PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hide their addiction????

lovintheland
04-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Just wondered, we are planning our third "once in a lifetime trip" and are afraid to tell anyone. People just don't understand our love of Disney. They certainly couldn't understand when we went for a second time last year. So this year I don't even want to tell. Is anyone else in the same boat???

aussietravellers
04-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Just wondered, we are planning our third "once in a lifetime trip" and are afraid to tell anyone. People just don't understand our love of Disney. They certainly couldn't understand when we went for a second time last year. So this year I don't even want to tell. Is anyone else in the same boat???

Sadly yes! When I told my family we were going to WDW in September they said, "what are you going there again for? You went there a couple of years ago, twice?" and you went in December! Well no, not exactly true, yes we went to WDW in 2008 and Disneyland Paris in 2008 and Disneyland in Anaheim in December, so... WDW is 9 months after going to Disneyland and its a different place! It's too hard trying to explain the addiction if they don't have it :lmao:

Luisa
04-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Nope, not at all. If someone doesn't like that I'm 'going again?!' too bad for them, they aren't paying for it neither am I forcing them to go. I mean, god forbid I spend my hard earned money going somewhere besides a cheap beer fueled trip to Bali etc where I'll see nothing but the inside of a bar and meet no one but drunk Aussies.....:)

aussiemickeys
04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
We have had a corner shop for years & years, so know & chat to a great many people each day. I have found that the great majority are happy for us, but you are always going to get a very few that will make snide comments. Frankly, now it is like water off a ducks back, because if those few people weren't being nasty about that, it would be about something else.

Personally though I can't understand that way of being like that, as I know I am THRILLED for anyone who gets to go away (even if just for a weekend away camping or something). I love talking to everyone about their plans & trips & if they bring photos back for us to see, I am in heaven!

It is so funny though - sometimes the girls at the local travel agent will book someone on a Disney holiday & then send them down to us for any tips & hints. I love those days!

Also, if our customers suddenly see us out walking each day (trying madly to get a bit fitter in time for all that Disney walking), they will come in & ask "another trip coming up?" They know us so well!

Ms. Shuttergirl
04-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Hahahahaha Aussiemickeys, too funny about the walking.

Well we have only been the once and I am constantly talking about going again and most people just pretend they didn't hear me I'm sure. Esp my DH :lmao:. But he can only ignore me so long, and then I've got him where I want him:rotfl2:

aussiegirls
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Yes, I think I do too.

We are going back in November/December and the only people that know are 2 girlfriends and the DIS :lmao: (shhhhh guys, don't tell anyone ok!!) I can just imagine right now the comments coming from certain people that I could be spending my money on other things and that if I have so much money to spend I should be getting some culture into my kids instead (as in take them to China or London :scared: ).

So I will eventually tell them all. But only when my girls know first. And they will know as soon as I can figure out a super special way to tell them :thumbsup2

xxx

PrincessInOz
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Almost my whole family is Disney obsessed, so we can talk all we want at home without feeling guilty or embarrassed. We don't tell anyone else, though. Unless they are bitten by the mousebug, there's no way anyone else would understand.

Going to Disney has gotten a whole lot easier when we had DS...we just blame it on him. :rotfl2:

ehsmum
04-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Well we haven't been yet (I've been to both DL and WDW but this is DH and the kids first time), but people are confused as to why we are going to both. Even some that we are travelling with (going over with others from my daughter's dancing school) don't get why we're going to DL as well when we are all going to WDW. I just say there is no way we could go to California and not visit Disneyland. No way.

We have friends who go to Bali or Phuket every single year and I don't get it. That's just not my thing. I don't criticise them for it though.

Jade+3
04-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, I do. A few friends know we are going again next year. Most people (including DH) don't 'get' Disney, and think we are crazy for going to back. I also get sick of the comments about being 'rich' (which we are definitely not), so I tend to keep my travel plans to myself.

paulasillars
04-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I really don't care what anyone says or thinks. Who really cares if they think I'm weird or wasting my money?

