PDA

View Full Version : Fun, but delicious dining for adults. PLEASE HELP!

bellefromboston
04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Okay everyone, about a month to go before my reservation window opens! :woohoo:

But, I am pretty confused. :confused:

Usually my trips have been mother/daughter trips. VERY easy to plan. This time there will be four adults. Two of which LOVE Disney and enjoy character meals and fun experiences. One has gone to Disney once before and the other has never been. We will most likely be on deluxe dining, so signatures are fine to recommend.

I am struggling picking out restaurants that are unique to disney (cool atmospheres, fun experiences) that have good food. Also, would you recommend Hoop-de-doo with four adults?

Thank you!!! :worship:

oybolshoi
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Well, if you want good food I think Hoop-de-Doo is automatically excluded. ;)
Although to be fair, I don't know what your definition of good food is, so I may have just missed the mark with that comment.

If you are on the deluxe plan places like Flying Fish, Citricos, and CA Grill are great choices - very tasty food and drinks.

Other than that, I don't really know what you're looking for. Character meals are fun but the food is usually medicore at best. What is more important to your group - good food or an experience that can only be found at WDW?

bellefromboston
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, if you want good food I think Hoop-de-Doo is automatically excluded. ;)
Although to be fair, I don't know what your definition of good food is, so I may have just missed the mark with that comment.

If you are on the deluxe plan places like Flying Fish, Citricos, and CA Grill are great choices - very tasty food and drinks.

Other than that, I don't really know what you're looking for. Character meals are fun but the food is usually medicore at best. What is more important to your group - good food or an experience that can only be found at WDW?

That's what I'm having trouble deciding with. Is there any experiences that are both unique to WDW with good food?

TDC Nala
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I've thought the food good at Hoop de Doo. Not fancy or special but certainly not inedible. And the show is a hoot.

Since you're on a dining plan, that lets out places I might have recommended like Bluezoo or Bistro de Paris.

Try California Grill - most signature restaurants aren't particularly "Disney" but that one has the view of MK from the restaurant.

Maybe Raglan Road - it is themed, although not Disney themed, and accepts the dining plan.

oybolshoi
04-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I was just going to suggest Raglan Road but TDC Nala beat me to the punch! :laughing:

Great fun in the evenings when the Irish folk band plays. Tasty food and lots of good beer.

DEA
04-18-2010, 11:02 AM
The views make places like Narcoossee's and CA Grill pretty unique, I think, and I have had very good meals in both places. The resorts in which they are found are fairly iconic (at least I think so, but I definitely have a Disney bias). Flying Fish has the Boardwalk as its unique Disney setting.

If you have wine lovers in the group, Jiko at the AKL has a large selection of South African wine. It might be fun to explore that selection if the group is into checking out some wines that might be hard to find most other places.

I have eaten at all the places I've listed except for Jiko, but it consistently gets very good reviews across the board. I will also be able to speak more authoritatively about Jiko by the end of next month.

Planogirl
04-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I would eat somewhere in World Showcase. Maybe because it used to be such a big deal to do so but eating there just screams Disney to me.

iloveeeyore
04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
All of the adults in my family LOVE HDDR, I would definitely recommend it to any party. In our experience, the food has always been fine for what it is; I wouldn't choose it off a menu, but we never leave hungry. The sangria is yummy!

If I were bringing newbies to WDW, I might choose a variety of different restaurants that have good to great food that also offer something uniquely "Disney" about them. Based on my personal experiences, as well as research I've done on these boards, I would choose:

Narcoossee's, California Grill, Flying Fish, 'Ohana (or Kona) for dinner, Jiko (or Boma), Raglan Road, Garden View for tea (late lunch) and one or two from World Showcase, our favorites of the ones we've done are Les Chefs de France and Biergarten, but San Angel Inn has been getting better reviews since the Tequila bar opened and we can't wait to try it in July. I would also try to work in at least one character dining experience, just pick your favorite characters.

Would love to hear what you pick!

bellefromboston
04-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Okay, so far I have decided:

'Ohana - arrival night

Brown Derby - Fantasmic package

Le Cellier - Candlelight Processional Package

Calfornia Grill

Crystal Palace

Cape May

I'm still not sure about Hoop de Doo... how much audience participation is there? None of us like a lot of attention. Any other suggestions? Thank you to everyone who answered!!! :worship:

Evan&Kimberly
04-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I think Spirit of Aloha would be a good idea!
Here are some places that I would recomend that are only 1TS credit U cant go wrong with any of the signatures
Le Celliar,Ohana,Kona,
Coral Reef,Teppan Edo
Biergarten,Wolfpuck Cafe,
PSB (B),Tusker House (B)
Chef Mickey (B),Wave.
I think it would be nice to mix up the signatures with some 1TS credit places along with a couple of Character breakfast. That way everyone will be satisfied

jamstew
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
1. Jiko -- unique atmosphere & amazing food.
2. California Grill for the view & outstanding food.
3. Narcoossee's -- lovely atmosphere, although I personally don't find the food particularly outstanding.

pixidustmom
04-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Glad you have Ohana on the list. I think this would be great for adults. I'm not sure we are adding the DDP on my next trip but if we don't we still want to go there or to Coral Reef. Both good food and atmosphere.

bellefromboston
04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
How is the food at Biergarten? I think the atmosphere would be fun, but not sure about German food...

