PDA

View Full Version : Dinner w/ kids at Epcot - Garden Grill or Biergarten?

nilseks
04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Trying to plan out our ADR's for October. We will have 2 evenings at Epcot, and one one of them we definitely want to do Le Cellier. Husband *really* wants to do Biergarten but we will have 3 picky boys (ages 5,7,9) in tow. I am thinking of the Garden Grill character meal. Part of the draw of Garden Grill is that it's family style--don't have to worry about getting 3 boys through a buffet.

My kids won't be crushed or anything if we don't do the character meal--we are doing several others. But if we do go to Biergarten, will the show entertain boys of that age? And will there be enough variety to fill their picky bellies?

eelkmj01
04-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't know if the show at Biergarten will be as entertaining to children. Also, the food at Biergarten is quite authentic German cuisine. I think picky eaters may be more enticed by the mainstream dishes served at GG.

mickeysgirl17
04-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Out of the two, you should probly choose Garden Grill. I will say though, that I have been to Garden Grill and I truly did not like it. The service was good and I thought the rotation of the restaurant was entertaining and different, but the food was terrible. Very bland and borring. When we went, characters were going around and although Dale and pluto were great, chip and mickey were not very good. They were rushed and seemed out of character. If it were me, I'd consider a different restaurant.

OKWNutt
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Most kids that age love the entertainment at the Biergarten. They can go up to the dance floor - dance and jump around to their heart's content to the Polka music. :dancer:Just be aware that the band typically only plays about 20 minutes every hour so you may have to do some research and find the entertainment schedule so that your ADR is about 20 minutes before the time the band plays. That way you can get the kids through the line and they can eat some before the music starts. The worst case scenario is sitting at the table for 40 minutes before the band plays - something I would not want to do with three active boys.
As far as the food goes they have pork schnitzel, sausages, breads and some other items that they will probably like IF they are willing to try them. If they are real picky and not willing to try anything they are not familiar with - the Beirgarten may not be the best choice

bricorssk
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
The Garden Grill is the worst meal we had on our trip! There were 8 of us and all of us hated it

Hootch
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
love Biergarten. There is quite a variety of food. My kids are very picky also but find plenty to eat.

butiflfeet
04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Biergarten!

My nieces and nephews loved it there and had lots of fun. The food (and beer) was great too. I'm pretty sure they have the standard kid food like macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, etc. available along with more authentic German food too.

momtwoboys
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
My boys love BOTH places!! So we are at Garden Grill this Sat and Biergarten next wed!!! YUM! We loved the food served to us at Garden Grill, and the characters were great. At Biergarten, my boys love the Chicken legs, roasted potatoes, carrots, rolls with butter, and the desserts! We eat there every year, and our younger son is Asperger's...we just seat him furthest from the "strangers" and he loves it. The bells that they play are very interesting. Oh yeah and hubby gets a big beer:lmao:

chitown_disneylovers
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
We ate at Biergarten with 6 kids ages 2-9 years old and each one loved the live entertainment and found something to eat at the buffet.

Garden Grill was OK but there's limited food selection there and we waited 45 minutes past our ADR time. :eek:

myAAbatteries&aTD
04-15-2010, 01:40 PM
My kids LOVE the Biergarten! They like the food and the entertainment and we always spend over an hour in there......

RMulieri
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
My family loves both.But be aware that Biergarten is not like other WS restaurants.There are really no kiddie offerings on the buffet( no chicken tenders etc).There are little sausages and a Mac and cheese dish as well as rotisserie chicken.My 6 yr old is picky and found enough to eat, but much preferred Garden Grill

Golf4food
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
The Biergarten is pretty kid friendly, especially when you add in the entertainment and the fact that they want kids to come down and dance and play. Lots of options on the buffet - it isn't all saurkraut and sausages (neither of which I touch).

Throw hubby a bone. :)

Johnson1220
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Biergarten ... it is the best! They do have macaroni and cheese, sausages that can pass for hot dogs, warm pretzels, lots of good desserts ...

You do sit with strangers but most are friendly. If you are lucky you get a table near the stage and dance floor.

nilseks
04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
LOL Golf4Food, great response, yes I will throw hubby a bone! :lmao:

After reading all of the responses, I feel like the kids will be okay at Biergarten. Le Cellier was actually hubby's first choice but Biergarten was the only other thing he asked for. And he got bumped from it our last time because our flight was late. We are doing 3 other character meals--Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Faire and Confisco Grille (Seuss) at Univeral. So I think we will, in fact, throw dad a bone! :rotfl:

Minniemama350
04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
LOVED the Garden Grill! My picky kids even loved it!

DizGirl20
04-15-2010, 09:18 PM
For whatever its worth, we enjoyed the Garden Grille very much... and we are trying Biergarten in a few weeks. Don't think you will go wrong with either.

Just stay away from the Sci-Fi!!! :sad2: