PDA

View Full Version : Ohana, Is it overpriced garbage or the best meal?

youcansmellit
04-19-2010, 01:15 AM
I always hear about how great Ohana's is. I have never been. We are going to be in WDW in oct. I'm thinking of going just because I hear good things. but with every good thing I hear a bad.

What makes it so good? Should I not bother? We are not going to go for the entertainment, we just want good food.

wdwobsessed
04-19-2010, 01:23 AM
No matter where you ask about you are going to get good and bad reviews on here. Sometimes it's an off night and sometimes it's just not "your thing".

Anyway ...

My family liked Ohana ... both breakfast and dinner. At dinner the wings were awesome. My picky DS couldn't eat them fast enough. I remember all the meats being juicy except one ... I don't remember which one it was though. The steak was good and that made me happy!

I would go back for sure.

A

missdopey
04-19-2010, 02:37 AM
I personally love Ohana! I think that due to the good reviews it has received over the years and the general hype people maybe go with too high expectations. I try not to let bad reviews influence my dining choices, I like to try it for myself. I do listen to the good reviews and if it sounds like something I like I'll give it a go.
I didn't like everything at ohana, but I never like everything on a menu when I eat anywhere. There is enough different things and you can ask for as much of something as you like so you will never leave hungry.
We had a late reservation so the entertainment had finished when we were there, I think I prefer this, we also had a lovely view of wishes, it was fabulous.
As for the food, I thought it was cooked very well considering the amount of people they serve. There was plenty of meat and shrimp coming round!
We have 2 reservations here for our next trip that's how much we loved it!:cool1:

Tiger926
04-19-2010, 06:46 AM
I would never use the word 'gargage', but for us, 'Ohana is one of the worst restaurants on property. We've given it several chances for breakfast, and it's been horrible service, yucky food, seriously long wait times with ADRs and way too long of a character experience (over 2 hours for soggy waffles and burned bacon).

We won't go for dinner as we just see this restaurant as needing some major work done to it to improve - we much prefer Kona.

Best of luck, Tiger

dawnbu40
04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
We have been to Ohana twice for dinner and once for breakfast. Everytime we've gone we've gotten seated quickly and served promptly. The food has always been very good and we've been lucky enough to have a castle view each time! The bread pudding is one of the best desserts in WDW! :thumbsup2

francie57
04-19-2010, 07:23 AM
We have had both experiences. The first few times we went we were seated promptly and the food was really good. The last time we went we had a 5:30 ADR and were never seated until 6:15. The food was extremely lacking for this meal. All of the meats were so overcooked and dry that they were really bad. We usually like this place but have not returned since that last experience. May sometime in the future we will try it again but not this next trip either - we will try some other place that we haven't been to. As with any restaurant, they all have their good days and their not so good days. You just have to decide for yourself if you want to try it. As always, most of the time when you read reviews you will hear all the bad things since that is what people like to post the most. If you haven't been before I would say give it a try.

2manypets
04-19-2010, 07:45 AM
We tried 'Ohana three times and it got worse each time. We won't go back. Each time the meat was dried out and the sides looked like they'd been sitting for awhile before brought to us. The wait staff was horrible the last two times. Just not worth the money. or time.

bomzar
04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
All the years I've been going to Ohana, it's a coin toss! Half the time it's great and half the time it's horrible! If you read enough reviews, you'll see that they seem to have a problem with the waitstaff being slow and unattentive. That's been my experience also. The last time I went, everything was perfect! The couple times before that, not so much!

mickeysgirl17
04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Been there once for dinner and it was our favorite meal of the week.

kissakat
04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
It's not garbage, but I would never go there if the food was my sole priority in choosing it. It was OK, but that's it. We only went because of our little son. If you want the atmosphere, have a drink at Tambu and then go elsewhere to eat. Much, much better food at Jiko during our last trip.

PatsMom
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
It wasn't garbage but it isn't a place we will be going back to. The starters were pretty inedible, except for the salad. The meat was overcooked. DD liked the steak - I thought it was tough and overdone. The shrimp was good but a bit on the spicy side for me. I managed to fill up on it though. I don't eat dessert but my husband and daughter said it was the best part of the meal.

