PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

jspoole
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
On the boards last year someone asked the question about people still planning disney trips and trips to other various places with the economy getting so bad. And I noticed the replies went something like " My dh and I have secure jobs that are not threatened by the economy. I just wonder how many people on here had what they thought was a secure job last year and now are out of a job?

Teachers are losing jobs, policeman are losing jobs, state workers are losing jobs, lawyers are losing jobs, cpa's are losing jobs. All these jobs a couple of years ago were considered "Secure jobs"

Donaldswife
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
On the boards last year someone asked the question about people still planning disney trips and trips to other various places with the economy getting so bad. And I noticed the replies went something like " My dh and I have secure jobs that are not threatened by the economy. I just wonder how many people on here had what they thought was a secure job last year and now are out of a job?

Teachers are losing jobs, policeman are losing jobs, state workers are losing jobs, lawyers are losing jobs, cpa's are losing jobs. All these jobs a couple of years ago were considered "Secure jobs"

My husband and I both still have our jobs, and he works for the state government and I work for a manufacturer.
:thumbsup2

Jennia
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I work for a national non profit agency that gets funding from NSF and I still have my job (hours were increased, also).

Irin997
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Still have my State job but we've had furloughs, salary reductions, and no bonuses, cost of living adjustments, or salary increases in 3 years this June. Fun times.

bettymae1121
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
DH and I have the definition of UN-secure jobs. I'm a corporate travel agent and he works for a major newspaper! :eek:

Oddly enough, our individual circumstances are that our jobs are quite secure. DH has enough senority that the only way he loses his job is if the paper folds (unlikely, they're still turning a profit) or if he commits gross insubordination or something of the sort. My job, I don't work for a travel agency but for a non-profit doing their all of their business travel (and a few personal vacations too). My non-profit just put $10M in reserves so no worries there.

Now of course, never say never, but unless something truely unusual happens at one of our companies, we should both be fine for at least the next few years. That said, we are in a position that we could live on just one of our incomes, not counting any unemployement he or I would get. It would be a lot of rice and beans, but we could survivie on 45% of our current combined income if we absolutely had to.

Tnkrbelle565
04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Still have my State job but we've had furloughs, salary reductions, and no bonuses, cost of living adjustments, or salary increases in 3 years this June. Fun times.

Same here...:headache:

Bren's Mom
04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I still have my municipal public safety job, although we're currently out of contract and awaiting an arbitration award (which could be $0 raise) and our health insurance premiums and copay went up last September (although still well below what everyone else pays). My dh still has his private sector public safety job, no cut in pay, change in bonus structure.

JamesMom
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
My husband works for a mortgage industry that requires his company's service regardless of situation. Need to refinance? Need a first mortgage? Short sale? Foreclosure? His company's service is necessary for all these transactions. He is also highly regarded by his peers and upper management (including VPs). We believe his position is very secure.

He has worked here for three years and has gotten only one salary increase (but it was substantial) and are not looking for another one for at least a year or two. Actually I would be happy with more vacation time in lieu of raise.

LWatson
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
DH still works for the Army.

cheerforchelsea
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
DH and I both work for a large homebuilder - and we are still working.

DAISYDUCKRN
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
being a nurse with my BSN has given me job security. i am able to work as much or as little as i want. i have the ability to land a nursing job anywhere because of my diverse nursing background and education. i am thankful that the economy has not affected my job.

luvmarypoppins
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
My dh works for the govt. He does a very specialized job and is internationally known by some people so they are keeping him around for sure.

SunnieRN
04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Also in nursing, except that in this economy, nothing is for certain.

rparmfamily
04-14-2010, 06:44 PM
DH is still active duty Navy, I'm still a SAHM. Our job situation hasn't changed and won't I'd dare say.

Still getting cost of living increases, pay raises, promotions,etc.

southtexasmom
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
We own a oilfield company, 2009 was our best year yet since we started in 2004.

jspoole
04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
OP here. Gosh that's great to hear about jobs that are actually still going. My husband is a Plumbing Contractor and our company has been swamped. But my dh knows so many plumber, contractors and electrions that hasn't had any work for months and months. We are seeing alot of people in our area that if they are still working their pay has been cut 10% and so forth, losing all health care benefits, losing 401 contributions, reduced work weeks, unpaid leave.

kkmcan
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
My dh is a firefighter (10 years in his dept) and I just got a job as a spec. ed aide this past August. I will be returning next year since the little boy I work with still needs an aide.

Our jobs are secure. His should be completely secure. Mine may not be in a few years but thats ok as I can always find another spec ed aide position.

hrh_disney_queen
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
DH still has his job, I guess parents are still willing and able to spend $300/credit hour for their snowflakes to go to art school.:eek:

RachaelA
04-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I work for a law firm that deals with evictions and collections. People will always owe money and our clients will always want to sue them. Actually business is booming now due to the economy. More and more people are breaking their leases. We had our best year ever last year.

saffron1000
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I am a registered nurse and feel that my job is quite secure. My DH on the other hand has returned to college because his construction job went down hill. I feel lucky that I have a career that can support our family in the mean time!!!

SKWDW
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Same...but mine is County instead of state. It's even more fun now that the Board just approved a huge increase in our health care premiums, and the State just announced a larger contribution to retirement. Fun times indeed!

mommy2allyandaveri
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I am in the healthcare field, I don't do patient care. I still have a job, infact got a raise on this paycheck:cool1:

DH is a teacher and still has his job. He has enough seniority that he should remain fine and I know he has a job for next year. But they are talking about furloughs.

You just never know though. I am very thankful that both DH and I have good jobs.

beansmom
04-14-2010, 07:39 PM
DH is a physician and that is probably one of the most secure. I work for him and until he really p*sses me off, I'll stay there. ;) After that, i'll sit on my butt eating bonbons and watching Dr. Oz. :rotfl:

chicagodisneyfan
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Yep - still have the jobs, still secure. My husband and I (ages 37 and 41) made the most money we EVER made in 2009.

Completely confident that we will have our jobs next year.

