PDA

View Full Version : Sci fi vs 50's prime time

proud_canadian
04-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Thinking about maybe adding a second TS to our vacation (already thinking about crystal palace at MK), and thinking about doing it at DHS.

Both sci fi and 50's prime time diner both appeal to me.

Which one would you choose if you had to pick just one? Two girls 3 and 6, DH and me.

Haley
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Both are really fun! Your kids will probably like the atmosphere of Sci Fi better, though- it's very unique.

funkbucket007
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
We eat at both, every trip but we usually do 50's Prime Time Cafe twice...that should give you my opinion.

MikeWD
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I've eaten at both. They are both unique in their own way. At 50's Prime Time, part of the uniqueness is the interaction with your server, who (if you are fortunate to get one of the really good ones) can make the meal even more eventful in really fun and unexpected ways. That sort of interaction may or may not be your thing. If you prefer to be left alone except for the usual meal service, Sci Fi might be a better option.

Sci Fi's appeal comes from sitting in the "car" and watching the drive in movie show (clips of old science fiction movie trailers). Really cool, too.

Suellen
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Usually I would say Sci Fi ~ but we had a terrible meal there last time and a fabulous meal at 50's Prime Time.

So this time I say 50's prime time! Although we are doing both this trip.

NC State
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
We have eaten at both places and the Sci Fi was so much better. 50's green beans were under cooked and the meatloaf was just bland. Sci Fi's butcher steak was great!

LilGMom
04-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Personally we prefer Sci-Fi. We've eaten at 50s three times before and that was only because we were on the 'three strikes you are out' rule. We try to eat at Sci-Fi at least once a trip, sometimes twice. We've found the food and service at Sci-Fi to be much better than at 50s.

But, like any place, you'll find people that love and hate both.

bunkkinsmom
04-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Looks like it's gonna be a toss up for you! Haven eaten at both, I prefer 50's, although SCI-FI will be a milkshake stop on our next trip for sure!!

weswife
04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
This will be our first trp to Sci-Fi!!!!! We are looking forward to it!!!!:goodvibes We might also try PT 50 not sure yet.:)

Suellen
04-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I am hoping our bad Sci Fi was because it was for dinner.

We always do Deluxe Dining and in the past they have let DD's get shakes for drinks and last time they said no ~ we would have to pay OOP. So we did ~ but it kind of started our meal off on the wrong foot and then the food was cold and bland. Plus lunch and dinner menu were a little different and DH couldn't get what he really wanted.

mom2rb
04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Personally we prefer Sci-Fi. We've eaten at 50s three times before and that was only because we were on the 'three strikes you are out' rule. We try to eat at Sci-Fi at least once a trip, sometimes twice. We've found the food and service at Sci-Fi to be much better than at 50s.

But, like any place, you'll find people that love and hate both.

Same for us. I have never had a great server at 50's Prime Time, I think that makes a difference.

Mommytwotwins
04-18-2010, 10:47 AM
we went to both last June and it would be hard for me to choose. We did lunch at Sci-fi and had the best server ever!!!! She went above and beyond for us without asking. Because it was lunch I went with a sanwich and it was nice and fresh. I also had a shake,I thikn cookies and cream. It was great!!! The kids loved sitting in the car.

The prime time was also very good. Our server called dh pops and told us to keep our elbows off table. She also fed my dh 1 last bite before she would take the plate. I had the pot roast and it is not something I would usually order and thought it was great!

Good luck with your choice!

Suellen
04-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Our server at 50's last time was great! He kept saying he was our cousin and at the end of the meal before we paid DD (2) asked him for a hug. DH said "If you were her cousin you would give her a hug" He got down on her level and gave her a great hug. DH gave him a huge tip. It really pays to go the extra mile and make our kiddies happy.

That being said we also have had a boring server who wasn't into it. It did make the whole thing kind of blah.

:) So servers definitely make a difference!

DisneyMom4964
04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Most def. Sci-Fi. Great atmosphere for everyone and a neat and cool place to eat! Plus.....they got AHAMAZZZING milk shakes!

Planogirl
04-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I would pick one based on whatever theming appeals the most to you. We weren't enthused by the food at either place (of course that's subjective) but they are both cute restaurants. Our server at Primetime was just a regular server so I'm not sure about the interaction you might get.

honeydiane1953
04-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Prime Time goood fooood. just got back yesterday

wildeflowers
04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I love the 50's prime time cafe. It's awesome. Of course, the first time we went there, we got the lady pictured on the restaurant's page on the website. When we made ressies, I asked my husband, "Hey, wasn't that our "Mom" from last time? I hope we get her again." LOL She was awesome, and I really like the food. It's typical home fare, but it's very tasty. I had the pot roast and it was excellent. I absolutely love the place, but I am really into diners anyway. I love that "Mom" hassles my kids for me. It's like taking a meal off. ;)

hurdlertwin
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
When we went to WDW our group ate at Sci Fi and it was a huge disappointment. If possible I would strongly urge you to go to any other place before Sci Fi. The service was slow, we waited 45 minutes after our reservation, food was dry, and they even managed to burn the tofu.

texasdisneygal
04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Eaten at both -- don't ever feel the need to eat at either again ... but if I had to choose -- would definitely choose Prime Time Cafe. We had poor service and so-so food at Sci Fi. The food at Prime Time was better. We prefer Mama Melrose's to either one of those, but that's just us. Hope you like the one you choose!