The "entertainment" didn't really entertain us. But it is really something people should try for themselves. We didn't walk away hungry, just felt like we had way overpaid for the meal.

The Poly is great to visit though. We took time to look around, walk on the beach, etc.

ftwildernessrick
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
We always do Ohana's on every trip we takw to WDW & even eat there if we are down in central FL on other business.

We almost always have had good service & good food, but like any restaurant anywhere, there have been times when improvement has been needed. Since the DDP came about, it seems that the food quality and selections have dropped over all of WDW, I would assume to make up for the lost revenues. Most people who go to WDW would never notice, since they only go there a couple of times in their life.

Some of the dishes I wish they would bring back, like the dumplins, sticky rice, and the teriyaki chicken backed in banana leaves. But we still overall enjoy the food. My kids are all grown, so the entertainment is not important.

In conclusion, all the Disney retaurants have their good days & bad, so try it yourself & see. I hope you have a good experience.

stormtracker
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
We love Ohana. Overpriced? Of course, you are at WDW. Garbage? No way. If you are doing the dining plan this place is a no-brainer.

Spaceship Tigger
04-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I enjoy Ohana because it's not something I can normally get at home. The food is pretty good and the atmosphere is nice. The service is often up and down though - we've only received really good service one out of the three times we've been. We've always been seated pretty quickly (our ADRs are usually around 5:00).

goofy4prez
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Ohana is on our must do list for dinner every time we go back to WDW. And to think we almost cancelled our first ADR because of a scathing review from some so called "expert" doing a restaurant review on a forum.

While there are several restaurants in WDW I will never return to again, only one would I call garbage: ABC Commissary. Now that place is horrible, but that is for another thread. :lmao:

princessallegra
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Everything at Disney is overpriced. That being said, I have eaten there and I would not call it garbage. It is the same quality as a Chili's, or Outback Steakhouse, etc. as far as the food goes, nothing terrible, nothing amazing. We thought our dinner was fun, and we had a good time. It wasn't fine dining, and there were A LOT of kids running around (we found it to be one of the more kid heavy dining establishments) even at 9 pm, which was our ADR time. I would say give it a chance if the menu appeals to you! Good luck!

princesspiglet
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
We've been to Ohana at least 10 times in the past 10 years. We never miss it on any trip. And we have never had a bad experience there. We love all their food and the atmosphers is awesome. DD7 loves the coconut races and the music and the dessert is to die for. This is usually the first ADR I book for any trip as we love it that much!

MSLRAC
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Ohana was one of our best meals in February and by the end of our trip, we were all wishing we had time to eat there again. The resort is beautiful and we had a great table to see Wishes. But aside from that, the food and service were great!

The bread, salad, broccoli and lo mien were really good but the wings, dumplings, steak and bread pudding were FABULOUS! I will admit that the meat was hit or miss. The steak was best. It was juicy and the flavor was wonderful. The turkey and pork were dry and tasteless. The shrimp was tough yet flavorful. We did get shrimp from another skewer and it was not as tough. But aside from that, it really and truly was one of our best meals.

I do think it was a bit overpriced but I thought that of all of our meals and Disney in general.

wolf29
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
We are not fans of Ohana, and find it's completely overrated. I would, However, not call it garbage. Nice location, good service, average food, better for dinner than breakfast.

bluejasmine
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I agree you will have to go and make your own opinion, I think almost every TS restaurant is a must try atleast once. We love Ohanas. First the Poly is gorgeous, then the food is good, from the dumplings, wings, noodles and veggies to the grilled meats and bread pudding! Now its normally very busy so service can at times be slow. We did go one time when the meats seemed pretty dry they were all over cooked, so it was just an off night. I think if that happens again I will ask for meat cooked a bit less. We love the ambiance too, the singer with the ukelie (sp?) and kids playing coconut races. We always take time to enjoy the resort before and after dinner to.
Id say the only way you shouldnt try it is if there isnt anything on the menu that suits you.

