PDA

View Full Version : Question about PDA at Gay Days- Read first post please!

aaylasecura
04-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Note: I am not posting this thread to be offensive in any way. I am a person who favors people to make their own choices, whether it be straight, bi, or gay. :hippie:

I just wish to know, from other people's experiences, how bad is the public displays of affection (PDA) at Gay Days. We book our trip unbeknownst to this. Now, I don't have a problem with people's sexuality, but I do have a problem with the unnecessary PDA at the parks.

Can anyone tell me if it is bad?

Bob P
04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
If you have a problem with PDAs just be sure you don't go to WDW during lovebug season....

aaylasecura
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
We're already booked for when Gay Days is scheduled. I just wanted to know if the PDA is worse than usual (other than valentine's day).

soonerfan2008
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I've found that teenage couples hang all over each other far more than anyone else, gay, straight or otherwise.

Really, the gay community is friendly and fun from what I've experienced.

YukiPhnx
04-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't expect there to be any more PDA than you would find on a daily basis at WDW. Just because we're gay, and these are special days for us, doesn't mean we engage in more PDA than any other couple.

Also, who's to say how many gay couples are in the park on a regular day? Yes, there are more gays in WDW on Gay Days, but we've always been around.

If it's something that really concerns you, you can just schedule your park days for the parks that aren't hosting Gay Days.

aaylasecura
04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Just pointing out again- not trying to be offensive.

yukiphnk- I have read some reports (that were probably biased anyways) that said there was more PDA. I'm just trying to confirm or disprove facts. You make a good point, there are is always PDA in the parks.

soonerfan2008- They are friendly, right! I do know some gay people and they're so nice. Other people are nice too!

Believe it or not, when I go to Disney, I rarely see PDA anyways. I don't know what I was concerned about! I guess just curious.

webbmom
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
We were there last year during Gay Day/SWW. Honestly we were so into SWW we did not notice anything. If you are concerned I would just avoid MK on Saturday. Actually Sunday morning during breakfast we had a good laugh with the table next to us which happend to be 4 men. Just go with it.

aaylasecura
04-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Alrighty!

ophelia2002
04-18-2010, 12:07 PM
When we went during Gay Days, we saw no PDAs.

KY*Figment
04-18-2010, 12:24 PM
When I was probably 10 years old they had gay day at Kings Island. That was early 80's. It wasn't a big deal then for me so I doubt anything will phase my kids. PDA is typically worse when it's the redneck that's had too much to drink starts feeling up his girlfriend w/ too few clothes on. I get tired of seeing T&A, put some clothes on.

webbmom
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
When I was probably 10 years old they had gay day at Kings Island. That was early 80's. It wasn't a big deal then for me so I doubt anything will phase my kids. PDA is typically worse when it's the redneck that's had too much to drink starts feeling up his girlfriend w/ too few clothes on. I get tired of seeing T&A, put some clothes on.

Well put.

MissMet
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I've never been but from reading this article on wdwinfo.com, Saturdays seems to be the day to avoid the parks if you don't want to see pda.

By Pete Werner
DIS Founder/Webmaster

Authors Note: This article pertains mainly to the Saturday event during Gay Days. The rest of the week is fairly benign. My suggestion to those who wish to avoid the event is to avoid the Magic Kingdom on the first Saturday of June. During the week, a different theme park is featured for the "Gay Days" event. If you wish to avoid the crowds, I suggest that you avoid the scheduled park for that day.

The Gay Days schedule for 2010:
Thu, June 3 - Animal Kingdom
Fri, June 4 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
Sat, June 5 - Magic Kingdom
Sun, June 6 - Epcot
“Go get a room”.

That’s exactly what I feel like yelling this time every year as Gay Days descend upon Orlando. I know that during the first week in June, unsuspecting families and otherwise good and reasonable people will, at times, be confronted with images and events they would probably rather not see or experience on their family vacation. These people paid to visit Disney World, but during the first week in June, it looks a lot more like South Beach.

For the record, I’m a 42 year old gay man living in Orlando. I’ve been to Gay Days before, and thought it was a little bit over the top, but always bit my lip – especially here on the site. This year though, it just seems completely out of control, and I wanted to get this off my chest...