Calliaz
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
DH and I both have our jobs and we are thankful. My assignments are down and so is my pay (consequently), but I believe it is not because of the economy based on what I'm hearing. Neither of us has really had our jobs affected so far.

MomToOne
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I work in IT, at a company that is tied to car sales and loans. It was not a good year for us last year, to say the least. Layoffs right and left, salary reductions for those of us still here along with other benefit cuts.

Good news is we're pretty sure we've hit bottom - finally. Those of us left at least feel like when we leave at night we'll have a job to come back to tomorrow. And it seems like that is the general impression out there right now, not just at my company - if you've managed to survive and keep a job up to now, you are feeling a bit better about it not going away. But if you lost your job, it's still really hard to find another one...

PammieJ
04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I work in healthcare. Plenty of work but no raise for over a year.

DH (an ironworker) has been out of work for nearly 18 months. We've always been pretty frugal and living well within our means, so we can still afford to take our Disney vacation this year, and things will improve eventually.

traviesojmt
04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
DH is still active duty Navy, I'm still a SAHM. Our job situation hasn't changed and won't I'd dare say.

I could have posted exactly the same thing except that my DH is AF. The AF generously paid him a big bonus to remain in for another 4 years. At that point we have 2 years until retirement, so I feel confident that he job is secure.

There are days that I wish someone would fire me from my SAHM position, but alas, it appears that job is secure too. ;)

Swimalie
04-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Same here except my husband works for the Fed Govt. I'm a stay at home mom as well.

DisneyMomma81
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I work for the fed government ~ they've offered OT for the past 4 Saturdays.

eliza61
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Dh works for a major oil company so as long as we keep driving big suv's in this country it's a pretty safe industry to work in.

I'm in chemical research. We haven't had layoffs but I haven't had a raise in 3 years.

muscarello4
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I know many teachers are losing their jobs. I am a special breed. I teach middle school and high school math. There are not nearly enough of us to go around. Math isn't going away! I'm pretty darn secure. (But I chose to go into math for precisely that reason.)

:teacher:

2005s4
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I own my own business. although the products I sell are a novelty.. rich people like to spend money :rotfl:

Sinderelly
04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I work for a personal injury law firm. We are really busy! It seems like the worse the economy gets the busier our office is. DH is a prosecuting attorney. There will always be people breaking the law. :headache:

Duckyiam71
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
My DH is in the Army so he is for sure secure. I work for a national coffee chain. I was responsible for closing a store but my job is fairly secure unless I decide to call it quits.

Costumesaremylife
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
DH still has his job, I guess parents are still willing and able to spend $300/credit hour for their snowflakes to go to art school.:eek:

First, thank goodness people are sending their kids to art school because it's putting food on your table.

Second, what exactly is wrong with art school? Did art suddenly stop being relevant or important?

I am glad that people still send their children to art programs.

DisneyLover83
04-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Dh works in investments/finance, even though many people would view it as insecure at this point, his company has posted record profits the last two years because they make money whether you buy or sell.

pal-mickey
04-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm a nurse and I feel secure in my job. My husband is in customer service. So far his job seems secure, but there have been many of his co-workers let go.

Cdn Gal
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I have 12+ years of teaching experience so I am OK. My DH is getting his Francais qualifications to teach so hopefully next fall he will have full time employment! :banana: :yay: No more supply teaching!!!! :dance3:

mamalle
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
nurse here and hubby is a firefighter/medic.

jsmith
04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
My husband is in the army and i work for a major defense contractor-and we are still fighting a war-so we will keep working.

Mom2apirate&princess
04-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Dh is active duty Air Force. We just moved from Italy to Texas. We were making a lot of extra money with COLA (cost of living overseas allowance), so I definitely miss that. But dh just got promoted to E7 this month.

I'm a SAHM and a full time student. Dh is two years away from completing his doctorate degree. He has just over 4 years left until retirement.

I'd say we are secure.

DisneyFirefly
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm a CNA (nurse's aide, which means I do everything the nurses at my facility don't have time or the motivation to do), and DBF is a trucker. My bosses love me, as do his, so neither of us are going anywhere.

Claire&TheBoys
04-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Lots of military on here! My husband is a mobilized Army Reservist, but when his TDY is over, he'll go back to his civil service job at a Navy base. When he started there last year, he got a 17.5% raise from his previous job at a government contractor, who had given him a 30% raise from his job before that, plus a 10% bump at his 1-year anniversary. In the meantime, his Captain's salary in the Army is almost exactly the same as his civil service salary, plus we get the Housing allowance, which is quite a lot for our area.

I'm mostly a SAHM, work a few hours a week for a CPA. As long as people still have tax returns and payroll taxes to do, my job's secure. They would love it if I'd work full-time but I won't.

Aisling
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
My dh works for the govt. He does a very specialized job and is internationally known by some people so they are keeping him around for sure.

Are his initials B.O.?;)

My_3_Mi_Princesses
04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Working in the auto industry we were one of the first hit when the economy started to tank. Many layoffs later I still have a job (thankfully). Now while the economy is still bad in many areas the auto industry is starting to recover (very slowly but still) so today I feel semi-secure, but much more secure than last year at this time.

DW is a nurse, she is so secure its crazy.

iwrbnd
04-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, I thought we were secure since my husband is a family practice doctor and I'm a teacher (currently working for Parents As Teachers). I thought people will always be sick and children will always need to be taught so we would be okay when the recession first hit. I was wrong! My husband's practice is having a hard time making payroll so the physicians are going to reduce their salary and budget cuts have severely threatened my position. In fact, just tonight I asked my supervisor when we would know if we should start looking for another job. She said "Start looking!":scared1: Yep, it's bad here in my small town.

brandylouwho
04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
I work in our local/city government (after losing a job in the mortgage industry in 2008). Still have my job, but we reopened our contracts only 6 months after they had been signed and agreed to a two year wage freeze in order to ensure there are no layoffs in our department in those two years.

Hubby is in sales and survived the big layoff about 1 year ago, but there has been a fair amount of adjustments made in their company. Just got the memo today they are cutting hours (therefore pay) in the summer (although only 5%, last summer was cut by 15%).

