PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic ash clouds, here we go again!!!

Obi Wan Kenobi
05-03-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0503/ash.html
Irish airspace to close from 7am tomorrow

disneyholic family
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
world is falling apart at the seams.... :eek:

Miss Mo
05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!!

We still have 10 weeks but I'm wanting this whole thing to go away!!!!

mo x

2Tiggies
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was a cruel wind-up - honestly! Then I saw Obi had posted it and realised it wouldn't be. :sad2:

They did say this could go on periodically for a year or so.

scottishgirl87
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Really not liking where this is going :(

Netty
05-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting Obi :thumbsup2
ohhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooo :sad2:

kristieuk
05-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Blimey, what a nightmare. The uncertainty is enough to cause chaos and panic. Lots of best wishes to those due to fly :wizard:

Pegasus928
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
After all the test flights, and threats of legal action from the airline companies against the governments, I would be amazed if it got to the same levels of chaos that many experienced last time.
I'm 100% sure that passenger safety will always come first but I genuinely do think they have more reliable data with which to make better informed decisions than they had a few weeks ago.

ClareH37
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
It's due to some 'dense' ash apparently (i.e. above the updated tolerances) - there's not actually much of this new 'dense' ash but under the EU regs they have to put a no fly zone in place including a 60 mile buffer.

Fingers crossed this clears and we all get to fly away :goodvibes

Tinks1984
05-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh I so don't want to read this :sad1: I'm already stressed up leading up to our trip as it is, I really can't contend with thinking about volcanic ash :sad1: I hope it does go away soon...

2Tiggies
05-03-2010, 04:16 PM
After all the test flights, and threats of legal action from the airline companies against the governments, I would be amazed if it got to the same levels of chaos that many experienced last time.
I'm 100% sure that passenger safety will always come first but I genuinely do think they have more reliable data with which to make better informed decisions than they had a few weeks ago.

Here's hoping :worship:

ChipnDaleRule
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
OMG,just when my spirits were lifted,my stomach is churning again,i cant cope with all this uncertainty.We fly in 15 days and their is just no way of being sure any more:confused:This volcano is making me feel sick now!

Cyrano
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Hope this is the case Kenny :thumbsup2

disneyholic family
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
aren't there stranded people who have just arrived back in the UK this week?

i remember people saying they were scheduled to finally get flights back the first week of May, which would be now...

have they all made it back?

jockey
05-04-2010, 01:47 AM
I can't believe it's back aghhh!

TOONMADLAD
05-04-2010, 01:47 AM
This latest cloud is just affecting the european flights that fly under 20,000 feet, the Transatlantic flights are operating at normal levels due them flying above this level, so no need to get too stressed just yet guys.

Peter.

strawberry blonde
05-04-2010, 01:53 AM
This latest cloud is just affecting the european flights that fly under 20,000 feet, the Transatlantic flights are operating at normal levels due them flying above this level, so no need to get too stressed just yet guys.

Peter.

They've just announced this on GMTV news and said flights to the USA etc are fine at the moment.

Hilary
05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
My suitcase is packed for the third time, hoping to fly out to Orlando on Thursday :rolleyes1 :bored:

original flight 17 April = cancelled,
rescheduled flight 23 April = cancelled,
rescheduled again 6 May = ??

I think we need some pixiedust: ;)

nemmie
05-04-2010, 03:43 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8658738.stm

Flights are resuming at 1300.

I totally agree that last time this was an known force of nature and now the authorities do have more info and knowledge so I don't think the volcano will ever ground flights indefinately again. I do believe that further disruption could ensue though and my pixie dust is with all of you flying soon :)

Lindy Loo
05-04-2010, 04:25 AM
My suitcase is packed for the third time, hoping to fly out to Orlando on Thursday :rolleyes1 :bored:

original flight 17 April = cancelled,
rescheduled flight 23 April = cancelled,
rescheduled again 6 May = ??

I think we need some pixiedust: ;)

Hilary, we are the same as you !
Original flight 15th April cancelled
Rescheduled flight 19th April cancelled
Rescheduled flight 20th April cancelled

LAST attempt at a flight 6th May !