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

lblume91
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Our trips have overlapped Gay Days two different years. The 1st we didn't even realize it until after we were back & someone asked if we noticed. The 2nd year, we knew what was going on & still didn't really see anything. An occasional couple holding hands was about it. As PPs said, teenagers making out, pawing each other is the more prevalent PDA. I was even on the lookout for higher crowd levels & just didn't see it. Go & enjoy your vacation. :lovestruc

Lori1960
04-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I wa there June 1997 for Gay day It was only one day and the gays were showing alot more affection towards each other than other people.

Mysteria
04-18-2010, 11:36 PM
I wa there June 1997 for Gay day It was only one day and the gays were showing alot more affection towards each other than other people.

So sad for the other people. Looks like "the gays" did a better job of showing love and affection than "the breeders" did.

BabyGirl09
04-19-2010, 12:15 AM
So sad for the other people. Looks like "the gays" did a better job of showing love and affection than "the breeders" did.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Maybe I'm a crazy liberal...but unless people are going to get naked, I think a kiss here or there (gay or straight) is pretty adorable :)

lilonstitch12008
04-19-2010, 07:39 AM
I went last year during gay days and I dsnt notice anymore PDA than a straight couple. Some of the gay couples had really great shirts on that were really entertainig to read in the lines! I was actually disappointed we were missing Gay Days this year! Have a great time!

PebblesMK
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
My thoughts on the whole subject, is that if you go to Disney with the intent of having fun and enjoying your family, you're probably not going to notice anything. However, if you go knowing the parks are going to be filled with gay people and you're afraid of PDA, your radar is going to be going off every time you see somebody holding hands or hugging. When we went, I don't remember any act of PDA-but again, I wasn't looking for it. Go and have fun with your family and focus attention on them and it will be a wonderful trip. Oh heck, even if you do see some hugs or kisses, you'll be surrounded by loving people which is better than those crazies who are more apt to draw attention to themselves.

DisGirl23
04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
We found ourselves at Magic Kingdom during Gay Days one year and had no issues with anything. Just a ton of fun loving people having a blast.
As other posters have mentioned, I'd had more experiences with barely clothed girls being groped by their men than any other PDA. Oh, except those darn lovebugs! ;)

Chloesmom
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I've found that teenage couples hang all over each other far more than anyone else, gay, straight or otherwise.

So true... we have only been to WDW during Gay Days once.. no problems at all although we have gay friends and DD doesnt blink an eye at say two men holding hands. Our only trouble was at Rainforest Cafe at DTD with THREE women who frankly made me unable to eat. They were having serious PDA to say the least and I am thankful DD was seated so it was not all visible. I did complain to management who I could tell was terrified of how to handle the situation so instead of telling them to keep it down he gave us our meal free... which was good because it was barely edible anyway and we have not been back since...and have no desire.
In the parks tho... not a problem.. It is a tad more crowded on the days when they organizers have decided to go to a certain park so I found out what park it was that day and we avoided it for the most part.

KY*Figment
04-25-2010, 11:08 AM

That's funny!:rotfl2:

RainbowBrite
04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I can assure you my wife and I are not going to make out in public. We're not going during the Gay Days though. We'll be there in September. Every day at Disney is a Gay Day for us!

angelisagemini
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
It's not a gay club...it's a theme park. Why would gays be insanely overaffectionate just because it's gay day?
Love is love, and that is always better than hate. If you're going to spend time worrying about other's behavior then you should focus on a negative trait rather than who those people love.

tinkerbell313
04-25-2010, 07:27 PM
We were at DW in 2009 during Gay Days week. Historically, the week started out as one day...the first Saturday in the month of June. Gay Day has since expanded to Gay Days...and each day a different park is designated with the first saturday in June designated to the MK.

However, most other events are held off site at the host hotel (Double Tree Resort Orlando on International Drive) as well as some other non-Disney Resort hotels.

