PDA

View Full Version : Favorite restaurants or dishes retired by Disney

LuluLovesDisney
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I was inspired to ask this question as I was making dinner. I will make the old 'Ohana green beans as a side dish quite often (with bacon, onion, soy sauce) and I was wondering if anyone else has done that: make dishes at home which are no longer available. My husband and I were reminiscing about some favorites which have changed over the years.

I used to love getting the nonfat yogurt shakes and oat bran waffles at Pure and Simple in the Wonders of Life, breakfast aboard the Lilly Belle, the mickey shaped butter at CRT when it was King Stefan's, the steak with red wine butter at Concourse Steakhouse, even the chicken and biscuit casserole from Prime Time not that long ago! I had some friends over and I had pineapple spears with caramel to dip for dessert! No one else knew I was reminded of some great old Disney memories except for me! :)

What dish or restaurant do you miss? Do you ever recreate a recipe?

christinec68
04-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I miss the french toast and hash brown style potatoes at Cape May Cafe's breakfast and the garlic cheese bites at Boatrights and the butterscotch creme brulee at Coral Reef.

And I think it's a shame they stopped serving breakfast at Boatrights. It was delicious, fast and very reasonably priced.

LuluLovesDisney
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Creme-Brulee-390/Disneys-Butterscotch-Creme-Brulee-63.aspx

This sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

Planogirl
04-17-2010, 01:46 PM
There used to be a character meal in DHS that included many of the 'face' characters. I remember that the food was just so-so but the characters were great. We saw Aladdin, Belle, the Beast, Jafar, the Hunchback, Pocahontas and John Smith among others. I have some pictures of John Smith (who was VERY nice looking! ;) )kneeling down talking to DS that are just great and truly all of the characters were very attentive.

christinec68
04-17-2010, 01:57 PM
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Creme-Brulee-390/Disneys-Butterscotch-Creme-Brulee-63.aspx

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

I have to try making this! :banana:

Micca
04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Alfredo's in Epcot:sad1:

JerseyJanice
04-17-2010, 02:48 PM
The Maui potatoes at Ohana were good. I liked the smoked salmon they served there too.

BCV23
04-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I miss Narcoossee's at lunch. Tangaroa Terrace for a great a la carte breakfast and later they added a wonderful buffet. Ditto for the great breakfast buffet and a relaxing a la carte dinner at Papeete Bay Verandah.

Also Steerman's Quarters and Fisherman's Deck on the Empress Lily.

We miss Pink Leilanis at what is now Kona and the GF Tea which was served at the GF Cafe.

DisneyMomx7
04-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I miss Narcoossee's at lunch. Tangaroa Terrace for a great a la carte breakfast and later they added a wonderful buffet. Ditto for the great breakfast buffet and a relaxing a la carte dinner at Papeete Bay Verandah.

Also Steerman's Quarters and Fisherman's Deck on the Empress Lily.

We miss Pink Leilanis at what is now Kona and the GF Tea which was served at the GF Cafe.

I remember them all!

I also miss the Top of the World Dinner Show at the Contemporary.

BCV23
04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I remember them all!

We never made it to that unfortunately. We were waiting for our children to be a bit older and bam....it was gone. Wasn't the breakfast there good though?

MelanieC
04-17-2010, 03:12 PM
LTT used to have two dishes I loved. First was a pork chop entree that may have had some kind of apple stuff on it. I forget it exactly, but it was really good. Then there was a salmon dish that was on some kind of pumpkin bread and squash puree. Both were really great.

Now that I'm vegetarian, I wouldn't have been able to eat them even if they weren't there. Glad there is no temptation not seeing them on the menu.

Hopefully
04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I remember them all!

I too miss the Top of the World Dinner Show. My now adult children still talk about it.

cindermomma
04-17-2010, 04:09 PM
French Toast loaf at the Main Street Bakery. We LOVED it in June 07'...so sad that it's gone! :sad2:

DznyDreamz
04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
My favorite meal and always my first is the chicken flatbread from Hurricane Hannahs!

We drive down from CT and stop overnight in SC. On our last trip, we got up in the morning, had a small breakfast and opted not to stop for lunch on the road because the chicken flatbread was at "home" waiting for me. We were starving by the time we got there, checked in, dropped our bags and headed over to HH's. I placed my order and sat and waited....and waited. My buzzer finally went off. Yea!!! It was finally time for my favorite meal. Sadly, I was met with "we're sorry, the chicken flatbread has been taken off the menu but not yet removed from the sign or the computers. Would you like a cheeseburger instead?". NO, NO I would not :mad: I got a refund and headed over to Tangerine Cafe for a chicken schwarma wrap, which was good, but not what I had my :lovestruc set on.

