PDA

View Full Version : Been hearing bad reviews of 50's Primetime

Tropigal
04-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Has anyone eaten there lately? I've been noticing more bad reviews and we have ADR's for early May there.

Should we keep them or look elsewhere? :confused3 I thought my MIL would LOVE it there!

soonerfan2008
04-16-2010, 06:33 PM
We were there 3 weeks ago. It was very good, and the waiter was entertaining. Our kids- 1, 3 and 7- all loved it.

MinnieLovesMickey
04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
We were there back in Dec and the food was great and our "Cousin Lori" was quite entertaining.popcorn::

ilovejsparrow
04-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Just there last month, had a great meal and a great experience!! Love PTC :lovestruc

madisonwi
04-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Keep them! It was great!!!!

princessallegra
04-16-2010, 07:17 PM
We're eating here for the first time in June, and it's a long awaited ADR. We're not expecting too much in terms of food or service or anything, but neither DH nor I have eaten here and we just want to experience it. I would assume the food would be that of chain-type restaurants. I think we're going to go with the pot roast (my fave!) and the fried chicken. Hopefully it works! We're not too worried though, so I would say stick with your ressie and have a great time!!! :wizard:

aduck126
04-16-2010, 07:22 PM
50s prime time was one of my me and my DH favorite meals. They food was so so but our waiter was amazing! He was from Morocco, I cant remember his name but he was so entertaining. the other wait staff was kind of boring from what i could see but he was really hamming it up for his tables. Honestly, if we didn't have him it would have probably been horrible.

Chelley00
04-16-2010, 07:40 PM
DD and I ate there in Nov. It was nice to have a "homecooked" meal, the food was good and we had fun.

bellefromboston
04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
50s prime time was one of my me and my DH favorite meals. They food was so so but our waiter was amazing! He was from Morocco, I cant remember his name but he was so entertaining. the other wait staff was kind of boring from what i could see but he was really hamming it up for his tables. Honestly, if we didn't have him it would have probably been horrible.

I think we had the same waitor! :goodvibes

levisfam
04-16-2010, 07:59 PM
We've only been there once, but it was pretty good! Home-cooked style was great for our family! :upsidedow

Minniemama350
04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Loved it!

Sugardimples
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't take reviews too seriously. Each review is just one person's opinion. Pick places that appeal to you and form your own opinion.

DisCopper
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
We're eating here for the first time in June, and it's a long awaited ADR. We're not expecting too much in terms of food or service or anything, but neither DH nor I have eaten here and we just want to experience it. I would assume the food would be that of chain-type restaurants. I think we're going to go with the pot roast (my fave!) and the fried chicken. Hopefully it works! We're not too worried though, so I would say stick with your ressie and have a great time!!! :wizard:

Wow. I have all kinds of things to say about this (none of them bad- don't worry!)

Food: While it's certainly not fine dining, I've always found it pretty decent. And I've been 8 or 9 times over the years. Don't get your expectations WAY up, but don't let them be low. It's probably a little above "chain restaurant" in my opinion.

Service: The service has always been great for us. When it comes to standard stuff that you expect in a restaurant (drinks refilled, attentive waiter, etc...), it's all there. The fun and games is a big plus though.

Quoting: "I think we're going to go with the pot roast (my fave!) and the fried chicken:" I'm NOT being negative about this... to each his own. But I laughed when I read it. Not only have you booked ADR's, but you've decided what to eat? I was at Chefs de France in EPCOT earlier this week and saw a lady sit down, glance at the menu (for like 5 seconds) and then tell the waiter exactly what she wanted. I guess I'm an amateur at planning. I'm going to use this the next time someone tells me that I plan too much! But I'm still not planning what I eat. It will be what I feel like at the moment.

And OP.... add me to the list of people who like the restaurant!

gzh6464
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Benn twice...most recently a few weeks back.

It's not gourmet but when is comfort type food gourmet? Decour reminded me of my parents old kitchen.

Our waiter was great...really played the part...even seemed to have time
to sit at our table and chat up life a bit...lot's of fun...niceexperience...and the peanut butter and jelly shake was decadent (DD loved it so much she had me try to make it when we got home...50's was better!)

auntie
04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
The food is fine. It's more the experience that you go to Prime Time Cafe for.
If you haven't been..I wouldn't miss it. You'll have a good time, plenty of laughs.
Oh..the PBJ shake is great for desert. ;)

crazyfordisney2000
04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
We went in Sept and our waitress was a dud. Complete. dud. SO maybe just ask when checking in if it's possible to have a waiter/waitress that is "in character". I'm sure they will seat you accordingly. I've read previously here on the dis that some people do request it, I figured we'd be fine by not requesting it but .. alas.. we have learned a lesson.

auntie
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
We went in Sept and our waitress was a dud. Complete. dud. SO maybe just ask when checking in if it's possible to have a waiter/waitress that is "in character". I'm sure they will seat you accordingly. I've read previously here on the dis that some people do request it, I figured we'd be fine by not requesting it but .. alas.. we have learned a lesson.