Pastamom
04-15-2010, 06:43 AM
I thought we were safe - DH works in IT in the insurance industry...He had survived a take over in 2009 and lay offs that went with it. He had asked his boss repeatedly if his job was safe. Came into work in October and was told that he and his whole department was being let go...(the week after he won the employee of the month...) 6 months later - barely a nibble ...

I teach at a small private university that's having financial problems due to the endowment fund and some other issues. In December they laid off some non-teaching personal. Haven't heard anything lately if there will be more lay-offs this summer yet.

solfan68
04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
DW is still educating the next generation, and people are still eating(I work for a regional grocery chain). We're feeling pretty blessed amidst the turbulence.

thej
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I work for a state university, and while we've had furlough days, no raises for a couple of years, and all sorts of budget cuts, positions here are still somewhat secure. We've had record enrollment the last few terms, so there's still plenty of demand for our services!

SnowWtch
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I work at a state university as a financial aid adviser. Though we've had layoffs our positions are pretty secure. We can't keep up with the requests sometimes.

DH was here at the university too in IT but was one of the layoffs Sept 08. He hasn't been able to find any work other than a seasonal job since and they let him go the day after Christmas 09.

Caitsmama
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
DH & I are both still employed.

I work PT as a church secretary, so basically, my job is not very secure - it's voted on each year on the budget - and with churches around the country declining, including ours, i say it's only a matter of time before they cut hours for me, in which case i would have to leave..

DH is a state employee, and has had no raises and several furlough days so far -- but, thankfully still has a FT job. He also works PT as a church janitor.

patsal
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
So far, still very blessed to both be working. DH is an engineer and I am a teacher with 14 years in. The first round of budget cuts I will escape, but not so certain about next year.

Pakey
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm the CFO in a large food manufacuring company and our volume increased with the economy as more people are eating at home rather than going out. Everyone got their 2009 bonuses and we are doing annual increases this month and we're taking applications for our seasonal hiring.

My husband owns his own business and the revenue in 09 decreased about 10% but held steady after that.

DisneyFairytale
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I have been working as a casual for our local health care system and have been applying since may of last year to get a full time job. Been IMPOSSIBLE. I have applied for over 100 different positions and nothing. I managed to get 1 interview for which i got a second position as a casual.
I get a lot of hours. I actually make a little more than the full time staff only because I have less deductions taken off my pay cheque but it's been really stressfull not ever knowing ahead what I will have or not have.

Im hoping the new position I am training for, will offer me a full time position or even a solid part time position.

Comes to show you, even the health care system got a huge beating with the economy.

Jennifer in MI
04-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Are his initials B.O.?;)

:lmao: That's hilarious!!!!

My dh is an Episcopal priest. His job is fairly secure. Of course, his salary depends upon bringing in enough money to the church. But, he's a great fund-raiser, so I don't have worries there. Our health insurance, on the other hand, stinks now. Oh well. I'm just thankful that he's employed!!

DisneyMomma81
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Again we got the OT offer for Sat. this morning ~ I'll come in after my kids soccer games and put in at least 6 hours.

ReneeA
04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
DH works as a Project Manager for a tile company. This company is 80 years old, and on it's 3rd generation family owned (not our family;) ). He was laid off for 8 months a few years ago, and eventually called back to work when there's work to be done - normally part time, no more bennies. He also does very little of his original job title - he does everything from laying tile to warehouse work in order to keep his job. He's had full time hours for the past 6 weeks. Prior to that, it was 15-35 hours a week depending on the jobs lined up.

I just finished school and took boards on 3/4/10. I'm a RN and work on a busy ICU stepdown unit. My job looks fairly secure, although I am low man on the totem pole, so I'd be first to go if they downsized. It looks as if they are doing okay since they are one of the last hospital systems in our area to still offer tuition reimbursement and student loan forgiveness if you sign a contract with them. We also got notice that we'll get the first raise in 3 years in January. I'm hoping for the best.

Things are still very uncertain in the metro Detroit area.

blanq
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I still have my supervison job in county government. I have been here for 20 years, so am not at risk for a layoff due to seniority. I could be fired for crappy performance, but I work hard to not be a crappy worker. The field I work in though is at serious risk of layoffs due to cuts in federal and state funding. President Obamas proposed budget would give us a one year funding extension, but if that does not come through I will be looking at laying off staff. :scared:

DH has worked at a coal-fired power plant for over 20 years. He is a shift engineer in operations, and his job seems to still be safe. He is in a union position and has a lot of seniority. He works oodles of OT, which is a huge blessing to us.

So far, so good, but we never take anything for granted. We have our 6 month emergency fund to help if either of us are laid off in the future. I pray we never need to use it!

blanq
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
:lmao: That's hilarious!!!!

My dh is an Episcopal priest. His job is fairly secure. Of course, his salary depends upon bringing in enough money to the church. But, he's a great fund-raiser, so I don't have worries there. Our health insurance, on the other hand, stinks now. Oh well. I'm just thankful that he's employed!!

My sister's husband has been a Baptist pastor for 7 years and their church just closed! :scared1:They did not have the financial resources coming in to keep the church going. So, my brother-in-law is now looking at moving back into the corporate world of IT.

hrh_disney_queen
04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
First, thank goodness people are sending their kids to art school because it's putting food on your table.

Second, what exactly is wrong with art school? Did art suddenly stop being relevant or important?

I am glad that people still send their children to art programs.

I think I gave the wrong impression. My DH's college (SCAD) is great and one of the most prestigious art colleges in the country. If we didn't think art was important, he wouldn't work there, he wouldn't be getting his masters in art, DS wouldn't play the trumpet at MS, and he wouldn't be on the track to attend the Arts Academy when he is in HS.

The "snowflake" comment was about some of DH's students, whose parents will come in and beg for grades, etc. These are college students. He says a lot of them just don't care, and at $300/credit hour, they ought to.

Not sure if that is what gave you your impression. :confused3

blanq
04-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I work in our local/city government (after losing a job in the mortgage industry in 2008). Still have my job, but we reopened our contracts only 6 months after they had been signed and agreed to a two year wage freeze in order to ensure there are no layoffs in our department in those two years.....

