PDA

View Full Version : Race Walkers

rabyoga
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Last week, I race walked my first 5K.. I did it in 45 minutes. Not too bad since I 2 months ago I had foot surgery. I'm looking for anyone who is race walking and what type of training they do. I want to shave a few minutes of my time-12/13 minute miles.

Thanks.:cool2:

VernRDH
05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Congrats on your race!!!

If you are looking for some insight, pop over to the events/competition board and check out post by windwalker (also known affectionately as THE Panda). He is the man to see about racewalking. :thumbsup2

Knowing Dave, he will probably find you first, but just in case, look for him there.

And good luck!!

ohMom
05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Congratulations on your 5k! I have been a self-proclaimed "powerwalker" for the past 6 years or so...starting at a 15/min mile is great! I like John Bingham's book "Marathoning for Mortals".

the approach i used for improving my time is by intervals...I'd set a watch to beep at intervals, say one minute "fast paced focused walking' followed by 3-5 mins of natural fast walking. the key I found was to train my muscle memory on the powerwalking move. it's easy to follow such routine on a treadmill too. I just prefer outdoor walking when I can. Also, I applied the 10% rule I had become familiar too -- increasing your weekly mileage by 10% to avoid injury.

i won't go into long elaborate counts of my experiences off the bat...but please detail what your thoughts are and i'm more than happy to chime in my thought

wdwrunner
05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Greetings-
It's great to see some RW here. I didn't really know where to look for any. I have been RW since bunion surgery a year ago. It's a lot better on my body and I don't seem to be as bothered by the heat than when I was running.

I completed a half marathon inMarch locally in 2:53 which I believe is a 13:14min/mile pace. There is a whole technique to true RW and I am not sure I would pass a judged RW competition. www.racewalking.org has lots of helpful hints.

PM if you want to talk more about it as well. Welcome to the "other" side.

Kris

lisah0711
05-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't have any tips for you but I am very interested in hearing the answers you get. Good luck in your training! :flower1:

johde
05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not a true race walker but just finish my first walking half marathon. What has helped me go faster is starting to do some speedwork. Ohmom mentioned doing intervals. And I used interval training 1 day a week during the last several weeks of my marathon training. After warming up, I would walk 3 minutes then either walk fast or slow run for 1 minute (I'm hoping to transition to a walk/run Galloway type method). Then repeat for a total of 8 times before cooldown.

A less structured type of speedword is fartleks. While there are now routines called fartleks, originally it was impromptu speed up "race you to the tree" type of speed work just like when you were a kid. For example The trail I worked on had 1 section that was marking with 40yd, 100m, 200m and 400m lines. One day I decided to try a 100m dash just to see how fast I could run. I finished it in 29 sec or about a 7 min/mile pace faster then I ever dreamed possible. I was huffing and puffing at the end and could't have kept up the pace any further. After that, I went back to my 17 min mile pace for the rest of my walk.

Those things cut my long distance walking pace form about a 17:00 min mile to a 15:40 average for my half marathon and my final .2 mile at a 13:20 pace.

One final thing, you don't want to do this every workout. Probably no more than once a week. Monday's I did speedwork, Wednesdays I tried to focus on consistancy, and Fridays were Long Distances work.

Good Luck and you will probably get faster over time even with any speedwork but for me it provided variety to my workouts and made the improvement happen more quickly (or at least it felt that way).

wdwrunner
05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Excellent suggestions by the previous posters! Awesome! Very helpful. Thanks! I find that I can be pushed to work out harder by using a treadmill for these types of workouts. (the thought of flying off the back is very empowering! lol)

Kris