PDA

View Full Version : Food at GF concierge- Royal Palm Club

Sister Scoop Disney
08-10-2002, 12:10 AM
It's only 14 days until check-in. Help us please!!!
Does anyone know what is currently (recently) served throughout the day (and times). We've read the "GF FAQ" thread that lists the concierges' offering in 2001. Has anything changed? Can you make a meal out of it? Can you take the food or beverages to your room or the pool....or do you have to consume in the concierge lounge?

WeLoveDisney
08-10-2002, 10:26 AM
I am in the process of writing a very detailed and long review about our recent 8-day stay at the Royal Palm Club. We were very disappointed and would not stay there again. It was the worst service we have ever received at Disney, even in standard rooms. While I'm still putting that review together, I'll give you the answer to your food question.

The food, when it was available, was ok. The problem was the poor service from the buffet servers and that the food was often not available, even when it was supposed to be. They ran out of many items mid-way through the hours of service, and they were never replenished. When we asked for the trays to be refilled, we were rudely told "they're G-O-N-E", or "If you want the good stuff get here earlier". I'm not talking about one or two items not being there - but empty trays. For example, when we came back from one of the theme parks at 1:30 looking for a snack on our way to our rooms, there were 3 cut up pieces of melon left on one tray and 2 other empty trays (that usually held cookies). When we asked if we could get a cookie we were told "They're G-O-N-E". (The afternoon service still had an hour to go). Tables were left uncleared and there were often times no places to sit. At one point I asked the server to clear a table for the four of us and she sighed at me. Another morning they were making fun of another guest's bathing suit after she walked by. I will be writing more over the next few days, but suffice it to say we were not only disappointed but also offended at the service we received. I was there with my entire family and my sister will also be posting about her experiences.

You asked specifically about the food offerings, so here you go:

Mornings - 6:30 - 10:30
There were continental breakfast type items - nothing hot but a good selection of pastry, cereals, breads, and bagels, and croissants. There were coffee, jucies, and a selection of teas. It was the same ever day. If I remember correctly in detail there were whole fruit (bananas, apples, and oranges), a bowl of cut up fruit (watermelon, melon, and grapes), Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, and Raisin Bran, plain bagles, white bread, wheat bread, cinnamon raisin bread (with a toaster), croissants, sticky buns, cheese danish, and apple danish, orange juice and grapefruit juice. There was also coffee and tea, and flavored syrups for the coffee. Also there was bottled water and bottled sparkling water. This was easily enough for a meal for the whole family.

Lunch time - 11:30 - 2:30
This was the most disappointing. We didnt see it every day, but when we did there was one day a plate of hummus and crackers and another day some stale chips and salsa. There were also brownies and cookies at the kids table. There was no way you could make a meal from this.

Tea time - (not sure of exact times - late afternoon
Scones and cookies (no finger sandwhiches as I read).

Cocktail time 5-7
The food for this serving time often ran out by 6. If you were there before 6, you could possibly eat enough to satisfy your hunger, if that is what you want to do for a meal, but it was not intended to be a meal. Most nights there were cut up vegatables, cheese and crackers, and one other item each night. These included: chicken stuffed with hot peppers, a cold roast beef salad, roasted pork slices, melon with proscuitto, and pate'. These items were all available on separate nights, so if you liked what they were serving, great, but if not you were left with vegatables. My teenagers who are picky eaters did not like any of the food, in fact my daughter was "reprimanded" by the server for eating the grape garnish from the cheese plate (she thought it was an item) because it was all she liked. There was a kid table that had one different item each night - pb&j on raisin bread, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, corn dogs. These were fine for smaller children but my kids were "stuck in the middle" wanting something other than kiddie food but didnt care for what was offered on the buffet.

Dessert time 8-10
This was where most items ran out and were not replenished. The cordials they had were often empty bottles. The servers replaced them when asked, but you first had to find ther server (not always easy). There were petit four type desserts, some good, nothing to rave about.

During the daytime they always had coffee, tea, pink lemonade, regular lemonade and bottled water out. It was all served iin pitchers and bottles. There were sodas available, but you had to find a buffet attendant and ask (again sounds easy but they were often not available). We ended up more than once drinking items from our mini bar, even though our rooms were closest to the concierge lounge. We just couldnt find anyone to serve us.

Again, I saw your post and wanted to respond promptly. I will be writing more details. Incidentally, my sister became so disillusioned in her stay that she checked out and switched to the Wilderness Lodge concierge where she said they could not be more accomodating and the food and service were much more plentiful. I believe she will be posting her comments about that as well.

Also, we read the other negative postings about RPC before we booked our trip. We discussed changing our reservations (we had 4 rooms), but we are big Disney fans. We thought that other posts were due to individaul preferences and that we would form our own opinion. We have all stayed at other Disney deluxe resorts (both concierge and non-concierge) and have always loved it. We thought if we could at least get that we would be happy. We in no way expected the rude and uncaring service we received.

WeLoveDisney
08-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I just saw your other question about taking food to the rooms/pool. There arent any rules against it, but it's really not convenient. Drinks are not availalble by bottle/can, only what you can pour into a 12 oz cup. You can take that cup with you with a lid. As far as food, it's served on real plates with silver, you could take it to your room (there are trays in the room), but it would be difficult to carry it to the pool.