pixarmom
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
We have had both experiences. The first few times we went we were seated promptly and the food was really good. The last time we went we had a 5:30 ADR and were never seated until 6:15. The food was extremely lacking for this meal. All of the meats were so overcooked and dry that they were really bad. We usually like this place but have not returned since that last experience. May sometime in the future we will try it again but not this next trip either - we will try some other place that we haven't been to. As with any restaurant, they all have their good days and their not so good days. You just have to decide for yourself if you want to try it. As always, most of the time when you read reviews you will hear all the bad things since that is what people like to post the most. If you haven't been before I would say give it a try.

Same here. We've been going to Ohana for years, and I still think the appetizers, bread, salad and dessert are outstanding. But for us, the meats have not been good lately and same with the service. The entertainment is really fun for little ones, but our pre-teens are not so thrilled about it anymore (although our pre-schooler still loves it!) As for the cost, this was a better value when we didn't have two "Disney adults," one of whom only eats the kids' items that they bring for our pre-schooler. But I understand many of the really good items are available at Kona, so we'll probably give that a try.

As others have said, if you haven't been there, try it! (Especially if you don't have Disney pre-teen "adults" in your party!)

2BOYMOM
04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
While there are several restaurants in WDW I will never return to again, only one would I call garbage: ABC Commissary. Now that place is horrible, but that is for another thread. :lmao:

I give a big AMEN to that!

We have only visited Ohana once, and we thought is was great. We haven't been back, not because we disliked it but just because there was so many places to dine in WDW, just haven't made it back around to Ohana yet! But we will one day.

SydneyFalco
04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
We visisted Ohana's for dinner once and found it charming with decent food. We visited again two years later and found it still fairly charming but the food was the problem. During the first visit, I found some of the proteins (cooked on the big roaring grill in the middle of the room) to be chewy. During the second visit they were all much more than chewy. Loved all the sides, though.

One particular gripe I have about the Ohana dinner is the amount of wasted food it generates. I really didn't like that, but I don't think it would bother most people.

christianweecare
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Whenever we visit with the whole family clan they all vote for a trip to Ohanas.:thumbsup2

vettegirl
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I love Ohana, it's my favorite Disney dining experience. The food (esp. the shrimp and dessert are amazing).

pickle's mom
04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
We loved the breakfast with Lilo and Stitch at Ohana. The family style meal was great and my son's were thrilled with the ability to refill the plates over and over. We enjlyed the food, but we REALLY loved the character interaction included the congo line! We plan to go again when we return to WDW in December.

Bummbok
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Ohana is a must do for our family. We have yet to have a bad experience there, but we usually have early ADRs (5-530 range)there. Does that make a difference? I dunno, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

HunnyJar
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
We have been 'Ohana fans since 1998. We have never had a bad meal there.. And only once have we had bad service. Not bad in my opinion. Love both breakfast and dinner, but if we had to pick to do only one for our trip it would be breakfast. It's definitely a family favorite of ours.

WAHMto5
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
As I am sure you have found, what one person likes, another will not.

We go to Ohana's every trip and always enjoy the food!

Suz D
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
The first time we went it was very good. The second and third times it wasn't as good but was still pretty decent. The meal consisted of way too much meat for me. I'm not a big meat eater though.

Missy Mousie
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
We've been for breakfast 2 times. Both times were great. We had to wait about 20 minutes on the 2nd one. We are going to try it for Dinner when we stay at the Poly in November. (doing 2 days at the Poly, and 5 at BC! Yay!) We've had good for and great service both times.

DisneyFamily123
04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
We went to Ohana twice for the character breakfast (Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, Stitch) and once for the dinner. We also went to Spirit of Aloha.

The breakfast was amazing. Mostly ordinary breakfast food but cooked perfectly (eggs, breakfast meats, mickey waffles, etc.). A tropical juice and fresh fruit were delicious. But the best -- warm, moist cinnamon raisin bread and another pineapple coconut bread. The service and characters were great. Saw all 4 characters at least twice each time, some more. Characters showed my son how to give the Shaka surfing sign.