I wish they had not discontinued this tasty bit of delishousness

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/ciaranwilcox/May1617021.jpg

DisneyMim
04-17-2010, 04:42 PM
The chicken miori at Coral Isle Cafe, Chef Mickey's when it was downtown, The Concourse, (The Wave isn't doing it for me), the great salads for lunch at Odyssey in Epcot, Tangarooa (probably bad spelling) Terrace, The Land Grille Room. Yes these were a long time ago, but I miss them. I could go on and on! I know change is good, but I feel they changed too much.

PixieDustandEeyore
04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I make the CRT cheese breakfast potatoes all the time...and i heard they don't offer them now! They offer a southwest style potatoe now:(
http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_augrat.htm
I make mine with Sharp Cheddar instead of mild as me and DF loveee sharp cheddar over mild. But they taste similar just more cheesey mmm I also found that the recipe was missing a key ingredient so I also added a bit of sour cream and then it was even more dead on

Muddy Rivers
04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I miss the Cajun Popcorn at the Muddy Rivers pool bar at Port Orleans Riverside.

We also definitely miss Figaro Fries from Pinocchio Village Haus!

B-Ride
04-17-2010, 05:32 PM
The Maui potatoes at Ohana were good. I liked the smoked salmon they served there too.

Another vote for the potatoes at 'Ohana.

As for foods we make, the kids and I convince my wife to make the 'Ohana bread pudding once or twice a year despite the fact that she claims it has 1 billion calories.:rotfl2:

onelilspark
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
French Toast loaf at the Main Street Bakery. We LOVED it in June 07'...so sad that it's gone! :sad2:

I miss the French Toast Loaf too! :sad1:

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu213/onelilspark/Disney%20Trip%20February%2009/DisneyTrip09_80.jpg

Muddy Rivers
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I agree. The Top of the World was great!

dhcoffey
04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Our favorite place for breakfast was Tony's. Oh, how I miss that!

Also, could you tell me where I could get the recipe for the green beans? They sound really good.

Heather

ETA: Okay, found the recipe for the green beans and I will be making those!

CandyMandy
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
The lost and sorely missed great ones:

Spoodles: Had the most unique and interesting breakfast dishes WDW ever offered. Was foolishly replaced by a faddish celebrity spot.

http://www.arondaparks.com/images/Spoodles-50907-029.jpg

Concourse Steakhouse: a classic sleeper which was well known for decades among keen foodies for offering the best value for prime beef. The quality per $ absolutely blew away Le Cellier and Yachtsman.

http://www.travelpost.com/MainImages/hotels/13408/Disney%27s_Contemporary_Resort_45627_3_09102006_01 09585468_500.jpg

DebbyLof428
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
The chocolate french toast from the breakfast buffet at Hollywood & Vine

KTJAY
04-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Alfredo's in Epcot:sad1:

This was my favorite too!! :rolleyes:

Joshua_me
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
The Figaro Fries at Pinochcio's Village Haus...

The *original* scotch eggs at Rose & Crown in Epcot. (They recently brought them back, but they're not nearly as good....)

kimbo0569
04-17-2010, 07:08 PM
The pineapple and caramel at Ohana's is one of my favorite desserts. I also miss the cinnamon rolls they used to have at Tony's Town Square when they used to serve breakfast.

Sweet Potato Pancakes with pecan syrup at Boatwright's for breakfast!

I also miss the Fireworks Factory that used to be at Downtown Disney!

Muddy Rivers
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Absolutely loved the Fireworks Factory. My husband still has a T shirt from there and wears it on our trips. The "old Time" Disney cast members always comment on it!

CandyMandy
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I also miss the Fireworks Factory that used to be at Downtown Disney!

Yeah, that was another lost great spot.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Pleasure-Island-b-web.jpg

It was the closest thing has WDW ever offered to a bona-fide barbecue joint and there's nothing comparable now. The ribs (which came in three versions; pork baby backs, Texas beef, and veal back) were even good enough to impress those from regions like Kansas City and Tulsa. When it opened it also offered the only local micro-brewery beers available on property.

http://jamesblowers.name/__oneclick_uploads/2007/12/bbq-ribs.jpg

It was also one of the few TS places in PI that stayed open really late (until 2AM).:cool2:

What made this eatery all the more unique was the quirky theming. It was supposed to be an old fireworks factory that had been destoyed by an explosion . Parts of the walls appeared to have been blown off and there were yellow-and-black "danger" strips all over the place, as well as gunpowder stains on the floors.

christinec68
04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah, that was another lost great spot.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Pleasure-Island-b-web.jpg

It was the closest thing has WDW ever offered to a bona-fide barbecue joint and there's nothing comparable now. The ribs (which came in three versions; pork baby backs, Texas beef, and veal back) were even good enough to impress those from regions like Kansas City and Tulsa. When it opened it also offered the only local micro-brewery beers available on property.

http://jamesblowers.name/__oneclick_uploads/2007/12/bbq-ribs.jpg

It was also one of the few TS places in PI that stayed open really late (until 2AM).:cool2:

What made this eatery all the more unique was the quirky theming. It was supposed to be an old fireworks factory that had been destoyed by an explosion . Parts of the walls appeared to have been blown off and there were yellow-and-black "danger" strips all over the place, as well as gunpowder stains on the floors.

