PDA

View Full Version : Birthday phone message??

GEM
08-09-2002, 11:44 AM
"Is it the birthday of someone you are traveling with? Dial 0 on your WDW hotel room phone and ask for the special Happy Birthday Message"

I found this information on the WDWIG web site. Has anybody done this? How does it work? What's it like? Is it an automated message, like the wake-up call?

KellyJ
08-09-2002, 11:51 AM
We didn't do this in exactly this manner, but I'm guessing it was probably the same service...

We were in Innoventions on a VERY slow day and there were several CM's just standing around talking to us. When they discovered that it was my 2yr old's birthday, they took us over to a phone, dialed a few numbers and let her listen to a special birthday message from Goofy. A security guard in the Magic Kingdom offered to do the same thing for my 13yr old, but she wasn't too interested...

Kelly

Figment2
08-09-2002, 12:59 PM
I went to pick up a Happy Birthday button from guest services in City hall at MK. The cast member walked over to a phone, dialed a few numbers and said it's for you. It's very cute.

Cyn

DisneyHumbug
08-09-2002, 02:45 PM
We were in the gift shop at the Poly and the CM saw my DD's birthday button. She called her over to the phone and called Goofy for her!! My DD was pleasantly surprised. That was so nice.

10drum
08-09-2002, 02:55 PM
If you let the resort know about the birthday, they'll do all sorts of things throughout your stay. Our dd turned 14 last May, when we were there and just about everyday when we'd come back from the parks, there would be balloons, cards and notes wishing her a happy birthday.

KellyJ
08-09-2002, 03:01 PM
I did want to mention that whether or not the resorts do anything for a birthday seems to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

We were at the Contemporary on my daughter's 6th birthday and they did deliver autographed pics and even a small cake on her birthday. I believe there might have been some balloons too.

This past Jan. at the Beach Club, it was that daughter's 13th bday and our youngest daughter's 2nd birthday. Even though we'd told the front desk and had it listed on our reservation, the girls received no special attention in any way.

While it never hurts to mention special occasions and hope for the best, don't EXPECT something to be done because it might just set you up for disappointment.

Kelly

DisneyHumbug
08-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Yes, some resorts do something special for birthdays, some do not. We were at BCV in July for my DD's Sweet 16. It was on the reservation and the CM who checked us in said something about tomorrow being a special day. But she received nothing!!!
Last Jan. my DB was at WL and he received something on his birthday!

Janet2k
08-12-2002, 02:45 AM
From the WDW "official" website regarding birthdays (link (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/home/faqindex?id=WDWGeneralFAQGrping#WDWBirthdayFAQ)):

- - - - - - -
Q. Is there anything special I can plan for a birthday or special occasion?

A. A variety of activities are available at our Resort to help make birthdays more special and memorable. For instance, your family may wish to dine with the Disney characters at one of our many character breakfasts, lunches, or dinners. Call (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) to find out more about how to create a memorable celebration for your birthday or special occasion.
- - - - - - -

RuthAnne123
08-12-2002, 04:04 AM
Well I hate to agree with the above post but we were there for my sons 13th birthday and we let them know it was and there was not one hint of anything at all.

We even put in for a birthday wake up call ( yes DS still likes these things even if not as much as younger years) and the call never came.

I know they don't have to do it but ...........two doors down from our room a girl who was turning 13 too told DS she had a cake and balloons waiting for her when she got back from the parks.

I would have been happy with just the wake up call going through okay. I don't know but the overall service this trip just seemed kind of lackluster. We still made it a point to have a wonderful time and we did but I might consider staying off site in the future if Disney resorts feel as much like any old hotel as they did this time.Maybe it was because we got a special rate with a code?

I don't know how it works really. I guess you might get the royal Disney treatment or nothing at all.

Rooth