Dinner was delicious. Again, food was all delicious. Salad, wings, bread, skewered meats -- all good. I asked for the skewered steak more medium and out it came. The only issue was there was too much food that kept coming. I learned to let the server know I'm full already... and PLEASE save room for dessert -- the banana bread pudding was out of this world. My only regret was not scheduling a nap after this meal.....

We are returning for both in 2010!

ElizabethB
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Went to dinner there once due to raves on these boards. We won't go back. We thought the food was poor quality.

We do enjoy the character breakfast and will do that again.

honeydiane1953
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I just got back from WDW yesterday. I had a GREAT week and stayed at the WL btw. We ate breakfast at O'hana's and it was very, very good. I also would LOVE to stay at the POLY one day. Very relaxing atmosphere and the food wow just wow

MickeyEars
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
We love 'Ohana!! It's definitely a must-do for us each and every trip. As a matter of fact, we have dinner ADR's there twice during our upcoming 9 night stay and we're also doing the breakfast. Can't wait to go!! :thumbsup2

Carla

Mickey51
04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
We love eating O'Hana!!! It has a great character breakfast. Dinner is wonderful. It is now a tradition that it is the last dinner we have on vacation. We all take "Hawaiian" shirts and love to sit back and enjoy a great view and meal. The food choices have changed over the last several years. But even with these changes, we leave full and happy. In the past we have gone to the beach to watch fireworks and/or the water parade. What a fantastic way to end our vacation.:lovestruc

keishashadow
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
We tried 'Ohana three times and it got worse each time. We won't go back. Each time the meat was dried out and the sides looked like they'd been sitting for awhile before brought to us. The wait staff was horrible the last two times. Just not worth the money. or time.

just a general comment, no flaming to poster;)...

if I had this crappy of a meal & service i'd certainly request speaking to mgmt @ the restaurant:confused3

i'd like to think the mgr would want to know about such an experience & continued feedback would help raise the bar.

Kelsey In Wonderland
04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I went to 'Ohana last June and had a great experience. I really enjoyed the food, ESPECIALLY the dessert! I enjoyed it so much that I have reservations there for my first night in WDW this coming June. I would give it a shot, like many others have noted, any restaurant is bound to have a bad night and for every good review there is a bad one. If you think you will enjoy the food and atmosphere, I'd say give it a shot!

stepdisney
04-19-2010, 07:27 PM
We love it and we're going back....again and again.

chocovrdmicears
04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
We are in the "Never going back" group.

Ohana is this case doesn't mean "Family".....it means "dry, smokey meat that all tastes the same."
Add the soggy salad, gluey noodles and DRY dumplings. ick. :scared:

Tiger926
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
just a general comment, no flaming to poster;)...

if I had this crappy of a meal & service i'd certainly request speaking to mgmt @ the restaurant:confused3

i'd like to think the mgr would want to know about such an experience & continued feedback would help raise the bar.

I keep seeing people mention this - perhaps that poster did do this?

We have done it several times at 'Ohana, and it didn't do any good. I come from a restaurant family, so I can tell you that some restaurants do not want to raise the bar, as they are happy with the way things are. This is the case with 'Ohana, IMHO. You see the same continuous inconsistent reviews about 'Ohana. Why is that? Some of it can be attributed to different expecations from guests, but in this case, I truly believe 'Ohana is happy with the way they are.

It seems to be working, and they are full all of the time, as there are only 2 TS restaurants at the Poly, and it's a big resort. Not to mention the amount of people who visit from MK or other resorts.

If 'Ohana wanted to change, they would have changed by now. We went 3x over 3 different trips, during different months and years apart, and we encountered the same thing. That tells me they operate the way they wish to operate, and no amount of speaking to management (which needs to overhauled, IMHO), will change it.