We did avoid the parks on the designated days...only because we wanted to avoid crowded parks(and I don't even know if the parks were crowded as we did not go to the designated park on the designated day...we just went to a different park). If 150,000 cub scouts designated the first Saturday in June as cubscout day at the park...we would still avoid it...again, because we were trying to avoid the crowds.

With that said...we did not not even notice PDA Straight...Gay...or any other type...and I notice detail (just ask my DH). You will have a great time!!

Greta
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I can assure you my wife and I are not going to make out in public. We're not going during the Gay Days though. We'll be there in September. Every day at Disney is a Gay Day for us!

:sunny::sunny:
Nicely said! We will be there in September too! Can't wait!!!

SnowandMittens
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
I see no difference in the way that a gay couple acts as oppossed to a herto crouple. I also think the hand holding is adorable, btw. It's nice to see people happy!

NotUrsula
04-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Due to my children's school/camp schedules, we've been at WDW for Gay Day at least 6 times in the past 10 years.

IME, pda isn't the most common problem -- language is. 99% of the time, the unpleasantness gets started by a straight person who just has to taunt a gay couple for doing something totally innocuous like holding hands, and then the argument will escalate into a vulgar shouting match. WDW is usually pretty good about having CM's intervene quickly. One time (when the children we thankfully asleep), it got very ugly on a crowded resort monorail, so there was no easy escape. (That one was started by a group of teen boys, and there were no obvious gay couples in the car -- they were just being foul-mouthed braggarts and going on and on about how much they hated [insert vulgar epithets here.])

IME, since WDW switched to selling non-hopper tickets, Gay Day at the MK has gotten a lot less crowded, particularly at night. Straight families have begun avoiding MK on that day, and the childless gay couples tend to prefer going to Universal on the weekend instead, so the majority of folks who are left are gay families with young children.

cm8
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM

:rotfl:, at first I was like......huh :confused3 what is T&A and then I was like :rotfl2:, I know, I'm a little slow at first:rolleyes1

aaylasecura
04-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Awesome Sauce RainbowBrite!

It's not a gay club...it's a theme park. Why would gays be insanely overaffectionate just because it's gay day?
Love is love, and that is always better than hate. If you're going to spend time worrying about other's behavior then you should focus on a negative trait rather than who those people love.

I don't think you understand. This thread is not for being offensive (which I found your post to be). I started this thread because I was merely curious. I read other people's opinions on other sites and they said some nasty things. I just wanted to confirm or disprove. I'm not saying that people who are gay, bi, or transgender are insanely overaffectionate. I'm just curious. And yes, watching two men or two women make out makes me uncomfortable. It's just not what I'm accustomed to.

Donaldswife
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Awesome Sauce RainbowBrite!

I don't think you understand. This thread is not for being offensive (which I found your post to be). I started this thread because I was merely curious. I read other people's opinions on other sites and they said some nasty things. I just wanted to confirm or disprove. I'm not saying that gays are insanely overaffectionate. I'm just curious. And yes, watching two men or two women make out makes me uncomfortable. It's just not what I'm accustomed to.

Personally, seeing any two people "make out" in a family environment makes me uncomfortable, straight or gay!:thumbsup2

We were there last year during gay days and did not see anything inappropriate in the parks. Were they couples holding hands, yes....was the occasionally quick smooch on the cheek or lips, yes....to me, perfectly acceptable loving gestures. We didn't notice anything vulgar or over the top.

That being said, I do understand why the OP is asking. There does seem to a be a VERY small minority in the Gay and Lesbian community that want to be "in-your-face" about things like this, just as there are a small minority of heterosexuals (mostly males) that want to make it into issue if the see a same sex couple holding hands.

Honestly, I think those incidents are few and far between at DW Gay Days, because MOST of the families there are there to have fun as a family or a couple, and just be themselves, whether they are straight, homosexual, or bisexual. I think you should go and enjoy yourself and your family. It certainly didn't have any impact on our vacation last year. :goodvibes

Mysteria
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I guess I just don't worry about PDA anywhere. If someone (gay, bi, straight, or any other) is being inappropriate with their partner at the wrong time in a public place I'll say something.