We have two years of wage freezes at my county too, so wanted to tell you you have a sister in the state next to yours.:hug: It is hard with the rising costs of energy and food, but at this point I try to count my blessing and be thankful I have a job. We may still have layoffs here, despite the wage freezes.

SkinsFan76
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I work in food manufacturing and have been very lucky. We have continued to grow as people have stayed home, but at a slower rate than before (we are still an indulgence product). All bonuses and raises have continued as well. The raises have gotten smaller because the job market hasn't supported larger ones. We also haven't been backfilling full time jobs as people have left the company hourly and salary. This has prevented us from having to do deeper cuts. We are doing summer hiring for vacation backfills and increased volume, but they are only temporary jobs (no benefits). My wife is a SAHM so her job is pretty safe for now. Overall I feel pretty good about where I'm at, as long as I continue to get good results.

rparmfamily
04-15-2010, 03:33 PM
There are lots of military here! DH is a career counselor in the Navy and has no problems with reenlistments, everyone wants to stay in! In fact, they are trimming out those who underperform.

blu3d3vil
04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm embarassed to say it but I have a recession proof Federal Government job and we have gotten raises every year. I am happy to have a job but hate working for the entity that I despise the most.

Julia M
04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I am a speech therapist in the public schools. I don't exactly do that anymore-I actually run a preschool program for kids with autism-60 kids plus 40 staff. In terms of seniority, I am third in line right now and will be second in seniority next year (of about 16 people) I have one of the most secure jobs around.

DH works for a defense contractor. His project is very close to launching, and there is no way that funding would be pulled now-otherwise basically millions and millions would be lost. Then there is 4-5 years of monitoring that he would need to do (not alot of people would have the background to do it) In 4-5 years, dh might be able to retire-he'll have his points, based on years of experience and age. However, we'll have 1 just finishing college (or hopefully, anyway), another one who has just started and a third getting ready to start, so retirement will be just a dream for him!

Basically, we are budgeting because we have one going off to college, not because of fear of job loss.

Julia

DisneyMomma81
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm embarassed to say it but I have a recession proof Federal Government job and we have gotten raises every year. I am happy to have a job but hate working for the entity that I despise the most.

I agree.

badblackpug
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Still working (more than ever) I'm an RN he's an MD.

jackie101
04-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I am an RN, my job is pretty secure. I work per diem at a rehab hospital & can work as many hours as I want - they are always short staffed

dawnball
04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I quit my recession-stable (non-profit with multi-year grants, last person out the door, good cash-flow-visibility) job on Feb 15 with no new job lined up. I gave notice with a last day of March 12. By Feb 16 I had a new employer eagerly waiting for me to have availability, and I've been working as many hours as I want ever since. With a 40% raise. Oh, and the old job asked me to come back as a consultant, so I've been doing that too. The new job is less stable (it's a profitable startup but could go under) but the experience is invaluable, as are the networking contacts I'm making. And the work is just so much -fun-.

DH is working fewer hours for his recession-stable employer, and more hours with his higher-paying private-sector job, and has not enough working hours to go around.

That said, I expect everything to change in about 15 months. Then DH will have his Master's degree and will be looking for a new job, either with the for-profit company (it's looking increasingly likely that they'll offer and increasingly unlikely he'd accept) or with a new-to-us company. A move is likely, with all of the instability that implies.

Jennifer in MI
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
My sister's husband has been a Baptist pastor for 7 years and their church just closed! :scared1:They did not have the financial resources coming in to keep the church going. So, my brother-in-law is now looking at moving back into the corporate world of IT.

Yikes!!! I've heard of that happening. But, we are blessed with a wonderful congregation that has met (and exceeded) the church's budget (so far). We've lost a few members as they've had to move out of state to find jobs. But, so far we continue to grow. We are being realistic, however. We've got a significant amount of money saved, just in case. But, I think that if he were to be in danger of losing his job, we'd see the writing on the wall well in advance.

I'm so sorry for your sister and BIL. I pray he find employment soon.

Kewz1
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
DH still works for the Army.

Ditto for us.

And I'm a SAHM. Couldn't get fired if I tried. ;)

Kristen

BillSears
04-15-2010, 05:06 PM
30 years with the Federal Government and I get great ratings from every review. At this point it would take an act of congress for me to lose my job and even then I'd be one of the last people fired.

ShannonMB
04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Another RN here and my job in the NICU is as secure as ever. No shortage of premature or critically ill babies being born. :sad1:

I would gladly take my BSN and find work in another area if all babies were born healthy from now on!!! :love: Till then I will go to work and get a paycheck for loving on babies and doing what I can to give them their best chance at a healthy life! :cloud9:

bethy
04-15-2010, 05:58 PM
OP, I'd be awfully surprised if very many CPA's are losing their jobs. Especially those actually working in Public Accounting.

jfoofj
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Yup. I'm a respiratory therapist in a major hospital (level 1 trauma center, multiple ICUs), and I am REALLY high up in seniority in my department on my shift (nights) and we are union, so even if there were layoffs, they would have to lay off the entire department to get to me. In fact this year is the last year of our contract and I have gotten pretty good raises the past three years. I'm sure when we begin negotiations on our next contract we won't do as well.

DH works for the state, and he, too, is in a union and very high up in senority. His raises have been as big as mine, but still, they are raises. His job is pretty darn secure too... in fact he just got a promotion to supervising a department related to the one he has worked in for the last 15 years.

The only thing that has really affected us is the downturn in the housing market, we were contemplating selling our house to move a half hour away, closer to our jobs and family, but we would have lost a ton of equity in our house. We love our house and where we live (we are waterfront on a lake... it can't be beat) SO we commute to work, to family gatherings, to the grocery store, etc. etc. etc.

We are pretty lucky, I know. I have many friends and family members who have been hit hard by the economy. I hope it turns around soon.

luvmarypoppins
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Are his initials B.O.?;)

no. But he has an ever growing google list of stuff like publications etc.

mom2val
04-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Dh still has his job in mangement at a car dealership. He's at the bodyshop. 2009 only saw about a 1% decrease in our income so we cannot complain at all. So far 2010 has rocked and business is booming.