Tiger

keishashadow
04-20-2010, 08:09 AM

We have done it several times at 'Ohana, and it didn't do any good. I come from a restaurant family, so I can tell you that some restaurants do not want to raise the bar, as they are happy with the way things are. This is the case with 'Ohana, IMHO. You see the same continuous inconsistent reviews about 'Ohana. Why is that? Some of it can be attributed to different expecations from guests, but in this case, I truly believe 'Ohana is happy with the way they are.

It seems to be working, and they are full all of the time, as there are only 2 TS restaurants at the Poly, and it's a big resort. Not to mention the amount of people who visit from MK or other resorts.

If 'Ohana wanted to change, they would have changed by now. We went 3x over 3 different trips, during different months and years apart, and we encountered the same thing. That tells me they operate the way they wish to operate, and no amount of speaking to management (which needs to overhauled, IMHO), will change it.

Tiger

then for u it's time to move on if things haven't lived up to ur expectations

they may be operating under a 'if it's not broke, don't fix it mentality' & if the bottomline is great there really is no need to change.

BelleChick
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
We loved it...have only been for dinner though! Everyone's tastes are different and are just opinions...the only way to find out for yourself is to try it for yourself. What is the worst thing that could happen? You don't like it and you never go back...I don't think it would ruin your vacation. I say...go for it!

BayouMickey
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
It's basically meat on a stick, if you can get passed that it's good.
We like it, but it's not the end all of the other restaurants.
We usually alternate with Ohana every other trip because kids like meat on a stick and sometimes I can do with some grilled shrimp.

ROEDISNEY
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
We went cause everybody says how great it is but we didn't like it at all. The food is smoked and we don't care for smoked food. Now if you like smoked food you will like it.

padmo
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I honestly wouldn't go again. We were staying at PR, and made the reservation because of the raves. Our waiter just didn't seem to like us, and that just set the tone of the meal for us. The food was good, not great. VERY noisy, even at the first seating, which we had (5:10).

laluna
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Had breakfast there a couple of weeks ago. Really lovely experience. Good service, plentiful food of good quality, fun character interaction.

jdisnut
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm still firmly on the 'Ohana bandwagon, but I concede that group appears to be shrinking by the day. I have had dinner there about five times and have had nothing but phenomenal experiences. It is one of my absolute favorite restaurants on property. I fear that my next meal at 'Ohana will validate the dozens of negative reviews I have read on the boards. I hope that day doesn't come.

sconnell
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
:goodvibes We LOVE Ohana when we are on the dining plan, but I'm not sure I want to pay out-of-pocket this weekend. Debating that now with DH.

johamna
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
my bf and i both LOVE ohana..we cant wait to be back in may!

youcansmellit
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I honestly wouldn't go again. We were staying at PR, and made the reservation because of the raves. Our waiter just didn't seem to like us, and that just set the tone of the meal for us. The food was good, not great. VERY noisy, even at the first seating, which we had (5:10).

This seems to be a common complaint. I think we might go to chef mickey instead.

youcansmellit
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm still firmly on the 'Ohana bandwagon, but I concede that group appears to be shrinking by the day. I have had dinner there about five times and have had nothing but phenomenal experiences. It is one of my absolute favorite restaurants on property. I fear that my next meal at 'Ohana will validate the dozens of negative reviews I have read on the boards. I hope that day doesn't come.

I feel like people had a good experience 4-6 years ago and have not gone more recently. People that have been in the last couple of years have not liked it.

youcansmellit
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Everything at Disney is overpriced. That being said, I have eaten there and I would not call it garbage. It is the same quality as a Chili's, or Outback Steakhouse, etc. as far as the food goes, nothing terrible, nothing amazing. We thought our dinner was fun, and we had a good time. It wasn't fine dining, and there were A LOT of kids running around (we found it to be one of the more kid heavy dining establishments) even at 9 pm, which was our ADR time. I would say give it a chance if the menu appeals to you! Good luck!