OOOh....I forgot about this place. I went there with my sister way back when and it was soooooooooo delish!!

abubu919
04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
There used to be a character meal in DHS that included many of the 'face' characters. I remember that the food was just so-so but the characters were great. We saw Aladdin, Belle, the Beast, Jafar, the Hunchback, Pocahontas and John Smith among others. I have some pictures of John Smith (who was VERY nice looking! ;) )kneeling down talking to DS that are just great and truly all of the characters were very attentive.

OMG I totally remember this! It used to be one of my favorite restaurants when we went to Disney because of all the characters.

katmittens
04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
My kids, DH and I were just talking about this the other day. We miss BEAVER TAILS from the small cart outside of Canada. We loved them. We also loved the SHE CRAB soup from Boatwright's and the CHICKEN POT PIE from Yacht Club Galley(now Captain's Galley) I also loved the FRENCH TOAST LOAF from the Main St. Bakery. I only had it once and when I went for it again, it was gone. The one show we saw when the kids were much younger and we only got to go to it once was the CHRISTMAS SHOW at the Contemporary. The food was good, turkey, ham, and I think steak or pork, the food was second to the show. It was fantastic. We do find new things that we have to have on every trip, but I do miss the old ones. :love:

HunnyJar
04-17-2010, 08:56 PM
'Ohana's pineapple with caramel. SO GOOD! :lovestruc I miss it so much, but the bread pudding is also good, so that's at least something that makes me feel better about the pineapple being taken off the menu.

Garden Grill's breakfast! I loved, loved, loved that place for breakfast. Dinner is still good, but the breakfast was my favorite meal on property.

I'm also sad to see that Disney took the Boca burgers out of the CS restaurants. So disappointed. I just don't care for the new Garden Burgers. I'll eat them, but I sure don't like them. And regular old white buns.. I want the white buns back!

dvccruiser76
04-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I can't say that I miss the French toast loaf since I never had a chance to order it from the Main Street Bakery, but I did find the recipe on-line and made it for Easter. It was scrumptious :thumbsup2 I only wish I had a chance to try it in Disney.

I also miss a dish that they used to have in Spoodles. I'm not sure about the correct name, but it was a scallops au gratin dish and it was delicious.

And of course my heart always goes out to the Fettucini Alfredo from Alfredo's in Italy. I made it once with a recipe that I found on-line, but it just wasn't the same. It was the BEST I've ever had or will probably ever have again. Long live Alfredo's :littleangel:

Simba's Mom
04-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Resturaunts I miss-Melvin the Moose character Breakfast at FW, Pure and Simple in the Wonders of Life, CRT when the lunch wasn't a character meal. and breakfast at Boatrights. I also miss the Strawberry Swirl at the Enchanted Grove, Pistacchio gelato at BC Marketplace, Peach Tarts at the French Bakery (although they're still on the menu, CMs there say they can't remember when they had them last), and the soup w/ half a sandwich option at CHH. I could probably think of lots more if I thought for a while.

TBdisneyMC
04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
My BF sorely misses the blackened catfish at Coral Reef. He had it when we went last May, but that would be the first and last time. If it was still around, we would definitely be going to Coral Reef this year, but without it, there's no real reason for us to go back.

We also miss Alfredo's. We do like Tutto, but wish Alfredo's was still around.

MinnieLovesMickey
04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I miss the hand cut homemade fries that they used to serve with the rib eye at Grand Floridian Cafe. They now serve it with "parmesan frites" which is just a fancy name for the fries that they serve at all the counter service restaurants at WDW.:eek:

topmonkeygirl
04-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I miss the French Toast Loaf too! :sad1:

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu213/onelilspark/Disney%20Trip%20February%2009/DisneyTrip09_80.jpg

This makes my teeth hurt just by looking at it, wish I would have know about this item. I'm not one of those people who say oh that's too sweet, I don't think there is ever a too sweet.

dvccruiser76
04-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh no, the strawberry swirl ice cream at the Enchanted Grove is gone? :headache:

BriarRosie
04-18-2010, 01:11 AM
I miss the pork and duck "firecracker" (aka egg roll) at Jiko.

