PDA

View Full Version : Resort Dilemma**Updated**

lvs_eeyore
08-10-2002, 08:36 AM
We have ressies for the Polynesian for Thanksgiving Weekend 11-27 to 12-1. I was really happy with our choice until I found out that the resort is FULLY booked up due to the closing of CBR and the upgrades. The Poly is a smaller resort and I am VERY concerned that all the amenities will be taxed out, pool, restuarants, etc.....

We have a chance to stay at AKL which apparently still has many rooms available during that time at a cheaper rate per night Savannah view.

Now I dont know what to do!! The Poly has the fireworks, water pagent and monorail but ALK is newer, larger, has a wonderful pool and spas, and of course the animals from your balcony. I have always wanted to stay at AKL but the Poly is hard to give up.

I guess Im looking at suggestions on what others would do in my situation.

Traveliz
08-10-2002, 09:00 AM
If you want the Poly I would stay put - chances are any of the resorts will be full Tday weekend - it is traditionally a busy busy weekend.

Liz

Dana_Buckley
08-10-2002, 10:19 AM
It looks like you are going to stay at Poly next week on your trip. (I'm so jealous) Maybe after your stay, you will be able to decide if you want to stay there again, or move over to AKL?
Have a wonderful trip!

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 09:21 AM
I guess what is bugging me also is that we are paying 184.00 a night for the room that others are paying 109.00 for and we are checking in late around 7:00 and paying that price I do NOT want a parking lot view which is what I am afraid I will get. Please do not get me wrong Im not upset at the CBR people I am upset about things being taxed out and paying a higher rate and possibly getting a room I dont want.

Unfortunately I will have to decide before our trip as the deposits will come due before we leave.

hallie
08-11-2002, 10:20 AM
I guess what is bugging me also is that we are paying 184.00 a night for the room that others are paying 109.00 for and we are checking in late around 7:00 and paying that price I do NOT want a parking lot view which is what I am afraid I will get. Please do not get me wrong Im not upset at the CBR people I am upset about things being taxed out and paying a higher rate and possibly getting a room I dont want.

I can understand that. We stayed at the AKL in April and it was incredible!! It was so relaxing and the bus service was the best we've ever experienced at a WDW resort. People always say how out of the way AKL is but it doesn't share it's busses with any other resort. So sure when you stay at the Poly or wherever you're physically closer to some places but you have to make all the stops to the other reosrts, so it all equals out in the end. We found the service fantastic at the AKL and in 2 weeks never waited more then 15 minutes and that was just one or 2 times. Most times a bus was there within 10 minutes.

I just fell in love with the AKL, even smells good-lol.
The lobby is awesome, there are little bridges on the sides and art displayed everywhere. There's big comfy seats everywhere and you can lounge down there and just take it all in. The Mara is the *food court*. It's one of those places you order your food and then they deliver it to your table either inside or outside. The pool is huge with a water slide and there are 2 hot tubs- one that's next to the playground and larger and one that's secluded and hidden on the other side. I liked this because it seemed that people with children went to the larger one and the secluded one was more for couples.

If you decide to stay there I'd recommend the Arusha rock savannah, Zebra trail, 2nd floor. The Arusha savannah is the center onr at the resort and we always had animals present. Zebra Trail was just an elevator ride down to the pool, restaurants and Mara. I liked the 2nd floor because it was very quiet, the lobby was is actually on the 3rd floor here.

If you have any questions please just ask!!!

rebbeca
08-11-2002, 10:28 AM
I have ressies for Poly Concierge 12-1 to 12-6. I now am also concerned about the possibility of overcrowding. My son wants a 1BR on DVC points. Right now we are on a wait list to rent points. I really hope this works out instead. I personally have always wanted to stay at the Poly Concierge, but it appears this may be the wrong time. I'm seriously considering switching resorts.

Becky:confused: :confused: :confused:

Bob NC
08-11-2002, 12:43 PM
I found out that the resort is FULLY booked up due to the closing of CBR and the upgrades. The Poly is a smaller resort and I am VERY concerned that all the amenities will be taxed out, pool, restuarants, etc.....

I guess what is bugging me also is that we are paying 184.00 a night for the room that others are paying 109.00

checking in late around 7:00 and paying that price I do NOT want a parking lot view which is what I am afraid I will get.

Go ahead....Switch to AKL....And don't worry....

