PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Where to go? What to see? Advice needed!

Matt.
05-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, me and my best mate are off to Orlando, on 7th June. It'll be my first time in America! We're staying for 7 nights at the Best Western Orlando Gateway just off International Drive.

We were planning to do;
Universal Studios, IOA, Sea World, Aquatica, Wet N Wild.

I was also hoping to go to maybe one of the Disney parks either Animal Kingdom or Epcot? Have been to Disneyland Paris many times so am definitely not fussed at doing the Magic Kingdom. I also really wanna go to Typhoon Lagoon, or Blizzard Beach? Which is better?

So just wondering what you think is do-able in our time there? And if you'd agree with the must do's I've put and suggest any better places or anything else?

Also if you've got any handy tips and stuff of the theme parks and places to eat etc? Thanks so much!

Linda67
05-09-2010, 10:14 AM
If you want to choose between AK and Epcot, I would suggest Epcot

There are some great attractions such as Soarin' Mission Space & Test Track but you also have all of World Showcase to tour with it's great dining options.

You can also view Illuminations each evening which I am sure you would enjoy

In my opinion Magic Kingdom is so much better in Orlando than in Paris so I wouldn't rule it out

You are going to have an amazing time and you'll want to go back I'm sure so don't try to do everything as it's just not possible

Cyrano
05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
EPCOT and Animal Kingdom were by far everyone in the families favourite parks at WDW. Like you suggested being fans of Disneyland Paris meant we were underwhelmed with Magic Kingdom. However for Carosel of Progress, Tomorrowland Transit Authority and Jungle Cruise we would include one day at MK.

EPCOT would be at least 2 days IMHO, so you may have to leave some things out for the inevitable return trip :)

katiec
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I suppose it would depend on how much you would HAVE to see in all the parks.

If you only have a week you are DEFINATELY going to miss out on things - I suppose you'd have to decide whether you want a whistle stop tour of as much as possible or do a couple of things properly?

We got to MK just on opening and had finished doing everything we wanted by just after lunchtime :rotfl:. We did stay on to watch the parade and the glass blowing man in main street, plus I felt it was rude to leave that early!!! :rotfl:

There were only the 2 of us and to be fair I felt we did rush round and didnt get to see it all, but it COULD be done in a long morning. (Thats why we're going back next year to do it "properly" :banana:)

I also think you COULD do Epcot in a day (or a long half day) - of course you couldnt hope to do it all but it would give you a real flavour of the park?

I think you would need longer to spend at AK - we got there for opening and had finished by 4ish - rushed round everywhere but did everything we wanted - all the signature rides and the shows - it was a great day.

In my opinion TL is nicer that BB - more of a Caribbean/Beach laid back theme - whereas BB is "chilly" but has lots of rides. Didnt do BB on last visit - not sure it would be my top water park - if I could only do 1 it would defo be BB.

Happy planning

Princess Clayre
05-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Not sure if money is an consideration to your planning or not but one day entrance to Disney is very expensive. It gets cheaper the more days you add on.

If you are planning to do Universal Studios, IOA, Sea World, Aquatica, & Wet N Wild it might be better purchase the multi day pass that cover these parks (can't remember the name at the moment but I can try and track it down) and then give yourselves an extra day at one of the universal parks. If you have a car then you could still drive down to the disney area and look around the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Downtown Disney and Boardwalk areas (You can even watch part of the Ecpot firework from here) for free.

If money is not an problem then go for original plan of visiting Animal Kingdom or Epcot. Both are great parks. If your into animals then AK is beautifully landscaped, a few big rides and some excellent shows. Ecpot is usually open longer hours so you get more park for your money! It really is difficult to choose between the two.

If you do end up doing a disney waterpark then I prefer Typhoon Lagoon but if you more into the waterslides then Blizzard Beach would suit you more.

And one last tip..Don't forgot to leave some shopping time. There's some great bargains to be had!

Helen B
05-09-2010, 03:17 PM
If you're going to do Universal, IOA, WnW, Aquatica and SW, then you need the Orlando Flex ticket* which is 162 from Travel Republic or you can purchase over there for $260+tax (given current exchange rates, I would buy in advance,) however this ticket is excellent value. Unlimited entry for 14 days, you can't get less than that.

I think Aquatica is by far the best water park, but WnW has more extreme rides, however, it was starting to look dated last time I went.

If I was going to take in one park at WDW I would do Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. If I was going to choose one of the water parks at WDW then I personally would choose Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach. Also given that you're only going to do one day at WDW, I would just buy the tickets on the door.

*There is also a flex ticket plus which includes Busch Gardens, so when choosing make sure you pick the correct one.

izzie-wizzie
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Personally if i was only in Orlando for 1 week - I would not waste time at Wet n Wild - in comparison with the other offerings it just wasn't worth it for us, like PP said - very dated, and was defo the worst of all the parks for us when we were there in October. Didn't actually do Aquatica though but looks like it is a lot of fun there.

As for Disney parks, it would depend what you really want to get out of the day!

The hardest question ever is to choose just one park! I would perhaps go with DHS. Or you have the option to get a 1 day hopper (can get pricey!) - And do one park in the morning from rope drop, and then go to a park such as Epcot that would be open later to get the most out of your day!

As for waterparks - if you like wavepools you gotta try Typhoon Lagoon its crazy!!

Matt.
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
The only reason we were planning to do Wet n Wild is because it is included in the Flex ticket, so it makes sense to go?

Roughly how much is a 1 day park hopper?

I did prefer the look of Typhoon Lagoon, the new masterblaster slides look great and the same with the shark swim and the wave pool!

Really cannot wait to go now :D Only 4 weeks to go! Am especially excited as my Virgin rep has got us access to the Harry Potter world before it opens on 18th :D

Princess Clayre
05-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Disney 1 day pass is $139.58 with park hopper or $84.14 without hopper

Very cool about the Harry Potter entrance. Going in August so love to know what you think!

Matt.
05-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Wow that is pretty pricey..hmm

izzie-wizzie
05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
The only reason we were planning to do Wet n Wild is because it is included in the Flex ticket, so it makes sense to go?

This is the same reason we went to Wet n Wild, and even on a two week trip we personally felt like we wasted our time going here. Thankfully it was practically next door to out hotel so we didnt have to go out of our way to get here.

So if you have 7 days:

1 at universal
1 at IOA
1 at sea world
1 at aquatica
1 at typhoon lagoon / blizzard beach

Giving you 2 extra days?

If you're there I would recommend spending them at Disney Parks than another waterpark - obviously though if you love waterparks i can understand Wet and Wild - I do like waterparks but if im in Florida i'd rather see the theme parks.

Matt.
05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I definitely want to do Aquatica and I would prefer to do one of the Disney waterparks than Wet n Wild, so I suppose may give Wet n Wild a miss.

How much are the Disney waterparks? The disney website only seems to tell me 7 and 21 day packages :confused3

I'm still deciding between Animal Kingdom or Epcot, as that 1 day hopper seems really expensive.

Princess Clayre
05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
The disney site is a pain when your in the Uk. It keeps diverting back to the uk tkts.

Here the link to all the prices:

.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tickets.htm#tickettypes

O I can't post links as i'm new here :mad: add the www bit to the above

Matt.
05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that! So confusing with all the different options, sure I'll work it out though :goodvibes

Matt.
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Have decided to do Busch Gardens with the Flex Plus ticket, so no need to decide between any of the Disney theme parks now :)

luke
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Really cannot wait to go now :D Only 4 weeks to go! Am especially excited as my Virgin rep has got us access to the Harry Potter world before it opens on 18th :D

Only thing is, the new Harry Potter ride MAY not be open even if you can get into the WWoHP. There's a chance it could be open but wouldn't be a certainty :(

If you're still wanting to do a Disney park and not too fussed on seeing MK, a trip to Epcot may be a good bet, and a 'drink around the world' would be a good bet to fit in with the theme of the rest of your holiday :)

:goodvibes