And I miss the staples of old-time WDW propaganda:

The "handwich"
Any "buffeteria"

The first was just as it suggested. It was a hand-held sandwich, in a cone shape. I liked the tuna. Crystal Palace used to be a buffeteria before the Pooh infestation. And the spot Chef Mickey's is currently located used to be one, as well. The buffeteria concept was somewhat adapted as food courts.

But the number one thing I miss, cue the reactions of shock and amazement: :rotfl2:

Foie gras. All the foodies who remember when WDW served it a few years ago are nodding their heads in agreement. I just know it. :rolleyes:

Joshua_me
04-18-2010, 01:25 AM
And I miss the staples of old-time WDW propaganda:

The "handwich"
The first was just as it suggested. It was a hand-held sandwich, in a cone shape. I liked the tuna.
Wow.

I'd forgotten all about the "handwich".

If memory serves, it wasn't just one restaurant in the MK that served them, they were available all around the park. The concept was you could just walk around and eat them at the same time without having to sit down. (And really, who wants to sit down when they eat ? ;) )

I kind of remember the tuna one as well....

Planogirl
04-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Oh yes, the Fireworks Factory! That was good. Then it was replaced by the Wildhorse Saloon which was fun and then later something else. And of course now there's nothing there. :(

fla4fun
04-18-2010, 04:02 AM
The Fireworks Factory - hands down, the best hot wings on the planet, and the cornbread they served with them was divine! :angel:

Bonfamille's at POFQ - it was nice to have a TS restaurant at BOTH resorts. :thumbsup2

Concourse Steakhouse - I used to stop on my way home from work two or three times per week to eat there, because I enjoyed it so much. I haven't found anything else I like as well . . . .:sad2:

Chef Mickey's at DTD - good food, great atmosphere, and peach cobbler to die for! :thumbsup2

I also miss the original Citrus Swirls, with the real orange juice. That sherbet type stuff just doesn't cut it with me.

I miss the dark chocolate Spaceship Earth filled with maple mousse that they served at Le Cellier for the millenium celebration. That was the most delicious dessert I've encountered in the World.

MickeyLuvrLauren
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
OOOh....I forgot about this place. I went there with my sister way back when and it was soooooooooo delish!!

I went there on my honeymoon. I loved the cocktails with the sparlers.

chabs
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I miss the stand that was in Liberty Square at the MK that used to make fresh caramel corn.

I also miss Chef Mickey's at DTD.

And before Chef Mickey's was a buffet at the Contemporary-I think it was a regular table service meal. They used to serve cinnamon bread that was cooked in a big bowl so that it filled out over the top of the bowl.

I also remember always wanting to see the Top of the World dinner show and never going-must be why they closed!

KY*Figment
04-18-2010, 11:52 AM
12 layer ice cream cake at Fultons

Simba's Mom
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I just remembered 2 other things-cannoli at PVH, and the entree salad at Pecos Bills that had jicama and a tart vinegarette-like dressing (I think it was called Sue's salad, or something like that).

GenieCat
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
The Starboard Deck sandwich at CHH.

cseca
04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
I didn't know french toast loaf is gone... :( booohooo...

I miss
1. Spoodles Osso Buco... oh the yumminess
2. The Concourse Sticky Mickey
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/1211955_Concourse_steakhouse_sticky_mickey_and_pot ato_2.jpg

3. Crystal Palace's Wild mushroom chicken pasta with basil asiago cream sauce

4. Le Cellier's Salmon with Maple Spoonbread... oh my word... soooooo yummy

NurseNash
04-18-2010, 02:46 PM
We are probably in the minority here... but we really, really miss the old Akershus. We loved it before it became the Princess Character Restaurant. We loved the quaint, cool feeling of the restaurant. We miss the all you can eat Norwegian meals. It was our definite must-do and we feel a lot of the authenticity and charm is gone now that the Princesses have taken over. Part of me feel bad admitting this b/c we truly do love character meals, but we miss the old feel of the way Akershus used to be.

princessallegra
04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I used to love getting the nonfat yogurt shakes and oat bran waffles at Pure and Simple in the Wonders of Life, breakfast aboard the Lilly Belle, the mickey shaped butter at CRT when it was King Stefan's, the steak with red wine butter at Concourse Steakhouse, even the chicken and biscuit casserole from Prime Time not that long ago! I had some friends over and I had pineapple spears with caramel to dip for dessert! No one else knew I was reminded of some great old Disney memories except for me! :)

What dish or restaurant do you miss? Do you ever recreate a recipe?