Looking4themouse
04-28-2010, 12:07 AM
JMHO here, I don't think your question is inappropriate, however, I do think your language might be, although, I bet it was unintentional. When you say things like "The Gays" or "gays" to me, it makes it sound like you think of the individuals you are describing as a disease you don't want to catch, or some sort of scary alien you don't want to be around. Again, i'm sure it was unintentional, but nevertheless, some could find it insulting. I find using people first language is usually the best way to not sound offensive. All that means is instead of saying "the gays" or whatever you say something a little more wordy like the people who are gay, or whatever works with your sentence formation. I may be way off base here, but I worked for an Independent Living Center for about 10 years, working with individuals from various backgrounds, and always found people first language to be less likely to cause conflict.

*steps off soapbox*

aaylasecura
04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Looking4themouse- just rephrased my question (edited)

Looking4themouse
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to you for taking the time to read my post.:hippie:

worm761
04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
I have been during Gay Days a few times. It falls during my birthday and hey... I like to spend my birthday at Disney. The first time I went I didn't realize it. I do have to say though that I had finally gotten to see my favorite parade. I called my BFF to tell her about it and mentioned the really great "scenery". Tons of really cute guys in the Magic Kingdom. She reminded me that it was Gay Days. I enjoyed the view anyway.
I have never notice anything offensive during Gay Days. I did overhear something offensive. I was waiting for the boys to finish checking out Tattoine Traders when I overheard a woman thowing an absolute fit because there were gay people around her and her child. Seriously? If you have made it to around 4PM and hadn't noticed then your child will not be scared for life.

ChristaDeVil
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I went last year during gay days and I dsnt notice anymore PDA than a straight couple. Some of the gay couples had really great shirts on that were really entertainig to read in the lines! I was actually disappointed we were missing Gay Days this year! Have a great time!

Same here! I saw some awesome t-shirts (including one with a rainbow colored storm trooper that I would LOVE to have for one of my best friends). We are going in August this year, and I actually got a little sad that we won't be there during Gay Days (and SWW).

DisneyWorldbuff
05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
We are usually on our WDW vacation during Gay Days (falls on my Birthday) and have never, ever had any problems or issues at all. The only noticable difference is a lot more matching shirts;) Hopefully, you'll be having too much fun with your own family to notice what any other families are doing. Seriously, you won't likely see anything that you'd wouldn't see on any given day at WDW. Have fun:thumbsup2

gdaysboi
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Do you ever see teens at the mall kissing or handing hands or having their hands around someones waist, well expect to see some of that but in most cases it is just couples being couples.

I have been to Disney many times and have witnessed straight Newlyweds, teens and couples acting R rated at the parks. Their are always people like that everyday.

During Gay Days there will be a few times you might see something, but it is not the norm.

An easy way to explain to kids at Gay Days is
Sometimes a Prince wants a Princess
Other times a Prince wants a Prince
or if it is two women - A Princess wants a Princess

omg7kids
05-26-2010, 02:11 AM
During Gay Days there will be a few times you might see something, but it is not the norm.

In the 29 years I've been visiting WDW, this has been my experience as well. No more PDA than anyone else in the park. :flower3:

jeepinweezle
05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Why would it be any different than any other day? Just because a bunch of straight people get together does the PDA level go up?

hugApug
05-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Sending good thoughts to the OP, so this is not meant to be rude. The gay community, like any other community, has a good sense of their environment and would certainly not turn WDW into the San Francisco Pride Parade(which, I love, but would make many people uncomfortable). It's a family place, that everyone is excited to be at, and they will most likely be focusing their efforts on rides and ADR's just like the rest of us. :goodvibes

Of course, there are always people who ignore their environment and decide to partake in PDA, but that could be a straight or gay person! Please don't let the *few* obnoxious ones slant your entire view of a very diverse community.

englishteacha
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Having several gay friends, and some gay relatives, I'm pretty comfortable with all people showing appropriate affection towards each other. I do understand the OP's concern. I don't think any of us want to watch anyone, gay or straight, pawing each other! You may see more same-sex couples holding hands than you would on another day, and maybe even some smooching. I think, though, that it probably won't be an issue. :)

kimis
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
All the times we have been to WDW we have never seen PDA's---even at downtown disney. However if I did and it was offensive I would find a cm no matter who it was being offensive.

aaylasecura
05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Why would it be any different than any other day? Just because a bunch of straight people get together does the PDA level go up?