I feel like you have sold me on not going. I can't think of something more annoying then spending 2 hours, $200 in a chili's with kids running around. I could go to chili's off property for $50. I don't know. I'm going to have a car so we might just eat off property for the days we don't eat in the parks.

jdisnut
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I feel like people had a good experience 4-6 years ago and have not gone more recently. People that have been in the last couple of years have not liked it.
I have noticed the same trend with the posts on the board, but my last meal at 'Ohana was in January, and my entire family loved it. All the food was cooked perfectly and delicious, and our server was one of the best we have ever had at Disney. She took initiative, immediately corrected any mistake and exceeded our wildest expectations.

I guess I have just been lucky.

notaclue
04-20-2010, 07:40 PM
We were there for dinner in Sept and found the meats to be overcooked and dry and the service was lousy. I asked our server 2 times for the wet cloth to wipe our hands and never got one; he seemed like he just wanted to rush us out. The noise level was unpleasant also. Even tho we're staying at the Poly again in June we won't go back to 'Ohanas. It wasn't nearly as bad at breakfast but it's basically the same food you get at the counter service place but with characters and a much higher price tag.

amshowers
04-20-2010, 07:43 PM
We love Ohana and it's on our must do list. The salad, bread,potstickers are very good.The noodles, broccoli are okay sides, sometimes the turkey, pork can a little dry so I usally skip it. I also order my steak mid-rare so the steak is aways good. I:lovestruc wings, shrimp and dessert so that really makes the meal for me.

Bummbok
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
For what its worth our last trip was June 09, and we loved it.

lucas
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
We were last there for dinner in January 2010 (never been for breakfast). We love it there and think everything is delish. There is so much, if you don't like one thing, just go on to the next - it really is way too much to eat. I do have to order the steak well done as that is the only way I eat steak. But, if I just had the salad, shrimp and dessert, I would be in heaven. I think it is one of the best deals at WDW.

P.S. I wish more people hated it so I could get reservations more often.

Jetta8300
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Never been there, but does anyone else think that they hype might be the reason for this? that it might NOT be that the restaurant has gotten worse in 4-6 years, but they expectations have gotten HIGHER because of the hype? I don't know but that's what it seems like about all the reviews on the DS board. They are usually negative about the popular restaurants, and positive about the less frequented places. Just an observation from a newbie :)

Bummbok
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I feel like you have sold me on not going. I can't think of something more annoying then spending 2 hours, $200 in a chili's with kids running around. I could go to chili's off property for $50. I don't know. I'm going to have a car so we might just eat off property for the days we don't eat in the parks. I feel the comparison to Chili's may be a bit misleading too, I assure you the overall experience is nothing like either of those restaurants unless you have a different type of Chiliís or Outback than we do here in Alabama :lmao:. The only type of restaurant that I know of that compares in type of food/presentation of said food is the Brazilian steakhouses that are starting to pop up now and I don't think you can eat there for 4 people at $50

HunnyJar
04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
My family went in February for both dinner and breakfast and both meals were very, very good. My husband who is generally not a huge fan of turkey raved about how moist and tender the turkey was. Neither my son nor husband thought any of the meats were dry. I'm a vegetarian so I can't comment on the meats, but I will tell you the vegetarian meal the chef made was fantastic!

youcansmellit
04-21-2010, 06:44 AM

Tiger

Thanks for the info. We have one night that we have not made up our mind for dinner. I'm the one that gets to pick it. We are eating at Epcot for 3 of the dinners, So we don't want to make it 4. I want to make sure that its a good pick. So we might do Chef Mickey. Better then Ohana?

Tiger926
04-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Never been there, but does anyone else think that they hype might be the reason for this? that it might NOT be that the restaurant has gotten worse in 4-6 years, but they expectations have gotten HIGHER because of the hype? I don't know but that's what it seems like about all the reviews on the DS board. They are usually negative about the popular restaurants, and positive about the less frequented places. Just an observation from a newbie :)

I think the hype about Ohana for breakfast are the characters, and for dinner it's that ridiculous amount of food they provide. When you offer that much food, people aren't as inclined to complain or notice issues, as they feel an inflated sense of value. We feel it's extremely irresponsible of them to make so much wastage for dinner - each time we walk by to our ADR at Kona, we just can't believe the amount of wastage that is generated for dinner.