If this is what I'm thinking of, thank you so much for this!! When my parents first took me to WDW for our first family on-site stay (ASMu to be precise:thumbsup2), I was 12, and we had ONE character breakfast. ALL I can remember about it was that it was on a stationary boat, and had Goofy! I remember being so awkward with braces and embarrassed to take pics with the characters. But I've never been able to figure out WHAT meal that was, because it didn't exist anymore!!! Is this possibly what I remember??? Sorry so long. :goodvibes:goodvibes

princessallegra
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Foie gras. All the foodies who remember when WDW served it a few years ago are nodding their heads in agreement. I just know it. :rolleyes:

Yep. Sure am. I was always the willing payer of any surcharge for the good stuff any chance I could!! Usually V+A's. :thumbsup2

Lamandpercy
04-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I miss the steak kabobs from Spoodles and the Le Cellier bbq filet.

DVCconvert
04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
So many things/places I miss...

beavertails - Epcot
Chicken Yakitori at Yakitori house (epcot's WS)
PB&J's at Aunt Pollys
The Adventureland Veranda (awesome food- Adventureland)
The Odyssey Restaurant in Epcot
The Eastern Winds at the Polly and The South Seas Dining Room
The orginal recipe used for foie gras at Bistro de Paris in Epcot

I'm sure could think of more...but I'd have to raid the frig! :rotfl2: / :(

LVSWL
04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

This Creme Brulee was also at the California Grill. My all time favorite!:worship:

abubu919
04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
The old Dole Whips at MK. They are different than they used to be, more like sorbet now instead of vanilla ice cream and more iced juice (if that makes sense haha)

Rhull
04-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I really miss Ariel's in the Beach Club. My wife and I had dinner there the first night of our honeymoon which also happened to be New Year's Eve. We loved it!

Simba's Mom
04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
We are probably in the minority here... but we really, really miss the old Akershus. We loved it before it became the Princess Character Restaurant. We loved the quaint, cool feeling of the restaurant. We miss the all you can eat Norwegian meals. It was our definite must-do and we feel a lot of the authenticity and charm is gone now that the Princesses have taken over. Part of me feel bad admitting this b/c we truly do love character meals, but we miss the old feel of the way Akershus used to be.

I remember our server there telling us that we had to eat 7 plates of food to be a Viking. We learned quickly that it didn't matter how much or little was on each plate! I liked it there.

Bama_C
04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Concourse Steakhouse: a classic sleeper which was well known for decades among keen foodies for offering the best value for prime beef. The quality per $ absolutely blew away Le Cellier and Yachtsman.

http://www.travelpost.com/MainImages/hotels/13408/Disney%27s_Contemporary_Resort_45627_3_09102006_01 09585468_500.jpg

Yes, this was our "go to" place where everyone could get their favorite... prime rib, filet, burger, and especially missed is the fabulous lobster bisque!! I am still scratching my head as to why they got rid of this restaurant.

pxiedust:

Planogirl
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
If you're in the minority then so am I. We made it a point to dine at Akershus during each trip and it was definitely our favorite restaurant. Now we generally avoid it. :sad1:

mickey2000
04-18-2010, 05:35 PM
The dumbing down of food and menus has been going on for many years :confused3:confused3
I miss the 100% beef hot dogs from Caseys

They are a mix of beef-and-chicken for HEALTH reasons says Di$ney ! :rotfl2::rotfl2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/whereb.jpg

cheshiregirl
04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Maple BBQ filet mignon from Le Cellier. I am going to try the Mushroom filet when we dine there next month, but I can't imagine anything living up to the joy of the old filet.

jking6
04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Maple BBQ filet mignon from Le Cellier. I am going to try the Mushroom filet when we dine there next month, but I can't imagine anything living up to the joy of the old filet.

They will still make you the Maple BBQ Filet. They made it for my DD in December. She loved it.

beeadude
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
So many memories. We would get "dressed up" and go to the Top of the World with our son 8yrs old [now 34]and our 5 year old daughter [now 31]. My favorite memories are of my DH & DD dancing to the big band music there-laughing the whole time. Those breakfast fruit drinks at the Tangora Terrace-yumee.Don't you wish we could turn the clock back-maybe just a little?!

jbm02
04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
My DH STILL (wistfully) talks about a sandwich he got at a quick service counter in Tomorrowland on our honeymoon back in 1991. It was at one of the outdoor stalls, near what is now the Buzz Lightyear ride (the round stall now sells souvenirs, not food). The sandwich was on a big pita roll and was comprised of several boneless chicken wings, in a hot Buffalo sauce. Not the healthiest lunch but boy, was it good! :banana:

FlightlessDuck
04-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The tiramisu recipe at Mama Melrose from 2002 (it was changed at least twice since then).

Oak grilled pork tenderloin with polenta from Mama Melrose (again, haven't seen it since 2002).

The original Figaro Fries at Pinocchio Village Haus.

Joshua_me
04-18-2010, 06:58 PM
I also miss hamburger and hot dog buns that don't fall apart in your hands...