DawnM
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
DH still has his job and they actually hired someone recently! He is a CPA for one of the big 4 accounting firms.

Dawn

aceys_h0ney
04-15-2010, 08:57 PM
I still have my job as a 911 dispatcher. I feel fairly secure we work on a bare bones staff and they can't actually cut any positions. Salary maybe (but they have not) but if we lose even one person we can't provide adequate 24/7 coverage.

MammaNicholas
04-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm a secretary at a state university. So far my supervisor says I have nothing to worry about, our department couldn't function with out me. Our merit increases have been frozen for a year, and civil service is petitioning to have them frozen again. Faculty haven't gotten raises in forever. Last July they laid off 50 faculty and staff. An instructor and an unclassified staff from my department because they cut a program. At the end of May, we will loose 2 professors because the cut program officiall ends then. Waiting to see what happens with this year's budget. I'm hoping he's right, I'm the only secretary in department with over 30 faculty and a department head to deal with in addition to all the students daily.

DH is basicly a SAHD because of his back issues. He works 2 days a week to pay for extra things like Disney.

hsmamato2
04-16-2010, 09:22 AM
My dh stilll has his job,it's HVAC work,so a very necessary thing,but we don't fool ourselves,NOTHING is recession proof!
We just keep our heads down and work REALLY hard,and we don't stop planning for life,but we also have it in the back of our minds at all times,we could easily lose the job,and have to alter our 'fun' plans.......

LuluLovesDisney
04-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I am a teacher and DH is IT director for a school district. We both still have our jobs. I know my job security is very high because I have been here 7 years, I am in a required subject area (English) and I always volunteer for extra training. I trained for the new online gradebook and turnkey others. I trained in NJ State Holistic Scoring. I trained in a special writing program. I trained in a new program for curriculum writing and am currently writing curriculum. That is the advice I would offer new teachers in the field: always volunteer for training in something like that. The knowledge can never be taken away from you, so it increases job security and if you ever did lose your job anyway, having that training on your resume is a great thing.

pediatric-rnp
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Another nurse here, with 37 yrs of experience as an RN, and the last 31 yrs as a pedi nurse practitioner. Nursing has not been recession proof - at least not around here. I've never seen so few nursing jobs being offered, and in the past 2 yrs, new RN grads are not able to find many jobs locally, mostly due to older RNs not retiring as early as they used to. Hospitals are also down-sizing around here. One of our local hospitals (Kent Co Hosp in Warwick, RI) just laid off 48 LPNs last week. They will be replaced by 12 RNs and some CNAs. My employer recently advertised for one RN opening and had over 40 applicants, several of whom were new grads who had been unable to locate a nursing job since grad last yr.

ZephyrHawk
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Haha!!!!

I work in health law. You may have heard of this new law Congress passed through recently. We call it the "Health Care Attorney Employment Referendum".

kristenrice
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM
DH is a police officer who just hit his 20 year anniversary with the department. He is in the top 25 of seniority in a department of almost 300 officers. I am a critical-care paramedic, just promoted to Field Training Officer, and I sit in the top 10 out of 50 employees. Unless either of us screws up royally, our jobs are quite secure, and we are extremely thankful for it:love:.

Handbag Lady
04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I work in entertainment and never had a secure job; they just don't exist in my industry.

I feel secure, though, does that count? I just bought a new-to-me car with a 3-year car payment. :eek:

palavra
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I work for a private school and still have my job-just signed a new contract for next year. My husband works for the state. Although both of our jobs are relatively "safe", I got a 4% reduction in pay for next year and DH has had to take 3 furlough days this year.

JCMHutch
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
DH & I are pretty secure in our jobs. DH is in the healthcare industry. I work at a community college. We didn't get raises last year, but should this year.

Also, for the past 9 years I have been doing editing, write articles and newsletters for a health care consultant on the side for vacation money (I think I might be one of the only people that actually likes HIPAA!).

PinkRhombus
04-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Same here except my husband works for the Fed Govt. I'm a stay at home mom as well.

Same situation. I was working part-time from home, but I've stopped doing that now by my own choice.

heatherleigh
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
My husband's job is definitely not a "safe" job as far as economy goes, but he's fortunate to have it. He works in the car business. Fortunately, the area of the country we live in is pretty strong economy-wise.

Pigeon
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Yup. Dh is a high school science teacher and I'm tenured faculty at a university. We're still OK.

YellowJackets
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
OP, I'd be awfully surprised if very many CPA's are losing their jobs. Especially those actually working in Public Accounting.

I agree, I am a CPA, I switched to a better job 1 year ago and none of the CPA's I know in my area (very hard hit by the recession) are out of work or have been for more than a few weeks.

Silent1CB
04-16-2010, 10:09 PM
DH is full time National Guard. Still employed.

maddiesmom0116
04-16-2010, 10:31 PM

I recently lost my job, but it was by choice, I could have moved to keep it in a restructure, but I decided family is more important and I am now working as a consultant and going back to school, so I am still planning my next Disney trip and a trip to Myrtle Beach this summer. I may not make as much as I did in my so called secure job, but I set my own hours and I am not as near stressed.

crisi
04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't consider our jobs secure, because I don't consider anything "secure." But my husband and I are still employed. No raises for me, but there have been for him. The spectre of layoffs for both of us seems behind us for THIS recession.

Pea-n-Me
04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm a CNA (nurse's aide, which means I do everything the nurses at my facility don't have time or the motivation to do)
It's not about time or motivation. Your roles are very different.

Planogirl
04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I still have my job but many around me have lost theirs so I'm far from secure. DH's area also went through a layoff but he somehow survived. I'm hoping that there won't be more of the same.

scooterpig
04-17-2010, 06:55 AM

This is a very good point. I like your honesty.

My DH had been out of work for nearly 2 years (looking, the whole time) His brother was laid off from Mass-Mutual, and he joined the Navy. It is very sad to have to be forced to work for the Federal Govt. because the economy is so bad. Of course Military is booming..options are few in the civilian world. My 42 year old brother even joined the Army-not because he wanted to-but because he HAD to, to survive. I believe this is a tactic straight from the President down, to keep our jobs sparse, and the Armies full.