Fingers crossed to all that fly ..... x

strawberry blonde
05-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Keeping everything crossed that you both get away this week pixiedust:pixiedust:

Twilight Terror
05-04-2010, 06:17 AM
I should imagine that this kind of thing will continue until the volcano stops spewing stuff, but unlike the blanket band before, they will be able to target the no-fly zones and keep them no-fly zones for as short a time as possible, just like they have with Ireland now - shut overnight, but now opening up again. Good luck to all of us flying this week - myself included! :snooty::scared:

Hilary
05-04-2010, 06:58 AM
LAST attempt at a flight 6th May !

Fingers crossed to all that fly ..... x

Good luck to all of us flying this week - myself included! :snooty::scared:

Fingers crossed for everyone hoping to fly in the near future! :thumbsup2

scottishgirl87
05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
It's the not knowing that's killing me :(

I really don't know what we'll do if we can't go Monday!

natalielongstaff
05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Fingers crossed for everyone hoping to fly in the near future! :thumbsup2

yes indeed :wizard:

scottishgirl87
05-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Scottish and Irish airspace closed tomorrow :sad2:

Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Volcano-Ash-Ireland-And-Scotland-Airspaces-Closed-As-Ash-Cloud-Returns/Article/201005115624505?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_ 0&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15624505_Volcano_Ash%3A_Ir eland_And_Scotland_Airspaces_Closed_As_Ash_Cloud_R eturns)

I constantly have that sick feeling at the bottom of my stomach :sick:

london75
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Sorry, my mistake it is tomorrow as well.

Here as well http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8661096.stm

2Tiggies
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Just unbelievable! :sad2:It better clear up - there are quite a few DISers on her who I have got to know through this boards who are travelling soon. I really, really want them to be able to go. :grouphug:Also the last week is the best part of the countdown and it is just wrong to have it ruined with worry.

Twilight Terror
05-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I constantly have that sick feeling at the bottom of my stomach :sick:

Me too! My mum keeps telling me not to worry, but how can I not?! This is the third year in a row we've tried to squeeze in an extra May holiday, but something in the past has always meant we couldn't even get as far as booking. Now we have been booked for over a year, and now some volcano is casting a dark shadowy cloud (pun intended!) over our heads! :(

howlongtillsummer?
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I think delays are more likely than cancellations now - which should be much more hopeful. ALl my best to everyone :wizard:

Twilight Terror
05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I think delays are more likely than cancellations now - which should be much more hopeful. ALl my best to everyone :wizard:

Here's hoping! And that the wind continues to blow in a favorable direction - like from here right back to Iceland!

eddiemcgarrigle
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Edinburgh airport to reopen at 19:00 and up until it closed today, it was receiving transatlantic passengers from Prestwick and Glasgow and flying them out. I don't mind a little hour long journey along the M8 as long as I'm still Florida bound.

scottishgirl87
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Edinburgh airport to reopen at 19:00 and up until it closed today, it was receiving transatlantic passengers from Prestwick and Glasgow and flying them out. I don't mind a little hour long journey along the M8 as long as I'm still Florida bound.

I've heard of people being bussed to Newcastle and so on.

I really would do it if it meant getting there, however, I don't think I'll get that option flying with Continental.

The whole thing is making me ill :sick: Can't concentrate and in work I'm constantly checking the latest. It's the not knowing that's killing me :(

ChipnDaleRule
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Two weeks to go,and normally i would have started to pack now,but i feel if i start packing i am tempting fate.i still have things to buy but im scared to:confused3. Usually i worry about one of the kids getting ill or something like that but this time it is REALLY out of my hands.

Somebody put me to sleep and wake me up when we're mid Atlantic:sick:

pixiedust:pixiedust: Sending this to all those travelling really soon.

Cyrano
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Friends were due to fly out tomorrow to Gatwick and then onward to Orlando.
Taking no chances they will be heading down to London in the rail sleeper tonight in 40 mins.

Hope everyone else's travel plans come good :)