Also, is Flying Fish really good? We are staying at the Beach Club so it would be convienent. How does it compare to the other signatures?

TIA! :goodvibes

TDC Nala
04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Flying Fish has excellent food but I went there in February and the service was close to terrible. First time that's happened though.

honeydiane1953
04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I would highly recommend the HDDR for adults or children. We don't go everytime while there but it's great fun and food is good.

Hopefully
04-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I too would recommend the HDDR for a group of adults. We went in October and had a blast. It is true Disney through and through. You do not have to participate if you do not want to. The show is high energy, singing, dancing and corny jokes. It has been running continually to sell out crowds since 1971 - which has to say something.
The food is good "Down Home Cooking". It is not gourmet by any means, but good chicken and ribs. The corn bread is delicious. It includes, beer, wine and sangria.
I would recommend Jiko for a nice dinner out. It is a beautiful restaurant, with great servers, excellent food and an amazing wine list.
We love Raglan Road in DTD. It is also a beautiful restaurant. The food is great and the entertainment is lots of fun.
I did not like the food at Biergarden. I was very disappointed. The buffet was less extensive than I expected. The schnitzel was very dry. All in all, a disappointment.
We love Restaurant Marrakesh in Morroco. Good food and the belly dancer is fun.
We also love Teppan Edo in Japan. Again good food and the chefs are entertaining.
Have a Great Trip

bellefromboston
04-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Okay, so far I have a very rough plan, but I'm thinking:

Arrival Day - 'Ohana

First Day - am - Epcot
pm. - HS - Brown Derby (D) with Fantasmic pkg.

Second Day - MK - California Grill

Third Day - AK - Hoop-de-doo

Fourth Day - am. - HS
pm. - Le Cellier (D) with Candlelight Processional pkg.

Departure Day- Cape May Cafe (B)

Out of these, we have never tried Cali Grill, Hoop-de-doo, or Le Cellier.
I believe I still need 5 credits. I'm thinking we will do Crystal Palace for b-fast on our second day. Any suggestions for lunches on our first, third, and fourth days? We really don't enjoy the dining options at HS. We are staying at the Beach Club, so we don't mind venturing off toward that area midday. Thank you! :goodvibes

AppleSister1
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I like most of your choices!

Personally, I would skip Le Cellier for something more unique. Marrahkesh in Morroco, or Chefs de France. Le Cellier is nice, but feels like a steakhouse, really.

Lunch for second day: Take the monorail to the Contemp and try The Wave. It's great.

Lunch for third day: I really enjoyed Yak and Yeti at AK.

Lunch fourth day: You could take the boat and eat at Flying Fish? Not sure if they are open for lunch. Or, if you have hoppers (which it looks like you do) you could go to Epcot for lunch - try Rose and Crown, Chefs, Tutto, etc.

gillep
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I would add Sanaa it is at AKV a beautiful resort and you can have your meal all while watching the animals out on the savanna it makes for a really memorable dining experience and the food is also fantastic!!!!!

AppleSister1
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Sorry, I mis read your post!

Lunch at Epcot: boy you can't go wrong here! Coral Reef, Chefs, Tutto, Rose and Crown, etc. If you want counter service, Henry Ramsden's Fish and Chips is good, as is the Sunshine Seasons Food Fair (lots of choices) or Morrocco's counter service (can't remember the name.) Or you can just roam the WS and snack on goodies from each country.

Brook1099
04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
HDDR is a fun time with good food, beer and sangria. Strawberry Shortcake is yummy!
Not all lot of participation ( they pick a few people to go on stage)

I also like the Biergarten, but u would be seated w/ others.

We are trying Fly Fishing for the first time this year.

Yachtsmen is a very good steak restaraunt. Nice atmosphere, no entertainment.

CKBear
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
My favorite restaurant at the moment is Sanaa. In May I'll have been to Disney three times since it opened May '09 and all three times I will have eaten at Sanaa. Great food and a beautiful restaurant.

Twitterpated!
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
FLYING FISH!!! The menu is fabulous and the boardwalk amusement park/circus atmosphere is so much fun! Plus it is on the Boardwalk, and from Thursday - Sunday they have street performers and games and stuff.

Plus you can make a night of it and go to Jellyrolls afterward! :yay:

Twitterpated!
04-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I like most of your choices!

Personally, I would skip Le Cellier for something more unique. Marrahkesh in Morroco, or Chefs de France. Le Cellier is nice, but feels like a steakhouse, really.

Lunch for second day: Take the monorail to the Contemp and try The Wave. It's great.

Lunch for third day: I really enjoyed Yak and Yeti at AK.

Lunch fourth day: You could take the boat and eat at Flying Fish? Not sure if they are open for lunch. Or, if you have hoppers (which it looks like you do) you could go to Epcot for lunch - try Rose and Crown, Chefs, Tutto, etc.

:thumbsup2 Some good ideas here! Chefs de France has Remy from Ratatouille visit your table at lunch into early dinner. A server wheels a cart around and lifts the tray cover on it, to reveal the little animatronic rat on a plate, and he "talks" to you! Some people think that is weird, I am sure, but I find it fun!

Rose & Crown and Marrakesh, the two most underrated WS restaurants, in my opinion. Great service and even better atmosphere. Something you can't find often outside of Disney.