PDA

View Full Version : Is Viewing Wishes from the Cali Grill deck a "can't miss"?

vinotinto
04-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I need to re-arrange my ADRs to fit Jiko in. I think Jiko fits best on our AK day. Currently, for our AK day I have an ADR for Cali Grill (5:45 pm). We were planning on eating early and then returning to CG to watch Wishes at 8 pm from the viewing deck. This is only 1 of 2 nights during our trip that Wishes is early enough for my kids to watch. We will probably try to watch Wishes on the other early night, from our resort (Poly).

So, my question is:
1) Should I move Cali Grill to a night that does not have an early Wishes, which means we would NOT see Wishes from CG? That would allow us to eat at Jiko on our AK day.

2) Keep CG on our current AK day/early Wishes day. Watch wishes from CG. But, we would have to eat at Jiko on our MK day, which means driving to the AK area simply for the purpose of eating at Jiko.

Basically, is watching Wishes from the CG viewing deck really great? A must-do? Because otherwise, it does not "gel" well with the rest of our plans.

Thanks for the input!

jamstew
04-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Although viewing Wishes from CR is really nice, for me there's no comparison to watching it from Main Street :goodvibes Would I trade Jiko for Wishes from CR? No way!

GeorgeG
04-18-2010, 01:35 PM
There are many places to get a good view of Wishes. I wouldn't change any plans just to see them from the deck on the Contemporary.

prncess674
04-18-2010, 02:23 PM
There is no way I would rearrange my schedule. The restaurant is clogged with people thinking there is some magical hidden view. Go to CG if you really want the food offered not to watch a fireworks display.

kaytieeldr
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Nope. If you want to see Wishes from a less-crowded venue than Main Street/anywhere inside the park, there's

The fourth-floor deck at the Contemporary
The dock area at the Contemporary
The TTC (but NOT the ferry dock! :))
Inside 'Ohana if it fits with your plans
The Polynesian beach
The Grand Floridian dock
The GF waterfront
The deck outside Narcoossee's (ideally with a dining reservation :)).
If you don't mind spending an outrageous amount of money - a Fireworks Cruise
For a slightly less outrageous cost but shared with many more Guests, the nightly Pirates-something Cruise from the Contemporary

B-Ride
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Although viewing Wishes from CR is really nice, for me there's no comparison to watching it from Main Street :goodvibes

I'm with you 100%. We stay at the Poly and I often jump on the monorail at night just to go to MK and watch Wishes from Main Street.

vinotinto
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
There is no way I would rearrange my schedule. The restaurant is clogged with people thinking there is some magical hidden view. Go to CG if you really want the food offered not to watch a fireworks display.

Yeah, that's exactly what I need to know. We're eating there anyways, as the menu is appealing to us, but you have answered the question of whether it is worthwhile to schedule our dinner on an evening that allows us to return to watch wishes from viewing deck.

Nope. If you want to see Wishes from a less-crowded venue than Main Street/anywhere inside the park, there's

The fourth-floor deck at the Contemporary
The dock area at the Contemporary
The TTC (but NOT the ferry dock! :))
Inside 'Ohana if it fits with your plans
The Polynesian beach
The Grand Floridian dock
The GF waterfront
The deck outside Narcoossee's (ideally with a dining reservation :)).
If you don't mind spending an outrageous amount of money - a Fireworks Cruise
For a slightly less outrageous cost but shared with many more Guests, the nightly Pirates-something Cruise from the Contemporary

Nice list! :thumbsup2

Most have indicated that it's not worth fussing over wishes at CG. So, I will change our ADR for early on an evening that Wishes is much later and we will not go back to see them from the viewing deck. That makes it easier logistically.

kaytieeldr
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Oh, well - if you're eating there early one night and you hold on to your receipt, AND if you want/it's convenient - you'll be allowed back up to the fifteenth floor and can watch Wishes from one of the outside decks!

Tara
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Honestly, I love CA Grill, but I'm getting a little tired of fireworks from a distance, and not from the right angle. I'm not going to go out of my way to book for fireworks time for a while, I think - and I certainly wouldn't rearrange plans for it. Lots of good tips here already for viewing Wishes, though!

raidermatt
04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Not worth it. It's a fun experience if you can make it work without too much trouble, but it sounds like it's too much trouble in your case.

The view from the CG is neat even without the fireworks.