I honestly feel this is what all of the hype is about - it's also a huge resort, and with only 2TS meals, they fill up very fast. Remember though, even though a restaurant is always full (think Chef Mickey's), it doesn't mean it's good. :thumbsup2 Many people want to try the experience out, and I would venture there are lots of people who don't ever go back to Ohana after their first visit.

Tiger

Tiger926
04-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info. We have one night that we have not made up our mind for dinner. I'm the one that gets to pick it. We are eating at Epcot for 3 of the dinners, So we don't want to make it 4. I want to make sure that its a good pick. So we might do Chef Mickey. Better then Ohana?

Ummm...unfortunately, no. Chef Mickey's is also usually bad: dirty, noisy, long check-ins, character issues, broken ice cream machine (every time we go), food is not good and supbar service. We have eaten at CMs at least 4x over the last 3 years for both breakfast and dinner, and we have experienced this.

That being said, we did notice an improvement for our July trip though, but we didn't go a few weeks ago during our March trip. We will be going for our upcoming July trip, as kids really like the characters and atmosphere. This will make 5 times for us at Chef Mickey's over the last couple of years, so hopefully, we see the same improvements we saw last July.

If you've never been, and can get an ADR, you might want to try it for yourself. I am being honest after having eaten pretty much everywhere, but again, this is our opinion, and you might have a totally different experience.

I wish you luck in choosing your ADR! Happy eating, Tiger :)

Tinker Bella 17
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
my absolute favorite!!

letsgoagainsoon
04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
We've only done breakfast there and we really, really liked it. This is the only place my DS6 requested for our trip in September. :thumbsup2

Personally, I'd pick this over CM, I like the service, atmosphere and location much better at Ohana. To be fair about the food though, I have only had breakfast here and dinner at CM.

FlightlessDuck
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
We were unhappy with breakfast, but liked dinner very much. The meat was well cooked (although the beef was a little rare for some of the pickier people in our group). The sticky wings, pot stickers, bread, and veggies were all great.

I don't particularly like the coconut race (but then I feel the same way about the parades and stuff other buffets do for the kids), but we really liked the food.

LittleStinkerbelle
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM
We ate at Ohana for both breakfast and dinner last Spring. I thought the breakfast food was very good -- and since I'm not a buffet fan, it's a good alternative to still have a character meal. The service was just okay and I though the character interaction was a little less organized than other character meals we've done, but overall we liked it and would go back.

I almost cancelled our dinner reservation because I'd heard mixed reviews and after 8+ days of eating, I wasn't sure I was up for this type of meal. I'm really glad that we ended up going becuase we really ended up enjoying it.

youcansmellit
04-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Ummm...unfortunately, no. Chef Mickey's is also usually bad: dirty, noisy, long check-ins, character issues, broken ice cream machine (every time we go), food is not good and supbar service. We have eaten at CMs at least 4x over the last 3 years for both breakfast and dinner, and we have experienced this.

Any recommendations? I am willing to go off property. I just want a place that I know is consistent. It sounds like the places I have been looking in to are not. Thanks

Tiger926
04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Any recommendations? I am willing to go off property. I just want a place that I know is consistent. It sounds like the places I have been looking in to are not. Thanks

In all fairness though, as I mentioned, we saw a big improvement during our July trip. As I mentioned, we didn't go last month, but will be going again this July.

Most character meals as of late, have seen a decline in food and service, IMHO. But, since we've eaten at all of them many times, we've had pretty consistent positive experiences at:

Crystal Palace
Cape May Cafe
1900 Park Fare - breakfast (dinner wasn't that great last time)

All of the others are hit and miss, and some like Garden Grill and 'Ohana, we find just aren't good all around.

As I say this though, there will be many others who say they love these restaurants!

I would say if you go in with lower expectations, you might be fine - we just expect a clean eating area, a server to attend to us only 1 or 2x and hot food. Even these low expectations find us disappointed at times, but that's the nature of the beast when eating on-site: all character meals pretty much function as a get em in, and get em turned out as quickly as possible, in order to get the next table served.