I think that's a really good idea. :thumbsup2
We've visited here several times, and for the most part the wait staff has been in character, but we have had a time or two, when we didn't get the full treatment. We probably wouldn't have even realized it, had it not been for the fact that we've visited before.
I think your suggestion for asking for wait staff that is in character is something I would definetly do myself.

bangzoom6877
04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
We have a lunch ADR there in July, and I don't worry too much about negative reviews. If you look enough, you will find both positive and negative reviews about every Disney restaurant! In some cases people set their expectations very high. In other cases, people just think the food at WDW is overpriced for what you are getting...they pay the Disney prices so they expect gourmet food. I don't expect gourmet food at a Disney restaurant...but I do expect an a la carte TS to be slightly better than a chain like TGI Friday's or something like that.

That said, we did all buffets and family-style meals on our last trip, some of which got bad reviews for the actual food (several were character meals for the boys), yet we enjoyed all of them and didn't find any of them to be bad...granted, at 1900 Park Fare, DH didn't think they had enough of a choice, but the food wasn't bad or inedible by any stretch.

hookedonears
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
50's PT use to be a staple for us. However, the last time we ate there, the food tasted more like a Cracker Barrel. Antics use to be the thing that kept people coming back. The last time we ate there, the service and even the antics weren't good at all.

SereneOne
04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
We went to 50's Prime Time Cafe during spring break (Mar 28th-Apr 4, 2010) and we enjoyed it. Mikey was our waiter and he was great!:goodvibes

jdisnut
04-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't take reviews too seriously. Each review is just one person's opinion. Pick places that appeal to you and form your own opinion.
Bingo! Don't bother listening to reviews on these boards. They vary so drastically at literally every restaurant. If the 50's Prime Time Cafe seems appealing, try it yourself and form an opinion. I had read dozens of scathing posts about Kouzzina. It is now one of my three favorite restaurants on property. The same can be said about 'Ohana, which has gone from the darling of the DIS to a dud in a matter of months.

Personally, I have been to 50's Prime Time twice and enjoyed it enough both times. I would return, especially with people who have never experienced the place. I think of this restaurant as an attraction more than a dining establishment. The food is just decent. The atmosphere is unique and classic Disney.

Zippa D Doodah
04-17-2010, 12:50 AM
50's PTC is a treat! We have eaten there twice, most recently when DW and I celebrated our anniversary this past January. The food is good. DW enjoyed the pot roast. I got the fried chicken which was OK, but a tad greasy. IIRC the greens were good but potatoes were nothing special. Also, they serve overly generous portions, so come hungry. Remember the advice our excellent server gave us: "No Tower for at least one hour". :goodvibes

Mysteria
04-17-2010, 01:08 AM
50's is a must do for us. Always had excellent food (home cooking style). Waiter/waitress can be hit or miss but it also depends on your reaction to them. For example, If you sit there looking like you aren't fun loving they won't treat you like you are.

Planogirl
04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
50's PT use to be a staple for us. However, the last time we ate there, the food tasted more like a Cracker Barrel. Antics use to be the thing that kept people coming back. The last time we ate there, the service and even the antics weren't good at all.
We must have really gone on an off night because we like Cracker Barrel and didn't like 50's PT nearly as well!

However I always feel that (most) places deserve another chance and people should really form their own opinions. Our waitress wasn't in the spirit of the place either so that might have added to our disatisfaction.

Cookie Princess
04-17-2010, 08:02 AM
We at lunch at 50's PT every year and NEVER had a bad experience until last year. The food was lousy. The meatloaf was dry and hard. My husband's chicken pie had fatty/grissly chicken in it. We were SO disappointed. I am crossing my fingers that it was just a blip. We will try it again, but maybe not this year.

Our service was good, and the onions rings and desserts were fine. The PB&J shake was still tasty.

Hugpug
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM

I agree not everyone likes the same thing. Just an examble is LeCellars everyone raves about this place and I was very disappointed with service and some of the food was awful for my taste IMHO. So that being said go and judge for yourself.