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 01:08 PM
As you can see we make MANY trips to Disney per year. I am not a complainer but when I am paying a high rate and and someone else is paying a MUCH lower rate I expect to get what I paid for. I would at least expect that I should get preference of room view. Im not that hard to please and I dont go around complaining about Disney and getting all upset about any little thing that happens. Of all the trips I have taken I only had ONE problem worth complaining about and I did that directly to Disney and not on the boards. Just as I have done in this case. I was only asking for a suggestion on Resorts. How DARE someone propose to know what I am like or what I will do from ONE post.

GoofysPrincess
08-11-2002, 01:42 PM
If it were me, I'd probably switch. You've been to the Poly before, so why not give AKL a try? It's a relatively short vacation, so even if AKL turns out not to be your favorite, it won't be that big of a deal...

Have a great trip!

susy
08-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Since you are staying at the Poly this Aug, I would switch to the AKL. Only because you can probably get a better deal there. Have you checked the rates on mousesavers?????They are great!!!

With all the activity and crowds of Thanksgiving you may want a resort that is out of the way, just to get some space!! AKL doesn't share buses!!! I know the Poly is on the monorail, but on one of the busiest weekends I'm sure that will be no picnic!!!
Think of the animals!!!!

For the same money, you will be pretty much guaranteed "no parking lot views"!

Bob NC
08-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Nasty little post?....Wow....

Maybe it was a little too truthful for this board, but not nasty. It just cheeses me off that like every 3 or 4 months or so this board turns into a complaint fest. I tune in here to read good things about a place I like to go. I know there will be occasional problems that people have. But, it's just that sometimes they come to a head and every single post you read here is about somebody upset with something.

Gosh, lvs_eeyore wants to make sure their room, (for 184/nite), is better than the rooms that other folks get for 109/nite. Well, I got some info, ya better hope they are not providing views based on what you paid because 184 is STILL at the relative bottom of that list.

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Bob the way I feel is that people who paid rack rate should get first choice and then go down from there. This is the only fair way to do it. Why should I get a better room view than someone who paid rack. I shouldnt.

Im not complaining Im asking to be treated fairly and to me getting a decent room is fair considering what Im paying.

This was not started as a complaint post. If you took it as that that is totally your deal. I was trying to decide between two resorts. I dont think that warrents a personal attack on me. You dont know me at all. As I said before my complaint went directly to Disney as it should have and not to this board.

BTW if you dont like the complaint posts or what you concieve as complaint posts you either dont have to read them OR you could use the back button.

gepetto
08-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by lvs_eeyore
Bob the way I feel is that people who paid rack rate should get first choice and then go down from there. This is the only fair way to do it.

How is that fair or even practical? I'm sure the room controller doesn't know who pays how much for a room. Should "those people" with discounts be put next to the boiler room? I expect the same quality and service when I get a discount.

In any case, Thanksgiving is very crowded. I'm sure all of the resorts will be at or near capacity. The transportation at AKL is very good and I don't think from "door to door" it takes any longer to get to the parks from there vs. Polynesian.

Bob NC
08-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Sorry if you took offense, lvs_eeyore.

I have stayed at Poly 3 times and AKL once. I'm sure that most resorts, deluxe anyway, will be near, or at, capacity for the dates you are going. Under those assumptions, I would switch to AKL. All the ammenities at AKL can handle more people than Poly. The fast food place, Mara, is larger and nicer. The pool is waaaaay bigger and handles more capacity for both swimming or lounging. PLUS it has a hot tub....TWO as a matter of fact. AKL also has a smaller percentage of it's rooms with dreaded 'parking lot' views than the Poly. I say on all counts AKL wins this one.

susy
08-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I don't know about those paying more getting a preference in principle, but it probaly wouldn't happen in real life. I bet that those who check in early get their pick. If people don't like their room when they get to it, they can either stay put or ask to move. If a CM would have the nerve (I know they do it) to tell me about "what I paid", I would simply remind them that it was their hotel who OFFERED the discount.

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 03:20 PM
I dont think a CM should ever make mention of what you paid. I do think the room assigner should take into account what a person paid though and what their requests are. I guess Im just figuring what would be fair. I guess it might not be practical.

Bob thank you. I appreciate the information you gave me on the AKL. I know for sure I wouldn't get the "dreaded parking lot view" LOL because we would have a savannah room.

