PDA

View Full Version : World Cup!

Claire-Bear
05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Hi Guys

Do Orlando's TV stations play all UK WC games (anywhere I can find out?)? Do any of the restaurants/bars on Citywalk play World Cup UK games? Do you have to make a special request?

One match will be on whilst we're flying (we'll have to ask the flight attendants to radio in and find out the results!) and one will be on (23rd June 11am Orlando time) whilst we're at Universal Studios (so BF wants to pop out and see it at a local bar).

Thanks!

:rotfl2:

luke
05-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Don't worry, hopefully England will already have been dumped out by the time they play Slovenia on the 23rd ;)

:goodvibes

macca77
05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Well im hoping luke is very wrong with his prediction. Yes the world cup games are covered on espn in america or at least was last time we was their.
I watched a game in jimmy buffetts margaritaville. He will get to see it fine. Though i think the game actually starts at 10am us time.
Jimmy buffetts may not be open but they will be somewhere in the park to watch it, I know in ioa the bar next to duelling dragons shows the game also.

Cmon england.

nemmie
05-04-2010, 08:06 AM
I would call NBA City and/or the Nascar restaurants at City Walk to ask if they will be showing the game. Both have sports bars so you may be in luck.

I would of thought ESPN will be showing all the WC games.

Depending how far you want to pop out from universal you can guarantee that the English pubs on I drive will have it on. One of the English pubs, I think its called the George and Dragon is prob the closest about a 5 min drive from Universal. It's right next to Wet and Wild.

Claire-Bear
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Well im hoping luke is very wrong with his prediction. Yes the world cup games are covered on espn in america or at least was last time we was their.
I watched a game in jimmy buffetts margaritaville. He will get to see it fine. Though i think the game actually starts at 10am us time.
Jimmy buffetts may not be open but they will be somewhere in the park to watch it, I know in ioa the bar next to duelling dragons shows the game also.

Cmon england.

Only problem is Lost Continent is now plowed under WWOHP so not sure if they will be showing in Hogs Head pub? Would be great if they did being so close to where we want to be!! Since it's meant to be an English pub we'll have to hope!

I would call NBA City and/or the Nascar restaurants at City Walk to ask if they will be showing the game. Both have sports bars so you may be in luck.

I would of thought ESPN will be showing all the WC games.

Depending how far you want to pop out from universal you can guarantee that the English pubs on I drive will have it on. One of the English pubs, I think its called the George and Dragon is prob the closest about a 5 min drive from Universal. It's right next to Wet and Wild.
Great thanks for the info :) I'll call ahead and see what they say.

nemmie
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
We may of had more luck if it had been the Quidditch WC LOL LOL!
Saying that is IS supposed to be an English pub so you never know! :thumbsup2

macca77
05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Aslong as they still have a tv in their id near gurantee the game will be on, i watched bits of games their in 06, wife went on duelling dragons while i watched the football win win imo.

Claire-Bear
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
We may of had more luck if it had been the Quidditch WC LOL LOL!
Saying that is IS supposed to be an English pub so you never know! :thumbsup2

Haha yeah! Hopefully the wizarding world is interested in muggle sports!

Jordanblackpool
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Hooters will be showing everygame id have thought, cheap beer, cheap food...what more can you ask for!:cheer2:

Claire-Bear
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Hooters will be showing everygame id have thought, cheap beer, cheap food...what more can you ask for!:cheer2:

Hooters isn't really where I want to be going :rotfl: more of a guy thing. Plus it would be great to find somewhere v close by since we'll be in the parks that day :)

luke
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
There are some pubs on I drive, maybe Cricketers Arms? Some friends of ours went there to watch Chelsea V Liverpool when we were there last, whilst we were all in Magic Kingdom.
Personally I'd rather not bother with watching football while I'm in Orlando, as I've said before, I can watch football every week, I can't go to WDW/universal/sea world etc every week :)

natalielongstaff
05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
There are some pubs on I drive, maybe Cricketers Arms? Some friends of ours went there to watch Chelsea V Liverpool when we were there last, whilst we were all in Magic Kingdom.
Personally I'd rather not bother with watching football while I'm in Orlando, as I've said before, I can watch football every week, I can't go to WDW/universal/sea world etc every week :)

:lmao: im with you on this one !

Hope everyone who DOES want to watch the game finds a spot to catch it
:)

luke
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Yep, think this will be a good bet if you can't find anywhere at CityWalk, not a million miles away from Universal too :)

http://www.cricketersarmspub.com/

pfc123
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
and one will be on (23rd June 11am Orlando time) whilst we're at Universal Studios (so BF wants to pop out and see it at a local bar).

:rotfl2:

According to the schedule I have, England v. Slovenia is at 10am (Orlando time) on ESPN2. Every place will have that channel. The only problem I see you having is that there is also a USA match v. Algeria at the exact same time on ESPN. So you may need to find a place with multiple TVs. But I would bet that every place in City Walk will be showing World Cup.