My husband finally did get a job driving a forklift for a major beverage company, that we are proud to be affiliated with. They are are environmentally friendly. They hire temps during the busy season so that the full time regular staff doesn't feel the burden of lay-offs during the slow season. So far, so good.

I work part time as an RN, and will not be getting a cost of living or merit wage increase this year. Nursing jobs were plenty 15 years ago when I graduated..but not so much anymore~I read the want ads, and it's slim pickins'.

Dotsie
04-17-2010, 07:06 AM
I work for a government contractor on a really big contract for the Air Force. While I'm pretty comfortable saying my job is safe, you never know.

sritter78
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
DH and I are both teachers. His district is sending teacher to Orlando for a conference this summer (from MO) so they aren't hurting. My district has let some staff go, but only a few teachers. I am not tenured yet, so I could still be let go in the next few years (I do have my letter for next year).

dvcgirl
04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I consider my job fairly recession-proof. I own and operate a small pet-sitting business. My business was up 48% last year, the worst year financially in our nation since WWII. We live in a high income area and so as long as people kept their jobs, they still needed a dog walker. And nobody seemed to give up their vacations and so I had lots of vacation pet-sitting work. Since we carry no debt, I feel like we would have been fine if DH lost his job as I can easily pay our monthly bills with my income.

My DH is in no way recession-proof. He's the highest paid software developer in his company....a software company. Like Crisi, we feel like we've made it through this recession though. His company remained profitable without as they managed the downturn well. In 2009 the 401K match was dropped and salaries were frozen, but this year DH got a promotion, a raise and the 401K match resumes this summer. So, I feel like we dodged the bullet this time around.

Darcy03231
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
DH is stilll employed with the same company and things actually seem to be picking up for him. I'm still employed in the same field, but did change jobs 2 months ago (voluntarily) after the firm I was working for (for 13 years) went to a 32 hour work week in an effort not to lay anyone off. It was also a benefit to my co-workers at my old job because with me leaving they were able to divide my job up amongst the remaining employees and as of the 1st of April they all went back to full time work. I have to say it was a benefit to me too because I love the new job!

Ephany
04-17-2010, 10:03 AM
DH is a contract worker in the energy industry. A few years ago he'd average 70 hour work weeks in the fall/spring, while having winter and summer off. Now he works 70+ hour weeks in the fall/spring, and in winter/summer he's working 40+ hour weeks. It's out of state though, so while it's nice he's employed, he's gone all but 4 days or so a month and his benefits suck. They actually can't find enough people to do the jobs, it's physically demanding and requires a lot of travel. There's a lot of continuing education and testing, so many people only work for a season or two before deciding this isn't what they want to do.

I'm a full-time student and I'll graduate in 3 years. My profession is pretty much recession proof, there are jobs out there, they just might not be where you want. You have to be flexible to the possibility to moving. When I started schooling many companies were offering $$$ sign on bonuses and your choice of location; that's no longer the case. We want to live in a part of the state where they have a very hard time attracting qualified/trained people, so I feel pretty good about my prospects.

NorweJenNY
04-17-2010, 10:42 AM
I've been reading this thread just to see what people actually need to do to have security in their jobs...

I work in government, but not like you think - church government. Let me tell you that people have severely cut giving to churches! And we can feel it! But the funny thing is, that it's the biggest churches in the most affluent areas that seem to be cutting the most, percentage-wise. Some of the smaller churches, in areas of not-quite-so-high socio-economic status communities have actually maintained or increased their giving in the last couple of years! It's interesting... someone could probably use this as a sermon illustration...

I haven't seen raises, nor a cost of living increase in a couple years. At this point, I'm told my job is only secure until at least Sept of this year. We're more than likely going to see staff cuts by then... who knows if I'll still have my position? :confused3

Dh used to work in a popular pharmacy-store chain, and that was a fairly secure job once you were in - but only secure if you basically lived there, suffered from serious sleep deprivation, and completely neglected your family in the process. Thankfully, he's no longer there... we'd prefer financial insecurity over that nightmare! ;)

StephMK
04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Both of our jobs are still fairly secure. DH works in banking fraud and is actually busier now due to the economy, sadly. I work for an insurance agency & will be taking over some work for a co-worker's maternity leave this summer. I don't make enough that they would get rid of me yet, I fill in the holes for overflow work.

DH's bank may or may not be secure. There was a rumor they may be bought out in the next few years. They are large enough I'd don't think they would go under and if his dept gets cut in a merge, I think he has enough experience to get something else even if we have to move to find it.

fkj2
04-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Also in nursing, except that in this economy, nothing is for certain.

It's that exactly.

mannasn
04-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm a registered nurse - a supposedly "in demand" and recession-proof job.. yet they've been cutting our hours, making us work with higher patient loads and less staff, raising our insurance, decreasing our retirement match and of course - no raises.
don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have a job at all - but I'm feeling pretty frustrated too!

KELLY
04-17-2010, 07:13 PM
My husband a electrician just went back to work in FEB after a 14 month lay off. But we had tons in savings. We went threw most of that. But if we can make it til October with him working things will be better. We will have another 200.00 bill paid off. No money in savings but can't complain he has a 40 hour a week job right now. I own a daycare but with people loosing jobs. I'm down to 2 full time kids and 3 part time. I don't make much a week but it is something. Plus I still get to stay home with my kids. Another thing that saved us was no car payments. We basically have are house and utilites and one credit card left and that is it.

We still go to disney every year but instead of deluxe we have been staying value with free dining. But that is really the only thing we do as a family right now.

DisneyLover83
04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Both of our jobs are still fairly secure. DH works in banking fraud and is actually busier now due to the economy, sadly.