I dont know why its so hard for me to give up the Poly. I know I will be there in a few short days and then again in July of next year for our 20th anniversary. I have always wanted to stay at the AKL. Geesh why is this so hard?? LOL

Dana_Buckley
08-11-2002, 03:36 PM
I guess I'll put my 2 cents in....I think room assignments should go to those who make requests first. If someone paid rack, but didn't make any request, then they should get what is available. Personally, I made ressies 7 months before my trip at rack rate at Poly. Then, thanks to this board, I called and had the discount rate applied to my ressie, and was able to upgrade to concierge. However, the only room request I made was 1st floor, which I got. So, because I got a discount rate, should I have gotten a less desirable room. even though I made ressies 7 months before my trip? I don't think so. First requests, first served! ;)

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Dana that would be another way to handle it. Though people who pay rack rate are often people unlike us who dont know the ins and outs of Disney discounts. I guess I would just feel bad for a person paying rack and ending up looking at the parking lot or monorail unless of course thats what they wanted. Some people love the monorail view rooms.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO
08-11-2002, 03:54 PM
I would just stay put at the Poly. I imagine that time of year will be booked anyway, and CBR people will be put at AKL also.

WilmaBud
08-11-2002, 03:54 PM
lvs_eeyore, since you're already staying at the Poly, I'd try the AKL if I were you. It'll be a totally new and exciting experience for you.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO
08-11-2002, 04:15 PM
I am back and changed my opinion:smooth: (a woman's right :teeth: )!
If AKL is all dressed up for Christmas, I think that would be more cozy that time of year:D !

zurgswife
08-11-2002, 07:23 PM
I'm an AKL fan here.....definately give AKL a try....if not for being DVCers AKL would our favorite resort......

Give it a try....if you don't like it go back to Poly next trip..

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 07:26 PM
AARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! After all the upsetness I have had over this decision for the last four days I went to cancel the ressie for the Poly and explained why. I was told there is NO WAY WDWTC or CRO can tell if a resort is maxed out because they dont have privey to all the rooms available!!!!!! He told me that whomever I talked to couldnt have possibly known for sure that it is maxed out and that she never should have told me that!!!! He suggested I call Guest Services in the morning because they might be more able to see how REALLY booked the Poly is. All this upsetness when it may not be maxed out at all!!!!

And no I didnt cancel the ressie until I talk to guest services tomorrow. I will decide then what to do.

Why do I feel like I should say.....Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of As the Mouse Turns!

Bob NC
08-11-2002, 07:59 PM
LOL...I've found out that CM's are supposed to treat the occupancy levels as secret info that they should guard with their life.

But...Isn't the week after T'giving supposed to be one of the busiest weeks of the year? I would go under the assumtion that all resorts will be slammed and plan from there.

lvs_eeyore
08-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Bob thats kind of what I am doing. Im going under the assumption that it really is slam booked and I will go from there. BTW THANK YOU for your explanation of the people pens on the other post. That was driving me crazy because no one knew what they were when I talked to CRO/WDWTC.

lvs_eeyore
08-12-2002, 06:03 PM
I spoke with Guest Services this morning and the VERY sweet lady I spoke to assured me that in NO WAY was the Poly maxed out for Thanksgiving Day Weekend. She felt so badly that I was told that and that I had been concerned for a few days over it. I mentioned that I was even willing to upgrade to concierge to get a garden view but had been unable to get one at the code rate I had or actually at ANY rate. The pixies were listening because she FOUND ONE!!!!! I am SO EXCITED!!! We are sticking to the Poly for this trip. I was so happy and so relieved this morning when I talked to her that I started to cry!

This is the same lady I spoke to last week when WDWTC messed up and instead of upgrading me to concierge on the August trip they RAISED my code rate and kept me in the same regular garden room category. I called back to have the notes on my ressie taken off my ressie a half hour after I had booked it and I found this out but by then there were no garden concierge rooms at my code rate when there had been a half hour before. Thankfully I mentioned to the girl that I was excited about staying in a concierge room. She said NO your not your regular garden view room. She asked me to hold and put me on with Guest Services and this lovely lady pulled a rabbit out of a hat that time too and got me the room.

zurgswife
08-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Glad to hear things worked out the way you really wanted....maybe next time you can try my fav...the AKL:D

lvs_eeyore
08-12-2002, 07:49 PM
zurgswife we will definitely be trying AKL. I really do want to stay there. I keep hoping they will come out with some good rates starting Jan 1. I might just change the Swan trip to an AKL trip. My kids dont go back until the 6th of Jan so I could still do a trip early Jan.

njDISNEYnut
08-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Keep your Resys at the Poly. Get PS for the restaurants you want. The Volcano Pool Complex is far better than that of the AKL. If you change, what will happen when the late comers book the AKL to the max???? You will regret the change.