PDA

View Full Version : Home Sweet Hotel Room... Making your hotel room more like home!

AKL_Megs
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
What do you do to make your hotel room feel more like home?

I know people bring blankets and pillows from home. Some people bring those shoe organizers to hold toiletries.

What other things do YOU do?

Natbug123
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Being a local staying at the hotel doesn't happen much, but when we do stay at Disney (like what were doing next month) I usually bring pillows blankets even go as far as sheets and all my toiletries, but I usually bring a video gaame console or DVD player to do on those moments at night that you should be sleeping but to excited to do it.

crabbygal902
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I bring:

nightlights for finding the bathroom in the middle of the night
bottles of wine and a corkscrew for a nightcap after the kids are in bed
crackers and cheese to go along with that wine
soft drinks to keep in the fridge instead of running down to the refillable mug station every time someone wants a drink
instant oatmeal that I make with hot water from the coffee maker to keep my kids' morning routines the same as home
a power strip for recharging cell phones, cameras, etc.
Magnets for hanging up itineraries and family messages on the room door
a plastic cup for holding toothbrushes so that they won't be sitting on the (potentially) yucky bathroom countertop
A plastic step stool so that DS4 can reach the sink to brush his teeth and wash his hands on his own
Free samples of coffees and teas to try that I order online and save for the trip
Flashlight/candles/matches, and a deck of cards--in case of emergency
Clothespins--to hang up wet bathing suits
Clorox wipes--to wipe down the remote and door handles

Wow! We really move in and make ourselves at home, don't we?

snarlingcoyote
04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm massively unworried about germs and such from unknowns in hotel rooms.

So, we carry for the room:

Dirty Clothes Hamper - the pop-up kind that fold flat
Hanging sweater shelves for the closet that fold flat
Power strip(s)
Cooling/lap platform for a laptop
Community Dark Roast
Couch throw/lap blanket/afghan (actually, I bring this for the trip -we drive it - as the DH likes to keep the car cold enough to hang meat, but it's also nice to have when we get there - we use these at night when one person throws off the covers and the other person wants a blanket.)
Clips to keep the curtains on the sliders closed.

When we get to Florida we buy:
soft drinks
breakfasts
snacks
extra hangers
anything we forgot to pack!

DisGirl23
04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
pop up hamper
small pop up box to hold all the chargers (phones, ipods, cameras)
travel ipod speakers
magazine
travel battleship and connect 4
snacks and crystal light drink packs
Dunkin Donuts coffee, coffee mate and splenda (I'll purchase a new mug on arrival day to use during the trip that will turn into the morning mug when we come home.)

perfectparanoia
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
My number one thing to do is to unpack completely and not look at our bags the rest of the trip.

My number two is to bring toothbrush holders. Just feels more like home to grab your toothbrush out of the holder to me.

noahdove
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I always take air freshners in the packet,like you find in AC Moore. One for the room and one for the bathroom:) I also take a candle and burn it while I am in the room....I love the fresh smell.. I also take a lavendar spray for the bedding, nothing like having a soothing and calming scent once we are in bed...don't forget the peppermint foot cream to apply just as you are getting into bed:)

familyfirsttimer
04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
We bring a few Command hooks (you know the kind that you peel off the adhesive without residue) to use for bathing suits or sweatshirts. Clears off the shower bar when 4 people need to use it!

Pop Up hamper-put it under the sink

Extra Ziploc bags for open snacks when you return from the park or from our grocery order.

Call Mousekeeping as soon as you check in and ask for extra hangers, helps to not have to try to hang 3 outfits on one hanger!

Shoe holder for toiletries that we hang from the towel rack for all of our toiltetries...reall helps!

Room spray-we use the Bath and Body works, small container and helps with mustiness or bathroom odors

freshlybarked
04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
We only bring one thing and it is a must have for us anytime we stay at Disney -- the RV. We take home with us and wouldn't have it any other way.

PolyndianPrincessJes
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who brings my own bedding. :laughing: I invest a lot in sheets, and I love the feel of them at the end of a long day in the parks. The kids don't care, so I just bring their pillowcases (Disney, of course!). We also bring our own toiletries, and I really make the bathroom/vanity area my own. DS brings a bag of toys for the room. DNiece is at home anywhere as long as she has her DSi. :upsidedow

tsmack78
04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
This thread is great! I though that I took everything with me already, but now I have a few more things to add to my list. The over the door shoe organizer is a MUST, to keep all the bathroom stuff in. I also buy the hangers with the clip already on them for the wet swimming clothes. Keep the input coming.

indimom
04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
We normally would just live from our suitcases and NOT "move in."

BUT

On this trip, we are staying two weeks and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it. So we're hanging all our clothes and putting the suitcases back in the trunk. I'm bringing two pop up hampers for dirty laundry, two shoe holders (one for shoes, one for toiletries), and two pop-up bins for our socks, undies, etc. to put up on the shelf above our clothes.
We're staying at Pop, so I'm also bringing a tension rod and curtain for the bathroom area so we have some privacy for dressing. I may bring a power cord to keep all the chargable items in one area. We're also taking part in a fridge swap and bringing breakfast/snack foods. I'm going to use the dresser for our kitchen area.