And to those with family wanting to watch world cup in Orlando. Yes, football (soccer) is on almost weekly but world cup only comes around every 4 years! :yay:

nemmie
05-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Normally I would agree and I would be more than a little miffed if I had to watch footie whilst in the States. However I feel like the World Cup is a little different and also even as a non footie fan I actually start getting really excited about the games as we go on. I would feel a bit mean denying hubby the chance to watch such a huge tournement. He's a sports fanatic so I also have to put up with all the golf majors, F1, cricket and even snooker lol.

luke
05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Would be great if the USA won!!!

macca77
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Nemie you sound like my wife, im a sports nut also mainly football and nfl though.
World cup is diffrent to the normal weekly games as it brings the alot more people together supporting the 1 team and makes for great atmospheres in the bars out their.
We went to the sports bar when england last played in the world cup was a really good day, actually was thinking off going back to america during the world cup but changed to september.
Wife though she doesnt admit it yet loves the world cup also, just not the nite we usually go out on as i sulk.

luke
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
And our nations saviour Sir Wayne of Rooneyshire seems to have picked up an injury today, maybe it won't finally be England's year ;)

Claire-Bear
05-10-2010, 05:08 AM
And our nations saviour Sir Wayne of Rooneyshire seems to have picked up an injury today, maybe it won't finally be England's year ;)

For someone from the UK you seem to be pretty against the England team :confused3

Come on England! :goodvibes

macca77
05-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Well said claire cmon england.
Rooney will be fine in as months time dont you worry about that.

CustardTart
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
For someone from the UK you seem to be pretty against the England team :confused3

Come on England! :goodvibes
:thumbsup2

Well said claire cmon england.
Rooney will be fine in as months time dont you worry about that.
http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gif

I found this TV schedule (http://www.worldcupbuzz.com/world-cup-tv-schedule/) for the World Cup games... :goodvibes

luke
05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Lol yep ABE for me, Anyone But England ;)

always quite fancy Spain for these tournaments as lived there for a year, quite like Argentina too :)

I DO love the world cup tho, can't wait for it to start :)

wickesy
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Just seen this on the Disney Parks blog which might help all those who want to watch games while they are out there:

Then, next month, Walt Disney World Resort becomes one of only a few official World Cup viewing locations. Fans can catch live World Cup action on ESPN at ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill from the opening game June 11 as well as attend special viewing parties from the Round of 16 matches until the title match (June 26-July 10). The parties feature guaranteed seating and an all-you-care-to-eat buffet that includes Buffalo wings, hot dogs, fruit, salads, a nacho bar, desserts and non-alcoholic drinks – all for $19.99 per person, per game (plus tax). There will also be a special viewing area for the championship match July 11.

Reservations can be made starting May 27 by calling (407) WDW-DINE or going to espnwwos.com.

Helen B
05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
We fly out on the day the World Cup starts, so will be in Orlando for England vs USA (already have our new England shirts.) Hopefully we will be watching at the Orlando Ale House in Lake Buena Vista. It's on the junction of SR535, Palm Parkway and Vineland Road.

It's great sports bar, loads of screens, it's bound to be on one of them.

Try the Chicken Wings :)

Claire-Bear
05-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks for that custard tart :)

Helen, yeah I'm going to buy a Union Jack top this weekend to wear for the England game in Universal (23rd)! I'll phone ahead at the parks along with Citywalk to see what our options are :)

nemmie
05-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks for that custard tart :)

Helen, yeah I'm going to buy a Union Jack top this weekend to wear for the England game in Universal (23rd)! I'll phone ahead at the parks along with Citywalk to see what our options are :)

I'll say Hi if we happen to see you :)

Claire-Bear
05-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah do :D

Claire-Bear
05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
We've bought our England tops which we'll also wear at the parks on 23rd!

luke
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh dear oh dear ;)

seriously tho, you will absolutely swelter in a football shirt!!

Claire-Bear
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I presume you won't be wearing one luke :rotfl:

It's the short sleeved aerated top, it won't be too bad :goodvibes:

luke
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
:lmao: I've got myself an Argentina T Shirt for the world cup :)

even the short sleeved ones can get quite sweaty, make sure you drink even more fluids etc than normal :)

Claire-Bear
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Yup should've seen that coming :rotfl:

Ok I'll bear that in mind :) I'll take a strappy top in our rucksack with us.

luke
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Good plan :)

glad you see it as a bit of banter tho, I have nothing against England fans even tho I'm not one myself :)

Claire-Bear
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Nah of course not, just healthy competition :goodvibes:

UKDEB
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
ESPN/ABC have the TV rights in the US for the first time, so it'll be easy to find on one of the channels in your accommodation. Whilst it's also the NBA and NHL finals at the same time, as well as baseball season, you won't have any trouble finding somewhere to watch the matches. Anywhere with multiple screens will always be happy to tune one of their channels to anything you want to watch - you just need to ask - but that's unlikely to be necessary for the World Cup. From what you say, you're literally going to want to walk out of Universal Studios and then return to the park afterwards, in which case my choice would be the Nascar Sports Grille - we really like it since the re-vamp.

This (http://www.orlandoinfo.com/media/uk/release/10/worldcup.cfm) is an interesting article from the Orlando CVB. Obviously it's by no means a definitive list, but it's a start.

Claire-Bear
05-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks so much for the article Deb, it looks like Finnegan's in US will be showing the game, which is especially handy for us since that's the park we'll be in! Means going to Typhoon Lagoon on an EMH day (since we had to swap days), but oh well I guess!

I think if we were at Typhoon Lagoon there wouldn't be anyway to watch the game.