Dh does the same type job.... securities compliance, and they have been busier than ever also :rolleyes1 A lot of sales reps get desperate for those commission dollars in this economy.

daisyduck123
04-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been teaching 19 years...I feel my job is VERY secure. We have teachers at my school who've only been teaching 1-2 years. They will go wayyyyyyyyyy before I would. :teacher:

Amandaj0831
04-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I am a teacher but have only taught for 3 years. I also work at a small charter school and I not only feel insecure with my job (we do rehires in early May) but the odds of finding another one around here with hundreds of teachers laid off is slim at best. Plus last year we got minimal raises and Im sure that is the same (at best) we would get this year. Although I would be perfectly happy just having another year's employment guaranteed. I work part time at a local church doing childcare and this will be the second year without raises and they also had layoffs well.

maciec
04-18-2010, 04:38 AM
dh is a police officer and I am a dispatcher

BuzznBelle'smom
04-18-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm a SAHM and DH is a nuclear engineer. He has his master's, a bunch of training, and 20+ years of experience. His company thinks he walks on water. I'm almost embarressed to admit that he's been at the company less than 2 years, and has gotten 2 raises and several bonuses. He'll get another bonus later this year. Plus, refueling th eplant starts in a week--he'll be working 6, 12-hour days (nights actually, this time, which sucks). While he doesn't get overtime pay, he gets paid for the hours he works, at his standard rate, if that makes sense.

So, yeah, he's real secure, due to being so highly specialized. I don't usually say much, I know a lot of people are hurting right now. The way the company throws money at us makes me paranoid. But, we did take a huge flyer on this job--moving our family after 20 years in the same nice town. So, we're fortunate that it's working out.

Jennifer in MI
04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
I've been reading this thread just to see what people actually need to do to have security in their jobs...

I work in government, but not like you think - church government. Let me tell you that people have severely cut giving to churches! And we can feel it! But the funny thing is, that it's the biggest churches in the most affluent areas that seem to be cutting the most, percentage-wise. Some of the smaller churches, in areas of not-quite-so-high socio-economic status communities have actually maintained or increased their giving in the last couple of years! It's interesting... someone could probably use this as a sermon illustration...

I haven't seen raises, nor a cost of living increase in a couple years. At this point, I'm told my job is only secure until at least Sept of this year. We're more than likely going to see staff cuts by then... who knows if I'll still have my position? :confused3

Dh used to work in a popular pharmacy-store chain, and that was a fairly secure job once you were in - but only secure if you basically lived there, suffered from serious sleep deprivation, and completely neglected your family in the process. Thankfully, he's no longer there... we'd prefer financial insecurity over that nightmare! ;)

This is interesting! Our church is in downtown Detroit - in a nice area (right across the street from Comerica Park (where the Tiger's play) and in the theater district). Many of the parishioners are from the nice suburbs. I wonder which category we'd be in! Anyway, I'm just grateful that our church is stable!

jamounger
04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I am a nurse in the metro detroit area. My job is secure but because of my seniority and experience. Our census has dropped, the people who have insurance don't have anything elective done because they don't want their jobs to think they can do without them and the ones without insurance wait until they are dying because they can't afford health care. There is no longer any overtime where 2 years ago I could work when ever I wanted. Out of a class of nurses from a local university that is graduating May 1 only 3 have jobs so far. The last nurse we hired ( an experienced one) applied for 20 jobs and ours was the only one she was even contacted for.I think we will be looking at layoffs soon secondary to our census. My friend who at 54 decided to go back to nursing school told me an instructor told her class that they all needed to consider leaving the state for jobs. Nursing has not been recession proof by a long shot.
My husband who is an engineer for GM and builds trucks made it through all the cutbacks. He is now doing the work of at least 3 people because they are cut back too tight. He works horrendous hours and gets "comp" time. This would be nice but as he does the work of three people he can't ever be spared to get his comp time. They could not even grant him all of his vacation last year so that was just money lost.
I can't complain, we are still working. I work with at least 5 nurses who's husbands have been out of work almost 2 years. 4 of the nurses just in my unit lost their homes. Our income dropped by 17000 dollars last year and my income is on track to drop at least another 8000 this year. I will be working until I am 80 at this rate.

wdwpjs
04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I thought my DH had a secure job but i was so wrong! He was with a MAJOR retailer in this country for 22 years and was a district manger. They decided to let his position go and about 400 + people had to find a job in the company. He applied to over 50 positions and had 3 interviews and ended up with nothing! They did finally offer him a job with the company 3 levels down and about 20,000 less a year in salary. We decided to take the severnce package they offered and get out of the company for good. He has had several interviews and we should know this week if he was hired at another retailer. Cross your fingers! This job would be awesome and we wouldnt have to move !WOOHOO! Everyone shopped at his old employer and we never thought he would lose his job. It is just sad how greedy corporate America has gotten.

Inkmahm
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
NO ONE ever has a secure job. We are ALL just between job searches.

I worked at my last job for 15 years. It was a good job for a good company. It was also eliminated last October. And yes, I am a CPA who worked in a fairly recession proof industry. But I never took my job for granted.

I am still in a job search now and it has been 6 months. I am no closer now to a new job than I was 6 months ago. I"m lucky in that I got a great severance plan and I have no debt with lots of savings. We will be fine until I find somehting new to do. But it still isn't fun to be in a job search. It is very frustrating in this economy.

naf917
04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I work in the pharmaceutical industry while my job is no way secure, i have made it through the layoffs and cutbacks so far. DW is a pharmacist and as long as people need their meds she should be fine.

JodiR
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
DH works as a supervisor for one of the largest companies around. I asked him about job security. The only way he would ever be let go is if the company went under and that will never happen. All the workers would be gone, but the supervisors would stay.

Right now they are booming. That is a sure sign that the economy is getting better in our area.

hanutedmansionmomma
04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Teacher, 12 years experience, not in danger of losing job this year. Pay freeze for next year. Class sizes will increase. Less staff, same amount of kids. hmmmm.:confused3

I sure hope the prices of things don't increase at all so I can come out even over the next year... *sarcastic smirk*

sk!mom
04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, I still have my teaching job and have been renewed for next year. There have been cuts, though. My campus will lose one teacher and one aide at the end of the year. The teacher has been told that she will keep a job as the teaching staff is being reduced through attrition only but she will be moved wherever they have an open position. The aide job is gone.

I taught Summer School last year for the first time and hoped to again but Summer School has seen drastic budget cuts. I'm not counting on it as it seems really unlikely.