:rolleyes:

sanapunk
04-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Not a food, but I miss the old plastic collectible cups and mickey shaped crazy straws you'd get with a drink!

honeymo78
04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
The restaurant at the Land prior to Garden Grill with the Mickey molded butter statutes
Empress Lilly character breakfast
Concourse Steakhouse
Crockett's Tavern when it was a full service restaurant
Narcoosee's Seven Seas dessert and gator tail appetizer
Any meal at King Stefan's
Top of the the World
Lava cake desserts available at several locations including Liberty Tree Tavern

mickey2000
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
The restaurant at the Land prior to Garden Grill with the Mickey molded butter statutes
Empress Lilly character breakfast
Concourse Steakhouse
Crockett's Tavern when it was a full service restaurant
Narcoosee's Seven Seas dessert and gator tail appetizer
Any meal at King Stefan's
Top of the the World
Lava cake desserts available at several locations including Liberty Tree Tavern

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/DSC03734-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/ccc-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/diz/ccc.jpg

disneymagicgirl
04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Spoodles :guilty:

DISNEY1975
04-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Beef Stew in a bread bowl at LTT (lunch)

I loved it and now try to make my own version at home. Last time I went to DW, they no longer had it.

Oh, and of course, Empress Lilly!

splashmountainjaxson
04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Here are the places I miss......
all of which hold a special place in my Disney heart :love:

Top of the World Lounge -- Belting out 'Hello Dolly' at age 5.
Empress Lily for Dinner -- dressing up, my parents eating lobster, and getting our roses after dinner. I guess this was the 80s precursor to V & A.
King Stephans for early breakfasts
Tangorra Terrace -- yummy breakfasts
South Seas Dining Room @ Poly
Diamond Horse Show Revue -- when they served food & had the floor show.

I guess this list pretty much pinpoints my formative years (the early to mid 80s) at Disney :goodvibes

Carnotaurus
04-18-2010, 10:04 PM
It's been two years since they changed school bread at Kringla Bakeri, and I'm still hoping it's just a dream.

Also ...

-- The old, more Norwegiany Akershus. (I don't mind princesses, I just miss the hotbordt.)

-- Catfish fingers at the Garden Grill. YUM.

-- Casey's hot dogs circa 1998. (Instead of circa yuck.)

-- Pineapple and caramel at Ohana.

-- And the orange Dole Whip that was juice and ice cream swirled. It was so good!

I understand why Disney would experiment with and update menus. But why change something BELOVED -- like school bread and French toast loaf?

-- Finally, the open-faced salmon and egg sandwich at Kringla. Again, incrediyum.

ems_mom
04-18-2010, 11:22 PM
The Monte Cristo at CHH circa 1987...it was awesome!

nicole0992
04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Does anyone remember The Pueblo Room at the Contemporary? It was my father's favorite restaurant and we ate there every trip. I remember they tossed the salad table side and it was so good...

My favorite treat that I still miss today was the Oriental Cheese Dog sold in Adventureland at the eggroll cart. Wish they still offered these.

Planogirl
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
mickey2000, thanks for posting those! Wow, look at the prices. I'm so glad that DS got to enjoy so many of those places when he was little.

CandyMandy
04-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Spoodles :guilty:

Boy, am I with you on that!

Spoodles was a wonderful secret, beloved by those who really know the Epcot resort area well. An amazing blend of an active open kitchen and the only truly Mediterranean menu WDW has ever offered.

The relaxed breakfasts in particular there were truly something special (fire-roasted vegetable frittata - yum and how many other spots at WDW served breakfast smoothies?) But it didn't stop there; I still remember that dinner back in July 2000 where I enjoyed that amazing butternut squash ravioli :love:

http://www.distinctivespecialtyfoods.com/img/butternutravioli.jpg

The open kitchen in action:

http://www.bryangalloway.com/Spoodles7.JPG

The flatbread ovens:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/3772374646_2da45d8192.jpg

Display menu out on the Boardwalk:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/3089144693_37b651f2cf.jpg

View of seating from the entry hall:

http://www.1southerntravel.com/images/dining275.jpg

Yes, we miss you....:guilty:

http://albums.mouseplanet.com/guideicons/BLG405.jpg

Spaceship Tigger
04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I still miss the Pasta Piazza in Epcot (where the Character Spot is now). It was just something a little different from everything else in the World.

I also miss the pre-plated Pooh and Friends character breakfast that was at Artist Point. That was my favorite breakfast at WDW.

princessallegra
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
It's been two years since they changed school bread at Kringla Bakeri, and I'm still hoping it's just a dream.

Also ...

-- The old, more Norwegiany Akershus. (I don't mind princesses, I just miss the hotbordt.)