I had just heard reports that there was some unnecessary PDA and I wanted to confirm or deny the reports with peoples real life experiences.

DanG07
05-29-2010, 01:50 AM
As a father of four, I would not welcome excessive PDA from any couple at WDW, regardless of sexual orientation. As a pp stated, this is WDW, not Vegas, a club or the SF gay pride parade. I would hope that all couples keep that in mind and refrain from PDA in the theme parks. Although I adore my wife and think she is gorgeous :love:, I wouldn't dream of "pawing" her in public (not to mention in front of my or other people's kids). However, I understand that stuff happens and some couples can't keep their hands of off each other, even in front of children :eek:. As a responsible parent, I would explain to my children, if they saw PDA of any kind and asked questions, that different people have different ways of expressing themselves and try to downplay the PDA.

The bigger issues during Gay Days, IMHO, are the intolerant hetersexuals who try to make normal behaviors like hand-holding into bigger deals versus the in-your-face gay people, as Pete Werner states in his blog, who try to showcase their homosexuality. People this is 2010, not 1960. People can love whoever they want. Get over it! Heterosexuals should not flinch when they spot a gay couple holding hands just as a gay couple should not announce their sexuality by groping each other because they spot an intolerant hetersexual. Enjoy WDW, and make your respective political stands someplace else.

Goofster18
05-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Being there for the whole week, I saw nothing out of the ordinary, other than that sea of red shirts in the parks on certain days. Which was funny when you see the families who thought wearing matching red shirts would help them stand out in crowds. A few hand holding, a few kisses, sometimes hugs, or arms around the waist, but nothing obscene. Some of it was really cute and romantic to be honest. In front of the castle pics, etc. Nothing distracting at all for me.
Have a Magical Day!!!
Goofster18

aaylasecura
05-29-2010, 09:16 PM
As a father of four, I would not welcome excessive PDA from any couple at WDW, regardless of sexual orientation. As a pp stated, this is WDW, not Vegas, a club or the SF gay pride parade. I would hope that all couples keep that in mind and refrain from PDA in the theme parks. Although I adore my wife and think she is gorgeous :love:, I wouldn't dream of "pawing" her in public (not to mention in front of my or other people's kids). However, I understand that stuff happens and some couples can't keep their hands of off each other, even in front of children :eek:. As a responsible parent, I would explain to my children, if they saw PDA of any kind and asked questions, that different people have different ways of expressing themselves and try to downplay the PDA.

The bigger issues during Gay Days, IMHO, are the intolerant hetersexuals who try to make normal behaviors like hand-holding into bigger deals versus the in-your-face gay people, as Pete Werner states in his blog, who try to showcase their homosexuality. People this is 2010, not 1960. People can love whoever they want. Get over it! Heterosexuals should not flinch when they spot a gay couple holding hands just as a gay couple should not announce their sexuality by groping each other because they spot an intolerant hetersexual. Enjoy WDW, and make your respective political stands someplace else.

Very well put. Thank you.

polineedyan
05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Ok my opinion will not be in this post, so no flaming please.
I was at work the other night and two guys, brothers, came in. we got to talking and they had said how they went to wdw a few weeks earlier. the one brother asked the other brother to tell me about their prior trip (last year.)
They got to laughing and basically told me that their third brother had envited them to wdw, that he is gay and failed to tell them it was gay days.
the two men made a point to tell me that they are very comfortable around people of all sexuality, but were aghast at how open and often the affection was.
here comes the opinion part, i lied..
i rarely see pda at the parks, of any variety. so to hear that its excessive does make sense to me. we dont like june, so it doesnt affect us one way or another.:wizard:

CandyHead09
05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
UGHHH I feel the same way and lucky for you your going not only during gay days but during wedding season :bride: :lovestruc lots of honeymooners being all gross and annoying in front of you as you wait a half hour for space mountain! Haha I'm sorry but it is unavoidable :headache: gay or straight :sad2: just dont let it bother you :rolleyes1 move about your day enjoy the vacation and the magic and turn your back to it if your trapped in line. :thumbsup2

(sorry I got overly smiley happy I almost never use them I just realized how adorable they are haha)

Luvchefmic
05-30-2010, 02:40 PM

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing24.gifhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing24.gif

and fwiw I think you will be raising very tolerant & loving children with your good example

lorac4disney
05-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Went last year during Gay Days and it was not an issue at all. The only people I noticed getting carried away with PDA were the occasional straight teenagers, but CM's were relatively quick to remind them that it is a family park.

arielchickenofthesea
06-08-2010, 02:30 AM

I find the term "breeders" annoying. I am straight and married and am NOT a breeder. I never wanted children and never had em. I never "bred". I am not a breeder. I am a woman. I also find the term "gay" annoying. Why does anyone have to use such terms when describing ANY social group of people? "Breeder"? "Gay"? Any label is insulting. We are individulas with proclivities to one or more social groups. That does not mean we need a label. It is annoying as well as insulting.:sad2:

acots

PrincessTiffany
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Who are "the breeders?"

Looking4themouse
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Who are "the breeders?"

Breeders are the couples who are straight, with or without children. Whomever wrote that I'm sure was trying to make a point of how offensive they felt the whole gay days question was. I take it as a little passive agressive gesture on that persons part, however am not particulary insulted by it, even though I fall into the category of a breeder. I kinda find it funny....However, in my opinion, you can't teach tolerance by name calling.

SCHBR'smom
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
In 2008, we were at Disney World during Gay Days. We had no idea until we arrived and were informed by a CM. She actually found it pretty funny because we were in matching shirts, red shirts. My sis in law, mil, and I found it really funny because that morning for breakfast, we were in our matching shirts and split up tables. I sat with my baby, sis in law, and fil. Mil sat with 3 of the girls. And, DH, our DS, bil, and his son all sat together. They had gotten many stares and we didn't know why. We think people must have thought they were quite a cute little family, 2 daddys and 2 little boys.

Although you could tell some couples were gay, there was nothing much else to notice. The kids didn't see anything that they felt the need to ask us about and they are all prone to lots of questions. It was just people at the parks, like any other trip for us.

aaylasecura
06-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I find the term "breeders" annoying. I am straight and married and am NOT a breeder. I never wanted children and never had em. I never "bred". I am not a breeder. I am a woman. I also find the term "gay" annoying. Why does anyone have to use such terms when describing ANY social group of people? "Breeder"? "Gay"? Any label is insulting. We are individulas with proclivities to one or more social groups. That does not mean we need a label. It is annoying as well as insulting.:sad2:

acots

It is unfortunate that society is like this, but it some cases (that are not mine) calling someone gay or straight or breeder or whatever term you can think of may be the nicest way that the person can put it. There are rude people out there that would use profanity or crude terms. Yes, breeders may not be the right term, and I'm not trying to defend or not defend the poster, but the term could have been worse. If it bothers you, do what I do when I'm called things I don't like and just either ignore it or come up with a witty response that makes you feel better but doesn't cause hurt feelings. I apologize if that post hurt your feelings. Like I have said over and over again and again, I was merely asking questions in this thread to confirm or disprove reports I had heard elsewhere.

TagsMissy
06-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Op... I have to ask. Did you pose this same question about Grad Nights? Or any other scheduled event nights/days?

I guarantee you that you are going to find more outward PDA during grad nights than you will at Gay Days.

vjgkam
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
We booked our once in a lifetime Disney trip and only found out afterwards that we scheduled during Gay Days. I was aprehensive going into the parks, but I didn't see any PDA's while we werer there. However, some of the shirts the gays and lesbians were wearing were seriously offensive. I'm surprised Disney allowed it, and was equally surprised that grown men and women would werear shirts with such shocking messages on them in a park where they knew children would be present. My take is that those wearing them (and it was a very, very small percentage) have a very low self image and are screaming for attention. I sent an email to Disney with some of the messages (I won't post them here because they were offensive) and haven't heard a thing.