Ron from Michigan
04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
We ate there this past December and had a wonderful meal as always.

metzgardesign
04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I enjoyed it muchly, the last time we went.

Ordered the chicken, and it came with collard greens as the side. I tried, best I could to cover the greens up (not a fan of those at all) with my napkin before the waiter took my plate away. He noticed and brought my plate back, as he was walking away, and very much in character, chastised me for not cleaning my plate. Made me eat a forkful of the greens. We all had a great laugh at that. Good times.

Go and have a good time. We always enjoy the experience.

webster76
04-17-2010, 09:29 AM
I totally agree with the folks saying try it yourself and ignore the opinions of others. Even your favorite restaurant at home sometimes misses the mark, yet you probably go back. We love 50's and never miss going there during our stay. Chefs de France is another of my favorites! Yet if I was disappointed on one visit that wouldn't keep me from going back. It's your vacation ...do it your way.:goodvibes

vettegirl
04-17-2010, 09:33 AM
It was our favorite meal last May, the pot roast, strawberry shakes, fried chicken, and Dad's brownie sundae were delicious. Keep it your ressie it's a great place to eat and fun too!

Belle4mygrl
04-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Our first visit in December was great. I was extremely hesitant due to our past experiences at H&V. 50's Primetime is a must now. Great server and the fried chicken is the best chicken in the "world", imho.

daisygirl902
04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
We loved it! Both the food and the service was great! the PB&J Shake was the best milkshake I have ever tried - so good!

I agree with PP that you have to be careful with reviews around here....there are many places that get consistently bad reviews on the boards that we love - WCC and Kouzzina are 2 of my favs! yet many people LOVE the Luau and I thought it was a total dud...to each his/her own...try it and judge for yourself!

texasgirl73
04-17-2010, 12:16 PM
If I had let the reviews get to me I would have canceled Coral Reef, Yak and Yeti, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Princess Storybook lunch (which were all getting slammed on the boards just before my last trip) but I decided to keep the ressies and I'm glad I did. I also have a reservation at 50's Primetime and I hate when I read something negative but I'm going to stay strong and keep it for the kiddos (who all say they are going to put their elbows on the table just to see what happen:upsidedow)

LuluLovesDisney
04-17-2010, 01:21 PM
ITA that Prime Time is all about the experience, not the food. The food isn't bad, but it is not gourmet. That said, I do enjoy the pot roast and you can't go wrong with a PBJ shake- where else can you get that?

disneyjay
04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
It was a great experience for us. Food was ok, but very fun unique meal.

woodsluvdis
04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
We ate at 50's in December....the food was still terrific...service was good...had reservation and only waited 5 minutes for table...the shakes are the best.

PoohsFan1
04-17-2010, 03:14 PM
We went there a few weeks ago and it was good, I wouldn't say excellent, but good. Our "cousin" was o.k., but I did have to get up and sing "I'm a Little Tea Pot" because the "cousin" for the next the next table saw me laughing at what they were doing and that was my "punishment". Other than that, the food was good but the S'more's dessert was to die for. This was our second time eating there and plan to do other restaurants before heading back....next on our list is Sci-Fi.

Forever Fairy
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
IMO - the best comfort food on property. Usu sally it's just me and my DH. We've done the experience before, so we usually sit at the bar - which is full service. Dave the bartender is EXCELLENT!

arcticdisneylovers
04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
We went in late January; we had great service and great food! It's on our return list for next year. You might want to consider sharing plates, we thought the portions were huge. The fried chicken has four pieces. :thumbsup2

BadgerBruce
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
We ate at Prime Time last week. The waitstaff was fun & the tv clips brought back some great childhood memories. The fried chicken was delicious, Dad's Brownie Sundae just ok. Had a good time & would definitely return for the chicken!

webprinter
04-21-2010, 08:16 PM
We were there in Dec also and had a great time. Our waiter wasn't especially funny or entertaining but it was fun watching the others. It might have been because our youngest child is 18. All three were trying to egg him on without much luck. The food was very good including the gluten free fried chicken that DDIL ordered. DS does not need GF food but tasted his wife's and agreed it was very good. In fact, he finished hers up when she wasn't able to finish. We enjoyed it so much, I can't wait to go back. I am not a fan of pot roast but I actually liked theirs. It was very flavorful and moist. Of course, I can't say enough good about my fried chicken.

Dizzymrslizzy
04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Loved it in September as did the rest of my family.