-- Catfish fingers at the Garden Grill. YUM.

-- Casey's hot dogs circa 1998. (Instead of circa yuck.)

-- Pineapple and caramel at Ohana.

-- And the orange Dole Whip that was juice and ice cream swirled. It was so good!

I understand why Disney would experiment with and update menus. But why change something BELOVED -- like school bread and French toast loaf?

-- Finally, the open-faced salmon and egg sandwich at Kringla. Again, incrediyum.

They had the pineapple and caramel at the Club Lounge last year on our Disneymoon. It was sooooo good!!! :worship::worship::worship:

goodeats
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I've only been to WDW a few times, but I will miss the lovely counter service menu that Tusker House used to have. Healthy and a good value! Also I recall the counter service restaurants used to have original desserts, or at least unique to each restaurant. Now it seems every place serves those prepackaged cakes and brownies thanks to the Dining Plan.

I only went to Alfredo's once (in 2002), but it was fantastic. I just can't imagine that Tutto Italia compares, and by looking at the menu I don't think it does.

At Disneyland I greatly miss the Soap Opera Bistro at DCA. It had a sophisticated menu and a fun theme. Everytime I walk by Playhouse Disney I get verklempt!

ETA - Oh and the bar menus that were unique to each resort. Now it's a streamlined menu identical at each resort. Reminds me of a bar at TGI Fridays instead of the emmersive themed experience that WDW should provide.

bluejasmine
04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Miss the french toast loaf, now I do make it at home atleast every other month, its that good.

Miss the potatos at Ohanas, as well as the big grilled shrimp w/o shells

Miss beaver tails in Canada (am I showing my age now?)

PatsMom
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I remember the Crystal Palace when it was a buffeteria. It was very good - had wonderful breakfast potatoes.

My daughter will forever mourn the barbecue filet at Le Cellier. Sometimes they will make her one, sometimes they can't. Depends on whether the barbecue sauce is leftover from lunch when they have a barbecue sandwich on the menu according to one server we spoke with.

We used to really enjoy eating at Crockett's Tavern too. And we definitely miss Spoodle's. It was a family favorite.

I miss the old Soundstage character breakfast at the Studios.

The pizza place at the Village Marketplace (Minnie Mia's??)

CandyMandy
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
My daughter will forever mourn the barbecue filet at Le Cellier. Sometimes they will make her one, sometimes they can't. Depends on whether the barbecue sauce is leftover from lunch when they have a barbecue sandwich on the menu according to one server we spoke with.

Interesting - the only barbecue sandwich on the LeCellier lunch menu is the Maple Barbecued Grilled Chicken. Does that imply if you are there at lunch you could order the filet and request the "Maple Barbecue" version (as opposed to however it is normally cooked with the mushroom risotto)?

Asking because we have a lunch ressie at LeCellier in June and I'm always interested in "off menu" options!

Ajax
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
At least once during every visit to POFQ since '00, I pause at the old entrance to Bonfamiles and pay homage to a lost friend. We darkened their doorway often, especially at breakfast time. I'd eat enough complimentary beignets to feed Biafra, usually followed by a Cajun Skillet or Memere's French Toast. Excellent coffee with a touch of chicory. Wonderful atmosphere. Great service.

Why the place closed in deference to the Floatworks and Boatwright’s is beyond me; some things that Disney does (like chasing off Dreamfinder) I just don't understand

KimR
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Filet Mignon at Brown Derby.

CandyMandy
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
At least once during every visit to POFQ since '00, I pause at the old entrance to Bonfamiles and pay homage to a lost friend. We darkened their doorway often, especially at breakfast time. I'd eat enough complimentary beignets to feed Biafra, usually followed by a Cajun Skillet or Memere's French Toast. Excellent coffee with a touch of chicory. Wonderful atmosphere. Great service.

Why the place closed in deference to the Floatworks and Boatwright’s is beyond me; some things that Disney does (like chasing off Dreamfinder) I just don't understand

Ajax, here's a time machine back: a beautifully scanned copy of a full breakfast (wow, those skillet names: "Jazz Alley Combo," "Crescent City Combo") and dinner ("Chicken n' Sausage Creole":love:) menu from Bonfamile's Cafe, circa 1995:

http://www.portorleans.org/images/Bonfamilles%20Menu%201995.pdf

Ajax
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Ha! Thanks, Candyman... great minds think alike. ;)

A copy of that menu has been on our kitchen table since last week sometime. Shortly after our return, I was ranting (again) about the demise of Bonfamiles when I felt compelled to google the name. Lo & behold, up popped that site and the menu. I ran off a copy just to torture my family.

BTW, I also came across a post somewhere that claimed that the old kitchen was used on a recent episode of 'Cake Boss', and is now a Disney test kitchen.