Looking4themouse
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
It is unfortunate that society is like this, but it some cases (that are not mine) calling someone gay or straight or breeder or whatever term you can think of may be the nicest way that the person can put it. There are rude people out there that would use profanity or crude terms. Yes, breeders may not be the right term, and I'm not trying to defend or not defend the poster, but the term could have been worse. If it bothers you, do what I do when I'm called things I don't like and just either ignore it or come up with a witty response that makes you feel better but doesn't cause hurt feelings. I apologize if that post hurt your feelings. Like I have said over and over again and again, I was merely asking questions in this thread to confirm or disprove reports I had heard elsewhere.

Yes but ignoring the problem does not solve the problem.... There are nice ways to get your point across and teach someone something they may not know, while I agree that getting bent about something of this nature doesn't do anyone any good, teaching someone something might. I believe intollerance to come from fear, either of a lifestyle they are not familiar with,(people who are gay, lesbian, bi, swingers, or if a person is in a monogomous relationship with more than one person, or maybe a person who has had a sex change) different ways of expressing oneself ex multitudes of earings or a multitude of tattoos or maybe different colored hair:scared1:, which are more obvious ones. If we want to break a cycle of hatred we have to start by teaching each other tolerance of different lifestyle choices. Oddly enough I think we Americans have further to go than many other countries with this.

mr.bungle
06-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Just pointing out again- not trying to be offensive.

yukiphnk- I have read some reports (that were probably biased anyways) that said there was more PDA. I'm just trying to confirm or disprove facts. You make a good point, there are is always PDA in the parks.

soonerfan2008- They are friendly, right! I do know some gay people and they're so nice. Other people are nice too!

Believe it or not, when I go to Disney, I rarely see PDA anyways. I don't know what I was concerned about! I guess just curious. Even so, it's not a necessary thread.

MamaJessie
06-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Op... I have to ask. Did you pose this same question about Grad Nights? Or any other scheduled event nights/days?

I guarantee you that you are going to find more outward PDA during grad nights than you will at Gay Days.

I don't see the correlation? :confused3 The whole theme, gay days, is a reference to sexual orientation, making some people concerned about PDAs as people could in theory, revel in their celebration of their sexual orientation and perhaps be more huggy bear kissy face. I personally do not care but some people are awkward around PDAs and I could see why some people might think there might be more during this time.

Just the opinion of a lowly breeder... :rotfl:

Looking4themouse
06-15-2010, 12:09 AM
not trying to be rude here, but your not seeing the corelation between that and grad nights does say something at least to me. Grad nights in my opinion have high chance of some filthy PDA type action if you ask me. A bunch of college kids out possibly getting wasted being overly, drunkenly affectionate.... Kids tend to get wild when they graduate and may do things they might not usually do...Does that lead to a higher than normal likelyhood for pda? :confused3 but I think it's likely....I'm sure the op just heard gay days and thought well there may be more pda's because it's specfically for a group of individuals who's sexual orientation isn't straight. I don't know about you, but I do know before I actually knew anyone who's sexual orientation was different from my own I had a very different view of what the culture was like. The media plays a part in the frenzy by depicting people in certain ways. You know like where I used to work there was a park up the street where prostitutes worked, if they ever had a bust up there I never heard about it, but I will tell you what there was a full page article on a park where according to the article men were picking up other men......:scared1: So we get these stupid ideas in our head that that's the way that all people in that specific group act....It's not but we allow the idea to form in our head because that's what someone else who apparently knows more than us thinks.... I wish it wasn't true but I really believe it is.

MamaJessie
06-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Kids tend to get wild when they graduate and may do things they might not usually do...

Well, I guess if it says anything about me it says I don't know people that go bonkers after graduating. Around here we just go out for dinner ;)

I have to admit, when I first saw this topic I thought it was a thinly veiled anti-gay subject, which really irked me. That's why I even bothered reading it, because I was going to let OP have it. But the more I read the post I think maybe she was really just curious. That's why I defended her. Because if we are ever going to REALLY accept other people we have to be able to discuss questions openly without being scared people will think we are being hateful.