We are definitely moving in. Hopefully this will make it more manageable for a lengthy trip! :banana:

dzorn
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Does DD's leaving the dirty clothes on the floor count:rotfl2:It's just like home.

We buy foam soap for the bathroom for a more serious answer.

Denise in MI

kristinlynn
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
At home, I always like to keep fresh flowers in our kitchen (just the $5 bunches you can buy at the grocery store), so last time we had a long stay at BCV I bought a bunch at the grocery store and cut a hole in a large water bottle and took the label off and used it as a vase. Just something to freshen up the room and make it feel more like home. I also bring tape and a scissors, you never know when you need things like that.

I never thought about the shoe organizer ... I just might add that to my packing list. I can just see DH rolling his eyes now. He still laughs at me every time I pull out the pop-up hamper.

In the DVC stuido rooms, where are the best places to hang the shoe organizers? Do they fit over the bathroom door?

DisneyDorkORama
04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
We bring a few Command hooks (you know the kind that you peel off the adhesive without residue) to use for bathing suits or sweatshirts. Clears off the shower bar when 4 people need to use it!

Pop Up hamper-put it under the sink

Extra Ziploc bags for open snacks when you return from the park or from our grocery order.

Call Mousekeeping as soon as you check in and ask for extra hangers, helps to not have to try to hang 3 outfits on one hanger!

Shoe holder for toiletries that we hang from the towel rack for all of our toiltetries...reall helps!

Room spray-we use the Bath and Body works, small container and helps with mustiness or bathroom odors

What?? Why didnt I think of that! That would have totally solved our laundry issue! :rotfl:

mousebymarriage
05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
We bring:

-2 pop up hampers, 1 for lights 1 for darks (purchased at the dollar store)
-hanging "shoe"organizer for storing toiletries (purchased at the dollar store)
-plastic clothes pins (purchased at the dollar store. Holds drapes closed tightly and great for hanging wet swimsuits)
-power strip (for charging cell phones, cameras, ipod etc.)
-clorox wipes (for cleaning the phone, remote, table etc.)
-night light (so noone crashes into the furniture on the way to the bathroom)
-air freshener for the bathroom (4 people 1 tiny room...need I say more)
-case of water and misc snacks (no problem if we drive down)
-pillows (everyone likes to sleep on their regular pillow,feels like home)
-table top fan (because we are addicted to the noise when we sleep)

*it all fits very nicely (I don't put the water or snacks in) a regular sized rubber maid container. It's easy to pack and just shove in the back of the minivan. I also put a few beach towels in the container because we like them better than the small resort towels for the pool and waterpark.

marypoppinswannabe
05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
We normally would just live from our suitcases and NOT "move in."

BUT

On this trip, we are staying two weeks and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it. So we're hanging all our clothes and putting the suitcases back in the trunk. I'm bringing two pop up hampers for dirty laundry, two shoe holders (one for shoes, one for toiletries), and two pop-up bins for our socks, undies, etc. to put up on the shelf above our clothes.
We're staying at Pop, so I'm also bringing a tension rod and curtain for the bathroom area so we have some privacy for dressing. I may bring a power cord to keep all the chargable items in one area. We're also taking part in a fridge swap and bringing breakfast/snack foods. I'm going to use the dresser for our kitchen area.

We are definitely moving in. Hopefully this will make it more manageable for a lengthy trip! :banana:

In regards to the tension rod and curtain, I stayed in building 9 at the Pop last month and they had a curtain already hung up between the room and the sink area. It might not be with this way with all of the rooms, but would be worth checking out.

DVC mom
05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, we have all this too and an Owner's Locker so we pack it once and forget it! It stays in WDW and we now pack ONE bag with clothes. I have not picked these up yet but I am on the look out for about 5 tan colored fabric boxes that fold flat to keep kitechen and bathroom stuff organized in them.

We added...
binoculars for AK
all lanyards, backpacks, and misc. park gear
rain gear
a small organizer plastic box with bandaids, q tips, cotton balls and another for OTC meds with the expiration dates listed.
sunscreen
various personal items without scent or color due to allergies
free and clear laundry detergent
light jacket

dancer4life22
05-02-2010, 02:01 PM
wow i dont do any of this i dont know why...

im gonna have to bring a nightlight i NEED light when i sleep but im the only one so i usually sleep on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom and leave the light on and the door open a crack. it also helps for getting up but a nightlight would be so much easier!

last time i brought my own blanket but it took up so much room so unless i have the extra room i wont be taking that again!

i have my stufffed animals. bahaha i NEED them in order to sleep. idk y though because usually they end up on my floor!

tiggerfan9984
05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm massively unworried about germs and such from unknowns in hotel rooms.

So, we carry for the room:

Dirty Clothes Hamper - the pop-up kind that fold flat
Hanging sweater shelves for the closet that fold flat
Power strip(s)
Cooling/lap platform for a laptop
Community Dark Roast
Couch throw/lap blanket/afghan (actually, I bring this for the trip -we drive it - as the DH likes to keep the car cold enough to hang meat, but it's also nice to have when we get there - we use these at night when one person throws off the covers and the other person wants a blanket.)
Clips to keep the curtains on the sliders closed.

When we get to Florida we buy:
soft drinks
breakfasts
snacks
extra hangers
anything we forgot to pack!

LOL. I didn't even have to look to see where you were from when I saw that.