratings. :)

wee-haggis
08-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Rose and Crown...overpriced,re-heated food!
Pleasant but extremely slow service.
Would not recommend.

smfnj
08-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Haven't really had any particularly bad meals at WS.

Akershus ( AKA House O Babes on CompuServe) - I loved the food selection, Wife hated it, son was so so.

LeCellier - We all love it, 7 or 8 meals there.

Rose & Crown - First trip there 2 years ago, we've eaten here 3 times now. Good salmon, fish & chips and prime rib. Try the Imperial sampler ( 5 different British ales in 6? oz glasses ) or black & tan.

San Angel - Son & I liked it very much, wife was so so.

The one food I look forward to most believe it or not, sitting in the courtyard at Germany with a Becks & bratworst, yummy........

steve

Pig Pen
08-18-2002, 09:59 PM
In June 2000, on a 90 plus degree day, at 2:00 pm, we stumbled onto Beirgarten and had the best meal of our vacation.

Whether it was the combination of cold beer, air conditioning, and the yummy vanilla sauce which tops the apple strudel, it was a memorable meal and we are looking forward to returning.

Even though I am on Weight Watchers...

No really bad meals - but I haven't eaten at either the China pavilion or Alfredo's yet (and I don't plan to).

msybelle
08-19-2002, 12:05 AM
I've never really had a bad experince in World Showcase. Our faves are Le Cellier and counter service in Morrocco. The vegetarian platter is great! We have avoided Alfredo's and Nine Dragons because of all the bad reviews. Chefs de France was nice, but not the best I've had.

dBugged
08-19-2002, 05:29 PM
We actually loved the Chinese (sit down) and Morocco restraunts. I loved the candied chicken in China and most of the selections in Morocco. So far we've only eaten at half of the places and didn't dislike any of them. We haven't eaten in Mexico yet, so I'll reserve judgement until after our September vacation. :)

WDWHound
08-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Akershus - We loved it, but it takes a bit of daring to try some of their stuff.

LeCellier - Loved it. I have seen very few bad reveiws of this place.

San Angel - We were served terrible food and drinks that tasted like badly made Kool Aid. Service was almost non existant. It did have amazing atmosphere.

Restaurant Marrakesh (Morocco) - Very good food, great atmosphere.

China - Be afraid, be very, very afraid

Chefs de France - Our meal here was mediocore at best. The service was awful.

I think many Epcot restaurants vary in quality from day to day (just look at the wide range of opinions on San Angel). The only 2 consistant opinions I hear are that LeCellier is great and China's restaurants are not very good.