I hope gay days are great, but personally I like the pp who said every day is gay day for her. That's the way the world should be, able to celebrate your life every day. :goodvibes

mr.bungle
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, I guess if it says anything about me it says I don't know people that go bonkers after graduating. Around here we just go out for dinner ;)

I have to admit, when I first saw this topic I thought it was a thinly veiled anti-gay subject, which really irked me. That's why I even bothered reading it, because I was going to let OP have it. But the more I read the post I think maybe she was really just curious. That's why I defended her. Because if we are ever going to REALLY accept other people we have to be able to discuss questions openly without being scared people will think we are being hateful.

I hope gay days are great, but personally I like the pp who said every day is gay day for her. That's the way the world should be, able to celebrate your life every day. :goodvibes
I grew up in So Cal and went to Disneyland for grad night. I knew kids dropping acid and other kids doing other things they aren't supposed to. I can't speak for the gay days crowd but I don't think most mature adults would be doing any thing inappropriate. Although a lot of folks think hand holding is inappropriate. I can agree that I don't care to see ANYONE making out or something like that in public but come on, why have a preconceived notion about an incredibly diverse group of people?

kimgg
06-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Because if we are ever going to REALLY accept other people we have to be able to discuss questions openly without being scared people will think we are being hateful.

Yes! Not everyone is raised to accept everything. Once they get to know more about things they are raised to disagree with, they often change their minds. However, if the first chance they get to start to ask questions about something they are unfamiliar with they get their hand slapped, they are much less likely to change their old opinions. Of course this works better in tthe real world and less on the Dis, however the above post is a great example.

At my job our diversity training called these "courageous conversations" because when you try to reach out to those different than you are, you risk saying something "wrong." But often people reach out with good intentions, so it is helpful to give others the benefit of the doubt. On both sides of an issue. :hippie:

pbrim
06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I wonder how much of the "Too much PDA on Gay Day!" is observational bias. That is, some people will see a straight couple hold hands, hug, or kiss and just consider that so expected that they never even notice. Five minutes later, they won't even remember seeing it. Yet, let a gay couple do the same thing and it's "OMG!! PDA everywhere!!!!!!" If they see 10 straight couples kiss and only 1 gay couple kiss, the only one they remember is the gay kiss and tell everyone that the straights are discreet, but the gays are all over each other.

Not aiming that at any one person here, just that is a known psycological reaction that may explain why some people report a lot of PDA and others don't.

Looking4themouse
06-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes! Not everyone is raised to accept everything. Once they get to know more about things they are raised to disagree with, they often change their minds. However, if the first chance they get to start to ask questions about something they are unfamiliar with they get their hand slapped, they are much less likely to change their old opinions. Of course this works better in tthe real world and less on the Dis, however the above post is a great example.

At my job our diversity training called these "courageous conversations" because when you try to reach out to those different than you are, you risk saying something "wrong." But often people reach out with good intentions, so it is helpful to give others the benefit of the doubt. On both sides of an issue. :hippie:

Wow, sounds like a really cool training!!! I agree that most people start off with good intentions and then someone else misinterpreting intent gets upset and :mad::mad::mad: Of course after that the whole thing snowballs and we end up at war.....This side fighting that.

kjs1976
06-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I would rather see more PDA from anyone gay or straight than see kids unnecessarily getting spanked or berated at WDW...c'mon, at WDW?

Timrobb
06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
I would rather see more PDA from anyone gay or straight than see kids unnecessarily getting spanked or berated at WDW...c'mon, at WDW?

I AGREE!

My partner and I have been together for 15 years and have a 5 year old daughter. We go to Disney every year and have never gone during Gay Days. With that said, there are times that we will hold hands (with DD between us) and you should see the looks we get. It is really strange that people have such an odd reaction. Regardless, we aren't going to stop b/c it is important for our daughter to understand that people who love each other and are part of a family like to spend time together (and yes that means, holding hands too!).

I too have seen some pretty offensive acts of PDA (again mostly by teenagers) and have always just steered us in the opposite direction.

ENJOY your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.