As far as I'm concerned they can all go and get ... oh better not say that, its not very Disney :rotfl:

Sugarglider
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I find that people don't really "get" disney either. I don't hide it - in fact this year at work I decided to embrace it. People don't really care actually. The only problem I suspect I have is that I lose some of my "seriousness" with the management. so I've decided to do a presentation - I work for a R&D place with a thousand scientists and we have "insight seminars" every week in our theatrette. As the Leadership Manager I'm gonna do a Disney Approach to Leadership presentation open to any staff. :teacher: That way I can give them all those really fine points of distinction and detail that are what makes Disney magical to me! :rotfl:

BecBennett
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm loud and proud!! :lmao:

Everyone knows, and if they don't they soon will.

Aust
04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I haven't told a huge amount of people about my DL trip in January (which will be my 2nd) - mainly because I am going without my kids (the 2 oldest will be in Phuket with my inlaws and the youngest at home with DH). Some people I have told think I'm strange choosing to go there instead of to a tropical island or whatever, but I can't wait to go back!! And my sister and neice are coming with me so I can convert them too!!

jade1
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
We went to Australia for 3 weeks 2 years ago-loved it, could live there. But WDW would have to be a yearly thing still for us, theres WDW-and then theres everything else. :wizard:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/jademn/Australia792-1.jpg

Saskiwi
04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
We spent 6 days at DL last year and got a few "6 days???What are you going to do there for that long???" comments.
We are now planning another 'trip of a lifetime' for next year and no doubt will get some similar comments.

I just downloaded the Tiki Room theme as my ringtone (lots of good free DL ones on phonezoo.com) and most of my friends don't know what it is and think it's very odd, but it makes me smile everytime I hear it...

queenie82
04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
We spent 6 days at DL last year and got a few "6 days???What are you going to do there for that long???" comments.
We are now planning another 'trip of a lifetime' for next year and no doubt will get some similar comments.

I just downloaded the Tiki Room theme as my ringtone (lots of good free DL ones on phonezoo.com) and most of my friends don't know what it is and think it's very odd, but it makes me smile everytime I hear it...I don't really discuss it with people but I have fantasmic as my ringtone for one family member, haunted mansion ghost host for another, the electrical parade for another. Then I have as alarms soarin, legend of mythica (Tokyo disneysea), and for when I need to make sure I really do hear it.
The Disney Cruise line horns.
If you have an iphone and mac you can create ring tones from any mp3 in Garage Band.

It is my way of disneyfying my life :) in a more 'subtle' way as people have no idea what it is unless they are disney fans.

becpee
05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't hide my addiction and most people go with it.

I talk to my customers about it and they loved hearing about our Disney trip.

We're auctioning our house in a few weeks and i'm thinking of asking DH if we get a good price could we fit in a small trip??

Oz-kateer
05-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Absolutely YES I do hide it and I'm so glad that other people do this as well.

I'm also sick of the snide "you must be rich" remarks - especially because I'm a single parent and so a lot of folks assume I live on some sort of government handouts, which is NOT true - I work full time!

I'm just careful with the pennies and budget carefully. I also reserach prices to within an inch of my life - if I can save just $50 I will.

The kids don't know we're going this time, so I'm beeping it a secret from pretty much everyone, even my boss. Only the DIS-ers and my TA know!

Oz-kateer
05-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Double post!

platypus67
05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't worry what anyone thinks. I used to try to explain it but don't bother anymore. After all, it's my money and I will "waste" it however I like.:)

heidispidi
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
OK, so I haven't got to DL yet. (Unless you count a day at Tokyo DL as a 15 year old - tired, missing my family, and broke). However, I've heard the few comments that were thrown my sister's way when she sqaid she wanted to go back, mainly from our older brother. I don't think he's been to DL, so how would he know whether it was worth going back to or not?

I think it's great that Aust and I will be there together with my DD - she knows all the tricks etc that will make our time there even more enjoyable. Oh, and if it wasn't for her wanting to go back, I wouldn't have contemplated it ever, and now I'm hooked!

My mantra: People suck! Especially Disney-haters!

kazbar
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't say I hide it but I have noticed some family members rolling their eyes when we start talking about it so i don't usually bring it up anymore.

When ever anyone makes one of those "it must be nice to have all that money to throw around" or "you must be rich" comments I just reply that some people choose to spend their money on an extravagant lifestyle of restaurants and nice clothes but we prefer to concentrate on our mortage and travel.

It works especially well for my single sister who is always at the fabulous places dressed in uber-designer gear.

BrizMarc
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I hide it a bit, Most my friends think my collection of Disney dvds is a bit weird and would never get the obsession with the themeparks and other stuff. I guess if I had friends into Disney as well it would help. Thats where online communities are great.

dollarmite
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't think many of my friends and family 'get it'. Most of them don't seem to know or understand that WDW and DL are 2 separate places. If they do, they have no idea where WDW is. I think they think the names are interchangeable for the one place.
:confused3

We're going to Hong Kong in December/January. I'll probably mention to people that we'll be going to HKD whilst we're there but I doubt they'll (a) realise it even exists, or (b) care. Even my 13 year old DS doesn't care.:scared1:

Thankfully my penpal (of 30 years) in Singapore, who we'll be seeing on the way over, loves Disney and has been to HKD a few times, so at least 1 person shares my enthusiasm.:cheer2:

shushh
05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I openly declare my love for Disney. My close friends and family know its part of who I am, thankfully some of them like Disney as well! My wider social circle though and people that I meet don't get it. And so that's why I enjoy the DISboards so much!

darren123
05-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Being a a Disney fan is a little bit hard for me to hide as I have Mickey tattooed on my forearm and a few other Disney themed tattoos, as for family and friends I let them bring up the subject. It really does not bother us what they think or say.

Oglet
05-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I believe many aussies just don't fully understand how huge WDW really is until they have been.

I work there and play there when im not at work, honestly ive been hundreds of times however there are still things I am yet to do.

PrincessBelle39
05-13-2010, 03:44 PM
My family know about my addiction to Disney but they don't understand it. Friends though, they just think its strange. My best friend can't understand why we aren't looking to go somewhere else. This is from someone that goes to the Gold Coast every year.

queenie82
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
One of the things that is frustrating if you do try talking to someone about it...they will know a TINY bit...and it is just so wrong that I just give up...

Like -
- people think Walt Disney World and Disneyland are both the same place and refer to them BOTH as Disneyland!
- I heard a story where the friend of a Disney nut said they decided to take the kids to "Disney"... and they went to MK, Epcot, Universal and Sea World. To them, those 4 parks were "Disney"

DizOz
05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I am out and I am proud of my disney addiction.

I am always talking about our next trip to family and friends. I am sure they will be glad once we have left for our next trip.

I am sure sone a secretly jealous. We talked about our last trip so much friends are coming on our next trip, the more the merrier I say.

Queenie how right you are about most people not knowing the difference ebwteen DL and WDW. I am always correcting people and having to explain the difference.

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

GrazingGoat1966
05-16-2010, 04:28 AM
The good thing that occurs when people know that you are "Disneyfied" is that they ask you for advice when their kids get to the age of bugging them to go to Disneyland.

Then you are suddenly a font of knowledge that becomes invaluable to those who haven't yet developed a "clue".

But on a serious note....it's your money. Spend it anyway that you want. For what it's worth, I'm planning to up my stake in DVC and visit every year from now on. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I always tie it in with a trip to another part of the country, and believe me when I say that even after 6 trips to the states I still haven't scratched the surface.

australiankaren
05-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey all..

I am known at work as the Disney go to girl...i had my boss ask me about his DL trip in April,I was able to save him $350 and give him tips etc, he came back hooked....loved every thing about it and wants to implement certain Disney business ideas....
I had to drag my DH last year, he loved it so much he had me plan this years trip..so our home wont be paid off in record speed..at least we have these memories
my family just assume now that I'll be going to WDW every year...:banana: and why not, we all work hard for our $$$$, why shouldnt we spend it the way we want???

areweindisneyyet
06-11-2010, 06:54 AM
My parents loved Disney and so I have grown up loving DL. They took us when I was a child and I just loved it. I went on my own as I finished school. My last trip was with my parents, husband and children. The grandparents had to come, we couldn't possibly go without them. My DH had no interest but since our children are Disney nuts he did agree that perhaps it would be nice to take them, but just to DL. Nowhere else.

Next year we are going around the world and will finish with a family meetup in DL for Christmas (again can't go without Grandparents). Then enough frequent flyer points to try WDW the following Sept.

People ask why to you go back - because it puts a smile on everyones face and for the time you are there you live in the moment. The outside world just fades away... Reminiscing, planning or being DL weaves its magic.