I can make other recommendations to you for other TS meals, but not sure if we should do it on this thread, as I wouldn't want to hijack it?

HTH, Tiger :)

Tricia1972
04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Personally, I would try any restaurant that appealed to me from reading at the menu, ignoring all "DIS experts" and trends that I see on the DIS.

We've gotten stung hating a few places that are revered overall on the DIS, and have loved quite a few places that get slammed on the DIS.

EVERYONE has different tastes. Everyone. Some people will hate a restaurant that you might love if you gave it a shot. People just like different styles/types of food in general. No matter how they grew up, where they work now, or how many times they've traveled to Disney, their opinion isn't more important than yours and your reality.

I might trust actual food critics, but even then, I've found that I like places that they don't. ;)

If Ohana's menu appeals to you, then I say give it a shot. Even if popular opinion is that they don't deserve that chance. :goodvibes

HunnyJar
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Personally, I would try any restaurant that appealed to me from reading at the menu, ignoring all "DIS experts" and trends that I see on the DIS.

We've gotten stung hating a few places that are revered overall on the DIS, and have loved quite a few places that get slammed on the DIS.

EVERYONE has different tastes. Everyone. Some people will hate a restaurant that you might love if you gave it a shot. People just like different styles/types of food in general. No matter how they grew up, where they work now, or how many times they've traveled to Disney, their opinion isn't more important than yours and your reality.

I might trust actual food critics, but even then, I've found that I like places that they don't. ;)

If Ohana's menu appeals to you, then I say give it a shot. Even if popular opinion is that they don't deserve that chance. :goodvibes

Thank you for posting this! I couldn't agree more. I really wish people would give a restaurant a shot if they like what they read on the menu rather than just go by other people's opinions. There are plenty of restaurants that get consistently poor reviews on the Disboards that my family loves and others that get rave reviews that we will never go back to. Everyone has different tastes, different likes and dislikes and honestly the only way you will know what you like is to try it for yourself! :goodvibes

Spaceship Tigger
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Thank you for posting this! I couldn't agree more. I really wish people would give a restaurant a shot if they like what they read on the menu rather than just go by other people's opinions. There are plenty of restaurants that get consistently poor reviews on the Disboards that my family loves and others that get rave reviews that we will never go back to. Everyone has different tastes, different likes and dislikes and honestly the only way you will know what you like is to try it for yourself! :goodvibes

I know pretty much every restaurant gets blasted on the DIS and other boards much of the time, so you really just have to try things for yourself. Our personal favorites that we seem to return to all the time include Chef Mickeys, Ohana, Whispering Canyon Cafe, and San Angel Inn - all places that often get poor reviews. A lot of people just have different expectations and ideas of what their meal should be. To me, if it has a great atmosphere and pretty good food then we can depend on it. Service can be up or down anywhere at any time and doesn't usually make or break our experiences.

dawgfan
04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
We have eaten there twice. We are a family of four with two kids age 14 and 11. We all love the place and the kids make it a Must Do every trip.

disneychic
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
We have been going to dinner at Ohana since our WDW honeymoon in 2000. We try to go on every visit. I guess we're lucky, but we've yet to have a bad dining experience there. No complaints here about food or service.

Sammie
04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
In my opinion it falls somewhere in between.

BEANTOWNDR7
04-22-2010, 05:17 PM
We did the breakfast last year and intend to do it again this Oct., the atmosphere is great, the food is good and plentiful. The best part of th breakfast is the service, I'm not getting up and down to refill my kids plates and drinks. The kids get to interact with the characters will you get to sit and enjoy some Kona style coffee and relax.

crabbygal902
04-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree with Sammie, it is somewhere in between. I think that it falls closer to the better end rather than the worst. Especially good are the Lapu Lapu (mixed drink served in a pineapple) and the bread pudding dessert, and I normally hate bread pudding!

ElizabethB
04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Tried dinner once. Won't do it again. We do enjoy the character breakfast.