My DH still has a job and we consider ourselves blessed as I wouldn't consider his job recession proof.

carrie1626
04-18-2010, 06:09 PM
I work in HEALTHCARE- no patient contact but my job does require at least an associates degree. Been doing it for almost 8 years now and feel very fortunate to have that "security". People don't stop getting sick in a recession.

Although they may stay away from the care they need because of finances, hopefully with healthcare reform that won't be the norm anymore in our future

Sweety_tweety
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I worked for a chemical manufacturer for 20 years and lost my job as of March 31, 2010. The original company I worked for was bought by another company. They have been laying people off since 2008. I have felt quite insecure about my job for a long time. It is terrible to walk in everyday wondering if you are going to have a job. I will get a considerable amount of severance and I have been going to school for Safety Management. I hope there is a silver lining in this cloud. :)

princessbride6205
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I was probably one of those people last year who said we had secure jobs. This has held true - actually more secure right now than we were a year ago. A year ago, our jobs were secure but DH was at risk of reduced hours (which happened for 6 weeks). Even though relatively secure, we had stepped up our savings in late 2008/early 2009 to ensure we had an emergency fund, just in case.

DH and I work for different divisions of the same company - I'm a manager at corporate, he's a manager in the technical/services side. We work at a mid-size entertainment/production company. The company's own productions (i.e. financially at risk) have had a decrease in sales during the recession, but not horrible and we've decreased our start-up costs on each. The good news is that we have an increasing number of outside projects (i.e. guaranteed profit).

We have had wage freezes, extreme decrease in 401k match, and increased workload with no new hires. Not just no new hires, the company has not replaced people who have quit. This is not due to financial difficulties, but to the CEO wanting to do as much work as possible with the least number of people. It looks like we will finally be able to add one temp to my dept this summer. I managed a raise in January as I was promoted and took on more work when my boss went part-time (her choice).

We may be less secure at this company in the future, but our jobs are as secure as they can be in this economy.

sk!mom
04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I taught Summer School last year for the first time and hoped to again but Summer School has seen drastic budget cuts. I'm not counting on it as it seems really unlikely.

Spoke too soon. I got my Summer School contract today so I guess I'm doing as well as last year.

Mickey Fliers
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Yep, my Job is secure.....unless someone else decides to come take care of my kids and do the laundry. ;)

DH is Active Duty Navy and they don't seem to want him to leave any time soon.

nunzia
04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
We still feel secure. DH is a Registered Vet Tech and the practice he works at is owned by our best friends of 22 years. They've made it clear that he has a job unless the practice folds (and they are actually busier than ever). So as long as his health holds he'll work there until retirement.
I work at a church in Finance and actually, since my job is sensitive, no one really knows how to do my job. I expect to be here until I retire..this is a 112 year old well established church. We've taken some hits but are still doing fine.
My part time job is at Hastings and I do the magazines. As long as they have magazines they don't want me to leave, so I'll do it as long as I can stand the physical aspects. Our store is the only entertainment option in town and our coffee bar is the most popular, so actually our sales have increased quite alot in the last couple years
My kids are pretty stable too. DD is a labor and delivery RN and commutes to the critical care hospital in the state. A goodly number of their patients are illegals or on Medicaid, and that doesn't seem to be changing, and babies will be born.
Younger DS is in training to be a police/fireman (yes, this little town has them combined)
Older DS is a graphic artist..I worry about his job the most, but he just got hired with a hopefully stable company (his other went out of business a couple years ago) and if you shop Kroger you may have seen his work.
So far, so good..we try and live frugally and put away, and we could actually squeak by on either of our salaries if forced to.

PrincessTiffany
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM

My husband owns 2 Tire & Auto stores and both businesses are thriving. In fact, we have had business growth since the recession due to the fact that a lot of people stopped buying new cars and decided to maintain their older/current vehicles. I feel like we are pretty secure. Even when people are spending less and cutting back, you can only go so long with bald tires or with a check engine light on. We live in a small suburb in the South so there's not kind of public transporation. People have to drive and maintain their personal vehicles.

Beckypooh1972
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm not a teacher, I work in banking with dh in manufacturing, so far we are ok but as for teachers... in my area of Southern Indiana several schools are going to be closed to save $ which stinks:( for teachers, parents and the kids. Thanks Governor Mitch Daniels for that $100.00 a year property tax cut! I'd have kept paying it to keep 4 more Indiana schools open. With my little ones starting school in 2 years I'm definitely concerned about losing these teachers in the school closings. Sorry for the mini rant but you did ask;)

cdrn1
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
RN, nurse mgr. Secure for now. Hubby is mfg supv....secure for now.

Kahana-ri
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
My dh stilll has his job,it's HVAC work,so a very necessary thing,but we don't fool ourselves,NOTHING is recession proof!
We just keep our heads down and work REALLY hard,and we don't stop planning for life,but we also have it in the back of our minds at all times,we could easily lose the job,and have to alter our 'fun' plans.......

My DH does HVAC/refrigeration too and so far we are ok. I work for a national non-profit in health, so basically I pay for our benefits. We are saving every bit possible knowing nothing and no one is safe from this economy.

okeydokey
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
We both work for state government so you never know. Nothing is secure in FL right now.

Earstou
04-20-2010, 11:18 AM
DH lost his teaching job Friday. He thought he was recession proof because he taught in a detention center and he felt like there will always be offenders around. There are still youth offenders around, but they are being placed elsewhere (not in detention) to save counties money. Scary.

Lost my tiny part-time job a year ago due to the economy.

Good thing we have lots of savings and retirement money saved up.

4 Ears
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
DH is a store manager for an auto parts store. As someone else said as folks are fixing up vehicles the chain and store are doing well

I work for a bank with credit cards, ohh yea we have been busy!

Never say we are secure but we are booked on another cruise a year from now...pirate:

andrews_dad
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
My Physical Therapist wife still gets calls daily from recruiters offering her sign-on bonuses, flexible hours, tons of vacation, etc. They are still in short supply in this area, along with Occupational Therapy & Speech Therapy. With the population aging they will be more and more needed ... how their salaries are impacted by this govt-run health care is still a question mark, though...