PatsMom
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Interesting - the only barbecue sandwich on the LeCellier lunch menu is the Maple Barbecued Grilled Chicken. Does that imply if you are there at lunch you could order the filet and request the "Maple Barbecue" version (as opposed to however it is normally cooked with the mushroom risotto)?

Asking because we have a lunch ressie at LeCellier in June and I'm always interested in "off menu" options!

When we ate dinner there in January, my DD ordered the mushroom filet with no mushrooms and substitute cream cheese mashed potato for the risotto. I jokingly asked if they could throw some barbecue sauce on it to make it just like the old maple barbecue filet. Our server said she would see what she could do. When she brought out the dinner, she said we were lucky, they still had the barbecue sauce from lunch available in the kitchen. My daughter was in heaven and the server got a very good tip!

It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know even without the barbecue sauce, DD has gotten the filet plain with mashed potato several times.

otownguy
04-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Well, then I would be in the same minority. Akershus was my absolute fav, then they went and ruined it with the dreaded characters. Haven't been back since.:sad2:

Also, really dating myself here but does anyone remember the Welch's grape juice stand that used to be in MK years ago. They had red, white, and purple grape juice that I just loved.

Also miss Beaver tails (maple)!

CandyMandy
04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
When we ate dinner there in January, my DD ordered the mushroom filet with no mushrooms and substitute cream cheese mashed potato for the risotto. I jokingly asked if they could throw some barbecue sauce on it to make it just like the old maple barbecue filet. Our server said she would see what she could do. When she brought out the dinner, she said we were lucky, they still had the barbecue sauce from lunch available in the kitchen. My daughter was in heaven and the server got a very good tip!

It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know even without the barbecue sauce, DD has gotten the filet plain with mashed potato several times.

Patsmom, thanks - again, we are doing lunch, but will ask about that substitution (which presumably should be easier given the maple sauce is being employed then). Thanks for mentioning the swap to the cream cheese mashed potatoes from the risotto, too - hadn't thought of that!!!

BEASLYBOO
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I also think Alfredo's was realy much better than Tutto Itallia. As a frois gras lover, I miss it too! Unfortunately Disney dining came very far in the last decade only to stop cold with the introduction of the DDP and Free dining. The restaurants cut back on quality and limit their offerings, it's a disapointment compared to a few years ago.

Ajax
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I also think Alfredo's was realy much better than Tutto Itallia. As a frois gras lover, I miss it too! Unfortunately Disney dining came very far in the last decade only to stop cold with the introduction of the DDP and Free dining. The restaurants cut back on quality and limit their offerings, it's a disapointment compared to a few years ago.

That hit the nail on the head. I think that they heyday of Disney Dining was probably '88 thru '98 or so. I remember some spectacular meals at the Coral Reef and San Angel Inn ordered from dynamic menus. Now, most everything seems to revolve around six or eight entrees from menus that don't often change. On our recent trip, we dined at The Brown Derby, Le Cellier, Fulton's, Raglan Road, Boma, Kona Cafe, Rose & Crown, and the California Grill. We had very good meals at Fulton's, the CG, and the Brown Derby; the rest were just okay. That'd be fine if we were paying $12 at Applebee's. But when you're coughing up $30 for an entree, I want better than 'okay'.

CaptainNemo
04-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I really really miss Askershus also. It was my favorite.
I also miss the clam chowder in a bread bowl at the Columbia Harbor House.

bzlitme
04-19-2010, 07:58 PM
The soup served in a coconut shell at Papeete Bay, the fried ice cream at old golf resort (now Shades of Green) and the Pueblo Room at the Contemporary had great Chicken Parm plus the MOST comfortable chairs on wheels

bzlitme
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree! DDP was the "death" of the truly great Disney food. I still love the atmosphere but the food has gone down hill. Now, I prefer nonDDP restaurants like Il Mulino for good food.

LuluLovesDisney
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Fried ice cream? Wow, that sounds so good!

Thanks to the PP who mentioned handwiches! I didn't think of those in the OP! That was a really unique Disney thing!

Uncleromulus
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
How did I miss this thread????
Anyway--add Sum Chows, Harry's Safari, and Seasons (at the Disney Institute) to the list.
Seasons had a great concept--a different "style"of dinner each night..Monday would be New Orleans night,Tuesday would be Northwest night, Wednesday California night, etc etc. Each night had it's own menu!!
Great spot and I liked it a lot--which is probably why it didn't last:rolleyes1That and it's VERY out of the way location at the Institutes.

MMrules
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Alfredo's in Epcot :sad2:. They had the best food there. I have tried making their signature Fettucine, but it just wasn't the same. I also loved their imported wine. Haven't tried the new restaurant in Italy, because my heart will always belong to Alfredo's.....