PDA

View Full Version : Eating Near HS

4under4
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
We will be at HS for two of the 3 days of the last Star Wars weekend. I have ADRs for Playhouse breakfast and Sci Fi for dinner, but I'm really not excited about the Sci Fi (not sure the 4 yr olds will like it, and we can't all sit together). None of the other restaurants really thrill me. I could go back to H&V for a dinner buffet, but it seems silly to eat at the same restaurant twice when there are so many to choose from.

How hard would it be to leave the park for a resort dinner and go back (we plan to see Fantasmic both nights so we would be going back)? I don't want to go too far or waste too much time, but I really want to have a nice meal. We are on the dining plan and have two picky-eaters (ds8 & ds6) / two adventurous eaters (DS/DD4).

Any thoughts? I wold love to try Kouzzina but I can't find a kids menu. Or the Maya Grill looks good too. ANY suggestions would be welcome (or just tell me to stick with the Sci Fi ressie and be happy!). :scared:

eelkmj01
04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Kouzzina would be relatively easy since it's at the Boardwalk. You could take a ferry or walk. I think the Maya Grill would be a bit more time consuming since you'd have to go to CS. Here's the link to Kouzzina's kids' menu

http://allears.net/menu/menu_kouzkd.htm

PictureJumpr
04-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I haven't yet tried Kouzzina, but the general reviews are not great.

Maya Grill would be quite a trip - I'd check out the options at the Epcot resorts...

Beach Club does the Cape May Clambake (seafood buffet)
Beach Club also has Beaches & Cream (burgers & ice cream); they do not accept ADRs, so you'd have to gamble with time on this one
Yacht Club has the Captain's Grille - one of my personal favorites (steaks/chops/crab legs)
Boardwalk has the aforementioned Kouzzina, and also the ESPN Grill.

We also like the 50s Prime Time in DHS; it's not fancy but the food has always been good. It's next door to the H&V.

mouselovenfamily
04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
We are leaving HS too for dinner and are going to try Big River Grill. You may wnt to check out that menu.:goodvibes

Tinkerbellie16
04-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I LOVE 50s primetime cafe at HS. Great food, ambience, and fun for the whole family!

You can hop on the boat to Swan/Dolphin if you want. Bluezoo is fabulous (I've eaten there) but I'm not sure if the kids will love the seafood. The Swan has the Italian restaurant too which has gotten good reviews.

I haven't tried Kouzzina but unlike others, I have been reading a lot of good reviews (and yes, some bad ones too - but no restaurant appeals to everyone).

The ESPN club at the Boardwalk might appeal to the kids more if they are into sports.

jdisnut
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
We had a wonderful experience at Kouzzina, and I strongly recommend it. I suggest skipping Maya Grill and sticking with the restaurants in the Epcot resort area. There are plenty of tasty options within walking distance.

The ferry is comfortable and pleasant, but I typically choose the pathway. Traveling by foot is not always appealing after a long day of touring, but it's a lovely walk on a nice day. By the time you reach the restaurant, you will have built up a big appetite and will feel less guilty indulging in a sundae at Beaches & Cream after so much exercise.

MinnieLovesMickey
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Have you thought about doing the the Fantasmic Dining Package? DH and I eat at Mama Melrose's. It's $32.99pp (not sure how much for kids:sad2:). Each gets an app, entree, dessert and non alcohol drink. They have a pretty good menu. I've tried the pepperoni flatbread (thick slices of pepperoni) and the chicken pipette pasta, both are very good.

Also love the food at 50's!:thumbsup2

pixarmom
04-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Have you thought about doing the the Fantasmic Dining Package? DH and I eat at Mama Melrose's. It's $32.99pp (not sure how much for kids:sad2:). Each gets an app, entree, dessert and non alcohol drink. They have a pretty good menu. I've tried the pepperoni flatbread (thick slices of pepperoni) and the chicken pipette pasta, both are very good.

Also love the food at 50's!:thumbsup2

We really love Mama Melrose! We haven't done the Fantasmic! package there, but we think they have good food, reasonable prices and relaxing atmosphere. When we were there last month, the service was outstanding, too! (And we have 3 boys - aged pre-school to pre-teen.)

We stayed at BC last trip, and thought the walk around Crescent Lake was really nice, and easy to get to the Boardwalk for restaurants if you decide to go that route.

P.S. Also loved Brown Derby - my new favorite restaurant at WDW - and our pickiest eater found some great options on the kids' menu!

levisfam
04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I have to agree that The Big River Grill was awesome! The whole family loved it and we have 2 very picky eaters (DD 5 & DS 9).

itchin2go
04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Don't forget about Flying Fish. :)

For families, I really think Mama Melrose has an appealing menu. There's also 50s Prime Time ....

Beaches & Cream might not qualify as a *nice* dinner, but it's cute and fun, and definitely has a family friendly menu.

Getting from DHS to the Epcot resort area (BW, BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin) is SO easy and SO fast.

If you have hoppers, you could HOP on over to Epcot for dinner too ....

I wouldn't go past that Epcot resort area/Epcot and try to get back for Fantasmic. If you're done for the night, you could go anywhere, but to go somewhere and then come back, I think you definitely need to stay in that area.

auntie
04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd also recommend Mama Melrose. You really can't go wrong there.

Robert P
04-16-2010, 09:08 PM
For a nearby meal, I would say the Swan/Dolphin are the best bet. You can go fancy (Il Mulino, BlueZoo, Shula's) or casual (Cabana, The Fountain, Picabu). The S/D boat ride takes 7-8 minutes of travel time, and you could easily walk it in 15 minutes if you just miss the boat.

Witherbark
04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Personally, I find the dining choices at HS appeal the least to me. I didn't have a good experience at Mama Melrose's last year. I do love The Fountain at the Dolphin. It's convenient to HS (boat ride) and has a diner style menu - great vegetarian sloppy joe's.